Discharge from nipples

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Discharge from nipples

Well, about a month ago I noticed that when I squeeze my nipple  I have clear and milky discharge.  I was early for my period last month but it was a normal period.  What would cause this discharge if I am not pregnant?
Squeezing the nipple.
how do you get it to stop?
Here is some of what the Mayo Clinic says about nipple discharge:

"Nipple discharge can happen in one or both nipples. It can be spontaneous — happening on its own at any time — or happen only when you squeeze your nipple or manipulate your breast in some way. Your chances of having unusual nipple discharge increase as you get older and with the number of pregnancies you've had.

Among the many possible causes of nipple discharge are:

Normal functioning (physiological discharge)
Physiological nipple discharge usually occurs in both breasts and happens only when the breast tissue is manipulated in some way, such as by squeezing the nipple to check for discharge. The discharge may be clear, yellow, white or dark green. Stimulation of the nipple actually increases the likelihood of discharge, so it's best to leave your nipples alone and avoid checking them. This type of discharge often resolves on its own.

An inflamed duct (mammary duct ectasia)
Mammary duct ectasia is one of the most common conditions related to abnormal nipple discharge. It causes one or more of the ducts beneath your nipple to become inflamed and clogged with a thick, sticky substance that's green or black. You can relieve some of your symptoms by applying warm compresses to your breast. Taking aspirin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, may help relieve some symptoms. Also, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics to clear up any infection. In some cases, surgery might be necessary to remove the affected duct.

Intraductal papilloma (noncancerous lump)
The classic symptom of an intraductal papilloma is bloody discharge from one nipple.  Nobody knows what causes intraductal papillomas, and there are no known risk factors.  The discharge may be bloody or sticky and usually occurs spontaneously from one duct only, with manipulation of your nipple. You may notice staining or spotting from the discharge on your shirt or the inside of your bra. You may also feel a small lump behind and near the edge of your nipple (areola).  Your doctor may perform an ultrasound on your areola and surrounding area to check for a nodule in a duct. Treatment involves surgical removal of the involved duct and examination of the tissue to rule out cancer.

Milk production even though you're not pregnant or nursing (galactorrhea)
The nipple discharge associated with galactorrhea is usually white or clear, but it could be yellow or green. Fluid may leak from one or both breasts. Galactorrhea occurs because your body is making too much prolactin — the hormone your brain produces to stimulate milk production when you have a baby.  Possible causes include:
* A hormonal imbalance, such as from taking birth control pills
* An underactive thyroid gland
* A tumor (prolactinoma) or other disorder of the pituitary gland
* Chronic breast stimulation, such as from frequent breast self-exams or sexual activity

An injury
A blunt trauma — for instance, the impact of the steering wheel in a car accident or a hard blow to your chest during a sporting activity — can cause nipple discharge in both your breasts. The nipple discharge results from tissue damaged by the blow and may be clear, yellow or bloody. The discharge often occurs spontaneously and involves multiple ducts.

A breast infection (abscess)
Most common in lactating women, a breast abscess can happen when your nipples become irritated or infected from breast-feeding. A break or crack in your skin can allow bacteria to invade your breast tissue, causing an infection. The nipple discharge may contain pus, and the breast can become red, swollen and warm to the touch. Treatment involves surgically draining the abscess, and your doctor also may prescribe antibiotics.

Changes in breast tissue (fibrocystic changes)
Fibrocystic breast changes result in lumpy, tender breasts and can produce a clear, yellow or light green discharge from your nipples. Fibrocystic changes are very common, occurring to varying degrees in about half of all women. Your doctor may run some tests — such as a mammogram or an ultrasound — to make sure the discharge isn't caused by cancer. If the tests show fibrocystic changes as the underlying cause, no further treatment is necessary.

Breast cancer
Nipple discharge is rarely a sign of breast cancer, but it's possible that discharge may indicate cancer is present within a duct (intraductal breast cancer) or outside the duct (invasive breast cancer). See your doctor promptly for evaluation if your discharge is bloody, spontaneous and occurs in only one breast."
I am now 45 and suffered for years with the leaking issue. Particularly around my period. I used to drink out of plastic water bottles containing BPA. Several years ago, my daughter who has hormone issues told me about the estrogen-like effects of BPA . I stopped drinking from the BPA bottles, the breast leaking went away completely. Now, if I only drink one bottle of water from a BPA plastic bottle, my breast get tender and full-feeling and the leaking returns within hours of drinking the water. I avoid it all costs! The FDA is nuts!
Hi im 23 year old I had my period 3 days ago and waz only on for 3days. At for I never lost any blood it waz like a brown dirty colour .then it went to like a light pink colour.also im looseing white thick stuff from my nipple and one of my boobs are really sore.any ideas what could b wrong wiv me
Plz help