Depo-Provera side affects

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Depo-Provera side affects

I was given a shot of depo-provera yesterday...and when I asked about side affects all I was told was nausea, headache, and dizziness.  After reading quite a few articles online, it seems there are a lot more serious side affects than I was led to believe.  I've been having lots of chest pain and shortness of breath, but the doctor doesn't seem to think it's related to the shot.  I need advice on what some of the most common side affects are, and if there is possibly any way to get this medication out of my system as quickly as possible.  I am concerned about weight gain as well, and was wondering how soon it became noticeable, and if there was a significant amount in the first three months.
i was on depo for 7 yrs. here's what my side effects were and still are 18 mos after my last shot.

no periods

gained 70 lbs in 5 yrs...was 106 when first started it finally back to 125

lost sex drive

vaginal dryness

developed psyciatric mood disorder...now undiagnosed and med free since off depo

depression

irritablity

loss of concentration, interest in life in general

fatigue

2 miscarriages on depo..a set of twins @ 13 weeks and single @ 9 weeks

post-depo:

no period for 9 mos

then period with heavy bleed every 2 weeks for 6 mos

infertile for 18 mos

2 confirmed miscarriages at 5 weeks

progesterone defficient

luteal phase defect that untreated leads to miscarriage

so there is what the future holds on depo. once you have taken the shot it takes 12-18 mos to leave your body when you stop. there is no reversal to it!!! you will have to wait and see what happens and the chest pain and shortness of breath is a common side effect and i recommend if it gets worse go to the ER. DON"T GET ANOTHER SHOT...you will regret it later down the road. good luck and i hope everything turns out good.

love....kimmie
ok- don't get scared by kimmie's post. not everyone has serious long lasting side effects from it but some women swear they do. i know i had serious trouble conceiving after I went off of it but other than that I had no side effects. I have a friend who got preg when she missed the shot by a week... here is a website I found that has some pretty good information about depo on it so you can make an informed decision as to whether or not to continue with it.

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/dep1126.htm

don't get mad at me kimmie- you know I love yah! :)
the only side effect i had was the weight gain. i was on it for 4 years. i didnt start ttc for 1 year after i stopped it, and got pg right away, so i dont know if i would have had any troubles if i started trying earlier.was this a spur of the moment thing,or what, didnt you do any research on it at all? you will just have to ride it out, and maybe start the pill in 3 months.
I did 1 round of depo and was very moody this was in aug of 1997.  decided this was not for me .. I got very bloated gained weight.  Then instead of going on the shot again decided on the pill.  However I bled for 1 month stratight (while taking the pill) then like a turning off a light switch it was gone. for 7 months.  the drs. had to give me Provera to induce my periods.  Then we got married and decided to get pregnant.  I took 4 years of infertility drugs and IUIS to have our DS. So i am not too sure if the depo gave me luteal phase defect (that is why i could not conceive) but I sure am not going back on it.  I hope you feel better.

I might add thoguh my sister in law.. took it for years got off when they wanted to start trying and got pregnant the following month. Is back on it now and has not had a single problem.  No weight gain or anything.  She is weird though... but she has ALWAYS been weird so I know that is not the Depos fault :-)

God Bless and take care keep us posted
lisa
well i was on depo for 9 months and that is 3 shots and from my expirence i had some side affects. depression weight gain of 105 pounds (i was 145pounds when started the shots, still over 200 pounds, but loosing slowly)i had panic attacks (high anxiety) and had to be medicated. i started the shot in nov. of 98 two weeks after my son was born and i bled from nov 3rd 98 untill my second shot in in feb of 99 and it was heavy, cloty nasty. i stopped the shot after my 3rd in may and only bled for one day (spotting) i went on the pill in sept. so not to get pg, then we decided to have another child and i conncieved in october of 2000. so im not sure if i had  sterile problems after the shot because like i said i took the pill for a while. today i  have verly slight anxiety problems (no meds needed) no depression and my weight is pver 200 pounds but i am dieting since yesterday ( to get healthy.. im at high risk for diabetes.) so this is my story i hope it does not scare you , just wait out the shot and my advice dDO NOT GET ANOTHER ONE there has to be something else out on the market tht you can take to help protect you. take care and god bless. Stacie in Maine
Oh - sorry - forgot to add that you also need to remember that what is distributed in the depo packaging and told to you by your Doctor is LEGALLY BINDING, so it's all very carefully worded and scrutinized by teams of lawyers.  Plus, the FDA has to have proof of both pros and cons before a drug is approved or an alert is sent out (like in the case of bone density loss).  Think of the billions of dollars in litigation that could ensue if a company admits a fault with it's drug (remember phen-phen, or more recently, Vioxx). It takes class action lawsuits and media attention to get action.

I swear I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I'm just asking that you thouroughly research any drug that you're going to use. If you want to look at more objective opinions, look at what's going on in Canada (where our FDA doesn't apply) - many groups think depo should be banned because of the side effects.

I'm just sayin' - be careful.

Take care,

N
Hi andreaR -

I was 26 went I went on Depo and I just turned 38.  If you search 'depo' in this forum, you'll see my list of side effects. My period stopped almost immediately after I started depo and I certainly didn't miss it. ;) BUT, it has vastly altered many aspects of my health and if you were a friend or relative, I would STRONGLY suggest that you NOT take the chance that it does to you what it has done to me and to so many other women, many of whom have experienced side effects after the very first shot.  

My husband is the greatest person in the world and he loves me with all of his heart, but when I'm having a bad depo depression day or mood, there is nothing that he can do right, I start to not trust him, and if the poor guy tries to press me for what is wrong (which, there isn't anything in particular, it's like a black cloud surrounds me), then I turn on him, cause a nasty fight, cry, get a migraine, end up shaking and sobbing. But then it passes.  It's awful. Afterwards, I am wracked with guilt for being such a mess and feeling like for screwing up his life by not being healthy.

When the side effects start making you hurt the people that you love more than anything and rob you of all of your energy, trust me, you start to really think about what the heck you've done and what you put in your body.

There just hasn't been enough long term study of DP to really know what it does - we women are complicated internally and I know firsthand that the side effects can sneak up on you and it's easy to shove them off and blame them on other things. Then if you look at the experiences of thousands of women, we can't all be lying or making up problems that are documented by our physicians.

Google "depo provera horror stories" and you can read as many as you like. Mine's in there too.

Please think about it. Remember that once upon a time, smoking was considered a healthy habit and never ever completely trust the printed insert in a medication. The bone density loss warning came out after 15 years of the drug's use - meanwhile, how many women have had SERIOUS problems (osteoperosis, etc.) as a result of this little issue undiscovered before tens of millions of women (many of them young) have used the drug?

I know that I can't tell you to simply not have sex (that wouldn't have worked for me as a young woman), but with all of the options out there, please think about other ones. This one is very risky.

Be healthy and be smart!

:)
I heard they are showing in some cases that depo is causing bone loss if used for more then a year.  Also the patch may be causing serious clots in young women.  I use the nuva ring & wouldnt change it for anything!
Stacie hun...i am glad you had no side effects...i am not mad at all :) my cousin got PG after missing one shot. unfortunately more woman have lasting side effect than don't. every woman's body is different and the effects can be more or less severe. depo was first invented to chemically castrate sex offenders....i think that is what bothers me the most....and i wondered why i lost my sex drive. it was also use for chemotherapy for cancer patients....i had to wonder if that is why when i got PG on it i m/c'ed. my OB at the time said yes and depo was the cause of my m/c's.

for those woman out there who have had little to no side effects...man you are so lucky and i will drink out of your cup any day :) for woman thinking about taking it just know ALL your options and weigh out ALL the good and bad stories and medical info you hear to make the best choice for you.

love....kimmie
Hi my name is Melissa and I went on the depo about 2 1/2 yrs ago. When I first got the shot I heard stories about the side affects and thought people where just trying to find something to complain about, I loved being on the shot there was no period I didnt have to worry about taking the pill everyday etc....
Well now im starting to wonder if everything I heard is true. Ive been off the shot for 6mo now and I still havent had a period, does anyone know how long it will take? I have alot of back pain, headaches, severe moodiness, weight gain, and alot more things that I think have do to the shot now that I am reading all of this. What do I do, ride it out to see if this stuff goes away or should I see a doctor?
You will just have to wait and ride it out.  There's no medicine or shot to reverse Depo.  

It can take 18 months for your body to start cycling normally again.  

Also, Kimmy often has said that you have to lose all of the weight you gained while on Depo because Depo is stored in the fat you gained.  The sooner you lose the extra weight the sooner the Depo will be completely out of your system and the sooner your body can return to normal.
Hi.  I'm new to this whole posting comments business.  I normally just read the postings, but don't add a comment or solicit help.  But, now, i have to, because I am desperate.

I took 3 shots of depo in 2003, and my then boyfriend, noticed an almost instant change in me.  My sex drive changed.  I cried frequently and my hair loss started.  Not to mention the weight gain.  I gain three pounds a month.  Which i guess isn't bad, but when u notice that it's a CONSISTANT pound a month, well....you learn to do that math.

So eventually I stoped taking depo and went on the pill.  Which was fine, but my hair was still falling out.

My now husband and I (the then boyfriend that was with me when i took the initial depo), agree to try the shot again.  This time, the same things happen....but sooner.  I am by nature a happy person and i love life, but the depo shots helps catapult me into a world of depression and lack of interest.  i used to love writing...now, i just don't bother anymore.  I used to love cooking....now i just don't bother anymore. I used to love hanging out with my girlfriends,....now, i just don't bother anymore.  That's what the shot makes me do....not bother.

I guess what i want to know, is, 1) is there a another medication i can take to combat this thing in my system? or to combat this depression i feel?

please help
My 16 year old is convinced taht Depo is the answer for her. Her Gyno just raved about how she wouldn't have any periods and life would be great! I am sending this ENTIRE page to her so she can see the truth from the women that have already experienced what Depo has to offer. A BIG FAT PAIN IN THE BUTT as far as I can tell! Maybe she'll listen to you guys!
So Thanks for just telling your stories!
--J
To: JoannaRF

I whole heartedly agree that the depo isn't for teenagers.  Teenagers go through so many ups and downs as it is.  Having something as powerful as Depo in a young woman's system, is just asking for problems.

I hope your daughter considers a safer method, although it my require more discipline, of birth control.

I wish you and your daughter the best!!!
I'm not one to post on sites or get involved in others businees, especially since everyone is different.  But now I'm "different" and I don't like it.  After my daughter was born in Dec. 2000, I got my first shot of depo in the hospital, along with an immediate perscription for an anti depressant, my ob/gyn said he couldn't risk it with potential post partum and the very common side effect of depression.  18 months later my wrist was broken, 6 weeks after that, my ankle fractured.  I constantly complained of back pain, only to be told that I was "to young" to worry about anything.  I am now 31.  I did get treated for arthritis until docs found out that all the tests in the world wouldn't prove I had something I didn't, there was no arthrits.  Along with my anti depressant I began taking clanopin for my "anger".  My work had a health fair, and I had a heel scan, which registered a 1.8 borderline osteo, but not totally reliable, I brought the results to my doc who laughed at me and said I was to young, the test was wrong, don't worry.  At my next depo appointment I asked to see my ob/gyn and I insisted on a bone scan.  I have osteoporosis, and I'm 31 w/no family history.  My ob/gyn said no more shots, no more birth control of any kind.  What people don't realize is that the kind of osteo caused by depo takes away bone MINERAL, and that can not be replaced.  I am on fosomax to slow down the loss, but it will not be replaced.  I can not carry my daughter.  I have to be careful of everything, one bad accident and god knows what would happen to me.  I also have been diagnosed with Lordis, a curve in the lower spine, caused by osteo, which explains my constant back pain that was previously laughed off.  My last shot was in July, no period yet, but no more anti depressants.  I gained 40 pounds over 4 years, but that is nothing compared to what I lost.  Even if I do become fertile again is not recommended that I carry another child.  Would I have gone and gotten those shots for 3 1/2 years had I have known? Of course not, but now people do know.  Don't knowingly risk giving up what I lost without a clue.  I have a lawyer, and pending lawsuit, but you can't buy back being a healthy mom, a good wife, or quality of life, I can't even think of a dollar amount.  I hate what I have become.
i wanted to say thanks to everyone who's posted here. i happened to come across these comments thinking i may be the only one experiencing bad things from depo. i was told by someone to research depo now that it had been a while since its release and have been astonished to find so many people in my situation. today it has come to my attention that there are lawsuits against depo and not only that but there have been for quite some time all to my bewilderment! i sat at my desk at work and cried when i read the postings. my story begins in 1996 when i got on depo at the age of 16. i have had no periods, weight gain of about 40 lbs., depression and anxiety (which led to the break up of my relationship of three years-we were engaged to be married). i continued regularly with my shots (happy to get rid of the monthly mess!)from 1996 up until 2001(after 5 years of the shot). after much debate with family and friends i decided it may be good for my body to get back on track and normal with periods. so i stopped everything knowing i'd have to wait the "up to 18 months" for your body to get back to normal afterwards. well, when 18 months came and went, then 24 months came and went as well as 30 months, i decided to go back to the clinic (now 2003)to see if there was anything i could do. the clinic prescribed the pill in the hopes that that would make me menstruate and that after a few cycles of it, i could get off the pill and i would have a period normally (as if my body just needed a jump start after being turned off for 7 years now). i took the pill for about 5 months. having periods at the end of the pill pack like i should. i decided it was time to stop with all the hormones and see if i could have a period without the encouragement of any drugs. now in 2005 almost 2006 i'm still waiting. almost 10 years without a period.  i've been to a more acredited OB-GYN and i'm now going to be having 12 different tests done to see if there is anything that can be done. i was told i have an enlarged uterus and may not be able to have children without the use of fertility drugs. i think back to when i was 16 and was repulsed by the idea of having children and how i went on about the depo shot being my personal gift from the drug companies! i sang its praises to every female i know! now i regret not listening to my mother when she always said "anything that stops the normal functioning of the womans body like that cannot be healthy! just you wait a few years until they find out that that depo stuff does something horrible to you that you can't reverse!".
thank you all for making me feel like i'm not alone.
i just had a baby 4-17-07 i got the depo shot 6-29-07 i've gained 10 ilbs and still gaining all i knew about the shot was weight gain but then my hair started to fall out not the usual breakage you're suppose to get but whole strands of hair:{ i'm really upset about this i need to know how much hair i'm going to lose. i hate to even comb my hair because so much of it is coming out in the brush and the comb it be all over my back all on the floor and this scares me i don't want to be bald and i'm not getting my 2nd shot in sept i'll find other means of bc but please someone tell me when will my hair stop falling out?
I started the depo when I was 17 and was on it for 3 1/2 years. I have been off of the depo for about six years. I experienced all of the crazy problems many of you did when I came off of the shot; serious depression and out right craziness. My periods are getting further and further apart now. Last month I was 13 days late. I am only 26 years old. The doctors just tested my blood for everything also. I have not gotten the result back yet, but one doctor is pretty sure I am not ovulating. Have any of you heard of any law suits going on that involve women who have stopped ovulating due to depo? Seems like there are quite a few posts that involve miscairages, late ovulation, and no ovualation which all could be linked to this shot.
I've been on the shot for a little over a month. I've been having irregular periods mood swings. Crying over every little thing. stuff that i normally dont cry about. The shot makes you feel like your pregnant. If i knew the side effects were like this i would have never got on the shot. Its depressing and it makes you loose concentration and lack of interest. I know they say the shot is different for every female body type. but this is the worst i felt in a long time. And from what im reading from prior postings there are alot of women. who are going through the same stuff i'm going through. I would not recommend the shot to anyone.
What's up? I been on the depo shot since March 2007. I been having side effect like bloating,headaches,hair shredding,constantly eating all the time.I have gain a couple of pounds it looks good on me I'm not complaining but I don't want to gain to much weight.My breast has gotten bigger so i had to buy bigger blouses to wear also my butt has gotten a bigger so I had to buy bigger pants I had to give alot of clothes away.I probably stay on the shot no more than two years in that's it.Like the doctors recommend me to no longer so by bones want get brittle so I will be healthy with no health problems.Wants you start taking medications your body has to have it just like a drugs if you get off if you will suffer.I probably get back on the pills, I was on the pills for 13 years I got tired of taking them. Just wanted to try something different have to worry about ift everyday.I didn't have to many side effects on the pills.I think the pills are the best birth control method if you ask me.  
I am now 23 years old. I started the depo when I was 15yrs old and now that I'm getting older, about to get graduate and ready to start my life and career, i'm beginning to wonder if it was a mistake. Yeah, when all the other girls were crying about the pain of their periods of course it was nice to sit back and not worry about it. I didn't have to worry in summer when I wanted to swim, about being embaressed about leaking. I didn't have to worry about the pain of cramps or any of that gross stuff that companies periods. The funny thing is, now that I'm getting older I don't think it's embaressing and I want my period back. All of my friends are getting married, having babies and talking about late periods and pregnancy. I can't. I have been off the shot for 2 years and still haven't had a cycle. I have been having unprotected sex with my husband for 3 years now and still have not even come close to conception. My horomone levels are all jacked up. When I was on the shot, I gained a ton of weight, felt miserable, bloated all the time, didn't care about anyone or myself anymore, loss of energy and sex drive. I just didn't care. But hey, I was period free. I think to myself, was it really worth it? Women are supposed to have a period. End of story. I regret getting on the shot and wish I would have known more about the side effects of it before I had gotten on it. I would recommend to any young person who just wants to get on it so they can have sex and be period free, to really think about it, because one day your maternal clock will start tickin and by then it will be too late.
Does anyone know these correct medical facts?

How frequent should you have a bone density test while on the depo?

I was on the depo for 10 years, age 35 - 45 and had only one bone scan after 1 year of being on the treatment. I know about the bone loss issue and just fired my gyno, because I felt betrayed by not have more bone density tests while her nurse told me I should have one every two years.   Please comment!!!

I am desperate. I've only been on the depo shot for a year but then I started having trouble with frequent urination and urgencies. Now, these don't sound like it could be tied in with the depo but that's when it started. 8 months into my depo shot and I never had this problem before. I've been to different doctors. I am now currently seeing a urologist and he said that I have an elarged bladder. I never had that problem either. I finally got off the depo shot last October but I have got to know, could this be tied into my depo shots? Could that be what caused all of this?
I am looking for answers. I'm tired of getting the run around and I'm tired of going through what i went through in the last year. I am a 25 year old mom of one. I had my daughter n '07 and six weeks after i took the shot. I got it not knowing the side affects will affect me in the long run as well as my child. On the shot i didn't gain weight and i didn't have a period. In the last year i've suffered alot and lost alot. I went from working 2 jobs, having my own place, being independent, my own car, and being a full time student as well as a full time single strong black mom! Little did i know that it was go be in the past due to the shot. Yes, i'm mad cuz i lost it all! Now i have  to depend on everyone and every thing to raise my daughter which is 4 and is in kindergarten. I found out that i have osteoporosis. I cant work cuz my back is in constant pain. Cant stand on my feet long or even sit down long. I dont know what else to do1 Ive tried everything such as disability. They told me to get something with my hands but how when i cnt sit dwn 4 a lng time. On top of that i havent picked up my child in a year and thats whats killing me the most. Im depressed and stressed. My thoughts is that the shot is the worst thing for birth control.My advice to all PLEASE AVOID THE SHOT!!!!!!!
hi new at this i was on depo for 5 yrs, started to take it after the birth of ma daughter. me and ma husband decided ttc 4 years ago i now have just had my 12th mc and i thiknk it has to with been on depo for so long.
what do use think
I was on the depo for about 12 yrs. And I had alot of side effects also, I had hair loss, weight gain(I welcomed that because I was too skinny),
mood swings, depression, loss of sex drive.  If it weren't for the mood swings and depression and loss of sex drive I would get back on it!  The hair loss didn't bother me cause I wore my hair short anyway and I so welcomed the weight gain because I was 125 pnds. With these huge boobs and my body didn't look right it was out of proportion.  But once I got married I had no problem getting pregnant.  It took about 2mths to get a period but I wasn't complaining because they were so painful anyway.
Yeah my butt also got bigger I gained overall about 40 pnds. Butt I loved it, and I stopped taking it in late 2005 got married in sept. of 2006 got pregnant in sept. of 2007 and had my baby in June of 2008 and I never lost the weight that I gained from the shot and my baby is totally healthy.  I don't believe u have 2 lose all the weight u gained from the shot to get it out of ur system it just has to run it's course as with any drug or medication.  Every womans body chemistry is different and this is just what happened to mines.
I am 19 years old, and took my first shot about 2 months ago. I didn't really start noticing the side effects until a couple of weeks ago, but man, they hit like a ton of bricks. I have gained 5 lbs, get horrible headaches, and have been suffering from mood swings. The ONLY good thing about the depo so far is no period. I'm still considering whether or not to continue on the depo but the more all of these side effects happen, the more i'm thinking I might switch to the pill.
i started taking Depo when  my son was born and i didnt notice the side effects from jump but my fiance noticed  the change in me , i had  mood swings 3 to 4 times a day, i lost intrest in our sex life,heavy head aches and i gained weight in the wrong places. leaving me with a body im not comfortable in,i last had a proper period before my son was born but since taking bepo all i have now is spotting  which only lasts for one night. whats the best prevention method without side effects.?
Depo Provera is costing me my relationship with my husband. After 7 years married (today) he confessed to me to be emotionally drained... wow... that's because we never have sex. And when we do it feels to me like a job. I don't enjoy it, I want it to be over fast.

I definitely NOT GETTING my next shot. I guess I'll go back to the pill =/

Being a woman is a wonderful thing, but chemical birth control *****. Good luck to the ones that keep trying. I hope I stay married until the loss of libido goes away...
I have been on Depo for 16 years.  I stopped having a period about 3-5 months after my first shot.  I was never told of the long term effects of this shot.  I would like to share that I experienced the weight gain to the point that I had gastric bypass surgery, however having the surgery and taking the pill both cause bone density I know suffer from osteopenia which is the beginning of osteoporosis, I also experienced hair loss not to the point of baldness but I started with very very thick hair and it was course and curly now its straighter and thinner in volume.  You should be told not to remain on this shot for long term because you will loose your bone density.  I started at age 30 I'm now 46 and before I start menopause I decided to go off of it and also because my bones are getting worse with prolong use of depo.  I cant say if my mood swings or sometimes having depression or irritability is a result of this becuase normal every day people experience this without being on depo, life does this to you.  All birth contol methods cause some kind of side effects when I was younger I was on the pill an it caused me vericose veins which never went away.  I did go off for about a year and went on the patch, I did experience some breast tenderness, about the same someone would feel when they were getting close to their period or what you experience when your pregnant.  I dont say its dangerous everything is, I would say read up on it before considering it, but I definetly would not recommend long term use anything over 4 years.  I hope that I will regain or at least stop my bone loss, I am very  upset with my Doctors, that I was not given more test frequently and early in my use of depo, I had to ask for it, as I was told that this test is only given to women after menopause, and this was after 10 years of being on it.  Had I had a bone test earlier and found out that I was developing the bone loss then I probably would have gone off the shot long ago.  So the 4 major side effects I suffered in the long term use of this shot was 1. no periods (no problem there) 2. Bone loss. 3. weight gain 100 lbs in 7 years. 4. hair loss (but not baldness).  I never got sick, felt ill, while on it, never experienced any discomfort of any kind, other then the weight gain and hair loss which is visible the rest had to be determind by testing me I wouldnt have been able to tell you that I had these problems. Otherwise I am a very healthy person.
I wonder ladies if we are missing something.  For years Catholicism taught abstaining was the surest form of birth control.  Sex before marriage was frowned upon, however, understanding human nature women were taught to use a natural form of birth control called "the rhythm method".  Some laugh at this nowdays, but I think that the Catholics were on to something.  Is there a doctor out there that will help us women and our young daughters.  Instead of them saying to use here is your quick fix take this pill every day or get this shot once every 3 months, this is your best solution and it will make your life more convenient hint hint make pharmeceutical companies billions will the take the time and sit down with us and teach us the natural ways to serve our bodies.  Will they take give us a class on the rhythm method and have us come in once a month for 3 months to check our progress and how we are charting our bodies natural process.  That is with all medical problems and decisions.  Healthcare only pays for your medical doctor's visits, who in turn prescribe us medication that may work and if not they would move on to the next drug on the list to see if it works and then the next and the next and so on.  So the doctors get wealthy because every time you visit they get paid and the drug companies get paid from the perscriptions that the doctor prescribes you, but do we ever get healed.  If you decide to go the holistic route to heal your ailments healthcare will not pay for that.  I'm lost does not healthcare mean that you care enough about my health that you want to offer the best possible solutions for us.  If you go thru menopause a medical Dr will give you a prescription for estrogen, but a holistic Dr will give you the remedy that our great great great .... grandmothers used which were natural not synthetically engineered.  I'm not saying that healthcare is a conspiracy.  All I'm saying is that from my daughter and many others taking the depo shot the drug companies are not just receiving money for the shot, but they are profiting from the medicines and treatments/procedures used to treat the side effects of the depo shot .  Medicines and treatments/procedures for the osteo conditions, migraines, excessive weight gain, dermatology conditions, birth control pills to start menustration, psychological disagnoses , hair loss, treatments for the shortness of breath or heart problems and trips to the ER for these, the pain meds for back problems, the cost of the test that are run to diagnose these medical problems, and one of the most expensive procedures fertilization procedures that cost a ridiculous amount of money for 1 procedure and many have to go thru 3 or more to conceive and some invest and never conceive because they have taken depo so long that the effect is not reversible.  This is only a short list of the meds and procedures that are needed to treat the side effects or just get your body back to where it should naturally be.  Imagine if we went in with our side effects of depo to a holistic doctor and they told us to get off of the depo better still not to take any form of birth control at all, but educated us in the rhythm method of birth control then what they did next amazed us instead of prescribing a list of drugs they gave us a natural detox plan to get the depo out of our system then they gave us a list of natural products for example ginger root and rosemary hips that would help us get our body back on track and most of the herbs etc. that we were give he encouraged us to grown in the backyard or our homes or the balconies of our condos or apartments. Then to top that off they would help us set up a realistic exercise program and didn't tell us to diet but they set up a proper diet plan for a lifetime eating habit and told us to make sure that we got at least 1 hr of fresh air throughout the day and some sun because we needed the vitamin D (don't tan just get some sun)  which could be accomplished very easily if we created that garden they mentioned above and grew our own fruits, vegetables and herbs.  More importantly what if these visits were covered by our health insurance?  WOW we would probably be so healthy that Drs might actually become obsolete at least in the sense in how they exist now and how we now depend on them today.  I know that some people would think I don't have time to do all this and I definitely don't have time to count the days of my period and try to figure out when I'm ovulating more or less plant a garden.  Then maybe we need to slow down as a society and figure that if we took the time to do these things then it wouldn't take a lot of time in the long run.  You see now most of our bodies are so polluted from the processed and fasst foods that we eat,  the products that we use with names we can't even began to pronounce more or less know what they are,and the manufactured meds that we take that we can't hear our bodies screaming warnings to us through all of the chaos, but if our bodies were given more natural care  when they whispered warnings to us it would be as audible as a scream.  The problem for most is that in order to get this kind of treatment it has to be out of pocket because healthcare do not recognize this as a medical treatment and most people can't even afford to go in for the initial holistic consultation.  Some consultations cost well over $300 and $500 and that is because they don't get healthcare money only the money of those that can afford the fee.     They will pay for chriopracters to crack you neck or back, but not for you to get a colon cleanse or aqua clense from a holistic business.  Aqua clense works that is where they put your feet in water with a natural substance that pulls the toxins out of your body thru the pores of your feet.  The water changes color and just by the color of the water they can tell you what type of meds you are taking and the cleanse leaves you feeling refreshed and colon and aqua cleanses help to detox depo. Sorry I didn't mean to bore you.
ALL IN ALL DEPO IS BAD AS I'M SURE MOST ENGINEERED BIRTH CONTROL ARE REMEMBER YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE ABLE TO KEEP THE BEAT TO A MICHAEL JACKSON SONG TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO USE THE "RHYTHM MEDTHOD" FORM  OF BIRTH CONTROL.
I don't like to comment on these things but whatever who cares.
I want to share my story on Depo ..

I am 14 and my parents are divorced. My dad has a nasty ,nasty girlfriend . Well , she told me she would do everything she could in her power to ruin my life. She's done it all ....But as she said, she would do anything in her power to ruin my life..

Well. She hasnt done it until she forced me to get Depo Provera.
I dont think or act like myself now. I feel like a five year old. My hormones are stopped. I'm not growing the same - I'm not feeling the same, or talking the same, or thinking the same, and everyone is noticing. This is not at all how i normally think. My ambition and personality is  affectedd too ..I also completely lost all my sex drive.  I feel like a child. Not to mention all the other side effects - I had a period that lasted 15 days once the medicine kicked in, and weight gain, a change in my appetite , and it basically  affected my whole life. i'm scared to death that this may ruin my life if this stays in my system . I'm scared that because i took it at such a young age, that i may never mature to how i was before or to the maturity i should be at - mentally, emotionally, + physically. i would never wish this on someone. i've been through a lot in my life  .. more than another kid my age.. and this is by far the worst.. i hope that God will fix this for me.
and i hope that anyone close to my age doesnt get this shot.. it's hell..
i started taking the depo shot when i was 13(which was 5 years ago now)..i know kinda early for a girl to start taking birth control..but i didnt have the best begining to my teenage girl years.i stopped taking the shot 2 years ago in march.my periods started to finally become regular in december of 2009..after i have been off the shot a year.there is a family history of reproduction issues for the women in my family.now that i am almost 19 years old and engaged to a wonderful man..we are starting to talk about later having children.we actually thought that we were having a baby..but for 2 months now everytime i think im pregnant i start my period.i am so scared that i am infertile..i am starting to go to the doctor to get my fertility testing..i dont know if my problems were bought on by genetics or the shot.but regardless i do not advise any woman to take the depo shot..i had many problems with it.emotionally and physically.and i feel like they are still with me after 2 years now..
i received my depo shot a few weeks ago after a miscarriage. apparently my chosen form of birth control didn't work and it was suggested by the dr. I have been fine. my periods usually start around the 13th. it is now the 23rd and i have finally started.

the past 10 days have been like a roller coaster for me.... and i have been moody (because of the miscarriage?) and today i finally started. i have been crying all day and have really bad cramps. i cant tell if it is just me, or if it is the depo... but i was researching to try to find what sort of anitdepressant is safe to take with depo.

my body does not feel normal, and i actually had 3 arguments with the bf today,  he was sweet, but he could not do anything right... which is not his fault it is mine. i actually dared him to leave me... and that is not like me at all.

good news is that my period is like droplets, which is cool....but i have been so wet for the past little while that i didn't even realize that it started. guess i am the opposite of most people, who express dryness. i have also had a high libido, which would be wonderful if the bf lived closer. instead it is just annoying.

but, like i said i dont know if this is because of the depo or the miscarriage, or getting the shot so soon after the miscarriage (about a month).
I'm sixteen. I took the Depo Provera shot about a month ago. It's the worst thing I've experienced. No, I haven't had weight gain (yet) and no, I haven't had consistent bleeding. I'm utterly grateful for that. But I do notice a difference in my behavior and appearance. I look more fatigued than usual. I can't seem to sleep (I went from sleeping 15 hours a day to 4.) My hair falls out in multiple strings during my shower, out of the shower. The worst part of it is that I can't stop being depressed. I am an emotional wreck. I took a pregnancy test and performed a self- check to see if it was my own personal emotions effecting me. But no. I am usually a happy teenager, with a boyfriend that I truly love and care about. Lately, since the Depo, I've been feeling extremely insecure and just so sad. My mood swings back and forth constantly. I am torn between being my normal happy self for 30 minutes to being a depressed, quiet, tearful being for hours on end. Nothing seems to make me happy when I'm like that. The mood is triggered by silly things but then stays for so long that I don't even remember why I got like that in the first place, I only recall the pain. I cry constantly from it. I'm afraid to go off of it because of the delayed heavy bleeding and fearful to stay on it because of my depression. I can only cross my fingers and hope that I feel, and stay, happy.
I really want to get off this Depo shot ..but I'm reading everyones stories and I can relate to some of the symptoms but then I see there's no hope except waiting it out. everytime I get up from sitting down or from laying down I get very dizzy ..I also get chest pains ..and my rib cages hurt a lot. I havnt had headaches yet but the dr said I will. I feel sore pain in the vaginal area after sex and I just hate this pill it's making mr break out a lot. It's like being 14 all over again. I don't get my period obviously I never was regular but I rather get my period then be on this shot. Sometimes I feel a big loss in my appetite like i don't want to eat. I believe I'm losing weight and it scares me because the real reason I got on the shot was to gain weight. I'm 105.or was and I can't afford to lose weight I'll hate myself. I can't wait till November. I almost forgot depression . & moodswings ..it's terrible . I do not recommend this birth control to anyone . Even though it's different for everyone
i got the shot sep 28th after being confirmed that i had miscarried, ive noticed gained weight because my jeans are tight but ive actually been loosing weight since i got it. i do get very depressed & cry over everything but i havent experienced vaginal dryness or extreme mood swings. ive been bleeding since  sep 28th. it started with heavy bright red blood and then got lighter its october 13th and i still have bleeding its very light. like drops.
I got my first shot and my Doc wasnt concernd at all about me taking it. I had weight gain before I took it and was not aware that it was unsafe for me to have it. The nurse let me know of this and I asked if it was safe for me to have it. She said I should be fine just try lose some weight which I have started to do. The next day my back was in so much pain and my injection sight was red and black. I thought this must not be normal and stayed in my bed for the day. Then a couple of days later I had sever depression which I never had. My partner was so afraid and had no idea what was going on. I have had the drug in my system for a few weeks now and would not recommend this. I cannot deal with the depression I have had. I am now seeing a counselor and in need of anti depression. I do  not feel well at all!
im 17 and my mom thought depo would be best for me so i didnt get pregnant, the shot has horrible side effects i constantly look like im 5 months pregnant im hungry i have major cramps i have no period but pass blood clots all month its makes your breast sore and im constantly tired so to anyone who is thinking about getting the shot make sure you read up on the side effect because it effects everyone differently!
I took the depo shot for 2 years. I started taking it when I was almost 40 by recomendation from my doctor. I was having really bad periods and even worse cramps with some spotting in between. My doctor thought this was because I had an enlarged uterus. He suggested the shot for my symptoms but didn't warn me of the side effects. The only thing said to me was that some women hate it and some love it. He said I might have some light spotting but that was it. The first year I did great but I did spot, and sometimes a little more than spot, for the first entire year. I didn't have any other symptoms though and since my period stopped I thoguht I was in Heaven. The second year I finally stopped spotting and still had no period. I then started to have side effects. The problem was that I didn't even know these were side effects of the shot. My hair started falling out by the handfuls but I blamed this on being on a diet. My teeth became brittle and my gums were receeding. I blamed this on smoking. I gained about 25 pounds but I blamed this on quitting my diet since I thought this was causing my hair to fall out. My mood and even my sex drived changed big time. I felt like I was just either angry or sad all of the time. My sex drive did not exist period. I thought these things were just coming along with age or even stress. When it was time for my last shot (in oct 2012) I asked my doctor if I should continue the shot as we had discussed me only taking it for 2 years. He said that it was up to me to decide. He said he didn't care either way but if I wanted to see if my periods would come back and be more regulated that I could stop the shot and see how it went. I told him about all of the symptoms I was having and asked if it were possible that they were related to taking the shot. He told me that maybe the weight gain was but he seriously doubted it because we all knew how to eat healthy and if we didn't we knew we'd gain weight. Well my mouth just flew open and I was insulted but what did I know. After that,I started reading online and I was horrified to say the least! Women on every site about the depo shot had the same complaints and even worse than what I was having! I was just shocked and mad at my doctor at the same time! Needless to say I have learned my lesson that sometimes the Dr. Isn't always right! My last shot was in Oct 2012 and so was my last visit to that Dr! My hair is falling out worse than ever before. This weekend I cried everday. I am afraid that I will be bald soon in the back of my head. I have had some very light spotting, my boobs are so sore that I cannot touch them or lay on my stomach and one second I'm happy, the next I'm either crying or mad. I've not gained any more weight yet and my teeth and gums are about the same and so is the sex drive. I hope and pray everyday that this horrible drug just leaves my system. I wonder if I will ever be normal again. I guess time will tell. I will take my hellacious cramps and bad periods over this. Hopefully I won't be completely bald. My hair was the only thing that I really liked about myself. Everybody says oh its only hair and it will grow back. I say oh that is b.s. And if were them they would feel the same way. THanks for listening and woooo that felt great to actually get all of that out! I plan to update as soon as there's any change! Thanks for letting me vent!
Omg, I feel so bad for you. I too am in my 40's and started depo last year. I just had my 3rd shot in the middle of February and have experienced headaches and extreme anger over things that wouldn't normally bother me. There are times when I think I'm going to explode. I was experiencing other things too that I didn't think were from the shot but now I realize they are..like anxiety, tingling in left hand, difficulty with speach, and I'm sure If i think hard enough, I can come up with other side effects that I haven't credited to the shot. This will be my last one and I want it out of my system ASAP. I hope things turn back to normal for you soon. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.  
One more thing I forgot to mention...I gained 10 lbs in the first month and  I work out 3 - 4 times a week and eat pretty healthy and it won't come off...
I'm currently 45.  I was 28 and had just recently delivered my second child when I was introduced to Depo.  My OB/GYN was very reassuring and spoke of Depo in very glowing terms.  She stated that there was a low risk of side effects, other than possible weight gain, but that most women who were going to gain weight on Depo generally did so shortly after starting it.  

It should be noted that I was slightly underweight at 5'3" and about 105 pounds when I first started taking the shot shortly after delivering my son.  In the ensuing months, while I initially welcomed the weight gain, which provided some much-needed fat to helped to fill out my curves, I gained roughly 50-60 pounds over slightly more than 24 months.  I had VIOLENT mood swings, most of which ended up on - and lingered at - the negative end of the mood spectrum.  I was not fit to live with!  My sex drive was nonexistent.  My poor husband started using a calendar to track how often we WEREN'T having sex!  And I would spontaneously begin bleeding with no warning between shots.  I was in a veritable hell!!

My concerns about the apparent side effects of Depo went unheeded.  My OB/GYN said that my appetite had changed, and this was the reason for the weight gain.  What a CROCK!!  I had not changed my eating habits one iota!!  And she didn't really offer any explanation or possible solution for my other complaints.  And while I did not object to having no period, and had no plans to conceive again, I DID object to the negative side effects I had experienced.  

Ultimately, I elected to discontinue the Depo on my own, and against the advice of my OB/GYN, approximately two years after initiating it.   My health insurance plan also changed shortly thereafter due to a job change, so I found another OB/GYN.  

She was more sympathetic to my complaints, validating my concerns.  Birth control was still an issue, but because of the runaway weight gain, she unequivocally ruled out any hormonal means of birth control as a possibility, stating that she could not say when the weight gain would stop.  

I turned to condoms, and while discontinuing the Depo did help my mood vastly, and my periods to return to normal, it did NOT result in weight loss.  In fact, my weight has continued to be an issue for me, despite the fact that my weight was NEVER an issue for more than the first half of my life!!

In graduate school, I met two women who had also been on Depo.  One had lost weight on the shot.  The other had an experience similar to mine, gaining multiple tens of pounds.  I felt somewhat validated, but was still desperate to reverse the weight gain.  

Despondent about the weight I had gained and was unable to lose, I researched Depo further, discovering that there had been a lawsuit against the drug's manufacturer, but the class action litigation had been settled shortly before I was introduced to it by the OB/GYN who attended my second pregnancy.  Of course, she failed to mention to me that there had even BEEN a class action lawsuit about the side effects of Depo!!  I have also since learned that, in recent research, Depo has been deemed to be diabetogenic!!  

Fast forward to 2006.  My periods had been regular since discontinuing the shot, but became progressively heavier and heavier.  I have since undergone endometrial ablation TWICE:  once in December 2008, and again last year in October.  I do not know whether Depo can be implicated in the issue of my endometrial hypertrophy, but given all of the other myriad problems it has caused, it wouldn't surprise me if this were a direct and/or proxinal cause!  

I also continue to struggle with my weight, a battle which has been exacerbated by a diagnosis of fibromyalgia in the summer of 2010.  While I have had some limited success with reducing my weight over the years, this has continued to be an uphill battle as I have been unable to maintain the loss, despite vigilance about food intake and physical activity.  To find that I am not the only woman to experience these untoward effects of Depo does offer a measure of validation to my complaints and concerns.  I only wish that there were a way to permanently reverse the effects of the Depo and alleviate my continued suffering.  .   .

I recently met someone through my job who shared that she, too, experienced catastrophic weight gain with Depo.  However, whereas my weight gain was fairly insidious in that it occurred over the two years that I was on the shot, and continued long after I had discontinued it, the woman in question stated that she started Depo shortly after delivering her first child 19 years ago and gain 30 POUNDS IN THE FIRST WEEK AFTER THE INITIAL INJECTION!!!  Understandably, her OB/GYN was QUITE ALARMED by this!!  Unfortunately, she was disillusioned to learn that there was NOTHING that could be done to reverse Depo's effects once she had received the shot.  And like me and other women I have met, her weight had NEVER been a factor prior to Depo.  

For women who have had success with Depo, I congratulate you.  However, for anyone who has no interest in being a guinea pig for the sake of convenient contraception, I would STRONGLY urge you to consider alternative methods of birth control.  In my opinion, the risks of Depo just ARE NOT WORTH IT!!!  
im 49 and av been on the deppo for 22 years im suffering teribble with my bk and hands and knees iv got to be tested for brittle bone please think carefully before taking this
Im SO sorry for your losses due to this Depo crap! I am having my second PANIC ATTACK since being on Depo that started 4 days ago! I am having chest pains, shortness of breath, weakness, lack of appetite, anxiety AND severe high blood pressure. The ER and the VA (Im a veteran) cannot figure out what's wrong with me, but in reading the Depo side effects, I know this is the reason I feel this way. And there is nothing I can do until it is out of my system. I hate feeling this way. It's scary as hell! I recommend it to NO ONE!!!!!
I got my depo shot two weeks ago for the first time. My current side effects are low sex drive and back pain. My back pain is soooo bad. I cant bend over or lift heavy. Im pretty athletic, now i cant even work out or pick up my kid. Im considering going to the e.r. Today. The pain doesn't let up at all.
Tell her Do Not Get It!!! My 14 year old did and now has a chronic headache we cannot relieve going on 2 months and is now home bound from school!
My daughter too is now homebound from school.  She is 15 and she had attempted suicide a couple of months ago due to her depression  - it was recommended by her psychiatrist and her primary care physician that she go on depo thinking her cycle was causing this depression.  What a mistake - her depression got worse - all she does is either cry like someone died or sleep.  she can't go to school or snow board or shop - She is completely dysfunctional.  I don't know what to do at this point.  This depo was the biggest mistake we have ever made.  I wish I had seen this sooner.  Hoping it will be out of her system soon.  I hope your daughter gets better too.
do depo make your butt bigger
Hey my daughter is 15 and has had been on Depo since Dec. When we went to get her shot in March they found that her blood pressure was very high! After going through test after test, they decided to put her on blood pressure medicine. She is so moody, very depressed, migraines that are keeping her home from school days at a time. I have asked the Dr a million times if this all is related to the Depo shot and over and over again they say there is no way. My daughter went on the Depo because every month she was suffering with cysts bursting on her ovaries and the Dr said that this is the best treatment. I'm so worried about her please let me know if your daughter is ok and if there is light at the end of the tunnel