Corpus Luteum Cyst on Left Ovary at 8 week U/S but dr says it's normal???
Hey all from Sydney Australia - I've never posted a question only replies before so here goes...I am currently 8 weeks 3 days pregnant with #4. I had an ultrasound on Wednesday last week and all is A-ok, baby's heartrate was 162bpm which is a great relief. I am due April 11 2007. The nurse doing the u/s told me I had conceived from my left ovary as it was slightly swollen compared to the right ovary. I agreed that I actually thought I remembered feeling alot of pain from that ovary when I ovulated (and then obviously conceived).

Anyhow, I digress (LOL). My point was that she (the sonographer) didn't say anything about it being a cyst and then later when I went to pick up the report it was written on there that I had a corpus luteum cyst on left ovary which was >2.5cm. I know what the role of the corpus luteum is and that is to supply the pregnancy with progesterone until the placenta forms and takes over that role, but I guess I just wanted to know if there was anything sinister that can become of this and why she felt the need to mention it on the report if it's so normal? I haven't had that written on any of my other 3 pregnancies u/s reports before? Any thoughts or anyone with a similar report?
it could be you didn't have one during your previous US.  i think they generally mention anything they see.  call your doctor if it's concerning, you, if only for peace of mind.  good luck with your pregnancy:)
It's very common.  It will more then likely disappear by the end of the first trimester.   Usually the sonographers will document everything they see, even things that are not horrible.  

Good luck with your pregnancy.
Thanks guys! I know she said at the time it was normal but you know how you just can't help but wonder about stuff when it hasn't happened before? I ended up speaking to my dr and he said the same thing as you...that it will most probably disappear once the placenta takes over it's job. Thanks again for your words of support!