Women's Health Community
Did my birth control make me sick?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Did my birth control make me sick?

Hello, thank you for reading and answering my questions.

I am 34 years old.  In my early to mid twenties, I took Ortho Tri Cyclen for birth control.  In my late twenties, I was told by my physician to stop because she had discovered that I have Lupus.  I was told that BC pills can negatively affect an autoimmune disease because of the hormones.  For about 6 or 7 years now, I have used condoms to prevent pregnancy.

Also, until about a month and a half ago, I have never taken vitamins or supplements.  I started taking a B Complex vitamin and a 5 HTP supplement.  I've done very well with them and can tell a difference in my energy.

Recently, I was told that I absolutely do not have Lupus, and that it is probably Fibromyalgia.  My gyno said it was safe to return to Ortho Tri Cylcen, but gave me the Lo version.  I was on it for only six days when I started developing these symptoms:  

I developed nausea that lasted about 24 hours during which I did vomit once.
Right before I vomited, I felt a quick wave of escalating heat come over me that didn't subside until a few minutes after vomiting.
I believe it is important to note that this nausea and vomiting felt totally unlike any type of virus, it felt different and very, very strange.
I cried for hours afterward because I couldn't stand feeling like this.

I stopped the pills that Saturday, the sixth day, and spoke to my gyno on Monday.  She said to stop completely and we could try something different after my next period.  But she didn't give me any explanations as this was a quick telephone call.

Right around the time I started this birth control, I also switched my vitamins.  I stopped the B Complex, and started a Multi Vitamin that included the same amount of B Complex, plus, obviously, lots of everything else.

I've been off the birth control for about 5 days, and I have been on the Multi vitamin for about a week and a half.

Last night, I woke up as the same quick wave of heat was coming over me.  I could feel it passing over my body and I could feel my temperature rise.  Everything I've read about a menopausal hot flash seems to fit what I felt.

I had the same nausea and vomited within a few minutes.  It felt the same as before as well.

Just like before, I returned back to normal after having vomited.

So, my questions are:

Do you think I'm actually experiencing "hot flashes?"  I'm only 34.  
Are they related to the birth control and/or the multi vitamin?
Can a birth control pill trigger pre-menopause?
Is there a relation between a possible auto immune disease and these types of symptoms while on BC?
Can multi vitamins make a person nauseous?
Do you think the BC and/or the multi vitamin, or the combination of them, is causing the symptoms I'm having?

Most importantly,
When will this go away if it's related to the BC?  I don't know how much longer I can endure this.  Shouldn't the pills be out of my system by now?

Again, thank you for taking time to read and answer.  I appreciate it. f