Do I have PCOS? Please help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Do I have PCOS? Please help!

Im  16, female. Virgin
I have missed a few periods already this year when i am normally regular,which worried me! but now i masturbate by clit stimulation and orgasm around 4 times before i stop and i have started to abnormally bleed... ALOT. with many many blood clots!
It started last month and its doing it right now, but i think they were my period as they lasted 4 days ( the same amount as my period) they have gone down to lighter bleeding now

So i have been doing my research and came across PCOS
I basically have 90% of the symptoms -
overweight
irregular periods
irregular bleeding
tags on my neck
diabetes in my family
darkness in skin around neck and armpits
weight around stomach/hips
Depression
Anixety

I want to tell my mom but im to scared, so Im thinking of doing it via text while shes in work (sounds lame but im honestly scared)
Im also petrified to go to the doctor as they want to take blood, which includes needles (i'd die) and then an ultrasound, which includes showing my body which i am extrmely embarrased about.
I mean what if it isnt PCOS, what if its cancer (there is not type of cancer in any side of my family but im assuming the worst for some reason:( ) I dont want to go but i need too!

Please please please please help. Im sorry this is so long
Tags: PCOS, cysts, Doctor, Overweight, Anxiety, Irregular sleepperiods, irregular bleeding, Diabetes
Oh, first off, *hugs* - take a deep breath, I have PCOS (I was diagnosed with it when I was 19 or 20) but I don't show many physical symptoms, the only symptoms I have are in blood work and I have primary amenorrhea (I never started a period on my own, I started my period after my OB/Gyn put me on birth control pills to trigger it and regulate my hormones). The odds of cancer for you are extremely low, try not to think of worst case scenario and focus on what is more likely.

It does sound like you have many symptoms of PCOS and seeing your gynecologist is something you should do. About your fears, take a step back mentally. Think of how many women a gynecologist has seen and does see. A lot, and women of all shapes, sizes, weights, 'imperfections', etc., and I guarantee your body is nothing to be ashamed of. Secondly, doctors are not there to look at your body and judge it like society does, they're there to be objective and they won't judge you for what you feel insecure over. With PCOS, insulin resistance is almost always a major problem, hence the weight gain. A doctor can prescribe medication to help the insulin resistance (typically metformin is the first to be tried out).

With your mom, PCOS shouldn't be something you're embarrassed about. It has nothing to do with virginity, if she for some reason thinks it does, educate her with medical information online. (http://womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/polycystic-ovary-syndrome.pdf  -  That's a good quick fact sheet and it also mentions how it can occur in girls as young as 11) and tell her why you believe you have it. I'm unfamiliar with law where you are regarding a minor's right to privacy as far as medical care, I know here in the state I'm in, I would be able to go to Planned Parenthood or apply for the state family planning program (to avoid using parent's insurance and having my visit show up on their EOMB) and make an appointment with basically any OB/Gyn without parental permission or involvement. I don't think your mom would react in such a way you need to look into that, I think your mom would be a huge support to you.

As far as needle and blood draw phobias, I can relate and I used to HATE them, get dizzy, and I've passed out a few times. At this point in life, I think I've had so much blood drawn and been poked so much I don't care. I just don't usually watch. You can always ask that they use a butterfly needle, or if the phlebotomist is not having luck/bad at it, request a different person in the lab do it. I've had techs that I seriously could not tell them how awesome they were at it (like when I had to have a honker needle to run an IV for sedation before a procedure and I didn't feel it) and others that in the ER while already crying and in pain I screamed at and told to get out and get someone else (eep, I always feel bad after). Things you can do to help a blood draw go smoothly are to eat a meal prior to your appointment, be well hydrated (water, not pop or anything), and if your veins are playing hide-n-seek, this sounds dumb but it's saved frustration at times, asking if you can do a few pushups and doing 10-15 or so. Your veins should be making a great appearance after that and a quick poke is really all you'll feel! Look away and think of something comforting. If you have a boyfriend, daydream about an awesome day with him, or a crush, that works, just take your mind off what's going on.

Also, bring some crackers and a juice box with you for after. I always feel a bit woozy after and that fixes it.

The ultrasound is probably the least fun part, actually, but it's not horrible. You are able to wear a gown and they give you a paper "blanket" (hah, some blanket) for modesty or as much modesty as you can have when you're getting an ultrasound, lol. They make it as quick as possible, it's just for visual confirmation of cystic ovaries.

Sorry to have such a long reply. It's nothing to fear, tell your mom, I know she'll be supportive. My sister is a virgin as well and also has PCOS. (We like to call ourselves "The Cyst-y Sisses" and other variations like that, haha, sometimes you just have to laugh). My mom noticed symptoms and my sister's periods stopped so she told my mom and it was off to the gynecologist.

Good luck. Deep breaths, remember to keep things in perspective, and love your body, think of all that it does for you. Look in the mirror and find things you physically like about yourself and do not look and think any negative things about yourself. You are perfect as you are. :)

Feel free to message me anytime for any reason.