Difference between yeast and bacterial infection???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Ladies-I need some help!  I seriously don't want to make an appt with my doc, because his first available is Jan 11!!!  (I'm glad I'm not dying..lol).  Sorry, this is gross--I have vaginal itching, not internal, but external.  It started earlier this AM.
No yeast-like discharge, but no odor that normally accompanies bacterial infections.  This one has me stumped.  I've had both before, and I can usually tell by the onset of symptoms which one it is.  My doc won't call in anything if they're not sure, but they can't see me for 2 weeks.  This is craziness.  
Any opinions-?? I've looked at past posts to try to tell the difference, and can't locate an answer.
The discharge I do have is odorless, and clear.  I finished my period Sunday.  I am married for 10 years, no sexual partners outside of marriage at all, for either of us.  Help!!!MH
Isn't it fun being a woman? I would think it is a yeast infection. Bacterial vaginosis has a fishy odour. That's how I tell the difference. Why don't you try some vaginal itching cream first. I have had those infections since I was little. They suck!
I agree, I'd start with a Monistat treatment and use the cream they enclose in the box for the external itching. This should provide you with some relief and most likely take care of the problem. It sounds EXACTLY like a yeast infection. But go ahead and schedule that appt. for the 11th, if it clears up and the Monistat works then you can cancel it, but if it doesn't clear up then you are already on the schedule and won't have to wait even longer.
Hope you feel better soon.--J
You can probably just try a three-day treatment and see if it clears up your infection. Mainly, though, I just wanted to say that I'm always surprised to hear how hard it is for some people to see their doctors. If I need to, I can get in to see my doctor that very day - and if it's an emergency and there aren't any openings, they'll work you in between appointments. If your regular doctor's not in, there's always someone on call to cover his/her emergency appts. Over the years I've seen most of the doctors in that office, and are all exceptional. And best of all, you really feel cared for. It's a fairly large practice, part of a large network of offices around town - there's even a specific office that handles nothing but walkins and offers extended hours. I don't know if something like that is available in your area, but it might be worth seeking out. I don't know that I'd have the patience to wait two weeks for something like this :-)
Thanks to everyone for their comments.  This is a very large practice, and the docs are all wonderful.  I could be seen by another doc, but I guess I was hoping for "my" doc that I feel like I know.  I could be seen tomorrow by someone, though.  It's just frustrating that they don't try to work in sick patients.
Anyway, thanks for the advice.  MH
Are you allergic to any type of detergents?  Someitmes even when the external area gets irritated by something there is a dischare.  I am sensitive to soaps in that area and have the symptoms you describe when my skin gets irritated. They are right!  You should not have to wait 2 weeks to see your doctor. They don't even have a nurse practitioner in the office?  This is a simple problem that they should be able to see you for.  That would be extremely frustrationg!  Hope you feel better.
You are so right! There are only two doctors in our Family Practice office and one of them is ALWAYS available. If one of my kids are sick or if my back goes out, I know I can count on them to be there. And if it's after hours, they will call me from their home. Anyone reading this that doesn't feel this standard of care from their doctor should keep looking until they find one that is available for them. This is your doctor and your health. Why settle for less? I have had lousey docs in the past and just kept walking. People put more time and effort into buying a car than seeking out the person that will care for their families.
Makes me feel very lucky to have a great family doc looking after us.
--J
Sorry, but I am very curious what the difference is between the two infections; bacterial and yeast.  I mean can't you use the same medicatons for both and can't you get medications for both infections in the store?  
No. They are NOT the same thing. A "bacterial infection" is caused by bacteria, and a "yeast infection" is caused by an imbalance of ph or yeast in the system. Both have similar symptoms though, and can be hard to tell apart. However, they are treated differently, with different medications. A Bacterial infection requires antibiotics to clear it up.... A yeast inf requires something totally, and can sometimes be effectively cured by OTC meds. I would suggest seeing your doc to be sure you're treating the right one though. Good Luck! =)
hi.. i had a few questions, and i was wondering if someone can help me... i had unprotected sex with my gf, but made sure i came outside of her, then i went down on her, 2 days later, she was complaining about an itch down there, two days after that, 2 pimples formed because of the extensive itching, it burns her when she pee's, and she cant get wet, and there is yellow discharge on her panties, she got some cream from the pharmacy, for the itching i guess, but it didnt make a big different, maybe the itching is less, so i need some female assistance please:) is it BV or yeast infection?, i hope its NOT A BABY. HELP!!
Ok i had this fishy /ammonia smell odor which I then took the suppositories for yeast infection. I did go to my doctor but I wont get the results till Jan 5.

I dont have the odor any more and the discharge is gone,. could it be all that it was?

I reason im really concerned is that I had a guy call me and tell me that he is having signs resembling chlamydia. Which I dont understand because we used a condom, maybe he's allergic to latex, cuz acccording to him he hadnt had sex in a year..... which i almost dont believe, but the **** was small I almost believe it.

no other complaints from my other partners..

Help!!!!http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/27961#
This is the first time I have found a site that has someone who is inflicted with my issues. I am 28 years old and for years now I have battled bacterial infections and now all of a sudden yeast infections.

I have, and still do, everything that is suggested: no soaps, cotton undies, no baths, change sweaty clothes, no sex in pool, no using wipes (except for #2), and on and on. Yet here I am just finished my period and I think I have a yeast infection. I am losing my mind.

The only thing I can think of is that it may be my birth control. Can anyone help me?!!!
Yeast infections really blows me! what is it that u can do to really prevent them? n why is it that when gettin a baterial infection cleared a yeast infection comes right after?
Hey,
So I haven't been to the doc for whatever I have but its very irritating. I feel no pain, no smell, no itching..its just mainly pressure and uncomfortable. I've gotten this before and it went away on its own but I really can't take it anymore! Help!! What is it?
if u have a bacterial infection and have unprotected sex, will it pass to the man?? and if so how can u tell if it has passed to him?
I cant believe how many similar stories their are to mine, ive struggled with this for about 6 month! Its been hell, ive gotten about 4 or 5 infections they seem to go away and then, bam there it is again:( I am only 18 years old, have only had one partner, and every time after intercourse it burns sooo much ive literally cried! My boyfriend is very understanding, but yet i hat these infections so much!
I know your post is kinda old, but I wanted to answer in case you're still having this problem. I used to have the same experience... the burning feeling after sex and it hurt so much I wanted to cry. Turns out I am allergic to lubricants (like KY). I stopped using them and I don't feel the pain anymore.