Colored Discharge from Crinone Progesterone Cream

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I am hoping someone can help me with the answer to this question since I am stumped.  I am 9 weeks pregnant and this is my fourth pregnancy.  The first two ended in miscarriage and for the third I was put on Crinone Progesterone Cream and it was successful.  I am once again on the Crinone but have been having a pinkish or salmon colored discharge mixed in with the Crinone.  I did not have the pink color discharge with my last pregnancy.  I am not spotting and have been to my Doctor a few times already and everything is going as planned.  I even called the maker of Crinone and they said the dischrage should be white or off white.  I don't think it is blood because it is an odd color and I had the bleeding with my first miscarriage and this looks different.  When I go to the bathroom there is also no blood or anything abnormal.  I have read other comments about people having this colored discharge and their doctor them it was normal.  Has anyone else heard of seen this?? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!  Thanks, Scared to death mom to be.
I have the same thing and thought that I was crazy because everything I have read says white discharge only.  I have had a pinkish tint to the discharge and some even a bit darker brownish color but it is very random- not every day.  I read that the suspension gel does not get absorbed and sometimes has to be removed, so I am hoping that the discharge is old gel.

This is my 1st time using Crinone and I haven't been to the MD yet.  My ultrasound is next week.  I feel fine- no bleeding (that I know of anyways).....

I am trying to stay positive but am a bit worried as well.
THANK YOU!! for your reply.  I thought I was going crazy as well because this is my 2nd time on the Crinone and I didn't have any problems before.  I was very worried in the beginning (and will worry the entire 9 months) but I have read other people have had similar reactions with this.  I think the company that makes the Crinone better do a little more research.  I even called them and they told me the discharge should only be white or off white.  I also had my Dr. check me out but I really believe its not blood and its just the color of the gel.  It is very sporadic just like yours.  Well, I will keep our fingers crossed for both of us.  I know it is very scary but hang in there, we'll get through it. :)
Hi to both to you. I am much relieved after I went through your comments. I am 8 wks pregnant now.I had brownish discharge at the 4th week for which I was put on Crinone gel. Had a previous episode of missed abortion 6 mths back and am very apprehensive this time. This brownish coloured Dischrge after a few days usage of Crinone is making me tensed. My Gynaec did not give much importance to this but I will be keeping my fingers crossed until i get my ultrasound done this sunday.Will pray for all of us here.Let us all keep the faith and take things positively. Will keep you posted .
good luck to you.  I know it is scary but attitude I think has alot to do with it.  stay positive.  Its hard to sometimes when you have been through hard times but it's all we got.  let us know and again good luck.
Hi Ladies,

I just read this and thought I'd post as well.  I'm 6wks pregnant . I've been getting some sporadic *salmon-colored* discharge as well with the Crinone.  I thought I was going out of my mind also.  I had 2 miscarriages before successfully gave birth to my son 3 years ago. I was put on progesterone suppositories with my son. This is the 1st time that I'm using Crinone creme.  I'm curious to find out what's causing the pinkish/salmon discharge.

Take care.
Hey guys,its great to be connected this way.At least you know that there is someone with whom you can relate to. USG on sunday went well.And since I am 33 plus , my gynaec has recommended the double marker test which is to detect any cong.abnormality in foetus. The result is due on Monday. I am just praying that everything goes on well this time. Have left it all to the almighty. We as mortals can only do whatever is possible in our hands. How are you all faring?Just remember whatever happens,it happens for the better.
And for our new friend here, dont worry about the coloured crinone discharge as long as it not staining. Be positive everyting will work out fine for all of us.Be in touch
It was nice to finally find something online that related to my problem, too!  I am the same way - two miscarriages, a healthly pregnacy resulting in our daughter and now I'm on pregnancy #4.  I also took Crinone with our daughter and am once again on it - have noticed the slightly pink colored globules once in awhile, but mostly white ones when they do expel.  I am 9 weeks pregnant and went to the doctor for an ultrasound at 6 weeks (there was a viable pregnancy at that time and a heartbeat).  I go next week for my 10 week check-up and am nervous.  I'm wondering how everyone is still doing?  Also, do you have pregnancy "symptoms" with this pregnancy?  I was nauseous for a couple of weeks and am now better - seems odd - like I should still feel sick.
Hi Val, I thought i was the only odd one out here.I Do not at all have any of the so called "symptoms"of pregnancy. Except that i felt very tired at the initial few weeks along with body ache and mild back pain. Besides that (touchwood,by god's grace) I do not have any "symptoms".Just relax.
I am glad to hear everyone is doing well.  It is good to have other people going through the same thing to talk to.  As for the pregnancy symptoms, I read once that progesterone cream eases morning sickness.  I only symptom I really had (and still have) is weight gain and sometimes being emotional.  I have had no morning sickness but I am very tired.  I know the tired part is the progesterone and the fact that I currently have two kids under 3 to chase around while being pregnant.  But I think the crinone really helps with "regular" pregnancy symptoms.  I will keep fingers crossed for everyone, have faith.
Thanks for the responses!  I went to the doctor yesterday for my 10 week check and I think I can relax a little now - there was still a heartbeat when she used the Doppler!  I did ask about the salmon colored discharge and she mentioned that that is normal.  She said because I gave birth vaginally with my last pregnancy, that my cervix has probably lowered.  When I insert the suppository it may actually touch and irriate the cervix a little and that may cause the pink (blood) tinge in the Crinone when it does expel.  She said no need to worry!  I am wondering when you are all due with your babies?  Good luck to everyone and thanks again for keeping in touch - it helps!
Hello everyone.  

I wanted to thank you for your comments.  I am entering week # 7.  We had a miscarriage back in November and it was the hardest thing we've ever had to go through.  I'm sure you guys can relate, but I'm really scared going into this pregnancy.  Everything looked good when we first found out, but we took a second blood test to make sure everything was proceding smoothly and found my progesterone level had dropped, which is why I'm on the Crinone too.  It's really nice to hear I'm not alone.  I had the salmon discharge you described once and flipped out.  I called my doctor and he gave me the same type of reasoning as the post above concerning the cervix.  Haven't had it since, but definitely get some of the white stuff from time to time.  The other thing that kind of makes me nervous is the talk of the birth defects on the pamphlet for the Crinone.  I was curious your thoughts on it, especially those that have taken it in the past.  

We had an early sonogram last week to rule out an ectopic pregnancy and thankfully that went well, though it was too early to see the little one.  We'll see what Thursday has in store.  I'll keep you all in my prayers.  
I am entering week # 5 and since I stopped taking Crinone at the end of the 2 week wait, I've also been experiencing a white-brown coloured discharge in the form of dryish granules or pellets. I thought it must be because of the Crinone, but I'm still going to check with the IVF nurses. These posts have made me feel much more relaxed about things. All best wishes to everyone here.
Hello everyone!
My doctor prescribed crinone gel to me for the first time. I am just wondering does anyone get any of the side effects, nausea, bloating, joint pain? Do you also stop using the gel when you get pregnant?
Hi All,

I am so glad that I found this site. Alot of the postings have put my mind at ease. My OB also gave me Crinone. I figured that the white/off white yucky discharge was from it, but kind of freaked out when I saw a "salmon colored" discharge today. I am just approaching my 8th week, and my ultrasound last week revealed a viable pregnancy with a normal fetal heartbeat of 129 beats per second! I will admit that the Crinone makes me VERY sleepy. Best of luck to all of you! This is my first pregnancy and I am always looking for support.
Hi  just wanted to thank everyone who made a forum like this...i have suffered and miscarriage in nov and a chemical pregnancy in march...just found out that i am pregnant again and im using crinone twice daily bc of low progesterone levels..and i once and awhile see the salmoned color discharge and was worried thanks soo much!!..also everyone who is taking the crinone are u taking it twice or once daily
I am on once a day with brown to almost black discharge.  I called the nurse and she said  the discharge is normal even the black stuff If there is period like bleeding or pain that goes along with it that is not normal
When did you girls start using the Crinone? The doc didnt start mine until I got a positive test. Which was Monday.
Hi.  I just started using Crinone 8% Gel on 07/14/09.  Yesterday, (07/20/09) I noticed some light pink spotting when I wiped myself.  As the day went on I had brown spotting/discharge here and there but nothing heavy.  Today I am having a lot of brown spotting/discharge but, still not heavy, however, I just went to the bathroom and when I wiped myself it was dark red on the toilet paper.  I don't have a flow, just this brown stuff.  I called my doctors and the nurse said the blood could be from the way I am inserting the Crinone 8% Gel Applicator.  She said I could be hitting my cervix.  She also said it may be implantation bleeding.  She said to call the office by Monday, July 27th if my period does not start.  Could this be my period?  I am so confused.  I wish nurses would offer better help and explanation as to what is going on.  If anyone can shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.  God bless.
I AM EXPERIENCING THE SAME THINGS/ THAT IS WHY I GOT ON HERE TO SEE IF ITS NORMAL. I AM GOING THROUGH In- VITRO FOR THE FIRST TIME AND I AM VERY NERVOUS. THIS ACTUALLY CALMS ME A LITTLE TO KNOW I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE THIS IS HAPPENING TO. THANKS SO MUCH FOR BEING HONEST AND POSTING COMMENTS. YOU HAVE HELPED A FIRST TIME "POSSIBLE" MOM TO BE.
I have been using the Crinone 8% gel for about 3 weeks now. I have the white/off white clumps when I go to the bathroom as well. My doctor told me to only insert the applicator the length of a fingernail to keep from hitting the cervix and causing bleeding. I have done that in the past and it scared me to death. It seems to work better now that I'm not inserting the entire applicator.
Found information on the Crinone Progesterone

http://www.nwreprosci.com/support/~/media/Files/Patient%20Support/Instruction%20Sheets/NCRSFactSheet%20ProgesteroneSupplementation.ashx

-AND-

http://www.emdserono.ca/cmg.emdserono_ca/en/images/Crinone_Patient_Information_tcm463_17892.pdf

Hope this helps!
Hi everyone iam 6 weeks pregnant and iam using crinone gel 8% iand iam have every couple of days some white to dark brown iam so scared i wish the best for everyone
I too went through IVF and my husband and I are nealry 10 weeks pregnant with twins.  I have been on the progesterone 8% jel applicators since the transfer and today was my last day thank heaven.  I too notice little clumps of various colors (pinkish tint, brownish or grayish tint but mostly white or whitish).  I read that the body doesn't absorb it so that would be normal but it scares me to death.  I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks, saw both heart beats and things were great but I don't go in for another one until next week.  Today I had what I consider a pretty large amount of the off colored flaky type clumps when I wiped and it has scared me to death - I am very worried seeing as I have so few symptoms.  I am trying so hard not to be paranoid.  I hope you all are doing well.
I too am facing the same condition of having brown coloured stained crinone cottage cheese kind of thing coming out of my vagina on and off. Sometimes it is accompnied with dried dark brown blood granules. Iam using crinone 8% once a day and this my 5th wk. I was too worried before seeing this blog and now feel releived. My nurse told me not to worry unless u see fresh blood on ur panty.
I am 11 weeks pregnant and also had the same thing you've described.  I freaked out b/c I had 3 m/c and this one is almost out of the 1st trimester.  I think the irritation of the cervix could be valid.  That's what I'm hoping at least.  i will keep posting to let you know how long I carry and if it was ever anything to be worried about.  All I think right now is at least it's not red.  It's only brown specks and some pink.  
Good Luck.  
d102210
i have been on the crinone 8% for 2 weeks now i had an embryo transfered on the 4th of april i noticed some pinkish colour in the discharge and am a bit worried that my embryo hasnt implanted and im getting a period! any advice would be a great help thanks :)
hi i had a transfer on the 9/5 and today i got the red tint im freaking out as its so hard trying for a baby so i rang the hosp and they told me not to worry as it can be a number of reasons and not to stress just ring and ask thhe nurses they will tell u good luck
Weird and scary looking discharge from using Crinone is completely normal.

It may look like cottage cheese, it may be tiny clumps or large clumps.  It  may be white, pink, brown or black.  The color may stay the same for two weeks or it may change.

This is what I was told by my doctor (mine was dark brown tiny clumps and scared the heck out of me).

Don't worry about colored discharge!
I am 12 weeks preggers and have been on crinone for two weeks. I get salmon colored, black, grey, off white, brown, white...alll of the above. Sometimes it's in nasty little chunks sometimes huge chunks. I'm so happy to see that this is normal. pugh...
Thank you for posting your concerns and comments.  I am 5 weeks pregnant and have been taking the gel sine my IVF cycle began.  Recently, I thought I had begun spotting/bleeding because I kept on seeing pink, red and/or grey discharge when I wiped.  I am relieved to hear that it is "normal" and that I am not the only one experiencing this.  My anxiety has decreased a little bit...Good luck to all!
OMG.  Thank you for relieving my intense fear about the clumpy off-white and black discharge.  Have been on crinone since 1/19.  Had a transfer on 1/22 and yet to determine my preg. status.  It's better hearing it from women who are going thru same thing.  Will keep the faith.
So I just totally freaked out!!! Went to the bathroom had brown discharge mixed in the crinone! I am just sick on my stomach, it was dark but it kinda looked like the dark blood I had right before I m/c last time:....( I'm an emotional wreck! I'm just now 8 wks and go for second ultrasound on Thursday!  Ultrasound done at 5 wks 6days everything looked good but hr 102! The last baby died right about this time!! I just pray everything is ok!! Any thoughts??
Hi girls, I have been using Crinone 8% since the transfer. It has been 3 weeks now. Yesterday for the first time I had a brownish discharge, there wasn't a spot just the cottage cheese shape discharge mixed with dark brown color. I was really concern. I freaked out!! Thank you for your comments, I feel a little bit better. My doctor told me that everything is ok if I don't see fresh blood. Does anybody has passed the first trimester succesfully after using Crinone? I will be using it until week 12. Thank you!!
I'm glad I found this.  I don't usually do the forum thing, but I was so confused this morning when I found the nasty brown/black clumps!  I also saw the salmon pink discharge a few days ago.  If so many of us have this, shouldn't our drs. warn us so that we aren't completely freaking out?!  Although, I have just used the bathroom and had blood after a few big chunks of brown/black "stuff."  I don't think my outlook is too good.  I go for a blood preg. test tomorrow.  Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome, please!
i'm six weeks pregnant and using crinone gel, i have the pinkish,and brown discharge.this is my second attempt with ivf,the first time i used crinone gel and didn't have any of the colour discharge,just the cottage cheese type and my pregnancy didn;t progress,so i don't think the discharge's colour is related to the outcome.as all of you, i'm scared too, although i feel better after reading your coments.best of luck
HI LADIES I HAVE BEEN HAVING THE SAME N AND OFF, JUST ONCE A DAY.i AM DUE FOR MY PREG TEST WED 18, I HAVE DONE ONE TODAY AND IT SAID PREGNANT 1_2 WEEKS SO I HOPE IT STAYS THAT WAY.

BABYDUST ALL ROUNDXXX
i'm seven weeks pregnant and using crinone gel 8%, onece a day. i have seen some black gel inside the applicator 2 times after I have applied it.  i'm scared.
I had my transfer on 29th May and this 2 week wait is agony!  Today for the first time I had the brown, black, salmon cottage cheese and completely flipped!  I dont test until 10th June.  I thouhgt it was all over but am hopeful that all will be ok as most of you who have posted are already pregnant! I so hope I am too!  I thought I saw a little bit of blood so was a bit worried!  So nice to read about people going through the same stuff!  
Hi everyone. iI am 6 wks pregnant at 5 wks and started having brownish discharge .After my ob put me on crinone 8% ,I am having discharge as dark brown granules. does anyone experience that before
I am on my first IVF/ICSI cycle. My ET was last Wednesday (8 days ago). I have been experiencing a range of symptoms that could be perceived as preg symptoms but I'm trying not to analyse every single thing. I'm holding out for our Beta HCG due on Tues next week. This afternoon, when I went to the loo, I had large chunks of Crinone mixed with clumps of dark brown and black grainy stuff. It's my hope that this is related to an implantation bleed, but that the Crinone has been 'blocking' it from coming out (because of its thick consistency etc), and that therefore it is now appearing this co our because it's 'old blood.' Does that even make sense to anyone. As we draw closer to the end of our 2WW, I'm looking for something to hold onto and be hopeful about.
I was advised by my RE office nurse that crinone gel can cause pink tinged discarge with white discharge too. So it is normal. It can be caused by trauma while inserting the vaginal supp. I am on Crinone and get it once in awhile. My dr told me he's not concerned since my labs and u/s look good and to call if I start getting heavy bleeding. Good luck ladies!
I am 5 weeks pregnant today and my doctor put me on Crinone bc of my low progesterone (10.7) as of last tuesday.  I started two days ago and last night noticed salmon colored cottage cheese.  I also noticed that my cervix is very dry.  Does anyone know if the Crinone will absorb the moisture in your vagina?  It is just a bunch of dry cottage cheese up there now.  I'm nervous bc last month I had a chemical pregnancy.
I am entering week 7 and have been on the Crinone gel since week 4 - this is pregnancy #5 - had 2 miscarriages then 2 healthy boys, so they've always put me on progesterone supplements as a precaution (though this is 1st time with Crinone).  The first few days w/ the gel were fine.  Then I started I started with the dark brown clumps which freaked me out!  The RN said that because I didn't shed my lining by getting my period, there is a lot of old blood up there and it will mix with the Crinone and you'll get this brown color.  It stopped after the first week.  For the most part it's white now, but occasionally has some color to it - like a salmon, peach color.  They also said to enter applicator in only 1/2 way so doesn't irritate or knick the cervix as much.  
So incredibly relieved to read all of your comments.  I am 10 weeks into my first pregnancy.  I have been taking the crinone for about 1 month now and was very worried when I started to see blackish-grey clumps when I would go to the bathroom.  I immediately went to my gynecologist.  She did not know what it was and after doing an exam and removed some of this, sent it to the lab.  My labs came back normal.  Although I was happy to hear the labs were normal, I was still a little uncomfortable to not know exactly what this was.  It makes more sense now.  I continue to have this discharge from time to time, some days more heavily than others.
I am 2 days late. I have been trying to get pregnant for a while. Went with my husband for a rest/holiday and i have come back feeling tired, sniffles and bloated. I have been taking crinone for over 12 days now. Could i be pregnant or does crinone delay periods? Love to hear from anyone
The things we endure to experience Motherhood!!!!
Boy am I happy to have come across this forum.  I am 6 weeks preggo with our first child and I just started Crinone this morning!  Now that I’ve been forewarned, I will try not to freak out if I do experience any of the side effects mentioned here.  I’m happy to know that I’m not alone and that there’s other Mommy-to-be’s having to use this medication too.
I will keep all you ladies in my prayers and hope for the best for us ALL.
I am Husband of 5 weeks pregnant wife who is using Crinone. My wife too has brownish or pinkish discharge after using Crinone. The colour discharge doesn't is not noticed every day. She gets very tensed when this happens.Nice to know others had similar experience and its not dangerous.

If so many users have experienced it then the makers of Crinone should put this information on their product material. I am calling the company in the next days for clarification.

My wife is now into 7 week. Her spotting has completely stopped since last 10 days. Her progesteron levels were slightly on the lower side even with One Crinone. She was of opinion that the spotting is caused by less Progesteron hence she increased Crinone from one tube to two tubes plus one Dufastone every day. Gynacologist said increase dosage of Crinone and Dufastone won't harm.  

Saw Heartbeat today.... Was on TOP of the world. Praying that everything goes on well from here.
P.S. - When my wife was spotting she was taking complete bed rest. Suggestion to everyone out there with similar problem.
I am 4 weeks pregnant now but worried if I am having a miscarriage. I have all these aches and pains and as you said very few symptoms of pregnancy. I used to be very tired but feel OK now.  Could this be a miscarriage? The doctor could not see anything today? I know it was a little early but he also saw something dark in my cavity that he said could be indicative of blood.  Now I am just waiting and counting these minutes so that I can have that blood discharged and know what the deal is.  I am going to have a HCG test on friday to see if the levels have dropped....I am so heartbroken and hopeless....I had faith but seems to be slipping now.
I'm curious about your wife's bedrest. I am 40 and 5-6 weeks pregnant also taking Crinone. I had a miscarriage last year and have been wondering if I should be taking it easier. I have an easy desk job but I'm still concerned. Can you share the reasons your wife was given bedrest?
Wow what a great site. This is our second attempt with IVF. We were unsuccessful with our first cycle. I remember having all the discharges mentioned above and then I got the bleed. Let me tell you, it's pretty obvious and you will definitely know the difference between the discharge and the bleed. I am very grateful that this forum has been created. We had our egg transfer last Wednesday (15/2) and I have just started getting the white discharge today. My heart sank and I thought 'here we go again!'. But after reading the above comments I have regained my hope again and will continue to be positive about this.  I wish you all the best with your journeys and thank you for sharing your stories!! Please share your good news too if after the first trimester. It's great hearing your happy news!
I'm glad I found this. I am 5 weeks right now and have been put on the crinone. I have had miscarrages in the past with no successful pregnancies. Rfd is because I have always miscarried before finding out I was even pregnant. I found out very early this time and I am praying this onewill be successful. My husband and I have been trying for 3 years. I have only been on the crinone for 2 days and the first day I had no discharge, today I had a little but of brownish discharge but no blood or spotting. I have had very mild cramping but everyone tells me its normal because my uterus is expanding. The cramping is not severe at all, not even close to period cramps. I'm still a little worried though. Has anyone else experienced mild cramping?
This may be personal but its driving me crazy. I previously had two miscarriages and i am now pregnant again. Very scary but keeping positive because i am 12 weeks and this is the fathest ive gotten. My doctor gave me samples of the progesterone gel to insert once a day. She said normally people stop at 10 weeks but because she thought it would help my nerves she gave me samples from 10 weeks till i got to 12. I recently stopped taking it and noticed i still have globs of theoff whits colored gel coming out of me. I thought it only was doing that before because of having sex but now im a little nervous. I go  to the doctor Thursday and plan on asking her but until than did anyone have the same experience?
Im 5weeks pregnant with twins. ive been using crinone gel (progestrone) and progynova since 3 weeks now, started with very light spotting,light brown clots when I wipe(too much info;)) yesterday I'd period like bleeding n I big clot that came out.i thought I lost my twins.anyway I got an trans vaginal ultra sound today, that confirmed my twins r still there safe.
report:showed resolved sub chorionic bleeding(bleeding in t placenta/uterus cavity. Which doesn't seem tb very heavy, thank GOD:)
Advise frm DOC: to take complete bed rest for next 3months n asked me to stop taking crinone gel and progesterone suppositorie for next 10 days. n put me on Gestofit 100 progestrone Intra muscular inj. Hopefully this stops t bleeding. I've been trying for 4yrs now, it's very hard to face any loss:(( hoping n praying for everything tb normal. All t best to everybody here.
Hi lily, how r u doing? I just saw ur post today, I had similar experience when I see some old white gel coming out. R u taking t gel now, hoz is it? Did u try any progesterone injections? I did take it today, hoping it work.
hello everyone, am on crionone gel now and been having White discharge too had my Transfer 6 Days ago. What are some of the signs you usually have during the use of crionone?. in less than one week i will be going for pregnancy test. This is my first time and am nervous. I pray i share your stories of pregnancy too. Did anyone take a test earlier than  2weeks.
Goodluck to you all
Hello All, I am from India. I am soon to enter into my 6 weeks of pregnancy, Its been just 3 days that I have been using Crinone 8%, this is my first pregnancy. Today Suddenly I found brown discharge with the gel. I am super scared, I am 24 and really want my baby with me. Though all of your comments and reviews have put me at ease, on Monday I am going for TVS for the first time ever in my life. It seems you all are my friends. Please do put me in your prays.
Hi all,

Just had a question, I have been TTC for 10 years with not a single pregnancy :(
Had a lot of medical help but still no luck, very low AMH now and I'm 34, my Dr tested my blood this month after a post coital test and showed that I did ovulate, so he prescribed my cronine 8% for 12 days. How soon 'if I'm not pregnant' should my period arrive? I'm only 2 days late so far.