Depo-provera and health problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Depo-provera and health problems

I started the Depo-provera shot last November.  I've only had one shot so far, my next is coming up.  I've been reading a lot about the effects of the shot and I'm starting to worry that it may be the cause for some odd health problems.  About a month ago my right knee started hurting constantly - I'm 22, the doctor told me it's just arthritis.  It still hurts all the time, so much some times that I can't sleep.  At the same time that this started I noticed bumps on my legs that had never been there before.  The doctor said they were just cysts(which I've never had before) and there was nothing to worry about.  It's been about a month since then and those bumps on my legs have doubled.  I have 7 on my left leg and 3 on my right.  Some of them are barely noticeable, and others are quite noticeable.  Am I paranoid to think this might be related to Depo-provera?
I was on depo for 1 year.  (I'm 25 now, 23 at the depo time)   I gained 50 pounds, had terrible mood swings, depression, bone loss, fatigue and some minor other problems.   I suffer from knee/joint pain now because depo causes you to loose calcium in your bones.  If you choose to go with it, make sure you start a calcuim supplament right away.  I honestly would suggest researching into any drug before you commit to it. Some people I know have had really good luck with it.  But, it's a personal choice so good luck with your decison.
I have never taken Depo, but I know of many women who have taken it with horrible side effects.  In particular, there a lot of women that have gotten off of it in order to try to get pregnant and have not been able to conceive.  It is probably impossible to prove a direct link between Depo and infertility, but this seems to be a somewhat common problem.  Ultimately, the choice is yours, but continue to do some more research on it.  There may be other options that are better for you.  Don't let your DR talk you into continue taking it if you are that uncomfortable with it.  You know your body and how you care for it is YOUR decision, not your DR's.  Good luck.
I was on it for about a year the second time around.  It gave me ovarian cysts, liver function problems, and an arrythmia that I now have for life.  I would get off of it.
I was on Depo for 1 yr. about 4 yrs. ago...I gained 24 lbs. had some hair loss, and developed some joint pain. My mother was on it for 5 years, and has experienced bone loss. I will never take DEPO  again. There are too many other BC Options on the market, to settle for one with such extreme side effects.I am now on Mirena IUD and I love it!!!!!!!!
hey, well ive just had my second injection and im not getting my 3rd. iv had side affects like crazy and ive been driving myself insane, my blood vessels are inflamed, im getting signs of pregnancy but im not pregnant, ive checked and loads of other things like that. i would come off it but check to see if these side affects that you are having are related to the depo. hope everything turns out good for you. good luck
I was on depo for about 5yrs on and off. I gained about 50 pds, had terrible mood swings, and no periods.  Then I started having hot flashes, night sweats, come to find out at 23yrs old I was expericing early menopause due to the depo. The doctors wanted to put me on the estrogen pill to help but I decided to get off the depo and never get it again.
I've been on Depo for 1.5 yr and initially had some tremendous mood swings that were out of control for approximately 2 mo.  I began experiencing hot flashes in the morning which still come every morning when I wake. I noticed joint problems a little after a yr of DEPO, although they seemed odd there was nothing so extraordinary that it couldn't be explained by chance.  I recently broke my arm snowboarding which raised Q's about bone density loss. Thank you for posting your experiences...this month was my last shot!