Do ovaries die?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Do ovaries die?

Unsure whether I am even in the right website, been searching most of the evening, During a routine annual pelvic ultrasound and during the exam the technican seemed to be searching and searching and finally advised that she needed to perform a sonogram - a bit concerned I asked her the problem and she said she was unable to find my right ovary. Don't concern yourself, most likely it died or shrunk - your passed childbearing...

I became a bit concerned as my family history is a not a good one. My Dad's entire family passed  from various forms of cancer and all of first & second generation passed or are currently living with a form of cancer - of which are ovarian and breast cancer.  So you can understand my concern.

Basicly my question is, what does it mean that it died, does that mean I have something floating in my body dead?

Concerned???
poohbear_57
By the time a number of years have gone by and a lot of ovulations have happened, the ovary is emptied out and essentially its work is done, and it does shrink way down.  I'm a later-in-life mama, and when I was having my c-section, the doctor said, "Annie, do you have only one ovary?" and I said, "No," and he said, "Oh, wait, there it is, it's just small."   If it shrinks it is obviously hard for a medical person to see, even when you are wide open and he is looking for it, LOL.  If your ovary had died, you would have felt it as painful and would have gone in to have it addressed -- my sister had ovarian torsion (it twists on its cord) and it was more painful than an acute appendicitis.  Probably your ultrasound person just was having the kind of trouble my doctor did, with the added disadvantage that you weren't cut open for direct viewing at the time.
zouzi commented on Please be aware of th...
1 hr ago
Des_a_rae Tomorrow is my SIS test. P... Comment
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals