Depo Provera problems??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Depo Provera problems??

I had been on the Depo Provera shot for about 12 months.  My last one was in February.  I stopped having a period by my second dose.  For various reasons, I had decided not to continue with the shots.  However, I still have not had a period and I am having tender breasts, cramps, bloating etc a couple of times a month, as if I am going to get a period, but it never comes.  My "PMS" symptoms seem worse than they ever did before Depo or while on it.  Are there any other problems that could be causing these symptoms or is my body just trying to re-adjust?  I am considering going back on it to relieve these problems.  Please advise!!!!
Thanks!
They will go away. It took me about 3 months to get back right, I quit taking it because it made me gain 40 pounds in a year. I am now only 125, I used yasmin for about 6 months. There are very few side effects when I just came off. I may be pregnant now, but who knows.
Any ideas if I can't take BCP?  I had Norplant for 10 years (2 sets) which I loved but my current doctor doesn't do.  She tried to put in an IUD, but my uteris was so tipped she couldn't do it (she said it was the only one she has failed to get in place in 25 years of practice).  I cannot take BCP because I got pregnant twice on them (yes I took them correctly).   My mother also got pregnant on them at 47 Y.O and my sister got pregnant on them at 44 Y.o.  So...my doctor says no go for me.  But I guess if I were taking them just for side affects, but what would I do for actual BC?

Thanks for your help!
I stopped Depo after the second shot.  I gained 50 lbs in one month with eating healthy and exercise.  I had horrible mood swings.  I was very depressed, etc.  I was bleeding almost every 3 days.  I went straight to BCPs once stopping Depo to get my periods regulated.  It can take 12-18 months for Depo to get out of your system.  The BCP's changed everything after stopping depo.
Forgot to say, I didnt have a period for the entire time I was taking it and I didnt gain any weight.  Im now on Cerazette.
I came off Depo approx 18 months ago ( having been on it for years, possibly 10)I didnt get a period for 7 months, had very very bad PMT for about the next three months, but its getting better now. Didnt realise until I came off it, how low my sex drive had become! But that is also a great deal better now!
hi i was on the shot for 2 years and experienced all kinds of problems.Your body has to get rid of all the chemicals before your period will come and be normal.Advice to you i wouldnt get back on the shot if you were already on it for 2 months.Because after the first year of me being on it is when i started having lots of problems.Just give your body time and you will be normal soon.Hope this helps.
how are you doing now? what were the symptoms you experienced after coming off depo, and for how long? Did it get worse before it got better? Ive been off depo since march 2013 when my last shot was due...im still not normal, and feeling worse now actually...disgestive issues, lightheaded, random body pains...ectectect