Extreme vaginal itching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Extreme vaginal itching

I started taking birth control about a year ago to help with period regulation and, well, not getting pregnant.  Over the last year I've had about 6 or 7 yeast infections, and I know that's not normal.  I haven't had one for about 2 months now, but recently I've been having EXTREME itching, burning, and just plain awful sensations on just the outside area.  I haven't had sex because my fiancee refuses to use a condom, so I don't think that is irritating it.  I've also been waiting for that telltale  cottage cheese like discharge, but it's been two weeks and I haven't seen it.  I can't afford to go the doctor for awhile, and I'm to the point where I can barely walk.  Help me please!
There was a similar problem of a girl that I have replied to already today...i know exactly what you're going through...my best advise is to go to the chemist and get some canesten cream and some camomille soothing cream, the chemist can advise you further, after I took it it went away after a few days...don't worry, it'll pass, however in my experience it will come up from time to time, so react quickly when it does so the irritation won't get strong. As for having intercourse, in my experience unfortunately it makes things a little worse, (the rubbing) so I don't know if it's anything directly related to that..but it happens to many of us women, cheer up, smile and use canesten!Ok? take care..
Hormonal birth control can certainly trigger yeast infections. I had one just about every month for the entire nine years I was on the pill, lol. However, I'd suggest starting with seeing your doctor to make sure it really IS a yeast infection, because it could very well be something else. I'd make an appt now, while you're experiencing these symptoms.

I was also a little confused by the condom comment. Do you just want him to use a condom as backup birth control? Have both of you been tested for all STDs?
thanks for the advice.  Yes, neither of us have any STD's, and he's my first partner.  I read somewhere that having sex without a condom can irritate the skin or lining, and I thought that maybe if he were to use one, it would help.
No, having intercourse without a condom isn't more irritating at all. Where did you hear that? Which reminds me, sometimes women on hormonal birth control don't lubricate that well, even when very aroused. THAT can be very irritating, so it's a good idea to always use waterbased lube as well.

But I do think this is definitely worthy of a doctor's visit. Before you keep treating a maybe yeast infection with OTC stuff, see your doctor to be sure it really IS yeast.
hey, sorry for your discomfort.  i experienced the same thing.  never had any discharge.  but all the symptoms sound the same.  i have lichen sclerosis.  all the symptoms of a yeast infection, without the yeast.  if you get to a doctor, maybe mention it.  also talk to your mother, sister, aunt and ask them if they might have lichen sclerosis.  my mother has it...its inherited.  its not contagious.  its not a serious disorder, but its very annoying.  i'm not saying that you have lichen sclerosis but its more common then people know.  so ask your doctor.  hope everything gets better and clears up.  

Kayla
There is more than one strain of yeast out there. Many are resistant to the over the counter drugs available. If you are getting more than an occasional (1x/yr) yeast infection, you need to get the yeast strain typed to determine what drugs it may be resistant to.  Especially since you  have repeatedly treated with monistat only to have the infection recur.

As for the bcp causing the yeast, there if very little scientific evidence to back this up. I've spoken with a health care professional who has seen well over 1000 patients in a vulvar/vaginal clinic and she said she only had 2 patients that cleared up at the same time they stopped bcps. I also have found no evidence in the scientifc literature out there that has found a true causal link.

Not all yeast strains act alike, so you may not get the 'cottage cheese' discharge. There is also a good possiblity that you don't have a yeast infection but some sort of bacterial infection.  Don't try to diagnose/treat this yourself. It really is best if you see a doctor while the symptoms are extreme.

Do yourself a favor and just forget about sex until you are fully healed.  It makes no sense to have sex when things start to feel better only to irritate the tissue again. Your vaginal tissues need to reset themselves back to normal.

Resistant yeast are a royal pain, but there is hope. Get to a doctor as soon as you can. The sooner you try a new treatment, they closer you will be to symptom free.
I agree that it probably is a yeast infection. (You said you took monistat, did you just use the topical solution, or did you use it intra vaginaly too? - Try the pill form for day time)

I just thought I would throw it out there that it might be worth a try to change soap and/or laundry detergent, as I have heard of people having similar reactions in that very sensitive area because of an alergic (allergic) reaction.
Well he'll be happy to hear that! :)  I don't think it's yeast either, because I would use the monistat, and in about a week or two the symptoms would come right back.  Thanks for the advice! :)
The never ending itch fest continues.  After seeing doctors and trying everything possible out there I have run out of ideas.  There has got to be a way to find out what is going on and why.  I have changed detergency, soaps, dryer sheets, shaving, not shaving, cotton, not cotton, looser clothes, airing out, washing more, washing less...nothing.  This needs to be dealt with before it causes serious damage, suggestions?  Thx.  K
FroggyPink, because of your post, I discovered what I have been struggling with on and off for years!

"Lichen Sclerosus"

Thank you so much for putting a name to my terrible disorder. All my doctors were just telling me that it was a simple vaginal yeast infection, but it's NOT! And that's why the infection creams never worked!

"The condition most commonly occurs on the vulva and around the anus with ivory-white elevations that may be flat and glistening. There may be marked itching or the condition may be without any symptoms. There may also be thinning and shrinkage of the genital area that may make coitus, urination and defecation"

Other symptoms are:

•Itching (very common)
•Discomfort or pain
•Bleeding
•Blisters

Wow, again, thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. If anyone has any questions or updates, please feel free to email me at ***@****.