Diarrhea while pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Diarrhea while pregnant

Help! I have had diarrhea for the past two days. I just found out that I was pregnant three days ago.I cant get in to see my doctor untill the end of next week.Is it okay to take Imodium (immodium) for diarrhea?It says on the box to consult with your doctor if you are pregnant, but they are closed over the weekend and it has gotten worse today.Has anyone else had this problem?I would really appreciate any help with this!I have to work a 10 hour day tommorrow and would really like to get some relief!Thank you!
Call your pharmacy.  A pharmacist will or should be able to help you with that.  I don't want to give you false info and I can't find my approved pregnancy medication list.

Good luck
One naturl remedy for diarrea (diarrhea) that will stop it and won't hurt the baby is by taking 1 cup of brown rice and 4 cups of water.  Cook it in the oven covered until it is really mushy about 2 hours.  The put it in the blender and blend it really fine.  This helps to stop it everytime.  It will not stop the bowl moverment but it will stop the frequency.  Also keep in mind that if it is a virus that it has to have an exit.  If you try to stop it completely with medicine then it could cause you to start vomiting since it has to get out of your body somehow.  Atleast with this natural method it won't stop the bowl movements but will bind you up enough that you aren't running to the bathroom with cramps.
It could be a flu bug! I had it last weekend but I had vomiting as well. I am 12 weeks and it wasn't pregnancy related.Eat dry foods ie. rice, crackers, toast, broth, baked potato.
Keep dehydrated too!
Ginger also helps. But I totally agree with alway calling your Pharmacist with any questions like this. They are so educated and very happy to answer such questions, plus they KNOW what you are already taking or have allergies to and are a great part of your health care provider team. Most of the time they know more about the meds end of it than your doc does. So yeah, call them. Great idea!
I was able to take Imodium (immodium) while I was pregnant, but can't say if it would be okay for you.
Just my own experience...
And if you do opt for the Ginger, just know that it causes really gross ginger burps.LOL Hope you are feeling better today! Including your back..
--J