Complex ovarian cyst and resolution

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Complex ovarian cyst and resolution

I was recently diagnosed with having a 2.2 x 1.2 x 1.2 (cm) complex ovarian cyst on my right ovary.  I 1st visited my GYN late last year due to some spotting issues.  In February of this year I had a period that was TEN days late.  This has NEVER happened to me, with the exception of pre-pregnancy, but I'd had a tubal ligation over 10 years ago.  I was so concerned about this that I actually DID take a pregnancy test.  It came back negative.  When my period finally did start, it seemed fairly normal.  The next month I had another unusual period.  It started fast and furious and I ended up bleeding heavily and passing blood clots constantly for TEN days straight (I don't know what it is about this TEN day thing for me...... Ha Ha)  Anyway, I got really concerned (I also have HPV and my last pap smear had come back "abnormal" on the first go around but "normal" on the 2nd).  Not wanting to take any chances I scheduled a visit to my GYN, although the nurse didn't seem to think I had any problem but I was persistent about being seen.  The doctor did a pelvic exam and said that everything looked fine, but he ordered a "transvaginal ultrasound".  This is how the cyst was found.  I know it's small, but from everything I've read, the "complex" cysts are supposed to be investigated via surgery.  I've read how the simple cysts (if bothersome) can be gotten rid of by birth control pills, but have not found anything like that about the "complex" type.  I have a 2nd ultrasound in 2 weeks (6 weeks after the first one was done) to take a look.  What might I expect?
I am also interested in feedback on Complex Ovarian Cysts.  I had a vaginal ultrasound recently that revealed a relatively small complex cyst on my left ovary.  My internal medicine physician ordered the ultrasound after I presented with significant symptoms, include severe bloating, frequent urination, lower back and side pain, dizzyness and nausea and constipation.  A CT scan ruled out digestion and other issues and revealed the suspected cyst, paving the way for the ultrasound.  I have an appointment with my gynocologist on Wednesday (known as one of the very best in all of Chicago), but in the meantime she has told me over the phone that there is "no way" that a small cyst (roughly 2.5 x 2 cm) is causing those symptoms and clearly seems unconcerned.  The CT ruled out anything else, and everything I am reading on the net (I know - bad idea) is telling me that symptomatic complex cysts should be investigated further.  I get the feeling that my doctor is going to suggest the wait and see approach, but I am terrified and would much rather have a biopsy performed to let me know NOW that it is or is not cancer.  My grandmother died of ovarian cancer, and I have 3 small children at home.  This whole thing is paralyzing me, and I just want some guidance.  Any feedback would be much appreciated.