Enlarged Labia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Enlarged Labia

Hi I'm 24 and am concerned about my Labia. It's huge! It probably hangs an inch and a half out of my vagina. A small bump shows when I wear workout spandex pants and when I wear bathing suits. It's embarressing and it makes me feel so abnormal. I've been with my boyfriend for almost 7 years so obviously he doesn't mind, but it's always in the back of my  mind that he thinks there's something wrong with it too. Both "flaps" are quick thick and they're pretty dangly  ( sorry didn't know any other way to describe it). Is this normal or am I getting elephantitis of the labia?!?! B/c it seems like they keep getting bigger!

Please help!

-Harely 21
This is a problem for a lot of women...there is a cosmetic surgery for this to reduce the size of your labia.  I know doing Keggle exercises (squeeze your vagania, hold for 5-10 seconds, release and repeat).Keggle can be done any time, any place..all day long. good luck.
This fear about vaginal lip size is scary. In a mature woman, they are almost NEVER naturally miniscule! They are that way only (mostly) in pre-pubescent girls!
I would try and learn to love those big lips, if you can. Obviously they can't be a sexual turn-off, or your boyfriend would have run away, and he hasn't!
I once encountered a soft porn webpage (I cannot remember how I chanced upon it now, and have not been able to find it again) But I wish I could post that page everywhere! There were quite tasteful though obviously soft-porn pictures of larger-lipped women showing what they had. Every one of them was proud of their 'dangly bits'!
I don't think it matters whether they are small or large. Whatever, they are an expression of your sexuality and womanhood.
I too have an enlarged labia. I just started noticing it in the past few months and I am almost 30.  I have been trying to figure out what I have been doing the last couple of months to make it get bigger and the only thing I can think of is sex. I have been having a lot of sex with my boyfriend.  I never noticed it until a few months ago and thats when we started dating. My boyfriend before this one, I never had any issues but we werent having sex as much as I am now. The right side is bigger then the left and it protrudes out. I hate it!! Its so annoying, it rubs on my pants sometimes. I have resorted to panty liners now.  I was told it was from too much sex but I have been reading web sites and they all say its not. My gyno said that to have the labia protrude or hang is completely normal BUT I still find it very annoying. I havent had sex with my boyfriend in over a week now because I am so uncomfortable with what is going on. I dont want to resort to surgery. My labia still looks "normal" as far as color and its smooth, I call it bubble gum, but the right side is clearly longer from top to bottom and from in and out. The left side isnt as big BUT the right is higher up then the left. Sometimes it feels like there is pressure building up down there, like blood rushing to it. I have no clue but I am pretty sure it was not this big 5 months ago! I am happy to know I am not alone BUT it still doesnt make it go away, you know?
I have a big labia too. I'm 17 and i've always thought that like i was the only person in the world with it! But it is so so normal. I'm still nervous when i sleep with new people thou cos its like ahh what if they've never even heard of it and go telling their mates about me and calling me "flabby abby!!" But thats just me being stupid and paranoid when theres no reason to be!
It does get annoying when like you go swimming or on holidays and you can see a little lump thing or worry about it popping out! but even if it does chances are theres like 5 other women there with the same thing! x
Men don't care about your size down there girls! They are super excited that they get to have sex with you. Trust me, if a guy actually CARES about the size of your labia to the point where it turns him OFF... you don't want to sleep with him anyway! What a shallow jerk. I put him in the category of men that judge you by your breast size. From my experience, it is a VERY small percentage of men that are that pig-headed. When are we going to just be happy and embrace what we've got? We can't stay pre-pubescent little virgin girls. As we get older... things change. Our body chemistry changes. If we've had a lot of sex, I can imagine that would perhaps..stretch things out a little.. We stretch, expand, shrink, droop, wrinkle and sag because we are REAL women. We don't need to "fix" what aint broken. I have small boobs- not going to say I haven't wished they were a little bigger, but I don't think I NEED bigger boobs to entice men. I don't think I know ANY woman who thinks her labia is attractive. Honestly, I wonder what men think when they go down on me because I know, from what I can see, it aint pretty. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it, I mean its not particularly ugly or anything, but I certainly don't count it as my most attractive feature. When women get this "reconstructive surgery" or as I like to call it, the unecessary labia-tuck, what do they expect to get out of it? My life is going to be perfect now that I have a more attractive labia? I hate the way TV/Movies, the porn industry, and people like howard stern make us feel like there is something wrong with our bodies because its not what THEY consider desirable. Big, uneven, purple, pink, one side longer than the other, dangly... embrace its quirks because its you. And, BTW I know a lot of men that get turned on by the "dangly bits" outline when your lounging in your underwear or wearing a bathing suit.. Men are very visual and it will remind them of sex, and more specifically, sex with you. Trust me, they aren't going to be judging whether or not its too big:)
I did labiaplasty because I saw some ads for it that suggested my labia was not average! They didn't tell me how common it is to have large labia and they didn't tell me there is no standard size since every single person has a different size.
Now that I have done it I look disfigured and I have agonizing pain after 7 month and sex is impossible!

all I needed was some assurance that I was normal and looked like 50% of women.

Until when do we have to Butcher our bodies because of brainwashing of media?
I feel I have an over sized labia, and my co-workers make jokes about women with roast beef for a vagina. Sometimes in the back of my head I try to tell myself that's their preference, but I still seem to consume myself with thought of being abnormal or weird. I wish there was some remedy to shrink it. Surgery is not a choice for me, but I still want to be able to feel confident. I'm already an insecure person.