Dermal Tumor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Dermal Tumor

I was told today I have a dermal tumor.  My doctor said these tumors could have hair and teeth.  What causes this?  Was it a baby that went wrong?  We have been trying for 2 years to get pregnant without success.  Even with one good ovary will I still be able to get pregnant?  Also I was told I have a retroverted uturus.  Will this lower my changes of getting pregnant?
I'm going to watch this thread and see how this turns out,  dyann.  

Hair and teeth?  Was this a bad attempt at a joke by your doctor?
I found this medical abstract,  and it does mention "well differentiated tooth and bone formation".   The subject is a female monkey,  and it's an ovarian teratoma,  which is a more technical name for dermal tumor.  

Best wishes.

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/tox/16/4/16_283/_article/-char/en
Are you refering to a dermoid tumor/cyst?
What scans have you had? Dermoid can indeed have hair, teeth, skin, thyroid tissue etc I think CT scans are helpful in determing what they consist of. I have one that is 'of fat density'. As far as I know they are always removed but I think it depends on who you talk to as to whether to remove it before or after getting pregnant. Do you know the size of the tumor?
What has your doctor suggested?
The gynaecologist I saw said that it's when an egg decides to try and create something on it's own (without sperm). However the woman that performed my first ultrasound said that you are born with them so I'm really not sure!
All the best,
Kristy.
The doctor called it a tumor.  They said it is 9 inches!  I was freaking out when I found out about it.  They have only done an ultrasound and they are going to remove it at the end of this month.  I saw this thing on the Discovery channel about a guy that had a tumor and they said it was his twin.  So that is all I can think of!  I really grosses me out!