Do you always ovulate 14 days before AF?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I use a ovulation microscope and it showed I ovulated as normal this month somewere between my 10 and 13 day of my cylce.  I normally have my period on a 28 day cycle and it is late by 3 days now.  I took a test yesterday morning and it was neg.  But I thought you always had your period 14 days after ovulation?
oh yea, can use as a open fourm!
Women's bodies are organic and variable, not automatic in any way.  Some women ovulate on day 8 of their cycle, some on day 18.  Some months we don't ovulate.  Some women have short luteal cycles and some have long ones.  It ain't clockwork.  Think how much easier ttc would be if it was.  :)
The standard 14-day rule of thumb is not exact.  If you have a 28 day cycle it does not automatically mean that you ovulated on Day 14, and along the same lines if you have a 31 day cycle it does not automatically mean that you ovulated on Day 17.  It can definitely vary.

Since you're three days late for your period, but have gotten a negative hpt, it would be best to wait at least another 2-3 days before taking another test.  It is my understanding that the ovulation scopes on not terribly reliable so maybe you ovulated later that you think and there's just not enough hcg yet.

I hope you get an answer soon!!  Baby dust!!!!!
I thought you could ovulated on any day of your cylce but 14 days past ovulation would be your period.  I have really sore brests which usually happens about a week before my AF so maybe it is just coming very late this time.
According to Taking Charge of your Fertility, you should get your period 14-16 days after you ovulate, unless you have a luteal phase defect, of course.

I hate to say it but those microscope things are no good measure of ovulation. You can actually get ferning at any time of the month depending on how you obtain the saliva..