Continual labial itching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Continual labial itching

I've had labial itching in this area since I was at least 14 (I'm 50 now). The itching is confined to the area at the top and sides of the large lips nearest the clitoris, but not INSIDE the lips, strictly on the outside skin of the large lips. Whether I shave my pubic hair or not doesn't affect the itching, it itches either way. When my pubic area is hot, the itching is intensified, as it is when the area is wet from swimming or bathing. Wearing a wet bathing suit can be extremely aggravating. Sometimes sexual foreplay increases the itching. The last two or three days before my period usually causes the itching to increase; then once my period begins the itching sensation lessens considerably. After the period is over, the itching sensation starts again.  The type of underwear doesn't affect the itching. Neither does changing my detergent, or soap, or towel material. I have no infections. The itching does NOT involve the vagina or the vulva, just this area of skin at the top of my labia. I have mentioned this itching to my gynocologist periodically, and he is noncommittal about it. I've used anti-fungal creams, anti-itch creams, moisturizers and tea tree oil at various times. All of these things stop the itching for a day or two, then it returns. I've also used Diprolene cream, which is prescribed for my hives. The Diprolene also only works for a day or two. I'm curious to know what might be causing this since I've had it all my adult life, and if there's a way I could get rid of it once and for all.
Just curious--do you notice any link to arousal or orgasm? We can interpret those feelings in a huge variety of ways...

Anyway, I think I'd see a dermatologist. This is what they do, after all.
I am 33 years old and for the past four months I have also experience a similar continuous itch, especially on the part where my labial pubic hairs rub together generating heat, which makes walking uncomfortable.  I have tried all kinds of vaginal anti-itch creams, tea tree oil, triple anti-biotic ointment, Neo.sporin... but they only provide temporary relief.  

Sexual intercourse often makes me itch even more.  No matter how much I clean myself, the itching persists.  I used a mirror to see if there was any skin discoloration, but the skin looks normal.  The itch is only in the warmest and moistest parts of my pubic hair.  Hydro.gen per.oxide is the only thing that makes the inching stop the longest (about a day).
I've been CURED of the ITCH!!!  Thank you Lord!

It's been two days since my previous post and I have been itch-free since!  Here's what I did:
(1) I stopped rubbing and scratching!
(2) I did NOT use any soap "down there" during my shower, but gently wiped myself clean with a soft wash cloth in the shower.
(3) After my shower I put some Hydro.gen per.oxide on my itchy labia parts.  (It stung a little, but wasn't nearly as unbearable as the itching had been!)  I waited a little while and gently patted dry.
(4) For the first time, I tried using flu*cinonide cream USP, 0.05%.  For the first time in months I was able to sleep without squirming around all night.  The itching was GONE!  I applied just a little each night thereafter although I did not itch or "tingle".

I think flu*cinonide is prescription only.  My sister uses it for her eczema.  I did NOT check with a doctor before using the flu*cinonide, but I thought it was worth a try since it stops my sister's itchy eczema rashes.  It contains synthetic steroids used for anti-inflammation.  I can't tell you how great it feels not to itch anymore!  YAY!
i had the same itiching. turns out it my thyroid was out of whack. have your levels tested by a dr. it may alleviate your symptoms when you begin a supplement. the thyroid regulates hormones, an imbalance with them is probably the root cause of the itching. don't just treat the symptom. sometimes a holistic or naturopathic dr. is much more helpful.
I have had the same thing for years.  It is utter misery.  I have never heard of what you used.  Clobetasol is what usually works for me.  I researched this and there is something called lichen sclerosis that will make this itching.  My gyn. didn't seem to think I have that, but I don't know.  
im 21 now and i think we have d same problem but mine started about 2 years ago until now. most part of the itchy area is just the upper external labia.it so itchy and so uncomfortable especially at night when u go off to bed. NO abnormal discharges or odor notice.i didnt know what exactly cause about this but all i guess it caused by antibiotic ive taken 2 years ago but im not sure about it coz i didnt see a doctor yet... until now, i feel like its getting worse coz i kep scratching it heavily coz i just cant stop it.its really annoying!! im planning to use vagisil from stores but does it help???pls do feedback coz its driving me crazy.i cant take the itchyness anymore.and now it looks like a map with pale color on afftected area with some dryness and looks like theres a little bump also.the worse is.. from keeping scratching it,some little scars develop and a bit painful esp if it gets wet...please help me too..thank u...
try vaseline down there two or three times a day. that will protect it and allow it to start healing. wash only with water also down there, no soaps.
I've also had something like this too! I wonder though...if it has anything to do with eczema? Because I suffered with that as a child..and I wonder if it happened because of that? I've tried so many types of anti-itch stuff, but nothing seems to work...it comes and goes. sometimes I won't have itch for like 3-4 months then it will come back..but it never truly goes away...it's so embarrassing.
I have had this for years also.  One doctor thought it was lichen sclerosis.  I looked it up, and I seem to have all the symptoms except for the really severe ones.  Clobetasol is the only thing that helps it, and just keeping the area clean.
I have suffered from an intense itching of the labia for 10 years. Try everything I can. I have been to 5 doctors. Nothing makes it go away. Clobetasol helps but doesn't fix the problem. I wash all the time. It helps for a few minutes. I have used hydrocortisone creams, antibiotic ointment, dandruff shampoo(this helps for awhile), alcohol(burns but takes the intense itch away for awhile), soak in the tub with a little vinegar. All these things are very temporary relief tactics. I really think I will just suffer from this for the rest of my life. I have had a skin biopsy that showed nothing. This is not nothing! At times I want to scream, I am so aggrivated that I don't know what to do anymore.
I suffered from the same itching as  gypsy1 & I guess most of you. I had itched so much that the skin of my labia had turned to a leatherery state & went from a healthy pink to 'blood loss' white. None of the gyn's I went to knew what it was or how to treat it. I figured I was doomed to suffer with this the rest of my life. I had tried everything & nothing helped. Than I finally found a gyn that sent me to a specialist gyn that specialized in the labia. This woman was a god send!! She GOT RID OF THE ITCHING!! It is a dermatology problem & this doctor knew what it was as soon as she seen it. I don't remember the medical term for it but it is called scratch & itch syndrom (syndrome). She prescribed Nystatin & Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP. Either go to a dermatologist or to your gyn & tell them that is what it is & ask them to prescribe the cream for you. Make sure it's the CREAM as this stuff also comes in gel form. It will take about 6-8 weeks of treatment with the cream. You need to start appling 3 times a day, every day for a week. Than twice a day for a week, than twice every other day, than twice every 3 days. Than start once a day for a week, than once a day every other day & so on. It takes about 6 -8 weeks for the whole process, but it's worth it to be ITCH FREE!!  You need only to apply a little, not a big 'gob' of the stuff. You also need to switch to a "Free" laundry detergent. Soap does irritate. She also told me that (if you can do it) underwear holds moisture in & creates bacteria & helps it to grow. Not wearing underwear is the best. I've been itch free for over 7 yrs now & it's wonderful. The blood is back & my labia is pink again & not leathery. Every once in a while I feel it trying to come back but I put the cream on for a few days & it keeps the itch at bay! My gyn is more than happy to give me a script for the cream if I need it. If you live in Arizona in the Phoenix area the specialist's name is Dr. Rebecca Lavy. She is great!!!  

I have been having this labial and anus itching since young. I have had thrush tested before and it got cured for a while and again the itchy started. But I was afarid to go to the gynocologist again and think is normal and will never be cured permanently.

I am actually from Thailand and now I live in Australia. Coming to Australia I dont which gynocologist is good to see.

I went to a femake doctor in Perth, very caring and told my problem. She made me have a test done last month  thursh, bacteria and uninary track test and it seem I had bacteria infection.

I was given a cream to insert to vagina and after using that I still have the itchy .

I went back to Thailand for a holiday and met a gynogologist. I had a test again in Thailand to confirm I dont have anymore infection. To my surprise I was negative in all the test. But I told the doctor i always have the itchy feeling in the labia.

First I though it might be my hair. But the doctor gave me Betnovate cream to apply on the effected area. To my surprise just in the first application i could feel the different. The itchy was not there but I need to use this cream 3 time a day for a while to see weather it stop completely when I use it. I was reading throught the Betnovate cream and it seem to be treatment for eczema and other type pf dermititis. I am not sure I got eczema but this cream really help me and I will continue using it.

Below is the website about the cream
http://www.mydr.com.au/cmis/PDFs/CMI5756.pdf

Hope this help.
I had this itch for about 15 years.  My left labia majora was all enlarged and extremely itchy and painful.  I tried a couple different doctors and all kinds of herbal self help stuff with 0% difference.  Mine seems to get worse with my period.  I did a lot of research on it and it is amazing how many women suffer from this.  I finally found a forum where one women found the problem and was cured.  So I took all this information in to a gyno.  They did a biopsy of the area and it came up as hypertrophic squamous mucosa with mild hyper parakeratosis.  That's a mouth full.  I reserched it under this name and found nothing so fa,r unless I researched each word.  The gyno told me that it was the same thing as squamous cell hyperplasia, which I found easily.  She gave me a strong steroid ointment to heal it and a numbing ointment to releave the itch.  She also gave me an antihistimine stonger then benadryl to take orally at night.  I have been using them know for 1 1/2 weeks.  My labia has almost returned to it's original size and the itch is just barely there at night.  My suggestion is to call around and find a gyno who is familiar with this term befor you see them.  I sincerely hope you find the answer.
I've had the itch for 2 years and I've talked to my doctor about it and gave me a cream for ir but it did not help. Im trying to get rid of it as soon as posible.
Any sugestions?
Okay, it's been about a year since my last "I'M CURED!" posting.  I regret to say that, after several months of bliss, the infamous itch came back!  It seems to flare up with excess heat, friction, and perhaps my period, especially when the weather is hot.  Sigh...

I have tried different treatments only to have temporary relief.  Here are the things that gave me temporary relief:
-Bac-tine antiseptic spray (provides a coolness that overrides the itch).  It's an over the counter first aid product.
-Hydro gen par oxide (may burn if you've scratched a lot, but it stopped the itch so I could sleep)
-Clot-rimazole and Beta-methasone Dipro-pionate cream (prescribed by my GYN) -- This helped for only about a month or two.
-Cold low-fat vanilla yogurt (this does not leave greasy build up like some creams).  The yogurt is cool without any burning or tingling and left a fresh smell.  Provided overnight relief.

Each product above was used after a shower and thorough gentle cleaning of my vagina.

My GYN said she didn't see any skin problems.  ARRRGGG!!!

I will try switching to baby shower gels and continue with the yogurt and see if that helps.  I'll let you ladies know how it goes!
I have been dealing with this problem for years and years now.  The only relief I ever got was from Nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream.  The problem I have is that you have to see a doctor to get the cream and I cannot afford a doctor right now.  So last week I bought Nystatin cream from a Canadian pharmacy, it came in the mail today.  I couldn't get the cream with Triamcinolone because its a steroid cream.  Nystatin is used to cure fungal infections, and Triamcinolone is for the itching.  Hopefully the Nystatin will work alone.  I hope all of you will find relief soon, and I will post my progress with the Nystatin cream in a few days.  Luck to you all!!!   xxxxxxxxxx

P.S. Im going to post this on a few different discussions.
Yea I too was once a sufferer (for about 10yrs), I had grafts taken and tried everything to no avail.anyway since falling pregnant and having the baby it just went away sooo I strongly believe it is hormone thyroid related. Ladies check it out!
You are the first person to even touch on the correct answer to MILLIONS of females problems with itching DOWN THERE. I was shocked to learn that WOMEN CAN have PSORIASIS or ECXEMA. I was, and still am shocked. Millions of women are taking that little pink pill thinking they have the usual yeast infection when THEY DON'T !!  Another FACT,......MEN GET YEAST INFECTIONS ANY TIME they have oral sex or sex with a female that has a yeast infection.  SHE takes HER meds., shes finally better, then, BAM!! He just have it back to her!!  So, if you go to OB/GYN to be treated for regular YEAST INFECTION.........TAKE HIM WITH YOU SO HE CAN BE TREATED ALSO!!  Men have ZERO symptoms.  None.  What's new?!  Women always pay the price. Right??  If your partner isn't treated same time as you, you're throwing your money away and wasting YOUR TIME.  Take care!
I've read just about everyone's comment and I have been having the same issue for sometime now. Has anyone thought that it could be the pads or pantiliners that we use? I personally use Always. Also I try my best to add vitamin E and miusturizers because I believe the itching comes from dryness. I just wish someone would take us seriously. It's very annoying and even though I don't have odors it discharge I find it to be very embarrassing.
please,mine is that i ve been havin continual vaginal burnin.i dont know what could be the cause. please some advice.
thank you ! for all u ladies  out there for sharing your views ,i thought i was the only one having this irritating problem  .for about 6 months now .i also tried a lot of creams too and thought.this was it ,but just yesterday ,i found from a ayurvedic site in India .that a herbal treatment which is in-expensive and found in every home .....GARLIC ; yes garlic just 1 clove cut into half (crush a little ) if you want instant relieve ,because its going to burn a little in that sensitive part ,but its worth ,rather then using all those expensive creams and medicines. so put garlic on both sides of ur labia and relax on the bed for 2-3hours at most after wards ,dub a cotton wool ball into vinegar and wipe the area gently ,bath after 1-2hours.
TRY IT !!!! IT WILL WORK WONDERS
iam 45 of age and had this for last 6months ,but yesterday i slept so peacefully ,and the size of labia was back to normal too

your well wisher
Hi there, I'm 16 years old and this has been going on for about three years for me and I wish I could tell you it is better. Unfortunately not...I have been tested for about everything under the sun, had a biopsy, blood work, yeast & glutein free diets, patch testing! Nothing, absolutely nothing. I am at my wits end about it and if I knew what it was or how long it was going to last I would feel better. But I don't, I'm scared that it will last forever, and I don't know what to do. I even had my normal doctor suggest that it is all in my head! All in my head? All in my head!?!?! I have never imagined anything like this before, why should I start now. I went back into her office recently for a physical, after having not been back since then, and she asked me about it. Saying, "what about that other problem you had? It just went away." Well no, M'AM it did not go away. "Oh so it's just off and on then?" No! It's all the time, 24/7, I'd like to see you live with it.

It doesn't help that I was stupid lately and decided to shave my bikini line, with my condition right now....worst mistake ever. The next three weeks or so (at least I hope it will be that short!) are stretching out in front of me and I honestly don't know how I will be able to survive it. I don't think I'll be wearing anything but skirts or dresses for a while.

While I don't have any cures, I do have one thing that I swear by. GoldBond Anti-Itch cream, the menthol is amazing. I can't go more than a few hours without it now and I'm worried that I have become addicted, but then again, I don't care. If it helps me live, then I'll do it. It's like cancer patients, give THEM the damn marijuana already. (Not saying I think marijuana should be legalized, but in certain medical cases, yes, which it is.)

Also, look into yeast ( possibly glutein and diary as well) free diets, if you do some research you will find that these things can cause all sorts of stange, symptoms that doctors won't find! It's just a thought...

Also, I really and truly believe that SOMEHOW my symptoms are related to stress. If you can break out when you're stressed why can't your sensitive skin down there be affected? I personally have always found that it is worse when I am stressed out. Unfortunately I've never found any relief from anxiety meds...

Also, if you are embarressed to go to the doctor. First of all let me tell you, it does suck, and I can MORE than relate. I've had at the very least 5 different doctors look down there, and more than one occasion. But, it'll be worth it. It took me about 5 months for me to tell my own mother! And I wish I had done it sooner.

If anyone reads this, sorry, it was kind of a rant because I think I'm going to rip my hair out over the next few weeks. You know that feeling where you are going to explode inside? It keeps building and building, and your heart beats faster and you just want to get away. But with something like this...you can't.

I'm glad I got to get this off my chest, it's hard to always hide it? Isn't it? It's not like someone who has broken their leg and although it's very painful, it's not embarressing and everyone can sympathize (and on occaision make allowances for you). Not only that, but if you did try to tell anyone, they would immediately say, "oh well it's a yeast infection. Or it's an allergy. Or it's this...or that..." and you know that you've tested all those things and it's NOT them... And then that makes you feel worse.

I'm crying as I write this, I don't know what I do to deserve this. I know we all have our cross to bear, but I wish this wasn't it.

I will try to remember all of those far worse off than us, and I advise you to do the same. Stay strong, because if you do, then maybe I will be able to as well.

I don't know you, but I love you guys and I am so sorry... (and sorry for my scary long post)

^_^ Faith
omg!!!  I thought I was alone.  I've been like this since early childhood.  My mother could not find a pic without my hand in my crotch scratching.  I've been through it all and seem them all and tried it all.  It's now so bad that it's starting to portray yeast like symptoms.  SOMEONE HAS TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON WITH US!!!  I don't know what to do anymore!
First of all I have to say how relieved I am to know that I'm not alone with my itching and scratching!!!

So, I'm 27 years old. The itch has been with me about two years now, it started out of the blue. Like some of you, my itch is basicly on one spot of my large labia, the upper side of the right large labia actually... My only symptom besides the itch is that the labia is swollen from all the rubbing and scratching. No color changes or nothing else.

I do not want to hear anymore that I have a yeast infection, because I know I don't!!!

Only relieve I've found are showering "down there" with as hot water as my skin can stand (really hot!) and putting some "colds rub" (you know that jelly that has menthol smell, that you use when you have flu?). The jelly helps me to fall a sleep, sometimes I have to add it middle of the night when I wake up to the scratching.

I'm just wishing this itch would end!!! :(
Hi I too have suffered in silence, when i have spoken to the doctor/s it has been passed off as a yeast infection -if only.
I read about the steroid cream in this forum, returned to the doc she has prescribed Eleuphrat ointment 0.05 %
Use once a day before bed but not immediately after a shower. The first two nights it caused minor stinging and i was still itchy by the third night I had no irritation . THE ***** OF AN ITCH HAS GONE.The treatment is to apply at night for 4 weeks then every second night for 4 weeks.
Good luck ladies. I cant tell you how relieved I am to have found a treatment that works. This itch started when I was about 14 and has plagued me for over 20 years
please look up pinworms!  I've been having this problem for months and months and have been looking everywhere online for what it could be and how to fix it. tonight in my search I found out about pinworms and did some research. I now realize that what I saw and thought was discharge was actually a worm. they caused a few other health problems I've been having as well. tomorrow I am going to buy something called "Reese's pinworm medicine" and make my boyfriend take it as well and wash our sheets and clean the toilet really well. these months have been torture, especially at night. seriously go look up pinworms and see if that could be your problem!
I am 30 and just the very top of my labia (not my vagina!) started itching about 2 weeks ago. Reading this forum makes me think it might be there forever! But I am wondering about the people suggesting that it might be hormonal as I am 20 weeks pregnant and have been out of whack for the past 2 weeks as well (dizziness, hot flashes etc.) I am hoping that it will be gone by the time the baby is born or shortly after since my hormones should change. I would suggest checking out a hormone imbalance or something.
P.S. I've never heard of pinworms causing itching only on the labia, usually the itching for pinworms starts in or around the anus...
I have the same exact problem! Constant itching no odor or discharge, mine started when I got pregnant almost 3 yrs ago now and hasn't stopped. It's really aggravating, the same as some of you, mine worsens when doing four play or sex, and especially at night, I've been to my gyno numerous times and all tests for stds and infections came back negative. I've tried creams n now was given a powder which helps for like an hr, I just don't know what to do anymore..
Well, it's been a year since I last posted on here...it is funny to see how I've grown and also depressing because I know that I'm at the same point I was last year.

I haven't made much progress and I blame myself for that, I pretty much took this year off from doctors. I couldn't handle it anymore, it all just made me too depressed.

But now I'm feeling the big push to be well for college, which I'm afraid won't happen. I'm afraid I'll never be better.

I have to schedule a doctor's appt. and hopefully she might have something new for me to try. Maybe, I'll find a cure. After I go and test out anything she gives me, I will come back and report on my success.

Right now I'm attempting to not use any Gold Bond Anti-Itch Cream, which I use to keep myself sane, and it has been terrible. While using the Gold Bond (for about the past two years straight) my skin has become dry and cracked, sort of like the Sahara Desert, and lately I've been wondering how much the Gold Bond is affecting my skin. One of my doctor's suggested the idea that my original itching might have gone away, but I couldn't tell because I was unable to tear myself away from the Gold Bond.

So far my attempt has been horrific, without the regular treatments of Gold Bond my skin has been crawling and has become even MORE dry...despite my attempts to help it with Vaseline. I'm going to hold out for at least a week, but right now the future of this endeavor is looking grim.

I take that back, my outlook on the future is look grim. However much I feel that way at this moment, I know that there is always the possibility that I could be well tomorrow and I will hold out the hope for that sort of miracle.

In the case that tomorrow will not be a day of salvation, I'll get to remember that I've learned a lot from this experience. I realize that my post is not helping any of you in terms of our shared medical problem, but I'm hoping that I may be able to lift any of your spirits, at least a little.

I've learned that everyone has their problems. The only people who know about mine are my doctors and my immediate family, everyone else has no idea. What other problems do others have that I'll never know about? Things that they bear in silence? This sort of awareness is invaluable and from the types of people I have met, ranging from adults to peers, I have realized that so many are oblivious to the problems of others. I'm glad to not live in the unobservant and often unsympathetic world.

I've become a stronger person. Even though I often feel like I'm crumbling, I have become stronger. Opening up to others about our problem is embarrassing and doing so takes courage. Continuing to live a normal life with our problem, that takes strength! Be proud of yourselves!

I've become closer to my family. I mean, how can you not when you have to tell them that "down there" itches... And in my family I include God, I understand that we are all not religious, but I am and I have definitely come closer to God and it's nice to think that this might help me somewhere else in life, I've definitely grown in ways that I would not have had I not been afflicted with this condition.

All in all, I sometimes feel like giving up hope, but where there's life there's hope and as I'm assuming that we have no zombies on this post than I'll hazard a guess that we all have a reason to hope for recovery.

Continue to be strong and I'm sorry for my lack of real content in my comment. I was feeling very down tonight and wanted to do more research when I re-stumbled across this page and I had to write something. It's comforting being able to share your problem...even if you have nothing to contribute really.

Best of luck to you all, I pray that you all find a solution as well. I might die of jealousy first, but afterwords I would ecstatic to see someone beat this dragon we're up against.

-Faith
im 15 had it since i was 13 ish  

i never realy minded it but it left for about a yr and just came bk and is really bad today so i googled and found this i wiped down there and put on pure alovera gel and its all soothed now and alovera id great so im gonna do it for a few wks every night and it should go it git rod of my ingrowing toenail problem so fingers crossed it will work

night

I have been watching this site for at least eight months, reading all the posts and hoping to find an answer because I was dealing with the same exact issues.  Here is what I have found out.  

I decided to change my eating habits to lose weight and made dramatic differences in my lifestyle.  I stopped eating all sugar, salt, dairy and white/wheat flour or starchy foods.  Only lean protein (fish, chicken, lean steak and 93/7 hamburger) and complex carbs.  I kid you not, all issues have disappeared so I believe that the problem was a food allergy.  Because I eliminated everything at once to lose weight I'm not exactly certain what the allergy is but I will bring them back into my diet one at a time so that I can find out.  

Eight months of misery has ended because I changed my diet.  That was the problem but I never would have guessed it.  It is a tough task but so worth it!
For real i will check out that cream I have problems with my skin normally when i me stressed. Its hard enough to sleep, and wakening up scraching is miserable. I was a little nervous about asking about this,  thank you for your input
To Faith

Request another biopsy as my symtoms (symptoms) were similar and I was diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosus.  If it is Lichen Sclerosus - in young women it can sometimes leave them after a while.  In menopausal women like myself the condition often remains for life but needs to be managed with steroid creams and lifestyle changes ie diet etc. I have been told there is no cure but good mangement is the only solution.  I had the biopsy done after 16 months of having symptoms and being treated for vaginitis  and can relate to your feelings of deperation as I have been threre myself.  At present I am seeing a naturopath for dietary changes and a dermatologist for management of the problem.  Best of luck I hope you find some solutions soon.
This may be the answer for some of you!!  I had the same itchy problems you are describing for about 9 months.  I went to 4 different Gynecologists and they told me the same things you are hearing- maybe it's your soap, sleep naked, use these creams blah, blah, blah..  I could not take it anymore, and I was convinced that this was not normal and I should not have to do all this stuff just to feel not itchy.  Finally, I went to the fifth doctor.  She tested me for "GROUP B STREP".  I tested positive- she gave me some sort of 5 or 7 day prescription (pills) and it was gone - totally- for 6 years now- back to normal - no more creams, no more anything!!!  I could not believe I suffered for that long before finally a doctor figured it out.  Group B Strep is NOT a sexually transmitted disease.  It happens when microscopic amounts of fecal matter end up in your vagina and can cause a disruption of the flora in there.  Not hard to happen if you have been going to the bathroom all day, have had a bowel movement, and then have sex that evening without taking a shower first.  I know it sounds gross but, it easily happens to people.  So...  it's worth a shot- ask your doctor to test you for "GROUP B STREP".  Also, this is VERY important to know if you are going to have babies because once you have Group B Strep it lies dormant in your body and when you have a baby, they need to put you on an antibiotic during delivery.  It's extremely important!!  Don't worry you cannot pass Group B Strep on to your sexual partners.  (At least not as of latest research)

Also, here are some things that might help, they are cardinal rules for me and should be for every woman!!  They should have taught this in health class!!  I have had no more problems:

1) ALWAYS urinate immediately after sex.  Even if it is just a few drops.  This will help eliminate your UTI's.  Do not just roll over and go to sleep!!  Very important!!

2)  ALWAYS wipe front to back.  (I know most woman know this one, but just want to make sure.)

3) DO NOT engage in anal sex.  If you must, DO NOT go from the anus to the vagina or mouth without thoroughly washing the penis with soap and water.  If you go from the anus to the vagina without washing, this is a sure fire way to get Group B Strep which causes itching.

4) Whenever possible try to have CLEAN sex.  Meaning both partners take  a bath or shower first.  If this is not possible, at the very least before sex, take a washcloth and wash your anus.  You don't want that bacteria from fecal matter getting mixed in during sex.

Hope this helps!!
Faith, sweetheart, you are much too long to have to carry this on your own. If I had to guess, it's caused from an autoimmune deficiency. Since there seems to be no cure, just temporary treatments of all different kinds, some give a little relief, for a time, while some do nothing at all to help. I'm 66 and developed this over a year ago. Dr. didn't have a clue, tried four rounds of some powder concoction to no avail. Been tested, thyroid is fine, hormones, no problem, but stress level is out of sight. Plus I have non ulcerative colitis,  because of an autoimmune deficiency. It takes on so many parts of our systems. I also have fibromyalgia, also believed to be caused by the same thing. Temporary help is all that's available because all these physicians can't agree as to what it is. How on earth could anyone ever come up a cure and if it is attributed to your autoimmune system, then there will only be treatment, not a cure. I have allergies and applied a cream to my face that had lanolin in it. I am very allergic to wool/lanolin so I had a very red face and itching and burning so bad I went to the ER. I got a cortisone shot, face finally calmed, but for about 4 to 5 weeks........NO ITCHING. It was the cortisone. I's back...
I'm 15 and I'm not a virgin, but for the past two weeks my virginia has been really itchy, its worse at night, but does itch in the day, iv tried all the things to help it but they don't work, I drink loads of water and don't use any creams or shower gel's, my mum thinks its a yeast infection and iv tried with apple cider vinigar and it just won't help it please can someone help me I'm really scared :( xxx thanks
I have been reading some of the previous posts regarding vaginal itching.  I have come across some of the same symptoms I have been experiencing.  It also seems as though a lot of women are suffering from this but have no answers.  Like many I thought it was yeast and treated it last week as such but that didn't help.  I saw my doc two days ago and she mentioned Lichens but said my labia don't look like that.  However, I am not confident she has a lot of experience with Lichens and may not recognize it.  I have to say I have been looking at my vagina for 41 years and thought it looked normal but now I'm not so sure? If I stretch it out it seems to have a lacy appearance in certain areas but I am not sure! I wish I could view a "normal" labia. And I think it has had this appearance for many years but I never had any symptoms.

I am wondering if any one out there has similar symptoms with any definitive diagnosis? I have had an itchy scalp I think since my second child was born so for about 7-8 years.  I notice it most when my scalp is wet when washing my hair and it mostly the back of my head.  I remember one bout of having a very itchy scalp while sleeping.  I thought the scalp was a hormonal issue and didn't give it much thought. For many years now I have had the occasional blister form in my mouth.  Always on my inner cheeks but I never really thought much of it as it really wasn't bothersome.  It would pop easily and heal up quickly. I used to teach a lot of spinning classes over 10 years ago so lots of sitting on a hard saddle and I noticed that the end or the tip of my left labia minora seemed a bit roughened and if I took a break from spinning it would seem to resolve.
My symptoms currently are an itchy left only labia minora for about the last 2-3 weeks.  I have never had this before.  Two days ago I had a blister form under my tongue.  not directly under the surface of my tongue but in the valley area below.  Finally, I have noticed over the last may 1 1/2-2 years I get very watery discharge randomly throughout my cycle. so its not something I can track with my cycle.  I can bend over and gush! I thought it was related to my hormones shifting perimenopausally.  
I am questioning whether I have one of the Lichen syndromes and whether it is possible to have it for many years but not really have bothersome symptoms?  I think if my vaginal itching had not occurred I would have carried on as usual with the other symptoms.  ugh! but I am not impressed with  my vagina now.  I have read that scratching it causes a vicious cycle so I am avoiding that.  I mean its not as bad as some others have expressed and I am not having sleep disturbances from it.  I used the cortisone cream twice yesterday but that makes be very nervous and do not want to use it much more.  I think my approach is going to be to deal with my stress...
any thoughts from anyone would be so appreciated!!
I too have itchy scalp. It started after my first pregnancy, when I was diagnosed with celiacs disease. I have to eat gluten free and use gluten free body products otherwise I itch like crazy. I've had this itchy labia for over a month and I have not been eating gluten free. I'm wondering if this is all related.