Diabetes

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Diabetes

How far along do you have to be to be tested for diabetes?
Why do u have to drink sugar water?
Confused!!
currently 22 wks..
my cousin was close to 5 months when the tested her for gestational diabetes.
I was tested at 2 1/2 months.
Avatar n tn
is that necessary?  what if I skip that? would the doctor allow me?  I hardly eat something with a lot of sugar, except fruits.
Well, if it were me I wouldn't skip it.  Diabetes in pregnancy can be very dangerous if not diagnosed and managed.  The test is no big deal, and it can prevent a lot of bad consequences.
Avatar n tn
Its better to be safe than sorry.  I had mine done at 6 weeks and then have to have it done again.  Its not bad.  You drink this sugary stuff and wait an hour and have your blood taken.  The faster you drink it the faster the hour starts to go by.
I think it was 26 wks or so... you drink a little fruity drink, they draw blood - no biggy. They just want to make sure your body is processing sugar properly. If not, it could lead to bigger problems.. it is certainly a good idea to take it.
i was about 26 weeks.........

Timmy i would not recommend skipping that! it can be very dangerous if you get it and do not know. I have 2 normal pregnancies and then with my third i got it. It was easily controlled and all turned out fine.
I did mine at 28 weeks (last week) The drink was the orange and honestly, I liked it.
i was tested at 28 weeks and i failed.  I had to go back to the 3hr test and have my blood taken 4x.  I now have gestational diabetest that I control w/ diet and check my blood sugar level 4x a day.  My best advice would be stay away from sweets and high carbs.  Moderate exercise such as walking is great for all moms.  Drink plenty of water.  I have 6 weeks to go and the first thing I am gonna eat is pizza!!!!
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals