Endometrial Ablation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Endometrial Ablation

Hello everyone: I am 30 years old with NO kids and have never had a scare of being pregnant and me and my husband (at the time) tried for 5 years with no success. Since I was 22 I started having heavier and more painful periods along with "spoting" when I am ovulating. My "normal" month can be (start my period for 5-9 days then be off for 7-9 days and then start spotting for 3-5 days and stop for 7-9 days and then start the whole process again) My periods can last any where from 5-9 days depending on when my body actually wants to release the blood instead of just a thick brown discharge. During the "3rd" day of my period I can go through a "regular" pad in 2 hours and it is very painful, I pass large blood clots and I have lowerback, pelvic and leg cramps for the entire day. It can keep me from work or other social functions, I have tried birth control which works as far as lightening/shortening and decreasing my cramps to nothing. But I don't want to take birth control until I start menopause, so I was thinking about a parital hysterectomy and then my bestfriend asked me if I had heard about Endometrial Ablation, so I did some research on it and I have read a number of blogs on this and other forums and for the most part it sounds like it works to an extent, I have also noticed that people that have had it done, a few years later they get severe cramping and bleeding again. Does this continue to last? Is there anyone here who has had it done 5 or more years ago and if you have how are things going for you? If you could please send me an email on your experiences it would be greatly appreciated. ***@****
I do have an appointment with my GYNO on the 23rd of February so I will be asking her also, but I just wanted to get some personal opinions from people that have had it done, thank you so much for your time.
you can comment on my post instead of sending and email, I'm new and didn't realize it would show my email address!! Ooops, LOL
I had Novasure ablation done in Dec 2008 as a "tag on" procedure since my GYN was already going in to remove scar tissue on the outside of my uterus.  While I exp heavy periods prior to the ablation, they completely ceased after.  That said, the other symptoms following the ablation, especially now where it's suspected that I have substantial intra-uterine scarring (from the ablation) and uterine "nodules," if I had known it would cause this much trouble a few years later, I would have never had it done and would have continued to deal with my heavy periods.  It was not worth it and now I need to make a decision on whether or not to have a hysterectomy.

Not fun.

I hope wish you the best of luck!