Do we need to worry about pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Do we need to worry about pregnancy?

My girlfriend and I had unprotected sex last night and we are pretty confident based on her cycle that she is ovulating (she said she knows she is).  I ejaculated inside of her.  Within 30-45 minutes she took plan b.  We went to bed and 7 hours later we woke up and had sex again and we thought we were safe since she took plan b so I ejaculated inside her again.

She read the labels/warnings on the plan b box today and she said that she's not protected after she takes the pill.

Are we safe from pregnancy given that we had sex again seven hours later?
If there is an 800 number on the box, call it and ask.

Since you had unprotected intercourse close to ovulation and then sex even after taking the pills, chances of pregnancy are there although minimal. Hence to confirm the status of pregnancy, I suggest you to test for pregnancy by a highly sensitive pregnancy test 10 days post ovulation with a sensitive ( 20 - 25 mIU ) pregnancy test. Also then I would suggest you to get your serum HCG levels estimated since this is more specific than urine for pregnancy tests.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

So it has been 9 days since she took Plan B and still does not have her period.  She noticed some breast soreness which she said she always gets before her period, but no spotting or cramps.

We were drinking on Saturday night and had unprotected sex with internal ejaculation.  We are now extremely worried and are arguing about our options.

How long is an egg fertile for?  If she was ovulating 9-10 days ago and she took plan b, chances of pregnancy are minimal (as stated above).  What about the time on Saturday that I ejaculated inside her?  If she was truly ovulating a week prior, is the egg still fertile?

She took a pregnancy test today and it was negative.  How long after actual impregnation will a sensitive test show positive?