Could I be Prego?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Could I be Prego?

I had the Merina IUD placed on 10/29/2008 about eight weeks after my 2nd child was born. I really havent had any issues. It all went just as my doctor directed it would and have loved it. I got pregnant with my first child while on the pill and then mis-carried while on the Nuva ring then went back to the pill to help with my hormones and somewhere during the switch I became preganant with 2nd child. With neither birth being planned and never been married, birth control has been a huge concern. I am pro-life and dont need anymore unplanned pregnancies. So its nearing 4yrs that ive had my IUD in place. I have been in a steady relationship for most of the 4yrs and my partner is starting to hit at the fact that im showing preganacy (pregnancy) symptoms. I was brushing them off as just smartass comments. But to my surprise im noticing them myself and actually feel like i may be pregnant. I havent had any negative side affects since my merina was placed and havent had a period for almost 2yrs. So I really would have no clue if i was really preganant or how far along for that matter. So since I havent had the pregnancy-type side affects and feel them now (4yrs into this iud).. could I really be pregnant? I took a cheap $1 store test this weekend and it was negative.

Has anyone gotten a negative test result and still proved to be pregnant with the merina iud? What should I do?
Tags: Merina pregnancy, negative test, could i ?, Pregnancy, Merina IUD
Pregnancy due to IUD failure can occur. Hence to confirm the status of pregnancy, I suggest you to test for pregnancy by a highly sensitive pregnancy test 10 days post ovulation with a sensitive ( 20 - 25 mIU ) pregnancy test. Also then I would suggest you to get your serum HCG levels estimated since this is more specific than urine for pregnancy tests.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.