Excessive Bleeding During Sex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Excessive Bleeding During Sex

Hi there, I have been to a gyne md and to my gp several times about this and they tell me I should not be concerned but I thought I would post this here to see if I should ask for a second opinion since it is quite bothersome.  8 years ago I had an abortion with no acute complications (I was young and in a terrible relationship and am unable to take hormonal birth control. It was a hard decision and still have some regrets but the best one for me under the circumstances).  A few months later I had an copper IUD inserted (the one without the hormones) but had numerous problems with it and sex was painful and I bled bright red blood every time (my partner even said he could feel it with his penis). I had an ultrasound and physical exam and it was determined it was in the right place.  I suffered it out for about 6-8 months and finally had to get it removed.  Once I got it removed I thought things would go back to normal however I still bled the same amount about 80% of the time after sex (although it was a much more enjoyable experience).  He wasn't by any stretch of the imagination considered large, he was average to small.  We broke up and was not having sex regularly so I didnt have any problems.  Once I started dating again I tested out some different sized blokes and noticed the smaller dudes did not make me bleed as much and the average to bigger ones did. Certain angles also made me bleed more often (e.g me on top). It is quite uncomfortable, especially now that I have a steady partner who is above average.  We aren't having rough sex either.  I dont have any STI's or STD's.  When I went to my gynecologist he did all the tests and I had a colposcopy and biopsies and everything which were all negative.  Are there any additional imaging or tests you recommend I should ask for?  The only thing my gynecologist done was cauterized my cervix which he said would decrease the amount of bleeding for a period of time.  This did work for a month or so but now its back to bleeding (so much so that I have to wear a pad for up to two days of light bleeding sometimes).  The blood is currently sometimes bright red and sometimes brownish red.    I hope this doesnt affect my ability to conceive in the future. Should I just continue to get my cervix cauterized? What are the long term effects of this?   Help. I would greatly appreciate all your feedback both medical and from personal experience. I see a lot of posts online about this but mostly relating to one-time experiences.

I had heavy bleeding with my copper IUD for about a year, I guess.  I just left it alone and it finally calmed down.  It was still the easiest birth control for me.  I don't have any suggestions.  Sorry.  
Thanks for your reply.  Help or not. It's nice to know I'm not alone.
This condition is called post coital bleeding. It is most commonly seen in vaginal infection like Chlamydia, gonorrhea, vaginal inflammation etc. it could also be due to disease of endometrium that is lining of uterus, polyps (mass) in uterus and cervix, fibroid tumors etc. You should consult an expert nearby for internal examinations and get any cervical polyps or mass ruled out. A colposcopy should also be done to determine the cause.

Cervical cautery is generally performed for minor pre cancerous changes on the cervix or to reduce discharge and bleeding from an ectropion on the cervix. It should not be done repeatedly.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you Dr. Kaur for your helpful response.  I await a GP appt for yet another referral. I will ask for a repeat of all these tests and go from there. Will update once I get the results.