Does anyone wear a pessary?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Does anyone wear a pessary?

Does anyone wear a pessary?  Do you have problems with yours
What is a pessary? Just curious, I have never heard of one...
No, this is the first time I have heard of it too. But I looked it up on google and understand why it would be needed. Is it very uncomfortable or painful?

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000501/2729ph.html

A pessary is a plastic device that fits into your vagina to help support your uterus (womb), vagina, bladder or rectum.

The pessary is most often used for "prolapse" of the uterus. Prolapse means that your uterus droops or tends to "fall out" because it loses support after you give birth or have pelvic surgery. This problem is usually fixed with surgery, but you can also use a pessary to help keep the uterus in place.

A pessary can help if you have a "cystocele" (when your bladder droops down into your vagina) or if you have a "rectocele" (when your rectum sticks up into the bottom of your vagina).

A pessary can also help many women with stress urinary incontinence (the leaking of urine when you cough, strain or exercise). Pregnant women with incontinence can also use a pessary.
My mother wears one. She had problems with the first one they gave her that was made for her to take out herself and clean. So she got a second one that must be taken out and cleaned by the doctor (I think once a week?) and it is much more comfortable and has worked out much better for her.
Any problems with the pessary should be reported to the doc and it should be cleaned regularly by the doc in office. Usually every 1-3 months.
--J
I have a pessary right now and at the moment I am cramping because it shifted in me yesterday.

There are several different kinds of pessaries ranging from small to large and several shapes. The kind I have is a gehrung pessary--one of the most difficult to insert and remove--and it has caused me nothing but problems from day one. It has scratched my cervix making me bleed, it has turned in odd directions making me cramp up, and the every-other-day cleaning is just a very sore task for me. On top of all those things my sexual life is just about deplete around the times I have the pessary in or I am cramping because it shifted in me a few days before.

I have heard some good things about pessaries, but I am just waiting a bit impatiently for the surgery!
I have a uterine prolapse and I wear a pessary (Gellhorn) since 3 years