Endometrial biopsy pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Endometrial biopsy pain

Does anyone know if I can take a vicodin before having an endometrial biopsy? How about xanax? My doctor instructed me to take 3 advil, but from what I've been hearing about the extreme pain (and I have a very low pain threshold), that doesn't do much good at all.
When I had mine my doctor had me to take my prescription pain medications and then with it take 4 motrin, because they were different meds. I had more pressure pain than anything and then some cramping later on. You should call your doctor and ask if you are able to take vicodin before.
Thanks. My appointment is today, so I will take your advice and I'll call her office to make sure it's okay rather than to just assume it is. I was so nervous I was going to take the advil she told me to take plus the vicodin which I take for my arthritis pain only when needed and my xanax which I also take only when needed for extreme anxiety. It does sound like a lot of medication for one procedure, and I guess I don't want to do anything dangerous when combining all of those drugs. Thanks for your input.
How did your biopsy go? I know they aren't the most pleasant thing, but not the worst either. My husband was in the room with me when I had mine done. I was so nervous about it that she made him come sit with me. Did she allow you to take the other meds?
Not nearly as bad as I had expected.I did take my pain meds plus the advil she had told me to take.I also took a Xanax, which I take as needed anyway, but only occasionally. I was a wreck. ItI was painful, but not nearly as bad as I had thought it would be. The one initial "stab" was the worst part, and that was only for a second. She did say to me, though, that I was probably lucky because it was easier for her to do, which probably led to less pain, because my uterus was dropped down so far that she didn't have to go too far to get to it. So, my "problem" uterus, which is what led us to even look at it further than the normal examination, is what turned out making this test less painful than what it might have been otherwise.
Thanks so much for your advice and support....it did help!!
You are quite welcome. I know what going through all this **** is like, I have been through so much in the last 2 years and it all just feels never ending. We all need support through this :)