Contraction-like pain caused by exercise, when not pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

About a year ago, I got my 1st gym membership and started working out pretty regularly (about 3x a week). I wasn't out of shape, but not necessarily in shape. Everything was fine until about 3 months in, when one day I hopped on the elliptical and just over 2 miles or 13 minutes in, my stomach started hurting terribly. At first I thought it was just a side stitch from overworking myself, so I slowed down to a walk, but soon enough I HAD to stop because the pain was so unbearable. I got off the machine, and immediately felt a combination of lightheadedness, dizziness, and severe abdominal pain. The abdominal pain was a little like menstrual cramps, but tons worse. I felt like I was either going to throw up or make a bowel movement so I made my way to the bathroom (a 3-4 minute walk, yikes!) I crouched over the toilet, and was lurching, but nothing came out. I was hoping so badly that something would at that point because I needed the pain to end. It would seem to get a little better, then get much worse, then lessen up again, then get worse, but eventually the pain just faded away. The whole time I was moaning in pain and wishing everything could be silent so I could just try to deal with the pain myself somehow. I just sat on the floor crouched over for probably 15-20 minutes total before the pain eventually subsided. When it was over, I felt like I could do anything because feeling no pain felt SO GOOD!!! I wasn’t lightheaded anymore and the abdominal pain was 100% gone.

This same scenario of severe abdominal pain lasting for 15-20 minutes beginning during exercise or 1-2 minutes after I get off the machine has occurred about 6-7 times since then, randomly. I’ve found some other descriptions of this type of pain after exercise, and many people said it sounded like contractions (but I am NOT pregnant). Are these contractions? Or what is it caused by? Are there any ways to prevent it? Has anyone else had a similar experience? I would love to at least understand what is going on because it hurts so badly. Thank you in advance!
For your symptoms endoemtriosis should be ruled out. Symptoms of endometriosis include pelvic pain(usually before menstruation but sometimes during intercourse,urination or defecation), sometimes diarrhea or constipation,irregular or heavy menstrual bleeding,sometimes blood in the urine and inability to conceive.
You should get this possibility evaluated from a gynecologist.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you so much for your reply. I believe you led me right to the problem. I asked my doctor about the situation, who said that the pain I have been experiencing may be caused by adrenaline produced during exercise. Unfortunately just recently I began having excruciating menstrual pains accompanied by heavy bleeding, so I am once again going to inquire about endometriosis. A relative of mine had experienced these exact symptoms during her life as well, but was never told she may have endo, so I think we will both benefit from your help. Thank you!

Please do get investigated and keep me updated.

Regards.
Hello!

I have had EXACTLY, but EXACTLY, what you have just described for years, and never known what it is. I have explained it to my doctor who had no idea what to say about it. Can you please, please let me know what you found out about this??