External Yeast Infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

External Yeast Infection

1st of this month I got a yeast infection...itching, smelled like yeast. I treated with Monistat 3day but it got worse. I saw urgent care doc (I was going on vacation & couldn't get an appointment w/pcp). He did a urine test & said I had UTI. Since I have had UTIs before I told him I didn't think that was it. He prescribed cipro &, b/c I pushed him about the yeast, diflucan. He did not do an exam. I didn't take the cipro b/c I feared yeast would get worse. I had to drive for 2 days for outr trip & since the diflucan had dizziness warning, I waited to take it til I was at destination. By then, the internal itching was gone but I still had an area of itchiness on the top of my labia. I took the diflucan...but it still itched. When I returned home a week later, I made an appt with pcp. During the week that I had to wait to see her, the external itchiness continued and some days I felt itchy inside as well. Finally, I saw the pcp...she did an exam & said I had an external yeast infection. She tested my sugar which was 100 (ok). She prescribed lamisil and told me to use an otc and apply it to the external areas. So, I have been taking the lamisil now for 5 days and treating with Gyne-Lotrimin and my symptoms seem to be better when I wake, but by the end of the day, my whole labia itches. I am taking acidophilus & cranberry gelcaps. I am mother of 2...no partners except my husband. I am currently weaning my youngest so I guess my hormones could be out of whack. I have been dealing with this for a month now an am going crazy! My groin lymph nodes are very tender. Any suggestions
Is your PCP an OBGYN?  If not, I'd go to one.  If so, go back and tell her you're not getting any better.

In the meantime, is there anything different you're doing?  Change laundry detergent recently?  Change your soap?  Are you spraying with any feminine sprays?  Using any different type of lube for sex?  

I've also heard somewhere that there are different kinds of yeast, and some need to be treated with different types of antifungals.  
This is just a wild guess, though.  Go back to your OBGYN if you arent getting better.
My pcp is not an OB. I already had a yearly check up scheduled with my pcp for tomorrow so I am going to go and see what happens. If she has nothing to offer, I will make an OB appt.

I have not been using any new detergents, soaps, etc and I don't douche or use fem spray. The only thing I can guess is swimming alot...in June and July I was taking my boys to the pool 3-5 times per week. And I live in GA so it's super hot.

Thanks for your comments!
How did your itchiness resolve itself?  What did it turn out to be?
I'm having very similar symptoms, but mine have lasted 2 months or more, as my daughter was being weaned.  And a mother friend of mine, whose daughter is also gradually weaning, is having almost identical symptoms.
We live in Romania so don't have access to many of the more natural remedies that might be available in the States.  
We're grateful for any input you can give.  Especially if weaning was connected.
Thank you.  
I am so glad to hear that I am not the only person going through this type of irritating situation in which I call the never ending yeast infection. It is pure torture!! To make things worse, I am seven months pregnant, so my OB will only allow me to take over the counter meds which help...NOT AT ALL!!
I told my OB that there are days that I feel like "cutting my cooch out of my body" b/c I am soooooooo irritated!!
I have no clue what to do!!
It will go away for about a week, then lo and behold, it comes back with what seems to be a vengeance!!
Any suggestions for a pregnant woman would be greatly appreciated!!
I had the same problem for about a year, when I finally decided to go see my OB-GYN.  Turned out to be LICHEN SCLEROSUS.  She said it is something she sees quite often.  She said many pcp's are not even aware of this and they keep treating the patient for a yeast infection.  LS can be treated but it is something you will have for your lifetime once you get it.  It is thought to possibly be an autoimmune disease, but not yet proven, as I understand.  It goes dormant after treatment and then will resurface.  If left untreated it can cause scarring and a lot worse.  GOOD LUCK!!