Dicharge Smells Like Ammonia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Dicharge Smells Like Ammonia

Sometimes i get discharge that smells of Ammonia.Sometimes i have to change my underwear twice a day. Is this normal? Or is this a sign of some kind of infection? Any thoughts anyone has will be greatly appreciated. Thank you All in Advance..
Hello

It seems to me that you have a  Urinary tract infection. I would advise you to go to a doctor.
THAT DOESN'T SOUND NORMAL TO ME. IN SCHOOL I'V LEARNED THAT WOMEN SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY TYPE OF DISCHARGE. AND BEING THAT YOU HAVE A DISCHARGE THAT HAS A SCENT TO IT SOUNDS ABNORMAL. MY ADVISE IS TO GO TO THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT OR YOUR FAMILY DR.
every women have discharge and it does sound like a urinary tract infection just get it checked out

good luck

tracy1987
I know this may sound silly----Are you using bleach when washing your undergarments? Why I ask is
After i workout I noticed this smell as well at first I thought UTI went to doc no UTI, so with some reseach I found out that when I sweat and we all know how we can sweat especially when wkingout. with the sweat and the use of bleach added together was given a strong smell of ammonia.  I am not saying that is what it is. That was my experience...I would suggest that you get checked out. and if you don't have a UTI congrats. I just wanted to share my experience of the ammonia smell...

Good Luck!!!!
Women do have discharge, its normal... If you don’t have any, you need to go see a doctor. You should scare people like that... It is nature’s way of cleaning out that area between periods. I am yet to meet someone that doesn’t have any. The amount might vary between women because everyone is different but obvious large amounts could be a sign of something wrong.

Good luck Rabbit615. I have been to medical school and I would have to say that you know your body better then anyone else. If you think something is wrong, get it checked out. So many other things need to be checked out in order to determine what is wrong, if anything at all. I hope everything is ok though. =]