Embarrassed!!! Bad Odor From Rectum - Normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I have a really embarrasing situation, I need some help! I feel like I'm the only facing this, but I have this really bad odor that seems to be coming from my rectum area. I'm 23 years old with 2 children - a 3 1/2 year old and a 18 month old. I don't know if my past pregnancy's have anything to do with it but it seems like this odor came after having my children. I've had BV's and UTI's in the past and I know how those smells are. I've also had those awful hemorroids (hemorrhoids) after my 2nd pregnancy. But at those time, no unusual smells for me.At first I thought the odor was coming from the vagina, but it wasnt it. I don't know what's going on with my body, but it's just an awful smell that won't go away. It smells like rotten fish or something rotten something. It's not a pleasant smell and it can get very powerful too. My sex life...I'm just too embarrassed that I don't really want to have intercourse with my husband. My husband gets frustrated at times because the smell is just too much. No matter how many times I wash down there, it just doesn't seem to want to go away. My doctors don't see anything unusual, they ran tests and everything. Everything is always negative. Nothing abnormal. What's wrong with me?
Are you having pain in that area? My mom had infected hemorrhoids, they were internal, and she complained of similar smells.
nope, no pain or anything what so ever. so that's why it's hard to figure out what's going on with me. everything seems perfectly fine besides the odor.
I'm back, again.  I did find that info at www.insideedition.com. Click on the archive videos at the top. Then click on 2/22/07 and the Noxious Odor one.  It is rare, but you may be able to change your odor with a similar diet that they use.  The problem is trimethylaminuria.  It's where the liver doesn't process food like dairy or fish properly.  They control the odor with mostly veg diet and nutritional supplements to neutralize the odor.  There are sites listed at the bottom for testing(urine) and support groups.  I also saw a lot of info when I googled the problem. Hope this helps a little.
Oh, I'm sorry that I couldn't help you. My advice would be to try to be persistant with the dr until they help you out. I just saw on tv, I think last week, maybe inside edition or something about a couple woman that have a smell problem. One was a rotten fish smell.  They didn't say from what part of her body, I don't think, maybe sweat glands or something. But she had to quit teaching high school because the kids called her names. So sad. I'll try to remember what they called it and post it back for you to check on.
I have to agree - this really does sound like an infection. While I'm not an expert on butt issues, I suspect you'd need to have a specialist go up there with a camera to see what is going on. But generally speaking, bad odours are a big sign of infection.
im assuming you went to your family doctor who found nothing wrong.  i think it would benefit you to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist... I would bet if there is something to be found, they'll find it.
thanks everyone for commenting back on me. if it's an infection, i hope the gastro people can find it. but i'll take the advice and see the specialist. thanks again. and tmv, i will check out the site and see whats suggested there. thanks!!! i really appreciate it.
I've also have this problem (fishy odor coming from my anus) &, until now, I had no idea what was causing it. I do have some cirrhosis which was caused by Hep. C Viral Infection x 25-30 years.  I love coffee (drink 6 cups of weak coffee a day) & I eat a hard boiled egg everyday. I use lots of non-dairy creamer in my coffee. I also eat non-fat yogart for lunch everyday & eat low-fat frozen yogurt every evening. Have you had your liver checked? liver enzymes?   JMV
I was wondering if you ever found out the cause of the odor? I am experiencing the same problem. I wash repeatedly, but the smell is still there. I also thought at first that it was coming from my vaginal, but discovered that it was coming from my rectum. I saw the nurse at my doctors office, and she took a swab, and said there was no sign of infection. I am very worried about this, especially since my Mother just died of colon cancer. My doctor's office do not seem like they are interested in this problem, or concerned. I asked if they could make an appointment for me to have a colonoscopy, but this was also ignored. I guess I should mention that in the UK, ignoring the patient is common practice. I am American, andI can hardly wait for my husband to retire so I can return home and get some decent health care ...if i live that long! In fact, the nurse was quite insulting about it. She insinuated that i may have a fungal type infection, and suggested that I use the same sort of cream that is used for yeast infections. Please, if you have found out anything that can give me a clue as to the cause of this horrible smell, then I would really appreciate it. I am an extremely clean person, and this is really upsetting for me.
Has anyone had a successful diagnosis as to what could be the problem or found an improvement?  I am a 45 year old male who started to notice a similar foul cheesy smell from my bottom a few weeks ago, I shower daily am and pm but the smell seems to be getting stronger, I have been on a long course of antibiotics and wondered if the good bacteria in my body has been killed off, I decided to try pro biotic yogurt drinks to replace and increase the good bacteria, no improvement yet though, I am too embarrassed to visit my Dr
i'm a 27yr old male i also have the same problem, had colonoscopy and all kinds of test done but everything comes negative. i had this problem for seven years. i wonder if there is anything that i can do to fix it. i have changed to several diets but no luck , its frustrating and embarrasing.
You need an evaluation for a fistula.  You may have a connection between your vagina and your rectum.  

There's also a chance you have a rectocoele which is like a pouch in your rectum that catches fecal matter (where the smell might be coming from).  You think you have wiped everything away and that your rectum is clear but it's probably not.

Both of these things can be caused by labour, especially if it was long ie delayed 2nd stage.  Or you had an assisted birth where forceps were used or you had a 3rd or 4th degree tear that wasn't stitched up correctly.

You probably need an evaluation done by a proctologist who knows what they are looking for.
Listen--everyone who is experiencing a rotten fish odour in their smells (urine, anus, vagina, penis, sweat, breath) you do not have an infection or trimethylaminuria. You are all undiagnosed diabetics! You have an unusual case of diabetes where due to stress (primarily stress) your blood sugar rises extremely rapidly and free falls to the point where you are all experincing diabetic ketoacidosis. The ketones are feedingoff you fat and muscle tissue and liver and creating a harmful and digustingly noxious odour of rotten fish. You may have gotten tested and the doctors may tell you that you are fine, but you really are not. This is a stress issue and it will cause your blood sugars to get gooned and create a living hell for you. Try and get tested and relate to your doctor that it isn;t a fasting blood sugar issue its a slow acting insulin system combined with the stress hormones creating this smell. This also goes for bodybuilders with bad armpit smells and for those with bad breath (If your general hygene is good).
I have the same problem
man 28 yr old. I really don´t know what to do.. very embarrasing..which specialist should I contact?
If you had an infection your WBC would be up, you would feel "off", perhaps have a fever, feel sleepy and/or groggy.
Perhaps you guys are reacting to a food that you can not digest.
There could be some undigested fecal matter lingering about your large intestine.
I would take Metamucil for a week, and drink lots of water, just to move the waste material out quicker, and find easier relief. But only for a week.
You do not want to lose too many nutrients and water from your system when you cleanse yourself that long.
Soap and water will not help this matter of smell.  However at the drugstore you can find cleansing solutions specifically for 'pericare' a spray that eliminates bad odours.
After your BM spray your bum and wipe it dry.
The spray is not the solution to your problem but might help it somewhat.
It helps me somewhat, and I am using it daily.
I don't think so because I am a man and have the exact same problem.  If I were you, I'd listen to Wesman_C.  I think he might be right in this.  
Same problem...smelly embarrassing anus/rectum. I am a super clean hygienic person, cover it up with body butter/sprays. I have a CHEESINESS (a light paste if you will) residue though, it smells disgusting, sometimes fishy, pungent, but in a gross neanderthalic way, I like it. Sorry for honesty. I have tried doctors on 8 different occasions, General, GI, Colonoscopy, Prescriptions for difucan, anti-fungals, candida treatment, pinworm treatments, topical steroids creams, detox/diets, cleanses, fistula, fissures, frequent hardcore enemas, veterycin, ALL NEGATIVE/INEFFECTIVE RESULTS, was about to see an anal specialist about this issue, but then my insurance was gone. & If it was rare diabetes, I think I would have other symptoms?
I can't believe it's going on 3 yrs with this issue & still no solution on internet/lack of content. I feel sorry for everyone else with this issue & wish to be confident again... as I am a 32YO gay man & my love life has been troubled for 3 yrs. because of this.I want my *** to be SWEET again.
yeah, I think this sounds right. I have the same problem and it smells stronger when I watch porno movies; it's like a noserunning in the bottom when I watch porn. but one thing, I apply vaseline first, and then sprey a lot of powder on two tissue paper and close it in the place. It helps a lot. a tiny bit of left smell though. yeah, It's like living in hell and very embarrasing.

I kinda have an odor issue , but it's far from smelling like fish. Through my research tonight, I found out that there's this TMAU also know as a Fish Odor Syndrome Disorder. Sadly there is no cure for it. (I hope that's not you , possibly we have)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimethylaminuria

Feel free to watch this girl's video that I also just watched.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/207141/smells_like_dead_fish/
This is the same odor I had when my toenail got mangled by a hot tub falling on it during moving.  I put that cream that comes with the monistat under my toenail and the smell was gone in two days.  I wonder......
i wanna say i have like foul foul foul smell. like im passing gas and im not.for one i dont have anal sex. i take bleach baths every day. now bleach baths dont work.it hurts  real bad.i tried to comitted suciude.but i snap out of it i have three kids.and they need me.i went to diffrent doctors and they dont know anythang.i even had a colonl uscopy done.i hope i spell that right back there.but it came back alright,my good bactirea was gone,only had bad bactirea. then i took antidiotics good bacctirea.and now im here,still need help.so can some one  please help me thank you.
i have this foulfoulfoul smell its like im passing gas and im not.i dont have anal sex.i take bleach baths and now they dont work any more. it hurts so bad i tryed to commited sucided. then i snap out of it,because i have three kids and they need me.i have seen a lott of docotrs,they look me like im crazy.then one told me its in my head. so i went somewhere else they made take a colney like a blow out where they put the carema up there.itcame back where my good bactiera was gone and i had to take them pills for good bactirea.so now im here needing help inmy home,because i dont go any where.the smell is that bad. please any ones help . and people talk obout me to.
I bet it's a type of fungus. There is a cream used for this , it takes about 2 weeks to get rid of it! You have to rub the cream in the anus and vigina (vagina) area! Ask the doctor which cream they provide in the US ! You have to be careful with certain creams, it can cause you to itch and then you have a full blown skin infection down there, which is hard to get rid of cause it's hard to keep that area dry. My daughter had this problem for a year , When  I lived in th US, two pedi doctors had no idea what was causing this smell. When I moved to France, our general doctor knew right away what it was! There is nothing to see on the anus, this is why so many doctors don't know what it is. Maybe try a derm doctor. Can't remember the name of the cream, sorry. Don't give up, don't take no for an answer! Keep trying different doctors until you find one with knowledge to this problem. There is a cure for it.
The problem is the hemorrhoids...Buy Hemorrhoidal Suppositories and a laxative take the laxative first..once that is over insert a hemorrhoidal suppositories into the rectum it will shrink the hemorrhoids. You might have to use preparation H  Ointment to put on the hemorrhoid to push them  in so you can insert the hemorrhoidal suppositories..Hemorrhoidal Suppositories is by a company by the name of Healthy Accents telephone number is 1-866-322-2439 ....I brought the medicine at Food Loin Supermarket..It has only been 2 weeks but no smell so far...I am not a doctor just a victim..I hope my info was helpful someone else..
if you take indocin or indomethycin, it can cause your rectum to smell bad.
Thank you!!!! you have been a great help to me.I have been dealing with this for quite a while and I did brought it up to my Doctor and she said the same..They actually look at you like you are crazy..Go figure!!!
I'm a 30 yr old female who started having the same problem when I was 26. My anus seems to sweat often and anytime my anal areas gets wet or sweaty it starts to have a horrible rotten fish smell. I've went to the doctor and they couldn't find a fungus and I took yeast infection medicine but it has not gone away. It is so embarrassing and I'm sad know one seems to have a clear answer as to what this condition is. My butt doesn't itch and there is no pain. It just smells like rotten nastiness any time I butt sweats. :( I don't want to except that its just stinky butt sweat because I never had the problem before I was 26 and the smell is just too overwhelmingly bad.
I have the same problem I'm a 16 year old girl.. This started about a year ago and it's the worst thing ever, I smell like rotten burnt squirrel ***. I've used creams , pills , certain foods even going to religion, therapy even a ****** psychic woman..nothing works.. My family and close friends say they don't notice it but when I'm out in public I get these wrong looks :(
I dropped out of school and its ruined so many relationships
When I'm alone I feel fine and safe but in public it's a nervous wreck!! I notice when i feel safe I sense no Oder but when I'm nervous all hell breaks loose
Here's some of the responses I've gotten from doctors and others around me

1. It's IBS, (irritable bowel syndrome)
2. Anxiety. That my nervousness gives off a bad smell and its causes ppl to "smell my fear"
3. A "sexual spirit" is attached to me. And feeding off me (careful when looking this up might be voodoo or complete ********)

ALLLLL of it seems like ******** because I can't find a solution... God has helped me keep faith , I've almost committed suicide but I don't wanna hurt my family and others around me.. I have no clue guys but all I can say is love your stinky self **** EVERYONE DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO CAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY NO ONE WAS PUT HERE FOR YOU TO PLEASE.. NUT THE **** UP AND STOP LIVIN IN FEAR
Hey I lost my virginity a week ago and a few days after I noticed a strong smell. We used protection but his hands were " everywhere " so I'm thinking its something to do with bacteria but the smell was outrageous and it seems like the worst of it is coming from my ***. I'm going to see a doctor but I just hope the problem gets resolved but it seems like nothings working, no matter how many times I wash, no matter what I use.....smell is still there, I just can't believe so many other young people are having the same problem.
http://www.knowswhy.com/why-do-hemorrhoids-smell/

So, the solution to the problem is to get rid of the hemorrhoid problem...
Yes it was thank u!
Hang in there. I had my problem on and off for about 5 months before it went away. After another 4 months it came back again but that's because I triggered it with stress from school and from sitting too much for long periods of time, which is how i got the problem the first time too. Keep experimenting with solutions until you find with with productive results. I actually forget exactly how i overcame my problem, but it can go away. Keep experimenting until you find a solution that works and don't bother wasting your time with doctors because they don't seem to know ANYTHING about the condition. Do you happen to have any issues while pooping?
Kookoolo----NOTHING and I mean NOTHING like this is worth killing yourself over.  I think what's going on with most people on this board is that they have internal hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids, whether internal of external, produce a watery fluid or mucus-like substance and this is what causes the odor. You may not think you have internal hemorrhoids because you don't have pain in the area, but a lot of the time internal hemorrhoids don't cause pain. As far as treatment for internal hemorrhoids, it all depends on how far you want to take it. You can try the traditional methods first: more fiber, sitz baths, applying witch hazel to the area, and avoiding straining. If those don't work, it gets more difficult. You can simply wait them out, but they may come back, or your other choices include banding, stapling, or as a last resort, surgery.  Good luck to all.

Here is part of an article on the issue from About.com:

Because persistent constipation can aggravate your hemorrhoids and prevent them from improving, take preventive measures to avoid constipation.

Try sitz baths. Sit in a tub filled with warm water for 10 to 15 minutes several times a day.

Apply a cold compress or icepack to the anal area, or try a cool cotton pad soaked in witch hazel.

Apply petroleum jelly or aloe vera gel to the anal area, or use an over-the-counter hemorrhoid preparation containing lidocaine or hydrocortisone.
After every bowel movement, clean the anal area with a witch hazel pad, a soothing baby wipe or a cotton cloth soaked in warm water. Be thorough but gentle. Aggressive rubbing and scrubbing, especially with soaps or other skin cleansers, can irritate the skin and make your hemorrhoids worse.

As necessary, modify your daily activities. Lie down periodically to decrease pressure in your anal area, and avoid spending long periods of time on the toilet.

If you have more severe hemorrhoid symptoms, or if your hemorrhoids are prolapsed or filled with a blood clot, your doctor may recommend other treatments.

I have empathy for you because I'm suffering with the same issue. Doctors ran tests, and found that my thyroid is fine, I have no obstruction in my intestines (which is a relief), but I'm still left with this mystery  This problem dominates me everywhere I go. My quality of life is no doubt not the same. I truly think its an infection, and I'll be going back to the doc next week. If I have any positive updates or if you have any positive update pleaase feel free to share. I wish you sucess in defeating this problem
I had a smell coming from my rectum..The problem was I had an infection in my throat and you might have mucus in your stomach..Go and see an ears nose and throat doctor..
I had the same problem the answer was I had an infection in my throat and you..might have mucus in your stomach...go see and ears nose and throat doctor
Was the smell and fishy one ?
I meant was the smell a fishy smell ? Did you have painful bowel movements ?
DV425, have you figured out a solution to the odor problem? I seem to be suffering from a similar problem. I can't figure it out. I'm wondering if any docs have given a diagnosis?
Well, I have read some of these questions and comments and I am also suffering from this. I have Crohns disease and am currently having a flare up. I have developed an anal fistula tha is very painful. About 2 weeks ago I noticed a smell that was horrific and could not figure was going on so curiousity got the best of me, I took a picture to see what is going on down there and to my surprise I have this large purple balloon around my rectum and there are 2 tares. I am having a very hard time having bowel movements the only way I can is if I take 2 laxatives and then I have to strain to get them to start flowing. Its so bad I have to almost pop a blood vessel to pass gas. I dont know if this helps anyone, but it may just be do to inner hemorroid or and infection..but I hope everyone can get relief.
My husband noticed my smelly butt which has caused me huge embarrassment as I wash myself properly. I am wondering if my fellow sufferers in addition to the butt issue also battle to loose weight.  I read earlier that the smelly butt could be related the undiagnosed diabetes and a result of insulin resistant. I am keen to hear your response.
I saw something today about Keybiotics Kilss the bad Bacteria. I want to try it
I have read most of these responses. I'm experiencing a mild fishy smell from my rectum as well. I recently put on a lot of weight by taking steroids for my asthma. I have increased my consumption of fish, fish oil pills, and sugar over the holidays. It is only then when I gained the pounds I noticed a smell. I'm sure it's a combination of my diet and weight gain that I'm having this problem.

(1)   Non of the responses suggested a colon cleanse. If it's bacteria, or fungus, or a pocket holding waste, I believe frequent colon cleanses can dislodge whatever it is and thoroughly cleanse inside the crevices of the intestinal walls. It's like taking a super bath.

(2)   Drink plenty of water (preferably lemon water, not lemonade) and
take probiotics and multi- vitamins. Discharge only when you have a bowel movement is normal. You need it to pass your bowels easily so you will not tear or produce hemorrhoids and boils caused by constipation. Dry bowel movements cause trouble.

(3)   Eat plenty of vegetables that are not over cook. Preferably steamed.
Cut out meat products for a while. Beef and pork take 7 days to digest. If you are eating beef and pork on the regular, it always stays in your system  (your body has a hard time digesting) and the old remnants are rotting away which produces bad smells, gas, and smelly bowel from your rectum. Soon the smell will seep through your skin, armpits, etc.

(4)   Drink detox tea or take detox pills. Our systems over time accumulate junk it can't easily rid of and end up storing it in places throughout our body. A detox will cleanse the whole body.

(Resolution)
I have been drinking the detox tea and lemon water. So far, the fishy smell is mild. I'm going to eat only fresh foods and get a colon cleanse. Hopefully all this eliminates the smell. After all, You are what you eat.  
hi guys, it is nothing just harmful bacteria in your rectum. go to heb, walmart, any where and find a medicine that destroy those bacteria. i have same problem for one year. last week i talk to one of the pharmacist and start taking medicine. now no problem. trust me it will go away within 3 days.
if u did not find tell me i will give you the address where i find that medicine
it safe my life
Hey great reading your old comment from January 2012. Did you ever find the origin of your issue? Better yet -- any solution or cure?

I have the same problem (and laughed at your mentioning you secretly have some appreciation for that foul, fishy smell. I do too! Humans are gross.). In addition to the paste-like residue and fishy smell, my anus itches like crazy. At one point for about a month last fall, the itch was quasi-constant throughout the day, with peaks (oddly) in the middle of the night.

Any help much appreciated...
I have had this bad smell problem since i was a young child and it has caused me much grief and embarrassment both personally and socially.  After much reading on line i too have traced it to bad rectum smells and bad body odor, and like everyone that has commented thus far i too am very clean and wash thoroughly  to no avail.  I diagnosed myself from information online as doctors were of no help, and I reckon I have TMAU (Trimethylaminuria).  I'm now drinking copper chlorophyll fluid 2/3 times a day and have noticed a huge change as the smell has lessened.  I am now changing my diet to cut down on proteins and legume type foods and see how i go on that.  What medicine were you prescribed for your condition?
keep researching there is some treatment suggestions out there.  Diet changes and chlorophyll is where I'm starting.
you're right, it can persist for years but is harmless fungus and disaprears imediately with Nidoflor or other candida creams (just check to be sensitive to it, not resistant, make a simple fungigrame)
I think Ch10 has the answer.  I have had the same problem for a years now.  I assumed it was gas related. I do have hemorrhoids.  However, in the last three years I noticed that when I'm stressed somehow in a public place or think I need to go to the bathroom, it feels very sweaty in the anal area.  My stress symptoms include possible run to the bathroom with diahrrea symptoms or real. The odor is there whether this happens or not, but that seems to make it worse than ever.   It recently occured to me it smells kind of like my cat that releases the anal gland smell when she freaks out.  A lot like that.  Pretty harsh and definitely an anal related odor.  I have tried many of the things listed above and most I'm not going to try because they haven't been helping anyone.  I did read the article in a link Ch10 posted and it sounds right on.  It makes total sense.  And helpful hint to those that suffer really, really painful hemorrhoids... try Vicks.  I'm totally serious.  You put it inside some and outside Whever ever you feel the pain specifically for sure.  And surrounding areas.  Plenty so you get everything.  In just a couple minutes, the pain is almost gone.  Still tender, but doesn't bring tears to your eyes and make you sweat from the pain.  Try it a few times. You'll be so glad you did.  

THE WEBSITE IS:  
www.knowswhy.com/why-do-hemorrhoids-smell/hemroids  

I really think it makes perfect sense.  So I will work harder to try to remedy the hemorrhoids.  I've seen a bunch of information now and will try to put them to work. lol  Good luck to all of us.  

PS:  DO NOT GIVE UP AND HURT YOURSELF.  This isn't a personal problem.  It's a physical one.   And there have to be millions of people around the world with this same problem.  It's nothing worth hurting yourself over, and more specifically destroying someone elses life because you couldn't see past this, or any other issue.  You may solve your problem(S) in not dealing with it, but you cause a lifetime of heart ache and pain to the ones you leave behind.  And there are many indications that if someone in the family has committed suicide, it is more likely that someone else close to you will in the future.  Even years later.  Get help through a crisis line.  They will help you see the light at the end of the tunnel.  But you have to go see someone that can really help you for your future.  At least keep calling the crisis lines when you need to.  Don't give up or give in.  Picture who would be hurt the most and/or needs you the most.  It helps.  Trust me, I know.    You often can't see the light till you get help for the bigger picture.  
I read the article from the site you posted.  It makes perfect sense to me.  I don't remember having these symptoms until my hemorrhoids were more that barely noticeable.  I commented below and added your link for all to see.  I hope others share.  I think you found a good clue!  Thanks for sharing.  
Hi. I recently started having this problem as well. Initially I thought it was because of my occasional constipation where my buttock gets sore due to force when I pass my waste; but one week I noticed the odor appeared even though I wasn't constipate at that time, so I started to do some online searches to see if I could find a solution. I did not find a solution so I started doing some brain-storming; I knew this wasn't a normal occurring condition...I did not have this problem all along, so something must be wrong. Finally it dawned on me that it must be some kind of infection or fungus that has developed in my anus (most likely from moisture and/or the warm climate), so one night I decided to use the only anti-fungal cream that I had in my house at the time, Lamisil. Lamisil is an anti-fungal cream for athlete feet and other superficial skin fungus. I started using it on  my anus according to the instructions for one week, and to my joy and happiness, I was completely rid of the odor and the occasional itching that accompanied it at times!
Please note that any prescribed anti-fungal cream may do the job equally fine, but these creams are for external use only, and should not be inserted inside the anus or vagina.
I am sharing this with every one who is suffering from this problem simply because I know how embarrassing it is. Some people tend to ridicule other people when they are suffering from a condition; some of us never know what it is another person is feeling until we find ourselves in he same position. We all need to remember that we are all humans and sickness is not confined to just one person, or a group of people. Let's all help each other...you never know when your time will come...I didn't know that I would be humiliated in this way because I am very strict and self conscious when it comes on to my personal hygiene.
Take care and God loves you!