D and C without general or local anesthesia

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Hi! I would like to know if it is a normal practise to have D and C (scraping of uterus) done in a doctor's office without general or local anesthesia? Thank you for your input!
Yes it seems to be a normal practice. I had a D&C and uteran biopsy without any pain meds. they had someone in the room to hold my hands so I could not get up. I have to have a hysterectomy on Monday.
I had a D & C without anesthesia years ago, which I consider to be a form of barbarism.  I have asked many women who have had the same procedure and 98% of them have been with anesthesia, in a hospital.  The reason they do not (can not) give anesthesia for this procedure in a doctor's office, is that in an office, they are limited to what type of pain meds they can  administer, by law.  Granted, it is not a complicated procedure, and the pain is negotiable for some, but, I HIGHLY recommend that you have pain medication for it.  Not only is it emotionally taxing, but the pain is real, albeit for a short time.  If possible, go to the hospital, as an out patient.  If not an option, ask lots of questions...Best of luck...
DMRobbins0226 commented on My GYN made me mad.
1 hr ago
Paxiled commented on FDA issued a warning ...
1 hr ago
Barb135 commented on FDA issued a warning ...
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals