D and C without general or local anesthesia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hi! I would like to know if it is a normal practise to have D and C (scraping of uterus) done in a doctor's office without general or local anesthesia? Thank you for your input!
Yes it seems to be a normal practice. I had a D&C and uteran biopsy without any pain meds. they had someone in the room to hold my hands so I could not get up. I have to have a hysterectomy on Monday.
I had a D & C without anesthesia years ago, which I consider to be a form of barbarism.  I have asked many women who have had the same procedure and 98% of them have been with anesthesia, in a hospital.  The reason they do not (can not) give anesthesia for this procedure in a doctor's office, is that in an office, they are limited to what type of pain meds they can  administer, by law.  Granted, it is not a complicated procedure, and the pain is negotiable for some, but, I HIGHLY recommend that you have pain medication for it.  Not only is it emotionally taxing, but the pain is real, albeit for a short time.  If possible, go to the hospital, as an out patient.  If not an option, ask lots of questions...Best of luck...