Correct way to wipe...really!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Correct way to wipe...really!

I know this will sound like the question of an idiot, but here goes...
My niece and I had a discussion about the correct way to wipe after urinating.  We all know that when you have a bowel movement, you reach from behind, and wipe front to back to avoid infecting the vaginal area...but here is my question... When we "pee", I learned to wipe front to back, but from the front.  My neice has her daughter wipe after urinating by going front to back from behind?  How the heck can someone reach that?  Am I crazy?
You're always supposed to go front to back no matter what. I've never had a problem reaching underneath to the front, but if you can't do it, I don't think there is any harm in reaching in from the front.
It doesn't matter how you wipe after urinating. You really only need to wipe front to back after a bowel movement.
About wiping front to back...I have always been told to wipe that way no matter what it is that you are doing.  When I urinate I wipe that way, b/c along time ago I didn't really care so I would wipe back to front or front to back which ever was the fastest and I would always get an infection from wiping the wrong way.  So no matter you go about doing it as long as you wipe front to back for both urinating and bw then you are ok.
I don't think it really matters which route you take, as long as you go front to back when you get there. I also agree that it is best to practice the front to back method even after only urinating. There can always be traces of fecal matter (if only microscopic) left behind, no matter how well one wipes.
--J
Front back, side to side.  Impala, country boyz classic wit da monocolour
Yeah when i first learned "the correct way to wipe" i was a bit suprised but i did hear that if you can't reach or have trouble wiping front to back you can pat dry.  Even though you may not have a bowel movement it is possible to spread bacteria by wiping "back to front".
i am a woman, and i've always wiped back to front.  having said that, it is not like i'm wiping over my vagina after a bowel movement.  just dont wipe too far up.  i'm over 21 years of age, and i have never had any kind of problems or infections, yeast or otherwise, down there,so i say front to back only is a myth as long as you dont overshoot your boundary.  i think a more important thing to talk about on the lines of vaginal infection causes is proper cleaning.  you should never use soap or douches, only warm water, and to do this pretty often.   too often, or using soaps and douches, will cause you to kill the good bacteria that protect us from such infections.  but again, wiping back to front or front to back does not matter as long as 1) you dont overshoot your boundary (ie you had a bowel movement, dont wipe across your vagina) and 2) proper, regular (not excessive) cleaning of your privates.     now to those worried about fecal matter and bacteria getting to your privates.... every time you pass gas, you are releasing fecal matter and bacteria that, especially when sitting in a chair or something, can make its way into your vagina.  plus it can get on your underwear (and i'm not talking about obvious skid marks, just usual unseen matter) and as we all know, underwear can sometimes slide around.  so, in conclusion, back to front is just fine provided you do the two things i mentioned above.
The right way to wipe after you urinate is from the front to the back.
The doctor told me that if you do it from the back to the front you can come down with a urinary tract infection real bad.
Please try it from the front to the back as I do it because coming from
experience I  have had real bad UTI infections from doing it the back to front and now I do it from the front to the back and have not had any UTI infections.You should also take Probiotic Acidophilus I take it and it works really well.It helps relieve occasional constipation,gas & bloating and naturally promotes regularity,healthy digestion and
intestinal health.
For as long as I can remember I have always wiped from front to back. My husband walked in on me wiping one day and said that I was doing it wrong, but when I tried it his way... I felt so nasty doing it that way. I'm not saying that people that do wipe that way are nasty, I'm just saying that it's not for me. I will never wipe that way again for as long as I live or as long as my mind stays with me... LOL!
As a man, that really enforces why goind down on a woman is a no go area....farting,skid marks,feaces, discharge..front...under wear moving etc....
But i bet you think a woman who doesn't go down on you is a prude or an Ahole right? I don't know what kind of crackheads you date who **** on their privates and dont clean them, but seeing as how most girls i know are hygienic and clean themselves, i find your comment to be selfish, and obnoxious I bet the majority of your body is filthier than any womans privates. Oh and by the way, farts, skid marks, feces, those all come from the anus, not the vagina. And under wear moving? are you serious? More feces probably land on your toothbrush everyday from the toilet flushing, as does on a girls privates from a fart. But i bet thats your excuse for not brushing your teeth.
HAHAHA!! Your post made me laugh SO HARD!! HAAH I can't stop laughing! LOL I totally agree with you but the way you said it is just too hilarious!! HAHAHA!!!!!!
THE PROBLEM WITH BACK TO FRONT IS NOT ALWAYS FECAL!!!! haha. But seriously, if urine goes the wrong way in one's urethra it can cause a URINARY TRACT INFECTION. If you wipe back to front you are wiping your urine back up to your urethra . UTI's are painful and unconfortable. That being said, wiping fecal matter into your vagina is a different story all together...shame on whoever does that.
To be honest also wiping back to front can cause old urine odor in the whole area not very attractive.
I have always took care of my hygiene, with not having issues and wipe twice after pooing. Oddly enough, I wipe from the back where I wipe back to front, and don't cross the "boundary line". But I roll my toilet paper as i wipe so no same area is hitting or smearing anything. Then wipe again on the va-j-j, front to back, and picking up anything I may have left behind on the first time around. This way I don't have the "brown stain" in my crack ;)
nobody should wipe unless crapping
What if you have a prolapsed urethra and any wiping at all - toilet paper, baby wipes, anything - even if soap gets there I bleed so I can not wipe after urinating.  I never got infections but have one now.  Any suggestions.  I get washed after a BM.  I do soap up the hair area in front and pray it doesnot get on my urethra.

NOBODY SHOULD WIPE UNLESS CRAPPING
The Initial question was NOTabout whether to wipe from front to back. The question was about THE POSITION OF REACHING FROM BEHIND to wipe (the vaginal area (as you wipe from f to b) or REACHING BETWEEN YOUR LEGS to wipe the vaginal area as you wipe from f to b) Zoo READ THE QUESTION PEOPLE! I personally reach between my legs to wipe my vaginal area (from front to back) and reach AROUND BEHIND to wipe from front to back after.a bowel movement because it doesn't make sense to reach around your back side to wipe the front area as long as you are wiping front to back the shortest route (between the legs) is okay.
An earlier comment mentioned 'wiping twice' ... does that mean using 2 lots of tissue (only)?

I use 12 x double squares every time, regardless! (ha) I worked it out years ago that one ends up with a clean bum, never had a skid mark on underwear in my life!

I am a man btw and not mamby pamby or OCD or anything else odd!

Oh, and I never sit on a public toilet without first placing several lengths of toilet paper on the seat so no seat is showing at all ... no chance of anything transferring to my clean botty! lol    

Thinking of more stuff now, I know it's off topic a bit, but it may make you laugh? When some fellas wipe (in the trap next door) ... they only seem to have 2 goes and the 'tissue rustling noise' sounds like they are spreading all the c**p up and down their crack (not wiping it off). Theyr'e in, dumped, wiped and out in less than 2 minutes. Skid marks, huh ... their boxers must look more like they been 'touching cloth' all day or they 'followed through'!? (eww)
I wondering if i have urinate and bowel movment same time should I wipe Bm back first,then wipe urinate front to back ???. Is Floriz probatic good ?? Pls let me know...... Sherry.
I wondering if I have,had,a urinate and Bm same time Do i have,to,wipe Bm first,then wipe urinate front to back. Probatic Flroriz3 it will wotks well ??.,plz let me know. I have,had Uti many,times. I want to get all better. No more uti.....
THIS IS SOME VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL LADIES TO KNOW CAUSE I'M IN MY FIFTY AND MY 29 YR OLD DAUGHTER IS SCHOOLING ME ON LIFE MATTER. AFTER ALL THERE IS MORE THAN ONE WAY TO DO THINGS.
The correct procedure is front to back, and it is based on proven infection cause analysis.
BUT, if you reach in front of your legs or behind them, makes absolutely no difference to the hygiene aspect. Perhaps as much as 60% of women find it difficult to reach behind properly!
Dr Jim
Many people do not rinse before wipe so it still leaves a smell, including on the underwear. Same as for after pooping. Wish more people would rinse after pee or poop. They look nice on the outside and put perfume but down there, they stinks..
Yeah...that just about did it for me my man. It's not worth all that! LOL
I treat them as two completely seperate areas. If I poo...I wipe from behind...front to back. If I just pee....I wipe from the front...back to front. Theres no need to wipe your butt if you only pee. Never once had a UTI or any other issues.
Your spot on, I was taught to wipe between my legs back to front for both. There is plenty of area between each section. I have never had an infection in over 70 years. I get a lot cleaner then wiping from the backend and as for standing and wiping, ooh. There is no way you can get to your craves and clean probably. I am always clean and never miss wiping back to front.
....r u sure u get the question right cuz i believe she is asking about how u wipe the urethra after PEEING and i doubt guys even do that...but if u r talking wiping feces i agree u should always wipe from front to back reaching from the back.

but for urine i think it's ok at least to reach from the front, either way u wipe or  u can pat just make sure do not go too far behind to anus but stay around the urethra i don't see why that should matter. it's too much of arm movement to reach from behind to wipe every time after just peeing.

just to add one note: ALWAYS WIPE AFTER PEEING! cuz I also notice some do not even wipe....
may i ask do u even wipe after u pee? that's why going down on men is nastier right
So I tried..to wipe from front to back, actually, in this way wouldn't u just bring the urine to ur vagina? although I know there's less virus in urine, but why would u do that?!
I think you are a little hyper focused on wiping.  Just wipe quickly front to back and all is good.  No need to ponder it too deeply.  good luck