Extremely itchy labia near vagina, no discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Ok, so I've been putting up with on again, off again itching for months on my labia, near my vaginal opening. Never "diagnosed" with HPV but I did get rid of a suspected wart this past year. Can you have a bacterial infection without discharge? It drives me CRAZY sometimes, the only thing that calms it is gold bond ointment, which is minty and refreshing but I'd like no itch. No "rash" that I can see, unless I give in and scratch. I take cranberry supplements to keep me flushed out for a UTI, which I was treated for last year. My doctor is unsupportive, and unhelpful-told me was due to regrowth from not getting waxed. I just want some facts to arm myself with before trying the doc (new doc) office again.

Any suggestions?? All you cooch experts feel free to speculate.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
ive had bv twice it was always accompanied w/ discharge, but no itching. sometimes a yeast infection can occour on the outside and cause a rash and of course itch! but hey, im no "cooch" expert!lol
Yeah. Well that's what I hope-related to some kind of yeast thing, and not HPV-which would mean I have to wait until it runs it's course with me. My doctor actually told me to stick with the gold bond if it works, but that's treating the symptoms...sigh. I just had a run of anti biotics after a surgery, wouldn't that take care of any kind of BI/yeast/uti??
antibiotics that are prescribed spec. 4 bv will only treat bv diffrent antibiotics only work for the ailment theyre prescribed 4 however ant/bio will alot of times cause a yeast infection. they even cause a yeast infection in my mouth sometimes!
It sounds to me like you have a yeast infection and its a good probability its from the antiobiotics.  Antibiotics kill off the good and bad bacteria and when the good bacteria aren't there yeast can thrive.  Go to the store and pick up monistat (at least the 5 or 7 day one) or give a call into your doc for diflucan.
Ok, except that I've had it longer than the anti biotics..
it may just be dry. i'm no doc., but just try this. it workes for me. wet a warm wash cloth - put it in between your legs tonight and go to sleep. Let me know if it feels better in the morning. I don't know what it is, what causes it or anything like that. it's just what i do and it workd.
Beleive it or not, what soothes it is an orgasm? Weird....
Ask doctor about Lichen Sclerosis. I found out I had it after years ofd the same thing. Never heard of it or knew about it. Look it up on the web and see if you have some other symptoms!
Also check out vulvodynia. Some women state that itching was one of the main symptoms that they started with.  If you suspect yeast at all from the taking the antibiotics, I really recommend getting a swab cultured first. If you go and start treating yourself without a diagnosis, this could really lead to a life of pain and discomfort.  Those treatments are harsh and cause destruction of sensitive tissues. Constant irritation can and does lead to painful vulvar symptoms.
I don't really suspect yeast, but I will go to the doctor and get cultures done, and post any results on here. The vulvodynia stuff was interesting, I will mention it as well except I don't have pain, just itching-from the entrance (but not in) of the vagina down towards the anus.
What ever happened with this?  I too have the exact same thing.  I have experienced yeast infections before and this seems different.  I have no discharge, just itching and a little burning (probably from scratching).  It started at my anus, I think?  I'm trying to think what I have done differently?  I'm not going to the doctor unless I have to.  They are usually a waste of my $.
I am having the same symptoms, and I am currently taking an antibiotic - I am not having any discharge or abnormal smells, just the crazy itching & the burning from the scratching.  Please tell us what you've discovered!
did you ever find anything out?
I have this as well... Its random ithching. Just whenever it wants to come around.  Sometimes after I pee it feels like it may be a UTI. Although I got MORE antibiotics for that and it didn't help. The doctor gave me a pill before ands after my antibiotic treatments just to make sure the "yeast" would go away but it didn't.  Look up thrush and see if these are the same symptoms you all are having. This could be the answer.
I also have extreme itching around my vaginal area.  I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a yeast infection.  The doctor prescribed divulcan, but I still have the itch.  I can't sleep at night because of the itching.  Is there anything over the counter that will help allieviate this torture.  
I have the same situation.  It started a little while after I gave birth.  It is only an itchy inner labia.  No other side affects.  I was tested for a yeast and bacteria infections.  My ob-gyn has no clue (I went to 2).  It comes and goes and is itchy!!  I can not figure this out!!!
Oh wow!!  This is just crazy.  I'm having the same thing.  JUST ITCHING!!  Why can't any doctor figure this out and help us.  It seems like it should be easy to diagnose.  I've been to my OBGYN twice with no success from the creams he gave me, including estrogen cream.  I'm so frustrated I either want to go to another doc or not go back at all.
I am having the same thing now.  My boyfriend and I had sex yesterday and I, almost instantly, started having this water-like substance (no odor), come out of me.  Along with a serious uncomfortable itch.  At first I thought that the sex may have been too rough, or a weird angle or something and I just irritated myself.  I managed to get 2 1/2 or so hours of sleep last night because the itch is so unbearable.  But now the next day, the watery substance is gone, but the irritation is more prominent.  I've had yeast infections before, so I'm positive this isn't one.  And the boy and I are both monogomous and have been together for 2 years.  I have no symptoms other than the itch.  And it doesn't even burn when I pee.  I'm seriously at a loss, and cannot find anything online to help.
I've just begun to have these symptoms 1 week ago. The itching is only at night though... it begins at around 8pm every night, and there is little to no itching in the day. I have also had yeast infections before and this is definitely not one. I am also in a monogamous relationship so STD's are out of the question.

I haven't called my doctor yet but I have been using hydrocortisone cream and it is a God send. It really helps me move on and be productive and sleep and such.

Recent changes in my life: 2 weeks ago I started Wellbutrin, 6 weeks ago I got a hormonal IUD put in- I wonder if this is a side effect of either? With the IUD situation, I was on my period for about 5 weeks and pretty much right after I stopped my period the itching began...
ok, my itch started in the anal area about a week ago. now, that's subsided and the itch is now outside the vaginal area. like the other comment before, an orgasm relieves it! the itch occurs before going to sleep and then in the middle of the night. there is no odor, no burn, no discharge - just severe itching. my doctor did tests - no yeast. she suggested it may be PINWORMS. apparently, the worms hatch eggs at night, that's why it's so damn itchy. and they can crawl up from the anus to the vagina.
If anyone has found a solution or an answer to this problem, PLEASE POST IT! I've had this condition for 3 years and I'm at my wits end. It is NOT a yeast infection. The first time I started feeling the itch was after I had a miscarriage. It tends to get worse just before my period. In the beginning it was only at night... but now it can happen any time during the day, too. I have a feeling hormones have something to do with it.
I have also had these symptoms for the last 4 years or so.

I wonder if it could have something to do with taking the pill for a 90 day cycle? So it could be hormonal? Anyone on hormone replacement pills when this started?

Or it could be an allergy to detergent?

Comes and goes, I don't have yeast inf or hpv. No discharge. If I suffer the itchiness wo scratching, it goes away. If I scratch it's worse. Married for 7 years
having the same problem as everyone here.  it comes and goes and my GYN does not know what it is.  i thought i was wiping too hard but that isn't it.  it isn't a lubricant problem.  someone mentioned Pinworm...i had pinworm as a kid...it's not pinworm.  you will know when you have something that horrible.  i don't have STDs.

i switched from a 30 day BC to a 90 day BC earlier in 2008.  my symptoms didn't start until Oct 2008.  maybe the 90 day BC pill keeps that area of the body from having it's typical blood supply.  maybe that part of the body is indirectly affected somehow during a normal cycle.  i'm not a doc so i don't know.  but no one else seems to have an answer.

anyway, baby power helps for me.  
I've researched this on some other sites.  a few ladies are saying this is a type of yeast infection and while many have ruled it out because they don't have the typical symptoms, they have tried anti-fungal steroid cream or anti-yeast cream and have had success getting their cuts, itchiness, or whatever to go away and stay away.

all the other ladies are also saying their doctors don't have a clue.  they are otherwise healthy women.  one lady suggested swabbing the area with rubbing alcohol (it worked for her).  ouch!  no thanks!

i don't have the symptoms of a yeast infection but I'm going to give one of these creams a shot, nothing else is working.  I'll report back in a while with my results.
i hav recently got this got this its strange .
i no its not an std as been with my bf for over two years
it started in the anal area few weeks ago and at nite its so itchy near my vagina hole and on labia its beginnig to drive my insane cos i hav to itch it .
please help me !
Googling my symptoms brought me here and I am so glad to at least have found people with the same issue!! My itching and irritation coincided with a very heavy period (changing tampons every 2 hours, which is unusual for me) and a 30 minute sex romp in a hottub/spa with my husband. I chalked it up to irritation but weeks later it's unbearable.

I've come up clean for STDs, yeast, trichomoniasis and anything bacterial.

WHAT HAS HELPED:
*Every morning before my shower I fill the tub with about 6" of warm (not hot) water. Add 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 1/4 cup of salt. Sit with knees apart for a few minutes. Then I turn on the shower and shower as usual.
*I avoid soaps in my vaginal area. I use baby wipes for sensitive skin around my anus and labia before showering and just dont use soaps on that area.
*I use same baby wipes after sex.
*I've been wearing looser, cotton only panties (BORING!) and avoiding thongs at all costs. Love thongs but how unsanitary, really!?
*When it's really awful I use hydrocortisone cream but try not to use it often, as it's petroleum base can provide a good place for yeast to grow.
*if Im going to be having sex, going in the hottub or getting my period, I "prepare" by using a tiny bit of zinc (Desitin diaper cream, actually!) on my labia, to protect the delicate tissue.

These things have made a huge difference for me. I wish I had an answer :(
A correction: I dont do the vinegar and salt everyday! I meant to say once a week or so before my shower.
Same issues for almost 2 yrs. I'm 33 and symptoms started after birth of 2nd child and when I had IUD put in.  I have been married for years, regardless have had STD tests, regular pap,  have gone in several times, diagnosis, I look healthy and fine, returned to dr. again, then tested positive for yeast, treated, fine for a week and then the itch has returned.  Returned to dr. again diagnosis;  nothing wrong,returned again; tested positive for bacterial vagninosis,  finally had IUD taken out as I thought this the culprit...good for one month, now back to same itch, small amounts of regular discharge, no smell, went back and tested negative for yeast and bacterial vagninosis.  It is worse at night. Changed soap, detergent, cotton underwear, airing out at night but continue to struggle.  Sometimes looks like when a little tissue gets stuck, but dissolves in fingers, but not cheesy like yeast infections.  Making another dr. appointment at a new place with new dr. w/ hopes for diagnosis, relief.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
One more thing.

I also get little cuts right about my clitoris when this occurs, like after a day of snowboarding on the mountain when its really cold and you forget chapstick but downstairs.  Anyone else? Thanks
You guys too? Gads...what the hell is it? It is NOT a yeast or STD etc as I too have been checked for all that. Never even had an STD.
I am menopausal age, so I thought maybe it was hormones? It has been happening for me for years too and I am at my wits end also!
Just knowing there are others out there feeling as I do does help my spirits. But I also feel bad that you guys are suffering like me!
Anyways...I notice an odd smell, not like an infection (had those years ago) I can't quite describe it, but it is NOT coming from the inside. It is almost...well...a chemical smell, for lack of a better term. Nothing ordinary and odd, because it is only external.
Someone HAS to know hoe to help us! Right?
I will keep you guys posted, I am going back to the GYN for another round of testing.
I too have changed body washes etc, to no avail. I am going try the baby wipe thing for sure.
Thanks for being open about this girls!  I was afraid to say anything until my beautiful sisters showed me it was safe.
Namaste'
yes on the chapped lip symtoms (symptoms)! that is a GREAT analogy mammaj!!
Sorry to hear your suffering as well.  You just struck something with the menopausal age and hormones though and I'm wondering if this could be part of my problem.  When I was younger I was on every type of birth control possible and was unable to be on any of the pills, my hormones fluctuated so much and I suffered from severe migraines, and all made me physically ill with what I could only describe as morning sickness, without being pregnant. I did Depoprovera and was fine for a couple of yrs and then had the same issues.  Both of my pregnancies with the hormone fluctuations were truely miserable, very sick very sick, bells palsy and even a couple of small strokes....my experience with birth control should have let me know pregnancy would be hell.  Anyhow, made it through that and after suffering from migraines (diagnosed during pregnancy as complex migraines and was informed I should have never and should never again be on any kind of hormonal birth control) since the age of 8, they stopped after the births of each child.  Now I wonder if the hormone fluctuations that lead to the many migraines and issues I had w/ birth control previously could be a new issue with the change in hormones and the itchy labia problems I am currently having.  

Ladies, did your issues below occur with a birth control change, birth, menopause, hormone altering medication?  Just trying to narrow and figure these things out and be well equipped when I head to dr.  Thanks
I was never on any birth control. and I do not take any kind of hormone replacement. I just have NO clue what so ever. But you know, lately I have been wondering if it isn't something from my urine that is causing it?
Is that possible do you think?
Perhaps too much acid, ph balance off?  Could be urine or normal discharge? Another though I had also.  I just dont know gal. We shall keep researching and brain storming.
i wa also googling because i could not take it any longer. Come to find out there are lots of us out there that suffer in this manner.  Mine started 6wks ago and i feel as if i'm on fire constantly down there. baby wipes check, yeast check, whatever it took for me to get to the bottom of this mystery, i've tried. venegar, salt, witch hazel WHATEVER!!! There is no discharge just this itch, burning sensation and when i get a fit of it it robs me of my sleep and now it is trying to embarras me by acting up in public. HELPPPP!!!
I too have had the same issue: an itch between my labia minora and majora. I am on birth control but have been on it for years and this is the first time I have had this problem. I also get same "chapped lips" or rather, cuts. Anti-itch cream is a life saver! But I do not want to depend on it. I do not want to suffer through the Dr if she is going to be as unhelpful as everyone has said. I have changed soaps as well but that does not seem to be related. Don't think it could be urine that is causing it b/c urine does not hit that area. No hormone altering medication or menopause or change in birth control. There is no change in discharge or smell. I will keep ya'll posted on what I find.  
Hi Guys....FYI
There is another itch scratch thread here with lots of great info. It is a lot to wade through, but maybe y'all can find something to help.
I have been having these symptons for a while now and have vistied three gynae. and got no relief. Is like all they was treating me for was a yeast infection. However my hubby went to the pharmacy and the pharmacist there recommended "lotrisone*Cream" I havr been using it and have gotten some relief. I still have a week again to use it to see if the itching stops completely. I am thankful cause i was fed up of all the money being spent and i can get the smallest progress in stopping the itching.
He also said that sometimes the detergents we use to wash our underwears can cause these irritations. I am not specialist...and i cannot put my head on a block for it but its worth a try...
Ask yor doctor................Hope this helps.....
1. I have had the itching just on the labia majora for about 2 years
2. No discharge, no other symptoms - just the itch. Although, sometimes a little bit of incontinence post deliveries (so I thought it may have been to do with urine)
3. I skip my periods with the pill (Yasmin). Usually 3 months before I have a period so I also thought it might be related to this.
4. I get a brazilian wax - thought this may help.
5. I have had the same partner for over 20 years.
IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!
Sometimes I put a couple of drop of tea tree oil onto a tampon and wear it for a few hours. This does seem to temporarily help but I have no itch on the inside just the majora. And I had thrush years ago and this isn't thrush as there is no discharge.
6. My husband doesn't have any itching.
7. I use anti-fungal cream. Bepanthen. These seem to help temporarily but then it comes straight back after 2-24hrs.
I will try the vinegar and salt thing today and see if it works. I have heard of people being prescribed Ovestin cream but I haven't used this.
LET"S WORK THIS OUT. I AM SO SICK OF IT!
Ok - so what I did was I thought - if it is bacterial ie as a result of hairs etc and maybe a drop of urine etc causing growth of bacteria, I decided to use a little sitz bath wash with warm water with some detol in it. Did this and then put some antibactial powder on it. It went itchy like crazy!
Then I put some antifungal cream and it went away completely.
So what I will do next week is get a full course of antifungal cream (the overnight one isn't as effective) and take this and see what happens. Maybe the tea tree and use of the cream just happens to keep the discharge at bay but doesn't get rid of it completely.
I have also found that if I start to scratch it gets worse - so much so I have to scratch - driving me crazy! Will let you know after next week...
i hope i'm not offending u but what if there is no discharge. i have absolutely none.my problem is the itching, especially on my right side of my "lip". it feels as if bugs are scurrying under my skin.
I have no discharge either - none! It just feels itchy on the outer 'lips'. Not fully outside - just the first fold inside.And if I itch it gets extremely itchy.
I don't have any itch around the anus either - just what I think is the labia majora.
I am trying a full course of Canesten anyway - just to see if it goes away. I was thinking that maybe I have thrush internally and the discharge isn't there because I am using tea tree etc and keeping it at bay.
I am really not sure but just trying everything I can think of!
Let me know if you get any results with anything and I will keep you posted of any changes.
I had the same problem with the itching and I used a pill named Periton.I bought it in Trinidad for 0.25cts and I used a cream named Lotrisone which I got for 82.50 and the itching went away completely after about 10mins. The good thing is that i stopped the cream an pill and I have no signs of the itching. After spending over 2000.00 in doctor bills and no relief a pharamcist recommended these two products and i thank him for the relief. I am not sure if you all wanna try this and see what happens. Also try washing underwears separately and with a softener instead of harsh soap powders....I hope this helps.................
It could be is eczema.  I've had discoid eczema for about two years, and have just recently begun itching in and around my outer "lip" area.  I have been using cocoa butter and coal tar cream "extremely sparingly" and it seems to help.  This could explain not having any other symptoms other then the itching.
i have recently relocated from the US and canand to jamaica, i thought maybe the climate changes had something to do with my situation, but i'm at a location of the island that requires comforters at night. it is cool and breezy. no fans nor ac is required, put it that way. so along with the canesten i add a little bleach to my buff puff or bathing rag and things are minimized by about 10%. might not seem like alot, but it buys time for you to regain some sanity.
I started itching in the external Vaginal area about 5 weeks ago. I started 3 days before period and stopped while I had my period as soon as the period stopped the itching started again. I thought it might be a yeast infection (even though there was no discharge) took 3 day treatment no itching and when treatment was over it came right back. The itching happens through the day off and on. I can go a day or two with no itching and then it comes back. I went to the Doctor and she found nothing. Her words "I don't know what it is" she told me to not have intercourse for 5 days use cortisone off brand 2x daily wash with fingers tips(which I do) with celaphil and use Virgin Olive Oil for lube. Still have the itch 5 days later with my period. She told me to call her back if it doesn't go away, but sounds like everyone has been trying doctors and they don't know. My husband suggested bathing in Iodine. I am going to try it tonight. I CAN"T TAKE IT! I have changed soaps and detergent do not use Birth control had a child 18 months ago stopped nursing 4 months ago. Married 7 yrs no other partners no history of any health issues. Thought it could be atrophic vaginitis, but dr didn't seem to think so. The only thing that stops it from itching all day is anti itch cream like vagasil.
I have had the same thing. I have never had sex before so STD is out of the picture. I have itching on my labia majora, it is like dry skin, it is mostly around my vagina, but sometimes my anus too. I was wondering if I could be so dry from using tampons, and then the string irritates my skin, i do have very sensitive skin. I have tried anti-fungal cream, and preparation H, i am now trying cortisone anti-itch cream. I just don't know what it could be if nothing has been down there. I am not on birth contol or any antibiotics, it just appeared one day. I just want relief, it is an embarrassing problem to have at my age. :(

I pretty positive I have found my answer and I hope it help all of you ladies.  I had skin issues, allergies to soaps, detergents, foods, etc. when I was a kid and had issues with being red and irritated below.  These faded as I got older.  After having my first daughter, we bought a house in mexico.  My skin would get really dry, cracked rashy, going from the cold of the state of washington to the warm and humidity of mexico.  I got a rash under my watch one trip down there and was diagnosed with eczema, I got on a cream and the rash no longer appears, my wrist just really wrinkly and it seems to be when the weather changes, or when I'm stressed.  Then we took another couple of trips and my feet and hands became extremely dry, cracked, the crease in my ear lobes, around my nose sides of my mouth would crack.  Skin literally seemed to fall off of my face when i got off of the plane from Mexico to WA and it wasnt from a sunburn.  During this time, the last 2.5 yrs I have had the itch below....details described in a post above I listed a few months ago.  I did the detergent, soap change, cotton underwear etc. and the itch comes and goes for 2.5 yrs.  Anyhow, after an itchy night again...I went on line and found this website and it seems to explain me to a t. http://www.mydr.com.au/womens-health/vulval-problems-a-self-help-guide

What I thought was t.p, cant be, I use sensitive wipes, is my skin peeling down below, as the website above describes, the reason no one can find anything wrong is usually because gyno's aren't trained in skin conditions, just disease issues therefore they wouldnt no what to look for, you would need to go to a dermatologist.  I am positive the eczema which has plagued other areas of my body is now down below and I started using the cream I use for my eczema down below and I'm proud to say after a small sting, the itch has stopped and I had a wonderful sleep last night. I really hope this helps you other ladies out. Let me know Ok.

http://www.mydr.com.au/womens-health/vulval-problems-a-self-help-guide
ive been having that itching burning feeling without the discharge for about a week now.but before that it started of just being dry and my skin cracking if i opened up my lips just a bit, even to wipe. First i was just putting a wet cloth on my labia, then i went to go get vagisil for dryness and itchiness and that burned like crazy, then it just started to make all my skin peel off and my labia develope some sort of white stuff or something like that. So i switched it over to lamisil for jock itch. And right now it is working pretty good. I woke up in the middle of the night cause it just hurts that bad.
I also am having ALL of the symptoms reported.  I have had these itchies for a few years now.  They can almost drive you crazy.  Basically though it is the inner labia's that itch.  No discharge and no odor.  I do remember the anus being a bit itchy as well.  But basically it is the labia.  No STD, just a diabetic.  Which I thought was the answer to the problem.  But I really don't believe so.  I can definately agree with the chapped lips cuts as well.  I use anti itch powder, just a little relief though.  I do believe I have vaginal dryness and I am sure the powder don't help that at all.  I was precribed an antibiotic for this type of itching that starts with a "T" sorry I forgot the name.  It didn't help anyways.  My problem with this, and I hope I am not out of line here, but my husband REALLY enjoys oral sex.  This hasn't been done for a long time now and it may be interfering with my sex life.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  Orgasms is a temporary itch solution, but I just don't know what to do.  I do shave and this is the worst!  I found that when the hairs start to grow back, the wiskers will drive you nuts.  So now we have the itching, irritation from scratching and cuts, the regrowing of hairs and swelling from the rubbing and a husband who can't get his way.  HHHEEELLLPP!
Okay hello!!! I am so glad I found you guys.  I am in the same boat and am going nuts.  I have been itching constantly for three months straight and it is starting to overtake my life.  Plus I'm married and this kind of a problem is so unbelievably awful while trying to deal with a sex life.  As you guys know!  However, I do have some info that may help a little.  I have been to the gyno twice now and she was not that helpful.  I'm beginning to see a pattern here of gyno's not being able to help with this sort of thing.  First of all, for those whom have not been yet, IT IS NOT A YEAST INFECTION.  Those go away, and ALWAYS have a discharge and/or odor associated with them.  I have had many before and have also now been tested.  I looked up vulvodynia online and personally had almost all of those symptoms.  My doctor recommended most of the things on this website as well and I highly recommend all of them myself.  They don't stop the problem, nothing does, but it helps.  Also, I have decided to start doing acupuncture.  It solves all sorts of strange things and this problem is supposedly untreatable and could last for years.  Just wanted to throw my new idea out there in case it helps anyone else.  Will let you know if it helps.  I'm also now on a really high estrogen birth control.  I've heard that's not the healthiest route but will let you know if that works as well in case anyone's interested.  Lastly, I know gyno's are so much money but I think it would rule out sooo much to just go once.  I was tested for everything and was told absolutely nothing at all was wrong physically.  In other words yeast, skin diseases, dryness, wetness, hair, etc. other weird things were all ruled out.  Yes, it didn't help to fix it but it did make me stop using creams and medications and start changing my life in the ways I need to to fix this horrible, HORRIBLE problem.  Yuk.  Well it felt good to get all of this out there.
I have managed the itch for the last 4 weeks with PIRITON tablets (antihistamine: chlorophenamine) which I am taking one every 5 hours, frequent cleaning (every 2 hours) of the area with Aqueous Cream BP (+ covering the area with the cream) and using the pantyliners.
These actions reduced the itch by %80.
then I had my appointment after 2 month of waiting:
She assumed it is Lichen Planus but I'll have a biopsy soon to diagnose it. I'll let you know about the result.
Please read this scientific article which is about treatment of different problems of the area (the vulvae itch can be caused by different factors):

An approach to the treatment of anogenital pruritus by Gabriele E. Weichert
Dermatologic therapy (ISSN: 13960296) Vol 17, 2004 129-133

Best wishes,
I'm so glad I found you guys as well! Not only do i find many of us who suffer the same crazy itch, but also encouraged me to finally go see a GP.

I have all the symptoms described. I feel the itch a lot more when i'm about to get my period. I also feel like my vaginal lining and ovaries are itchy... like a tingling feeling that makes you think it's itchy.. does anyone else have this?

I was thinking hormonal as well, but i'm 24 and not going through menopause... not pregnant, haven't had sex in a very long time.

The only thing i can think of is - i had a cervical cancer vaccine two months ago, which was the same time from when this itching started. I'm going to speak to the GP really soon about this and see if this is related. Will come back and continue the brain storming.
HI....your simptoms seem to be more like mine and I wonder if they are horomonal.  When I was pregnant 2 years ago with my third child (a Girl).  I had terrible vagina problems.  In my third trimester I developed an allergic reaction to my luandry detergent and had to wash my underware in baby shampoo.  Well after she was born the itching stopped and I nursed her for 22 months.  Well about a month after I stopped (last November) I started with a monthly itching problem.  I figured out that I get it about every 7-10 days before my cycle.  After my cycle the itching stops and is gone for a few weeks then I get it again and 7-10 days later my cycle (I have PCOS, so my cycle is not regular).  I've been to my GYN with the inflimation and she has tested me for everything possible and I tested negative, she says she does not know what it is.  My next option is a biopsy (I'm not looking forward to that).  The things I find to work, it warm water, Benadryle to sleep becuase the itch increases at night, and I found it's not as bad at night if I wear a panty liner ALL day.  I've tried changing the way I wash my underware (like when I was pregnant) but that didnt' work.
This is long, but I believe it will help!!!!!

Where to begin?  First, I am not a doctor.  I will graduate from a U.S. medical school in less than 1 year and will then be a doctor (I plan on going into OB-Gyn).

The medical input:
There are multiple things that can cause itching inside and outside of the vagina, and often it is difficult to tell the difference between them.  If itching is accompanied by a discharge (any liquid or "slime") or an odor, you need to see your doctor because you may have an infection that requires a prescription to treat (such as bacterial vaginosis - "BV", or trichominiasis - "trich", each requiring different medications).  
Aging, and the inevitable menopause, can cause changes to the skin in and around your vagina as well as the natural oils in that area.  This is called atrophic vaginitis, and some doctors may recommend an estrogen cream to help women through this time.
The yeast infections which many females are familiar with that cause an internal (and external) itching along with a cottage cheese like discharge are usually caused by Candida albicans. When you go to your doctor and they check you for a yeast infection, this is what they are checking for.
Now my personal experience:
I have experienced the typical "yeast infection" as well as the external labial itching which is being described here, and they are not the same thing.  I believe the external itching (around the anus and/or labia) to be a female form of jock itch.  Every time my husband looses control of his athlete's foot and/or jock itch (these are both commonly caused by the same organism), I end up with the itchy (and eventually burning) labia described in many of the previous entries.  Unfortunately, the medical world is not very familiar with jock itch in females.  Also, good or bad, doctors like their tools for diagnosis such as looking for the organism under the microscope.  I have not found any sources to substantiate this, but it may be that the female form of jock itch is simply hard to catch under the microscope.
The bottom line:
I have found that the best way to conquer this "female jock itch" is with over-the-counter antifungal ointments (such as Lamisil AT or Naftin), though these are not meant to be used inside of the vagina.  The kicker is that my husband and I have to BOTH treat our genital areas and our feet with the antifungal ointment (and some couples may require that both partners treat their hands as well for the very tough cases) in order to combat the problem.
Again, treatment for the female includes thoroughly treating BOTH PARTNERS.
Treatment is outlined beautifully on MayoClinic.com (a reputable website run by a well respected hospital system) at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/jock-itch/DS00490/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs
To start, look at the treatments listed, but don't forget to look through the prevention page as well since these tips are also useful in conquering this troublesome issue.  It is important to stay clean and dry, wear loose clothing (especially underwear), and to treat both partners thoroughly.
Remember, not everyone who itches has a fungus, so it is important to consult your doctor, especially if you have pain, discharge, or an unusual odor.  If, however, your doctor tells you she can't find anything to explain the itching then you may find some relief with my advice.  Good luck!
I found this thread really interesting.  I WAS diagnosed with genital HSV2 and have had rectal and labia itching now going on 18 months!   The experts keep telling me it is CANNOT be related to herpes.  It is miserable and very distracting!  I have it everyday though out the day!   Thanks for sharing.  
I also suffer from EXTREME itching in the inter-labia region and anal opening. This itch started in 2008. The itch is so bad that I get confused whether it's itchiness or pain. I can't ignore it; it keeps me up at night, and wakes me up in the morning. It feels as if there are worms under my skin, but of course there isn't.

During the whole time that I was suffering, I found this thread and it made me feel comforted that I am not crazy and that unfortunately many women suffer from this. I went to 7 different doctors (dermatologists, gynecologists, allergist, vulva-specialists), and all they can tell me is that I have hyper-sensitive skin. I was prescribed a total of 8 different hydrocortisone (steroid) creams. Some of them would work for a few weeks, but then the itch would flare up again. I was even prescribed a cream that would dull my nerve endings, but it still didn't help. Throughout this process my doctors reassured me that i can keep using the creams, but DON'T! It really does thin out your skin, which leads to ripped skin that never heals.

I am currently doing well, and my itchiness is under control. Thus I wanted to share what I have learned:

1. Bathing in tea helps, but because my itch is near the vagina, bathing in tea is not a good idea in the long run because it changes the pH balance down there, which could lead to other problems (over-growth of bacteria or yeast that's not suppose to be there). But if your itch is elsewhere on the body, then it really helps.

2. Icing helps to numb the pain, but not good for long term use because you're skin will get desensitize to the shock and the effectiveness of icing will slowly go away.

3. Diet matters. I cut out spicy foods or anything that is "intense" and opted for a more neutral and mild diet...such as steamed vegetables, lots of water-dense fruits, and lots of tea.

4. BABY POWDER! I realized that it's the moisture that makes me itchy. All my doctors tell me that I should moisturize my vaginal area and apply creams and Vaseline because they think I could have eczema. But when I do that, I keep itching. Only after a year of suffering did i stop listening to the doctors and tried keeping it dry. Not more dry than the rest of my body, but equally dry. After I shower, I would let it air dry and then apply baby powder which absorbs the moisture.

5. ACUPUNTURE! I never had acupuncture before, but I have heard that it heals systemic problems in the body, and it works really well for allergies. So I started doing acupuncture for the past month, and this is what sealed the deal. I use to take Zrytec every day, and now, I don't need it anymore.

The lesson for me is that creams will only cover the symptoms for an unknown time until your itch flares again. And trying to make lifestyle changes may address the root of the problem more.

Itch765 how do you have acupuncture done in your labia area?  I had that done on my pelvic area yrs ago and I did not get relief but will stay open minded.  I'm not so sure this isn't related to my H diagnosis.  

The baby powder I do use and I sometimes use Lidocaine cream on the outer labia area.   For my rectum I use a dab of bacitricin I like the Target brand.  I'm glad your feeling better and thanks for sharing your tips.
I
Well I've been having the same symptoms for the past few days; no discharge/rash/swelling, just an itch, which turns slightly sore after scratching. Although not in the anal region like some people have commented, just around the middle of the vulva and on the underside of the outer lips, but I'm reluctant to go see a doctor as they seem to be worse than useless. One of my family members suffers from severe Psoriasis, which is genetic, and seeing as there are no other symptoms apart from the itch, I'm beginning to wonder if this could be the culprit, and I have also suffered from it on other parts of my body before(although very mildly) Psoriasis is usualy red and scaly when on other parts of the body, but when it appears on this area it's usually red but smooth; no scales. It usually comes and goes so many people will probably never be able to get rid of the problem completely, but there are creams and ointments to subside symptoms. It's a fairly common disease so it could be that a lot of you here with this frustrating itch are suffering from it, although I am 16 years old and no doctor! So this really is just an educated guess. I find that dampening a baby wipe with water and gently rubbing the affected area helps for a while. Also (although harder said than done) try not to itch! Check other parts of your body for red patches, particulalry on your elbows,knees and scalp, which are typical places for Psoriasis to appear. Anyway, it's worth googling Psoriasis to check your sypmtoms and find out more. Hope I've helped (:
Try dipping a tampon in plain natural yogurt for about 5 minutes, then inserting it into your vagina overnight (or however long you feel for). It helps the itch SO much and the itch goes away for days afterwards I find!
Hello, ive had an itch for a couple of years. I thought it was thrush so i tryed canasten then i got an STI test twice which came back negative. They put me on 2 weeks of antifungals with no help so i got a dermatologist to look at it and she said it was VESTIBULITIS. its not sore, i have no discharge and its only on the inner right hand side. Sometimes i itch it till it bleeds. She gave me steroid cream and i put it on when it starts to itch and it gets rid of it for a while but i forget to keep using it. hope this helps x
I am 19 years old, and I too have this symptom... the itchy labia, though mine are the labia minora; and no discharge, smell, or burning... unless I scratch it. When it first started itching, I was able to resist scratching and I expected it to burn something awful when I urinated, because I suspected a UTI; however, it didn't burn like a UTI, so it wasn't that.  It's been itching on and off for three days, so I decided to google it to see if I could find any sort of help.  I've been on Ortho-Novum for about four months, and the itching started just before my period. I am with you guys thinking that MAYBE it is a hormonal problem but it seems more like a skin condition... I am thinking I will go to the doctor and maybe mention eczema to her. I know for a fact that I do not have any STDs, and I have not had any sexual contact for about three months now.

An orgasm does help (which furthers my suspicion that it MAY be hormonal).
I haven't tried any of the other suggestions, though I will and post results.
I have had the same thing for about 2 years...:( i don't know how to cure it but I can tell you how to stop it from itching..Desitin regular (just the regular cream) diaper rash cream  stops the itch completely but need to apply as needed. hope this helps
I have had this problem for several years as well. I have tried so many different things I have lost track. I have gone to so many different doctors with no long term results.
I started by changing birth control from nuvoring to a pill, because I thought the ring changed my ph.
I tried steriod anti-fungals, hydrocortisone, taken rounds of flagyl for bacteria. All of it! I've used diaper rash cream, changed my underwear 5 times a day, changed soap, everything that other people have recommended.
I had an allergy strip test (only thing we found is allergy to nickel).
So, I started to document when I was the itchiest and when I had relief.
The best advice I have got so far is that I feel better when I do nothing.
Using all the creams and ointments always seems to make it worse after frequent use. So when I get itching I try to push through it and not do anything and it usually will temporarily subside.
I did notice a direct correlation between sweating and itching. I live in Georgia and every summer my symptoms get 10x worse because I am constently sweaty down there. So I blow dry the area, change underwear more than often and turn up the air conditioning.
I have change so many things in my life style to try to balance my body. I have lost weight, started eating better and even quit smoking. The itching is started to come less frequently, but it still comes. Mostly when I go the pool or have sex with my husband. So I try to avoid things that irritate it. I feel so bad for my poor husband who has had to put up with this.
I'm sure everyone is different and these simple things may not work for you. I have not stoppped searching for an answer. I believe my next step it to go to a naturopath and I am considering finding a dermatologist who with botox the sweat glands in my groin area. Good luck in your hunt, maybe one day they will find what this is!
I'va had the same symptoms for two weeks now after being diagnosed with a yeast infection over five months ago. This time it started in my anal area and now my labia ( inner and outer ) is driving me nuts, I thought it was pinworms but nothing.I also get confused with is it pain or itchiness, but it is almost unstoppable even though I have been using monistat for the last few days. I was even starting to blame it on my husband and wondering if he had been fooling around.
I also tried the "plan B" emergency pill few weeks ago, and just in this month I've had my period three times, I am very irregular so I have no idea if it isdue to the hormonal changes like every other person here attributes it to be.
I am now taking cranberry pills and lots of water due to the burning sensation when I go pee. I think I will go to the obgyn today cause I can't be in public without the sensation of scratching no matter who's looking. I will be posting the results later on today.
I've had the same crazy itch for about 2.5 years now. It's worse around my periods. I just found the possible solution to my problem last night. My mom came in town recently and the dry weather made her skin itch very badly. Allergy drugs didn't help. So she tried some Burt's Bees Thoroughly Therapeutic Honey & Grapeseed Oil Hand Creme. The next day her rash was gone, and so did the itch. Then I put the creme on my itchy spot. It worked like a miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The itch was gone instantly and it's been 24 hours of no itching. It brought me tremendous relief!
I'm still going to the doctor's tomorrow, just to be sure~
I hope this would help you girls! :)
I read your comment and got some of the Burt's Bees hand creme, coupled with using antihistamines my itch seems to have gone today.  I have been suffering with this problem for over 3 years now.  This "condition" has been causing my major anxiety as well as discomfort.

Reading this discussion has made me realise I am not alone.  
Hi. I'm 21. Itchy as well, and we need to get this ish figured out!  Getting an ob-gyn appt soon. Here's my story... I have some more things to add about my situation that have not been mentioned and might play some factors (or not).  This is kinda long, but I want to put it all out there.  I put *** next to the stuff/ideas that haven't been mentioned so you can skip there if you want.

So,  I have the same issue. The itching on the edge and inside of my labia minora, both sides. I already have trouble sleeping, and this doesn't help.  I have found a couple white specks also (as mammaj mentioned a while ago) that look pieces from low-quality toilet paper, but dissolve in my finger tips. No other discharge.  No odor.  No chapped lips. No UTI, I've had those before.

I shave, and was thinking that maybe I was shaving too much and it was getting too irritated or too close. Any input?  I don't wax.  I have very thick hair, grows fast, but shave it every other day bc it gets irritated if I do any sooner or later (weird, huh?)

Some ladies say an orgasm helps, but it makes things worse for me. I assume increased sensitivity and swelling.  

I've moved from the dry state of CO to the humid state of OH.

I'm a workout fiend, but severly slacked during college. I'm back to exercising a lot now, wearing spandex, so maybe the excess sweating instigated it?  But I shower immediatedly after every workout.  For the past 2 weeks I have been biking 5-6x a week, but switched to running the past few day (before the itching occured).

***As for skin conditions... I have had granuloma annularae for over 10 years now, been to dermotologists for it, and no topical cream they've perscribed helps.  It's gotten much worse over the last 3 years.  I read stress might increase it, and I was in school, so that makes some sense.  Now I'm done and still stressing with job-searching and grad school.  So maybe it's gone down into the vaginal region?  The thing is that the G.A. on the rest of my body starts out small, and then increases in size and is rarely itchy.  This was sudden and very itchy and I visually doesn't look like the GA on the rest of my body, but the labial skin is much different.    

***So as for my cycle...  Generally it comes every 30-32 days, but every couple months it will be  2 weeks late or skip.  As of now, I'm 2 weeks late.  Which adds more stress which makes it later.  I'm gonna go buy a prego test to hopefully rule that out for now.  Sometimes I get sharp stabbing pains that start at my belly button (esp if I push my finger in it) that radiates stabbingly directly to my vaginal opening.  It's worse if I lay on my back or stomach (stretched out).  I can take pain very well, sometimes I get teary eyed w/ horrible menstrual cramps. but there have been a few times, usually after sex, but sometimes not, where I'm doubled in pain, bawling my eyes out.  worse than any period cramp.  It's a very sharp cramping sensation.  I have to stay in a fetal position, any movement to stand or straighten my body immediate sends stabbing pains through out my uterus like it's being ripped apart or sliced from the inside.  it usually lasts about 30-45 min.  my fiancee can verify my pain level and wanted to take me to the hospital, but I was too stubborn and just passed out in pain.  When i wake up, it's gone.  

Lately my appetite has been off and feel nauseous a lot.  My bowel movements have been more frequent, but this could all be related to hormones and a later cycle. (my PMS is always worse when it's late)

Can someone explain dipping a tampon in yogurt?  Is that to get some pro-biotics in there? Is it only recommended if you're on anti-biotics which may facilitate other infections?  Maybe it's just the idea of puttin yogurt in there, haha.  But I'll try it if I get more info on it.

So that's where I'm at now.  I've got a bunch of google tabs open from other posts here that made me want to look up other things and their symptoms.  I'll comment back an a day or so if I stumble on anything new.

Thanks for reading! haha. Good luck!
one more thing.... I found that heat makes it worse. Filling a tub with cooler water (whatever you're comfortable with) works for me, or a washcloth that's been wet w/ cold water.  Anything hot just makes things worse.
You know, just like most of the women on this site, I am soooo happy that I found you.  I have been having the same issues with the itching.  Once I start scratching, I can't seem to stop.  It gets better and better like I'm a fiend on drugs!! My eyes start rolling back in my head and then I have to catch myself because it will hurt after a few minutes. I have been to at least 2 or more GYN's and was referred to a dermotologist for sabaceous cysts.  This threw me for a loop because I'm thinking " I have a problem in my vagina, what the HELL is a dermatologist gonna do for me!"  The dermatologist puts me on an antibiotic but it really doesn't work.  I think it makes the itching worse.  As with Lioness, the itching is more intense before and after my period.  Not as severe when it's here.  On top of that I have these God awful cyst that pop up whenever they decide!!  I am almost certain that it HAS to be hormonal.  I was diagnosed with a pitutiary tumor 2 years ago and have gotten it removed.  That same year, like 3 months prior, that's when all hell broke loose.  The first GYN thought it was herpes.  Needless to say, so did the next GYN.  I told them it definetely was not that because I am a lesbian and have been for the last 18 years of my life.  It seems as if this occurs in women the their early 30's.  I am determined to find out what causes this and to come up with a remedy that cures this nasty, unattractive, humiliating condition!  Even if I have to become a gyno myself, I will get to the bottom of this.  Again, I am very saddened to hear that you guys are going through this also, but I am very pleased that I'm not the only one...In hopes of a break thru, lets keep each other posted....
I have suffered with Thrush for over a year now. went to docs and had pessery tabs to use every week for 4 weeks but it came back as soon as i stopped them. after reading all about candida ive learnt its a fungi which lives in the gut in a lot of people. in some people it causes symptoms, thrush, dandruff, athletes foot, even depression and other strange things you would not think of.
there is no point in treating the thrush in your vagina because it will just come back. you have to kill the candida or at least get it under control.
you can do the candida diet which i think is impossible - no yeast (breads) no sugar (sugar, fruit, milk, even cucumber) no mushrooms and on and on.
Garlic is a natural anti-fungal.
Pro-biotic drinks help the good bacteria in your vagina to keep fungal infections under control.
i have started taking odourless garlic caps daily (1 x 1000mg) and a probiotic yoghurt drink (1 x vitallity) this has really helped. is very cheap and has no side affects.
I am pregnant and have asked the consultant if this is safe (worried about garlic thinning blood for the baby) and was told its fine.
you can also insert 2 of these tabs in your vagina at night. they dissolve and on the way out kill the fungus. i have done this at the beginning when i was really bad before i got it under control. use a pantyliner the day after, you can smell garlic when you go for a wee but not constantly. i used 2 tabs a night for 3 nights.
i cut down the dose of garlic from 1000mg to 200mg and the symptoms came back.
thrush can also cause small cuts on your labia, which can be painfull when you wee and even more itchy. before i knew about garlic i was using canesten cream morning and night. it all seemed to be getting worse not better, i now know that this canesten HC cream can thin your skin from over use i had a big tube and was slapping it on to cool the itch, when it ran out the cuts went, normal canesten cream is fine just be aware of the HC type (it was prescribed by a doctor but not the one who sees me now)
when i have thush i dont have the cottage cheese discharge, (my doctor didnt think it was thrush but results have come back positive twice). my discharge is normal thickness and colour just more of it, with a sweet smell.
pregnancy hormones can increase risk of thrush, but in my last pregnancy i didnt have it once or whilst breatfeeding. ive had it now for 8 months before i got pregnant and then 4 months while pregnant till i started the garlic and yoghurt.
also try to get your partner to take garlic and yoghurt
i also wash down there with Simple Baby Bath - no colour, no perfumes as these can also wash away the good bacteria.
hope some of this helps
I am a 22 year old who has developed the same symptoms a lot of you are describing here about 2 months ago.  I have had no sexual partners so I know that sex is not the cause. : ) but like some of you are saying, an orgasm seems to help. It does get worse just before and just after my period (like right now).  I did recently go off BC (about 3 months ago) because I was only taking it to regulate my cycle and now that I've graduated from college and am not synced up to all my roommates I decided to kick the pill...seriously considering rethinking that though, I forgot how bad my cramps are...also wondering if going back on my BC will balance me out hormonally and maybe stop the itch...

Glad to know I'm not the only one.  And thank you to everyone who has posted itch relief solutions!  I'll let you know if I find anything that works for me.
I have had this itching for 12 years now. I've been to every kind of doctor even a Vulva Specialist. I've had every kind of test done. I'm 55 yrs old and I just went through double breast cancer and radiation and the itch is still there. I have to take Benadryl 3 times a day and lately I've been using Preparation H. I found also the cool cloth really helps and the heat really makes it worse. I am going to take some of the suggestions I found on this site like the Desitin and Lamisil. Prayerfully someday they will find a cure for us.
I just went to the Dr. for labial itching.  I don't have a yeast infection and no discharge. She said that it was from dryness or my vaginal tissues are thin and get irritated easily (though I am menopausal, but at a younger age). She gave me a presciption that was an anti-fungal plus steriod cream and it has worked great!  It is clotromazole and betamethasone, but it is only to be used fo 2 weeks, after that time, if I still have the itching then she said I could try estrogen cream, but don't want to because of the safety issues, but so far the cream has worked great.
So I've been having this same problem also for the past 3 months or so, and I've been following this site, and figured out a good way to get rid of the itchiness.

Believe it or not, Neosporin helps a lot, I just apply it like a lotion to my nether regions.  Also, (where I think it may have originated from) my boyfriend has a dry skin problem on his hands and wrists which doctors prescribed a salve called "Triamcinolone Acentonide" (basically a super serious lotion) which I now use with the Neosporin on a daily basis.  It has totally cleared up the itchiness and dryness down there.  The only thing I noticed that made things worse was actually giving into the urges and itching like mad.

So I've been refraining from itching and using those topical salves, and I've been itch and pain free for about a month now.  I was also told by my gyno that switching (which I did) or stopping birth control pills completely may also be causing the initial irritation.

Also, a friend told me that a simple anti-itch cream you can get anywhere also works.
I have the exact same thing! Itchy inner labia, slightly peely looking, no other symptoms whatsoever. 20 yrs old, not on birth control, this has been going on about 7 months now. I'm a virgin but I have fooled around, and I was seeing a new guy right at the time this started, which was also the same time that I started shaving (using aloe instead of shaving cream)as opposed to waxing (which I'd been doing for years, no problems). I haven't been with anybody in about 6 months, and I stopped shaving for a while and it made no difference. I've been to the doctor and he's done lots of tests, the first time it came back as a yeast infection and I was given nystatin cream (which works awesomely, but only while I'm using it. once I stop it comes back within a few days) and diflucan pills (which did nothing). I've also been given an anti-bacterial cream, which didn't really do anything for me. I'm currently waiting on an appointment with a gyno, to see if he has any ideas. My impression is that this is a fungal infection, since the nystatin cream is an antifungal and that's the only thing that's worked, however the last two cultures that have been done have come back negative for everything, apparently.

Very frustrating! I'm wearing all cotton underwear (granted, I'm still wearing thongs, but I have for years and years and it;s never been problematic.) I do wear tight synthetic pants while I'm at work, but again, I'd been doing that long before this happened. I tried altering my diet, to no avail. I'm absolutely terrified this is going to be a lifelong condition.... I am beginning to consider the possibility that this may be related to some sort of hormone imbalance, because that seems like the last possible explanation, and really the only common thing between all or most of us, but I don;t really have any other symptoms for that except painful periods.

Good luck to everyone! it does make me feel better knowing I'm not the only one!
Here I am, 5 am, haven't slept, feeling what you ALL are feeling. I have reached a point of desperation. This UNDESCRIBABLE itch. It has taken a toll on me. I don't ever sleep anymore. Sometimes I break into tears in the middle of the night having to take a Xanax for the damn anxiety. I have not yet gone to the doctor, perhaps I am afraid to hear something I dont want to know? All the creams and natural home remedies have NOT worked. Now, i am fearing with what you all are sharing, that this is chronic??? I must say, it is refreshing to know I am not alone. I have read most of your posts and will take into consideration a few things I still haven't tried. The only thing that has "temporarily" relieved the itchiness is a shower. I take numerous showers a day and in the middle of the night!! Its almost like a super clean vagina wont itch, but its only a matter of time until the itch comes back.

I will be seeing my doc this week. Perhaps I can get some different feedback then you all that I can share. I will be crossing my fingers. Hang in there ladies I am with you!!

I am sitting here reading every post, and getting angrier by the moment. If there are so many of us suffering daily from this horrible infliction, why does the medical community not do something about it? It is obviously a real disorder and one that needs to be taken very seriously. How many nights have I gotten up from bed to run to the bathroom to pour rubbing alcohol on the affected area just so I could feel something other than the mind blowing itch? How many times have I cancelled plans with friends because the itch was so uncontrollable,so severe, that it consumed my mind and was making me extremely miserable? (I knew I wouldn't be able to last even an hour without the need to scratch it until it hurt.) On top of that, it made and makes me feel "dirty' down there all the time.Let's just say my sex life is at an all time low,much to my husband's confusion.( I am too embarrassed to tell him why.) I have given up going to the so-called "specialists" because all they want to do is give me a pill or useless cream and rush me out, telling me it's a low grade yeast infection( I too,suffer from the white specks that look like stuck tissue paper and the cut right above my clitoris) , a reaction to an enviornmental agent(due to the redness of my labia), or (the best yet) it's all in my head. Here's an anti depressant; take it and you'll feel better. Huh? I believe we as a sisterhood need to stand up and make ourselves heard! Make the medical community take notice and demand answers! Until that day, I will lean on you all for your wonderful advice on how to control this horrible infliction. Thank you for allowing me to vent and here's hoping for an answer for us real soon!!!
I'm so glad I found this site/thread!  I'm eighteen and I just started having this itching thing (no disharge) about four or five days ago.  It's an extreme itchiness that tends to get worse ever time I wipe after using the restroom...and if I scratch it at all (which I can't help doing), the itching becomes worse then also, and starts to burn.

Here are some of the things I've been wondering about:

1.  I was with my boyfriend for the past month, and got back home one day before the itching started.  We are both each others' first partners and we are monogamous...I truly doubt any thread of STD's, especially since we've been having intercourse for about eight months and this just started this past week.  HOWEVER...he has a case of flat warts on his arm, and from what I've read, I could have gotten genital warts from this.  But, when I look downstairs with a mirror, there is no sign of bumps or anything...not even a rash unless I've recently scratched.  Everything looks normal!!

2.  Right BEFORE I left to go to his place, I took the second part of the Gardasil vaccine.  I really don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but since we don't know all the side effects associated with it yet, it made me wonder.

3.  I stopped taking the Aviane 28-day cycle birth control pill after I came back home.  I decided I wouldn't be seeing him again in over a month, and this type of pill only takes a week to get back into effect, so two weeks before seeing him again (just to be safe) I'd start back up again.  However, since I stopped taking it immediately upon returning home, and the day after the missed pill I began to itch, I wondered if it was hormonal.  This is only a slight chance though, really, since I've accidentally missed pills before without any such reaction.

I'm going to the doctor for a consultation visit soon just to check to see how big my risk is for getting genital warts, just to be on the safe side.  I'm going to ask her about this new thing, too, if it doesn't go away by then.

Best of luck, everyone!  Keep us posted!
I forgot to add...I'm on my period right now.  I've been reading a lot of posts that say that the itching went away with the period and then returned afterwards...not so with me.  It's just itching right on through!
Hi Ladies,

I too have been suffering with this persistant itching for many months now and lost many nights sleep I tried something yesterday and got my first good nights sleep in a long time with NO itching!!!  I used Sudocrem it states it is for napkin rash, eczema, bed sores and many more things but it has stopped my itching and I am so pleased I tried it! I recommend that you try this and see how you get on! Hope it can help some of you x
I have just joined the ranks and I am terrified!  Please people, I implore all of you to write to EVERY MAJOR health care professional out there.  Let's get Nancy Sniderman from the Today Show on this.  Let's get Oprah!!  Write The Doctors.  We need to refer them all to this site.  This is nothing short of torture and it needs attention!!!
By the way, i have been using ice cubes to numb the area and then vagisil.  That works for about an hour to an hour and a half.  I also have not slept since this started.  I've been on a Flagyl type antibiotic and steroid creme for 2 days now with no real improvement.  I just read all these entries and went to the store to stock up on all kinds of recommended stuff.  But we need a real cure for this.  This is NO JOKE!!
wow. i am blown away by this. this thread has been going for almost 3 years now and with continuously steady posts. this issue definitely deserves some real attention.

the way some of you have already described many of these symptoms...i feel i could have written it myself. dryness, itching only on the labia not inside, the amazing feeling of scratching which only quickly leads to a painful burning and soreness, the cuts or tearing as i think of it more as above/around the clitoris, the toilet paper like substance.

it feels like my labia is shedding its skin, and it is a very itchy and painful process. I'm not sure, but it seems like that toilet paper substance is skin that's peeling off.

one thing that i was unsure of is how frequently this occurs for people/how long it lasts. my experience is random bouts that last a week or so. i did contract genital warts a year ago, which was when i had my worst experience with it. it lasted 2 or more weeks and was completely unbearable. it was the only time i've resorted to anti-itch cream which helped, but had to be constantly reapplied.

i'm certain i had this problem before the STD though and even now (which is why i'm here today!) although there are no signs of warts, making it appear as though it's "run its course". the only thing i've found that works (and i mean works as in the problem subsides for an undetermined amount of time before resurfacing) is completely ignoring it.

this time around it started 3 or 4 days ago, right as my period was ending. i'll admit i gave in the first night to scratching but of course that just made it worse. i tried not to pay it any mind after and tonight i can still feel a residual irritation but it is subsiding.

it seems to be a regular occurrence for me, but not constant. is that how most people are experiencing this also?
OK... here is what I have learned.  Mine seems to be hormonal... although I can't get the doc to confirm this.  They of course think it is either all in my head or an itch-scratch-itch cycle (yeah, uh huh!).  So, I notice that when my period is coming on, when the hormones are at their peak, it subsides A LOT!  Once the period is over, there is is again!  Neosporin with pain releaver in it paired with 2 Advil every 6 hours keeps it in check.  Keeping it CLEAN (like SUPER clean, don't use ANY soap down there at ALL, just use water)...keeping it cool.  I am a heavy sweater (I know, ***** for a woman to be like that), but I also have a VERY narrow comfort for both heat and cold.  I have to keep cool and dry down there... even if that means changing panties!  Jeans ARE NOT your friend (yes, I still wear them, but there isn't much else I am allowed to wear to work :(  They trap heat and make the problem worse, plus most jeans are tight fitting in that area.  Finally, try super hard not to give in to the itch... it is HARD, but don't do it!  It will just make it worse!  I am still fighting... keep posting ladies... let us know what is working or not working for you... remember this post if you get a confirmed diagnosis from a doc so that the rest of us can try to be tested for the same!!!  Good luck all!  Wishing you all an itch free night!  
Kat
I just got treatment from the third doctor and I think I finally got it.  I had been using Vagisil which contains benzocaine.  Turns out this stuff can cause you to develop an allergy to it and subsequently all products contaning similar ingredients.  The first 2 docs didn't catch what was going on and put me on treatments which didn't work.  The itching and burning only subsided when I used the Vagisil, so I kept using it.  Then I started to itch on my thighs, neck and stomach.  I scratched and then I put a hydrocortisone cream on those areas ( which also contains benzocaine)   The next day was complete hell!!!   I developed a severe rash in all those areas - bright red and painful!!  I had developed an allergic reaction to the benzocaine.  I was prescribed oral steroids to fix it and I'm still not out of the woods today. All I can tell you is STOP using things like Vagisil or anything ending in "Caine" that numbs the area.  You are asking for misery!!!
but help us all out, what did you doc treat you for?  That way we can go to our docs and ask for the same test and/or treatment??  Please help us out!  Thanks!
perhaps another clue to this mystery...  I had my hubby "check the area" for me and he said that it looks PERFECTLY NORMAL!  No redness, no cuts or scratches or anything!  WTH?!  I poined to the specific area that was "not right" in my mind and he said it looks fine...nothing wrong with it!  Again, WTH!  This would explain why the doc keeps saying it is fine, nothing wrong with it!  It apparently LOOKS normal, but sure doesn't FEEL normal!!!  Anyway, just a thought to toss out... anyone else out there have same or similar in that the appearance is normal?
First of all, I would wonder what we all have in common -- age, sex life, soaps used, etc.  It would take a massive study to maybe find a common link.  Who knows, maybe there's nothing in common except the insatiable itch!

I took the eczema theory posted above and ran with it because also noticed a slight itchiness on other parts of my body, arms, legs, etc.  So, I figured I must be a little dehydrated and thus might need to cure this from the inside out.  I've taken fish oil pills and stepped up the water intake to try to add some more hydration and necessary oils into my system.  It seems to help.

Also, after I shower in the morning AND right before I go to bed I apply a topical ointment to the area prone to itching.  Doing this works wonders for me; however, the key is also to put it on before bedtime because the itch has been the most strong at night, while not active.

The ointment I've been using is a little out of the ordinary... it's wrinkle cream for your face!  Called L'oreal Advanced Revitalift Anti-wrinkle Concentrate, my theory is that if it's safe enough for the face and especially around the eye area, it's gotta be safe enough for the sensitive parts down yonder.  Although I'm sure the L'oreal people would be horrified to know this, so far, no complaints and it's working miracles!

Hey, at the very least I'm avoiding the itch and staving off wrinkles in my nether regions!  Haha!

(As an aside, I'm a HUGE believer in Tea Tree Oil but it didn't help this time; also tried Elidel, which I believe is for eczema, it didn't really last for as long as I needed it to.)
I did the same thing with the hydration.  LOTS of water!!!  LOTS and LOTS of water!  It has helped a bit, but not totally.  I agree though that there should be some sort of study to see what we all have in common.  There has to be a common thread.  I personally think mine is due to hormones...or lichen sclerosus et atrophicus.  Anyway, may need to try the l'oreal!  LOL
It could be thrush.  Follow the link below and read the article below.

http://www.birth.com.au/Thrush/About-vaginal-thrush.aspx
Or you can look at this one.

http://www.womenshealthlondon.org.uk/leaflets/thrush/thrush.html
Did anyone see 20/20 tonight? The top story was "For Women With Pain Disorders, Sex Can Be Excruciating Experience" and there is a lot of info on the forum. http://abcnews.go.com/2020/comments?type=story&id=8261425
Hello, I am 21 weeks pregnant with our third child & this awful itch started when I was about 8 weeks pregnant. I have never had these symptoms before. My husband & I have been together & with no one else since 1990, so 19 years. We have been tested for STD before we married & also my OB tests for this with each pregnancy. We have never had a STD & are faithful. I have had a yeast infection years ago & this is not it. I do not have any discharge or odour, just a terrible itch that needs to be scratched. I have also started perspiring heaps & chafing in between my legs. I have never perspired like this before, I can stand there doing the ironing for an hour & I will be dripping perspiration from between my legs!! We live in Adelaide & it is Winter time here. I see my OB on Friday, he has known me for 10 years, so I will let him know of my discomfort & see what he says & then I will let you all know in case you have my symptoms & this can help you. I do feel better to know I am not alone, what a terrible thing to have, especially when I am half way through my pregnancy & I do enjoy sex with my husband. Sometimes I prefer rough sex to help with the itch, lol! Also, it is good when he gives me fellatio, apart from the normal orgasm feeling, lol, it helps with the itch!  Anyway, it is good to know I am not alone. I am 43 if this makes any difference to any one else's symptoms. Talk to you in five days or so. Good Luck!!
OMG, so glad to find out that I am not alone!  I mean, I thought I was the only 1 with this embarrassing problem.  I've not told my friends or family.  The only person knows about this is my supportive husband.  Too embarrassed to go see the doctor but plan on it soon because I can no longer stand it.  I started having the itchiness early this year and it drives me insane.  My symptoms are exactly the same as most of you posted.  I've never been on the pills, the only contraceptive we use is: condoms.  My husband is my only partner and we've married for 10 years.
At first, I thought because of the waxing/shaving so I gave-up waxing/shaving since the problem started, I even stopped wearing thongs/g-string and started wearing all conton underwears but it's not helping.  I do lose sleep over this problem and I have 3 small children to take care during day time.  I get tired and get cranky easily when my kids don't behave.  If any1 has found a good solution to this itching problem, please post it!
I'm 16, a virgin and have this problem as well.

My mom is in the medical field, so I am aware of a lot of things. I've tried cotton underwear, not wearing thongs, not wearing underwear, not using soaps, changing toliet paper (From a scented kind to unscented, this might help some people), wearing looser clothes. I've also noticed that my period does make this stop entirely, but the day my period stops, this starts up again.

I also think this is hormonal, and I asked my mom about it. She has endemitriosis, (sp?) and had cervical cancer several years ago. My periods are SEVERELY irregular, and even though I know this happens for like 6-18 months after you first get your period, this has been an issue for 3 years now. I can go like 4 or 5 months without my period at all. Then it might happen on a regular cycle.

My symptoms include really, really really bad itchiness on the inside of my labia, around my vagina, and towards my anus. This seriously stops all normality to life, it drives me CRAZY.

I've tried hydrocortisone cream, etc. I haven't discussed this with any doctors aside from my mother currently, because I haven't been to the doctor in the short amount of time I've suffered from this. It's really intriguing to know that women of all ages are suffering from this, and it seems like it around really hormonal times. Puberty/development, pregnancy, and near menopausal age. I haven't ever been on birth control, and never had sex. Everything down there looks totally normal.

The only problem I see with ice is that it carries soooo much bacteria.be weary of using it.

When I go see my doctor next, I'll ask her about this.

Does anyone else have irregular cycles, or any kind of female health problem? I think it might be hormone related.
I'm so glad I read this thread!  I've been having the above symptoms for about the last 6 months; no possibility of STDs and no discharge to indicate a yeast infection.  Along with some other people posting on this thread, my gut instinct is that this is hormonal, because the itching always gets worse either right before my period or if I take my birth control "straight through" to skip my period.  I never had this problem before I was married and started taking the pill, which makes me think the hormonal changes have something to do with it.

I had my husband check out my area, and he said it looked totally normal, except for being a bit redder than usual - which i think was due to the fact that I had just been itching it.  This has definitely affected our sex life, because I really don't feel "in the mood" to have sex when I know there's issues going on down there.  I also don't want to give my husband some type of infection...this thing - whatever it is - really is stressing me out.

In terms of treatment, I found that holding a cool damp washcloth on the area subsides the itching.  Also, I do my best to just ignore it, so I'm not tempted to keep itching and do more damage.  I have some monistat external vulvar cream that I have been applying to the area as well - I know this is probably a bad idea since I don't think I actually have a yeast infection, but at least it helps the itch subside so I can have a quasi-normal day.  I wear cotton underwear and try to keep the area as cool and dry as possible.  I'm going to see my OBGYN about this issue next week.  Based on the posts above, I'm not very confident that she'll be able to help much, but we'll see.  

I'll post back with what I hear from my doctor.  Also the 31 July 2009 post by "thisblows" about benzocaine might have something to do with the itch.  I just read the monistat external vulvar cream ingredients and it lists Benzoic acid.  Maybe this has exacerbated my itching problem?  Not sure - I'll post back after I go to the doctor.
Update - I went to the doctor today, and the diagnosis is that I have a yeast infection after all.  Apparantly using the Monistat 3-day was not a good idea, because my doctor said the 3-day medication typically does not get rid of the yeast infection.  As a result, while my symptoms decreased, the infection itself never really went away.  She perscribed a Terconazole 3-day regimen to me, which should take care of this infection for good.  I'll let you all know if it doesn't end up working out.  

Even though I didn't show all the signs of a yeast infection (no discharge or ordor)...looks like I had one nonetheless.  Therefore, if you're reading this post and haven't gone to a doctor to see if it's a lingering yeast infection, I would highly recommend doing so - even if you are doubtful that you have a yeast infection.  The doctor also ran some additional tests -- I'll let you know if anything turns up on those.

Best of luck to everyone suffering from these awful symptoms.
Hello fellow itchy sufferers!

I had this condition too, it came shortly after my last period, and is seriously itchy, mostly on the right side of my labia, it becomes red from all the itching, but i have not experienced any discharge or smells. Gets worse at night and is strangely eased by an orgasm....weird

Anyway i found something that really helps..i bought piriton allergy relief but its a pill you take every four hours or so. The first pill i took it eased the itching a little but after a day of taking them the itching is also non existant....now about 5 days on im off piriton completely. with very little unnoticable/ no itch what so ever.

I can actually get a night sleep again, i also got a cream called biofem, which is meant to stop itching and restore your natural bacteria and ph levels to normal. I use this at night to help with the soreness and redness from all the itching!

Hope this helps...its seriously worth a try!!!
hi all i got the same problem severe itching, dry and some paper cuts. I noticed that itchiness oocurs when im on days with heavy normal discharge. I got no unsual discharge and no bad odor as well. then it stops before period and then go back 10 to 15 days after period. I know its not yeast infection as i had it before. I was diagnosed with one genital wart when i was pregnant then removed and never had it again plus it doesnt itch like that. I never had the same problem before just after i had my first baby and got worst when i had cervical cancer vaccine. As to relief the itchiness im using travocort and was it with apple cider vinegar and betadine feminine wash.
I've suffered for 2 years with the symptoms listed by many above: crazy itching at night, no discharge, not overly red, with the cut right above the clitoris, and toilet paper clump things (perfect analogy!).  I've tried the antifungal creams by themselves, anti-itch stuff, tea tree oil, hydrogen peroxide.

But I think I solved it with a simple change (plus going ahead and using the anti-fungal jock itch cream) in my life.  My 6 year old daughter's been obsessed with sweets, and gaining weight, to the point that I threw them out over a week ago. Cleaned the house out. I got to thinking that what with studentdoc2010's advice to treat oneself for jock itch, and another idea out there that fungus love sugar, that I needed to look at my own sugar intake. I stopped eating the free sweets at the office, and I stopped my nightly glass of wine. That, with a little extra care to change underwear if it is sweaty, and stay dry, and my problem essentially disappeared in 2-3 days. It was remarkable. I've wanted to get back here to thank studentdoc2010, and others.  I think that it's a subtle, subtle fungal infection, and that the high sugar western diet is probably a challenge for many of us. The night time connection is probably just that things feel way worse at night due to hormone levels plummeting at night. (Same reason sickness feels worse at night, often.)

If you are a nightly drinker, try giving it and sweets a rest, keeping extra dry, and doing some anti-fungal cream.  I was blown away at the results. The rough, cracked skin at the clitoris took a week to heal completely, but it did. After 2 crappy years. It's not like I was eating piles of cake, but I guess I don't handle sugar well. Or wine.

I know this sounds too simple, but please try it. I'm bummed out that so many are suffering as I have, and I would love to see this thread take a turn for people finding solutions and healing!  I am 44, a perfect weight, run 5 miles/day, but prone to things like seborheic dermatitis and angular chelitis (cracks at the corners of the mouth every now and again)--also linked to fungal infections. I'm pretty sold on this fungus and sugar hypothesis. Can't hurt to try it. Good luck, Ladies!  (((((ITCHY LADIES)))))
OMG I cant believe how COMMON this is! Why do doctors NOT know what this is???? Anyway, I have been suffering from an itchy inner labia for about 8 months now. It started one day after my period and now I get this itchiness right before and after my period! It is absolutely horrible! I usually do not have a really bad itch but last night I was awaken by the terrible itch and pain! I jumped up and put on my usual Vagisil and Baby Powder and that seemed to help. But I woke up again and was STILL itching (not as bad) and I just completely took off my underwear and put on more baby powder and that helped ALOT. I only wear cotton underwear but maybe they are too tight. I also notice that when I get extremely stressed, I begin to sweat down there and I believe that is what causes the itching for me. My remedies for the itching include Vagisil (or some type of hydrocortisone cream), Baby powder, baby wipes, Benedryl, and taking a warm bath with NO TYPE OF BUBBLE BATH. Just plain warm water. If the warm water doesnt work for you, try a cool washcloth on the area. Also, only wear cotton underwear (and not too tight)! Those are my remedies ladies!! Hope they work for you as they do for me!
I have had the following symptoms for about 3 years now: on and off itching of the inner labia. No odd discharge although I discharge frequently as part of my normal cycle. The itchiness can last for a few days -  a week and then come back a week later or a few months later. It seems to be completely random, though I am on the pill (started about a year ago) and I tend to change my cycles (i.e. 6 weeks without menstruation, then 3 weeks, then 4, etc.) so maybe it is related to hormones. I also notice that it starts off mild and gets worse, more itchy, a couple of days later. It's most definitely not thrush/candida, I have been tested.
I have not noticed any white, paper-like clumps though?
Maybe it is also related to hygeine - I only wash once a day at the moment. Have tried steroid cream to no avail and Canesten  (anti fungal cream). I use sensitive soap, I wear cotton undies and try to sleep without underwear, but these don't seem to make any difference.
Anyway I am of the opinion that this needs to be studied by medical scientists. It's unfair that we are all suffering needlessly - we need to make this problem more widely-known somehow.
UPDATE- So I decided to go to go to the doctor yesterday because the itching was driving me nuts. I had always thought that since it comes and goes, it was no type of infection...wellllll I was wrong. The doctors said that I have BV (Bacterial Vaginosis). She said this can be due to irritants such as shower gel, bubble bath, washing detergent, etc. I was given antibiotics for this. So basically, if you have not been to the doctor to get it checked out, PLEASE go. It is better to just get the stuff checked and know for sure what it could be instead of suffer with the horrible itching any longer! So please be careful with what you have been using (shower gel, non-cotton underwear, etc). Nothing wrong with having a quick vaginal culture to check for infection :) Good luck ladies!! I will update my status after the antibiotic treatment
Im glad I am not alone! Well not really since I wish none of us had to deal with this. I thought I was a freak but Im glad to know that we are not alone. Im 21, live in the midwest, no current boyfriend but always use condoms when I do. Same symptoms as everyone listed above. Especially those painful cuts which are weird! And of course that itchyness! ughhhhhh it is driving me nuts! It started 4 weeks ago. I went to the gyno for my regular checkup at that time and told her about it. She tested me for vaginal infections, stds, pregnancy, the usual. Nothing came back positive. Although I did notice a small cyst under the skin on my labia. Pointed it out to her and she told me to watch it. Found the cyst right about the time of all these symptoms. Didnt know if maybe that was a connection? Doubt it but just throwing that out there. Also my roommate brought up an interesing possibility....mild allergy to cotton. I know that certain allergies only affect certain people and on certain areas of their body. Im allergic to everything outside so this is not news to me. We all seem to use cotton underwear and of course we deal with it all the time (toilet paper, towels, etc). Maybe that could be something? I havent found any real answers from my doctor or gyno. I began washing my underwear in baby soap. After I use the bathroom I gently wipe my vagina with baby wipes for sensitve skin to keep it clean. I only use baby soap in the shower to wash that area and change my underwear at least 2 times a day (more if it is really hot or I work out). I also bought this great cream that helps alot! Monistat itch relief cream. Its from their soothing care line. It is meant to stop itchyness and heal that area. That has given me alot of comfort so I can sleep. Well thats all I have got. Hopefully someone figures this out. I think we might freak out our senators if we write asking them to help find a cure for our itchy vaginas! haha. good luck ladies!
Dear Ladies,
For your descriptions, it may be jock-itch.  Try any of the three over the counter medications:  Tinactin, Lotrimin, or Micatin.   Good luck to all of you!
I am post menopausal and started having itching in the last 8 months or so. I did get treated for Bacterial vaginosis. But it came back. Another forum suggested extra folic acid and that does work. So far no return of BV.

As far as the itching I am trying Vaseline applied morning, noon and evening and that does help ALOT. I woke this morning with some itching but last night had none. What a relief!

I think for some it may be that the area becomes oversensitized and needs help healing. The vaseline protects it while it heals. I wonder even if some toilet papers may aggravate the itching.
I notice when I do a lot of drinking this problem keeps coming back. I think it is the sugar.  I'm trying to keep track of all the soy I'm eating also. With everything having soy, I'm wondering if it is just an alergy (allergy).  Does subside when I take Benadryl.  Just haven't figured out what it is I'm alergic (allergic) to. Maybe we should keep track of what we eat and when it seem to get worse. Maybe we can figure this out together.  Also went walking at the beach was very hot this weekend.  Did eat a lot of junk food also.  
IT'S T RUE.
WE MUST ALL WATCH OUR SUGAR AND CARB INTAKE.
I'VE NOTICED IT GETS WORSE WHEN I GET INVITED TO
A MEAL AND HAVE SOME ALCOHOL AND DESSERT WHICH I NEVER HAVE WHEN AT HOME.
AVOIDING ALCOHOL AND SUGAR DOES HELP.
ALSO TRY DRINKING A BIG MUG OF WARM WATER WITH
HALF A LEMON SQUEEZED INTO IT UPON WAKING UP EVERY
MORNING. I FOUND THIS HELPS A LOT.
IT IS ALSO IMPORTANT TO URINATE AT LEAST EVERY 2 HOURS WHEN AWAKE AND THEN KEEP THE AREA VERY CLEAN AND DRY. DRINKING A LOT OF WATER IS ESSENTIAL FOR THIS.
I ALSO HAVE SOME SKIN RASH OVER MY ARMS AND NAPE WHICH ARE GETTING MUCH BETTER SINCE I STARTED THE MORNING LEMON THERAPY.
EATING FRESH ALOE VERA GEL EVERY EVENING ALSO HELPS TO CURE SKIN AILMENTS GRADUALLY.
MY EX-HUSBAND IS A DOCTOR. I AVOID DOCTORS AND MEDICINES AS FAR AS POSSIBLE.
GOOD LUCK !!! DO LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPS.
Hello i have been having itch for the past 4 days,  i've had this in the past several times never extreme mostly just an annoyance throughout the day but worse when i get my period...however this time is a little diff. i noticed on Sat that i was experiencing burning slightly when i urinated went & got the home UTI test came out positive been drinking cranberry juice & got the AZO UTI pills.  just got over my cycle on thurs.  also to mention i tested a low positive for HSV2 last month waiting to go for the confirmatory test at end of month known as the Western Blot..never had an outbreak thats why i am going for the WB...i hope all you women are dealing better with the itch i can't imagine having this constantly all the time god bless you!
and lets all pray for good health for each of us i still am!

still hopeful=)
You know, it might sound crazy, but I have discovered that I am alergic (allergic) to the POISE PADS.  I stopped using them and the itching has gone down about 95%.  I'm wondering if we are alergic (allergic) to whatever they put in the pads so that (how can I say this).  Whatever they put in them so that the liquid turns into a gel.  Let me know if any of you are using these Poise pads or any other pads that might be causing this.  
like everyone else, soooo happy to find this forum.

I;m 21 and have had this problem for years. Every couple months it comes and sometimes lasts for weeks. Its unbelievable itching, any time of day or night, sometimes unbearable. no odor, no discharge, looks normal.

I have never messed around with any anti-itch creams, but like several other people, orgasms are the only thing I can do that seem to subdue the pain for a while.

I sometimes think that maybe it occurs when it is not clean enough down there, ie if I dont shower or change underwear on a sunday after a night of partying. Another interesting idea that someone else mentioned is shaving down there... sometimes I think that if i shave too much or let it grow out some, because the hair is so short and coarse it rubs against my skin there (which is already so sensitive) and irritates it. With that because it is so irritated, I dont feeel like shaving which means it would only continue or get worse or if i cut myself shaving there all seem to make it worse.

no idea what to do, although the idea of diet or allergies or not staying hydrated enough as being the cause are certainly possible.

It just started acting up today (and some people said its right before their period, which is my case, Im not sure if it normally comes at this time or not, but thats also possible) and im dying! :(

I'm glad I found other people with this, but it is quite depressing in over 3 years no one has found out for sure what it is.

i know this whole website is awesome as far as a support group that where you can come to express your story for any questions or concerns you have that you feel you don't want to mention to anyone that you know for the sake of them passing judgement, which would be horrible thankfully i have supportive friends & family that would never pass judgment on me for that.

my itching usually starts right before & after my period, not always there consistantly but is present & is not intense.  i def feel for all you ladies who have to put up with this 24/7 my heart goes out to you.

hopefully doctors/labs/specialists/scientists are studying this among other diseases to come up with a cure &  not just a temporary fix.

i am going to the gyno today after work to for an exam due to my itching & burning while urinating that i had over the weekend.  it has dimenshed now but it still is there, i havent had any discharge that including discoloration or odor so i'm hoping its just a yeast infection & that i can get antibiotics for it maybe difulican.

I have had this horrible can't scratch hard enough problem also and the one thing
that seems to work is Colloidal Silver. You take
1/2 tsp twice a day in water. This really is a miracle that
the pharmaceutical companies hope we never find out and
often will spread horrible rumors about. Colloidal Silver has been tested, written up in medical journals and found completely safe and non-toxic and effective in treating hundreds of organisms. Thousands of people use it including my family and I. It is very effective as a safe, natural antibiotic for so many different problems.
Research it yourself. Good luck!

Where do you find this Colloidal Silver.  I would like to give it a try.

Thank you.
You can order them online and also at a health store.
Good luck!
Thank god im not going insane on my own!

Im 25 weeks preg and have been having this itching getting increasing more frequent and distracting for the last 4m, although i think its been lying low for a long time, maybe 18m, but was mainly a dry sensation earlier on. discharge watery and will soak a liner in a few hours but no odour and not 'cheesy'. no redness unless scratched. (discharge could be preg related as i know lots of preg women have lots extra) flaring up in the evening

Homone wise : pregnant and have 1 other child, overactive thyroid that flares at 'life events' but otherwise is just a tad bit higher than the norm and not medicated, irregular periods usually with very light flow. Diabetes in family.  Combination skin since early teens on face/arms/back, eczema on 1 hand (!) and quite bad as young child on back/bends of knees etc.  Tested allergic to nickel and latex

Not your typical PCOS but i suspect i def have some kind of imbalence along these lines, although not confirmed by endocrinologist.

stopped contraceptive pill dec 07 and began using condoms while avoiding conceiving which is when the dryness got v bad and gp thought it was prob latex allergy and prescribed cansten hydrocortisone cream which seemed to help

tonight after a manic scratching session i decided to have a bath with bicarbonate of soda in which is what i always used for eczema and a drop of tea tree (use it for everything!!!) and ive not itched for 2 hours.
having read your threads i am going to try :-

lemon water each morning
TRY to cut down on sugar - although im a sweet tooth and craving it at the moment but am certain its not helping
bicarb 'douche' after toiletting and 'air drying' (!)

ive already tried to swap to organic natracare liners as i was worried there was possibly a latex or similar substance in cheaper versions - although they are not as effective and need changing 3 x daily

i am positive that this is hormone related - and as with anything of that type its often chronic and demands long term management rather than 'cure'

if i wasnt preg i would be trying aloe vera capsules and probably canesten. ive treid sudocrem and it helped on application but i find it 'builds up' and is difficult to completely clean away without aggravating the area again.

This is just miserable i cant believe there are so few who feel they are getting on top of it. i will go to gp and ask for swabs again but ive had 3 clear urine dips in the last few months

good luck guys!
Just an update: I`ve been dealing with this going on a year now, just the inner labia, slightly `peely' looking but otherwise normal, the itch really seems to only happen at night, and maybe first thing in the morning when I wake up, but once i get up and active it's gone. The last couple months, I've found relief by washing with soap (i use Kiss My Face olive oil soap, it;s very very simple, only 3 ingredients so it doesn't irritate) to get rid of any build-up without having to scrub, because I found that when I didnit use soap, I'd tend to be a little more rough when washing. But so I wash with soap, and then apply glaxal base moisuriser, you can buy it at pharmacies, and again, very very plain, and I apply that twie a day (morning and night) and I wash nightly. The itching was like 99% gone, and I was okay with having to do that little routine if it meant it would stay away.

Then I had sex for the first time... 2 weeks ago. At first I thought the labia were just irritated from friction or whatever, but it was like.. unbearably itchy so I went to the Dr and he diagnosed me immediately with a very standard yeast infection, reccommended monistat and gave me a diflucan prescription incase the monistat didn't clear it completely. After I finished the treatment, had sex again, and now again a couple days later, it seems that the first yeast infection is either coming back, or I've got another one. Interesting, though, because the days following the monistat everything was fine. No itch, no nothing, which leads me to believe that maybe this is just some sort of weird, lurking yeast infection? Who knows, I just took my diflucan and hopefully that will get rid of whatevers left of the yeast infection, and I'll post if it becomes a recurring, full-blown yeast thing... I hope it doesn't, lol. Has anybody else found that sex seems to make this come out of hiding, and get way worse?
Think the bicarb is working.  Its definatey clearing it for a few hours and if i do start to itch again its localised to one area at the front above clitoris and isnt as bad. Just tend to change my liner and do another 'rinse' if it flares up again.
Have put no cream on whatsoever and i dont feel quite as 'dry'

will keep u posted
i have all these syptoms (symptoms). its such irritation and itching around the hole in my vagina.. it feels like its inside but not deep in. i've tried everything! and itching and scratching only makes it worse. it only feels better if being touched or like said above, having sex. i don't know what to do! i'm embarassed and want help!
stop all the home remedy this is not the 18th century... come on now.

change your laundry detergent, (thats how i got better)
dont dont wear tight clothes (underwear, pants...)
wash with water then wipe everytime u use the restroom
always wash your hands with soap!
make sure you partners hands n ... clean before having sex.
see your gynecologist even if you dont have insurance save a 100 to 300 its worth the visit and the medicine the Dr. perscribes isnt that expensive, follow the directions of the medicine and if it doesnt work go back to your gynecologist (he is there to help ppl like you stop the suffering)
dont wait to long it will only get worse
and last suggestion is pray :)

Best of luck to all
ive been having the same problems onlyi am 21 and for the last 2 years every couple months for up to a week i experience extrereme itching on my labia  i dont really notice if im keeping busy but if im just sitting watching tv it gets unbearable so far i just make sure im always washing my hands and i shower in the morning and at nite, ive also noticed it helps if u keep nice and "trimmed" im gonna try everrything that was suggested here and ill update if i find a better solution THANX
Strange what I'm reading about all the syptoms (symptoms). I've had this itch problem, come and go since was 6 yrs. old. Started in the anus area. Went away as quick as it came. No more itch no more symptoms. Came back twice when young. Problem started up again in my earlie twenties. Let me say this is different than yeast infection, Herpes, and jock itch. I wake up in the morning with it, drives me crazy, through out the day, and if you itch it it gets worse. Than it mysteriously goes away. No discharge, no odor, nothing but the itch. I use nothing to alliviate the itch and yet it goes away as quickly as it came. Sometimes it lasts for more than a day or two and than disappears. It will show up with cracks or lines that are tender and sore. Very similar to herpes brake out. Usually herpes brake out it more like blisters, and these are dry like cuts. I believe the doctors have something new on their hands to figure out! Thanks for sharing ------studentdoc2010,  I really thought it was the jock itch too, but it comes as quickly as it goes with out creams.
as a remark on symptoms forgotten. Sex does seem to take away from the itch. That helps alot. Problem disappears for me for long periods of time. Years , than will come back. Hope this helps.
I have been having a very uncomfortable itch all around my pubic area.  The gyno thought I might have a yeast infection but everything looked good and the culture was negative.   She then said she thought it might be eczema and suggested Desitin.  I have been using that with some relieft, but not complete relieft.  I was miserable last night and took off my underware.  The itching improved after an hour or so.  I looked at the fabric content of the Victoria Secret underware.  It has 5% spandex.  I have been looking on the internet for allergic reaction to spandex.  Found a class action suit against VS due to the allergic reactions caused by their bras with spandex.  I am wondering if spandex might be the culprit in my case and maybe others'.  I have noticed that a lot of the jeans currently being offered by retailers include spandex.  I am going to switch back to 100% cotton panties and see if my symptoms improve.
So I messed up on my pill pack 2 months ago and had to stop taking them. After I had my period I waited another full month with out it before completely starting over. During that time no itching! I couldn't believe it! Best month ever lol. Anyway 2 weeks ago I started my pill again and what do you know, my itchiness came back! Starting to think our hormones are playing more of a larger role then we thought. I take Apri birth control and I'm going to talk to my doctor about switching or just going off of them because I can't stand it anymore.
It itches so bad that it burns and swells up. I can't help but itch. It is the absolute worst pain I have ever felt and consumes every bit of attention. I sometimes want to cry because I feel so out of control. I put yeast cream and hydrocortisone on it and it temporarily helps. The first time I ever had problems was when I was in my early 20's...I went on vacation and all the walking in the airport somehow started to irratate the whole area- by the time I got to the destination and the hotel I could not walk- My vaginal lips were gigantic and I was in so much pain I went to the ER! They were completely unhelpful- they gave me a shot for pain in my butt that made me sick and puke then told me to buy hydrocortisone. I have had the 1,000 bill from the hospital on my credit report all this time. The hydrocortisone made the problem go away but I still had to rent a scooter to go through disney world and was still so sick from the shot they gave me the day before that I spent the whole day in the Disney sick room puking. I am 30 now and have had the horrible itching on and off. It never got as bad as the first time but still swells up like a balloon when I give in to itching. I notice it the most around periods/ stressful times and while I was pregnant with both of my kids. I haven't noticed peeling skin. My obgyn was no help. Hope a cure comes soon.
I have psoriasis and eczema and i belieeve that the itching is from that, Sarna Lotion will stop any itching.. whether its from dry skin, bug bites, or your itching... It is a life saver trust me!  It's a little pricey but the itchy instantly disappears.... I used it for bug bites and this itch and both instantly were gone.  You can get it at walgreens or walmart..
I am only 14 and two days ago i got super itchy, i didnt think anything of it   but now it is driving me insane. I dont have any discharge and im not on my period, but my labia is swollen and red. I'm too embarrassed to tell my mom. What do it do?
I meant I do not it do.
Please help me!
Hi,  I too have suffered this, it lasted for 5 years.  I went from cream to ointment to lotion and nothing worked.  I went to a dermatologist who perscribed anti-depressents as he believed it was stress/anxiety enduced.  I didnt get on with the anti-depressants simply because I was on cloud cookoo most of the day whilst taking them.   However, I do believe there is something in the stress/anxiety diagnosis.  I started trying to relax more, took up yoga, then, one day for no apparent reason, it just stopped!  It has been 2 years now and all of a sudden it is back!  I am fighting it though, I wake up in the night scratching but during the day I try to work past it.  Its not easy and I am practicing relaxation technique's.  I do think though that creams and lotions just irritate the problem even more.
Hope this helps x
Hi all,

Well, I've got it too. It seems to be directly related to sex. I just don't know what part of sex.

A year ago I had a sex for about a month with a guy I was dating, and I had itching then. When we broke up it stopped.

I didn't have sex for a year, now I'm having sex again, and it's back -- only worse!!

No discharge, no odor, no rash -- nothing but this horrible itch. I'm trying everything and just trying to get it to go away. Once it goes away I will try to approach sex systematically to see what might be causing it. Condoms, saliva, sperm, other irritations . . . God, this *****.
Hey all -- I think I might have just actually discovered what caused this for me, and it isn't sex!!!

IT'S BUBBLE BATH!!!

I'm almost certain of it. The two times this has happened has been at a time when I was suddenly having a lot of sex, but it so happens that I also took very lovely bubble baths as well -- something I never do. And with the same kind of bubble bath from Origins.

This is not a coincidence, and now i find that bubble bath causes yeast infections in some women right away. I'm going to get some Monistat . . .  I don't have anything other than itching, but maybe it's a minor yeast infection.
Like many of you ladies, it is such a relief to find this discussion and discover I'm not alone.

I'm 39 and have been experiencing extreme itching on my inner labia and anus on and off for about 15 years.  It drives me absolutely crazy, and has affected my sex life, and self confidence very negatively. I do not have thrush - this is different.

I'm sorry to say that after all this time I do not have an answer to this common and difficult problem. What I do know is that sugar, alchohol and stress make it worse. And drinking lots of water, doing yoga and taking regular excercise helps. I get great relief from Rescue Cream (Bach Flower remedies) - it's a bit stingy when 1st applied but I've found it offers greater relief than Sudocream or anything the doctor has prescribed. I have also been working with a therapist to explore any underlying mental and emotional issues and a medical herbalist who is endeavouring to support my system holistically - But I do still itch, but not half as bad as I used to before I learned to look after myself a bit better.  It's been a long and painful journey and even though I haven't managed to ditch the itch yet - I am still hopeful that I will get to the bottom of it (excuse the pun!)  

I will try some of the tips I've found here - like drinking warm water and lemon-juice in the morning.  

Thanks for the solidarity.
More info, no answers. Like many here, I"m completely relieved to find this forum. I have these exact symptoms--itchy inbetween inner and outer labia, no smell, no discharge, occassional anal itching associated, the "paper cut" feel around my clitoris, have tried baths, haven't seen my gyn about this. And, I am menopausal, married and neither my husband  or I have had STDs. I do think stress and hormonal fluctations must contribute. because I think they contribute to most things. This started this past few months I think. Comes and goes, I can't figure a pattern. The sugar and wine argument is intersting though since I had really cut down and hadn't had any itching but a recent trip has entailed lots of both (certainly more than usual) so that may be related. It is appalling that so many of us have experienced this and docs are clueless. I will probably ask mine about it but am not optimistic.

Thank you all and have an itch-free thanksgiving,
bar54
I can not believe that I found this forum and that we all in some way or another have the same issue.  What I have found is the major itch is close to the labia, but I have two spots, one on each side, close to the bottom of hair line.  I have been tested as well and all came back ok and I was given two types of anitbiotic which did not work and then a cream, which gave me relief until the day after a shower.  As all of you, it itch's the most afte I urinate and sometimes I can't help but scratch.  I know I am leaving scares and opening tissue, but damn if a Dr. would give me an answer I would stop.  

I was told to try Mayo (pure) to make sure it was not crabs.  So I bought some, tried it and it did the same as using all the other products.  Then I was told to use neosporin.  I have to admit it does seem to be doing something.  I still have an itch, but when I go to itch It hurts as, where I have torn the tissue is forming a scab.  It does take the itch away, but when I bathe, of course it cleans that area and I am fine without anything for a day and then it starts back up.  I bathe daily and have.  I have no idea how it became as there was only two things that happened around the time it started.  One sex and two I used my husbands beard trimmer to trim myself and I remember getting closer in those three areas than normal.  I thought maybe I got a bacterial infection, nope did not work.  Oh when I would normally start (had surgery that stops my perionds but not my PMS) I will get brown discharge for a day.

I am going to stay on the neosporin see what happens.  This is crazy that there are so many of us and no one has found an answer.
I have to be honest and say that I can't tell you how relieved I am that so many others are having the same problem as I am - though I would not wish this irritation on anyone! The itching and swelling of my labia started in September just a few days after my period. I have no sex life to speak of at the moment so that rules out STIs and I'd never had a yeast infection before but at the urging of my sister I used one of the Monistat treatments - which only caused me more grief with the abdominal cramping and huge mess. In any case, the nearly unbearable itching was better treated with the included anti-itch cream and about four days into the 7 day treatment the itching stopped completely and so I stopped the Monistat.

I had no problems until October and again just a few days after my period. I had an unrelated visit with my doc during that time and mentioned that I thought I might have a yeast infection and briefly described my symptoms. He agreed and prescribed me a one dose antibiotic that he said should give me relief within a couple of days. Meanwhile, I used the rest of the Monistat anti-itch cream which at least allowed me to get relief enough to sleep. Once again the itching went away a few days later and I figured I had had a yeast infection.

Now, November and only a few days after my period I am once again plagued by the painful itching and swelling w/o discharge or odor. I have an appointment with an OB/GYN in the morning and bought some lidocaine in the interm because I feel like I am going insane! It was horrid horrid horrid yesterday, however, today it seems to have lessen to a dull roar and so now I am wondering if it will disappear all together before tomorrow. Twice (once in October and again this month) when the itch started up I removed my pubic hair because it just seemed to exacerbate the itch and it seemed to help some but definitely not enough.

I think the hormone related idea is very probable at least based on what many of the posts have intimated and the eczema probability seems also high. I have eczema in my ear canals of all places and my doc said it is because of the moisture that get trapped there. I have a corticosteroid for my ear canals which I have been afraid to try down below but it is definitely something I am mentioning to the OB tomorrow.

Bless you ladies and here's hoping we can all conquer this!

I am having this same problem. It has been off and on for about 1.5 years now. It just flared up again about 3 days ago and it's the worst it's ever been. I am only 18, so I'm no where near menopause. I've only had one sex partner ever and I was his first, as well. It did seem to start around the same time I began taking birth control though.

I've used several yeast infection treatments, to no avail. I have no discharge, odor, or tingling feelings; just itching. Right now my outer lips are raw, because I've been scratching so much. I know I shouldn't, but sometimes it's so bad, the pain is worth it.

I've used wipes, salt baths, etc. Nothing works. I get a few moments of relief immediately after the shower, but within minutes, it's back. I have not tried anti-fungal cream. I plan on using it next.

I'm desperate, at this point.
i am also having these problems... since .. last weekish?
ive found hot baths help =] ... and it doesnt bother me during sex (strange)
but ive kinda scratched to the point wear im peeling... im gna try egnor the itch try not to itch it . and not use the creams .. drinks lots of water nd see it if goes natruly =]

ill comment agen if it works xxx
Ok ... ive tried COMPLETELY egnoring it... and avoiding moving around loads... and .. it feels normle agen.... lets HOPE it lasts x
Glad to know there are other's who itch out there. Mine seems a bit different though, I am itchy on the inner lips like others have said but no burning or extreme itchyness or anything. Just a slight itch that is slightly annoying more so then actually bothersome. Especially when I wake up. I know its not a UTI or Yeast because I have had those both before. I do get brazillian waxes so Im wondering if it has to do with that. Or maybe the fact that my boyfriend and I do have sex more then often and I also masturbate quite frequently. The rest of the skin on my body is fairly dry too so maybe its just dry down there? I am not overly concerned and it has only been for a little while not years like others have said. My only concern is that when my boyfriend and I had sex last night I left a bit of a mark on the sheets, almost looked like a bit of blood, but I am not on my period. Maybe do I just have a scratch down there, which is itchy, and it just got irritated or reopened during sex and that's why I left a mark on the sheets? Oh theories...
ok... so ive tried egnoring it for a few days ... wich had helped a little... but... now i am actully getting random discharge .. and it doesnt look great... and the other nyt i woke up at about 3:40 am with extream itchyness... i had to sleep with a hot water bottle inbetween my legs :/..

im running out of idea's..

im going to a"G.U.M" clinick on monday..

ive i am given adive that works etc... i will tell you all right away... cuz i KNOW its a pain in the......well yeh
x
I have had the same problem an itch around the anus and itch around the vagina. I was on 8 rounds of antibiotics (staph in throat and sinuses) and suddenly I got this itch (no foul discharge) . Sex burned when I did not use a condom and this has never happened to me before. Sooo...I did some serious research and even pulled out my ole trusty microscope and some agar plates. It looks like candida and staph (probably from oral sex with my man).  I came up with a nice formula which seems to be working. (note both bacteria and staph live in your vagina, when one is killed the other overpopulates) Your ph needs to be readjusted. First I got a script of diflucan. Then I got some hydrocortisone. I use this then apply a light layer of monistat on top. I did not have sex for a week, then used a condom today (no burn). I am using a candida natural cleanser (which is a supplement with garlic, licorice..etc) vit c, and added collidal silver drops for two weeks (better than antibiotics but don't I don't use this too long because it can cause a discoloration of the skin). I had these symptoms for four months and I have had relief for two weeks now. I also have had eczma (eczema) and rhoids and those are getting better too. Hope this helps. I'm not a doctor though, it appears to be a ph problem that creates secondary infections and alleric reactions to acidic vaginal discharge causing an inflammation of the skin. Please note I am not a doctor either just a microbiology nerd.
I've had this itchy skin issue my whole life. In my case it is just a "scratch & itch syndrome" unless there was something the doctors missed. But the genetal and anal itching always comes back even if it goes away. It is very frustrating. The skin gets irritated for one reason or another and then the skin gets damaged with itching and the cycle begins.

Here's what I do to get rid of it:

1) DO NOT ITCH, by any means necessary.  
2) Sleeping aids that keep you asleep at night so you won't itch it and make it worst.
3) This prescribed ointment has helped me the best, called TRIAMCINOLONE ACETONIDE 0.1%
4) Ice your crotch at night before bedtime for 5-10 minutes reduces the swelling.
5) Cut your nails short in case you scratch accidently.
6) Wear a loose one piece at nighty so you can't reach your genetal area.
7) Cover your hands if you can't keep yourself from itching at night. Wear socks around your hands.
8) Use a very sensitive soap or no soap at all.
9) Wear cotten underwear, no g-strings, no tight clothing.
10) Keep the area dry, try a power like Caldesene Zinc Oxide and Talc Powder

Good luck & Hope this helps!
I am experiencing all the same symptoms.  I could handle it a few days ago, but last night and the night before i actually woke up because of the itching. i have a doctors appointment tomorrow and will report any news.
I have had this for a few months. Well actually a few years, I had it about 3 years ago for a few months or a year after y first child and now all of  sudden for the opast 3 or 4 months  I have had it for 3 weeks out of the month. My dr said I test positive for BV and has prescried me cleocin vaginal ovules which is a 3 day supply she told me to use every month for 6 molnths right after my period...it only works for 3 days! I insert the suppositories at night an dit BURNS BURNS BURNS for about 15 or 20 minutes and then it feel great. But I do not haev discharge just inflamed labias, bright red, itching, and I get little cuts around where mylabia majora meets my labia minora, im only 21 and I feel theres no way it could be menopausal related...BUT I do feel it could be hormonal related, I asked my dr a year ago to test my hormone levels for other reasons and she chose to put on me on BC instead and im allergic to every form so that didnt work then she chose antidepressants....that didnt work either for the reason I wanted....but hormones...that could be it....I will be calling her this week to reschedule and MAKE her test my hormones...im in so much discomfort its not funny.
I too have had this itching problem and recently got relief from using antifungal cream for "jock itch".  It helped break the cycle of scratching and causing more itching by damaging the delicate skin. Believe me, I am thrilled.
I am glad I found this site and have read your stories. I have an itch downstairs with no discharge that started in the upper part of the vagina. At first thought it was due to hair regrowth, then mild redness began. There is slight dryness to the skin in the outer ring with some flaking. I have tried antibiotic/antifungal/steroid ointment. The itch is bearable but definatly worse in the evening.
My History: I was pregnant up until Nov 1st (had miscariage). Three weeks later after having sex I took Plan B. Within a few days I expereinced all symptoms of a UTI. am glad I found this site and have read your stories. I have an itch dow Per Dr was put on Cephalexin for UTI. I took lots of probiotics to avoid yeast infection. One week after Plan B got period. Had period for 3 days then itching began. It has now been one week since period began and itching is still present. I have not gotten tested for STD's or seen an OBGYN....yet. I still have no internal symptoms of yeast infection, no discharge, no smell. I was vaccinated for HPV a few years ago.
All these testimonials scare me and make me think more as to if this is hormonal or realated to vaccines and medications. Good luck to all for finding a solution.
I am now 30 and suffering with this since i was 18. Originally had discharge and smell but after over the counter treatment it went away. Now i get icthing but no discharge or odour. Comes every couple of months  just before  my periods. Washing with warm garlic water helps but only for a while. did test no signs of infection. Wish i could get rid of this permanently. seriously affecting my sex life.
Just gotta keeping looking for a cure.
this might be the answer, this is a type of yeast infection called:

Candidal vulvovaginitis is a candidal infection of the vaginal tract. Candida albicans is a common inhabitant of the vaginal tract and can result in itching, redness, irritation, and burning.

Ask your doctor what can be done to eliminate or subdue vaginal yeast infections.
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/candidal+vulvovaginitis
Well, Hello! Me too suffering from this same issue of the tissue...I have been itching now since my 30's I am now 46...the same symptoms as most everyone here. No discharge no smell...I have never been on the pill...never been pregnant...very healthy other wise...sexually active...Mine started at the anus and then the very top of my vagina lip on the left side only... My Doctor gave me hyrocodizone a steroid cream to easy the itching...works for an hour or so...but I want a cure...I want to know what it is...no pain just itches like HECK! more at night then during the day...feels like something currying around underneath my skin...very uncomfortable to live with...So I join the forces of this itchy phenomenon of the labia women...I am going to try Boric Acid...our mothers mother use to use this for yeast infections...I am at a loss...I want to be cured of this NOW...its toughing up the skin around my clit so now oral sex is not as pleasurable...    
check out this website. you will get all the info you need about your itch. http://www.drmirkin.com  then go to yeasr infection at the top left of the page
"fluconazole 150mg" works wonders. speak to your dr about it
I just started getting these symptoms about a week ago. The funny thing is that mine started after... a period of pretty fierce masturbating. Lol. I thought that maybe I'd chafed myself or rubbed myself raw and that it would heal in a day, but when I wipe after peeing it feels like SANDPAPER, and it hasn't gone away. Its a painful itch that just hurts more when I scratch, and like someone (or some people) have mentioned, I have that paper cut feeling on my clitoris. I don't have any discharge, or any odor. The pain/itch for me runs all the way up the inside of my labia up to my clitoris. I haven't seen a doc about it yet, but if it lasts for a few more days, I think I will. I've been thinking about investing in some sort of vagisil cream, too.
What I've discovered.....previous posts listed above.
A) Sugar/ Wheat...wheat breaks down as well as alcohol to sugar...my body doesnt handle these well ...went on a wheat free diet for 2 months and greatly reduced the itching...then became very stressed and symptoms came back 10 folds and have stopped the wheat free diet and try to do a wheat ....less, eat less wheat.  Sugar definitely makes it worse
B) soaking in apple cider vinegar does help and I use an eczema cream I purchased while in mexico...got a rash under my watch when I was there and this helps alot.
C) no soap down below, good water and cleaning under the hood of clitoris
D)no tampons, just pads changed on a really regular basis, cotton underwear, dreft baby detergent on undies rinsed 2x helps
E) Stress makes it worse
F) Yes, itch worse after sex....my husband uses irish spring...I'm very allergic to this soap in general, so I tell him to wash with my soap before we have sex and make sure hands are clean as well.
G)  Itching stops for me when on my period....so I believe there is a hormone link and I never had these issues before having children and multiple yeast/BV infections from an IUD I had removed...I read somewhere through my years of research that when you have some tramatic issue...bad yeast, BV, give birth what have you, sometimes your body continues to fight infections or be traumatized and keeps trying to fight something that isnt there....could be our bodies natural responses screwed up...I dont know how to fix that one.
H)  My sex life with husband has been greatly affected and I know sex is incredibly important to a relationship and we have had our struggles, but I have become creative and found other ways to pleasure him and keep him happy....even if I dont get the satisfaction anymore because of the physical and mental issues that have come along with this, hand jobs, **'s, baby oil between the thighs, crack of butt, toys....it works and it helps him also...remember, he doesnt understand what you are going through either and just like you want to feel desired and wanted so does he....this has helped us a lot and even letting my husband know about this forum and that I'm not the only one suffering with this ...helped him understand a little. Dont hide this from your spouse......you should be open so he doesnt some how doubt himself and think something is wrong with him, be open and even show him...I have the peeling skin and I showed my husband and the redness and I put it in this perspective.....imagine you penis, itching like you have poison oak on it 24/7 and you itch like crazy and then you itch and it gets raw and small tears and your shedding skin like you just had a blistering sun burn and your skin layers are peeling off  of your penis and then you have your underwear rubbing you and you still have to go through life day to day and cant figure out what is wrong with you  and feel like your going crazy and you cant just itch yourself in public but you have this constant naw on your brain because there is a constant itch on your penis..... sometimes you have to put them in that corner to make them understand.

In my experience, diet, stress, hormones and allergies all have something to do with this itch...I just dont have a cure.... Its great to know were not alone and new suggestions are always appreciated. Hang in there ladies;)
man...i had this issue for 3 months straight. it started when i got an allergic reaction to some pads...i changed brands and it got worse. my lips were swollen and i wasnt having it. i couldnt sleep and i had ice packs every night. i took benedryl..i went to see the OB 2xs and both times they said i was fine. i even did a papsmear and it didnt work. vagisil made it worse...but the wipes relieved it a little bit. i changed my soaps to non scented and nothing was working. finally i decided it was probably the food i was eating so i went on a veggie spree for a week. after eliminating and trying different things, i realized that i cant eat too much citrus nor can i have caffeine( including tea=(). I finally noticed that every time i over do it with these things...it sets me off down there. it really sux but please try it. i hope this helps. i was so scared and embarrassed and i understand everyone's pain. please let me know if this works. oh and also! for the ladies that are allergic to pads like i am...go to henrys market and they sell organic pads! they are awesome...and they got tampons too=) Good luck ladies im prayin for you all.
Dear all,
I really cannot believe this post has gone on for more than 3 years! this is a serious issue and i wish the doctors would take notice...

i have no remedy for this but can only provide more info...im in agreement with many that it is hormonal related...

i recently miscarried at 6 weeks and had to wear pads for sometime afterwards. i never wear pads b/c im used to wearing the mooncup, but needed to wear pads - so i bought ultra whisper pads randomly off the shelf. i noticed about one week into wearing them that i suddenly had major itching and tingling sensations around the lips of my vagina. also the itching started on the left side. and just like all of you, i have had the EXACT same symptoms...itching, swelling, drying of skin, chapping and peeling of skin, tp-like tissue on the lips, cuts appearing between the folds of the lips, redness, and NO discharge and NO warts or blisters...went to the gyn that helped with my miscarriage and he told me it was herpes! this is CANNOT be the case as im in a monogamous relationship and even more, i have no symptoms of classical herpes. did a culture test - everything negative, even yeast infection.  i thought maybe it was an allergic reaction to the pads and is taking time to go away? or maybe now im wondering if the combination of the pads and the pregnancy hormones have somehow started this whole thing and it will be a chronic condition???

SO..it has now been one month since the miscarriage and i still have the itchiness and flaking skin around my lips and now the itchiness is spreading towards the crevices right before my anus. the only thing that alleviated the itching temporarily was almond oil but the itchiness returned right after the return of my menses, which was just last week and was a very short cycle...so i guess my hormones are still fluctuating?

i just hope that once this has started that it does not last for 15 years like some of you have experienced...

this forum is very, very helpful and i am so relieved to know that i am not alone in this. i will try the anti-jock itch and maybe even look for coildal silver or piriton...would prefer to do things naturally though and not use chemicals....

hope more suggestions continue to be posted...

thank you to everyone for posting...

Thanks for all of your comments ladies. It was wonderful to hear I am not alone.

Same symptoms: itchy labia to anus region, peeling skin/toilet paper like, comes and goes. For 2 years now.

I've been checked for yeast infection, STD's, everything.

I have always associated it with stress. Thanks for all the other suggestions.

If this is happening to so many women, this should be addressed. How do we bring this forward?
I have the same problem and am so glad to have found this thread.  It makes me feel like I am not alone.  For me the itchiness is worst when I go to bed at night.  Like many of you--no discharge, no smell, no infection, no STD.  Gynecologist says I am "normal".  I disagree with that!  I am starting to take Shatavari which is supposed to help regulate women's reproductive system.  I'll let you know if it works.
I've only been suffering about 3 months. I see that some of you have been going on years and I can't imagine.

I'm having a lot of luck with HOMEOPATHIC SULFUR 3x a day.

My symptoms, unlike some of you, were worse during the day and better at night after i was able to shower and put on loose pj pants. just itching in between the labial folds. No discharge, no odor. I tried treating as a yeast infection and did 7 days of diflucan! no relief. then a yeast free diet for the past 6 weeks. no relief. My mom said sulfur is good for all skin conditions so i gave it a try and I'm finally not scratching all day!

Tried what felt like a million things before this and I'm finally getting some relief. I don't want to jinx it - it's only been about 3 days of feeling better. But wanted to let you guys know in case it helps you too!

Please post your experience if you do try the SULFUR!!!
Mine corresponded with going off Effexor...anyone else?
I came across this forum because I too have been having these symptoms as of late. For about a week or two I've had itching of the labia on the right side. No discharge, no foul odors...just itching, and the itching is worse at night. At first I thought I transferred some yeast germs to this area from my foot somehow because I am recovering from an ugly case of athlete's foot.

Well...after a little more digging on the internet I found a website that described EVERYONE'S symptoms...itching at night, little red bumps, peeling, and including itchiness of the anus as others have described...

Turns out it's called PRURITUS VULVAE. One of the things that causes it is stress, which makes mucho sense for me because I've been UBER stressed for about a month because I have recently switched to working 12 hour days from 8 hour days with very little sleep in between.

Other things that can cause it are diabetes, irritants of some sort, HPV, yeast (oh goody, lol), and other more serious things but I doubt all of us are having serious health issues like that. It did mention that people can have this problem for years not knowing what it is.

Glad to know there's a name for this mess, cuz I'm sick of scratching...the scratching is orgasmic, but it just makes it itchier and can lead to cuts :(.

To treat it, you need to clear up whatever underlying issue is causing it. Kinda hard when you don't know what that is, but if you're stressed, try to alleviate it. Do process of elimination for allergens...I'm particularly not tolerant of gluten and it causes my almost healed foot to itch for no reason whenever I eat bread or rice. Try not to scratch, etc.

Good luck to all...I'm gonna see if more sleep alleviates my problem.
I am 61 yrs old and started with this same condition about 3 days ago.... I am very red " down there"  ..It is on the outside & when you pull the lips apart very red there also... The itching is intense !  feels like a million bugs crawling .  There is no odor or discharge. cant sleep because of the itching.. I had a uti & took amoxicillin for 12 days and this started right after I ended the treatment.  I took probiotics to keep from getting a yeast infection.. in fact I take a probiotic pill daily.  I use to get these many years ago when I was much younger & dr just said it was from wearing tight jeans but that is not my problem now.  I get alot of uti's & take antibiotics often and never had this happen from the antibiotics... I have been putting a hydrocortisone cream on with no relief.  It seems to get much worse in the evening before bedtime.  I also tried destin but that didnt help either.  mine isnt from waxing, or sex,or hot tubs, tight clothes, birth control pills, etc so there is something going on .
I tried Vagisil cream last nite & that seemed to help a little better then anything I have tried so far but even with benadryl in my system I still could not sleep with the intense itching.......did a baking soda bath today & that has seemed to help alot !  cheapest thing as worked better then anything.  I think mine is an allergic reaction to something.... I always use white toilet tissue and noticed one brand of sanitary pads I have been using for leaking has a blue dye used on top of it ......  my neice got this same problem from using a baby wipe when she was not able to obtain toilet tissue so i would stay away from baby wipes... air is very healing so if at all possible try to not wear anything from waist down and just wear a loose skirt or dress or robe so air can get to it..... Salt water is very healing also but afraid that may burn & hurt if skin is already a little red....  I have a 2 yr old grandaughter & if she has a wet diaper on for more then a hr or so she gets very red & raw & burns down there also even if you have used diaper cream first......  must be something in some of our systems that make us prone to this ....
I just saw your post about the Poise pads...... I have been using them for a couple of years and havent had a problem until just now ......  so not sure if that is my problem ...
It is 4:43 am an I cannot sleep from the pain and itching.  It is a relief and at the same time a tragedy to find out so many women have the same problem.  I am 31 and have been suffering on and off with these symptoms all my adult life.  Tonight it is so bad I feel like going to a hospital but know I would only wait eight hours then be misdiagnosed with a yeast infection so why bother.  I am seeing my Dr. on wednesday but doubt he'll have any new magical solutions for me.  I'll let you all know if I find anything out.  One thing I've found on other sites is that we may be allergic to our partner's sperm.  Thanks for all the helpful suggestions out there.  I will try many of them if my Dr. has no new answers.

Take care everbody and try to stay sane.
I was diagnosed with having BV a few months ago but the treatment DID NOT help with the itching. I have that itching in the same area (inner lips). My doctor doesnt know what it is and I dont either. I notice it more right after my period or when I am stressed. It is not HORRIBLE itching but it is annoying. I am starting to think it is toilet tissue...and I mean ALL toilet tissue. I think it somehow irritates something down there. Hope we find a cure soon!
Hi, I'm actually only 17, but after having sex with my partner recently, I noticed the itch. Im on my period right now, and it's still itching. This didn't happen last time I was with him, but we had sex a few weeks later and it just started. He nor I have slept with anyone but eachother since. It's driving me crazy! I also have the itching on and around the inner lips/ opening of my vagina. I saw some 19 year olds and such in here, so I'm questioning the menopause thing. I used a one day yeast infection pill right before my period, and there is no releif, so that musn't be it. However, the cream that comes in the kit does sooth it for me and that's all I can think to use right now. If there are any younger ladies with this problem, let me know! I've only had it over a week now but holy cow I want it gone!!! Let me know please and thanks so much guys.
I jus started experiencing this irritating itch 4 about 4 days now...n likk otha females said it only happens at nite n durin the day i be find...ive used baby powder thinkin mayb it will help n yeh it helped 4 a lil bit of time but it started back up itchin again im pretty sure its not a std...it keeps me up at nite n i dnt kno wat 2 do
N i dnt have smellin or burnin but da cuts above my clitoris mayb frm scratchin
okay, so what you need to look at is whether or not the itching increases just before your periods. Going over all the post here it seems that most of  this is related to hormonal changes. Periods,sex, babies. So what you need to do is as you feel the first signs of itching apply an antifungal cream. With the hormonal changes the bad bacteria in your body overides the good bacteria. Acidophillus is a good bacteria that can be found in a pill. (real cheap) Taking this reguralises the bacteria in your body and neutralises the itch. Anyone of you that says this does not work then yours is not related to hormones. Allergies to your spouses sperm is a possibilty. But not just his sperm, it could be that he also needs a the Acidophillus. Try it. Worked for me this time. For the first time in years no itching with my periods.
soak paper towel or cotton balls with warm water.. dab with organic (preferably Bragg brand) unfiltered apple cider vinegar several times a day. might sting initially; tough it out for a minute or so then wash with warm water. or try a warm bath with approx 1-1.5 cup unfiltered apple cider vinegar mixed in. smells like hell. works like heaven.

drink plenty of water and it would also be wise to add burdock root (may be purchased from vitamin world in pill form or eaten whole as a vegetable) to your diet. if taking as a pill supplement, usually about 2 capsules a day would suffice. cleans our bacteria effectively @ a reasonable price and no side effects.

hi there
think problem is sweat from between legs which drips toward opening & reason bothers more at night & one side is because we are lying still on 1 side of couch or bed and that side sweats more. think reason not as bad in day is because we have on panties and there is no contact between vulva and leg crease skin
also think it may be due to weight as didn't have problem until i got heavier. think the extra weight in leg area may prevent air from getting through so sweat more in that area.  never sweater that much near there before.  also think warm weather makes it itch more because we sweat more .
read the posts, have the problem, and based on what i read and have figured out from reading, going to try the jock itch solution & apple cidar.
  Wow - thought I was the only one dealing with this! I am 45 yrs old, and have starting with the itching only within the last 6 months. Only thing I can think that I have changed is that I was on Antibiotics 2x for a sinus infection within this time. It does get worse before my period. I went to the gyno - said if it was cyclical, there was nothing he could do. I treated myself for a yeast infection, which did relieve it, but now is back again - AFTER THE 2nd ROUND OF ANTIBIOTICS. After reading these posts, I am going to try the Acidophillus in a Probiotic form and drink lots of water.
  I am trying to figure out if it is something I am eating, a spice, acidic foods, or something, but then I think, again, it's much worse before my period, so could it be hormonal?
  Ladies I share in your plight - it's good to know that I am not the only one out there that is fidgeting because of vulva itch - maybe we should create a sign we could inconspicuously share as part of the Itchy Vulva   Society! No dues required! LOL  Hang in there all - please post a CURE if you find one.
i have been suffering with this problem for manymany years. i have tried almost everything , last nite, it was awfful, today i am going to my doctor to have a chat with him and see what he thinks is the problem i think i will ask her to refer  me to a dermo or else i will ask for a priscription (prescription) of cinonide like one user suggested ornystatin and triamcinolone acetonide cream usp.. this thing is driving me crazy!!
Ok...my sleep schedule went back to normal but...I'm still itching. Still.

I'm convinced it's something...bacterial. But it's so weird because it's RIGHT on my pantyline, inside leg, right side only!!! It hasn't spread...but to look at it, it's a dry patch. Red. As I said before, to scratch it is orgasmic but it also tears the skin up. Trying to not scratch is hard. And if that area gets hot/damp, it itches more.

What I'm gonna try is putting Lotrimin on it. I feel like this issue is in part due to that stupid athlete's foot I had. I know Lotrimin is not for the crotch but I figure it's worth a shot since my issue isn't on the inner periphery where mucous membranes reside.

I'm chalking this up to some sort of hormonal imbalance rearing it's ugly head, because I know it's not from anything else. I've slept, I eat good, I don't take antibiotics or any medicine and never have, I don't sleep around as my significant other and I have been monogomous partners for 5+ years and I've never EVER had this problem before. Well, now that I think of it, the only thing that has changed is I've gained a little weight...about 10 lbs. Hormonally that could probably mess me up a little.

If this trick doesn't work, I'll try apple cider vinegar. I have faith in it.
I share the same symptoms as Pinklemonad.  My itching and slight redness is on the outer vulva RIGHT on my pantyline (my itchyness and redness is on both sides).  I'm 46 and menopausal.  This whole itchyness thing started a few weeks ago around the anus area.  And while the anus area is better, my pantyline area is itchy. And, I've also put on a little weight recently.  I was using polysporin and baby powder which seemed to help. Tea Tree Oil defnitely seemed to help as well.  In fact I thought whatever it was had run its course and I would help it along with a little hydrocortisone cream last night.  This morning the itching and redness has been the worst its ever been.  I'm having a difficult time finding relief.  

So..I'm going to try the jock itch remedies and see if that helps.  But I do suspect this is a combination of diet and hormonal imbalance.  
I too found that I was itching like crazy...keeping me up at night. I had an unbelievably horrendous yeast infection a couple of month's ago. I was on an oral drug for a good 10 days. Something quite strong. Was good for two weeks and it started up again. I was on the same oral drug for 10 days again. After a week the itching started up again but it started as an anal itch and then traveled to one side of my labia.  I started to get some cracks. I tried zinc ointment and hydrocortisone. Nothing helped for long. Then I decided to try this ointment that I had ordered from Canada for cuts. My parents always used it so I grew up with it. WOW what a difference. A good night's sleep and the itch has abated. I feel like normal. Check this out. I used Ozonol with the antibiotic and also without the antibiotic. The first with the antibiotic worked better although the other worked fairly well also. I think the first was what I needed initially and the other is keeping me where I need to be. I ordered mine from Well.Ca but I think you can find it at other Canadian companies. I also went to the Natural Food store and am doing a yeast cleanse.
I just wanted to give a quick update on my previous note.  I had mentioned I thought this itchyness had run its course and I would help it along with a hydrocortisone cream last time.  When I woke up this morning the redness and itchyness was worse.  I was informed today by a dermatologist that steroids (hydrocortisone is a steroid) should not be used in the groin since steroids alone can make the rash of jock itch much worse.  I suspected I might have female jock itch (not sure what the technical term is for females since we don't wear jocks).  At any rate, I've applied Clotrimazole to the affect area.  So I'll see how that works out and post back.
I have suffered burning sensations in my vulva area, which builds up to internal cramps. I am very sensitive to touch & any form of pressure on the area. I go for wees frequently. This can get so bad it stops me concentrating and even sleeping.
What I have found is orgasms make the problem go away, only to return after a few days. This is a constant cycle which is hard work to keep on top of - but it seems to me that this is what this is - a sexual tension/over-sensitivity that is only relieved by sexual relief!
What does everybody else think???
Oh boy - such suffering. Where to begin? I am not a doc, but I am an aspiring nurse. I just found this forum, and I want to share my analysis of everyone's posts and provide my own information for reference. I'm gonna be VERY honest and descriptive for you.

Past Hx of vaginal itching: Some irritation after spin classes while wearing pantyliners - I attributed this to be the same as a diaper rash, and treated it by keeping clean and dabbing a bit of desitin (zinc oxide) on the irritated areas. Success with this approach.

My Symptoms:
- Severe itching on my posterior labia minora ~ 1 month
- Scratching is orgasmic - it feels SO good - but then, it burns because I've scratched it raw with some bleeding. After an episode like this, it burns when I urinate and is very painful. It'll burn at night, keeping me awake. Sometimes I'll wake up scratching this area.
- Started just before my last period (week btwn christmas and new years), worse when I was on my period, a bit better after period - but it's been about three weeks after period and still itching.

My Significant Medical History: Hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis = autoimmune attack of body to thyroid)

Doctor preference: Nurse Practitioner for routine exams. Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.)  is my next choice. I do NOT see M.D.s - sorry, but I only see them if I have just suffered a major trauma or need specialist-type care and then only if a D.O. in that specialty is not available. If my insurance would pay for it, I would see a Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.) especially for THIS condition. I see a chiropractor weekly for maintenance, but even this isn't your basic type of D.C. it is called Network Chiropractic or Network Spinal Analysis - google it for more information about this non-invasive type of spinal alignment.
---To be cont'd---
--Cont'd---

My Lifestyle/Lifestyle changes last 6 weeks:
- I'm 36-yrs old
- Monogamous marriage >13 years
- No kids, no pregnancies
- Monophase birth control pills for 90 days then period. Orthocept is the brand name. Been doing this for 2 years.
- New job as of 16 Nov, very stressful
- Holidays, visitors + new job = VERY stressful
- New clothing for job - poly-wool blends cause me increased irritation all over my body - body is stressed out.
- New undies since began job - switched from cotton to synthetic
- Exercise in the a.m. before work
- Exercise decreased from ~5x/week to ~ 3x/week, usually elliptical, push-up/sit-up/stretching. Previously did aerobic classes and body conditioning classes, but schedule doesn't agree with new job.
- Stopped yoga - really miss it, but also not convenient with new job
- Recent weight gain ~ 10lbs due to recent less healthy diet, holiday diet, less exercise
- Not drinking enough water for ~ 1 month.
- Usually don't wear undies at night, just pjs - either gown or pants, but when started job, I wore undies to bed, but stopped wearing undies at night when itching started, and it seems to help.
- Occasional incontinence, not much, just a dribble. Why do I ALWAYS have to go SO bad when I get home from work, but never felt like I had the urge before? Maybe gravity setting in after a 1-hr drive?

My Complications and Treatments:
I haven't been to a doc, yet.
- Worse with vaginal intercourse (irritation)
- Better with orgasm (self-stimulated with vibrator)
- Worse with wiping
- Feels a little better when I use a baby/scott wipe, but does't last long
- Desitin seems to relieve irritation and inflammation
- Rinsing with warm water and no soap and patting excess water with soft towel, but allowing to air dry the rest of the way seems to help after urination or BM. But, can't do this when I'm working, only weekends when hanging around the house.
My Analysis:
The commonalities of attempted treatments that failed to knock out this issue and the common things that we have experienced bring me to this analysis:

The Root is Stress: we're all stressed about something. Some of us are internally stressed, some are externally stressed, some of us have both types of stressors.
Internal stress: underlying medical condition that our body is adjusting or compensating for in its own dynamic way.
External stress: changes in environment and/or lifestyle. Examples are: weight gain, visiting different climates, drinking more alcohol or coffee, less exercise, eating more sugar
Regardless of the change, changes to our state of normal = stress to our bodies. Most of the time our body can cope, but sometimes something puts it over the edge, and all of the stressors added up can do this. Eczema is a stress-related condition, so this makes sense.

Irritation = Sress: Working out and getting lots of perineal sweat/heat/fungus, intercourse, pantyliners or pads, undies, detergents, vaginal dryness when we didn't used to have problems, adding KY jelly, name your irritant, we all have them.

Hormones = Stress: Definitely related, but not the main culprit - just exacerbates the condition. Periods, miscarriages, menopause - they're all related in some root way.

Imbalances = Stress: bacterial imbalances, yeast imbalances, fungal imbalances, hormonal imbalances, you name it - imbalance means stress on our bodies. The first three are microorganisms, the fourth is chemical.  Whether you were treated for a bacterial infection for UTI or URI or whatever and then had an imbalance of bacteria and yeast or fungus was able to become abundant. Or Yeast - maybe it started with that, and the initial treatment helps, but it doesn't solve the problem for good. Fungal imbalance: athletes foot, jock itch, thrush - they're all related to an imbalance, so some find relief from anything that treats any of these. Hormonal imbalances: orgasms provide relief for possibly two reasons: our natural lubricants are soothing the area and lots of blood in the vulvar region helps healing.

Common Treatments:
We treat the symptoms to gain relief, but it doesn't get rid of the root cause b/c the root is probably stress. We have to treat the symptoms for relief, but we need to find the root of the stress. This stress is different for each individual. No one knows our body like we do. We know what has changed. Everyone has had great insight and great ways of finding ways to possibly treat this condition -  like the post that suggested narrowing down possible irritants - this is a good scientific trial.

Common Successful Treatments: Soothing treatments. You name it, we've found the natural remedies in this forum: Burt's Bees, tea tree oil, chamomile and lavender, baking soda sitz baths, apple cider vinegar. The success of these treatments will be based on what is causing the imbalance. The thing that made my jaw drop was the dipping the tampon in plain organic yogurt - but then if the person found relief it was b/c of a lack of good bacteria in her system. Probiotic treatment is probably a good thing for this person - but it might not be the answer for another person.
- Accupuncture makes SO much sense to me. I wouldn't want to depend on accupuncture therapy for treating cancer, but I would do it after my chemo treatments to rid my body of the add'l stress that it has been undergoing. Accupuncture is a great stress relief, especially for stress that has manifested into conditions like this.
- Hydrocortisone is the WORSE treatment if whatever is affecting you is fungus or yeast b/c this will break down the skin cells and allow the non-bacterial microorganisms to wreak havoc on your body. Desitin will cover up the irritation, but not the solve the root cause.

The treatment of symptoms is necessary for us to lead 'normal' lives, but each of us has to find the root of the problem. If we can't narrow down an external irritant, then it might be internal stress.
---The last of it ---

The Answer: We all know that we haven't found the answer, or we wouldn't be looking at this forum of common suffering. I'm sorry, I don't have the answer for YOU, but your answer is probably within this forum - somewhere. You have to find the cause before you can find the solution, but you can keep on treating the symptoms with something that is mentioned here in this forum.

Here's what I'm going to do (I have pretty comprehensive health insurance, so this might not be the best path for everyone due to $$):
1. Go to my doc and ask for every fungal, bacterial, and yeast test to be taken. I'll rule everything out allopathically.
2. Based on these results, treat whatever comes out from here.
3. If nothing comes of the tests, I'll ask to be referred to a dermatologist AND a gynecologist.
4. If the gyno doesn't know, and starts to guess and experiment with treatments, then I'll take the initial prescription but wait to fill it until I see the dermatologist.
5. If the derm doesn't know, and starts to guess and experiment with treatmets, then I'll see what they recommend to do and wait to decide to fill that Rx.

Meanwhile, I'm going to do EVERYTHING right by my body. I mean take REALLY good care of it. No more extremes. It is pamper time.
6. I will eat well.
7. I will exercise regularly.
8. I will drink plenty of water.
9. I will keep my irritated area clean and dry and use cotton undies or no undies as much as possible.
10. I will add nothing to my vulvar region unless I'm at that extreme - and then only the desitin b/c it works for me.
11. I will take all of my vitamins - and this includes plant enzymes and probiotics.
12. I will take metamucil or other fiber supplement to make my BMs smooth and cause me less wiping irritation.
13. I will see an accupuncturist.
14. I will return to yoga 1x/week.
15. I will drink less coffee.
16. I will drink less alcohol.
17. I will get a massage 1x/month.

These will be MY initial steps to forge a road to comfort and balance. I will report back to you all in one month to tell you if I've solved the problem. The dr. appts will probably take longer than a month, but I'll continue to turn over an improved lifestyle until then.

Good luck ladies. I hope you all find the source of your problem. Pamper yourself for your own good and the good of those who surround you in your life.

~ THE END ~
I have this problem as well and its very irritating (and like the rest of you know its not a yeast infection and its not a std) I told my Dr I get it from time to time but the week before my period it is god aweful. I have been on Triphasil since I was 18 and my gyno thinks its a hormonal thing. This month she had me change to Loestrin FE 24 because it has less hormones in it. She thinks it will help. Well this was my first month on it and the itching returned. But I do know it does take 3 months for your body to adjust to a new birth control.

I have found that Nirena (a vaginal soap) seems to help me out for temporary relief. It has alot of natural extracts and it also has a cooling sensation. If the itching gets really bad I tend to use Aquaphor. Its the only thing I have seemed to have found that helps.

Its nice to have some things that help the symptoms but it ***** not knowing how to get rid of it so it doesnt return. I have had this going on for like 2 years now.

I am truely crossing my fingers that this new BC helps. If it doesn't subside in 2 more months then I am back to the gyno office for more answers

I had the itchy on the one side of the bottom near the anus for a short period of time, but it also seemed to coincide with constipation.  I found that by using baby flushable wipes to clean the area after using the restroom and applying baby powder on the itchy area it helped out tremendously and it eventually went away after about 3 weeks.

Regrowth of hair can also cause the itching to be more prominent.  I would tell you to just let the hair grow -- because if you continue to shave it, it's going to be an endless cycle.
I'll be 30 next month, and have always had everything happy and healthy down there, until about 2 weeks ago. I had morning sex with my boyfriend and was not lubricated enough. The next morning I had yeast infection like symptoms, which I treated that night with over the counter 1-day antifungal cream. The next morning when I woke up, my left inner labia was swollen 3x the size, and everything burned. I went to the ER that night because the pain and itching was so unbearable and was given a dose of diflucan and was told I had an allergic reaction to the antifungal cream. Now it's over 10 days later and my inner folds/inner labia still itch, as does my anal area. I tried some vitamin E oil down there, and it works pretty well, and am going to try zinc oxide cream in addition. I really hope this goes away, I am saddened to think that my sex life, which has always been so wonderful is going to be compromised. I'm just so confused and don't understand how something that affects so many of us can be so understudied in the OBGYN field.
I have been having this labial and anus itching since young. I have had thrush tested before and it got cured for a while and again the itchy started. But I was afarid to go to the gynocologist again and think is normal and will never be cured permanently.

I am actually from Thailand and now I live in Australia. Coming to Australia I dont which gynocologist is good to see.

I went to a female doctor in Perth, very caring and told my problem. She made me have a test done last month  thursh, bacteria and uninary track test and it seem I had bacteria infection.

I was given a cream to insert to vagina and after using that I still have the itchy .

I went back to Thailand for a holiday and met a gynogologist. I had a test again in Thailand to confirm I dont have anymore infection. To my surprise I was negative in all the test. But I told the doctor i always have the itchy feeling in the labia.

First I though it might be my hair. But the doctor gave me Betnovate cream to apply on the affected area. To my surprise just in the first application i could feel the different. The itchy was not there but I need to use this cream 3 time a day for a while to see weather it stop completely when I use it. I was reading throught the Betnovate cream and it seem to be treatment for eczema and other type pf dermititis. I am not sure I got eczema but this cream really help me and I will continue using it.

Below is the website about the cream
http://www.mydr.com.au/cmis/PDFs/CMI5756.pdf

Hope this help.
I started the itching, just to the left at the very bottom of my vaginal opening, about 2 years ago.  It looked like a little red streak or scratch.  I went to the doctor and she did a biopsy that came back as a form of dermatitis.  She gave me a steriod cream and it did work for awhile.  The itching did come back and she told me to use the steroid cream as needed.  The cream got to where it didn't seem to work very well anymore so I went as far as to put alcohol (ouch) on the area which seemed to help.  I then went to gold bond medicated powder because it seemed to be worse when the area was moist.  I have a constant clear discharge, nothing abnormal, but I think it has increased as I have gotten older (I am 37).  It seems to itch worse right before my period.  Well, now it seems to have gotten worse and not only does it itch, it burns like crazy, almost like an ulcer.  I have been married for 16 years so it can't be an STD unless it sat dormant for 14 years!!!  I have made another gyno appt. so if I find anything out I will definitely post it.  

I went to a femake doctor in Perth, very caring and told my problem. She made me have a test done last month  thursh, bacteria and uninary track test and it seem I had bacteria infection.

First I though it might be my hair. But the doctor gave me Betnovate cream to apply on the effected area. To my surprise just in the first application i could feel the different. The itchy was not there but I need to use this cream 3 time a day for a while to see weather it stop completely when I use it. I was reading throught the Betnovate cream and it seem to be treatment for eczema and other type pf dermititis. I am not sure I got eczema but this cream really help me and I will continue using it.

Below is the website about the cream

Hope this help.
I HAVE FINALLY FOUND SOMETHING THAT SERIOUSLY WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I brought up my symptoms to my mom and she said wow that sounds a lot like diaper rash. Apparently I had this problem really bad when I was a kid too. I wear thongs or nothing at all. I noticed that I get turned on really easily so I can become wet during inconvenient times during the day. Add that to be trapped in a thong and it does make me extremely irritated. I have all of the same symptoms as listed above. I know its not really diaper rash, but I guess we all just have an extreme sensitivity to having moisture down there. So long story short, I started putting a little nursery jelly (vaseline) around my lips, clit, and the skin around my vagina (not inside!). It has worked wonders! I have not had one problem since I started doing it. I have been itch free for 2 months!!!!!!!!!! Give it a try ladies, it has finally given me my life back.
I have also been having all of the symptoms that were listed above including:

1. about a week ago it felt as though my clitoris was "chapped"
2. three days ago I had a burst of clear discharge with no odor
3. yesterday and today, the itching around my anus started
4. absolutely no other odors and/or discharge
5. general lethargic feeling (entire body)

I am 21 and this has been happening for about 2.5 years. I've had an off and on relationship with my current bf and we are now monogamous. Have had 2 other sexual partners. Have not had sex for 2 weeks so am assuming that this "itch" is unrelated
I too am so glad of this thread - i too thought i was alone, feeling a little isolated and embarrassed about having to go to the doctor or the chemist.  Thanks to itchycitchy cos while i suffer from practically all the same symptoms as everyone else trying to pinpoint what set it off has been difficult - i go with the stress factor and will treat the symptoms with the good old vaseline which jc318 suggested and start to eliminate the stresses in my life.    I am 48 and premenapausal so this just adds to all those other lovely things that you body does to you at menapause time - the symptoms began a couple of weeks ago in the anal area progressing round to the vagina areas stated all above.  I have chosen to do the  vaseline (least expensive) and destressing and share how its helped. cheers to you all and good luck with whichever method you use.
Viewing 1-200 comments: