Cracks around my vagina

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Cracks around my vagina

Today I noticed that I had cracks around the opening of my vagina just outside of the opening, they are in the folds of the skin and i wouldn't have even noticed them had i not checked to see why it felt kinda swollen down there, the skin is extremely red and i do not know why...i'm starting to think i have herpes. but i don't want to jump to conclusions...i was just wondering what everyone else thought.
Have you changed soaps, detergents or anything like that?  Perfumes and chemicals in soaps can really irritate that area.  If you suspect that is the culprit, wash the area in a mild soap like baby soap.

If you've had unprotected sex and suspect an STD you should really see your doctor.
I have herpes and there isn't usually cracks. There will be clusters of white, red or brown painful bumps.

Are you in any pain? If it gets worse, I think you should see a doctor
Any abnormal marks, cracks, sores,on the genitals for the first time should be checked out asap for proper diagnosis.  That said, I don't think it's herpes, but more of an allergic reaction.  However, it needs to be inspected by a doctor.
I would see the doctor to rule out any infections, it could just be an allery or chaffed skin but best to get it checked out.
Hey Cassie. I'm experiencing a simliar problem but for the last two and a half years. It all started with sex becoming painful and afterwards my vagina would be raw and have a somewhat burning sensation. I got myself checked out and was clean of all stds. So I just excepted that sex was painful. Which was weird because before this I had frequent sex (with the same partner) with no problems. Then suddenly it became worse, even when I was no longer sexually active. I could no longer insert a tampon, wear tight clothing, it was painful to touch my vagina and I had cracks, more like paper cuts around the opening of my vagina and thus sex was a no go. I went to my gyno and was diagnose with vestibulitus. (Look it up there are different forms and it may help). Anyway I had an operation called a fenton's repair which aims to strengthen the skin around the opening of the vagina. Well it didn't work for me, not meaning it wouldn't work for others, everybody heals differently. Well basically through research I believe my problem is due to reacurring thrush and not producing enough self-lubricant. I always get thrush with antibiotics, and for most of these 2.5 years my gyno believes I had thrush without even realising it (apparently its common!). Anyway I hope this helps. When you research this, some sites and even specialists may comment that the problem is psycological,and because your afraid or some **** women tend to close up the opening of the vagina making penetration difficult. It's not!!!! I was with my partner for nearly 3 years and was totally comfortable with him before any symptoms became apparent. Other things that I tried was vitamin E on the area, wearing cotton underwear, natural soaps and sanatary items, non fragrant washing power and toilet paper. Don't give up there is actually heaps of women out there with similar problems. Many specialists don't understand the problem and you might feel that you're going around in circles. A helpful website to view to see that you're not alone is www.medhelp.org/forum/womenshealth/messages/188.html
its an old thread from this site which link is no longer on  the main page. You might get a few more ideas.
Hope all this helps
hi ive been reading your posts and wondered if anyone could help me.i was diagnosed with reacurring thrush about 6 months ago.ive had it about once a month for just over a year.ive been back and forwards to the doctors.i went to the sti clinic just to make sure,i have aslo been tested for diabities,had swabs for infestions and a smear,everything came back negative.i was finally sent to a gyno and at the time did not have thrush or what ever it is that keeps coming back,he said everything was normal,which it obviously was at the time.then suggested it was psycological. so i delt with the fact that i prob have to deal with reacurring thrush. its slowly getting worse though,the treatments work less and less and the soreness and rawness are getting worse,the outbursts are getting longer and closer together and all the doc does is give me more cream,i have tried to explain that they dont really work but it does no good.the nurse wont even give me cream she makes me see the doc i have no idea what to do next i surely cant live like this.my partner is so understanding but can you imaging a relation where you fit as much sex in as you can in a week because you have no idea when i will be ok to have sex again lol