Considering Vegetarian/Vegan Lifestyle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Considering Vegetarian/Vegan Lifestyle

My husband and I are considering switching to a vegetarian lifestyle for health reasons. Our son has severe allergies to milk and egg so it wouldn't be a problem to cut that out of our diet since I already cook special for him anyway. We have tried different vegan dishes and so far we love them but I still don't know if I can completely give up meat. We are thinking about basically eating vegan but once a week or once every other week adding fish to our menu. We would of course allow our son to eat meat if he wants it.

Does anyone have any stories, websites, favorite vegan cookbooks, vegan recipies, etc. they can share with me? Are there any side effects during the switch? I would like to have as much information as possible so we can make an informed decision. Thanks for your help!
The most important thing to remember is to make sure you get protein you are lacking from meat.  There are whey protein shakes you can drink.  I don't know if you want to go down that avenue or not.  A website that I frequent, News Target Insider, gives a lot of helpful information for those following a vegetarian lifestyle.  It also gives a lot of up to date research articles on toxins and disease prevention without drugs.  I do eat meat, but try not to eat a lot of it.  I am careful with fish.  A lot of fish that is farmed may contain mercury.  It is best to eat fish from the wild.  It is expensive though and is usually only found in health food stores.  I also take a cod liver oil supplement for Omega 3s and vitamin D, especially in the winter months, with the lack of sun.  I hope this helped.  Good luck.
I agree with sk2006A that you should consult a nutritionist first... maybe a Vegan nutritionist?  That's what my parents did a few years ago and still doing it now because of my Dad's health problems (lungs, heart, liver, kidney).  My dad now has a vegan diet program where he follows everyday.  His kidney stone disappeared without a surgery... and he's been pretty good so far with his health.  They eat mushrooms as substitute for meat, and other veggies that have proteins in it.  Try this link:  http://www.drmcdougall.com/

Though I can't give up meat right now because of my weird cravings, but someday I want to follow the Vegan diet.
hello!! I was reading about these 'digestive enzymes' last night and how if you take one a day they are very helpful with proper digestion.  what exactly are tablet enzymes??
thank you.
haha it's funny I laid in bed all night thinking about these tablet enzymes and I know u're just the girl for the answer!
You are too funny. I think I read somewhere that you are 25.  How awesome that you are so open minded to natural health.  I didn't look into it until I became sick a few years back, and am now 35.  As we get older and/or eat processed **** (to put it bluntly) our bodies have a difficult time digesting food.  I don't think we were meant to eat processed Mccardboard, but that's my opinion.  Digestive enzymes help our bodies to digest food better.  If food isn't digested properly, it causes havoc in the digestive tract.  I am amazed at how many people are constipated and only poo once or twice a week.  AND don't know that is not normal. I take capsules from The Garden Of Life.  I know there are a lot of brands out there that are just as good.  Just beware of additives and fillers that may accompany the supplement.
My mother in law is a vegitarian. She started because she got the stomach flu after eating meatloaf. she hasn't eaten meat since. She doesn't take vitamins. she's 59, by the way. she has been sick ever since she started not eating meat.but like I said she doesn't take supplements. and it may be her getting older. I guess to me, I couldn't imagine not eating meat. It's like a staple at out house everyday .Most of the time three times a day.
i would suggest consulting a nutritionist before making the switch.  it can be hard to get in all the protein and other nutrients on a vegeterian diet.  it can be done, but you really need some expertise on the subject.
My husband is in contact with a friend that is a vegan nutritionist and is also a cook. If we decide to convert to veganism we'll do it the right way. She will coach us and help us prepare menu's until we understand how to eat properly in order to ensure we get the right nutrients. My husband and I are not against eating meat, we've been doing it for 30 years. We're just looking at a healthier lifestyle and feel this may be the way to go.

Thank you timmy06 for the website. We'll look into it.
We eat almost no meat because, well, as far as we're concerned meat is dead, defenseless animals. Contrary to popular belief (and the Atkins diet), too much protein is actually not good for you. Sooo, it is not at all hard to get all the protein you need... in fact, I don't know how you couldn't, unless your idea of a vegetarian diet is potato chips. Although we do eat eggs (or should I say Egg Beaters) and dairy, which helps. We eat a LOT of soy, lots of whole grains, lots of fresh vegetables. Yogurt. I also love nuts/nut butters and cheese, which are good sources of protein but very high in fat, so eat them in moderation.
I agree with the posts on nutritionist, I am a vegetarian myself, the only meats I will touch is seafood, I think it is healthier because alot of the beef cattle and chickens, are given steroids to make them bigger to produce higher quantities of meat, and it is very unhealthy, many think it is leading to children growing larger in height and size, and steroids have been proven to be quite dangerous in past years.  I do have to cook for 2 different eating habits, my husband and kid do eat meat, so I have to prepare meat dishes, I do stick with the leaner meats for them. I just choose not to eat them.  Not sure of weight loss that is involved, its good to see nutritionist to make sure of all vitimans being included in your diet when not eating meat.