Do I need to remove a cyst in my arm?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Do I need to remove a cyst in my arm?

I have (what I have been told) is a cyst in my lower right arm.  I was told it might go away by itself, but it hasn't yet.  It's been several months.  I played volleyball recently and the ball hits right on it.  It didn't change anything, but between stuff like this, carrying groceries, etc., it bothers me.  It can occasionally be slightly...  I wouldn't say painful, but irritating headed toward wanting to be painful.  It's about the size of a dime, sometimes a little bigger, sometimes a little smaller and pretty much a circle, not flat like a dime.    I don't have insurance and was thinking of getting rid of it somehow.  Do I have to call a surgeon?  Can I do this myself somehow?  I saw things on hot compresses, but it's below the surface.  Will it really bring it out?  I did notice over time that it was further below the surface and now there is a bit of a pinkness on the skin above where it is.  Perhaps it is slowly making it's way to the surface.  I'm just not sure.  Can anyone help me with this??  Thanks.  Jamie    
Hello...
I have the same problem and have been told i have a cyst too.
Mines situated on the upper right arm, and as im 16 i found it quite irritating to participate in my weekly games lessons. I used to have to get my mum to write a letter to excuse me.
Like you it isnt painful but feels as if it wants to. One minute its tiny and hardly feelable, the next minute it feels as if its about to take over my arm because its that big, sometimes i get this burning sensation down my arm as if its leaking some fluids, and then 2 days later its small again..
So i got it checked out by the doctor and i was sent for an x-ray to see if anything came up..to my relief it didnt, and the doctor said that it was nothing synester which again was a relief, because as im young the first sign of a lump and your toally freaked lol.
They then transfured me to the hospital and i had an examination and they said they would remove it for me just to ease the irritation.
6:00 am The day due of my operation and i get a phone call saying i cant have it, which to be honest i was glad because i was totally scared about having it done as ive never undergone anasetic before. They never sent me a letter telling me when i was having it done, so my mother rang and they said id have a letter this month, but i havnt...but to be honest, ive left school now, i barely notice its there and im sure i can live with it and i dont get the burning sensation anymore...and hopefull it will go on its own.
I hope this helped relax you a bit and reasured you...i dont worry about it anymore...just if your worried go to your GP and say you want it removed, like i did...:]
Goodluck
x
I've had 2 cysts removed. One on my outer forearm. The other at the base of my middle finger. They were both lipomas which are fatty tumors. I put up with them for several years until they actually started collecting fluid around them from being irrated by movement. There really isn't any harm in having them, only if they get in the way or are very painful. They are much smaller than they feel from the outside. If I didn't have insurance, I would not have had them messed with. I have had a few grow in other places,and sometimes they get sore. But, I'm not having them removed unless they become very painful, which they may not. I hope this may give you a little insight on the cyst. Best wishes to you.
i had an ovarian cyst the siz of a grapefruit they said, it was surgically removed, i was in and out in no time t all, and never felt a thing after sugery, before i had it done, i didnt even know i had it, till i ws at work one day and felt totally flushed, and fainted, work called the ambulance out, they took me from there, was quick painless and over :) so dont be scared to have it removed.
i was told i have a cyst in my right arm at the top aftar years of telling me it was mucsular and 4 injections .now i am waiting to have it removed i am  in a lot of pain .cannot lift or do my job .i just hope i am not waiting long .elaine
I have what seems to be a lipoma or cyst ( the doctor} was uncertain about either - in my lower left arm. It has been there sicnc 2009. I feel slight numbness sometimes on my left arm but recently the bump on my arm is becoming more visible. my doctor's personal opnion is to leave it as it is unless it causes pain. In any case, if it starts to bother me, i will have it removed. hope this helps.

Akmar
I have had several cysts all on my left arm!.. I have found usually they appeared near the time of my eczema flaring up.. but even now after that has calmed down I have had one on my inner arm for months! I havent been to see the doctor yet because I did realise what it is.. I found holding warm water over it every night helps it calm down a bit! I have noticed as well that if it gets knocked in work for example thats when it becomes sore! They are a pain to have but aslong as they aren't harmful!