Endometrial ablation anyone had this done?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hi I have scheduled HTA Hydro Thermablation for may 23 and am worried about what to expect post op.  Has anyone had this done and how did you feel after?  Was it successful? Any input would be great/.
I'm hoping to have a Novasure endometrial ablation this month.  The post op shouldn't be bad, some spotting, discharge and crampiness for a day or two.  I don't know about your exact procedure, though.

There are some discussion groups on the web.  Do a search for endometrial ablation discussion and see what comes up.  There are some good posts, and some scary posts about it.  Remember that more people post about bad results than good ones.
Hi:

I had one about 4 years ago.  Basically, you are kind of sore and you walk slowly for a couple of days.  They will give you pain meds.  You have an icky kind of discharge for several days afterwards...it's the uterine lining that flakes off.  I haven't had a period at all since, but some women can/do still get them.  You will still get EVERY symptom of PMS, cramping, headaches, grumpiness, etc., the same as you did before, you just won'd bleed (hopefully ;-).

Good luck!!

thanks fot the comments!!  I would still like to hear from everyone else who has had it. did you bloat up really big like you were pregnant after your procedure?  Did you experience any weight gain? How long before you felt normal and were able to do activities?
I didn't have any of the symptoms you described.  I was feeling almost back to my old self within 3 or 4 days.  In fact, the doc said no sex for two weeks, but we didn't make it that long (hehehe).  I wouldn't recommend it though because I got a nasty yeast infection which is probably because of all the antibiotics they run thru the uterus when doing the procedure.  I wouldn't worry, it's really not bad at all.  It's way better than what you're probably going thru now, for sure.

Good Luck!
Thanks Pammy sue!!  You have really made me feel better about the whole procedure!  You really have no bleeding now!! WOW I'm sure I won't be that lucky, even if I slow down to once a month I'll be greatful.  I'm just sad about giving up the posssibility of more children even tho I have 2 and am probably done ( hubbby has a vascectomy) It's just so final.
I just had the NOVASURE eblasion done and wanted to post this for anyone thinking of having the procedure. If I had read some of the other blogging sites about this procedure I would not have done it. Thank goodness I didn't read them first! It has been a week and I am feeling great! I had some bad cramping the first day, but easily controlled with meds. I was very bloated and had gas pains for about 3 days afterwards. I was able to get up and move on with life after day 2. when you read some other sites you will read about women who "had" to take 12 days off of work to recover. I seriously hope they were hospitalized otherwise, they were milking it big time! Another comment was that a girl has been bloated for 6 months from the surgery and doctors told her there is nothing they can do about it... come on, is this for real? If that were the case the doctors would have her visiting specialist after specialist.  And finally there is a girl who had the procedure done and the following month was asking if she could have a baby now. READ the brochure woman! Anyway, I wanted to blog this for those of you looking into the procedure- my first advice...don't read all the blogs. I understand that there can be complications with any surgery...but some of the peoplecommenting are unreal! Do what you feel you need to do- I would highly recommend the procedure.
i had this done a couple of years ago.  i didn't have to much pain after; i had it done on a friday and went back to work on monday.  i had very light periods after having this done; however, after one year my heavy bleeding returned resulting in a hysterectomy.  it affects everyone differently.  some never have anymore problems after the ablation.  best wishes.
I had my procedure done last thursday.  I started cramping pretty bad this morning, (one week exactly after procedure) and then I started bleeding.  I called the doctor's office and they told me it was probably just the scab coming off.  Do you have that happen to you?  I am already on my second pad today. I am also very bloated.  It actually looks like I am pregnant.  Did this happen to you as well. Please let me know.

tinam410
I had hydrothermal ablation done on Sept 4, 2008 and three minutes into the procedure the hot water leaked.  I have second degree burns externally and internally has not yet been determined.  The burns also became infected and I was admitted for three days for 24/7 antibiotics and pain management.  Has anyone in this forum experienced a similar adverse outcome?
Oct 17,2008

I had the hydrothermal abaltion on  Friday Oct 10, I only had to take 2 pain pills and by Friday night All cramps went away, Saturday the next day I felt like nothing happened, and still that way. The only thing is I have a watery pinkish discharge that runs out of me, but no shedding of the lining.

Is this normal? has anyone had this
I had this done last tuesday  it has been better than expected.  A little sore but only from lifting my 2 yr old. I only has the pink for the first day.
I had this procedure done 1 week ago.  The first two days were great, no pain and didn't need pain meds. Start light spotting on day three. Cramping, but the heating pad helped. Started bloating and was uncomfortable at the one week mark.  One more week until my post op appointment.  Advil helps the cramping. Still bloated.  Very, very light bleeding.  Also a discharge that is goopy yellow/brownish. Hopefully this will be over soon.  Would recommend.
i am getting ready to have this done on april 10, 2009 and i think the only thing that makes me nervous is being put out... I've been put out before but it's been 9 years so i'm just a lil nervous... however for the pain i can handle pain prettu well i just it works for me casue the next option will be a partial hysterectomy( oooooooooooooooooh)....wish me luck.......it's on a friday so i will go back to work on monday
I had the NovaSure done on Thursday, 3/12/09 only pain meds taken were Excedrine Back and Body the first night. I do feel bloated and I am having the clear discharge which I feel is a little heavy about 1 wk after the procedure...i really didn't have alot of discharge immediatly after procedure... I went to back to work the following Monday..I had to move boxes that day but didn't feel bad...a little tired that evening...started my walking program back up on Tuesday and have continued 30 minutes daily 3 to 4X wkly....will have my 2 wk post up dr. visit on the 26th to see how things are going...I to was also worried preprocedure but worried for nothing...we'll see in the next few months how things go. sg
I had the procedure done a little over two years ago. I have experienced no periods since. Just on today, I began lightly spotting and as the evening progressed heavy pain in botttom of abdominal area. Don't want to get scared, but wondering has anyone had this experience. I have made an appointment for OB/GYN.
i had this proceedure done 4/14/09 i got the watery discharge for about 2 weeks, and then had nausea, and a little cramping for 4weeks, when I went back for my postop they said it was perfectly normal tohave those symptoms from it, some get yeast infections and uti's afterwards also, i got that too. But i'm going to tell you if anyone says novasure doesn't hurt, thay are lying even my ob, and nurse practioner said they're lying cuz they have had it to and they said hurt like hell, and as mine did too. Its painful, butmy cycle was over with in two hours after the proceedure.
How many people out there are experiencing the bloating and weight gain following the procedure?  This seems to be a common side effect as I read various blogs.  Those two issues alone have stopped me "dead in my tracks" when only a few hours ago I was pretty sure that I was going to schedule the procedure - had a visit with my Ob-Gyn this past Monday, in fact.  Thanks in advance for your input.
Is anyone having major pain when having sex ?  it feels like sand paper on raw open wound.  killing me
I had the ablation one year ago
I'm reading way more negative than positive regarding this procedure.  The complications seem to keep piling up:  infections, contraction-like cramping, weight gain, bloating to the point of a 3-month pregnancy, mood swings, lengthy periods of odorous discharge, and now pain with intercourse. It seems that the procedure primarily results in trading one problem for another (or for many, many others).  
I had this done Dec 5, 2006. I thought I knew how painful my abdominal cramping could be, but after the surgery it was WORSE. I was bloated so HUGE I looked pregnant for months and, no, doctors don't do anything about the adverse reactions. Everyone is different though. Every fiber of my being told me to not go through with it and it wasn't due to fear; it was just knowing. But I let logic and pressure from doctors win. I have regretted my decision, but for one fact. Having the tissue identified in a surgical procedure is the ONLY way to get a sure diagnosis. At least I know what has crippled me for the most part. But, I still can't do anything about it.
diemyn - thank you for your response and addition to this blog, but I am hoping you can clarify what you mean by "having the tissue identified in a surgical procedure is the ONLY way to get a sure diagnosis" and "at least I know what has crippled me for the most part."  If I might ask, "What are you still experiencing?" . . . the term 'crippled' bothers me.  And also, what is the one fact that has led you to regret your decision?  Thanks again for your time and discussion, and I am sure sorry for your unfortunate experience.  
You can make assumptions based on the symptoms you experience, but surgery is the only way to get the diagnosis of endometriosis. As far as getting disability goes those who review your case concern themselves with what you have been diagnosed as having. That's the only reason I'm not totally regretful, cuz I need disability.

I didn't post with the intent to frighten people, so I omitted the most disturbing experience following surgery. I really wanted to emphasize that you should trust your intuition when it comes to making huge, potentially life threatening decisions. My abdominal pain and leg pain before surgery was very very bad. I couldn't drive anymore, stand for more than a minute of two, or have sex. It got worse around my period and better afterward, but was constantly bad enough to make me grimace and groan when I moved about. I also had adhesions that other people sitting near me could hear tearing with a tv at normal volume 3 feet away, which is a pain I imagine to be very similar to being shot as it's so sudden and I screamed and crumpled immediately. That had been my life for the 6 months prior to surgery; wasn't getting better or worse, but prevented me from working.

But after surgery I was introduced to a whole new level of pain. One that words cannot accurately describe. I love excruciating pain compared to what I went through the year after. They only gave me a few darvocet for the couple of days after, so I had nothing to dull the pain I was in. From the hour I woke up I was in so much pain I was afraid to move at all, but it'd get to be so intense from just dragging myself a few feet to the toilet that for 8 hours I would writhe and scream just totally out of it and unable to think so much as a "this hurts." All I can figure is that somehow in my head I'm processing the experience as my body hurting, so I'm trying to get out of my own body. As that pain would rise and I'd start to writhe and lose myself completely my last thought was, "I hope this time I die." It was like dying a slow death every day for about 8 months. The only reason I slept was from exhaustion. I wasn't in shape at all before this, but it was like the best workout ever and I was thinner and more toned than I'd ever been in my life. People didn't understand that I was sick, cuz I looked great aside from being miserable. I'd usually wake up, try to eat, and sit very still and sob quietly after my daily "writhe session" but eating was really hard cuz I stayed bloated for so long. It was bizarre. I was so thin and fit, but my abdomen was HUGE and I seriously looked like I was expecting. I have stretch marks like I had a baby or something, but it's just from being so bloated. After the first year the first day of my period is just like after surgery, but the rest of the time I can avoid pain by staying still for the most part.

The reason I say crippled is cuz it hurts so badly to walk that I can't do it more than like 10 feet. The amount of activity that increases the pain to unbearable is erratic tho, so there are days I can walk to the bathroom and back and got to the PC and stuff, then there's days where I'm dreaming about being in pain and wake up screaming and can't even move my right leg a half inch without my abdomen killing me. It's like the nerves in my leg got messed up using my right leg feels like my uterus is being kicked.

The point is my life was better and the pain was nowhere near as bad before I allowed the doctor to "cure" me with that procedure. She was horrid by the by and told me that I could not be experiencing bloating and pain like that because she had cured me already and refused to see me in her office at all. Just cuz my experience is the stuff nightmares are made of does not mean anyone elses will be, but in this world anything is possible and I stand as a good example of worst case scenario. Um, yeah, dying would have been better for me, seriously. And no one really understands what it's like.

Thank you! for taking the time to wonder and care about me. I don't mind talking about it too much, so this hasn't been the burden it may seem to be. It is just reality for me and it's been good in ways too. I would like to think that I could learn to be accepting of help, allowing, grateful, and loving some other less horrible way, but it is as it is and all is as it should be.

Love and light and heartfelt blessings to you

<3
Diemyn
I had a HTA done in February. The first day was pretty rough. The cramps were torture that night but I haven't had any problems since. My one complaint and I don't know if it is related is the weight gain. I have gained some weight around my middle & I can't get ride of it. So far no periods and I would do it again if my period did come back.
Yes, I know exactly what you mean; it's horrible. I'm so sorry you are experiencing this as well. I got a script for lidocaine to numb the "area" and still haven't been able to successfully have sex since the surgery in 2006. I just had a pap last week and it was so painful my doctor made me establish a safe word and had witnesses come in and I told her that it felt like I had an open wound she was rubbing salt into, but she didn't see anything that would be causing it. I'll let you know if there's anything interesting in the results. Take care.

Love and light to you,
Diemyn
I'm surprised at the dramatic outcome that Diemyn had following ablation.  The cramping immediately was painful; but subsided within a few hours.  The discharge was gross; but manageable and gone within about a week.  As for the bloating, I too experienced that (along with the weight gain).  My OB/GYN told me that this was due to the fact that steroids are used during the procedure and that this symptom is a side effect of the steroids.  The symptoms wore off and within a month, I was back to my pre-surgery weight and the bloating was gone.  I have only had minor spotting once since the surgery; and now nothing.  I am so glad I had this procedure, it was easy and the outcome so far has been great.  I will do it again if the need arises.
I had to write after reading the posts where the authors had a so much pain after the procedure. My ablation was done 10/11/09, I was warned by my obgyn that some women are in pain like childbirth afterwards. I was not afraid, since my periods have been so bad and I had my children naturally with just nubain. Sure enough, after the procedure, the pain was minimal, I did not need any narcotics. My only issue was motion sickness with the anesthesia! I was out at a track meet the following day. There is a nasty discharge and some bloating. I did get a very light 3 day period last month and just started another one today. But hey, I will take light periods versus the hemorrhaging that I had before the ablation. Everyone is different with different pain levels. My other options was the pill, which I did not want to do since my family all has high blood pressure and the Mirena IUD which seems to have side effects of it's own.
Sex, well it's not happening, but then I didn't have much of a sex drive going into this. If my periods are light, I would do this again!
I had ablation done June 2009 and would recommend it for anyone...i had post op bleeding (more like spotting) for about 2 months and then my first period was very light and 4 days long...and after that...NOTHING AT ALL (since SEPTEMBER)...I am very very happy so far with results.  Other than PMS, I have no idea when i am "on a period."  I am overweight & 36 so my doctor thought my periods were likely to continue (just lighter) instead of the nonstop bleeding for 6mos at a time-- that i was experiencing before...so very pleased that they stopped all together!  My advice is:  give it time to work and make sure you prepare your pain meds as instructed because the 1st 8 hours after the procedure was excruciating for me..HORRIBLE CRAMPS...but know that I WOULD DO IT ALL AGAIN!!!  Procedure itself was painfree and simple!  Best of luck to you!!!
Almost two weeks since my ablation and I am having heavier, bloody discharge now than I did in the first week.  I believe it is becasue I went back to work too soon and I had fibroid tumors.  I am very bloated and my ovaries hurt but I am extremely optimistic about the future!  I am hoping for a long and restful weekend!  My boyfirend told me that I am to "take it easy."  He said that I went back to work too soon and began physical activities too soon!  I am forbidden to go out and shovel my car out!  (HIs last words before he left the house today!)  Oh well, I am enjoying being pampered by him.  Hopefully, all goes well at my check-up on Monday!
I had a NovaSure three years ago. It was a complete success until a few months ago. Now I am having horrific cramps overs the days I would normally have a period. The cramps are so painful that I cannot walk and am now taking Vicodin, as ibuprofen and naproxen don't touch the pain. My pain is also below the navel and is worse than the cramps I had before the ablation. No bleeding just terrible cramping.

My check up went fine.  Am still experience light, water discharge and am hoping that it disappears soon!  Dr said up to six weeks!  They did share that they had never before seen any patient as "out of it" after the procedure.  I slept the rest of that day and all the next day.  Did experience some cramping last week.  It was the normal time for my period so I am guessing that was why I cramped for a couple of days.  
I had it done in 2007, shortly after I started having periods again just not as heavy. The cramps are so bad I can hardly stand it. I have been told I look 4 months pregnant even by the doctor. I would tell anyone thinking about having a Endometrial Ablation to NOT DO IT!
Wow that is scary..Especially considering I am scheduled to have my surgery in the morning at 6 am. I will keep you guys posted on how I feel. Thanks for sharing your experiences...it really helped
I had my Hydrothermal Ablation completed on Monday. Today is the 7th day and I am fine. I have cramps like I have my period and clear discharge, but I am doing great.  However, I had the Lupron shot two months ago in preperation of this procedure and I am still getting hot flashes! When will that wear off!
I had my hydrothermal ablation last Thursday (3/25). Today is 4 days post surgery. I had bad cramps for the first few days and took Vicodin for pain management. I have a light discharge but no bleeding. I am experiencing mild to moderate cramps and have switched to Aleve as my pain is not as severe. I am starting to get my energy back. I have a 7 day follow-up appointment this week and will make another post then.

I am hopeful that this procedure will work for me. I am 49 and after not having a period for four months, I had two weeks of heavy bleeding, followed by a week off, then a week of extremely heavy bleeding. I consulted with my OB/GYN. My options were to have a D&C or try Prometrium to control my bleeding. (I've taken Prometrium before)  The D&C would be temporary and the medication approach could take several weeks or months, so I opted for the ablation.  
Well I'm having the novasure and the laparoscopy in about 15 day I have been kinda in tips and tops about it, but after reading some of your comments about the surgery I know to expect. I guess the best thing for me to do is pray that everything will be alright. I have fibroids on my ovaries, sex is painful, and my cycle is horrible I put this off for the pass 16 years now its time to do something about it.So please keep me in your prays. Thank You

Fran2010
Im 28 and have 4 kids which i had c-sections with all of them and on baby 4 i had my tubes tied since then my bleeding was very heavy and very painful my doctor told me about Hydro ThermAblator , I was up for anything but i didnt do much reading up on it. I have the HTA yesterday and i wish i wouldnt have !  It started out i took one darvacet and Diazepam one hour prior to my appointment time and the night before i was given one ibprofen 800 . When i got to my appointment i was given another pain med in shot form.  When i went in the room  the doc numbed me a few times . when it came to opening my cervix because i never gave natural child birth he came into complacations and i had so much pain i was in tears he got it open only a little and then it felt as though it was shoved into me i made it 10 minutes throught the  procedure and then i felt very sick and so much pain they had to stop . my cramps afterward were severe no amount of pain meds took my pain away . Walking is hard and all i am able to do is laydown and im bleeding like never before . I have talked to my doctor and he says that since we ran into somuch complacation that we will wait for 3 months and he will hospitalize and and just do a hysterectomy and i told him he better put me asleep ! im on day 2 and im starting to run a small fever and  feel swollen and very sick to my stomache and the pain is still very hard
I had an ablation on 2/25/10.  I read a tremendous amount of information on it prior to having the procedure and considered not having it due to the information I read on various chat sites.  I had a D&C, hysterscopy and Novasure ablation all at the same time.  I don't understand how some women have this without any anethesia.  I would hope the women decide this for themselves, and not the doctor being insensitive.  I decided to go through with it because the doctor thought it would really help me and I was at my end with the cramping and massive bleeding each month.  The procedure recovery was not that bad for me.  I only took one vicoden that evening, then I just used ibuprofen for discomfort, and I do not have a high pain tolerance.  Two weeks after I started my period.  That was horribly painful.  It was 100 times worse than my periods before the surgery.  I had to take Vicoden to get through the pain.  I went to the doctor at 3 weeks for a check up and told him if this was how it was going to be I'd be getting a hysterectomy.  He said to give it two more cycles to see if it got better.  He removed a very big fibriod from my uterus and said I had "alot going on" and needed more time.  I had another period recently which was better.  I just don't know how my body is really going to do yet.  Because I had light spotting for about an hour on a pantyliner, so I didn't wear anything to bed.  I woke up with blood running down both legs.  But then I used 2 pads that day and was done bleeding.  The pain was less, so I'm hopeful it will get better.  I still feel exactly the same as before prior to a period- PMS, breast tenderness and all except I don't have as bad of cramping and the bleeding is greatly reduced.  So by those standards technically it was successful.  Now, 2 months after I'm starting to deal with the weight gain issues.  My belly has gotten so big I look pregnant.  I feel bloated most of the time.  I haven't made any changes in exercising and eating, so I'm thinking it's a result of the surgery.  I'm hoping if I step it up it will help, and I'll remain optomistic about that.  I also don't know if my decreased sex drive is a result of the surgery or my new unwanted belly!  I guess I'd just say to anyone considering it to read up on it, and weigh the pros and cons for yourself.  I couldn't live with the cramping and bleeding anymore, so now I'll deal with the weight gain, which I'm also turning 40 so it could be that too.  Best of luck to anyone going to have it done.
I had NovaSure Ablation 4-16-10 proceedure went well had moderate discharge for 3 weeks.  At post op appointment Dr. told me that I had a mild infection and gave me Clyndamicin Ovules for three days...now I believe I have a yeast infection...had anyone had trouble with these infections after their UA?
HTA & Tubal 6/8/10 due to SEVERE bleeading/a fibroid/clots/cramps/anemia. Fit 38 y/o with no other health problems. Had mild nausea while anesthesia wore off. Went for ride and ran some errands afterward (don't really recommend). Only took a couple of the Lortab prescribed then switched to OTCs as needed. Slight yellow discharge, twinges of cramping once in a while and frequent urination. Was worried about having a BM b/c I was afraid to use those muscles but it worked out fine. 4 days post procedure I was doing my yard work. 5 days today, feeling very good. Hardly there spotting and twinges of cramping - more prominent on left side where fibroid was located. I am hopeful for a positive outcome. It is too soon to recommend this type of ablation for others but keep in mind everyone brings the own set of variables to this procedure which can affect the outcome; not to mention the competency of Dr., staff and equipment. By the way... machine quit twice during my procedure. I would have never known if the Dr. hadn't informed my husband. It pisses me off to know there was a problem like that but I am thankful it all seemed to have went well. I will post in another week or so. Good luck and well wishes to those of you in the decision process or post procedure recuperation.
I had done 2days ago was meant to have novasure but they cudnt do not sure why? but had a different type cant remember what as they told me when i had just come round! Took me 4 hours in recovery to come round right felt crap then! Am very tired and very bloated but otherwise not too bad a little bleeding and cramps but am having to take kids to school and all that mum stuff when prob should be resting.
I havnt got an appointment to got back tho?? Has everyone else had? Did they make at hospitla or after? not sure if i should ring?
The nurses letme go home though and never said just aked if i had the leaflets.
3 weeks post HTA Ablation & Tubal (previous post 6/13/10).  I still have continual light pink to light red spotting.  Pantyliner everyday since the procedure.  Saw the gynecologist and he said everything looks good and the spotting is normal just to wait and see.  This does not upset me because I know this is true, only time will tell.  Honestly, I don't care to wear a pantyliner everyday but I would rather that than the "mess" I had to deal with before the procedure.  I feel like a weight has been lifted.  I have not gained weight nor do I have any bloating like some have reported.  Maybe those side effects are related to a particular method of ablation.  I think it is too early to say how my cycle is running.  I will post again in a couple weeks.  Best wishes to you while researching this topic.
6 weeks post (previous posts 6/13 & 6/30) - I am a little disappointed... my continual spotting has become like a normal period.  I am guessing that is what it is.  I had been experiencing my typical PMS, although less severe.  This is still better than what I was dealing with!  I know I still need to give it time, but I hope the horrible torrential flow does NOT return!  Still hoping for the best... don't really want a hysterectomy!  Good luck to you!
Wow, I finally feel "vindicated!!"  I had the ablation done in July of 2009 and it was GREAT for the first 6 months.  No pain, no bleeding, no pms.  Life was great.  Then in January of 10, I started having extremely painful cramps, especially on my left side.  Went to my an ob (not mine, as he was not in), she told me it was a lower-g.i. problem.  Well, to make a long story short and after many tests (including a colonscopy, CAT scan) and seeing specialists, no one could tell me what was wrong.  Last month I finally went to MY ob, and he explained how I could still have blood pooling and with nowhere for it to go, it could be backing up into the falopian tubes and that is what is causing the pain.  He gave me a DEPO shot to see if that would help (I got my tubes tied so as to not have to put hormones in my body).  So far, it has NOT helped.  He is now talking partial hysterectomy....I just thank God I am not crazy and am not the only one this has happened to!!
I had the Novasure procedure on Tuesday Oct 5, 2010 and the only problem I had was the meds given to me did not make me drowsy as I expected, however I felt fine 5 minutes after the procedure was over. I haven't had any cramping AT ALL like most of these people say, however every person body handles pain, etc differently. I have had very little to no bleeding at all. My procedure was at 1:30pm and I was released at 2:25pm with no pain. The meds that were given to me for the procedure began to work at 5pm and i slept through the entire night, my husband woke me up twice in the night to give me Motrin and Loratab the 2nd time. I have not experienced and post pain AT ALL....My most painful experience was the Lanacaine injections because I was not drowsy I was able to feel each injection, once my cervix was numb I was good to go, the other pain which is very temporary was during 45 sec of 90 secs during the procedure which feels like either menstrual cramps or labor pains which lasts about 2-3 minutes after the procedure. Considering my medication did not cause me drowsiness it did allow my body to relax and I feel great. I am looking forward to getting my iron level to normal due to this procedure.
I am 53 years old and I had the Novasure procedure yesterday, under general anesthesia.  I keep wondering if it was actually performed.  Very little cramping a few hours after procedure.  Took a Motrin which relieved it.  Slept through the night, no cramping or pain.  Very little discharge.  I hope that this works and I am hoping that my periods are gone forever.
I had Novasure Friday. I wish I had not read so many discussion board posts beforehand because I made myself really nervous about the pain for no reason. I was given a sedative and was unconscious the entire procedure. Once I woke, I did have pretty nasty cramps (like the worst period/early labor)  and felt like I couldn't get warm. I had to wait 2 hours to take the Percoset, but then I slept like a baby with a heating pad and Percoset every 4 hours for 12 hours. Saturday I was able to switch to OTC pain meds and the heating pad. Most of Sunday, I had no pain just fatigue, but I did start a light pink discharge. Today, my cramping is very mild and I'm using the heating pad only. Tomorrow, I plan to return to work.

I, too, noticed that many of the "disaster stories" around the web seemed to come from the same handful of women. I'm sorry that they had such a terrible experience and I'm sure if I was suffering terribly, I'd want to warn others, too. The problem is that reading them on the web doesn't reflect that this is small number out of hundreds of thousands of EAs performed.
I want to preface this by saying that I have a VERY poor immune system.  If you get a cold, I'll get pneumonia.  Almost every procedure I have goes badly (at first) and takes longer to heal.  
With that in mind I came looking for other experiences with the Novasure Ablation.  Prior to the procedure, I had extreemly heavy periods (going through a super plus tampon every hour) with blood clots and cramps so bad I often vomited.
I had the procedure done 11/23/10.  I had the pain and light colored orangish bleeding for about a week (only needed Tylenol 3 for a couple days, and the heating pad helped a lot).  A week to the day of my procedure I started to bleed (with clots), run a fever, and have terrible pain.  I was told I had an infection and given antibiotics which helped very quickly.
Just before Christmas I got a 4 day period (with 2 days of painful cramping and sort of heavy bleeding - but nothing like before).  I was VERY bummed but still hopeful.
Then again the 2nd week of January, the same thing.  
In between, I have a lot of days where I feel pain on each side of my very low abdomin (abdomen) in a line where I imaging it must be on each side of my uterus.  The pain is usually worse after urinating.
Now today, I have such terrible cramp-like pain that I expected terrible bleeding and clots.  I have neither.  It is making me extreemly neaseous.
After reading all the blogs, I realize I need to be more patient and see if things work out better.  I had been wondering if I should call my doctor and/or if I was just going through another case of being worse than others.  Even though there seems to be many situatiions of bad experiences, there are obviously many with good ones too.  For now I'll be more patient.
I had a hydrothermal ablation in 2006, I was burned very badly internally and externally.  Never since I have very bad cramps during and after intercourse. I wish I never had it done I would take back the heavy periods in a second.  Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Had NovaSure in 2005 and am absolutely elated with the results.  Virtually no down time, was out and back to work the next day.  Started very little BTB just last year, not enought to warrant a tampon, but maybe a panty shield.  So glad I did it!! :-)
Hi, I had my Hydrothermal ablation done 6 weeks ago. Had the normal cramps and bleeding whilst in recovery, but came home 7 hrs later not having taken any drugs given to me. No cramps at all just a pink discharge for the first week and then a yellowy brown one that has only just stopped a week ago. The discharge I experienced for the last 4 weeks was disgusting as it smelt like something was rotting. Made me very self concious and was forever washing. Last week I had bad cramping, which I took the painkillers the hospital had given me(for the first time!) The cramps stopped 2 days ago, but today I had what I can only describe as contraction like pains when in labour. I have a very high pain threshold, having had all my 3 children naturally at home without drugs, but the cramps I had today have knocked me off my feet, literally! Reading the blogs, I take it that the cramps are due to maybe what should be a period then? I hope they subside over time as I haven't had any bleeding since having it done and even with the God awful smell of the discharge and the cramps, I would still recommend it, if it stops the constant bleeding I suffered before the procedure. I have noticed my belly has bloated out in the last couple of weeks too. Is this anything to do with what should be a period? I never suffered from that sort of thing when I had periods before the op. Had sex for the first time last week, after discharge stopped and it was fine, apart from when we tried a deep penetrative position, which felt like I was being stabbed. Won't be doing that one again any time soon! Us poor women do have to put up with a lot don't we!!!! Will blog again in a few months when I have given it more time. Good luck girls who are having it done and don't be nervous as the procedure is fine, just some women have worse side affects than others. xxx
I myself have found the ablation and the Essure to be productive for me. Keep in mind that an ablation will not necessarily make your

periods go away completely, though some women have that luck. :) With me, mine lightened up quite a lot.
Good luck to you. If you need anymore info, let me know.

http://www.***************.**/tests-and-treatments/endometrial-ablation-procedure-for-heavy-uterine-bleeding/

My comment is  that I am trying to decide whether to have the Ablation or the hysterectomy.  I have been reading so many comments and blogs about this that I am not sure about the ablation.  I am 50 years old and starting peri menopause so my periods are very erratic and the lining of my uterus is getting thicker, not shedding like it is supposed to so my dr. gave me some options about doing the ablation which sounds like it could be a simple procedure but so many have bloating problems, yeast infections, heavy cramping, and some heavy bleeding again. I have also checked into the Laproscopic hysterectomy which is also minimumly invasive and healing time is also minimal.  I am pretty healthy and think either that I do will be ok for me.  Just not sure right now which is good choice for me.
I just had the HTA ablation done almost 1 week ago (July 14) and so far so good. I am not in the best physical shape and have fibro and severe anemia, so I expect my healing time to be a bit slower than most. The procedure itself was an uncomfortable pressure, not pain and the two small fibroids I had were taken care of during the procedure. I basically slept for two days and just took it easy. The discharge started out like what you see from a bad blister but on day 4 it now has a bit of pink to it. The smell isn't pleasant but let's be honest, your normal period doesn't smell like roses either. Dying tissue stinks, that's the bottom line. I had some of the gas issues and found that by watching my diet I was able to control most of the discomfort. It's too early to tell how successful this will be for me, but if it even reduces my monthly flow so I can kick this anemia I'll be thrilled. So far I am very happy with the procedure and am just crossing my fingers that it will only get better. If anyone has questions about it, please feel free to email me. I'd be happy to share my experience. Good luck ladies! Katy (***@****)
I had Novasure (endometrial ablation) done a week ago. Surgery went quickly and I don't think there were any issues. I slept the first day second relaxed mostly. I got back to doing daily tasked without to much lifting. My problem was my pain medicine made me feel dizzy and nauseous, so I thought I felt worse then I probably did from the surgery. I stopped taking the pain medicine after the 3rd day. 4th day I took Tylenol and Ibuprofen just to help with discomfort. Now I don't take any pain med and I only am only feeling pain if I do too much. I had mild bleeding first few days, fine with a liner. Now I use a pad because the clear pinkish fluid gushes once in awhile which soaks a liner after a few hours. I haven't had any yellowish stuff or scabbing yet. I did this to stop extremely heavy periods. I'm not sure how my results will be, but so far I think everything is going well. I think you may see more bad complaints than good comments because when things are well people don't complain but if they aren't then they need to rant.
I had the Novasure done on 4-08-11 and LOVE it. I had my tubes tied at the same time and had more issues with that than I did the novasure. I have had no spotting or period of any kind. I did spot 2 days after having it done but I think that was from me over doing it and going to opening day for my sons baseball teams. The only pain or discomfort I had was from the anesthia wearing off. I couldnt even tell you when I am suppose to have my period because I have no symptoms, but I never had cramps and bloating and all that before I had it done I only had HEAVY almost constant bleeding. I have also lost 26 pounds since having it done. I have 6 kids and was back to my everyday rountine within 3-4 days but it only took that long because my bellybutton was so sore from my tubes being tied. I would recommend the Novasure to anyone who asks.
Had my ablation done May 17, 2011.  The post-ablation wasn't too bad as far as pain goes.  My main issue was the discharge...the odor was horrible and it lasted just short of 3 weeks!  But, once that was done, it was a relief and I have not experienced any discharge or bleeding since.  My question is;  Has anyone experienced an uncomfortableness with the stomach area...a bloated feeling, or hard appearance/feeling.  I feel like I look like a pregnant woman and am not able to wear slim clothing without the fear of people thinking I am expecting.  Could it be scar tissue from the procedure?   Anyone else have this?    I would definately do the hydro-ablation again to stop the bleeding though.
I had an endometrial ablation done in 1992 when I was 38 because I wanted to get off the pill and I had terrible cramps. That was 19 years ago. I don't remember any particular pain, maybe a little spotting for a few months during my period, and then no problems, pain, period, never any bloating, and no regrets, since. At my recommendation my sister had the procedure done a month or two after I did with the same result. I'm now 57 and she's now 66. We have a question about decreased libido. I know menopause can play a part in that, as can my not-good and now-over marriage, but as a 57 year old divorcee, it doesn't seem like I should feel like I just never ever want to do that again. No drive at all. And my sister, happily married, can really take it or leave it ('leaving it' would be fine with her). I don't think it's a gene thing (no need to go into detail on that). We blame the ablation, even though our doctors say 'no way'. We messed with our uteruses, of course there's a way! Any comments??
I have a friend wanting to have the ablation and for me it was one of the most successful surgeries I have had and I have had a few.  More than 7 years ago, I bled for 3 months straight and thought nothing could stop it without a hysterectomy.  I was wrong.  The procedure was done in the hospital under a local, went home and rested and went to work in 2 days.  7 years later I have had nothing but success.  No pain, no bleeding-nothing.  I would definitely recommend the procedure, however, we all have different bodies and it may not work for some.  I was shocked to know of such problems with the procedure and I feel for each and every one of you and you get some relief and peace of mind.  Good Luck to all
I had the Hydrothermal Ablation/left ovarie removed, post-op 6 days now. I too had heavy bleeding, cyst and missed periods.  My sister had this procedure years ago and has not had a cycle since.  For me, surgery did not go as well.  One of the instruments severed a few blood vessels on my abdominal wall which led to additional sutures inside and a nights stay at the hospital.  Post Op from what I can tell is the same as what everyone is saying, cramping, watry.pinkish/brownish/smelly discharge.  I had to go back in to see the Dr. two days ago and will go again in two more days but only to check on the the misshap.  To be honest with you, the incisions made for the ablation and the ovarie removal feels fine.  It's the other that is causing me so much pain.  I do however want to ask if any of you have had weakness in the legs?  It seems that when I am up more than 15 -20 minutes, my legs become heavy and weak.  When I asked the Dr. about it he said that there were no nerves associated with it.  Why then are they feeling this way?  Does anyone know or has anyone experienced this before?
I am 41 years old and I had the endometrial ablation performed in May of this year and had NO side effects from it whatsoever.  I now have my period for about 5 HOURS a month as opposed to 7-8 DAYS a month...  HUGE difference and nearly unnoticeable.  Good Luck to those of you who opt for it.  I  know it has made a huge difference in my life as well as in my Iron levels!!

I had this procedure as a day surgery case on Wednesday, I had a few cramps for the first 24 hours and took meds to help. Whilst I feel fine, I keep going really dizzy, feel sick and feel like passing out. I haven't had a general anaesthetic for 19 years so wondered if it was that? I have a low blood pressure reading too so is it that? All I know is I don't like feeling like iam on a roller coaster all the time. Ive had no bleeding at all and been off the meds for 2 days now as apart from dizziness, I feel ok. Whats going on with me, how can I raise my BP?
I just had the hydro thermal ablation yesturday.....wow after the procedure the pain was very bad and intense...but today im feeling a lil better...some discomforts,some discharge,no bleeding.......i do have some lower abdominal pressure ...pain when I urine...walking very slowly..but hopefully it gets better
I had the endometrial ablation done last year and other than the weight gain (really looks like I am pregnant again) I have no side effects and my period is also only a few hours instead of a few days(5-7). And I really waste tampos/pads nowadays as there is hardly any bleeding. I still get the cramps but not as much as before the ablation. I would recommend it to any one!
I had an ablation 4 years ago, and I have never regretted it.  Only thing I regret is being one of the small percentage whose periods didn't stop completely--just my luck.  But I had terrible flooding before I got this procedure done, and my periods are lighter and more manageable than they ever were.  They are just now starting to get a little heavier, more like they normally were before I started perimenopause.  I am only a tiny bit worried that I might have to have another procedure, because I have finally started skipping periods--yeah!

As for pain, I had horrible cramping afterwards while I was in recovery, but really not much after that.  I didn't have any bloating at all, even from the gas used to inflate my abdomen during the procedure, and only took pain pills for part of a day.  I did have discharge for quite awhile, but it was liveable and eventually went away.  I was able to resume normal activity the next day.

I have never regretted having this done--it was a lifesaver for me.  I couldn't function 2-3 days a month because of flooding and heavy flows, and now I can do anything I want.  I'm hoping it lasts me and I don't have to have it redone, because I am so close to menpause.  But if I do need another one, I will do it without a second thought.  I've had several friends who have had it done, and they never regretted it, either.  I've heard some terrible things about the Novasure ablation method, and I would not consider that, but the hydrotherm method was great for me.
I had an endometrium ablation on 20th December 2011 just over a week ago. I was a bit reluctant to have it done as although I am 46 and have two children it just seemed to be very final. After a bit of debating with my gynacoleagist I went through with it. I woke up to bad cramping for  a couple of hours and took some pain killers which eased the pain. I havn't had any other problems as yet part from a really bad cough which is due to the anesthetic.
I had the endometrial ablation procedure a month ago along with having a fibroid removed. I'm 45 and I have a 2 yr. old. I experienced TCC for almost 2 yrs. so our son is a blessing every day to my husband and I. With that being said, we knew with our age, & additional medical condition, we did not want to try for more children. My emotional experience was KNOWING that it was "officially" final for me in giving birth to another child.  With that being said, my experience with the procedure was exactly what my doctor described to me. I had moderate to severe cramping in the first 24 hrs. and very little afterwards. I was prescribed pain meds & I took it accordingly and it worked 100%. I  would describe the cramping to that of my early labor pains...that type of cramping. One day out of the first 12 days, I experienced a pinkish discharge as I was told I would and that was it. Never used a pad, or my Diva Cup during the recovery process and haven't since my last cycle in November. Today is 1/6/2012. My other side effects were more from anesthesia...hoarseness for about a week from the tube down my throat. I would recommend that anyone looking at having this procedure done make sure that you fit the criteria because it is pretty much permanent. My outcome and results have been very good.
I had the ablation done August 2011 and ever since then I have suffered extreme bloating, the doctor can find nothing, tells me I'm fat. I am waiting to go back to the surgeon but that's not til May!
I had this procedure Dec 2011, had mild cramping for about the first 12hrs and a light pinkish discharge for approx 2wks.  One month later I had a very light period that lasted 1 day, I was in heaven, then.. February I had a period that lasted 7 days, it was constant but had no clots, the cramps are like labor and not only in front but lower back, you feel as though your whole insides are just not right, my stomach was bloated and if you don't have IBS you will.  March is here and well.. Same thing except now I have very small hints of tissue but not enough to call it a clot.  I am praying that its just slow to work for me HaHa.  Good luck to all the women that this has worked for because it can be a life saver, but to those of us that it hasn't done us fair, looks like the Doctor gets more money.  I would go for the hyst if I had to do over.  I am 44
I am 4 day post nova sure. My procedure was scheduled for 10am, had to be there at 9am and left the office at 10:45!  I was given diazepam and two Hydrocodone 500mg. Only felt very mild cramping at the top of my uterus during the actual procedure. I couldn't imagine going under general anesthesia in the hospital!  As far as recovery, I rested that entire day as the pain meds made me sleepy and continued with Aleve for 48 hours. Day 2 I walked about a mile, day 3, i walked 3.5 miles and some aerobic activity.  Day 3 & 4 I am bloated and just a little crampy and nauseas.  Little to no discharge on day 1. Later in day 2, clear, slightly pink tinged discharge when wiping. Hoping the boating and nausea is a small price to pay for the three days of hellish cramping and bleeding I had every month!  If you want this procedure, it is mind over matter!  If your periods and cramps are bad enough, nothing can be worse than that!
I have HTA scheduled for 3/26. I am honestly more than a little nervous after reading the few horror stories out there, but I have been through Essure implantation with no big horrifying side-effects, so I am staying with my plan. I have periods that last at least 7 days right now, and sometimes more than one a month. Just recently I had a 14 day period, which is what prompted a ton of testing by my doctor, and the follow-up suggestion that an ablation might be in order.
I have been bleeding since January 4th and my ob/gyn has tried high doses of estrogen to stop the bleeding but to know avail.  I only have a cyst and a fibroid and she doesnt think this is the reason for my continued bleeding, she actually does not know what is causing it. I have always been extremely regular-every 28 days with normal bleeding and no cramping (back pain though) I tried the estrogen first to see if that would stop the bleeding because I am a fan of trying the least invasive type of correction first.  It seems as though at this time I will be having the ablation and D & C however after reading all of the comments suffice to say I am alittle more than concerned and am now at a point where I am not sure what I am going to do now.  
i had it don in 2009, now everytime i have sex it hurts to the point i scream and cry after. also when i lay on my stomach it feels like a knot in my lower abdomin (abdomen)
Okay, so my procedure was yesterday and I must say I had more ill-effects from the anesthesia than I did from the HTA. I was very nauseous afterwards, and they kept me longer for vomiting. Today, yes, I am bloated, but I am thinking that will go down with time. Not as crampy as I expected to be, and I am ready to go to work tomorrow. All in all, if this does what it is supposed to I will be very happy.
I would advise against it.  I just had it four days ago and have first and second degree burns on all my internal and external vaginal areas all the way to the top of my buttocks.  My doctor said thank goodness I opted not to go to sleep or the burns could have been worse.  I started screaming five minutes into the procedure that I was burning.  So I have areas that are burned so bad they bleed and blisters.  Urinating is so painful.  I have prescribed burn creme but putting it on is the most painful part.  I wish I would have been told this could happen, its not supposed to according the manufacturer of the machine, but going online I find this is not the case.  Just do a D&C and see how that works for you.  
It is 5/1/2012 - I went in March for the d&c & Novasure when I woke up I was told that my uterus was too small for the Novasure to open (I and my doctor have never heard of this).  I was angry at first, however on April 17th I had the Thermal Hydro ablation done.  My doctor met with representatives from both this company that has this machine and the balloon and they all agreed the Hydro ablation would be the best procedure for my situation. The first day was the most pain.  I have had cramping and pain and a constant pinkish discharge for 2 weeks with some little clots. I am told that I will have to keep track of my next 3 periods (if I have them) and see the doctor again. I am hopeful that this will work.  They do have a new machine that prevents the leakage that was described in an earlier post (I am so sorry that happened to you it is terrible).  I researched and spoke with friends who have had Novasure done and none of them were sucesssful.  After mine was not able to be done they informed me that their uterus's were to big but the doctor did them anyway. The Novasure is a certain size and of course if your uterus is streched from having children it will not reach the entire wall so part of your uterus will not be ablated. I just want to put it out there for anyone who might be looking to have this procedure done to make sure the doctor knows the size of your uterus and if the machine will fit or it will not work for you.  
I forgot to mention that the representative was present at the surgery to make sure that this was done correctly.  
I just had the exact procedure done Friday, May 11, 2012, right after the surgery I had some cramping like menstral cramps, they gave me medicine. i didnt do anything but sleep the rest of the day and most of Saturday because of the anesthesia.  I haven't had any issues as of right now, there was some bleeding but not heavy my doctor said I probably would. I feel fine. Good luck with your procedure. I don't believe you will be dissappointed.
I am confused why your Dr ever recommended for you to have this procedure as it is not recommended for people with endometriosis.  I am not a Dr myself but I would have to say that is the reason for your dramatic results
I had the ablation 5 days ago and so far, I feel great! After the procedure, I did have pretty severe cramping that lasted about 4 hours. (Kinda like labor pains.) Next day, I felt good and by day three, I felt totally normal. Very light bleeding the first day and nothing since. I feel so great that I want to resume sex even though my doctor said to wait 2 weeks. That sounds too long to me when I feel fine. I just hope it works. My periods were horrible. I couldn't go 30 minutes without having to change a super plus tampon.
My procedure is next week.  I've been having second thoughts, but thanks to everyone who posted; I think I'll be fine.  I feel for all of you who have had bad results, but some of your situations are things my doctor has already checked me for because she said those could cause the procedure to not be successful (fibroids for instance).  Also, thanks for posting your ages.  I'm 47.  My doctor says that the older you are when you have the procedure, the more likely you are to have more permanent results -- no more periods.  I'm certainly hoping so.  And i really hope my post op goes as well as some of you had it.  2 days of pain and only a watery discharge sounds like heaven compared to what I have had for the past 4 years.
I had HTA Thursday of last week.  The first 12 hours after the procedure consisted of severe abdominal cramps and then the cramps just stopped.  Now, 3-4 days out, only some minor pink watery discharge, no pain.  i feel great.  Unless things get much worse, i wish i had this done years ago.
Hi All,
I recently had the HTA procdure (6/14/12) so far so good; the procedure itself went well it was quick and painless (more of an uncomfortable feeling that lasted about ten minutes) had few cramps day one to about day four, was back to my gym workout monday morning I am still experiencing discharge, its pinkish with a slite odor, which i'm guessing is normal since my insides are healing and lining is shedding, overall i am happy and hoping that i am one of the women who's period is eliminated all together! i have my two week appointment nxt thurs will post my results!
Hi Connie19, I had mine done two years ago and yesterday I started feeling the ole cramping starting and today.... well there it was.  Moderate, not spotting and a little too bright for my liking.  I too am making an appointment to have my doctor check me out.  I think it's a good idea just to be safe. Let me know how it goes!

Deb
i had the HTA almost 2 weeks ago. Still cramps here & there, but nothing bad. I finally stopped wearing pantyliners, but noticed after I went to the bathroom, there was some pink discharge back. Just not sure when to expect the yellowish discharge, or how soon to be expecting a period? Dr. Said we wouldnt know if it worked until 3-4 months? Anyone else told this?
HI babyd65
My Dr. is setting up a consultaion visit for me with the Ob/gyn to have the endometrial ablation done. I noticed you said you were hoping to get your low iron back in control.Was that the only reason you had it done?
I am 54, still having easy, non-abnormally heavy periods (at 54 still fertile after testing, albeit on the very low end!) and in good health, taking oral contraceptives.  I started having constant, light bleeding between periods even on the pill, so I went in for a check up and ultrasound. Turns out I had a fibroid as well as one polyp which both my GP and GYN felt were causing the bleeding.  Had a Novasure ablation, D&C, and the fibroid/polyp removed on 8/23/12.  I took one Vicaden afterwards but not sure I really needed to take it.   I had some cramping the first 24 hours but after that, felt pretty good.  I'm back to 4 miles a day on the treadmill.  Had some bloating for the first few days but now a week out, it's gone.  I have some light discharge and was told it is normal for 2-4 weeks post op, so I won't know if it's a true success for a few more weeks.  My point in posting is that I had a very easy time with this procedure. I will post an update in a few weeks, but my gut says I will be very pleased I had this done.
I had HTA December 22, 2011. My periods are WORSE!! I was told it's "95%" that you will never experience a period again. Of course I'd be that 5%.
In hindsight, I wish I didn't do it, it would have saved my insurance $21,000 and me 4 days of being down. I am really disappointed with how it went. Nothing changed for the better, I bleed way heavier, more, longer. Total thumbs down!!!
I had an HTA done 4 days ago. This was instead of he Novasure because my cervix & uterus were too small to fit the equipment in to perform that. I had a general anaesthetic so the side-effects from that go without saying. Initially I awoke with the worst trapped wind pain ever & lot's of blood loss all over the sheets etc. I was offered cocodamol & then paracetomol for the pain & buscopan for the bloating. I think the industrial strength buscopan did more good & wish they had given me morphine in recovery, but hindsight is a great thing. After day one & a rough night post operatively with a migraine, probably from dehydration through blood loss, I managed that with migril & syndol. The last few days have been better with a mixture of trapped wind & bad period pains. I find that mild painkillers, heat packs on my abdomen & short walks to shift the wind around help. The bleeding was really heavy for the first couple of days, fresh blood. Now it is easing off to a moderate period & the colour of the blood is slightly darker. I was told to be signed off work for at least 2 weeks as my job as a vet nurse is quite demanding physically with heavy lifting involved. To be fair, the pain & bleeding is not as bad as I thought it would be but I realise everyone is different. I have been told to not resume sexual activity until the discharge stops which is frustrating but understandable, so I don't know about any pain during sex yet. So far so good for me & if it improves my life to how it was before, it's worth it for maybe a week or 2 of pain & discomfort & lot's of TLC from your friends & family!
I had the Novasure ablation done on 8/1/2012.  I had the choice of an in-office procedure with local anesthesia or at the local hospital with general anesthesia.  I chose the in-office procedure because it was cheaper.  In hindsight I should have done it in the hospital.  I was referred from my military treatment facility.  The military treatment facility did my endometrial biopsy and ultrasound, so those were not repeated at the OBGYN.  The ultrasound showed a thick endometrial lining.  When the OBGYN got a good look, she found endometrial polyps.  So she ended up doing and D&C and the Novasure ablation.  The pain was excruciating.  The Dr. said she would stop and we could schedule the ablation in the hospital.  I chose to continue because the ablation lasted on 90 seconds.  

All-in-all things are well.  I still have ovulation pain and bleeding (doctor said this would not go away).  I do have a little spotting, but wear a panty liner.

However, I have two things that are driving me up the wall.  First hair loss.  about a month after my ablation as I was combing my hair, I noticed I have a lot more hair loss, and this is every day.  Even my hair dresser noticed it, and she says my hair feels different.  Second, I do think I have bloating and weight around my stomach that I did not have before.  I have joined Weight Watcher and to date lost 17 lbs, but my middle is not decreasing at all.   I am working out almost six times a week.  

I have not found any forums were people are talking about hair loss.  I'm going to make a follow up appointment with the OBGYN.
I had a uterine ablation about 7 years ago to stop heavy bleeding and anemia. I already have children. My doc did a tubal at the same time. Excellent procedure. I have not bled since then, and I was back to work in a day and a half! I was eating right after I woke up from the procedure. A little gassy for a few days afterwards, but no big deal. I recommend!
I had this procedure 1 month ago in my doctors office fully awake. I am very healthy but had periods every 10-13 days for 6 months. I am 45 and had my tubes tied 11 years ago. My doctor tried putting me on the pill to control the periods but it only made it worse. When she suggested the Nova Sure procedure I was told that I would be on plenty of pain killers, Novocaine and would only feel a bit of pressure and cramping (similar to a post op D&C).
I was told to take antibiotics, lorazapam, ibuprophine and a Vicodin 1 hr. prior to arriving at the office. I was told to arrive at 10am for an 11am procedure so I took the pain killer at 9am. I was "feeling no pain" by the time I got to the office. Then I was immediately given two shots in the butt of toroidal. THEN I WAS LEFT ALONE IN A RECLINER FROM 10:15-1:15.  By the time I was taken in for the actual procedure I HAD NO PAIN KILLERS LEFT IN MY SYSTEM. I told the nurse that the meds had completely wore off. She said hop up on the bed and they started the procedure. I HAVE GOT TO TELL YOU THAT I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED SUCH PAIN IN MY LIFE. IT WAS WORSE THAN THE PEAK OF BACK LABOR. The procedure went on for 12-15 minutes (I was told that the procedure only takes 5 minutes). I TOLD THE OB/GYN THAT I WOULD NEVER HAVE DONE THIS WITHOUT FULL ANESTHESIA HAD I KNOWN THE PAIN WAS THIS EXTREME WITH NO PAIN KILLERS. I left the office still in terrible pain and the tightest cramps you can imagine. It was like my entire torso was contracted. I vomited all the way home in the passenger seat. I crawled to my bed, called for a bucket and continued to vomit for 4 hours almost continuously (my head never left the bucket) . My husband had to call the doctors office for an anti-nausea prescription. I was supposed to be taking additional pain killers when I got home but never even got the chance to swallow one down. The cramps were so bad, that all my abdominal organs were so contracted and so tight that I couldn't even urinate until 8pm (despite the fact that I felt I had to pee). My husband is a paramedic and was ready to start an IV on me because he was afraid that I was completely dehydrated. Six hours after the surgery I was finally able to ingest an anti-nausea pill and a pain killer.
Thank GOD!
The next day I was fine. I returned to work in two days (I had it done on a Friday anyway). I had to wear a panty liner continuously for about 25 days. The minor bleeding stopped after about three days then I began to have an expected puree of pink flesh discharge followed by minor yellow discharge. I haven't had to use a panty liner for the last week. Again, Glad that's over. I got mini cramps this week; like I was going to have my period but I never got one.
SO, I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS PROCEDURE BECAUSE THE OUTCOME SEEMS TO BE WORKING BUT I WOULD NEVER NEVER  DO IT IN A DOCTORS OFFICE AND NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER DO IT WITHOUT FULL ANESTHESIA .

Hi I had the ablation done with the balloon method.  I took 2 paracetamol and 2 ibuprofen.  the first part of the procedure was fine, but when the doctor started to inflate the balloon I could feel the heat.  God it was like labour, sounds silly but I wanted to push!! I have to say though the doctor and her team was nothing but outstanding.  I had the treatment under local anesthetic.  Yes it did hurt for the three minutes whilst the balloon was inside but once I heard the machine go beep beep I knew it was over.  for the first two mornings after I had brownish discharge just like at the end of my period, about a weeks worth of the watery discharge.  today I noticed some more stringy brownish discharge but defo not like a period.  I would highly recommend this procedure.  I appreciate it has only been near 2 weeks but I am hopeful that it will help me - otherwise I will be back on here.
I had the hydro ablation done in February of this year. I had years of heavy bleeding, 7-10 days a month, sometimes every 2-3 weeks. I had never heard of the ablation before and happen to see a brochure while in for my yearly pap.   Procedure went fine, just a lot of dizziness in recovery.  Some cramping that day and then next but nothing a heating pad and ibruprofen didn't take care of.  Also quite a bit of nausea from the anesthesia the day of the procedure.  I had watery discharge for about 3 weeks which a light pad took care of.  In March, when my regular period was to come, it did.  There was a lot of brownish discharge for about a week before the actual bleeding.  It lasted for two days and was not nearly as heavy.  It is now almost July and I have had a period each month.  I still get the cramps and sore breasts but I don't think anything I read or talked to my Dr about said those would go away.  I have the icky brown discharge for 3-4 days(which I never had before) before the actual bleeding starts. The bleeding lasts for about 2 days and isn't as heavy as before.  I admit that I was hoping to never have a period again, especially at 45. I guess what I have now is better than what I had pre-op but a little disappointed.  I haven't had the bloating that others talked about.  Also, on a positive note, my libido seems to be higher than ever.  I don't know if this is from the procedure or coincidence, but it is definitely a plus. Just remember that everyone reacts differently to any procedure.  So, do your homework, talk to your doctor, and make the best decision for you.  If everything stays as is for me, the good outweighs the bad and I would definitely do it again.
I am almost 30 and have had 2 kids I had and endometerial ablation done about 2 months ago to stop my periods. It worked alittle bit I still bleed heavy and still cramp a lot and my dr dnt know wat to do she is saying I might have to have the hystromecy now and that could put me into early menapause which fine with me........I am scared cause my dr also says that because of the ablation I ended up having an infection........she said that the tools may not have been to clean(ooooo just great) that worries me even more
I am scheduled to have the NovaSure as recommended by my doctor due to severe PMDD and failed attempt at treating with Seasonique. I am concerned after reading some of these comments that my emotional symptoms are not going to go away after this procedure. Has anyone else had this surgery to treat PMDD, particularly the emotional aspects? How have you been in regards to depression, anxiety, and the other hormonal effects of periods? My doctor feels if he can eliminate my periods I will have an improved quality of life, but if I still experience the depression, anxiety, and other symptoms of PMDD even without the bleeding, it may not be worth it.
I had it done 8-2013.  I had horrible cramping that day but was fine after that.  I still have heavy bleeding every 15 days followed by watery discharge for the next 5-7 days…  I am still waiting for results, but as time passes, I am thinking I might be one of the 25% that will not have the results I was hoping for - light to no bleeding :(
I had this done on weds have had terrible pain on & off now got pain in my leg thought i be back on my feet by now but no such luck the pain in my leg is worrying though really finding this hard to cope with as i have a autistic daughter who has got a stoma & 2 other daughters to look after i feel hopeless & the pain is keeping me awake at night feels like im in labour all over again
Yes I had the same thing I had it done 3 weeks very little pain but same pinkish watery discharge. But I'm  still very bloated still are you ?
Yes I had it done 3 weeks ago and still bloated a bit of weight gain
Yes I noticed weight gain and very bloated I had it done 3 weeks ago. does it go away??
HI there...I am scheduled for the HTA next week...and just like everyone else, I am nervous, especially after reading all of these horror stories.  It has been some time since you let us know you were having yours done...so I am just wondering what your advice or feelings are now...was it successful?  Did you have this weight gain everyone is talking about?
Thanks for your time!
Had a Thermachoice ablation done in April, 2014.  Very little bleeding/discharge afterward only 5 - 7 days.  However, have had some rectal bleeding for the first couple of weeks (scary!).  Also had high blood pressure and a swollen right foot for approx. 7 weeks.  Almost two months now, no period only pain in legs and back.  Some clots (small) and passing "scabs." Has anyone experienced this - concerned about the swelling still and why the scabbing now?
I had a HTA ablation on 9/12/14 and I was fine until about 2 hours after the procedure. I was at home and I began to experience pain in my lower abdomen unlike I have ever felt in my life. Within about a half and hour I was on the floor rocking and crying with pain I can only describe as a 11 in a scale from 1-10. My husband immediately took me to the hospital and CTSCAN found nothing wrong, but thank God almost as soon as I got there they immediately gave me the first of what eventually became 4 doses of dilantin (a very strong painkiller). The strange thing is though, by the next morning I was almost pain free and everything has been fine since then (just light spotting). Time will tell if the procedure is a success but all I can say was that in my case the post procedure pain was unbearable--so bad that I actually vomited 5 or 6 times from the pain and thought I was going to pass out. Afterwards two physicians told me that my experience with the HTA procedure was not normal and that they had only seen such severe pain on a couple of other occasions.