Cyst like bump near Vagina After Rough Sex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Starting this off I will say that I was tested for everything under the sun 2 years ago when I got out of an abusive relationship (and pregnant). Everything then was normal. I had my regular woman's health appt a few weeks ago and they did the HPV and the swab STD tests (chlymidia, etc..) & they came back normal.I hadnt had sex in 2 years until last weekend. I had way too much to drink & not only had sex with my boyfriend, but VERY rough and unprotected sex. YEs I know it was stupid. we both are feeling very bad about it& I've cried for days

I had a tad of spotting during the sex & at one point I remember him trying to enter (I was REALLY dry) and rubbing REALLY hard on the left side &it hurt. Afterwards I went into the bathroom I was really sore (expected) and noticed that left side was REALLY red & puffy. When I felt it I noiced there was a hard bump forming on the outer "lip" part on this left side. Assumed friction since I know STD's dont pop up in 20 minutes. Last night most of the redness on my whole vaginal area is gone & this bump is colorless (just skin color). The funny thing is that it doesnt seem to be a blister. I can feel like a ball under it that I can actually move around. I sqeezed it and it felt like a bee stinging me. I have since left it alone & it hasnt gotton worse but also not really better. It only hurts if you apply pressure or if my underwear elastic rub on it and even then its not a bad pain. I am worried though and my HMO made me an appt for a WEEK away! I looked up sores for two days now and nothing looks like what I have. Any ideas? THANKS
well actually after I messaged this I sat down with him and expressed my concerns. I am just NOT a trusting person after my ex husband... and I guess I was really emotional that I am 27 and should be "responsible" ESPECIALLY since I'm still nursing my toddler... and I felt like I let us both down.

He was very caring and told me that a year ago he was tested for everything.. it was a condition of his ex... that they both be tested. And since then he had not slept with anyone else. Ad I do believe him. We did agree though from now on, condoms are required for if nothing else, birth control.

I guess the advice nurse just got me freaked out on Sunday when I called because she lectured me about my bad choice. I know I made a mistake.. he knows we made a mistake... I didnt need to be yelled at. Know what I mean?
You're right - it's definitely NOT a STD - no STD shows up within minutes, let alone a day or two. Maybe a bartholin's gland cyst (although that also wouldn't show up as quickly), or irritation from all the roughness and friction. Maybe an infection - sex kinda exacerbates all those symptoms.

I'm sorry you had such a critical and judgemental nurse. But don't take it to heart. People are people, and not necessarily sensitive to what you want or need to hear. She probably deals with lots and lots of people who have frequent unprotected sex with risky partners. That does NOT sound like what you had. Instead, it sounds like you had unprotected sex with your regular partner. It's not irresponsible or anything else, definitely not worth anxiety and all the tears.

That said, were you okay with the roughness? Just wondering, since you mentioned being very dry. I'm also wondering if you ever received counseling after your ex. It sounds like there may be some unresolved issues from that relationship as well.

UPDATE

today when I was getting a an infected spider bite delt with they had a lof of pressure on my left side and it didnt hurt but when I came home the bump UNDER the skin was kidney bean shaped. Still no color.

I'm freaked out that its some wierd cyst or something since this spider bite turned into a major abcess (abscess) everyt bump scares me

I called and they only bumped my appt up to Friday evening. uggh
wanted to update again since I had my appt. The GYN said it was a gland that is enlarged.. He said it wasnt abcessed so they were not going to cut it open. He said to keep it irritation free but it may never go back down to nothing. As long as it doesnt hurt or get too large they want to leave it alone.

So now of course I just have to wait till my period comes so then I can be back to worry free.

pss->> since then I really have learned my lesson and we have been having protected sex since ;o)
omg thank the lord for this post ive had the EXACT same thing for a while now and was scared to see a doc incase it was an std but now i think ill get it checked out thank you!!!
Hi. I had the same sort of thing appear after a weekend of a lot of sex. Mine did get infected (sore) and took about a month to finally clear. What finally helped was oregano oil which I applied directly to the sore. This seemed to shrink it immediately. I put it on directly, but you could always dilute it in olive oil, as it is strong and burns when you put it on. The oregano oil also works great on underground zits.

good luck.
where can i get that oregano oil?
I currently have the same thing. Too dry & rough=little painful bump. It's happened to me before, and has gone away, but comes back if I'm not careful about the roughness. I wondered what it was & thought maybe it was a hurniated blood vessel or something. Good to know what it is. Thanks!
im only 16...it seems to me lyk i have the  exact same problem && tht it cud have been caused by roughness also... i am a virgin but abt a month ago i messed around wit one of my guy frienz cos we were very drunk and he fingered me...lets jus say he wasnt to gentle wit it. It was a very irresponible thing that happened an i still regret it.=[  it showed up the next day... i noticed it cos i was rly sore and it was jus a colorless knot on the right  side so i didnt pay much attention to it...figured it wud go away... it wasnt painful at first but yesterday or the day before it seems to have gotten some what bigger and its pretty painful even my jeans and walkin made  it more painful && now the knot is lyk red. i told my mom abt it today an im suppose to be gettin a gyn. apptmnt soon && i have never been before so im kind of nervous
My boyfriend and I have alot of sex. Most of the time it is very rough. But last week it was a little rougher than usual. Right after [we were finished] (mind you we stopped using condoms) he noticed that there was a sore at the top of my labia. Nowhere near the opening of my vagina. It didn't hurt at first, like most of you, but when touched or irritated by my jeans [when walking] it is really a pain in the... I was tested before I met him (for everything) and I was negative for all STD's and V's. He says that he was tested as well. I believe him. Plus I check his penis on a regular and I have never seen any signs of any breakouts. And I highly doubt that I caught a STD in a night and then in that same hour began to have symptoms. The sore that popped up kinda looked like I feel down and scraped my knee to the "white meat." It's a slight bump but not really. It really looks like there was just too much friction going on down there and some skin rubbed off. I was going to go to the OB tomorrow but I caught my period yesterday. So now I have to wait. Hopefully its something that I need not worry about especially since I was recently tested.

p.s. Has anyone used that Vagisil test that tells you what is wrong with your Vagina after your pee on the stick and match up the color? I would like to know how well it works before I spend my money. Thanks.
i am going through this right now. the boyfriend and i had sex on friday, and it was really really rough, and on my outer lip towards the bottom of it there was a colorless bump, that felt like it had a core in it. i took a hot bath and went to squeeze it assuming it was a zit, and puss came out. i have the same kind of bump on my bikini line, but that looks like a zit and had puss in it, as well. i have been tested multiple times for STDs and always tested negative, but i am worried. i have never experienced this before. i do have psoriasis on the outer lips of my vagina, but that has gone away through the years, do you think it could be a psoriasis blister?
This has happened to me a couple of times and I have just recently decided to look it up, stupid to wait this long I know. Buy anyway, I had protected sex a few days ago and then noticed the next night I had a very sore bump on the outside of my left lip. I was finally able to pop it after my eyes had teared up a few times, but puss came out and after reading all these it seems to me that this is not an STD. The bump or knot is still there and somewhat sore, but after reading what all you girls have said I am happy to hear that its not herpes or any other STD. Thank god for the internet! Thank you ladies!
kay so me and my boyfriend had sex about 5 days ago and i now have my period, and yesturday i found a bump, i didnt know what it was or what i got it from (probly the sex) but it only started hurting the day i noticed it, it sounds similar to what the rest of you guys had / have,
but im not to sure because it is closer to my anus then my vagina. So i dont know what to do, i was thinking about just leaving it for a while and hoping it will go away. I might try using a cloth and hot water if it is a sist. because i always get them in my eyes and that makes them go away, and i might also try that oregano oil thing and hope that works

any advice or anything would be helpful,  thanks :)
I am 22 now and I have had different experiences with these cyst/bumps... They hurt like hell and they are very frightening at first. I used to get the more often when I used to wear tight jeans alot. So initially the bumps were from the friction from my jeans. Either right above my vagina where my button is or in the crease by my leg. They usually went away within a week or less.

Over the summer, I experienced the cyst DIRECTLY in the crease of my thigh and vagina. It started off as just a sore spot and then grew over the course of a few days. It hurt so bad, I was limping for over a week, couldnt sit right, and had to lay a certain way to minimize the pain. I finally sat in a hot tub after about a week and it drained 10mins after I got out of the tub. When I went to the doctor, she said it was a skin infection from sweating and friction.

Most recently, I got one of the smaller bumps and I believe it was from my jeans, cuz the sex I had wasnt that rough lol. It drained a little and now its just a hard spot under the skin and a lot less painful. I went to the doc today and she said its normal, but this time she said it was from shaving. She also suggested I not shave, but to "trim" the hair because some women are forming MRSA and other skin infections that dont respond to antibiotics... but thats mainly for ppl who arent careful shaving cuz she said "if the skin breaks... and bacteria gets in'. Sooo yea... hope this was helpful for everyone. Glad to know im not the only one... Sorry so long :-)

Stay healthy!
Girls it is not an STD unless you get a cluster of bumps.  I haven't had sex for about two weeks and I have had this bump just show up, slight pain from jeans rubbing but I shave and if you shave could just be an ingrown hair.  If it has a sort of white tip, could be zit or oversized sweat gland.  In time if it doesn't go away go see a doc just incase it is a small cyst.  Good luck  
its prly a cyst..or u might ave genital warts but not an std. i had the same thing, it was a hard lump ball thing under the skin, and its colorless and it feels like it can move and the more u mess with it, and i got it after i shaved and had hard sex with my bf so somehow it caused trauma to the skin. and the more u mess with it, the more it hurts. you can get some like pills from the doctor and it'll go away in like 4 days.
I went to the ER and they said that it is an infected gland and there is nothing to worry about being an STD!!!! They can get infected and sometimes be like a boil but if it doesnt go away then they will have to cut the spot open and let all the puss out and before it gets to this point it can be treated with meds. Take hot baths 4 to 5 times a day and try to stay away from walking or any activity that can irritate that spot! Meds should work but if they dont then you needs to go back to the dr!
hey...this same thng happened wd me...vn me n my boyfrnd hd sex..vn i vz dry......i hd ds sum swolllen type of a thng n ma vagina......firstly 4 abt 3 weeks i din do nythn abt it...jus applies coconut oil ovr it..d oil mde it better bt din cured it properly....dn i vnt 2 gynae....she provided mw wd an ointment n said dat it vz due to an infection caused cz f havn unprotetcd sex wyl bein dry..d ointment is T-BACT cream...jus try it n apply it on d affected area twice daily after cleanin ya vagina proprly...it workd wonders in 3 days nly...
I am sooooo happy you posted this. I have had something very similar sounding after rough sex and then playing for games of baseball the day after and I have been so freaked out.  I am hoping they go away but maybe the best thing is to just go see a doctor to double check. This definitely eases my mind for the moment though. Thanks!
Hello ladies! Yes I'm pretty sure that these aren't STD's. I've been getting these things for ages. I usually just pop them if they are close to the surface, and for the ones that seem too deep I'll try to pop them, but sometimes it doesn't work. Yes it does hurt, but i have a high tolerance for pain. My friend gets something similar but she calls them boils. I'm not sure if we have the same thing or not. What I get are usually in my buttcrack, inside the lip next to the clit, and sometimes near the hole. they are sometimes red and usually sore. When I pop them it is a mixture of a clear fluid and a little blood. They are annoying little bastards!
Ladies, try using Tea Tree oil. It's a natural anti-biotic and anti-fungal and can be found at your local health food store. Just dab a q-tip with a couple of drops and apply to the affected area. It may sting a bit, but it will go beneath the skin and kill the bacteria that is harboring there causing the puss and the swelling. If you shave, use a cotton facial pad and put a few drops of tea tree oil on it and wipe the area where you just shaved. It will sting where you may have nicked yourself, but it will kill anything lurking there.
Also, if you want to look nice down there, why not do a bit of plucking instead of shaving? The plus to this is that the hair will eventually not come back in as thick and I seem to have far less ingrown hairs than when I used to shave... just something to consider doing while your waiting on the pot anyway....
So basically I'm having the same problem as all of you, except for the small difference of me being of the male gender. I was wondering if anyone knows if this type of thing happens to guys as well. I was tested yesterday for STD's and I'm pretty scared..waiting for the results. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
my problem is a lot like all of yus but im muchhh younger and mine is quite a long lump going down the side of my vagina on the inside of the flap and is very pink im guessing it came up during sex as it was there when i went to the toilet after because i was very sore, i never smell down there but after the first time of having sex with my boyfriend i get a extremly strong smell? im very young and have had a few sexual partners i cant tell my mum nor my friends as im extreamly emmbaressed and dont no what to do i am hoping it is only swollen from the roughness of it all but still worrys me i dont no what to do, i dont no if it is normal and the smell is horribal? please give me yur ideas?
Okay.. I had sex with my boyfriend 3 times in one night. the next day I saw tiny bumps. They werent in a clump they were seperated. They go away and then come back. I have had them for 2 months.  And sometimes they get itchy or dry up WHAT ARE THEY PLEASE HELP ME..!
can these "cyst" be caused by gay sex??
Hi Ladies, after a night of very rough sex a small, pea sized red bump appeared on my inner labia the next day. Knowing this was not a STD I went on the hunt to find a home grown solution to this, without trying to pop it with a pin (not a good idea around that area). Not having anything in the house other then silica balsam I decided to give this a try. I cleaned the area with normal salin (salt water), drying the area very well with a clean wash cloth. I washed my hands with antibacterial soap and applied the silica balsam directly on the lump and went to bed with no underwear on. In the night the lump had ruptured and there was blood and a small amount of puss, I gently squeezed and then cleaned the area again in the same manor as above, applying the silica balsam on the area once again and putting on clean underwear with a panty liner. It is all but gone within 24 hours and there is no discomfort or pain. I am not a healthcare proffesional and this is only my experience.
THANK YOU SSOO MUCH FOR THIS POST. I have the bump and it is about the size of a ping pong ball. I made an appointment and i tryed looking it up but i only found cysts and cancer. and so i started to cry because i am only 18 and my fiance and i have sex everyother day and its rough but i really didnt want to have cancer, i love my life and i hope that went i go to the appointment i hope thats all it is.
Thank you
i kind of have this problem. i have a ball like thing under my skin. it doesnt hurt. it doesnt bother me at all, unless i know its there then its just annoying because i dont know what it is. ive been with my boyfriend for 5 years, and this has been happening for couple years now, and im pretty sure its from the rough sex. it appears after it, but its gone in 1 or 2 days. its NOT the size of a ping pong ball. its just a tiny tiny little lump. sometimes if my boyfriend or i rub my clit hard during sex, i will get that lump near my clit. which is annoying because it gets in the way if we keep having sex. but its gone after a day. so it shouldnt be harmful ? because im perfectly fine, its just these lumps that come and go each time i have sex, and im pretty use to it now. just thought id say this, incase someone out there is worried but similar to mine. cos alot of you said your lumps hurt while just wearing jeans. this doesnt happen to me. and you cant see it at all. there is no white tip, no pinkish color, its just my skin color, with no bump too see. you can only feel it under my skin.
I've had this tiny mosquito bite size bump just outside my vaginal opening on and off for about a year now. 90% of the time it hasn't bothered me, but the other 10% it's itchy like a mosquito bite. Especially when I go running and don't shower within about 10 min of getting back home.
I haven't always had 'safe' sex until my current bf....until he can get in to be tested. In the past i've suffered through HPV infections and get treated for a yeast infection almost once a month! It's been better the last few because of a new treatment schedule with my Dr.
Anyway, this bump (obviously) has been looked at by my Dr. like a million times and he's said nothing. I've been swabbed for every STD under the sun (pretty near everytime I have a yeast infection) so I highly doubt it's that. I had awsome luck with an expensive drug called 'Aldera' for  a bout of genital warts (cured me up permanently...there is hope after all :) ) But this little bump is left. I'm going to try to treat it with oregano oil or tea tree oil and see what works. If I try to think back to when it started......it was probably after having too rough sex about a week after having a genital wart frozen off. Maybe it is this bartholin gland that was kind of damaged in the process of both the freezing and the rough sex???? What do you figure?
my thing is kinda lik every one else bt the onlything diffrent is that mines look lik my skin but its a blister or a bump and it accured after rough sex i thought it was a yeast infection i went to the doctor and got checked out and she said she didnt find anything wroung wit my tests if sumone elses out there looks lik mine please giv me feedback
i also have a small bump on my bikini line my bf and i have sex a few times a week and im really  embarassed i dont want him to see it. Its hard and will not pop i made the mistake of messing with it and now it really hurts. Its hard and smaller than a pea.
Ohhh my god. I have a huge lump on the left side of my vagina, and it hurts soo bad. I was thinking it's a spider bite, till I read that. I drank a bit too much  last week and and had unprotected sex with someone. But the lump didn't appear till about four days ago? I think. And it's only gotton bigger and more painful, especially when I walk. And i don't know what to do /: I can't tell my parents I had sex again, they'll be so disappointed. Not to mention I'll never be allowed to leave te house again.  
thanks for this information, I have been haveing rough sex for about 6 months and my lump comes and goes. Does anyone know if there is a way to keep it gone?
yep me too.....It always happens with the same guy too, my ex.... he likes rough sex that lasts FOREVER. So eventually I get dry and later on I notice the bump. It always goes away within a day or two. Just getting a shower immediately after and trying to stay really clean helps. I appreciate the post though, I still manage to freak out everytime afterwards and go to searching the internet.
i used to get these quite often from being too rough without enough lubrication. they are annoying and painful but they will usually disappear in a week or less with gentle care. that means no sex(oral is ok), gentle when wiping yourself, and being careful not to cause more irritation to the spot where your bump is.

DO NOT TRY TO POP IT! there is nothing inside its just swollen.
I know this post is very old, but I was just wondering did you ever find out what was wrong as I am experiencing very similar symptons myself, I had VERY rough and also dry rough sex after splitting up with my ex boyfriend (who was clean) with a different man. After sex I had instant burning down there, the next day I noticed a lump the outer side of my "lip" which felt like a small ball, it has now grown in size and a week later I now have 3 other lumps very similar to this one just not as irritated. one directly opposite but inside my lip on my "pink bits" let's say, another abit further up by directly in line with it and then another on the other side abit further up again (almost near my clit). As the first one is now really irritated it now feels like a scab and everytime I wee it burns/stings almost uncontrollably. I have read about almost everything I am terrified this could be herpes. I am not prepared to seek medical attention just yet as I am hoping this could just heal itself. Any advice? I am sorry for such a paragraph I am insure on explaining and I am very worried. Thank you, d