Diflucan - does it work? Or should I use the cream?
Hello --- I'm pretty sure that I  have a yeast infection & am heading to the DR later today... Last time she didn't want me to take Diflucan because she thought the cream was better.. I HATE the cream though, and know some people have had success with the pill...  Anyone have any experience with this?

I am planning on asking her for it - but wanted to get some feedback on people's reaction with this first. I will use the cream if I must, because I want it GONE!!  :)

Thank you very much!
I just got done using diflucan.  It seemed to do the trick.  I feel it worked faster & less messy!  Hope this helps!  I would definately ask your Dr. for it!
Hi:

My doc won't prescribe Diflucan either.  Says it's not nearly as effective...errr!  Gives me the prescription strength 3 day cream.
Hi -- Thanks for the comments -- heading to DR now, will update later
Wow, 30 of them???  About 5 years ago I had an endometrial ablation and they actually run courses of antibiotics thru your uterus during the surgery.  It gave me one heck of yeast infection, as you can imagine (it lasted one and a half years)!

Anyway, the doc gave me four of them and told me to take one each week for four weeks and then said we had to do blood work b/c the Diflucan severely affects the liver.  I got the blood work done and my liver enzymes were way up so he wouldn't let me have them anymore (not the same doctor that I have now that won't even prescribe them btw).

That's pretty scary having been given 30 of them knowing that.  I hope she doesn't take them all without getting blood work, ya know!!
Diflucan is very effective...the reason its only one pill is because it stays in your system for 7 days.  Sometime if its very bad you get prescribed more than one...maybe up to 7.  Recenly I just dispensed 30 of them to one patient....she must of had something BAD!!! It should do the trick though...hope it works for you!
Jen
Yay -- got the pill, just took it -- be gone yeast! Didn't realize it's only 1 pill.

She also said I could take the Monistat 1 day... why not.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it works.
Usually the recommended dosage is 150mg...some are prescribed lower dosages and Ive seen people get several a month for itchy skin, etc.  But the lady that was perscribed #30 of the 150mg her Dr is having her come in for testing regularly....we checked with her before we gave them to her.
My husband was given a whole bottle of diflucan last yr. It wasn't for a genital yeast infection. He had severely itchy skin (arms, legs, tummy). I don't think his Dr. knew what it was, cuz the diflucan did not work. I think he had folliculitis, brought on by several environmental factors and lifelong health problems. The itchiness finally went away after his other health problems were treated.
I took a 200mg Diflucan 4 days ago and still no relief.  Is it to soon to take another?  My Doctor prescribed 3 the last time I went in told me to take one at the on set of the symptoms...  I am tired of this as you all know how uncomfortabe these infections are.. And I would really like to treat without the creams if possible.  Thank you, Melissa
I just found out that I have a yeast infection The doctor prescribe diflucan #3 and to take them every five day and he also prescribe terconazle the cream i hate the cream already im really hoping that the diflucan work.
Mouse74 - if the diflucan isn't working then you either need another antifungal or it's not thrush.  You may want to go to the doctor and get a swab done.

Diflucan normally takes a couple of days to work.  You can now get the tablet and a small tube of cream packaged together as you can use the cream externally and feel better (and often get instant relief) while you are waiting for the tablet to work.
Argh i wish it would go away! ive had 2 tests done (swabs) showing i have indeed got thrush, ive taken canesten both types (tablet/cream and pessary) went to the to docs a few weeks ago and got put on nilstat for 14 days, had to take 6 a day, now im going to try diflucan! Ive tried home rememdies, my doc said to try yogurt or vinegar, both with no improvement. I just want it gone!!
My doctor prescribed me 3, 1 daily for 3 days. However, the package says that you only have to take 1 and you're done. Is it normal to be prescribed more than 1 @ 150mg? Thanks