Double Uterus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Double Uterus

How can you conceive a baby with a double uterus?
You don't mean a baby with a double uterus, do you?  You mean yourself?  Women can have many uterine shapes:  a heart-shaped uterus, a bicornuate uterus, a septate uterus, two uteruses, and even ones with two uteruses, two cervixes and even two vaginas.  

In the case of a "double uterus," (by which I take it you mean two uteruses), the sperm can enter the cervix as it would for soemone for only a single uterus, and go in and find an egg, all as usual.  The main risk is not that you would fail to conceive, but that if there are two uteruses, you would possibly have a small uterus without enough capacity to hold a baby all the way to term, so the doctors would be most concerned about premature labor.  

Uteruses have a lot of stretch (that is what they are made to do), but because the condition is rare, I haven't ever read if anyone has studied the capacity of one uterus to carry a baby to term in a woman that has two.  As for less unusual uniquely shaped uteruses, such as heart-shaped or bicornuate, the risk the doctors most commonly quote is the same, about whether the uterus has enough room to carry a baby as it grows.  

The conception thing isn't the problem, a sperm will get in if there is a cervix to enter.  The space issue is the thing.  Good luck!
I had heard of different uterine shapes (it's unknown just how much problem they really cause in pregnancy, because they don't know how many women have babies as normal even with heart-shaped or bicornuate uteruses and just never know they have a different shape of uterus), but the one that blew my mind was the having two vaginas, cervixes and uteruses.  What about periods?  How would a man know which one to use when having sex? (LOL) Apparently it happens, though.  My ultrasound tech mentioned that he recently was the first person to tell a 17-year-old that she had two vaginas.  Wow!
Wow, it is strange to hear about someone having two vagina's.
My cousin doesn't have a vagina. That's weird too. She can have some kind of surgery done to make a vagina if she wants to have sex, but she can never become pregnant. Now that's freaky!
Very interesting!!!! I didn't know there were different shaped uteruses, especially two uteruses! :))
My uterus is in a heart shape, and when I had my last laparoscopy my doctor wanted to cut the septum so if I would conceive my uterus would have enough room to carry a baby. I aggree with Annie it may be almost imposible to carry a baby in a half the size uterus.  I think!!!!!!!
I don't think I meant to imply "impossible."  Does your septum go all the way down?  If so, it probably helps if you have it removed.  But I've read that people do carry babies safely in only a half uterus.  How do those women who have twins, triplets or more do it if a half uterus isn't enough room for one?  :)  My doc told me that if I had a septum he would want to remove it just to reduce a risk that, if the blastocyst implanted right on the septum, it might not have a good enough blood supply.  (But he didn't think I had much of anything besides a slight dimple, so didn't bother.)   I know I have read of women carrying one baby in only half of their uterus, though.
I have a double uterus with two complete ovaries in each. I missed a period which has never happened before. I took a home pregnancy test and it came out negative. I have a few pregnancy symptoms like breast sensitivity, frequent urination, nausia, constipation. Is it possible to that I might be pregnant even though the test came out negative? Or is there something else wrong with me?
I have the same thing as you do. A double uterus with 2 compleye ovaries each. But I have not missed a period, instead, my period is super long and it seems like it never stops. I went to my doctor and she suggested that I should be on birth control, and it will help. But so far, it's been a month and my period is still going on. I am going back this weekend to see what's wrong and hopefully I will get some answers. But I do have some pregnacy symptoms too and it's similar to urs ,and the only reason I didn't think I am pregnant is because I am still on my period. If you have any suggestions, let me know too!
Your explination sounds like my first few months after my laparoscopie an I thought it would never end. I was so afraid and I actually thought I was dying. (silly hah) But after the fourth month it became better. Just remember that if you have a double uterus with two complete sets of ovaries it is possible to be pregnant and have your period at the same time. I am going to the gaenacologyst this afternoon for a check up and I will keep you posted with my results. Good luck and I seriously suggest you tell your gp about your pregnancy symptoms. It could also be a result of your hormones being out of control. Let me know what your gp says. How long have your periods been like this?
Hi, I have a uterus didelphys (Double womb) and im really scared i wont be able to concieve (conceive) and if i do i will have complications..

Is there any one else with this problem who has kids or is pregnant.?

And did you have any complications.?
I had just been to a gynaecologist yesterday and found out that I am 5 weeks pregnant. I also have a double whom and feel scared. I have heard so many things about complications and miscarriages and I am afraid I will be one of those cases. The doctor says that if I go for regular check-ups I will be fine and I might even carry the baby full term. In most cases with a double whom there is not allot of space for the baby to develope and they have to do a cesarian on seven months. I was also told that women with double woumb can never have a normal delivery for the canal does not open enough. Surgery is the only option, So far I had no complications of any kind and I intend to keep it this way.
Just wanted to let you know that I too have a didelphys (with two cervexes and vaginias -- although the double set is very small and almost hidden -- no guy has ever known unless I tell them), Anyway, In my case one uterus is smaller than average and one is very tiny. I was told I might be able to carry to term in the larger one, but never in the smaller one.  I did get pregnant -- in the first month of trying -- go figure -- further tests revealed that the baby implanted in the tiny side AND the increased estregen caused previously undetectable fibroids to go crazy large in the big side. Anyway, although I had several unrelated complications, my pregnancy carried to term. They did do a c-section because the baby was breech. Otherwise they would have done a normal delivery. I guess the womb was too small for the little guy to turn around head first.

The didelphys is rare, but most high risk doctors have seen some. Mine even delivered twins from one. He implied that there are probably more out there than people know, because they never have complications.  Depending on your anatomy, you may even be able to deliver vaginally -- as I would have done if he wasn't breech.

I guess my point is, don't panic yet. Everything could go perfectly smoothly. I would call around and try to find a obgyn who has some experience with the didelphys, though.  Also, we just found out last week that we are expecting again -- again on the first month of trying -- keep you chin up.  Things do work out well.
I'm 30 years old and I just found out I have a didelphys.  Although I am not ready to have children now,  I am sad that I will never be able to have children.  But your email gave me hope.  I've printed it and carry it with me.......I read it when I get sad.  Thanks for giving me hope.
I'm glad my posting helped you a little. I remember how sad and pessimistic I felt when I first found out too.  I have frequently read discussion boards, but never posted. I felt compelled to post just to let everyone know that good things do happen and it's not all gloom and doom.

I too had several OBGYNs tell me when I was younger that it would be very unlikely that I would get pregnant and even less likely that I could carry to viability.  My current doctor told me to go ahead and give it a shot. She said she never rules anything out as long as there is a uterus and sperm :-) Life just has a way of happening sometimes. It might also be worth noting that she is NOT an infertility specialist or high-risk dr.  In fact, my pregnancy was not even considered high-risk and handed off until I delevoped diabetes. Isn't that funny.

The hospital where I delivered (c-section) was a teaching hospital, so there was a nice long line of residents trying to sneak a look at the procedure, which made my husband uncomfortable, but otherwise everything ran like a normal c-section.

FYI -- I just had my first ultrasound at 6-weeks for the new pregnancy and this one too implanted in the smaller uterus. At least we know this side is tried and true :-) I go in Wednesday for another and hope to see that little heartbeat.

Take care
i'm very confused. all my life i've been told by my gyno that i have a bicordinate uterus. i just went to see a new gyno since mine had moved away, and after having ultrasound and ct scan i'm now being told i have 2 uterus'....what is the difference? can you have both? i'm in the process of finding a new gyno and have lots of questions..
You just brightened my day 150%, I too will print your post for future encouragment, what a VERY good thing you've done here!!  Thank you!!
I have uterine didelpys. Two complete uterus, two cervix.  Both uterus are half the normal size.I am currently 14 weeks pregnant with a baby in each uterus. This is a rare pregnancy. I have  two other children. My first child was conceived one month after having a HSG (dye test through cervix). My second child was conceived after 16 mo. of trying. Both were carried to 36.6 weeks. Both resulting in a c-section. Both were carried in my left uterus. Now we have to see that I can carry a baby to term in my right uterus. With my first pregnancy I was watched very carefully. I was put on bed rest at 7 1/2 mo. due to preterm labor.  With my second everything went fine. It took close to two years to conceive my twins. I have been able to carry two babies to term and I am on my third pregnancy. Maybe this will give hope to anyone who has been told they could not get pregnant.
Thank you for sharing your story!  Congratulations on your twins.  This is a rare gift from God that we have received.  My partner calls me "Double Trouble".  I too have double everything including a septum that separates my vagina in to two "Canals" I guess that is how you would describe it.  I am 6 weeks and 2 days today and every little precious minute counts to me.  I wish you lots of health and happiness during your pregnancy.  
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AS WELL. I KNOW HOW BLESSED WE ALL ARE FOR EACH DAY WE ARE GIVEN. KEEP ME POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS.
I'm glad i found this site!  I have been told that i also have 2 wombs and 2 cervixs.  I have 1normal size womb and a smaller one.  I have been trying for a baby for 2 months and i am worried i will be preganant in the small womb.  I also had a septum removed a few years ago.  
When I first got married five years ago, I was told that I had a bicornuate uterus and that it would be slightly difficult for me to get pregnant.  I blew that off at the time because I wasn't thinking about having children.  Now, I'm 6 weeks pregnant.  I had my first ultrasound yesterday that revealed that I do NOT have a bicornuate but a duplicated uterus with two cervices.  I have a wall, or septum, that divides my normals size uterus in half.  The baby is implanted in the left horn on an outer wall.  I'm so nervous/excited/scared all rolled into one.  My OBGYN told me that the more complete of a separation the more unlikely to miscarry.  I just pray that everything turns out alright!!!!
My mom found this site for me to look at.  I have been trying to get pregnant for 2 years now and I finally decided it was time to see a doctor.  In 10th grade(I am now 31) I had a septum removed from my vagina...I always had to use 2 tampons when I had my period.  Yes weird.  Then I find out I have 2 cervex and 2 uterus, I do however have the correct # of falopian tubes...It never really concerned me because I thought I never really wanted kids.  Well now I do...of coarse.  I have been through blood tests to see if I ovulate, and I do, and just a few days ago I had a dye test done and an x-ray taken to see if my tubes were blocked.  Nope...they look good..that test totally sucked..it was very painful...wow.. I can't imagine what child birth feels like.  Anyway, I saw what my 2 uterus looked like and I am so scared that if I do get pregnant someday(hopefully) that I won't be able to carry to term...I was starting to think I was a total freak but after reading here I am feeling less alone, and like someone else said it gives me hope.  So thank you and continue to keep posting so I can see how things are going.    Good luck to all of you!!!
I have also have uterus didelphys... with one cervix. I´m 16 weeks pregnant with my third child and everything is going well:) I´m 35 now, had my first child at 20 and then it wasn´t known that I had this "problem". I carried my son 41 weeks and 3 days with no problems whatsoever and had a natural birth. I had found out I had "uterus didelphys" by the time I was trying for my second child. I got pregnant again and had bleeding problems from week 20, the doctors thought the bleeding was from the other uterus, but everything turned out allright and I carried son nr. 2 for 40 weeks and 6 days and had another natural birth:) So everything is possible and I hope I will carry this baby to term as well!! So good luck to everybody, and stay positive:o)
I too have a double uterus and double cervix - i have gone through many of the same things i have read here i had the dye test and x ray - to make sure no blockages, also had the septum removed when i was 18 - now 27 and  ttc my first child. I have been trying for 3 months now with no luck. I have two smaller size uteruses with one ovary on each. They are completely seperated though. The doctor said the more seperate they are the better. Should I stay hopeful for a successful pregnancy? Is there anything I can do to increase my chances? You would think having two uteruses I would get pregnant easier, but so far no such luck.
It's encouraging to hear your stories... I have a double uterus too, with one ovary on each uterus.  Doctors discovered the second uterus when I was about 13.  I had been getting my period irregularly, and it turns out that one uterus did not have a cervix, so everthing just kept building up inside.  They had to create a second cervix, and things have been fine ever since, with the help of the pill to regulate my cycles.  My husband and I are now talking about trying to get pregnant.  My gyne told me to wait until I see a specialist first.. so I have an appointment on the 10th of this month.  I doubt anyone can predict how things will go, but I guess the more info we have the better.  I'm scared and nervous and excited to start trying... I'm just worried about the preterm labor risks, etc.  Plus, I really want to deliver naturally, but it sounds like those chances are slim.  It's great to hear from others with the same condition!
too have a double uterus...and I am happy for all of you that have had more then one pregnancy.  I have carried one full term baby...she’s now going on 4...since having her I have had 4 miscarriages...after going through a few different test...they discovered that I have a heart shaped uterus and also that there is two of them...I really want another baby but am scared that it will only miss carry again.  I am going to an OBGYN on the 23rd to see what they can do to correct it.  I was wondering if anyone knows of anything that can be done...or what type of procedures that can be done to correct it...any comments would be greatly appreciated!!  
Do you know which uterus you carried your daughter in?  Could it be you are getting pregnant in an under developed uterus. Which could be causing the miss carriages?
I am pregnant with a baby in each of my uterus. I am being watched very carefully. I've never had a pregnancy in my right side. I've carried two children in my left. Maybe you've already thought of this theory. Best Wishes.
Congrats!  I just love reading your success stories.
I have a didelphic uterus accompanied by a double cerivx and double vagina.  I also don't ovulate right..Has anyone ever had complete double and ovulation problems and still got pregnant?  audie1976..I totally agree about that test to see if your tubes are open it sucked so bad and they did mine 5 times and only managed to get one side checked.  I would have to go back to get the left side checked again.  That test however, was the last time I went to the doctors.  I'm sick of being a test subject just cause i'm different..I'm beginning to wonder if all the sadness, pain and embarrasment is worth it.
I too have uterus didelphys and i also have ovulation problems, caused by polycystic ovaries. Because of this i had to take clomid to start ovulation,and i got pregnant the first month of taking it. Sadly i  miscarried at 8 weeks,maybe because of where the baby implanted in  the right womb,at the very top where there wasnt much room to grow. Once i recovered from the miscarriage i started clomid again and became pregnant again after 6 months,this time in the left womb. I am now 13 weeks pregnant and thankfully all is going well at the moment,baby looks good on ultrasound and i hope and pray it carries on this way. Never give up hope,anything is possible with the right treatment. Keep trying and good luck!!
I would like to tell my story.
I got married when I was 36 years old, and I wanted to have babies. At the beginning I wasn’t worried because I didn’t thought I would have a problem, but after 6 months I began to see a Gyn Doctor. I went through many tests, procedures and sonars and it was all fine. The apparent problem was that my ovulation is not regular. So the doctor gave me three courses of Clomid and then she gave me fertility injections, then I went in to 3 times IUI, then at last I went on IVF operation. Unfortunately I did not hold the embryos implanted and did not get pregnant. After that I went to another Doctor who advised me to do a dye for the tubes to make sure they are open, then she discovered that there is a blocking in the uterus that she could not see the left side of the uterus, and she suspects that I might have a uterus anomalies. I was very surprised, I never knew that a uterus could be abnormal. Then she showed me a picture of uterus anomalies, and I thought for a little while, and I told her I see that you have made me thought of something, I don’t know but I think I might have two vagina openings. She was surprised and it looked as if she did not believe what I say. And she asked how would you know that, then I told her that I can feel it. Then  she has asked me to make a sonar and I made it and nothing has come out. Then she asked me to make a Hysteroscopy for the uterus, and I made it and still no final conclusion she could reach, then the last thing she asked me to do is the MRI for the uterus. At that time I was beginning to truly believe that  I was having two vaginas, and this implies that I have two cervix and two uterus. I was praying that I am not.
The result came back that I have didelphic uterus, and I was on tears to know this and especially after two years of trying. Since then and I feel so sad and very pessimistic about getting pregnant.
I am now 39 years and will be having an IVF for the second time on Feb, 2008 and I hope I could get pregnant, but I am so scared.
I really got encouraged of reading the stories of all of you who was able to get pregnant and give birth to those precious creatures. And I hope for the others and me to have this lovely chance with no problems.

Thank you all.
i have a double uterus, vagina, and cervix. I want a baby so bad that its all i think about. I feel like im going crazy, im so depressed and I feel so alone. I am only 19 years old, and me and my fiancee have been trying for 5 months now with no success. My doctor told me that there is nothing he can do, that we should just keep trying. My right uterus is "worthless" my doctor told me, becaise it is blocked. But my left side looks fine. Ive had a laproscopy and they told me the same thing. But im poor, so i dont have the money for IVF. Please, can anyone tell me if they know of any pills I could take to help with my fertility?? I'm worried that I only ovulate on my right side (the side where my uterus is blocked) and not on the good left side. Please somebody help.
Don't give up hope sweetie.  There is always and chance and you are still soo young.  I am 20 weeks pregnant today!!  I have a didelphic uterus and I did not discover this until last year and I am 30 years old and have had paps and pelvic exams since I was 16 years old.  

First let me ask you if you are tracking your cycles?  What type of cycle are you on, you need to know if you are a 28, 30, 35 or less cycle in order to determine when you ovulate.  You usually ovulate 14 days after your period and you count the 14 days from the first day of your last period.  Maybe you are missing your ovulation dates.

You my dear are NOT Damaged Goods!!  You were doubly blessed!!

Don't give up hope ladies.  I am 20 weeks pregnant today.  I have worried myself SICK since the time I found out that I am pregnant.  My little one is in my tummy right now as I speak and he/she is just kicking away.  I NEVER thought I would get pregnant because I spent soo many years not getting pregant.  I had one miscarriage about 7 years ago, that was my first pregnancy and many women miscarry their first.  

This pregnancy I knew when I ovulated and I knew that there was a possiblity of gettting pregnant but I never thought it would happen, but it did.  If anyone needs help charting their ovulation let me know and I will help you!
i cycle every 28 for the most part, i take ovulation tests and i ovulate every 11 days from the beginning of my period depending on if it was a 3 day or a 5 day. I've been traching it for 1 year and three months so I can predict my ovulation give or take a couple days for months in advance. and me and my fiancee are regular with intercourse, im just not getting pregnant. I though maybe i only ovulate on my right side... i dunno. i wanna start drugs like clomid or something to help me but i just dont have the money. And my fiancee really wants children. I want to be able to be a wife and mother. thats all I ever wanted to be. I just dont know what else I can be doing and it feels like im just sitting here doing nothing at all.

I want to buy Clomid online, but I'm wary about which site to buy it from. Does anyone know of a good site, one where I'm not going to get scammed and spend a hundred dollars on Sugar Pills? Please help and reply asap. THank you!
I was told 15 years ago that i had a didelphic uterus(two uterus) and two cervixs. At the time they told me that i would never be able to carry a baby. i would get pregnant and always miscarry. In dec. of 06 i miscarried at 12weeks. Just a few months later in April i became pregnant again and now i am 36 weeks pregnant and the baby is perfectly healthy and so far staying in there. I think it all depends on the person but i want to give everyone hope that they can have healthy pregnancies! good luck ladies!
Merry Christmas! Hope we all have luck with the holidays!
Thanks!  and to you too!!
hey ladies, i am 20 years old and when i was 15 my gyn told me  that i had two vaginas and two cervexes you know two of everything female organ wise. but he told me that i would have to have sugery cause if i had sex i would hemmorage and bleed to death. two years later i had to go back but this time i was suppost to be seeing a specialist who knew what he was talking about but he had never seen anyone before like me . how come no one knows anything about this if there are so many women out there who have the same problem?
Thank you very much for giving us hope.

I hope for you that you continue your pregnancy period perfectly and deliver your little precious baby.

Please let us know when you deliver to share this happy moment with you.
Thank you for your support.

I hope that you are now delivered.

Please let us know about you and the baby.
i also have a double uterus with one cervix and one vagina and a fallopian tube in each womb. i have had 2 miscarriages, one at 4 weeks and one at 7 weeks. i am 2 months pregnant today, i have had all the symptoms and no bleeding or spotting so far. im nervous though, very nervous. im trying to relax. all of your stories have been very encouraging. im praying every day everything goes ok.
i just wanted to let everyone know not to give up. I too have the double uterus which i posted back in october and now i am happy no extatic to report that i am 5 weeks pregnant!!! I go to the doctor next week and i have my fingers crossed that everything is fine. I will keep updating. Good luck to you all.
Just wanted to report that when I was in for my yearly PAP, I told my doctor that I have been doing the at home ovulation tests and that this last time I didn't get a positive result..I was checked in Sept. to see if I ovulated, and I did.  Well this time he did another blood test and I didn't ovulate...so I started Clomid the second week of January.  I am trying not to get my hopes up, but atleast it's the next step, then when (if) I conceive, I will worry about carrying it to full term..ya know due to double uterus, cervix etc..  My DR said it could be a tricky pregnany if I ever do get pregnant.  I go back in for a pelvic in a week...they have to check me to make sure the drugs haven't made me develop any kinds of cysts.  Then if that comes back good, he will prescribe another month of Clomid.  Hopefully I won't have to get it filled cuz I will be pregnant..  So I will keep all of you posted in the next few months how things are going.  
My daughter as a didelphic uterus. She has a gorgeous 3 year old. She came at 35 weeks and in 40 minutes. She also had a vaginal septum that the doctor showed me.It looked like a rubberband across her vagina and the baby couldn't come out. He took his scissors and snipped it out of the way. Out came a 5lb. 15 oz. beauty. The baby was born in her left uterus. Her right one is bigger than the left.
Thank you for sharing your story.  I am now 34 and we have been trying for a baby for 2 years.  I was diagnosed with a double uterus after many years of doctors telling me it was either a septum, bicorniate etc.  I finally got to see a very good fertility specialist.  We did 3 IUI's which were unsuccessful and this is now our second IVF attempt.  It is very hard as it is that time in our lives when all our friends are popping out children everywhere.  I feel very isolated and alone and think about getting pregnant every single day.  It is very nice to know that there is someone out there with the same problems.  My pregnancy test is on the 11th February and I have already convinced myself it is negative as I dont feel any different.  
I must say that reading these posts have giving me hope. I am 29 and have just been diagnosed with a double cervix and a double uterius. we are planing on having our family and this news just freked me out. but now reading all your stories and words of encouragement i feel more at ease. thanks to all
I really hope that your results come out positive. Amazingly your case is same as mine, except that you have already been in your second IVF operation and I hope that you get pregnant, while I am still waiting for mine which is postpond to March because of some complications in my ovaries.

My concern is that my age is 39 and I don't want to get in to worrying about how the baby will develop or could he be harmed. And while progressing in age the chances will become fewer for me to get pregnant. I have my hope in God.

All I want to say is that if God the great has created us in a special way. He is very generous to provide pregnancy to us, and bless us with his lovely gift "babies".

Good luck to all.

hey all, i also have a double uterus my left is bigger and my right is the smaller one, i have had 2 miscarriages in my right one at 4 weeks and one at 7 weeks. but i am currently 9 weeks pregnant in my left, everything is going great so far, i had a ultrasound on monday showing the moving baby and heartbeat (first live ultrasound ive seen it was amazing) i am spotting but its a period out of my right uterus, other than that everything is fine. and i can deal with a  very light spotting every month if  it means having a baby. keep the faith ladies. good luck to all
Hi Everyone.  I'm surprised to see this topic is popular and has been going on for some time.  I knew I wasn't alone in having a double uterus but there are quite a bit of us out there I see.  

My name is Kristine and I'm the proud owner of a double uterus.  The first time I was told anything about my uterus I was 19 bicorniate.  It turned out to be a double uterus.

I had a total of 4 pregnancies before this one.  The shortest one was 5 weeks the longest had been about 12 weeks.  This pregnancy has been the longest so far, i'm 37 weeks, full term and ready to have my first baby!

I spotted and cramped in the first 20 weeks off and on and cried almost every day thinking today is the day i'm going to lose this baby.  Holy ****, it was miserable...it was HELL...Hormones were insane, my whole body and mind were in a cluster%$#@ and don't know how my husband put up with me.  I was so sad and angry thinking something was going to go wrong I didn't get to enjoy one second of it until the middle of the second trimester when I convinced myself that I was actually pregnant this time.  It took about 22 weeks for me to accept that I wasn't going to miscarry and that I was going to have a baby...

Now, the baby is in the right side and he's breech.  I know he's on the right side because you can clearly see him sticking out the right side of my stomach...its kinda gross, lol, but you can actually see his head sticking out of my right side sometimes.

I'm scheduled for a C-Section February 27th 2008 and it's still unreal to me.  5th times a charm I guess.

All I can say to you all is every woman is different.  Find a good Dr. that knows what the hell he's doing and has experience with crazy uterus problems like we have.  If you do get pregnant do NOTHING....seriously.  Sit in your recliner, don't lift anything, don't bend over, don't go for long walks, DON"T have sex and most important don't lose hope.  

If you have a double uterus or bicorniate or whatever, you have to understand that you are considered high risk at an ob/gyn.  Find a good doctor.  Your pregnancy will NOT be like anyone else's ever.  You can't do anything that will put ANY knd of stress on your uterus.  

I won't lie...I was completely miserable during this pregnancy....If there was something that could go wrong it did...but I guess I paid my dues because in 11 days i'm finally going to see this baby's face.  I can't wait!!
A double cervix and uterus is called a didelphys uterus.  It is just one variation of Mullerian Anomaly that can present itself.  True didelphys has a good chance for a positive pregnancy outcome.  Some of the risks involved are incompetent cervix, restricted growth of the baby (IUGR), pre-term labor and breech presentation.  If you have any type of mullerian anomaly, monitoring for these risks is essential.  You should know and understand the symptoms of pre-term labor and talk to your Dr about a plan for responding to pre-term labor should it happen.

It is very common for regular ObGyns and Maternal Fetal providers to have limited knowledge of the distinct differences between the different types of anomalies and misdiagnosis is VERY common.  So, if your Dr says that you have a "heart shaped uterus" or can not distinguish between bicornuate, didelphys or septate, PLEASE see a reproductive surgeon or a reproductive endocrinologist for another opinion.  

Septate uterus is the most common variation.  It also has the worst pregnancy outcome.  Septate uterus has a fiberous or vascular wall that extends into the uterus and sometimes all the way through the cervix.  If an embryo implants on the septum, a first trimester miscarriage is very likely because there is insufficient blood flow to sustain the embryo.  If the embryo implants on the uterine wall, a second trimester loss may happen due to the baby running out of room.  Septate uterus is an operable condition but it is frequently misdiagnosed.  The septum can be removed via a laproscopy/hysteroscopy in an outpatient surgery.  It is essential to work with a surgeon who has a lot of experience completing this type of surgery.  It is possible that the septum can cause periods of infertility.  Many women with septate uterus were unable to conceive until after the septum was resected (removed) but there are no clinical studies to prove this.

Bicornuate uterus (so called heart shaped) usually has a good pregnancy outcome unless the uterus also has a septum.  Unicorniate uterus (half a uterus) is similar to didelphys and also can have a good outcome.  These anomalies actually are not that rare but a true didelphys is uncommon.  Unfortunately these conditions have not been adequately studied and it is difficult to find good information.  One good source is a yahoo group for mullerian anomalies.  Google yahoo groups and search for mullerian anomalies.  The group has tons of information and advice and is the best place to go if you have more questions or are uncertain about your diagnosis.

HTH!!
Hi- I was wondering how you were originally diagnosed bicornuate?  I was recently told that I had either a bicornuate or septate after undergoing a transvaginal ultrasoumd- i am going in on the 20th(tomorrow) for an MRI to see if they can see anything further- I haven't been thinking at all that it could be anything other than the bu or su- so your post threw me off some- just wondering.   Thanks for your help!
I was told when I was 19, at 8 weeks pregnant that I had a bu.  After I miscarried a couple weeks later a Hysterosalpingogram was done.  I'm not a medical professional but the best way for me to describe this procedure is a hypodermic needle with a catheter tube on the end filled with dye is inserted into your cervix while your lying on this machine which is looking right into your uterus taking pictures while the dye is being pushed in.  NOW...you should probably google this....  

Not only are there different kinds of uterus' but different levels of severity.  According to the Doctor I saw on Feb 20th I "probably" have a mild case of heart shaped, or two-horned uterus.  My doctor is on vacation this week and he works in the office with him.  He said the reason why he believes the condition is not septate is because I never would have made it to 37+ weeks, that I would have gone into pre-term labor already.  He also said an MRI is the best way to tell what kind of uterus I have.  

I guess its just really hard for them to see exactly what kind of abnormality you have.  One doctor had told me it was a balloon with a pinch in the middle...One doctor told me it was shaped like a heart...One doctor told me it was a double uterus completely split down the middle....now unless i have a magic morphing uterus they were all just winging it.  My hysterosalpingogram was done in like 1996 so I don't remember exactly what the findings were...whether they said for sure what kind of uterus it was.  

What did your doctor tell you after your MRI?

Good day to all of you,

I would like to say that I am going to have my second IVF operation next week, and unfortunatelly I had an asthma 4 days ago, and I still have it even after taking the strongest medicine to cure the asthma. Thanks God for every thing.

I feel much worried becuase I don't know whether I would get better before the operation or not. I sure need you to pray for me.

I am currently having the Gonal - F injections, and hope that every thing go right for the operation.

I wish you all good luck, for those who already are pregnants, and for those who are hoping to get pregnant.

Best regards.
I wish you delivered your baby by now.

Wainting to hear from you.

best luck.
Howdy!
I suspect that I may have an "abnormal" uterus. Yes, I have been to my
gyn...many times...but she is not very communicative.
I have observed that when she does the "internal" ultrasound, she has to withdraw the "machine end" into my cervix area before being able to view the other side of my uterus and/or ovaries.
Then last summer, I was having contraction-like pains and her doctor/partner told me to go to the ER (since he was on call that day). In the ER, he did an "external" ultrasound (and let us watch the screen!)
and saw that there was either a "uterian-sized" fibroid connected at the base (or beginning) of the cervix or it was a second uterus. He figured that it was probably a big fibroid...an left it at that.
When I asked my gyn about her thoughts on the ER ultrasound....I found out her doctor/partner had not even informed her of the ER visit much less the ultrasound (the nurse even looked in my records while I watched- nothing).
I have had 3 missed-pregnancies in the past...no births.
I know when my left ovary ovulates because I FEEL it...but when the right one ovulates...I have a fairly painless period.
Also, my cervix does not have much feeling at all..ever. I have had Pap
Smears done where the doctor was finished before I even knew she had begun....my cervix is the insensitive.
My gyn is, also, a ob surgeon...so I really would like to remain with her...but is there possibly something she is not telling me. I know- everyone says "Just ask her" . I get the feeling that questions are only allowed if it is "short & sweet" and ONLY on the topic at hand.
I am 40 years old and she has made it perfectly clear she believes I am past getting pregnant normally. Other than my age, she does not give a reason.

I think you should change your Doctor if she is not able to give you answers for your queries. You have the right to ask about your condition and whether you have a normal Uterus or not.

Any way, I have known that I have a didelphic uterus when I made the MRI rays. I suggest that you ask the doctor to make them for you, and you will know for sure if you have any problem (hope not).

For your pregnancy, your age might not be a helping factor, so it is better to try the IUI for three times, and if didn't work for you, you may try the IVF operation. It is more effecient and have higher percentage of success.

My best wishes and good luck.
I'm so sorry that I missed your earlier response... You are probably very busy right now being a new Mommy!!! Please let us know if your little man is here and how you are both doing if you have time!

Unfortunately, my MRI proved to be inconclusive... they had a radiologist sit in on the study  to make sure they were getting the correct views and they still messed it up- go figure.  I am scheduled to see a RE this Thursday-3/20... I am hoping that he will have more answers for me- i am getting the feeling that this is going to be a long slow road...

Thanks for your help though!  Good Luck to you and I will be posting more once i know it!

S
I agree with Umaqeel.  You need to be seeing a doctor that is willing to answer EVERY one of your questions.  You shouldn't feel like you can't ask because they don't have the time- I get the feeling that she isn't as great as she makes herself out to be if she cannot be good with her patients.
I would suggest seeing a RE- If you have been able to get pregnant in the past- i don't believe that infertility is an issue- there may be something homonally wrong or you may indeed have an issue with your uterus- if you have something causing the space to be restricted you may never carry a pregnancy to term- nothing like IUI or IVF will help that- you should have more testing done-  
I have the same thing with the painful ovulation on the left and barely anything ever if at all on the right- i have never been led to believe that this is a problem- but i will be seeing my RE on thursday 20th and i will let you know if he says differently...
As for your age- I have a 41 year old Aunt that just had an "oops" baby boy! Time is important though and you should def push for some answers- don't let anyone or anything get in the way of your dreams for children if that is what you want!

Please keep us informed!
-S

Hi!
I have cervix atresia (born without a cervix), endometriosis and a bicorn uterus. My cervix has been opened with operations. We are going to try ivf now in a couple of months.
I just wonder if there is someone with cervix atresia or agenesis who have gotten pregnant?
Thanks for yall's comments!
What is an RE? (Sorry for my ignorance!)
My gyn has done lots of hormone tests...mostly for "suspected" P.C.O.D. and ovanian cancer. Both were proven negative!!! (Thank God!)
I do have a "weak" liver...but am controlling that with diet....and know that all hormones are processed out of the body through the liver. I have many reasons to maintain my liver at its most possible "best".
As for getting pregnant over 40...I know ladies personnally who have purposefully gotten pregnant -and delivered successfully!- after age 40!!!
My husband and I are seriously looking into adopting...(almost have all the paper-work rounded up)...soooo one way or the other, we plan on having children to love!
Thanks, again!

I am 26 years old and my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 3 years. When I was 20 I got pregnant and I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks. I went on the depo birth control shot after. I took that for 2 years. I have been off it for 3 years. I have always had heavy long periods. They have always been irregular. Once I even had it for 19 days.  I went to the ob/gyn last week. They did an ultrasound. The doctor said I had a double uterus. I had never heard of this before. I had utrasounds when I was pregnant before and no one had ever mentioned this. My doctor said that I should be able to get pregnant. I am going to have the hsg test done soon. I really want to have kids. I read that some of ya'll have double cervixs and vaginas too. I have no idea if I have that. My doctor said he would be able to see if I had 2 cervixs with the hsg test.
Hi everyone - wanted to update everyone - i last posted when i had found out i was pregnant and i was 5 weeks waiting to see my doctor. Well i am not almost 4 months pregnant and baby is healthy and I am sooo happy!! Baby is in my left uterus and doctor says he doesn't forsee any complications stemming from uterus being smaller than a normal one. He says a uterus will stretch as much as my baby needs - and when you think about it women carry five or six babies in a normal uterus so why can't i carry my one baby in a half sized one. I go back to see if it is a boy or girl on May 7th! I have had 3 ultrasounds so far though they are monitoring me closely just in case. I have seen my baby move and wave - it is amazing! I also think i felt my baby move for the first time last night. It was like a pulling or a twitch or something no butterflies. Good luck to you all - i will keep you posted.
Congratulations!  It looks like you are in the Home Stretch now.  What a tough ride!  I am now 35w3d and I am going in for my final ultrasound today to see if my little girl has decided to flip head down yet.  She was breech at my 31 week u/s.  If she is still breech they will schedule my C-Section for April 22nd.  They do not want me to go into labor on my own.. so, I will be 38w2d when they perform the c.

You probably DID feel your little on move then!  Congrats on that!  Make sure you write that down in your journal!!

I hope you will come visit over in the Maternal and Child forum,  and pregnancy 34 & under, or 35 and over depending on your age.  =)  Congrats again!!
This is my story.  The most terrifying experince and yet the most rewarding!  When i was 16 i was told there was something wrong with my reproductive system and the doctor did not believe i could have children.  Never did he say anything about an abnormaity nor did he mention "double" anything.

When i was 19 to my surprise i WAS PREGNANT!  I almost misscarried 3 times, BUT i followed all the doctors orders and with a blessing from above i gave birth to a little boy...5 pounds 3 ounces!  AMOST FULL TERM!  2 WEEKS EARLY!

However, the whole time i was pregnant no one mentioned "double" anything.  SO HOW DID I FIND OUT?  After 34 weeks my doctor realized that the baby was not growing anymore.  I also had intensive high blood pressure.   AND i seemed to be gaining 3 pounds and then losing 5!  The doctors kept asking if i was eating, and i was, like a horse, my appetite was enormous!  So they began having me come into the doctors every week to monitor me.  It was two weeks before my due date and i went for my weekly check-up!  My blood pressure was out of control so they sent me to the hospital to have me admitted.  The doctor came in and gave me an internal examination.  When she went to cross her fingers she realized that there was something between her fingers.  Next thing you know i have 4 doctors in my room and none of them have ever seen anything like this. (OKAY now i am scared) They call in more doctors and before you know it i have 12 doctors and no one still knows what is going on.  So far they have determined that my vaginal wall is divided into two parts.  Then i hear a doctor say, "oh no she has two cervixs too!  Does that mean there might be two uteruses and if so where is this kid coming from and how do we prevent the baby from ripping this wall?"  (OKAY CAN YOU SAY SCARRED ******** I ONLY 20 and i didn't even think i could have a child- WOW!)  Oh yea by the way - while they were all taking turns giving me an internal (PET PORJECT) my water broke!  Great now the baby will be coming but there is no doctor who knows whats going on with me.  

ANYWHO! 7 hours later my baby decided he was ready to come!  I went from 3 cen. - 7 cen. in 15 minutes.  So here come the doctors again.  They have books - GREAT!  They kept pushing him back trying to reposition his LARGE head!  They feared he was going to rip the wall and they were not sure if that would cause internal bleeding.  So after hours and yes i said hours of them repositioning my baby he was coming and no one was going to stop HIM!  So they get his head out and guess what...his shoulders ripped the wall...LOL go figure!  Obviously i lived, did not bleed internally.  However, the imbilical (not sure how to spell) cord was wrapped several times around his neck.  He was blue and was terrified!  Michael was born at 6:07am.  He was jaundis (spelling :>) and was in intensive care for one day.  5 pounds, 3 ounces...he was so small but alive and healthy too.  They said the jaundis would go away and it did.  However, the imbilical cord did cause him difficulties in learning at school.  Michael is now 16 (turning 17 this summer).  He plays baseball and he's good at it, he does real good in school!

In addition, 18 months later i gave birth to a baby girl, 5 pounds 11ounces.  Her pregnancy was more difficult, they were to close together.  I was not physically reading for prenancy again.  This time my blood pressure was so bad they put me on bed rest @ three months.  I could not lift more than 5 pounds (HELLO i have a baby and he weighs more than 5 pounds)  I was retaining water at enormous rates.  I was always in pain oh the pain!  I almost misscarried her 4 times.  Between doctors and hospitals they should have just given a room.  BUT we made it.  This time the doctors new what was going on.  When i first went into labor i had one contraction and then another 5 minutes later.  The next one did not occur for 45 minutes, and the next was another 45 minutes, the next 5minutes and this continued.  I was having two seperate sets of contractions.  Talk about not fair!  

In ALL, they tested me.  I have 2 uteruses, 2 cervixes, and my double virgina is now single thanks to my son!  !!!Thank GOD!!!!!  I DO NOT have double tubes.  They told me that if i did - i could get pregnant while being pregnant!  Imangine that!  

Growing up was hard!  Maybe knowing would of changed things!  But i always had two mentations growing up...they lasted for 12 days!  I always had to wear a tampon and a pad and never understood why.  Could not go to school the frist 3 days of my cycle because of the pain.  Even in child birth I cramped in both the front and back.  My cycle is no different.  Having my children have made these diffuclties different.  I now only cycle for 3 - 5 days.  But the cramps are simmilar to my third pregnancy which resulted in a misscarriage.  They really bring me to my knees sometimes.  However, i can go to work the first three days.  Its the mood swings and and the rise in my blood pressure that are the most difficult to deal.  

Okay so i have said too much, fisrt time i have actually shared this story this much in depth in such a long time.  My kids have grown and i have heard of many woman with my "issue" that have never had kids.  I just wanted to let someone know that DON"T GIVE UP!  I had 3 prenancies and gave birth twice.  Its not easy, but what can i say its possible!    

Hi all,

I have had my IVF operation on 26/3/2008 and I stayed 2 weeks at the hospital to get rest, and on 12/4/2008 I made the Pregnancy Test and I found out that I am pregnant. Thanks God.

The Embrios was returned in my right uterus that was larger than the left one. Before I made the Test by 4 days I felt like the period pain on my right uterus and I thought maybe I got pregnant.

I cannot explain my feeling since this is my first pregnancy. I still feel it is not real. Very strange.

My first ultrasound will be taken for me on 1/5/2008 to check the pulse of the baby/ies. Actually the Doctor had returned three embrios and I don't know yet how many babies am I carrying. So far I did not bleed (thanks God).

I am so happy and praying for all of you to have babies too.

Hi My name is Kat and I am 28 years old. My mother had a double uterus and had both my brother and me without too many complications but also had 3 miscarrages. My reason for finding this site is I also have just been diagnosed with a doulbe uterus like my mum after trying to get pregnant for nearly two years. Does any one else out there have this history with their mum? Mum was told that it wouldn't be hereditary but her gyno was wrong! I am set to have a number of tests and stuff next week so I am hopefull that very soon a baby or two will be on the way! Congrates to all those who are pregnant! I am so happy for you.
Hi! You all sound like wonderful, strong women! Its nice to know that other's have similar symptoms as me.

When I was 20, I had gone to a orthopedic doctor because I was having problems with my hips. He thought I might have arthritis in my hips, so he sent me for X-Rays. This led to a series of different tests- more x-rays, an MRI, an ultra-sound and a bone scan. Anyway, (I think it was) my MRI that had shown I had a heart shaped uterus. A few months later, I had a gyno appointment and brought those results to her...she said I had a bi-cornuate uterus and that it was something that would be more important later on when I wanted to conceive.

Well, today actually, I went to her again for my annual check-up...I'm now 24...and she looked alittle confused and thought she felt a septum..or possibly a double cervix. Again, she went over it alittle bit but said its not a big deal until I want to have a baby.

After reading your posts, I'm alittle confused...It sounds like the bi-cornuate doesn't have the double cervix, but the didelphys uterus does....I'm not ready to have a baby, but in a few years, I defiantely want to start...

My question is, does anyone know if the bicornuate can have two cervixes? I would like to know as much as I can now, so is there a type of doctor who specializes in this kind of thing that I should go see? I know it was recommended going to a reproductive surgeon, but are there OBGYN's that specialize? It just doesn't seem like my doctor really knows much about it.

Thanks for the info you have already posted and any addtitional you are able to provide. I appreciate it!

And good luck to all who are trying to get pregnant or are now!
hi
well im 17yrs old and i just found out i have two uterus... i am really scared becuase my doctor told me i cant have kid  worst news i have ever recieved.
so please if anyone had 2 uterus and has had kids please give me advice and tell me how everything worked out
thanx
Hi denise My name is kat. Have you been to see a gynocologist yet? If not do so as there are many may women who have double uteruses and other variants that have had children! I myself wouldn't be here if that had been true as my mum also has a double uterus just like me. You will need to do what I am and go and see a gynocologist and have scans etc done to find out just what type of double uterus you have and how this will affect conception. Don't panic yet!!!!! I am in the same boat as my partner and I have been trying for a baby for a year and a half when I found out through asking myself for a scan that I have a double uterus. I am going to see my gynocologist this week to find out all the ins and outs and how this is affecting my getting pregnant and what it will mean when I am pregnant! Also read back on the other forums about double uterus and you will see that many other women here have had children or are in the process of having them.  Also get on the net and start looking up info! This will make you feel heaps better as you will see that it is not so scary> I did this and just knowing more has helped me stay positive. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Wyldkat.
Hi everyone. It's so strange that I am here posting this. I am 8-weeks and 3 days pregnant and I started bleeding. I immediately went to the hospital where they performed an ultrasound. They told me that I have a double uterus and that they can't tell which uterus was bleeding. They told me that I have to go to my doctor. So I saw my doctor today and they told me that what I have is a phenomena (I think I spelled that right). The baby is in one uterus while the other uterus thinks it's pregnant too!!! The other uterus is hardening as if it is carrying a baby but the doc says that it's carrying a sack of blood that there is no baby in there. She then told me that there should be enough room for the baby to grow but reading online it doesn't seem that way. She couldn't give me a straight answer when I asked her what will happen if my body decides to abort the blood sac, would it affect my baby? She told me that technically it shouldn't. Ladies, I need some reassurance. Someone that went through this same scenario or similar. How was your pregnancy? Was there enough room for the baby to grow? Are the chances of a miscarriage higher for women with a double uterus? What can I do to make sure the pregnancy goes smoothly? PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you in advance.
hey guys i have similar news too share.. i just recently found out i have heart shaped uterus.. i am pregnant with my second child and it took this baby to find out what was wrong with me. i had my daughter at 40 weeks not knowing at all i had a bicornuate uterus, which is a heart-shaped uterus. Everyone who has been told that there is no room for the baby to grow, well i proved that its false information, my daughter was 7'14 and 18 inchs and i delivered her with no complications. Unforunately , this time ( my baby boy) i was 19 weeks and woke up one morning bleeding refusively, i had to call an ambulance , i thought for sure i was not having this baby.. it wasnt till then they scanned me and found a blood clot in my uterus, not only that , my uterus was abnormal.. they diagnosed me with bicornuate uterus, amazing right? .. the only fault is the blood clot is very risky.. i am now 25 weeks and am on bed rest..it sucks but ive noticed a change.. nomore bleeding.. and everyday i feel his movements and i know everything will be okay.. the cause of my blood clot "they think" is from the placenta seperating from the uteran wall.. which has nothing to do with my heart shaped uterus.. its just something that happens.. but they say i will be perfectly find with my feet up and bathroom privledges only.. but i will do whatever it takes so that my daughter can meet her baby brother.. so there is faith to all you mothers who think you cannot carry full term with a heart shaped uterus..it happened to me and it could happened to anyone..best of luck, i mean from the bottom of my heart<3
Hi ImPrego

I hope every thing with you is fine.

Regarding the space of a half uterus to carry a baby to full term, it is very likely that you can hold the baby to term because lots of women did. The normal utesus can be big enough to hold twins so why half of it can't hold one.

For your other problem of your other uterus that is having a sack of blood, you should ask your doctor of what to do, whether it is better to remove that sack. And better than that is to have a consultancy of many doctors in this case to tell you what to do.

Congratulations, my best wishes and good luck.
HI wyldkat here. cant help with having the same situation sorry (I am trying to get pregnant!) but in regards to being able to have enough room to grow you shouldn't have any worries as many women with a double uterus have good sized babies! My brother was born over 8 pound breach but very healthy! (My mum also has a double uterus). I think you really need to see a gynocologist asap just to get everything checked out. Don't rely on your doctor as most have no clue about this condition. A good gyno will give you the low down on what you need to do and how your unique situation will need to be handled through the pregnancy.in regards to miscarragies it all depends on what sort of double uterus you have as the types vary dramatically! read back on other women who have written in this foruum and i think you will be very much reasurred that you should be fine. (just type in double uterus as a search under forum you will get heaps of letters dating back a couple of years with lots of really cool stories.) Good luck and I hope it all goes well for you. I look forward to seeing more postings as to how your pregnancy is progressing!
Luv WyldKat.

P.s Keep smiling and don't panic! We are all here for you if you need to talk.
Hi all,

On Thursday 1/5/2008 I went to take my first Ultrasound to check the baby's pulse.

Well I found out that I am carrying 2 babies, one looks very fine and another who is very tiny but is having pulse.  It was a very joyful moment and I was surpirsed how the baby could be so small but still have a heart beat. Oh my God thank you for every thing, I could not be happier.

I wanted to share this news with you to give hope to all who have a double uterus and think they might not have babies. I am 39 years old and have a double uterus and conceived through IVF, there couldn't be harder case.

I really wish all of you to get pregnant and have this lovely moment. And for those who are already pregnant to complete pregnancy to term and have a healthy delivery.

Goog luck.
Hi Umqueel,
Congratulations!  Thanks for sharing your story - it gives me hope again.  I am doing my 3rd IVF and had two embryo's returned - one in my left and one in my right uterus today!  I hope you are well and everything goes well for you.
Hi Aussie,

I really wish you all good luck.

If you want my advise, let me tell what I did through the 14 days after returning the embryos.

I stayed at the hospital all the 14 days because I know if I am at home I will move and lift and work etc.. So I stayed at the hospital very calmly not worrying about any thing. Not thinking about the pregnancy at all really at all. I thought of my life with my husband, I thought about the good moments with him or with my family mother, brothers and sisters. Thought about my life as a whole, but never put in my mind of what is going to happen to me. I spent the time either sleeping (this is the best), or talking to my husband when he visits me, or talking to room mates. And believe me the time passed without me feeling bored. This is what I want you to do.

If you are staying at home and cannot afford to stay at the hospital, try to occupy the time by doing things that don't need physical action, watch TV, movies (comic ones) and don't feel miserable. Let friends come and visit you if you would like to tell them about your case.

Drink lots of liquids water and fresh juices, it is very good for conceiving. Drink lots of milk, it is very useful for the formation of the fetus.

Wishing you the best.
My daughter is now 10 years old.  When she was born she had two uteruses but there was only one ovary on each.  Basically the two were fused together in the shape of a Y and one ovary hangs on each uterus.  I have just discovered that she is on her 2nd period of the month.  She started her period at age 9 and has a very heavy flow and lots of cramping.  I'm making an appointment with her doc today.

~Houston Mom~
Well our 3rd ivf was not successful.  I am of course very dissapointed and sad but what can I do?
I need to ask a question as we live in a town that only has one IVF clinic.  What day did you do your egg transfer?  I have heard day 5 is the best day and best chance of success.  I am not very happy with my IVF clinic and the way they are doing things and we are now looking at using another clinic in another town.  My current clinic is very nice, but they just treat me like another number and are always very busy.  I feel like i am just another patient to them and not being treated as an individual.  What do you recommend?

Anyway, I hope you are well and I wish you the best of luck.
Hi Aussie,

I am sorry to hear that. I wish you best luck next time.

First thing, I need you to slow down. It is not good for your body to do IVF operations very often. Wait for at least 3 months before you try again to give your body the chance to recover and your hormones to settle.

My clinic is  a governmental unit of IVF and I paid absolutely nothing for my IVF. The doctors and staff are very skilled and they do a specific procedure for every case. I have been observed for at least three months before the operation, they do ultrasounds for the uterus to check if is ready for the operation, if not, they postpone the operation to the next coming month. Then they start with the injections to stimulate ovulation and they make more ultrasounds to check if the ovulation is fine. Then they decide on the best day to do the operation. They take out the eggs for fertilization, and return them back after two or three days according to number of egg cell divisions. In my case they return them only after two days because the divisions was good (4 divisions in a cell). I am not sure if day 5 is ok for returning, the eggs should not be kept outside the womb for too long.

Second thing, if you feel that the clinic you are attending is not good enough, try to find a reputed one around you, and if you have the financial capabilities try elsewhere may be travel abroad to a well known high successful clinics. It is really worth it. Otherwise, seek for a close but good clinic.

In my clinic they have a very technical device that they use to show exactly where to return the eggs in the uterus. I don’t know its name, but if you may ask about it in clinics if they have such a device it would be a good thing and your chances of conceiving would be higher.

All I would like say at the end “never lose hope”. Pray for God a lot and he will not let you down.
I am happy to report that yes, my little man came into this world on February 27th a healthy 8lbs 7ozs.  He was breech because of the bu but everything was fine.  During the c-section the doctor told me my uterus is heart shaped and one side is bigger than the other.  I got pregnant this time on the bigger side which is why I was able to carry full term I suppose.  

This baby was my 5th pregnancy and first child.  It wasn't until I heard him cry that I was sure it was real and I was going to finally have a baby.  He's sitting here next to me right now in his swing taking his morning nap and I still can't believe he's here and healthy...  I never thought my body would cooperate and carry a baby full term.  

I woke up everyday during my pregnancy and had to push the same question out of my head..."will today be the day I lose my baby"...  Its hard but you can't help but think that way.  You have to think positive though.

Good luck ladies.  I wish you all the best of luck.  I feel so lucky and blessed to have my son.  He's my little miracle...my angel and it took almost 12 years from the first miscarriage to have him.  So keep trying and if you do get pregnant keep off your feet!  

-Kristine
Hello everyone,
I was so happy to find this group. I found out when I was 15 I have a uterus didelphesis (Bad spelling) Double uterus, double cervix, and a small vaginal septum. The doctor made it sound like all hope was lost. I will never forget the way that made me feel, my biggest dream was always to have a family. I am now 23 and 14 wks pregnant. As far as i know everything is going great. I am seeing a general specialist in town ( i highly suggest this if insurance allows) I get to see the baby everytime i go, I have heard the heart beat twice. I always wondered how hard it would be to get pregnant. Doctors said it would be more difficult. So i got of the pill thinking maybe in a few years god would give me a little present. Try three months me and my husband were being fairly carefull. I am just so happy. I am sorry for anyone who has had lost or difficulties. I am trying to keep faith and a good additude. I have read so much information and see so many doctors, heard so many success stories I know it is possible. I found out at 5wks i was pregnant that was so scary waiting to get pass 3 months. I will keep putting post out i hope this helps someone. Thank you all for your stories

Congratulations....

I am so happy for you. I call this victory after going in all what you've been through.

How is your baby now, hope he is in a well condition.

I am currently 18 weeks pregnant, and found out that I will be having a baby girl. That is really a fabulous feeling. I was told in my first ultrasound that I am carrying twins, but -maybe fortunately- one of the babies vanised and only an empty sac was found in the second ultrasound. I said maybe fortunately, because the doctor told me that it is better to hold on singlton than having twins in the double uterus cases.

Every thing is going fine, and I hope that I deliver to term.

Wishing you and all best luck.

I'm Celine, and found out I had the double kit in 2001.
I'll soon go and try making a baby. All of your posts gave me hope!
I look forward for that first pregnancy to happen.
Have a nice week end
Celine
My name is Stephanie and I have just been diagnosed with double uterus. I have been researching a lot on it and was wondering if anyone knows if you have a greater chance of having multiples with this? Any good websites for information on this??
Thanks!
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to update you all on my pregnancy. I'm now 21 weeks pregnant and me and the baby are doing fine. I can already feel the baby move and the baby won't stop moving. It's such an incredible feeling. The baby is growing and it pushed my right uterus to the side and is basically starting to take over my whole belly. It was so funny, when the baby belly started to show, the baby bump was only on the left side (because it is in my left uterus). I have photos of it on my website. Basically there is a lot of room for the baby to grow. They have done the NT Scan and everything came back negative. So my baby and I are healthy. So far so good. I'm surprised that my doctor only sees me every 4-weeks considering that double uterus is considered a high risk pregnancy. But she said everything looks fine and there is no need to see me more often.
wow i finally found folks like me, what a relief. last december i had a miscarriage at 8 weeks, it took me a year and a half to get pregnant with that one. thats when the doctor told me i have a double uterus, he wanted to inject dye and look around but i never went back for that. Then we decided to try again and I am now 25 weeks pregnant with a little boy. funny how the first try took a year and a half and this pregnancy i got pregnant literally on the first try lol! I worry all the time about premature labour but other than that I havent had any problems yet. my hips hurt alot and if im on my feet for longer than 20 minutes then my legs hurt really bad and sometimes i feel like i cant breathe thats about the extent of it. Im really surprised i havent miscarried, ive been under alot of stress and alot of personal problems. for whatever reason this baby is meant to be here. sometimes i feel like a freak having a double uterus cause nobody seems to really know much about it, theres not that much information on the internet about it. dont think ill try for more children ive heard too many stories about having a baby in each uterus , wow i dont think i could deal with that and that would so be my luck =)  Ive read through some of the posts on here and c-sections seem to be more common than vaginal births for women with double uteruses, i guess ill probably end up with a c-section also
Hi, My name is Becky, I am 27 and two days ago at my annual exam my OB/GYN looked up at me in the middle of the bimanual part and asked "do you have two vaginas?", I said OMG now that you mention it a couple years ago i was messing around down there (come on ladies we all know what I'm talking about) and i thought i felt some skin in between my vagina but I blew it off as me being paranoid. Well she said she felt two vaginas so she did another speculum exam in my "left vagina" as she called and it and declared that I indeed had two vaginas and two cervixes.  This morning I had an ultrasound to look at my uterus. The U/S tech told me I deffinately had two different endometrial cavities but she could not tell if it was two separte uteri or a septum inbetween them.  So now i am waiting to hear from my OB. She already told me i may need a CT for better/further diagnosis.  Has anyone hear also had a CT done and did  it show more?  I am also worried now about my future reproduction, I want to be a mommy so badly and am so scared it wont happen.  Your postings have lifted my spirits a bit though. I find myself going back and forth between feelings of numbness and ultimate sadness with tears streaming down my face.  It is crazy to me that i have been having pelvic exams for 12 years and noone found this until now.  My boyfriend is being very supportive but it is hard for him to understand my fears when he has never had his heart set on carrying and deliverying his baby.  Does anyone have futher advice or tips when we decide to start trying to conceive?  He has mentioned going off BCP in the next few months in case we have to endure a few miscarriages before a successful pregnancy.  I wanted to have my first child before I turned 30.  Thank you all for sharing your stories...I was starting to feel like a freak...well at least now I know if I am there are others out there just like me :)  
Becky
Wish me luck all...

As you may remember I had my first baby back in February of this year.  Now we're expecting another!!  It was suggested to us that we wait 18 months to have another but...'thy will be done'...  So now we're expecting #2r, they'll be 14 months apart, hopefully.  

I'm spotting and bled a little a week ago (at 6 weeks) and went to the dr. and they can't really tell anything.  I'm still pregnant but the heartbeat won't be seen for a few more weeks so...we have to play the sit and wait game.  I'm not sure if the spotting is because i'm still healing from the last pregnancy or what...the good news is i'm pregnant on the right side again and that half of the uterus is the big side.   I don't care if i carry upside down or sideways, as long as i carry full term....

Good luck to all others and please give a little input if you've had a bu and two pregnancies close together...

Kris
I was in shock to the first time I heard the doctor say, "Double uterus!" Back with my very first pregnancy before I even knew about having a double uterus, I had miscarriage at 11 weeks...Not understanding why I had a miscarriage, I was told because of stress...so they figured because of what was going on in my life at that time. I was also 18 so I brushed it off not thinking too much about it because I was young. When I turned 21 I became pregnant again for a second time, still not a planed pregnancy I have another miscarriage, this time at about 12 weeks...still with not a very good reason why it happened...I had to move on with a second loss. Then at the age of 21 again near the end of that year from the second miscarriage I become pregnant again this one was planed! I go in for an ultrasound that day and the doctor said he was having a hard time seeing the baby, so they did a vaginal ultrasound and right away he noticed I had a double uterus, but he also noticed that the baby was not moving and realized I just had my 3rd miscarriage. Devastated now, but had to look into this double uterus. The doctor sends me to a specialist which he then has me go for an MRI to get a better look at the shape of my uterus. Looking over the MRI he the doctor then tells me I have a complete didelphis uterus with two cervixes meaning my uterus never completely developed in my mother when I was developing as a baby. I was told in this case having a baby may be imposable for me. So I had test ran on me to find out if my uterus could passably be the reason why I miscarried so many times and if I was going to be able to hold a pregnancy to term or close to it. Well during this time they couldn't find any know reasons why I was having miscarriages. After all the testing and genetic screening. I now fell in the 1% tile of women in the world (didelphis uterus with no other know cases leading to miscarriages.) The doctor then told me that doing corrective surgery would long lesson my chances on conceiving again, and they would only remove one, which would be pointless at this time seeing how I could conceive. (A complete didelphis uterus cannot be corrected in which in a way could be opened to make a whole.) At this time I was to go back and see my doctor after I conceived again. Scared but for our 4 time we conceived again. I started to see the same specialist from my first ultrasound at 5weeks 6days. This pregnancy was in my left uterus which was a bit larger then my right side. I was given a cervical suppository called progesterone (strengthens the uterus) at this time. I took it for 3 months. I went into premature labor at 7 month with no other complications before this time. They stopped labor and I carried who is now my 17 month old son to almost term he was born 8 days early on March 12, 2008.Labor was 6hrs long. He was a healthy baby boy and was ready to go home within 24hrs 6lbs 10oz 19 inches long. (I was monitored for miscarriage and growth restriction during my pregnancy. As of today I am now pregnant again for the 5 time I am 7 months in...Expecting due date is November 14, 2008 with another son. I am still seeing a specialist every week monitoring the baby’s development with ultrasound, and this pregnancy is now in the right uterus. I took progesterone again for the first 3 months...and so far the pregnancy is going wonderful. Sometime life deals us not the best of cards but we got to take what we get and make the best out of it. I was lucky to have a health child out or hope and persistence and in hopes to have this one as well to make 2. I have more that I can fill you in on, and can only tell you what I have learned through experience and specialist guidance. If you have any questions and would like some personal answers or help please contact me =) Kris....***@****
wow the amount of miscarriages with a double uterus is astonishing, I only had the one before I got pregnant with the baby Im carrying now, course i got pregnant a couple months after the miscarriage dont know if that has anything to do with it or not. ive never been sent to a specialist, most people i talk to dont even know what it is, including the doctors ive seen. my doctor now wanted to inject dye in there and see the shape but i never went back to get that done and then i got pregnant and my doctor hasnt brought it up again. Im more worried about going into premature labour at this point.
Hey all, i have an update. My OB/GYN called me today after reviewing my U/S with a radiologist. She said that they believe I have a double uterus (UD). I aksed how they can tell with just an ultrasound and be sure it is a double uterus and not a septate uterus. She said they came to that diagnosis because of several factors, first i have a complete vaginal septum (two vaginas) two cervixes (we know they are two because one is tilted back and the other is facing forward as its "supposed to", and the ultra sound images displayed a large measurment of "muscle" between to the two separate endometrial cavities and not a thinner one that coule be a septum, she said she could do a laproscopy to tell me what she sees and of course will give me a referral to a specialist if i need one or decide to get a second opinon....I also have a 3cm cyst on my right ovary, which doesn't surprise me at all but she wants to make sure it goes away on its own so she doesn want me to do another U/S in 3months to look at that and she said we can do further measurments of the uterus at that time again also. So i'm gonna find as much info as I can and try to locate some specialists in my area and then decide after the 2nd ultrasound what I am going to do.  
Hi. I'm a 21 year old student. I haven't had my period since november. I have experimented with hard drugs and been in and out of treatment. It is normal for me to go months without a period. When I do get my period it's only for two days and very light. I have been going to free clinics because I don't have medical insurance, to try to get my period again. I took at home pregnancy tests and all came up negative. I have been taking shots of estrogen to try to boost my hormones to get my period back. No luck. After some tests at the free clinic told me that I have an abnormal uterus and that they are not qualified to treat me. They refered me to a specialist (to abnormal uteruses) at one of the top hospitals in my state. They also helped me get medical assist to pay for it. I went to the specialist yesturday and a bomb was dropped on me. I was told that I have a double uterus with four ovaries. two on each side. and that I was seven months pregnant.  I am underweight and my child is still holding on. It is good that I've been eating healthy to try to boost my period, because it has been giving nutrients to my child. I never had morning sickness and by looking at me you would never guess I'm 27 weeks along. I also OD'd in the second month on Herion and the baby stayed on. I think this just proves that if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. I am just amazed that this child is still here. After my OD however I have been staying healthy and eating right, which is great for the child. I just wish I would have known earlier, because I could have done more. I am a humane person so it troubles me that this whole time I have been endangering a child without knowing it. I am on a strict diet to help this child gain weight and stay health. Everything I eat is being monitered by the help of my mother. I think if I eat everything right this child will have a chance. I am also getting ready for the chance of a premature labor or miscarriage. I had three miscarriages, but all were due to my unhealthy lifestyle and didn't worry doctors. My child is on my right side, which both set of those ovaries are fertil. My left side is smaller and not fertil at all. My doctor is thinking of just removing this side, because it might have complications later. This would be done after the child has left my body. I am really worried about everything. It almost seems too much to handle right now. I have been trying to stay strong with my own personal health trying to kick the drugs for good. Then this happened. I didn't even know what a double uterus was, it sounds like something you would read about in Ripley's believe it or not. Then I was told it was rare and only three percent of women have it. I have been trying to get support from family and friends, but it's hard when no one knows what it is. I don't normally talk about anything with strangers, but I find real comfort in this website. I appreciate all the support that you women have to offer in your posts. It feels great knowing that I am not alone. I am putting this child up for adoption, yet I worried that I would be giving up my only biological child. But after reading all these posts I have hope for the future when I am ready to have kids of my own. It's just that I'm not ready for children. I need to deal with my own personal issues before I am ready to provide the love and support for a child. I'm now optimistic that I will be able to have more children when I'm ready. I wish all you women well.  
After my mother and I found out about my double uterus, it was shocking news. The double uterus is formed during pregnancy. This was especially hard on my mother. She did everything she could to have a perfect pregnancy. Everything she ate was monitered by my grandmother. She didn't have any caffeine or chocolate. She only ate healthy foods and made a chart to make sure she has enough of each. So for her to find out that my abnormal uterus was from the time she was pregnant with me, she took it really hard. She just wanted to give her kids everything and she is blaming herself for my uterus. I am finding it hard to cheer her up and I was wondering if anyone was having some of the same issues and what they did. I know that in time she will learn to forgive herself, but any feedback on what you did would be great.
Hi everyone. I found out I have double uterus, two cervix and vaginas. I found out when I was 19. The crazy thing is most of the people I have been reading about did not find out until after a few trips to the gyno or years into life. I had seen the gyno prior to finding out so I was shocked when I found out. It was scary to go through various tests to find out how many kidneys and ovaries I had. I have the normal amount for both.

When I was hitting puberty and I had to wear pads because I couldn't figure out tampons. It was a relief to find out it was because I needed two tampons not one. I will never forget the day I didn't have to wear pads anymore, but anywho.

I am seeing a regular OB/GYN and I don't know if I should go to a specialist. I feel like I don't really know whats going on. I am 22 and I am a college student and I am not ready to have kids, but I want to find out everything before I do want to and then theres always the chance that I won't be able too. I feel like they are waiting until I get pregnant, but I am soooo freaking scared of having a c-section. Which they have already decided that I can't have a vaginal birth because of the septum. I also wonder how far my septum goes because I do have two seperate uterus my dr said they look far apart. I have an ultrasound picture. I carried that in to show my family they all thought I was pregnant. HA HA, nope just my two uterus.

I can tell a different when having sex in the two vaginas. One is significantly smaller. I was having issues with bleeding and my dr says I shouldn't have sex on the smaller side if I can help it, but sometime I can't tell until it hurts. Does anyone else have issues with bleeding irregularly?? I have been checked and they can't find out why except for having sex on that side, but that just sounds so wierd. Also I have lower pelvic pain that only lasts for 15 minutes to an hour and I always feel like its because of my doubleness.

Congrats to all of the ladies whom been successful with having babies with our condition. It does make me feel more confident for my future.

Finally people who know what its like to have my same issues. I feel like I have some type of support.

I don't think your Mom should feel bad. My Mom thought it was kinda cool. I really don't think there was anything she could have done to cause it or prevent it from happening. We are just special I guess.
I made my first post back in Sept 07, so if you want to check out the beginning of my story please see that.  Anyway,  I started Clomid in Jan 08, and continued for 4 months and finally just grew very impatient.  It had been 2 1/2 years of trying to conceive already.  So my girlfriend said she heard there was a great fertility Dr. about an hour away from my home town.  My husband and I went for a consultation.  We decided to give ourselves a break from all the stress of trying, so we took 2 months off.  The Dr. just said to call when we are ready to start trying again.  So thats what we did.  I had to call on the first day of my period, and set up an internal ultrasound.  Everything is based on your cycle.  So we had that, and then on day 3 of my period I started Clomid again, then on around day 12 I had to go back for another ultrasound, cuz they want to see if there are any mature folicles.  Well I had some good ones in my left uterus(which I think is my small one).  After some discussion with the Dr. we decided we would try artificial insemination...with my husbands sperm of coarse... That night I had to go home and give myself an injection of Ovidrel, and then have sex.  Then 2 days later we had to be to the clinic at 7:30 am with the sperm so they could process it.  At 9:30 I came back and was inseminated. More waiting.  Yikes.  Gets really old waiting every month to see if your period is coming or not.  Then from that day on I had to insert a progesteron suppository into my vagina twice a day to help keep my levels up.  They scheduled me right away that day, to come in to have a blood test to see if I was pregnant on day 28.  I had been having terrible cramps for days so I thougth my period was coming, so needless to say I was not that thrilled to go and have my blood drawn.  Well later that afternoon they called and said I was pregnant.  I was TOTALLY SHOCKED.  I am at the end of my 9th week now.  I have had one ultrsound and everything looks good so far.  I go back for another one in a few weeks.  I don't know if it was a combination of the 2 drugs and perfect timing or what?  I am convinced that because I have 2 cervix that I just needed help getting the sperm to go where it needed to.  So there is hope for all of you.  Its not the cheapest thing to do, especially if you would have to do it many times. So if you can afford it or your insurance will cover some of it I would try and find a Dr. who specialized in fertility.  When I first started fertility treatments I just went and saw my regular OB...he's a great baby doctor, but he just didn't have the knowledge need to get me pregnant.   I have to continue the suppositories until I am 12 weeks along.  So I continue to pray I make it to term and have a healthy happy baby.  And I will continue to pray for all my fellow ladies for good luck also.  Keep praying!!!
Hi all,

I just found this website and am glad I did.  I am a single dad and just found out a few weeks ago my 13 yo daughter has double uterus syndrome and bilateral double nipples.  

Our GP doctor referred her to an GYN specialist for her care.  He's done several MRI's in addition to gynecological exams on her and determined she has two complete sets of genitalia; four ovaries, two uteruses and cervixes, and two vaginas.  All four of her nipples are enervated, have associated areolae, and respond to stimulation.  He says either set of genitalia should be able to bear children, although he says the internal wall between her two vaginas could be a complication with child birth.  He also says all four of her nipples would most likely lactate as well.

He's asked for permission to write a paper about my daughter, but she doesn't want it, so he's respected her/our wishes.  Since she's a minor I have to make those kinds of decisions for her, and I'm supporting her in her need for privacy.

On other issues, I'm not familiar with all the terminology yet, but am trying to be supportive of my daughter.  The biggest problem is that I'm not sure how to do that, being a man and all...  it's difficult enough as it is to talk with her about "the birds and the bees" without also trying to figure out how to talk to her about this.  She's started puberty about two years ago, and has developed quickly.

I don't know how to help her with meeting boys and being intimate.  She's terrified of dating, and I don't know how to help her.  Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks for listening,

Bowser.
I'm not sure, I'll be any helpfull...
I think you could bring your daughter to see a psychologist, a woman one. It would help her for sure, sharing her fears. Even if I don't have a seenable malformation, and that at the age of 14, I didn't know about my uteri, I was scared to date as well!
I accumulated so many fear that even today, at the age of 27, I don't feel well with sex. I think the sooner you work with your fear, the better she has chances to cope with them!
About the paper, I'd not agree with you. A paper would not indicate her name, just her age and situation. A paper would help other doctors to know how to deal with that problem. It may help other girls the same.
When I knew about my problem, the first think I did was looking on the internet to find out every information about it. I was reassured seeing I was not the only one.
Your daughter is not going to become a fair freak. She could become proud to help doctors understanding better. That's what I feel about myself. I'm happy to be special, become I get doctors attention! I might become less happy if I don't manage to make a kid.
Anyway, I hope you don't see anything negative in what I'm writing. English is not may mother tongue so I might be clumsy.
I wish you good luck, and your daughter as well.
Snorkie
Thanks for the feedback.  I think you're right about counseling... don't know why I didn't think of it before...  She really is a very pretty and attractive girl.  I see that she draws looks when we're out shopping or something.  That's really my big worry, rather than the medical issues.  I just don't want to see her growing up with some sort of horrible psychological burden because of how her body turned out.  I want to help her get the help she needs to feel okay with her body and that it doesn't mean she's not beautiful or a normal woman.

Anyway, life goes on.  I guess after losing my wife and raising my daughter alone this isn't so bad in comparison.
At 23 I found out I was pregnant.  It was definetly a shock and not what I thought was in my plans.  How wrong I was!  I had just found out I was pregnant when I had a miscarriage. During the D&C the doctor perforated my uterus and bruised my lower intestines and I was rushed into emergency surgery.  Once out of surgery I was again shocked when the Dr. told me that not only was I still pregnant but I had two uterus each with 2 ovaries and only a right kidney!  It turns out I was pregnant in both uteri and lost the one in the larger more developed uterus but was still pregnant in the smaller more deformed left one.  They are not sure why I lost one, if it was twins, if it was at two seperate times or quite what the timing was.  

Let me tell you I was the talk of the Doctors office and the hospital!  I went to a clinic that was in a hospital that had alot of med students so I think I gave them a crash course in double uteri!  

The pregnency was normal with no complications.  They were concerned that he would be early becuase he was in the smaller utereus and I had alot of extra ultrasounds along the way.  

The only time it got really, really intereasting was when I went into labor.  When I got to the hospital they checked to see how dialated I was and I was dialated to 10 on the empty side!  But where he was was not dialated at all.  They preped me for an emergency c-section but just before they started they checked one last time and he was crowning!  it was a little crazy but he was perfect- 5lb 11oz baby boy and the best thing that ever happened to me! That was 13 years ago.

Over the years I haven't had any complications with the double reproductive organs or the 1 kidney although I must say that now that I don't want any more children I am petrified of getting pregnant.  I was so afraid that one birth control pill wouldn't be enough.  I was on the Nuva Ring for 4 years (which was great!) but becuase of some recent heart issues I can't take any hormones and my OB doesn't think that an IUD would work or they would need to put in two and a tubal is out of the question until my heart condition stabalizes.  So it looks like I am back to a condom.

So there is hope for you that are worried or unsure about getting pregnant and having children.  In fact most of my close friends who know the story think I should rent out one or both of my wombs, that I could have twins in each!  

There is a hope and a future!
i am 22 and discovered when i was 19 that i had a double uterus. i was pregnant at the time and while being examined the doctor turned to me and said "are you aware you have double uteri?" i was not. i lost the baby at 10 weeks. i am to this day still very unsure as to what this condition means for me and my chances of carrying a pregnancy to term. i am making an appointment tomorrow with a ob/gyn in hopes of finally shedding some light on this situation. i am very afraid that i am going to struggle with pregnancy. i don't want to take any chances. one loss was enough for a lifetime. when and if i do become pregnant again im going to be very cautious, closely monitered and avoid as much activity as possible. it may sound like i am going overboard slightly but any woman who has experienced the pain of a miscarriage will understand. wish me luck ladies
and congratulations to you on the birth of you baby! what a true blessing that must have been after such terrilbe news
HI, I also have a double uterus, dont know much about it, the doctor doesnt tell me much, what ive learned has been on the internet (and i have both my kidneys)
but i got pregnant for the first time at 24, i was 8 weeks along when i had a miscarriage, that was in dec. '07 , come feb i got pregnant again, i am now in my 33rd week, the only problems im having is blood pressure and that has nothing to do with a double uterus, and ive had more stress during this pregnancy than i ever thought possible (husband left, lost everything i owned, etc etc...) but i have went through this pregnancy just fine, i even got to skip morning sickness (YAY!) i havent had the problems most people have while pregnant, im just now labeled high risk, i go to a high risk doc tomorrow but its just blood pressure the most they will do is induce me, my doc already told me he wouldnt let me go past my 38th week if i make it that far
so while i know the pain of a miscarriage dont be so paranoid, your next one could work out just fine, if your gonna have a miscarriage your gonna have one, regardless of your level of activity or anythign else, just go with the flow and whatever is going to happen will

a question to everyone, does it seem like people with double uterus's have more boys than girls?
Hi all,

I came to you today with a happy news.

I gave birth to my baby girl "Hiba". It was the19th of October when I had contraction pain all night where I was just starting my eight month (31st week of pregnancy), then the baby's water was broken and my Obgen had no solution but to make a c-section operation for me. Thank God me and the baby are both fine.

My premature baby is still in the incubator until she grows and becomes strong enough to take her home with me.

I wanted to share this news with you, and let you know that you should all have hope, and that you could also be able to get pregnant with double uterus.

all the best.

CONGRATULATION

That's very cheerfull hearing such a story, it gives hope to all of us.
I've been trying to get pregnant for four months but it's still not successfull yet... It will come, even when girls are normal, it takes 6 months in average...
I'm so looking forward to it!
Umaqeel, I wish the best to you and your baby girl.
Enjoy
I too have a double uterus.  I also have two cervixes.  I have been lucky enough to carry two babies almost to full term.  My daughter was five weeks early at 5lbs 12oz and my son was 2.5 weeks early at the same weight.  I had two pretty normal pregnancies, although both babies were delivered by section due to complications with labour.  My doctor said that sometimes it can be easier to conceive with a true double uterus than with other abnormalities such as a heart shaped one and that the risks are very similar to a twin pregnancy(preterm labour, low birth weight).  I was wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with other organ abnormalities such as liver or kidneys that has a double uterus.
me my mother and my grandmother have all been born with two uteruses (uteri?), two cervix, and two vaginas, my grandmother had a sona and a daughter with no problems, my mother had me with no problems other than i was breech, and i am now 14 weeks pregnant, so far no problems although i am very worried, all my doctors keep telling me that i am aat high risk for pre term labor, which doesnt make sense because no dostors ever told my mom that, they all told her that having two uteruses would have no affect on the pregnancy, although i am confident that things will go well because my mother and grandmother had no complications, does anyone know anything extra i can do to prevent pre-term labor?
I just wanted to write in my story because this forum helped give me hope when I found out I was pregnant.  I have two uteruses and two cervixes and polycycstic ovary syndrome.  I was scared for many years after finding out and was told I should go see a fertility specialist and have the baby implanted in the cervix.  I was also told I would probaly have a hard time getting pregnant if I tried.  My husband and I decieded we wanted to wait to see a fertility specialist and try on our own.  We got pregnant after the first month.  My doctor scared us saying I had a very high chance of miscarrying and that I would need a cerclage and probaly would have to be on bedrest at 6 months, she sent me to a high risk doctor.  The high risk doctor calmed my fears a bit and told me we would just have to take it a day at a time.  I ended up having a great pregnany and I am now blessed to have a beautiful baby boy.  He was delivered by c-section at 39 weeks.  The only complication was that he was breech and because of the shape of my uterus the doctor did not think he would turn, and he didn't.  I worked at a job that I have to stand for an hour at a time until I was 38 weeks.  I never had to have a cerclage and my baby was a good size at 8 pounds 4 ounces.

I just wanted to write in because even though it is good to know the down side of things it is so scary being pregnant and not knowing if you will be able to deliver a healthy baby.  Stay positive and try to enjoy your pregnancy and know that although there are many women who have lost their babies with this there are many who have carried to term.  
Just to say hello to everyone and to tell you to not be scared if you have 2 uteruses.

My sister have 2 most beautiful children (5&2) without knowing that she have 2 uteruses before, and she have visited her Doc.'s during the two pregnancies???. She lives in USA.
She found out when she went to gyn. to put her device to not get pregnant in the future (I don't know how you call that, but I hope you will understand me) so they have puttied the device in one uterus and the chances to get pregnant in other one, are small, even if she get prego. again she will not be able to care the fetus, she will have M/C.  .

So good luck to all of U, be healthy, stay positive, pray and Lord will help us all.    
on Aug 22, 2008 I posted a comment on my story...

To finish off my story...Near the end of my pregnacy I was having some back pain, which I had asked my doctor if it were normal. He said yes...then I told him that the baby had stoped moving, he asked me how log it had been and I told him one week. So the check for a heartbeat and the picked up his heart beat andt it was perfect, but they wanted to make sure so they sent me down to the hospital. At the hospital the checked to see if I was dialating and checked babies heartbeat for about an two hours. Everything was good so they sent me home...not even a week later I wake up at 2am just like I had been for the past 3 months. (Note that I am 32 weeks one day pregnant) I get up go to the bathroom and go back to sleep still thinking to myself that I am sick of my back hurting. Well about 3:20am  wake up again...I go out to the living room and lean over the couch because it seams to help my back. When I went to get up I couldn't. About 5 minutes later I go into the bedroom to wake my husband and tell him to get our son out of bed because I need to go to the doctors because I am sick of my back hurting. By 3:40 we reach the hospital my husband told me to get out ogf the car and he will meet me in there....when I got out I paused and told he I couldn't my back hurt. On my way back to the car my water broke and the baby came out half of his body (he was breach.) (This day was October 4th 2008...I was schedualed for a c-section On november 5th 2008 due to the baby being breach.) I had to hold the baby in my hands and not puch because I was outside. They weeled me in and the rest of him came out at 3:45, 5 minutes after we arrived. They took the baby (boy his name was Zane) He cried! We are waiting for baby to be flown to another town where there was a NIC U because he came 6 weeks early.

At this time he could not breath on his own....

He was born 5lbs 13oz and was 19 inches long at 32 weeks 1 day.

They came into our room every 20 minutes to tell us that Zane was doing good...he was pink and his heart was beating fine. He still could not breath on his own. By 7 am that morning they were still trying to give him Oxygen but his baby could not breat on it's own and was having a hard time excepting it. The came into our room at 7am and told us that he was losing color and his heart crashed twice. They didn't think he was going to make it! By 708am......he passed away.

Zane died from Respitory Failure due to prematurity which only 90% babies can over come. Zane was one of the unlucks onse. Today is now  November 19th 2008 a little over a month from the time he was born. I want people to understand that he was born that early because I have a double Uterus...My doctors never thought he would come that soon and if he did to have had the outcome he did. There is so much more to my story and I would like to share it but only if you would like to know....I have been through every test and had ultrasound done every week and saw a specialist the whole time.....myspace.com/knholmgren
My Dear,
I'm so very sorry to hear about your lost. You've been through so much!  I just wanted to offer my support & best wishes to both of you. God BLESS YOU!

Hugs from Lina
I don't know if my story is on this thread or not, I'll have to go back through and read it.  I have a didelphic uterus, with two cervix, and a vaginal septum.  It took many years to get pregnant, but I now have a beautiful 7 month old daughter who I carried to full term.  I had a scheduled c-section because my little booger was breach.. she weighed in at 5lbs12ozs and was a petite 17 inches long.  :)

This is how I found MedHelp... I did a search on Double Uterus and all sorts of exciting info popped up for me.

You all are more than welcome to check out my little miracle in my profile.. she is truly the biggest blessing of my life.  My little doll Ava.
Hey,
So many people with double uteri over here, it seems to be common !!!
happy stories, sad story (knholmgren, I'm sorry for you). It gives me hope that even if it may be risky, it can even be just as normal as if I was normally shapped !!!
I'm still not pregnant yet, still hoping to get pregnant soon, still hoping to be able to deliver without section.
Enjoy the week-end, have a nice xmas time.
I can not believe how many women have posted uteral abnormality stories on this web-site, good and bad. I actually feel lucky after reading all of the posts! I have two fully formed uteruses, cervixes and four fallopian tubes and thought that it was so rare that I would never find anyone else who understood how I felt.. I don't have children yet but I plan to try soon. My doctor has told me that I should have no problems but that they never really know til it happens. I give my best wishes to all those women trying to conceive and congrats to those who have beaten the odds. It gives me comfort to know that there are others.
Cheers
Fully formed is good news! It looks that you could be even luckier than normal !!!
Do you get two vagina as well ?
There was a daddy talking about his teenage girl who was the same as you. Two fully formed uteri and four ovaries. The problem was sha also had four breast whish become is a major problem as every one can see it...
Keep us on news!
I'm still not pregnant yet :( ... I'll let you know if it happens !
I found out 11yrs ago that I had a missing kidney, 2 uterus, one cervix and 2 vaginas. I would have never known any of this if I hadn't become pregnant with my daughter. The only way i could deliver her was by c-section. The uterus that I was carrying her in was to small and she was born 2 months premature and weighed 4lbs 4oz. but she was perfect!
That's nice of you to give us some nice example ! Doctors are not so confident with our problem, nor familiar, so, they can scare us a bit !
It sounds that most of the time, premeture birth is the only trouble ! We just have to seek a great hospital to give birth in !
My periods had always been very painful and I would bleed a lot and the gynecologist would just tell me that it was normal and put me on the pill to straighten it out.  At 17 I became pregnant and when they did the ultrasound they discovered what they thought was either a double uterus or a large tumor.  I was 9 weeks pregnant and they told me they would have to do a laparoscopy to remove whatever it was.  After the procedure, they told me it had been a double uterus and that the fetus was in the left uterus which they said was a fibrous mass and would have ruptured around 20 weeks.  1 year later I was pregnant again and had my daughter at 38 weeks.  I have been trying to get pregnant recently and have had no luck.  I'm starting to think I might not be able to have a baby again.
I meant to add that it's now 7 years later after having my daughter that I am trying with no luck.
I also have been through the heavy periods and cycles that were 'out of whack' and its so good to find this site. I started visiting a Naturopath last year and getting serious about my health and trying to have a baby, Im 37yrs old. My periods became regular for the first time ever without drugs and I felt more mentally stronger. A few months ago I was referred to a Acupuncturist who also gave me chinese herbs and we made an appt to start IVF next month. Well around New Years my period was really light spotting for a day or two and then light spotting for the past month. I was overseas at the time and went to see my doc on Monday when we got back home. He suggested that I might have fibroids and booked me in for a scan the following day. As I sat in the waiting room I thought how weird it would be if I was pregnant at last. After years of heartache I pushed it out of my mind and hope there was nothing to seriously wrong as we were starting IVF in 3weeks. The technician started the scan and guess what, no fibroids but a gestational sac. The moment was absolutely surreal and I'm still coming to terms with it. Got another doc appt this morning and found this site to give some hope to others and find positive feedback. Believe in ourselves and trust in the Lord, have a great day in whatever part of the world you live in.
I am 21 years old i have a 1 year old and a 2 year old. I have a double uterus and cervix. I have been experiencing joint pains, hot flashes, severe mood swings, sadness, weird periods, decreased sex drive,frequent urination,sleeping disturbance, headaches, and I was wondering if anyone has any information on what might be wrong with me? Do you think because of the double female parts could I come across cancer or something like it?
Well the doctors visit didnt go to well, the report said No gestational sac was evident. I went from a huge high to feeling below low. As I had already told the whole world we were expecting I didnt want to talk to anyone (and they were all ringing to congratulate me!)...Anyway fast forward 3wks and I get these cramps and am still bleeding go to the doctor who suggests I am miscarring or ectopic. Confused, hopeful well the doc rings me at wk to tell me that I am definately pregnant and my level is 215 so between 6-8weeks. Honestly sometimes when you least expect it a miracle happens. We are so excited!
I am currently 42-yrs old.  I was born with a double uterus and double cervix.  Also had a vaginal septum seperating the cervixes.  

I had my first son over 22-yrs ago.  Back then, the doctor noted the "vaginal septum" but didn't really bother to explore it any further.  First born was breach, so they took him by C-section.  Saw my medical records for that and it noted that they took out my uterus to look at it, but didn't see any abnormalities at that time and put it back in.  

Years passed.  I saw many different doctors because of moving around.  Each time, I put in the records that I had the "vaginal septum" - all looked at it and noted it in their charts, but none explored it any further until I got my first female OB/GYN.  That's when she found the double cervix!!  She performed "laser ablation of the vaginal septum" so (reportedly) you could see the cervix side-by-side.  She suspected I had a double uterus (uteri) too, but I'd just lost my job and insurance, so we couldn't really explore any further at that point in time.

Many more years passed.  Found a new man in my life.  Got remarried....  We wanted more kids.  He knew of the possibilities as I'd told him about them.  With new insurance, we finally verified the double uterus (uteri).  Couldn't seem to get pregnant tho', so we underwent fertility treatments.  One miscarriage, second live birth (now 6yrs old) in which I spotted blood throughout the whole entire pregnancy and which also resulted in a C-section birth, and then a second miscarriage.  

Ended up with adenomyosis in both uterus (uteri) and had a hysterectomy and had both cervixes removed at that time.  Kept my ovaries (born with only one set of those!) and they're still functioning at this point, so no HRT needed.      
I also have the double uterus with double vagina and cervix.  Just yesterday I came to the hospital after my water broke and contractions began.   I was approx. 20 weeks along.  Well the my baby was born but died immediately as he was too young.  His name is baby Jonathan as he looks so much like his father.  I have known about my double uterus and the possible complications that it causes with pregnancy prior to this pregnancy I had 2 miscarriages very early on...less than 10 weeks.

I have never been a woman who "wanted to be a mom".  It never made a difference if it happened great, if not so be it.  But now I want to be...I feel so guilty about loosing Baby J.  Right after I got pregnant ended up loosing my job, my home and almost my car.  So then I started living out of hotels.  It was hard for me not to be lifting the bags.  Plus I had a part time job on the weekends where I had to lift my client.  So I wish I wasn't so stressed out and didn't do all that lifting.

On top of that I was trying to get some insurance to have prenatal care...it was taking the state forever to help me out.  Then when the water broke, I took a minute to get to the hospital as I was checked into a hotel and had to get my things backed or loose it all the next day...maybe that would have made a difference.  I spoke to the doctor who stated it wouldn't have mattered as my uterus didelphis caused it to happen.  He said it would happen again and I need to see and infertility specialist prior to getting pregnant.

I now know in the future I do want to be a mom, but I feel so guilty regarding Baby J.  I know my wonderful man, Jonathan will be reluctant because of everything I went thru...currently getting a second unit of blood from all the blood loss.  Sitting in my hospital bed typing this...

I just don't know if my guilt will heal, if I will ever forgive myself for Baby J.  In the beginning because of loosing my job and what not I didn't want to have the baby.  But everytime I made an appt. for the procedure, chaos prevented me from going.  Maybe this is my punishment.  Then I have fears that my wonderful man may not want to deal with a woman who has difficulty with pregnancy.  Of course he denied it but I still fear it as I love him so much and I know he loves me also and that is where he doesn't want to see me go thru this again.

After I find a new job and get back on my feet and stable again, I know I want to have a baby but do it right by seeing a specialist and taking care of myself.  My guilt and fears scare me....

The guilt is overwhelming and the pain hurts so much....any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

BabyJonathan's Mommy
I'm so sorry for your loss!!!!  (((((((((HUGS)))))))))

I'm sure it's all that much harder because you had conflicting feelings on the matter.  :(  I have a friend (no double anything) who went through something very similar last year....  

She has one older son, but after her and the ex broke up, she found they were homeless in Las Vegas and she was about to lose her job due to the slowing economy.  The dad is a total deadbeat.  I told her to pack up what precious momentos they could fit in their car, ship the rest FedEx ground or UPS ground, give away or sell all their furnishings (they're replaceable), and move back to where me and my family were living - that she and her son could stay with us.  

On the drive here, she decided to do a pregnancy test in the hotel - found out she was pregnant.  Since things were already going so bad for them, she initially resented the baby.  When she started to accept it, she miscarried.  She was absolutely devestated!!  Feeling guilty....  Thought if she hadn't felt that way, even voiced them, things would've been different.  She mentally beat herself up over it.  

Absolutely broke my heart.  :(    

They stayed with us until she got back on her feet again, but we talk about it and she says that helps her a lot!  I also helped her get furnishings for their duplex they moved into - we went onto sites such as CraigsList and FreeCycle and hit garage sales.  I also had a few odds and ends to give to them....  We talk several times a week and go out to lunch or dinner and a movie once a month.    

As for that doctor that advised you of your situation.  I'm on the fence there....  Absolutely, pregnancy can be a risk for us, but it's also a risk to women who don't have our medical condition too.  Miscarriages happen in a "normal" body as well .  Many of us with our condition manage to get pregnant without a specialist in the picture.  I did my first time around!  Not absolutely positive it helped the second time around (almost 17yrs later!!)....  

Good luck!  (((((((HUGS)))))))
I too have a double uterus and cevix. I started having children at the age of 28. I know have 2 children. The doctor told me when I first got pregnent we would have to take day by day. I was his second patient with a double uterus she had several problems thru her pregnancies but still ended up with a girl.

My first child came 4 weeks early and they had to take him c-section 6lb 5oz. The second was full term and was 7lb.

good luck to anyone else trying to have children.
Just take it day by day
Hi, I have a double uterus with one cervix. I've been on contraception since Jan 2005. My husband and I tried for about a year to fall pregnant - with no luck. Since then we've not been actively trying, but we've not been preventing either. My question is does anyone have any problems with thier preiods? I was told that as periods are from hormones that I should have periods at the same time, and they couldn't come at different times. (from each womb) I now constantly spot, every single day. I don't think I'm ovulating at all. Anyway does anyone else have anything similar?
my fiance is 30 weeks pregnant .. she has a double womb and 2 cervixes .. she is pregnant in the right womb and you can clearly see the baby is only on the right hand side of her belly.. we went for scans and everything seems fine thank god .. the doctor said she can go full term (which i thought was not possible for women with this condition).. at the minute she cant sleep she has very bad heart burn and she feels so tight she thinks the baby is running out of room to grow . but the doctors just say everything is fine there is room  .. should i be worried ??? over the past few days the baby is not as active as he/she has being..but she went to the doc today and the heart beat is strong..am i just being a worrier !!  
I found out that I have a double uterus, double cervix, double vaginas two years ago at age 30 during a normal pap and annual exam. They did a vaginal sonogram to confirm. I have had paps for 12 years none found it and my new doctor found it. I now have a two month old baby girl. It was a surprise pregnancy after being on the pill for 12 years. She was breech in my right uterus so I had a c-section at 39 weeks. No other problems though. 6 lbs 12 oz. Doctor said I could try for a vaginal birth with the next one if the baby is head down. I was surprised at how little pain I was in after this major surgery and how quickly I recovered. Baby and I are doing great!
I just wanted to say that I am 26 years old and just found out today that I am pregnant...again.( this is # 8) I have a bicordinate, (double uterus) and have actually had an operation to correct this. I actually have a 6 1/2 year old daughter, who was my first pregnancy, and years later described as a miracle baby with no medical explanation possible. I have seen over 20 specialist on this though and all of those wondering if it is possible to carry a full term healthy pregnancy, the answer is yes. I had my first miscarriage in oklahoma 2 1/2 years after my daughter was born. They just told me it was normal. I had my next one in texas, so nothin done there either, then my 3rd in oklahoma, still no answers. I had my 4th misscarriage in texas again, and the attending physician was interested, for my sake i think, so my husband and i went to the texas tech specialist and started a work up. we planned our next pregnancy after many compatability tests and blood tests and everything was the way it should be, 14 weeks, i miscarried again. they sent the fetus off for observation and tests the whole 9 yards and it showed nothin. So my ob-gyn, who was excellant by the way, started more research, doing more tests, eventually to find that i had the bicordinate uterus, with a very large septate. So, i actually had a bicordinate and a septated uterus. So, we operated and 4 1/2 hours later i finally hit the recovery room. He wanted us to get pregnant again after 6 weeks but with in 3 months, well in april (3 months later) i was pregnant again and in july i lost it again. that was in 2007 and now for the first time since i am pregnant AGAIN. They wanted to do a hysterectomy bout 1 1/2 years ago, but i wouldn't let them. So, if anyone has had or knows someone who has had a surgery to fix a problem like this (a septate removed) let me know, it'd really help my thoughts.  But for all those of you who have this problem it really is possible to carry, i did it once!! Also, i had a doctor tell me that it is very common to carry a baby with a double uterus to full term. It is the septated uterus that carries more problems, although surgery is an option to fix, or atleast attempt to fix the problem.
Hi everyone,
Im so glad I found this website coz I'm really worried.I'm 18 and i've just been told about some major health issues. I've been transfered between docs because no-one knows how to deal with it. I have 2 uterus's (uterui?), 2 cervix's, 2 vagina's and 1 kidney. Externally, everything is fine. internally, everything is a bit weird. internally there are 2 vaginal canals. 1 is blocked however so the uterus and fallopian tube on my left side is filling with fluid (presumably blood from periods that cant escape).
I'm wondering if there's anyone here with this problem and what the docts did about it? Ive had 2 external ultasounds, 2 internal ultrasounds, 2 CT scans and numerous blood and urine samples. It doesnt feel like im getting anywhere and I'm scared to tell me boyfriend in case he feels like its too weird or doesnt love me anymore. I mean, seriously, who wants to sleep with someone with 2 vaginas??? He's really understanding and knows about my 2 uterus's and cervix's but i dont know about the vaginas.
Also, how is this going to effect my pregnancies if i was to concieve (conceive) in the forst place? I feel so damaged, like i dont deserve for people to be so unerstanding.
Thank you all so much.
Hi everyone! Well first of all let me start by saying that I'm very glad I found this site! I am a member in the yahoo group of mullerian anamolies which by the way is also a great source but I'm glad I found somewhere where I can communicate with women who have exactly what I have.  
I found not so long ago that I have two cervixes and two vaginas after commenting to my doctor that I had been trying to get pregnant but had no luck.  She(general doctor) said that she couldn't refer me to fertility until I had tried for 1yr and just did a pap.  while i was getting the pap smear done she asked 'are you bi-uteral'? I felt my heart drop but I wasn't that surprised because when I was 18 and had a pap smear a doctor hasaid the same thing but then sent me to get an ultra sound and they found everything "normal" the radiologist even said "she must be crazy, i don't understand why she referred you there is no line (septation) and the uterus is a normal size" I was angry with that doctor and totally disregarded the possibility.  therefor when a second doctor asked the same thing i knew it was true.  I had always felt different, I had trouble wearing tampons and just had a gut feeling i was different.  My general doctor referred me to a specialist and she found the same thing and she was shocked to know that no other doctor had detected it during a pap smear.  my gyno then scheduled me for an MRI which i will have on Oct. 5.  I felt horrible because when I went to see my gyno I was excited, somehow I felt pregnant and my period was more than a week late which was rare but a preg. test came negative.  I was very sad and confused because I had mild cramping but still no period plus my breast felt tender which is normal because i PMS about two or one week before but this time it didn't go away and three days later after the negative preg test I took a home test and it was positive.  I verified with a doctors test and i was about 6 weeks but later that week (sep.18) i miscarried.
I am eager to try again but i don't know if it's safe for me.  I still don't know exactly how my uterus is shaped because i still haven't had the MRI so my husband and i are thinking about waiting until my gyno who doesn't even know i was pregnant reads the MRI and tells me what my next step should be.
I now know I can get pregnant but I am afraid of not being able to carry a baby to full term and going through another m/c, even though i know that may be a possibility.
I to have a double uterus which was found during a c-section.  I have had one miscarriage since then but no more pregnancies since.  My doctor told me that he didn't know how I got pregnent and carried her to term. One of my tubes are deformed and blocked. But now I am 30 and I think that I am in perimenopause due to only using one ovary for 20 years so that will be fun.  
does anyone know? ...In the case of a 'uterine didelphys', are the two uterus' in sync with each other during pregnancy? What are the chances of falling pregnant in the second uterus, and if it is possible, how? Does uterus 1 still menstrate if your pregnant in uterus 2?  If so, how does menstration of uterus 1 and the pregnancy hormones of uterus 2 coincide?
I'm so glad I found this site.  I'm 34 and my gynecologist just discovered that I have 2 uteruses, 2 cervices and 2 vaginal openings.  Not sure about the kidney count yet -- I have a test scheduled for next week.  It's amazing that no other gyn has noticed the two vaginal openings before (or me, or my husband, or anyone else, for that matter).  I have a normal period, and the only indication I've ever had of something odd down there was that I could never wear a tampon -- I would seemingly just bleed right through it.  So now that's explained...  

One of my sets of equipment is much smaller than the other, with the result that I've only been "using" one of my vaginal openings during sex.  I'm apparently a virgin on the other side, which is refreshing.  My husband and I have never been gung-ho on the whole kids thing, and now this piece of news makes us even more hesitant.  My doctor said that he's treated 4 pregnant patients with double uteruses, and 3 of them gave birth to viable babies.  Not that that's a scientific poll.  He also said that he'd estimate the chances of "pre-term labor" (which encompasses everything from crazy-early miscarriage, which is obviously bad, to slightly-early delivery, which can be just fine) at 40%.  But, as you can see, that statistic isn't very helpful.  (Incidentally, the chances for the general population are 10%.)

Anyway, I'm a little freaked out about the kid thing (thinking, at 34, that if we want to have kids we'd better start soon in case I keep miscarrying, etc.), but maybe even more freaked out about the WTF factor.  (For example, evidently the spell-check built into this program doesn't recognize the word "uteruses".)  But I'm getting over it, and this forum definitely helped.  Now I'm starting to feel more like a hindu goddess.  Right, ladies?
Hi!

I recently found out that I have 2 cervixes that is connected to one uterus. I am a bit confused and need advise, even though my sister is a qualified nurse she can't help me to give me some kind of advise..

I want to know if its possible to remove one and how safe it is? Since I am only 19 years old it is troubling me, because I do not know if I can get pregnant and I really want children one day.. If there is someone out there that is able to give me advise please do...
ive just found out ive got a double womb ,ive got 2 kids the doctors told me im very lucky to have my kids cause most people miscarry ,they are now talking about having my lining stripped because of my long and prolonged bleeding ,so im proff to say u can have children .with a double womb .
I WAS TOLD THAT I HAVE TWO UTERUS AND HAVE TWO KIDS AND BOTH WERE CARRIED TO TERM BUT I HAVE HAD MY TUBES TIED FOR ALMOST 4YEARS NOW AND THINK IM PREGNANT AGAIN CUZ I DONT KNOW IF I CAN HAVE KIDS STILL IN THE OTHER UTERUS SO I WILL BE GOING TO THE DOCTORS TO FIND OUT  
Hello everyone! I do not feel so alone now. Let me share my story with you all.

I am 37 years old and on July 8th I had taken a pregnancy test and after picking myself up off the floor from having seen the "t" sign I was elated because after years of trying I was finally pregnant. On July 10th I started spotting and I went to the ER and they did another pregnancy test and confirmed I was still pregnant. I had a beta hcg test done to test the hormone level in my system and it had went up. I stopped bleeding for a few days and I just thought that the bleeding was from a UTI I had been diagnosed with at the ER but then I realized something was up. I made an appt with a dr and I went to see her and she did another beta hcg test and it showed that I was about 5 to 6 weeks so she ordered another one the following week and then she called and told me the numbers had went up but not high enough and that I was going to miscarry the baby. Needless to say I was put in a state of shock that eventually led to being very hurt. She told me to come in again for an Ultrasound the following Monday to see if there was anything growing in my uterus and low and behold the ultrasound tech fount a double uterus. She was all excited and I was in a state of shock and scared out of my mind. I had never even heard of a double uterus until that day and I felt kind of like a freak in a side show but now seeing that I am not alone makes me feel so much better and knowing that I can get pregnant makes me feel a whole lot better too.

I hope all of us who are wanting children so badly can concieve (conceive) and have strong healthy pregnancies that last until the due dates.
I am wondering with my double uterus' if I will even know if I'm pregnant. My doctor has me on BC to control the flow of them and keep them in sync but what happens if it's not enough hormones? And if mine can be out of sync, how would my body know it's pregnant? Since some women can concieve (conceive) at different times, I assume this is possible. So unless I continuously watch for signs,  I could harm a baby if I concieve (conceive) in one and dont know it. Any help on this?
My bicornuate uterus was diagnosed in the surgery room when I was having a c-section with my daughter 12 years ago!  She had never turned to be head down towards the end of my pregnancy, so she was breech and delivered by c-section.  I heard the doctor say "Oh!  So that's why she never turned!"

For my 2nd pregnancy, I was monitored closely (not "high-risk", but higher than a normal pregnancy) to make sure my son was growing normally.  He was and was born by c-section as well.

The only "problems" I experienced with my bicornuate uterus is that it took me a LONG time to get pregnant.  4 years with my daughter and 3 with my son.  During the pregnancies, I started having intense Braxton-Hicks contractions really early on.  Both kids grew in the right horn of my bicornuate uterus.  Strangely, that's always the side I have the worst menstrual cramps in.

I've never seen a picture of my bicornuate uterus, but I've had various ultrasounds for other abdominal issues and the tech always does a double take at my uterus!  :)

I am currently 18 weeks pregnant with twins and have a didephic uterus with one baby on each side.  I have two children who are 7 and 4 and carried them both on the right side.  I am very hopefull after reading your stories and encouraged by your words.  I've been on bed rest since 14 weeks for cramping and mild contractions, just hoping to make it as long as possible!!!!

hi, im 19 an i have been having pregnancy symptoms for about 8 months now but when ever i had a pregnany test done they were negative. I know alot of girls my age who too are indeed pregnant and we share the same symptoms. But mysteriously i had an ultursound done today an there was nothing thus lead me to beleive that maybe i have two uterouses. I have been having contractions as well as fetal movement and i was at the emergency room when the nurse and i both heard a fetal heartbeat...???does anyone have any answers for me????
hi,

im 23-year-old.
im having double uterus, two cervix, and septate vagina (the septum had been removed 0n 2007 when i found out my case)

i was married on dec'09.. and conceived on march'10.
i didnt expected that it could be that fast.. as i read soo many stories and kept thinking that it would be hard for me to fall pregnant.

in fact, miracle does happen.
i'm now 30weeks pregnant... thankfully haven't had any issue during my pregnancy. for now i am just hoping that i can give normal vaginal birth. hopefully i can make it..

am hoping the best for all of you who are expecting / are trying to conceive.. just believe that you can...

I have two every thing 2 cervix and 2 wombs a double uterus etc
i found out about having 2 cevrix and  double wombs and 2 opening of vagin
back in 1984 .
since then i have had lot double smear with any promblem
until now
when one of smears need too be repeated
One of wombs is only small then other .is big
I Could carry all babies in small womb .
only in the big womb
that i had miscarrage (miscarriage) in small twice ,
I, too, have a didelphic uterus with one cervix. (I happen to only have one ovary to each uterus.) It took me 2 years to conceive my first child. I am currently pregnant with my fourth. (Babies 2 through 4 didn't take as much time to conceive.) I've carried them to 35 weeks, 37 weeks, and 36 weeks. All of them have been in my left uterus. I have had an issue with them wanting to be breech, but early ECV has helped with that problem. (Later on, there is not enough room to turn the baby.) I'm also a VBAC mom.
Two uteri don't necessarily mean infertility. The main issues with my pregnancies have been breech babies and slightly early babies. Both of which are issues easy to deal with.
I am curious about the possibility of missing a twin in a didelphic uterus. This pregnancy I am measuring ahead. (At 20 weeks, measuring 26 weeks.) I have had ultrasounds, but they haven't been able to visualize the other uterus in this pregnancy, which concerns me a bit. The baby is not measuring too far ahead on ultrasound. He is measuring around 22 weeks at 20 weeks, which is within the normal range.
I went to this forum monthes ago. I, too, have didephic uterus. We have been trying to conceive for 2 years and 7 monthes... which is unbearably long. In the last 3 monthes, my sister and my sister in law, both of them, a lot younger that I am, got pregnant... I became jalous and desperate with my poor condition, fighting against depression day after day...
I'll have inseminations in the coming monthes, but, dont manage to put faith on it.
That's so sad, and so unfair.
I have a uterus that is shaped like a heart. My OBGYN has deliver babies since 1983. He had never delivered a baby in this situation so he had another doctor (she had only delivered 2 in her 35 yrs) to assist him. I was 4 days overdue. I ask for a c-section. My son is 9 now with no complications. I have done research and even found a group that have "double uterus". In other countries,I have found women who have heart shapes, two small ones(a thin layer separating), and other wonders. We each had to get a c-section, most of us dilate but didnt contract, and water did not break. Some of them had miscarriages before having a successful delivery.
I have a dydelphic uterus with the double cervix and septum....I am almost 38 weeks pregnant with my second baby. I delivered a very healthy baby girl at 37 weeks 3 years ago and past that point this time. There is nothing to worry about the uterus can stretch and you can have a healthy full term baby....you are also more likely to be VERY fertile. I did have a c-section with her because she was breech and having another one although this baby has turned more than once.
Hey,  i have 2 Uteruses... and I have 2 children... I did have complications, an dhave to be on bed rest the whole time. I had a regular dr and a specialists. with both of them they kept me and the baby safe.  You will more than likely go into early labor(like i did) b/c your baby doesn't have alot of room to grow but they can't stop the early pregnancy. I suggest when you do become prego( and i hope you do b/c being a mommy is the best gift ever!!- wheither you actually give birth or adopt, its priceless)to just take it EASY, don;t over do yourself, like picking up stuff... etc. GOOD LUCK and I hope i helped
wow.. i've read most comments and i feel encoureaged.. i have double wombs.. 2 cervix ( one was cut because of external pregreancy in the cervix) one vagina amd a septum.. i've been pregnant but misscarried 4 times... i was hopless till i read the comments.. wow.. but i have a quesetio that affects my treatment ( IVF and IUI) .. do i have double periods? or does is alter from one womb to another? do i have a period from one in a month and another period from the other womb the next month? do  they always alter ie. does one always has period and other not?
thanx!
Hi girls
Glad to hear from you all as ive only  recently foudn out some news i guess its a comfort to know that there is people like me out there and slightly different in ways also
My story all started a month ago when i was getting pain on my right side-doctor got worried thinking it was my appendix so he sent me for an ultra sound
One minute into my ultrasound the tech guy says he needs to do an internal( im 23 and thinking what on earth whyy) He then goes on to tell me that i have a double uterus as well as polycystic ovaries
I go back to my doctor completely freaked out and scared. He refers me to a specialist to check it out as well as kidney scans
Iwent for my kidney scans and was found out that my right side(same side as my pain) right side kidney has an obstruction.
Specialist said that i have polycycstic looking ovaries but not the syndrome( no extra hair and weight gain etc). My periods are painful due to it so hes told me to come back if they continue to get worse. The double uterus needs to be monitored if i fall pregnant. Mine seem to be normal size and i only have one cervix*which is extra large apparently) and one vagina.
So i have two uterus that lead to one cervix and 1 vagina and 1 fallopian tube and ovary for each side. Meaning most likely trouble falling pregnant.
I still have to get my kidneys checked out more.
Its been such a confusing and scary time finding so much out just because of a pain that is now thought to be a blessing in disguise otherwise i wouldnt know what i know now :)
kylie
Yes it is possible bc i had the same thing and it turned out i was pregnant
It isn't impossible to get pregnant with a double uterus it sometimes takes some help but plenty of women have babies with this condition sometimes more then one at a time
I am 47 years old. I have 2 vaginas, 2 cervix, 2 uterus.  I gave birth through the canal but gave birth at 33 weeks; she was a premie.  Water broke and they tried to delay the birth.  The baby tore the septum that separates the 2 vaginas.  Dr. had to do a 2 hour surgery afterwards to fix it.  I now have 1 vagina but still 2 uterus.  I was in labor for a week before delivery.  When I had 2 vaginas, yes I could say I was a virgin twice.  But one side always felt different than the other.
Hi, just adding to what all of you have shared
I have a double uterus, double cervix, and a vagina separated by a septum.
I have lost 6 pregnancies (before the 2 month period ) but have been blessed with three children that today are, 15, 6 and 3 years old!
I would have kept on going for more, but these pregnancies are high risk after the first c section, and have had 3!
I'm 40 years old today and had to make the sad decision of closing the factory with my last child, cause of the risk it can cause, but am very happy to raise these 3 beautiful children God has graciously given us.
For He is the giver of life.
A double vagina isn't as weird as you think.

Hi people,
I have two uterus and two set of ovaries. I've only just found out. The good news is I also have 3 children. Carried all three to full term with normal viaginal delivery. My gyny is absolutely stunned as apparently babies are born prematurely or miscarriages occur however as I didn't even know I had this it didn't worry me at all. Conception was simple (in fact in two cases it was an accident and some joked I was TOO fertile) but all kiddies are doing well. 11, 7 and 14 months!
Hi I just wanted to tell you that my sister has a double uterus and has given birth to 4 childeren and she gave birth to her last child at 42years old. God is good and keep the faith!

Sincerely,

Julia
UPDATE: I have since had another healthy girl in May 2011 and a baby boy Nov 2013 stillborn at 38.5 weeks. They could not find a reason for my son to be stillborn. I had no complications before then.