Extremely itchy labia near vagina, no discharge
Ok, so I've been putting up with on again, off again itching for months on my labia, near my vaginal opening. Never "diagnosed" with HPV but I did get rid of a suspected wart this past year. Can you have a bacterial infection without discharge? It drives me CRAZY sometimes, the only thing that calms it is gold bond ointment, which is minty and refreshing but I'd like no itch. No "rash" that I can see, unless I give in and scratch. I take cranberry supplements to keep me flushed out for a UTI, which I was treated for last year. My doctor is unsupportive, and unhelpful-told me was due to regrowth from not getting waxed. I just want some facts to arm myself with before trying the doc (new doc) office again.

Any suggestions?? All you cooch experts feel free to speculate.
ive had bv twice it was always accompanied w/ discharge, but no itching. sometimes a yeast infection can occour on the outside and cause a rash and of course itch! but hey, im no "cooch" expert!lol
Yeah. Well that's what I hope-related to some kind of yeast thing, and not HPV-which would mean I have to wait until it runs it's course with me. My doctor actually told me to stick with the gold bond if it works, but that's treating the symptoms...sigh. I just had a run of anti biotics after a surgery, wouldn't that take care of any kind of BI/yeast/uti??
antibiotics that are prescribed spec. 4 bv will only treat bv diffrent antibiotics only work for the ailment theyre prescribed 4 however ant/bio will alot of times cause a yeast infection. they even cause a yeast infection in my mouth sometimes!
It sounds to me like you have a yeast infection and its a good probability its from the antiobiotics.  Antibiotics kill off the good and bad bacteria and when the good bacteria aren't there yeast can thrive.  Go to the store and pick up monistat (at least the 5 or 7 day one) or give a call into your doc for diflucan.
Ok, except that I've had it longer than the anti biotics..
it may just be dry. i'm no doc., but just try this. it workes for me. wet a warm wash cloth - put it in between your legs tonight and go to sleep. Let me know if it feels better in the morning. I don't know what it is, what causes it or anything like that. it's just what i do and it workd.
Beleive it or not, what soothes it is an orgasm? Weird....
Ask doctor about Lichen Sclerosis. I found out I had it after years ofd the same thing. Never heard of it or knew about it. Look it up on the web and see if you have some other symptoms!
Also check out vulvodynia. Some women state that itching was one of the main symptoms that they started with.  If you suspect yeast at all from the taking the antibiotics, I really recommend getting a swab cultured first. If you go and start treating yourself without a diagnosis, this could really lead to a life of pain and discomfort.  Those treatments are harsh and cause destruction of sensitive tissues. Constant irritation can and does lead to painful vulvar symptoms.
I don't really suspect yeast, but I will go to the doctor and get cultures done, and post any results on here. The vulvodynia stuff was interesting, I will mention it as well except I don't have pain, just itching-from the entrance (but not in) of the vagina down towards the anus.
What ever happened with this?  I too have the exact same thing.  I have experienced yeast infections before and this seems different.  I have no discharge, just itching and a little burning (probably from scratching).  It started at my anus, I think?  I'm trying to think what I have done differently?  I'm not going to the doctor unless I have to.  They are usually a waste of my $.
I am having the same symptoms, and I am currently taking an antibiotic - I am not having any discharge or abnormal smells, just the crazy itching & the burning from the scratching.  Please tell us what you've discovered!
did you ever find anything out?
I have this as well... Its random ithching. Just whenever it wants to come around.  Sometimes after I pee it feels like it may be a UTI. Although I got MORE antibiotics for that and it didn't help. The doctor gave me a pill before ands after my antibiotic treatments just to make sure the "yeast" would go away but it didn't.  Look up thrush and see if these are the same symptoms you all are having. This could be the answer.
I also have extreme itching around my vaginal area.  I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a yeast infection.  The doctor prescribed divulcan, but I still have the itch.  I can't sleep at night because of the itching.  Is there anything over the counter that will help allieviate this torture.  
I have the same situation.  It started a little while after I gave birth.  It is only an itchy inner labia.  No other side affects.  I was tested for a yeast and bacteria infections.  My ob-gyn has no clue (I went to 2).  It comes and goes and is itchy!!  I can not figure this out!!!
Oh wow!!  This is just crazy.  I'm having the same thing.  JUST ITCHING!!  Why can't any doctor figure this out and help us.  It seems like it should be easy to diagnose.  I've been to my OBGYN twice with no success from the creams he gave me, including estrogen cream.  I'm so frustrated I either want to go to another doc or not go back at all.
I am having the same thing now.  My boyfriend and I had sex yesterday and I, almost instantly, started having this water-like substance (no odor), come out of me.  Along with a serious uncomfortable itch.  At first I thought that the sex may have been too rough, or a weird angle or something and I just irritated myself.  I managed to get 2 1/2 or so hours of sleep last night because the itch is so unbearable.  But now the next day, the watery substance is gone, but the irritation is more prominent.  I've had yeast infections before, so I'm positive this isn't one.  And the boy and I are both monogomous and have been together for 2 years.  I have no symptoms other than the itch.  And it doesn't even burn when I pee.  I'm seriously at a loss, and cannot find anything online to help.
I've just begun to have these symptoms 1 week ago. The itching is only at night though... it begins at around 8pm every night, and there is little to no itching in the day. I have also had yeast infections before and this is definitely not one. I am also in a monogamous relationship so STD's are out of the question.

I haven't called my doctor yet but I have been using hydrocortisone cream and it is a God send. It really helps me move on and be productive and sleep and such.

Recent changes in my life: 2 weeks ago I started Wellbutrin, 6 weeks ago I got a hormonal IUD put in- I wonder if this is a side effect of either? With the IUD situation, I was on my period for about 5 weeks and pretty much right after I stopped my period the itching began...
ok, my itch started in the anal area about a week ago. now, that's subsided and the itch is now outside the vaginal area. like the other comment before, an orgasm relieves it! the itch occurs before going to sleep and then in the middle of the night. there is no odor, no burn, no discharge - just severe itching. my doctor did tests - no yeast. she suggested it may be PINWORMS. apparently, the worms hatch eggs at night, that's why it's so damn itchy. and they can crawl up from the anus to the vagina.
If anyone has found a solution or an answer to this problem, PLEASE POST IT! I've had this condition for 3 years and I'm at my wits end. It is NOT a yeast infection. The first time I started feeling the itch was after I had a miscarriage. It tends to get worse just before my period. In the beginning it was only at night... but now it can happen any time during the day, too. I have a feeling hormones have something to do with it.
I have also had these symptoms for the last 4 years or so.

I wonder if it could have something to do with taking the pill for a 90 day cycle? So it could be hormonal? Anyone on hormone replacement pills when this started?

Or it could be an allergy to detergent?

Comes and goes, I don't have yeast inf or hpv. No discharge. If I suffer the itchiness wo scratching, it goes away. If I scratch it's worse. Married for 7 years
having the same problem as everyone here.  it comes and goes and my GYN does not know what it is.  i thought i was wiping too hard but that isn't it.  it isn't a lubricant problem.  someone mentioned Pinworm...i had pinworm as a kid...it's not pinworm.  you will know when you have something that horrible.  i don't have STDs.

i switched from a 30 day BC to a 90 day BC earlier in 2008.  my symptoms didn't start until Oct 2008.  maybe the 90 day BC pill keeps that area of the body from having it's typical blood supply.  maybe that part of the body is indirectly affected somehow during a normal cycle.  i'm not a doc so i don't know.  but no one else seems to have an answer.

anyway, baby power helps for me.  
I've researched this on some other sites.  a few ladies are saying this is a type of yeast infection and while many have ruled it out because they don't have the typical symptoms, they have tried anti-fungal steroid cream or anti-yeast cream and have had success getting their cuts, itchiness, or whatever to go away and stay away.

all the other ladies are also saying their doctors don't have a clue.  they are otherwise healthy women.  one lady suggested swabbing the area with rubbing alcohol (it worked for her).  ouch!  no thanks!

i don't have the symptoms of a yeast infection but I'm going to give one of these creams a shot, nothing else is working.  I'll report back in a while with my results.
i hav recently got this got this its strange .
i no its not an std as been with my bf for over two years
it started in the anal area few weeks ago and at nite its so itchy near my vagina hole and on labia its beginnig to drive my insane cos i hav to itch it .
please help me !
Googling my symptoms brought me here and I am so glad to at least have found people with the same issue!! My itching and irritation coincided with a very heavy period (changing tampons every 2 hours, which is unusual for me) and a 30 minute sex romp in a hottub/spa with my husband. I chalked it up to irritation but weeks later it's unbearable.

I've come up clean for STDs, yeast, trichomoniasis and anything bacterial.

WHAT HAS HELPED:
*Every morning before my shower I fill the tub with about 6" of warm (not hot) water. Add 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 1/4 cup of salt. Sit with knees apart for a few minutes. Then I turn on the shower and shower as usual.
*I avoid soaps in my vaginal area. I use baby wipes for sensitive skin around my anus and labia before showering and just dont use soaps on that area.
*I use same baby wipes after sex.
*I've been wearing looser, cotton only panties (BORING!) and avoiding thongs at all costs. Love thongs but how unsanitary, really!?
*When it's really awful I use hydrocortisone cream but try not to use it often, as it's petroleum base can provide a good place for yeast to grow.
*if Im going to be having sex, going in the hottub or getting my period, I "prepare" by using a tiny bit of zinc (Desitin diaper cream, actually!) on my labia, to protect the delicate tissue.

These things have made a huge difference for me. I wish I had an answer :(
A correction: I dont do the vinegar and salt everyday! I meant to say once a week or so before my shower.
Same issues for almost 2 yrs. I'm 33 and symptoms started after birth of 2nd child and when I had IUD put in.  I have been married for years, regardless have had STD tests, regular pap,  have gone in several times, diagnosis, I look healthy and fine, returned to dr. again, then tested positive for yeast, treated, fine for a week and then the itch has returned.  Returned to dr. again diagnosis;  nothing wrong,returned again; tested positive for bacterial vagninosis,  finally had IUD taken out as I thought this the culprit...good for one month, now back to same itch, small amounts of regular discharge, no smell, went back and tested negative for yeast and bacterial vagninosis.  It is worse at night. Changed soap, detergent, cotton underwear, airing out at night but continue to struggle.  Sometimes looks like when a little tissue gets stuck, but dissolves in fingers, but not cheesy like yeast infections.  Making another dr. appointment at a new place with new dr. w/ hopes for diagnosis, relief.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
One more thing.

I also get little cuts right about my clitoris when this occurs, like after a day of snowboarding on the mountain when its really cold and you forget chapstick but downstairs.  Anyone else? Thanks
You guys too? Gads...what the hell is it? It is NOT a yeast or STD etc as I too have been checked for all that. Never even had an STD.
I am menopausal age, so I thought maybe it was hormones? It has been happening for me for years too and I am at my wits end also!
Just knowing there are others out there feeling as I do does help my spirits. But I also feel bad that you guys are suffering like me!
Anyways...I notice an odd smell, not like an infection (had those years ago) I can't quite describe it, but it is NOT coming from the inside. It is almost...well...a chemical smell, for lack of a better term. Nothing ordinary and odd, because it is only external.
Someone HAS to know hoe to help us! Right?
I will keep you guys posted, I am going back to the GYN for another round of testing.
I too have changed body washes etc, to no avail. I am going try the baby wipe thing for sure.
Thanks for being open about this girls!  I was afraid to say anything until my beautiful sisters showed me it was safe.
Namaste'
yes on the chapped lip symtoms! that is a GREAT analogy mammaj!!
Sorry to hear your suffering as well.  You just struck something with the menopausal age and hormones though and I'm wondering if this could be part of my problem.  When I was younger I was on every type of birth control possible and was unable to be on any of the pills, my hormones fluctuated so much and I suffered from severe migraines, and all made me physically ill with what I could only describe as morning sickness, without being pregnant. I did Depoprovera and was fine for a couple of yrs and then had the same issues.  Both of my pregnancies with the hormone fluctuations were truely miserable, very sick very sick, bells palsy and even a couple of small strokes....my experience with birth control should have let me know pregnancy would be hell.  Anyhow, made it through that and after suffering from migraines (diagnosed during pregnancy as complex migraines and was informed I should have never and should never again be on any kind of hormonal birth control) since the age of 8, they stopped after the births of each child.  Now I wonder if the hormone fluctuations that lead to the many migraines and issues I had w/ birth control previously could be a new issue with the change in hormones and the itchy labia problems I am currently having.  

Ladies, did your issues below occur with a birth control change, birth, menopause, hormone altering medication?  Just trying to narrow and figure these things out and be well equipped when I head to dr.  Thanks
I was never on any birth control. and I do not take any kind of hormone replacement. I just have NO clue what so ever. But you know, lately I have been wondering if it isn't something from my urine that is causing it?
Is that possible do you think?
Perhaps too much acid, ph balance off?  Could be urine or normal discharge? Another though I had also.  I just dont know gal. We shall keep researching and brain storming.
i wa also googling because i could not take it any longer. Come to find out there are lots of us out there that suffer in this manner.  Mine started 6wks ago and i feel as if i'm on fire constantly down there. baby wipes check, yeast check, whatever it took for me to get to the bottom of this mystery, i've tried. venegar, salt, witch hazel WHATEVER!!! There is no discharge just this itch, burning sensation and when i get a fit of it it robs me of my sleep and now it is trying to embarras me by acting up in public. HELPPPP!!!
I too have had the same issue: an itch between my labia minora and majora. I am on birth control but have been on it for years and this is the first time I have had this problem. I also get same "chapped lips" or rather, cuts. Anti-itch cream is a life saver! But I do not want to depend on it. I do not want to suffer through the Dr if she is going to be as unhelpful as everyone has said. I have changed soaps as well but that does not seem to be related. Don't think it could be urine that is causing it b/c urine does not hit that area. No hormone altering medication or menopause or change in birth control. There is no change in discharge or smell. I will keep ya'll posted on what I find.  
Hi Guys....FYI
There is another itch scratch thread here with lots of great info. It is a lot to wade through, but maybe y'all can find something to help.
I have been having these symptons for a while now and have vistied three gynae. and got no relief. Is like all they was treating me for was a yeast infection. However my hubby went to the pharmacy and the pharmacist there recommended "lotrisone*Cream" I havr been using it and have gotten some relief. I still have a week again to use it to see if the itching stops completely. I am thankful cause i was fed up of all the money being spent and i can get the smallest progress in stopping the itching.
He also said that sometimes the detergents we use to wash our underwears can cause these irritations. I am not specialist...and i cannot put my head on a block for it but its worth a try...
Ask yor doctor................Hope this helps.....
1. I have had the itching just on the labia majora for about 2 years
2. No discharge, no other symptoms - just the itch. Although, sometimes a little bit of incontinence post deliveries (so I thought it may have been to do with urine)
3. I skip my periods with the pill (Yasmin). Usually 3 months before I have a period so I also thought it might be related to this.
4. I get a brazilian wax - thought this may help.
5. I have had the same partner for over 20 years.
IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!
Sometimes I put a couple of drop of tea tree oil onto a tampon and wear it for a few hours. This does seem to temporarily help but I have no itch on the inside just the majora. And I had thrush years ago and this isn't thrush as there is no discharge.
6. My husband doesn't have any itching.
7. I use anti-fungal cream. Bepanthen. These seem to help temporarily but then it comes straight back after 2-24hrs.
I will try the vinegar and salt thing today and see if it works. I have heard of people being prescribed Ovestin cream but I haven't used this.
LET"S WORK THIS OUT. I AM SO SICK OF IT!
Ok - so what I did was I thought - if it is bacterial ie as a result of hairs etc and maybe a drop of urine etc causing growth of bacteria, I decided to use a little sitz bath wash with warm water with some detol in it. Did this and then put some antibactial powder on it. It went itchy like crazy!
Then I put some antifungal cream and it went away completely.
So what I will do next week is get a full course of antifungal cream (the overnight one isn't as effective) and take this and see what happens. Maybe the tea tree and use of the cream just happens to keep the discharge at bay but doesn't get rid of it completely.
I have also found that if I start to scratch it gets worse - so much so I have to scratch - driving me crazy! Will let you know after next week...
i hope i'm not offending u but what if there is no discharge. i have absolutely none.my problem is the itching, especially on my right side of my "lip". it feels as if bugs are scurrying under my skin.
I have no discharge either - none! It just feels itchy on the outer 'lips'. Not fully outside - just the first fold inside.And if I itch it gets extremely itchy.
I don't have any itch around the anus either - just what I think is the labia majora.
I am trying a full course of Canesten anyway - just to see if it goes away. I was thinking that maybe I have thrush internally and the discharge isn't there because I am using tea tree etc and keeping it at bay.
I am really not sure but just trying everything I can think of!
Let me know if you get any results with anything and I will keep you posted of any changes.
I had the same problem with the itching and I used a pill named Periton.I bought it in Trinidad for 0.25cts and I used a cream named Lotrisone which I got for 82.50 and the itching went away completely after about 10mins. The good thing is that i stopped the cream an pill and I have no signs of the itching. After spending over 2000.00 in doctor bills and no relief a pharamcist recommended these two products and i thank him for the relief. I am not sure if you all wanna try this and see what happens. Also try washing underwears separately and with a softener instead of harsh soap powders....I hope this helps.................
It could be is eczema.  I've had discoid eczema for about two years, and have just recently begun itching in and around my outer "lip" area.  I have been using cocoa butter and coal tar cream "extremely sparingly" and it seems to help.  This could explain not having any other symptoms other then the itching.
i have recently relocated from the US and canand to jamaica, i thought maybe the climate changes had something to do with my situation, but i'm at a location of the island that requires comforters at night. it is cool and breezy. no fans nor ac is required, put it that way. so along with the canesten i add a little bleach to my buff puff or bathing rag and things are minimized by about 10%. might not seem like alot, but it buys time for you to regain some sanity.
I started itching in the external Vaginal area about 5 weeks ago. I started 3 days before period and stopped while I had my period as soon as the period stopped the itching started again. I thought it might be a yeast infection (even though there was no discharge) took 3 day treatment no itching and when treatment was over it came right back. The itching happens through the day off and on. I can go a day or two with no itching and then it comes back. I went to the Doctor and she found nothing. Her words "I don't know what it is" she told me to not have intercourse for 5 days use cortisone off brand 2x daily wash with fingers tips(which I do) with celaphil and use Virgin Olive Oil for lube. Still have the itch 5 days later with my period. She told me to call her back if it doesn't go away, but sounds like everyone has been trying doctors and they don't know. My husband suggested bathing in Iodine. I am going to try it tonight. I CAN"T TAKE IT! I have changed soaps and detergent do not use Birth control had a child 18 months ago stopped nursing 4 months ago. Married 7 yrs no other partners no history of any health issues. Thought it could be atrophic vaginitis, but dr didn't seem to think so. The only thing that stops it from itching all day is anti itch cream like vagasil.
I have had the same thing. I have never had sex before so STD is out of the picture. I have itching on my labia majora, it is like dry skin, it is mostly around my vagina, but sometimes my anus too. I was wondering if I could be so dry from using tampons, and then the string irritates my skin, i do have very sensitive skin. I have tried anti-fungal cream, and preparation H, i am now trying cortisone anti-itch cream. I just don't know what it could be if nothing has been down there. I am not on birth contol or any antibiotics, it just appeared one day. I just want relief, it is an embarrassing problem to have at my age. :(

I pretty positive I have found my answer and I hope it help all of you ladies.  I had skin issues, allergies to soaps, detergents, foods, etc. when I was a kid and had issues with being red and irritated below.  These faded as I got older.  After having my first daughter, we bought a house in mexico.  My skin would get really dry, cracked rashy, going from the cold of the state of washington to the warm and humidity of mexico.  I got a rash under my watch one trip down there and was diagnosed with eczema, I got on a cream and the rash no longer appears, my wrist just really wrinkly and it seems to be when the weather changes, or when I'm stressed.  Then we took another couple of trips and my feet and hands became extremely dry, cracked, the crease in my ear lobes, around my nose sides of my mouth would crack.  Skin literally seemed to fall off of my face when i got off of the plane from Mexico to WA and it wasnt from a sunburn.  During this time, the last 2.5 yrs I have had the itch below....details described in a post above I listed a few months ago.  I did the detergent, soap change, cotton underwear etc. and the itch comes and goes for 2.5 yrs.  Anyhow, after an itchy night again...I went on line and found this website and it seems to explain me to a t. http://www.mydr.com.au/womens-health/vulval-problems-a-self-help-guide

What I thought was t.p, cant be, I use sensitive wipes, is my skin peeling down below, as the website above describes, the reason no one can find anything wrong is usually because gyno's aren't trained in skin conditions, just disease issues therefore they wouldnt no what to look for, you would need to go to a dermatologist.  I am positive the eczema which has plagued other areas of my body is now down below and I started using the cream I use for my eczema down below and I'm proud to say after a small sting, the itch has stopped and I had a wonderful sleep last night. I really hope this helps you other ladies out. Let me know Ok.

http://www.mydr.com.au/womens-health/vulval-problems-a-self-help-guide
ive been having that itching burning feeling without the discharge for about a week now.but before that it started of just being dry and my skin cracking if i opened up my lips just a bit, even to wipe. First i was just putting a wet cloth on my labia, then i went to go get vagisil for dryness and itchiness and that burned like crazy, then it just started to make all my skin peel off and my labia develope some sort of white stuff or something like that. So i switched it over to lamisil for jock itch. And right now it is working pretty good. I woke up in the middle of the night cause it just hurts that bad.
I also am having ALL of the symptoms reported.  I have had these itchies for a few years now.  They can almost drive you crazy.  Basically though it is the inner labia's that itch.  No discharge and no odor.  I do remember the anus being a bit itchy as well.  But basically it is the labia.  No STD, just a diabetic.  Which I thought was the answer to the problem.  But I really don't believe so.  I can definately agree with the chapped lips cuts as well.  I use anti itch powder, just a little relief though.  I do believe I have vaginal dryness and I am sure the powder don't help that at all.  I was precribed an antibiotic for this type of itching that starts with a "T" sorry I forgot the name.  It didn't help anyways.  My problem with this, and I hope I am not out of line here, but my husband REALLY enjoys oral sex.  This hasn't been done for a long time now and it may be interfering with my sex life.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  Orgasms is a temporary itch solution, but I just don't know what to do.  I do shave and this is the worst!  I found that when the hairs start to grow back, the wiskers will drive you nuts.  So now we have the itching, irritation from scratching and cuts, the regrowing of hairs and swelling from the rubbing and a husband who can't get his way.  HHHEEELLLPP!
Okay hello!!! I am so glad I found you guys.  I am in the same boat and am going nuts.  I have been itching constantly for three months straight and it is starting to overtake my life.  Plus I'm married and this kind of a problem is so unbelievably awful while trying to deal with a sex life.  As you guys know!  However, I do have some info that may help a little.  I have been to the gyno twice now and she was not that helpful.  I'm beginning to see a pattern here of gyno's not being able to help with this sort of thing.  First of all, for those whom have not been yet, IT IS NOT A YEAST INFECTION.  Those go away, and ALWAYS have a discharge and/or odor associated with them.  I have had many before and have also now been tested.  I looked up vulvodynia online and personally had almost all of those symptoms.  My doctor recommended most of the things on this website as well and I highly recommend all of them myself.  They don't stop the problem, nothing does, but it helps.  Also, I have decided to start doing acupuncture.  It solves all sorts of strange things and this problem is supposedly untreatable and could last for years.  Just wanted to throw my new idea out there in case it helps anyone else.  Will let you know if it helps.  I'm also now on a really high estrogen birth control.  I've heard that's not the healthiest route but will let you know if that works as well in case anyone's interested.  Lastly, I know gyno's are so much money but I think it would rule out sooo much to just go once.  I was tested for everything and was told absolutely nothing at all was wrong physically.  In other words yeast, skin diseases, dryness, wetness, hair, etc. other weird things were all ruled out.  Yes, it didn't help to fix it but it did make me stop using creams and medications and start changing my life in the ways I need to to fix this horrible, HORRIBLE problem.  Yuk.  Well it felt good to get all of this out there.
I have managed the itch for the last 4 weeks with PIRITON tablets (antihistamine: chlorophenamine) which I am taking one every 5 hours, frequent cleaning (every 2 hours) of the area with Aqueous Cream BP (+ covering the area with the cream) and using the pantyliners.
These actions reduced the itch by %80.
then I had my appointment after 2 month of waiting:
She assumed it is Lichen Planus but I'll have a biopsy soon to diagnose it. I'll let you know about the result.
Please read this scientific article which is about treatment of different problems of the area (the vulvae itch can be caused by different factors):

An approach to the treatment of anogenital pruritus by Gabriele E. Weichert
Dermatologic therapy (ISSN: 13960296) Vol 17, 2004 129-133

Best wishes,
I'm so glad I found you guys as well! Not only do i find many of us who suffer the same crazy itch, but also encouraged me to finally go see a GP.

I have all the symptoms described. I feel the itch a lot more when i'm about to get my period. I also feel like my vaginal lining and ovaries are itchy... like a tingling feeling that makes you think it's itchy.. does anyone else have this?

I was thinking hormonal as well, but i'm 24 and not going through menopause... not pregnant, haven't had sex in a very long time.

The only thing i can think of is - i had a cervical cancer vaccine two months ago, which was the same time from when this itching started. I'm going to speak to the GP really soon about this and see if this is related. Will come back and continue the brain storming.
HI....your simptoms seem to be more like mine and I wonder if they are horomonal.  When I was pregnant 2 years ago with my third child (a Girl).  I had terrible vagina problems.  In my third trimester I developed an allergic reaction to my luandry detergent and had to wash my underware in baby shampoo.  Well after she was born the itching stopped and I nursed her for 22 months.  Well about a month after I stopped (last November) I started with a monthly itching problem.  I figured out that I get it about every 7-10 days before my cycle.  After my cycle the itching stops and is gone for a few weeks then I get it again and 7-10 days later my cycle (I have PCOS, so my cycle is not regular).  I've been to my GYN with the inflimation and she has tested me for everything possible and I tested negative, she says she does not know what it is.  My next option is a biopsy (I'm not looking forward to that).  The things I find to work, it warm water, Benadryle to sleep becuase the itch increases at night, and I found it's not as bad at night if I wear a panty liner ALL day.  I've tried changing the way I wash my underware (like when I was pregnant) but that didnt' work.
This is long, but I believe it will help!!!!!

Where to begin?  First, I am not a doctor.  I will graduate from a U.S. medical school in less than 1 year and will then be a doctor (I plan on going into OB-Gyn).

The medical input:
There are multiple things that can cause itching inside and outside of the vagina, and often it is difficult to tell the difference between them.  If itching is accompanied by a discharge (any liquid or "slime") or an odor, you need to see your doctor because you may have an infection that requires a prescription to treat (such as bacterial vaginosis - "BV", or trichominiasis - "trich", each requiring different medications).  
Aging, and the inevitable menopause, can cause changes to the skin in and around your vagina as well as the natural oils in that area.  This is called atrophic vaginitis, and some doctors may recommend an estrogen cream to help women through this time.
The yeast infections which many females are familiar with that cause an internal (and external) itching along with a cottage cheese like discharge are usually caused by Candida albicans. When you go to your doctor and they check you for a yeast infection, this is what they are checking for.
Now my personal experience:
I have experienced the typical "yeast infection" as well as the external labial itching which is being described here, and they are not the same thing.  I believe the external itching (around the anus and/or labia) to be a female form of jock itch.  Every time my husband looses control of his athlete's foot and/or jock itch (these are both commonly caused by the same organism), I end up with the itchy (and eventually burning) labia described in many of the previous entries.  Unfortunately, the medical world is not very familiar with jock itch in females.  Also, good or bad, doctors like their tools for diagnosis such as looking for the organism under the microscope.  I have not found any sources to substantiate this, but it may be that the female form of jock itch is simply hard to catch under the microscope.
The bottom line:
I have found that the best way to conquer this "female jock itch" is with over-the-counter antifungal ointments (such as Lamisil AT or Naftin), though these are not meant to be used inside of the vagina.  The kicker is that my husband and I have to BOTH treat our genital areas and our feet with the antifungal ointment (and some couples may require that both partners treat their hands as well for the very tough cases) in order to combat the problem.
Again, treatment for the female includes thoroughly treating BOTH PARTNERS.
Treatment is outlined beautifully on MayoClinic.com (a reputable website run by a well respected hospital system) at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/jock-itch/DS00490/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs
To start, look at the treatments listed, but don't forget to look through the prevention page as well since these tips are also useful in conquering this troublesome issue.  It is important to stay clean and dry, wear loose clothing (especially underwear), and to treat both partners thoroughly.
Remember, not everyone who itches has a fungus, so it is important to consult your doctor, especially if you have pain, discharge, or an unusual odor.  If, however, your doctor tells you she can't find anything to explain the itching then you may find some relief with my advice.  Good luck!
I found this thread really interesting.  I WAS diagnosed with genital HSV2 and have had rectal and labia itching now going on 18 months!   The experts keep telling me it is CANNOT be related to herpes.  It is miserable and very distracting!  I have it everyday though out the day!   Thanks for sharing.  
I also suffer from EXTREME itching in the inter-labia region and anal opening. This itch started in 2008. The itch is so bad that I get confused whether it's itchiness or pain. I can't ignore it; it keeps me up at night, and wakes me up in the morning. It feels as if there are worms under my skin, but of course there isn't.

During the whole time that I was suffering, I found this thread and it made me feel comforted that I am not crazy and that unfortunately many women suffer from this. I went to 7 different doctors (dermatologists, gynecologists, allergist, vulva-specialists), and all they can tell me is that I have hyper-sensitive skin. I was prescribed a total of 8 different hydrocortisone (steroid) creams. Some of them would work for a few weeks, but then the itch would flare up again. I was even prescribed a cream that would dull my nerve endings, but it still didn't help. Throughout this process my doctors reassured me that i can keep using the creams, but DON'T! It really does thin out your skin, which leads to ripped skin that never heals.

I am currently doing well, and my itchiness is under control. Thus I wanted to share what I have learned:

1. Bathing in tea helps, but because my itch is near the vagina, bathing in tea is not a good idea in the long run because it changes the pH balance down there, which could lead to other problems (over-growth of bacteria or yeast that's not suppose to be there). But if your itch is elsewhere on the body, then it really helps.

2. Icing helps to numb the pain, but not good for long term use because you're skin will get desensitize to the shock and the effectiveness of icing will slowly go away.

3. Diet matters. I cut out spicy foods or anything that is "intense" and opted for a more neutral and mild diet...such as steamed vegetables, lots of water-dense fruits, and lots of tea.

4. BABY POWDER! I realized that it's the moisture that makes me itchy. All my doctors tell me that I should moisturize my vaginal area and apply creams and Vaseline because they think I could have eczema. But when I do that, I keep itching. Only after a year of suffering did i stop listening to the doctors and tried keeping it dry. Not more dry than the rest of my body, but equally dry. After I shower, I would let it air dry and then apply baby powder which absorbs the moisture.

5. ACUPUNTURE! I never had acupuncture before, but I have heard that it heals systemic problems in the body, and it works really well for allergies. So I started doing acupuncture for the past month, and this is what sealed the deal. I use to take Zrytec every day, and now, I don't need it anymore.

The lesson for me is that creams will only cover the symptoms for an unknown time until your itch flares again. And trying to make lifestyle changes may address the root of the problem more.

Itch765 how do you have acupuncture done in your labia area?  I had that done on my pelvic area yrs ago and I did not get relief but will stay open minded.  I'm not so sure this isn't related to my H diagnosis.  

The baby powder I do use and I sometimes use Lidocaine cream on the outer labia area.   For my rectum I use a dab of bacitricin I like the Target brand.  I'm glad your feeling better and thanks for sharing your tips.
I
Well I've been having the same symptoms for the past few days; no discharge/rash/swelling, just an itch, which turns slightly sore after scratching. Although not in the anal region like some people have commented, just around the middle of the vulva and on the underside of the outer lips, but I'm reluctant to go see a doctor as they seem to be worse than useless. One of my family members suffers from severe Psoriasis, which is genetic, and seeing as there are no other symptoms apart from the itch, I'm beginning to wonder if this could be the culprit, and I have also suffered from it on other parts of my body before(although very mildly) Psoriasis is usualy red and scaly when on other parts of the body, but when it appears on this area it's usually red but smooth; no scales. It usually comes and goes so many people will probably never be able to get rid of the problem completely, but there are creams and ointments to subside symptoms. It's a fairly common disease so it could be that a lot of you here with this frustrating itch are suffering from it, although I am 16 years old and no doctor! So this really is just an educated guess. I find that dampening a baby wipe with water and gently rubbing the affected area helps for a while. Also (although harder said than done) try not to itch! Check other parts of your body for red patches, particulalry on your elbows,knees and scalp, which are typical places for Psoriasis to appear. Anyway, it's worth googling Psoriasis to check your sypmtoms and find out more. Hope I've helped (:
Try dipping a tampon in plain natural yogurt for about 5 minutes, then inserting it into your vagina overnight (or however long you feel for). It helps the itch SO much and the itch goes away for days afterwards I find!
Hello, ive had an itch for a couple of years. I thought it was thrush so i tryed canasten then i got an STI test twice which came back negative. They put me on 2 weeks of antifungals with no help so i got a dermatologist to look at it and she said it was VESTIBULITIS. its not sore, i have no discharge and its only on the inner right hand side. Sometimes i itch it till it bleeds. She gave me steroid cream and i put it on when it starts to itch and it gets rid of it for a while but i forget to keep using it. hope this helps x
I am 19 years old, and I too have this symptom... the itchy labia, though mine are the labia minora; and no discharge, smell, or burning... unless I scratch it. When it first started itching, I was able to resist scratching and I expected it to burn something awful when I urinated, because I suspected a UTI; however, it didn't burn like a UTI, so it wasn't that.  It's been itching on and off for three days, so I decided to google it to see if I could find any sort of help.  I've been on Ortho-Novum for about four months, and the itching started just before my period. I am with you guys thinking that MAYBE it is a hormonal problem but it seems more like a skin condition... I am thinking I will go to the doctor and maybe mention eczema to her. I know for a fact that I do not have any STDs, and I have not had any sexual contact for about three months now.

An orgasm does help (which furthers my suspicion that it MAY be hormonal).
I haven't tried any of the other suggestions, though I will and post results.
I have had the same thing for about 2 years...:( i don't know how to cure it but I can tell you how to stop it from itching..Desitin regular (just the regular cream) diaper rash cream  stops the itch completely but need to apply as needed. hope this helps
I have had this problem for several years as well. I have tried so many different things I have lost track. I have gone to so many different doctors with no long term results.
I started by changing birth control from nuvoring to a pill, because I thought the ring changed my ph.
I tried steriod anti-fungals, hydrocortisone, taken rounds of flagyl for bacteria. All of it! I've used diaper rash cream, changed my underwear 5 times a day, changed soap, everything that other people have recommended.
I had an allergy strip test (only thing we found is allergy to nickel).
So, I started to document when I was the itchiest and when I had relief.
The best advice I have got so far is that I feel better when I do nothing.
Using all the creams and ointments always seems to make it worse after frequent use. So when I get itching I try to push through it and not do anything and it usually will temporarily subside.
I did notice a direct correlation between sweating and itching. I live in Georgia and every summer my symptoms get 10x worse because I am constently sweaty down there. So I blow dry the area, change underwear more than often and turn up the air conditioning.
I have change so many things in my life style to try to balance my body. I have lost weight, started eating better and even quit smoking. The itching is started to come less frequently, but it still comes. Mostly when I go the pool or have sex with my husband. So I try to avoid things that irritate it. I feel so bad for my poor husband who has had to put up with this.
I'm sure everyone is different and these simple things may not work for you. I have not stoppped searching for an answer. I believe my next step it to go to a naturopath and I am considering finding a dermatologist who with botox the sweat glands in my groin area. Good luck in your hunt, maybe one day they will find what this is!
I'va had the same symptoms for two weeks now after being diagnosed with a yeast infection over five months ago. This time it started in my anal area and now my labia ( inner and outer ) is driving me nuts, I thought it was pinworms but nothing.I also get confused with is it pain or itchiness, but it is almost unstoppable even though I have been using monistat for the last few days. I was even starting to blame it on my husband and wondering if he had been fooling around.
I also tried the "plan B" emergency pill few weeks ago, and just in this month I've had my period three times, I am very irregular so I have no idea if it isdue to the hormonal changes like every other person here attributes it to be.
I am now taking cranberry pills and lots of water due to the burning sensation when I go pee. I think I will go to the obgyn today cause I can't be in public without the sensation of scratching no matter who's looking. I will be posting the results later on today.
I've had the same crazy itch for about 2.5 years now. It's worse around my periods. I just found the possible solution to my problem last night. My mom came in town recently and the dry weather made her skin itch very badly. Allergy drugs didn't help. So she tried some Burt's Bees Thoroughly Therapeutic Honey & Grapeseed Oil Hand Creme. The next day her rash was gone, and so did the itch. Then I put the creme on my itchy spot. It worked like a miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The itch was gone instantly and it's been 24 hours of no itching. It brought me tremendous relief!
I'm still going to the doctor's tomorrow, just to be sure~
I hope this would help you girls! :)
I read your comment and got some of the Burt's Bees hand creme, coupled with using antihistamines my itch seems to have gone today.  I have been suffering with this problem for over 3 years now.  This "condition" has been causing my major anxiety as well as discomfort.

Reading this discussion has made me realise I am not alone.  
Hi. I'm 21. Itchy as well, and we need to get this ish figured out!  Getting an ob-gyn appt soon. Here's my story... I have some more things to add about my situation that have not been mentioned and might play some factors (or not).  This is kinda long, but I want to put it all out there.  I put *** next to the stuff/ideas that haven't been mentioned so you can skip there if you want.

So,  I have the same issue. The itching on the edge and inside of my labia minora, both sides. I already have trouble sleeping, and this doesn't help.  I have found a couple white specks also (as mammaj mentioned a while ago) that look pieces from low-quality toilet paper, but dissolve in my finger tips. No other discharge.  No odor.  No chapped lips. No UTI, I've had those before.

I shave, and was thinking that maybe I was shaving too much and it was getting too irritated or too close. Any input?  I don't wax.  I have very thick hair, grows fast, but shave it every other day bc it gets irritated if I do any sooner or later (weird, huh?)

Some ladies say an orgasm helps, but it makes things worse for me. I assume increased sensitivity and swelling.  

I've moved from the dry state of CO to the humid state of OH.

I'm a workout fiend, but severly slacked during college. I'm back to exercising a lot now, wearing spandex, so maybe the excess sweating instigated it?  But I shower immediatedly after every workout.  For the past 2 weeks I have been biking 5-6x a week, but switched to running the past few day (before the itching occured).

***As for skin conditions... I have had granuloma annularae for over 10 years now, been to dermotologists for it, and no topical cream they've perscribed helps.  It's gotten much worse over the last 3 years.  I read stress might increase it, and I was in school, so that makes some sense.  Now I'm done and still stressing with job-searching and grad school.  So maybe it's gone down into the vaginal region?  The thing is that the G.A. on the rest of my body starts out small, and then increases in size and is rarely itchy.  This was sudden and very itchy and I visually doesn't look like the GA on the rest of my body, but the labial skin is much different.    

***So as for my cycle...  Generally it comes every 30-32 days, but every couple months it will be  2 weeks late or skip.  As of now, I'm 2 weeks late.  Which adds more stress which makes it later.  I'm gonna go buy a prego test to hopefully rule that out for now.  Sometimes I get sharp stabbing pains that start at my belly button (esp if I push my finger in it) that radiates stabbingly directly to my vaginal opening.  It's worse if I lay on my back or stomach (stretched out).  I can take pain very well, sometimes I get teary eyed w/ horrible menstrual cramps. but there have been a few times, usually after sex, but sometimes not, where I'm doubled in pain, bawling my eyes out.  worse than any period cramp.  It's a very sharp cramping sensation.  I have to stay in a fetal position, any movement to stand or straighten my body immediate sends stabbing pains through out my uterus like it's being ripped apart or sliced from the inside.  it usually lasts about 30-45 min.  my fiancee can verify my pain level and wanted to take me to the hospital, but I was too stubborn and just passed out in pain.  When i wake up, it's gone.  

Lately my appetite has been off and feel nauseous a lot.  My bowel movements have been more frequent, but this could all be related to hormones and a later cycle. (my PMS is always worse when it's late)

Can someone explain dipping a tampon in yogurt?  Is that to get some pro-biotics in there? Is it only recommended if you're on anti-biotics which may facilitate other infections?  Maybe it's just the idea of puttin yogurt in there, haha.  But I'll try it if I get more info on it.

So that's where I'm at now.  I've got a bunch of google tabs open from other posts here that made me want to look up other things and their symptoms.  I'll comment back an a day or so if I stumble on anything new.

Thanks for reading! haha. Good luck!
one more thing.... I found that heat makes it worse. Filling a tub with cooler water (whatever you're comfortable with) works for me, or a washcloth that's been wet w/ cold water.  Anything hot just makes things worse.
You know, just like most of the women on this site, I am soooo happy that I found you.  I have been having the same issues with the itching.  Once I start scratching, I can't seem to stop.  It gets better and better like I'm a fiend on drugs!! My eyes start rolling back in my head and then I have to catch myself because it will hurt after a few minutes. I have been to at least 2 or more GYN's and was referred to a dermotologist for sabaceous cysts.  This threw me for a loop because I'm thinking " I have a problem in my vagina, what the HELL is a dermatologist gonna do for me!"  The dermatologist puts me on an antibiotic but it really doesn't work.  I think it makes the itching worse.  As with Lioness, the itching is more intense before and after my period.  Not as severe when it's here.  On top of that I have these God awful cyst that pop up whenever they decide!!  I am almost certain that it HAS to be hormonal.  I was diagnosed with a pitutiary tumor 2 years ago and have gotten it removed.  That same year, like 3 months prior, that's when all hell broke loose.  The first GYN thought it was herpes.  Needless to say, so did the next GYN.  I told them it definetely was not that because I am a lesbian and have been for the last 18 years of my life.  It seems as if this occurs in women the their early 30's.  I am determined to find out what causes this and to come up with a remedy that cures this nasty, unattractive, humiliating condition!  Even if I have to become a gyno myself, I will get to the bottom of this.  Again, I am very saddened to hear that you guys are going through this also, but I am very pleased that I'm not the only one...In hopes of a break thru, lets keep each other posted....
I have suffered with Thrush for over a year now. went to docs and had pessery tabs to use every week for 4 weeks but it came back as soon as i stopped them. after reading all about candida ive learnt its a fungi which lives in the gut in a lot of people. in some people it causes symptoms, thrush, dandruff, athletes foot, even depression and other strange things you would not think of.
there is no point in treating the thrush in your vagina because it will just come back. you have to kill the candida or at least get it under control.
you can do the candida diet which i think is impossible - no yeast (breads) no sugar (sugar, fruit, milk, even cucumber) no mushrooms and on and on.
Garlic is a natural anti-fungal.
Pro-biotic drinks help the good bacteria in your vagina to keep fungal infections under control.
i have started taking odourless garlic caps daily (1 x 1000mg) and a probiotic yoghurt drink (1 x vitallity) this has really helped. is very cheap and has no side affects.
I am pregnant and have asked the consultant if this is safe (worried about garlic thinning blood for the baby) and was told its fine.
you can also insert 2 of these tabs in your vagina at night. they dissolve and on the way out kill the fungus. i have done this at the beginning when i was really bad before i got it under control. use a pantyliner the day after, you can smell garlic when you go for a wee but not constantly. i used 2 tabs a night for 3 nights.
i cut down the dose of garlic from 1000mg to 200mg and the symptoms came back.
thrush can also cause small cuts on your labia, which can be painfull when you wee and even more itchy. before i knew about garlic i was using canesten cream morning and night. it all seemed to be getting worse not better, i now know that this canesten HC cream can thin your skin from over use i had a big tube and was slapping it on to cool the itch, when it ran out the cuts went, normal canesten cream is fine just be aware of the HC type (it was prescribed by a doctor but not the one who sees me now)
when i have thush i dont have the cottage cheese discharge, (my doctor didnt think it was thrush but results have come back positive twice). my discharge is normal thickness and colour just more of it, with a sweet smell.
pregnancy hormones can increase risk of thrush, but in my last pregnancy i didnt have it once or whilst breatfeeding. ive had it now for 8 months before i got pregnant and then 4 months while pregnant till i started the garlic and yoghurt.
also try to get your partner to take garlic and yoghurt
i also wash down there with Simple Baby Bath - no colour, no perfumes as these can also wash away the good bacteria.
hope some of this helps
I am a 22 year old who has developed the same symptoms a lot of you are describing here about 2 months ago.  I have had no sexual partners so I know that sex is not the cause. : ) but like some of you are saying, an orgasm seems to help. It does get worse just before and just after my period (like right now).  I did recently go off BC (about 3 months ago) because I was only taking it to regulate my cycle and now that I've graduated from college and am not synced up to all my roommates I decided to kick the pill...seriously considering rethinking that though, I forgot how bad my cramps are...also wondering if going back on my BC will balance me out hormonally and maybe stop the itch...

Glad to know I'm not the only one.  And thank you to everyone who has posted itch relief solutions!  I'll let you know if I find anything that works for me.
I have had this itching for 12 years now. I've been to every kind of doctor even a Vulva Specialist. I've had every kind of test done. I'm 55 yrs old and I just went through double breast cancer and radiation and the itch is still there. I have to take Benadryl 3 times a day and lately I've been using Preparation H. I found also the cool cloth really helps and the heat really makes it worse. I am going to take some of the suggestions I found on this site like the Desitin and Lamisil. Prayerfully someday they will find a cure for us.
I just went to the Dr. for labial itching.  I don't have a yeast infection and no discharge. She said that it was from dryness or my vaginal tissues are thin and get irritated easily (though I am menopausal, but at a younger age). She gave me a presciption that was an anti-fungal plus steriod cream and it has worked great!  It is clotromazole and betamethasone, but it is only to be used fo 2 weeks, after that time, if I still have the itching then she said I could try estrogen cream, but don't want to because of the safety issues, but so far the cream has worked great.
So I've been having this same problem also for the past 3 months or so, and I've been following this site, and figured out a good way to get rid of the itchiness.

Believe it or not, Neosporin helps a lot, I just apply it like a lotion to my nether regions.  Also, (where I think it may have originated from) my boyfriend has a dry skin problem on his hands and wrists which doctors prescribed a salve called "Triamcinolone Acentonide" (basically a super serious lotion) which I now use with the Neosporin on a daily basis.  It has totally cleared up the itchiness and dryness down there.  The only thing I noticed that made things worse was actually giving into the urges and itching like mad.

So I've been refraining from itching and using those topical salves, and I've been itch and pain free for about a month now.  I was also told by my gyno that switching (which I did) or stopping birth control pills completely may also be causing the initial irritation.

Also, a friend told me that a simple anti-itch cream you can get anywhere also works.
I have the exact same thing! Itchy inner labia, slightly peely looking, no other symptoms whatsoever. 20 yrs old, not on birth control, this has been going on about 7 months now. I'm a virgin but I have fooled around, and I was seeing a new guy right at the time this started, which was also the same time that I started shaving (using aloe instead of shaving cream)as opposed to waxing (which I'd been doing for years, no problems). I haven't been with anybody in about 6 months, and I stopped shaving for a while and it made no difference. I've been to the doctor and he's done lots of tests, the first time it came back as a yeast infection and I was given nystatin cream (which works awesomely, but only while I'm using it. once I stop it comes back within a few days) and diflucan pills (which did nothing). I've also been given an anti-bacterial cream, which didn't really do anything for me. I'm currently waiting on an appointment with a gyno, to see if he has any ideas. My impression is that this is a fungal infection, since the nystatin cream is an antifungal and that's the only thing that's worked, however the last two cultures that have been done have come back negative for everything, apparently.

Very frustrating! I'm wearing all cotton underwear (granted, I'm still wearing thongs, but I have for years and years and it;s never been problematic.) I do wear tight synthetic pants while I'm at work, but again, I'd been doing that long before this happened. I tried altering my diet, to no avail. I'm absolutely terrified this is going to be a lifelong condition.... I am beginning to consider the possibility that this may be related to some sort of hormone imbalance, because that seems like the last possible explanation, and really the only common thing between all or most of us, but I don;t really have any other symptoms for that except painful periods.

Good luck to everyone! it does make me feel better knowing I'm not the only one!
Here I am, 5 am, haven't slept, feeling what you ALL are feeling. I have reached a point of desperation. This UNDESCRIBABLE itch. It has taken a toll on me. I don't ever sleep anymore. Sometimes I break into tears in the middle of the night having to take a Xanax for the damn anxiety. I have not yet gone to the doctor, perhaps I am afraid to hear something I dont want to know? All the creams and natural home remedies have NOT worked. Now, i am fearing with what you all are sharing, that this is chronic??? I must say, it is refreshing to know I am not alone. I have read most of your posts and will take into consideration a few things I still haven't tried. The only thing that has "temporarily" relieved the itchiness is a shower. I take numerous showers a day and in the middle of the night!! Its almost like a super clean vagina wont itch, but its only a matter of time until the itch comes back.

I will be seeing my doc this week. Perhaps I can get some different feedback then you all that I can share. I will be crossing my fingers. Hang in there ladies I am with you!!

I am sitting here reading every post, and getting angrier by the moment. If there are so many of us suffering daily from this horrible infliction, why does the medical community not do something about it? It is obviously a real disorder and one that needs to be taken very seriously. How many nights have I gotten up from bed to run to the bathroom to pour rubbing alcohol on the affected area just so I could feel something other than the mind blowing itch? How many times have I cancelled plans with friends because the itch was so uncontrollable,so severe, that it consumed my mind and was making me extremely miserable? (I knew I wouldn't be able to last even an hour without the need to scratch it until it hurt.) On top of that, it made and makes me feel "dirty' down there all the time.Let's just say my sex life is at an all time low,much to my husband's confusion.( I am too embarrassed to tell him why.) I have given up going to the so-called "specialists" because all they want to do is give me a pill or useless cream and rush me out, telling me it's a low grade yeast infection( I too,suffer from the white specks that look like stuck tissue paper and the cut right above my clitoris) , a reaction to an enviornmental agent(due to the redness of my labia), or (the best yet) it's all in my head. Here's an anti depressant; take it and you'll feel better. Huh? I believe we as a sisterhood need to stand up and make ourselves heard! Make the medical community take notice and demand answers! Until that day, I will lean on you all for your wonderful advice on how to control this horrible infliction. Thank you for allowing me to vent and here's hoping for an answer for us real soon!!!
I'm so glad I found this site/thread!  I'm eighteen and I just started having this itching thing (no disharge) about four or five days ago.  It's an extreme itchiness that tends to get worse ever time I wipe after using the restroom...and if I scratch it at all (which I can't help doing), the itching becomes worse then also, and starts to burn.

Here are some of the things I've been wondering about:

1.  I was with my boyfriend for the past month, and got back home one day before the itching started.  We are both each others' first partners and we are monogamous...I truly doubt any thread of STD's, especially since we've been having intercourse for about eight months and this just started this past week.  HOWEVER...he has a case of flat warts on his arm, and from what I've read, I could have gotten genital warts from this.  But, when I look downstairs with a mirror, there is no sign of bumps or anything...not even a rash unless I've recently scratched.  Everything looks normal!!

2.  Right BEFORE I left to go to his place, I took the second part of the Gardasil vaccine.  I really don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but since we don't know all the side effects associated with it yet, it made me wonder.

3.  I stopped taking the Aviane 28-day cycle birth control pill after I came back home.  I decided I wouldn't be seeing him again in over a month, and this type of pill only takes a week to get back into effect, so two weeks before seeing him again (just to be safe) I'd start back up again.  However, since I stopped taking it immediately upon returning home, and the day after the missed pill I began to itch, I wondered if it was hormonal.  This is only a slight chance though, really, since I've accidentally missed pills before without any such reaction.

I'm going to the doctor for a consultation visit soon just to check to see how big my risk is for getting genital warts, just to be on the safe side.  I'm going to ask her about this new thing, too, if it doesn't go away by then.

Best of luck, everyone!  Keep us posted!
I forgot to add...I'm on my period right now.  I've been reading a lot of posts that say that the itching went away with the period and then returned afterwards...not so with me.  It's just itching right on through!
Hi Ladies,

I too have been suffering with this persistant itching for many months now and lost many nights sleep I tried something yesterday and got my first good nights sleep in a long time with NO itching!!!  I used Sudocrem it states it is for napkin rash, eczema, bed sores and many more things but it has stopped my itching and I am so pleased I tried it! I recommend that you try this and see how you get on! Hope it can help some of you x
I have just joined the ranks and I am terrified!  Please people, I implore all of you to write to EVERY MAJOR health care professional out there.  Let's get Nancy Sniderman from the Today Show on this.  Let's get Oprah!!  Write The Doctors.  We need to refer them all to this site.  This is nothing short of torture and it needs attention!!!
By the way, i have been using ice cubes to numb the area and then vagisil.  That works for about an hour to an hour and a half.  I also have not slept since this started.  I've been on a Flagyl type antibiotic and steroid creme for 2 days now with no real improvement.  I just read all these entries and went to the store to stock up on all kinds of recommended stuff.  But we need a real cure for this.  This is NO JOKE!!
wow. i am blown away by this. this thread has been going for almost 3 years now and with continuously steady posts. this issue definitely deserves some real attention.

the way some of you have already described many of these symptoms...i feel i could have written it myself. dryness, itching only on the labia not inside, the amazing feeling of scratching which only quickly leads to a painful burning and soreness, the cuts or tearing as i think of it more as above/around the clitoris, the toilet paper like substance.

it feels like my labia is shedding its skin, and it is a very itchy and painful process. I'm not sure, but it seems like that toilet paper substance is skin that's peeling off.

one thing that i was unsure of is how frequently this occurs for people/how long it lasts. my experience is random bouts that last a week or so. i did contract genital warts a year ago, which was when i had my worst experience with it. it lasted 2 or more weeks and was completely unbearable. it was the only time i've resorted to anti-itch cream which helped, but had to be constantly reapplied.

i'm certain i had this problem before the STD though and even now (which is why i'm here today!) although there are no signs of warts, making it appear as though it's "run its course". the only thing i've found that works (and i mean works as in the problem subsides for an undetermined amount of time before resurfacing) is completely ignoring it.

this time around it started 3 or 4 days ago, right as my period was ending. i'll admit i gave in the first night to scratching but of course that just made it worse. i tried not to pay it any mind after and tonight i can still feel a residual irritation but it is subsiding.

it seems to be a regular occurrence for me, but not constant. is that how most people are experiencing this also?
OK... here is what I have learned.  Mine seems to be hormonal... although I can't get the doc to confirm this.  They of course think it is either all in my head or an itch-scratch-itch cycle (yeah, uh huh!).  So, I notice that when my period is coming on, when the hormones are at their peak, it subsides A LOT!  Once the period is over, there is is again!  Neosporin with pain releaver in it paired with 2 Advil every 6 hours keeps it in check.  Keeping it CLEAN (like SUPER clean, don't use ANY soap down there at ALL, just use water)...keeping it cool.  I am a heavy sweater (I know, ***** for a woman to be like that), but I also have a VERY narrow comfort for both heat and cold.  I have to keep cool and dry down there... even if that means changing panties!  Jeans ARE NOT your friend (yes, I still wear them, but there isn't much else I am allowed to wear to work :(  They trap heat and make the problem worse, plus most jeans are tight fitting in that area.  Finally, try super hard not to give in to the itch... it is HARD, but don't do it!  It will just make it worse!  I am still fighting... keep posting ladies... let us know what is working or not working for you... remember this post if you get a confirmed diagnosis from a doc so that the rest of us can try to be tested for the same!!!  Good luck all!  Wishing you all an itch free night!  
Kat
I just got treatment from the third doctor and I think I finally got it.  I had been using Vagisil which contains benzocaine.  Turns out this stuff can cause you to develop an allergy to it and subsequently all products contaning similar ingredients.  The first 2 docs didn't catch what was going on and put me on treatments which didn't work.  The itching and burning only subsided when I used the Vagisil, so I kept using it.  Then I started to itch on my thighs, neck and stomach.  I scratched and then I put a hydrocortisone cream on those areas ( which also contains benzocaine)   The next day was complete hell!!!   I developed a severe rash in all those areas - bright red and painful!!  I had developed an allergic reaction to the benzocaine.  I was prescribed oral steroids to fix it and I'm still not out of the woods today. All I can tell you is STOP using things like Vagisil or anything ending in "Caine" that numbs the area.  You are asking for misery!!!
but help us all out, what did you doc treat you for?  That way we can go to our docs and ask for the same test and/or treatment??  Please help us out!  Thanks!
perhaps another clue to this mystery...  I had my hubby "check the area" for me and he said that it looks PERFECTLY NORMAL!  No redness, no cuts or scratches or anything!  WTH?!  I poined to the specific area that was "not right" in my mind and he said it looks fine...nothing wrong with it!  Again, WTH!  This would explain why the doc keeps saying it is fine, nothing wrong with it!  It apparently LOOKS normal, but sure doesn't FEEL normal!!!  Anyway, just a thought to toss out... anyone else out there have same or similar in that the appearance is normal?
First of all, I would wonder what we all have in common -- age, sex life, soaps used, etc.  It would take a massive study to maybe find a common link.  Who knows, maybe there's nothing in common except the insatiable itch!

I took the eczema theory posted above and ran with it because also noticed a slight itchiness on other parts of my body, arms, legs, etc.  So, I figured I must be a little dehydrated and thus might need to cure this from the inside out.  I've taken fish oil pills and stepped up the water intake to try to add some more hydration and necessary oils into my system.  It seems to help.

Also, after I shower in the morning AND right before I go to bed I apply a topical ointment to the area prone to itching.  Doing this works wonders for me; however, the key is also to put it on before bedtime because the itch has been the most strong at night, while not active.

The ointment I've been using is a little out of the ordinary... it's wrinkle cream for your face!  Called L'oreal Advanced Revitalift Anti-wrinkle Concentrate, my theory is that if it's safe enough for the face and especially around the eye area, it's gotta be safe enough for the sensitive parts down yonder.  Although I'm sure the L'oreal people would be horrified to know this, so far, no complaints and it's working miracles!

Hey, at the very least I'm avoiding the itch and staving off wrinkles in my nether regions!  Haha!

(As an aside, I'm a HUGE believer in Tea Tree Oil but it didn't help this time; also tried Elidel, which I believe is for eczema, it didn't really last for as long as I needed it to.)
I did the same thing with the hydration.  LOTS of water!!!  LOTS and LOTS of water!  It has helped a bit, but not totally.  I agree though that there should be some sort of study to see what we all have in common.  There has to be a common thread.  I personally think mine is due to hormones...or lichen sclerosus et atrophicus.  Anyway, may need to try the l'oreal!  LOL
It could be thrush.  Follow the link below and read the article below.

http://www.birth.com.au/Thrush/About-vaginal-thrush.aspx
Or you can look at this one.

http://www.womenshealthlondon.org.uk/leaflets/thrush/thrush.html
Did anyone see 20/20 tonight? The top story was "For Women With Pain Disorders, Sex Can Be Excruciating Experience" and there is a lot of info on the forum. http://abcnews.go.com/2020/comments?type=story&id=8261425
Hello, I am 21 weeks pregnant with our third child & this awful itch started when I was about 8 weeks pregnant. I have never had these symptoms before. My husband & I have been together & with no one else since 1990, so 19 years. We have been tested for STD before we married & also my OB tests for this with each pregnancy. We have never had a STD & are faithful. I have had a yeast infection years ago & this is not it. I do not have any discharge or odour, just a terrible itch that needs to be scratched. I have also started perspiring heaps & chafing in between my legs. I have never perspired like this before, I can stand there doing the ironing for an hour & I will be dripping perspiration from between my legs!! We live in Adelaide & it is Winter time here. I see my OB on Friday, he has known me for 10 years, so I will let him know of my discomfort & see what he says & then I will let you all know in case you have my symptoms & this can help you. I do feel better to know I am not alone, what a terrible thing to have, especially when I am half way through my pregnancy & I do enjoy sex with my husband. Sometimes I prefer rough sex to help with the itch, lol! Also, it is good when he gives me fellatio, apart from the normal orgasm feeling, lol, it helps with the itch!  Anyway, it is good to know I am not alone. I am 43 if this makes any difference to any one else's symptoms. Talk to you in five days or so. Good Luck!!
OMG, so glad to find out that I am not alone!  I mean, I thought I was the only 1 with this embarrassing problem.  I've not told my friends or family.  The only person knows about this is my supportive husband.  Too embarrassed to go see the doctor but plan on it soon because I can no longer stand it.  I started having the itchiness early this year and it drives me insane.  My symptoms are exactly the same as most of you posted.  I've never been on the pills, the only contraceptive we use is: condoms.  My husband is my only partner and we've married for 10 years.
At first, I thought because of the waxing/shaving so I gave-up waxing/shaving since the problem started, I even stopped wearing thongs/g-string and started wearing all conton underwears but it's not helping.  I do lose sleep over this problem and I have 3 small children to take care during day time.  I get tired and get cranky easily when my kids don't behave.  If any1 has found a good solution to this itching problem, please post it!
I'm 16, a virgin and have this problem as well.

My mom is in the medical field, so I am aware of a lot of things. I've tried cotton underwear, not wearing thongs, not wearing underwear, not using soaps, changing toliet paper (From a scented kind to unscented, this might help some people), wearing looser clothes. I've also noticed that my period does make this stop entirely, but the day my period stops, this starts up again.

I also think this is hormonal, and I asked my mom about it. She has endemitriosis, (sp?) and had cervical cancer several years ago. My periods are SEVERELY irregular, and even though I know this happens for like 6-18 months after you first get your period, this has been an issue for 3 years now. I can go like 4 or 5 months without my period at all. Then it might happen on a regular cycle.

My symptoms include really, really really bad itchiness on the inside of my labia, around my vagina, and towards my anus. This seriously stops all normality to life, it drives me CRAZY.

I've tried hydrocortisone cream, etc. I haven't discussed this with any doctors aside from my mother currently, because I haven't been to the doctor in the short amount of time I've suffered from this. It's really intriguing to know that women of all ages are suffering from this, and it seems like it around really hormonal times. Puberty/development, pregnancy, and near menopausal age. I haven't ever been on birth control, and never had sex. Everything down there looks totally normal.

The only problem I see with ice is that it carries soooo much bacteria.be weary of using it.

When I go see my doctor next, I'll ask her about this.

Does anyone else have irregular cycles, or any kind of female health problem? I think it might be hormone related.
I'm so glad I read this thread!  I've been having the above symptoms for about the last 6 months; no possibility of STDs and no discharge to indicate a yeast infection.  Along with some other people posting on this thread, my gut instinct is that this is hormonal, because the itching always gets worse either right before my period or if I take my birth control "straight through" to skip my period.  I never had this problem before I was married and started taking the pill, which makes me think the hormonal changes have something to do with it.

I had my husband check out my area, and he said it looked totally normal, except for being a bit redder than usual - which i think was due to the fact that I had just been itching it.  This has definitely affected our sex life, because I really don't feel "in the mood" to have sex when I know there's issues going on down there.  I also don't want to give my husband some type of infection...this thing - whatever it is - really is stressing me out.

In terms of treatment, I found that holding a cool damp washcloth on the area subsides the itching.  Also, I do my best to just ignore it, so I'm not tempted to keep itching and do more damage.  I have some monistat external vulvar cream that I have been applying to the area as well - I know this is probably a bad idea since I don't think I actually have a yeast infection, but at least it helps the itch subside so I can have a quasi-normal day.  I wear cotton underwear and try to keep the area as cool and dry as possible.  I'm going to see my OBGYN about this issue next week.  Based on the posts above, I'm not very confident that she'll be able to help much, but we'll see.  

I'll post back with what I hear from my doctor.  Also the 31 July 2009 post by "thisblows" about benzocaine might have something to do with the itch.  I just read the monistat external vulvar cream ingredients and it lists Benzoic acid.  Maybe this has exacerbated my itching problem?  Not sure - I'll post back after I go to the doctor.
Update - I went to the doctor today, and the diagnosis is that I have a yeast infection after all.  Apparantly using the Monistat 3-day was not a good idea, because my doctor said the 3-day medication typically does not get rid of the yeast infection.  As a result, while my symptoms decreased, the infection itself never really went away.  She perscribed a Terconazole 3-day regimen to me, which should take care of this infection for good.  I'll let you all know if it doesn't end up working out.  

Even though I didn't show all the signs of a yeast infection (no discharge or ordor)...looks like I had one nonetheless.  Therefore, if you're reading this post and haven't gone to a doctor to see if it's a lingering yeast infection, I would highly recommend doing so - even if you are doubtful that you have a yeast infection.  The doctor also ran some additional tests -- I'll let you know if anything turns up on those.

Best of luck to everyone suffering from these awful symptoms.
Hello fellow itchy sufferers!

I had this condition too, it came shortly after my last period, and is seriously itchy, mostly on the right side of my labia, it becomes red from all the itching, but i have not experienced any discharge or smells. Gets worse at night and is strangely eased by an orgasm....weird

Anyway i found something that really helps..i bought piriton allergy relief but its a pill you take every four hours or so. The first pill i took it eased the itching a little but after a day of taking them the itching is also non existant....now about 5 days on im off piriton completely. with very little unnoticable/ no itch what so ever.

I can actually get a night sleep again, i also got a cream called biofem, which is meant to stop itching and restore your natural bacteria and ph levels to normal. I use this at night to help with the soreness and redness from all the itching!

Hope this helps...its seriously worth a try!!!
hi all i got the same problem severe itching, dry and some paper cuts. I noticed that itchiness oocurs when im on days with heavy normal discharge. I got no unsual discharge and no bad odor as well. then it stops before period and then go back 10 to 15 days after period. I know its not yeast infection as i had it before. I was diagnosed with one genital wart when i was pregnant then removed and never had it again plus it doesnt itch like that. I never had the same problem before just after i had my first baby and got worst when i had cervical cancer vaccine. As to relief the itchiness im using travocort and was it with apple cider vinegar and betadine feminine wash.
I've suffered for 2 years with the symptoms listed by many above: crazy itching at night, no discharge, not overly red, with the cut right above the clitoris, and toilet paper clump things (perfect analogy!).  I've tried the antifungal creams by themselves, anti-itch stuff, tea tree oil, hydrogen peroxide.

But I think I solved it with a simple change (plus going ahead and using the anti-fungal jock itch cream) in my life.  My 6 year old daughter's been obsessed with sweets, and gaining weight, to the point that I threw them out over a week ago. Cleaned the house out. I got to thinking that what with studentdoc2010's advice to treat oneself for jock itch, and another idea out there that fungus love sugar, that I needed to look at my own sugar intake. I stopped eating the free sweets at the office, and I stopped my nightly glass of wine. That, with a little extra care to change underwear if it is sweaty, and stay dry, and my problem essentially disappeared in 2-3 days. It was remarkable. I've wanted to get back here to thank studentdoc2010, and others.  I think that it's a subtle, subtle fungal infection, and that the high sugar western diet is probably a challenge for many of us. The night time connection is probably just that things feel way worse at night due to hormone levels plummeting at night. (Same reason sickness feels worse at night, often.)

If you are a nightly drinker, try giving it and sweets a rest, keeping extra dry, and doing some anti-fungal cream.  I was blown away at the results. The rough, cracked skin at the clitoris took a week to heal completely, but it did. After 2 crappy years. It's not like I was eating piles of cake, but I guess I don't handle sugar well. Or wine.

I know this sounds too simple, but please try it. I'm bummed out that so many are suffering as I have, and I would love to see this thread take a turn for people finding solutions and healing!  I am 44, a perfect weight, run 5 miles/day, but prone to things like seborheic dermatitis and angular chelitis (cracks at the corners of the mouth every now and again)--also linked to fungal infections. I'm pretty sold on this fungus and sugar hypothesis. Can't hurt to try it. Good luck, Ladies!  (((((ITCHY LADIES)))))
OMG I cant believe how COMMON this is! Why do doctors NOT know what this is???? Anyway, I have been suffering from an itchy inner labia for about 8 months now. It started one day after my period and now I get this itchiness right before and after my period! It is absolutely horrible! I usually do not have a really bad itch but last night I was awaken by the terrible itch and pain! I jumped up and put on my usual Vagisil and Baby Powder and that seemed to help. But I woke up again and was STILL itching (not as bad) and I just completely took off my underwear and put on more baby powder and that helped ALOT. I only wear cotton underwear but maybe they are too tight. I also notice that when I get extremely stressed, I begin to sweat down there and I believe that is what causes the itching for me. My remedies for the itching include Vagisil (or some type of hydrocortisone cream), Baby powder, baby wipes, Benedryl, and taking a warm bath with NO TYPE OF BUBBLE BATH. Just plain warm water. If the warm water doesnt work for you, try a cool washcloth on the area. Also, only wear cotton underwear (and not too tight)! Those are my remedies ladies!! Hope they work for you as they do for me!
I have had the following symptoms for about 3 years now: on and off itching of the inner labia. No odd discharge although I discharge frequently as part of my normal cycle. The itchiness can last for a few days -  a week and then come back a week later or a few months later. It seems to be completely random, though I am on the pill (started about a year ago) and I tend to change my cycles (i.e. 6 weeks without menstruation, then 3 weeks, then 4, etc.) so maybe it is related to hormones. I also notice that it starts off mild and gets worse, more itchy, a couple of days later. It's most definitely not thrush/candida, I have been tested.
I have not noticed any white, paper-like clumps though?
Maybe it is also related to hygeine - I only wash once a day at the moment. Have tried steroid cream to no avail and Canesten  (anti fungal cream). I use sensitive soap, I wear cotton undies and try to sleep without underwear, but these don't seem to make any difference.
Anyway I am of the opinion that this needs to be studied by medical scientists. It's unfair that we are all suffering needlessly - we need to make this problem more widely-known somehow.
UPDATE- So I decided to go to go to the doctor yesterday because the itching was driving me nuts. I had always thought that since it comes and goes, it was no type of infection...wellllll I was wrong. The doctors said that I have BV (Bacterial Vaginosis). She said this can be due to irritants such as shower gel, bubble bath, washing detergent, etc. I was given antibiotics for this. So basically, if you have not been to the doctor to get it checked out, PLEASE go. It is better to just get the stuff checked and know for sure what it could be instead of suffer with the horrible itching any longer! So please be careful with what you have been using (shower gel, non-cotton underwear, etc). Nothing wrong with having a quick vaginal culture to check for infection :) Good luck ladies!! I will update my status after the antibiotic treatment
Im glad I am not alone! Well not really since I wish none of us had to deal with this. I thought I was a freak but Im glad to know that we are not alone. Im 21, live in the midwest, no current boyfriend but always use condoms when I do. Same symptoms as everyone listed above. Especially those painful cuts which are weird! And of course that itchyness! ughhhhhh it is driving me nuts! It started 4 weeks ago. I went to the gyno for my regular checkup at that time and told her about it. She tested me for vaginal infections, stds, pregnancy, the usual. Nothing came back positive. Although I did notice a small cyst under the skin on my labia. Pointed it out to her and she told me to watch it. Found the cyst right about the time of all these symptoms. Didnt know if maybe that was a connection? Doubt it but just throwing that out there. Also my roommate brought up an interesing possibility....mild allergy to cotton. I know that certain allergies only affect certain people and on certain areas of their body. Im allergic to everything outside so this is not news to me. We all seem to use cotton underwear and of course we deal with it all the time (toilet paper, towels, etc). Maybe that could be something? I havent found any real answers from my doctor or gyno. I began washing my underwear in baby soap. After I use the bathroom I gently wipe my vagina with baby wipes for sensitve skin to keep it clean. I only use baby soap in the shower to wash that area and change my underwear at least 2 times a day (more if it is really hot or I work out). I also bought this great cream that helps alot! Monistat itch relief cream. Its from their soothing care line. It is meant to stop itchyness and heal that area. That has given me alot of comfort so I can sleep. Well thats all I have got. Hopefully someone figures this out. I think we might freak out our senators if we write asking them to help find a cure for our itchy vaginas! haha. good luck ladies!
Dear Ladies,
For your descriptions, it may be jock-itch.  Try any of the three over the counter medications:  Tinactin, Lotrimin, or Micatin.   Good luck to all of you!
I am post menopausal and started having itching in the last 8 months or so. I did get treated for Bacterial vaginosis. But it came back. Another forum suggested extra folic acid and that does work. So far no return of BV.

As far as the itching I am trying Vaseline applied morning, noon and evening and that does help ALOT. I woke this morning with some itching but last night had none. What a relief!

I think for some it may be that the area becomes oversensitized and needs help healing. The vaseline protects it while it heals. I wonder even if some toilet papers may aggravate the itching.
I notice when I do a lot of drinking this problem keeps coming back. I think it is the sugar.  I'm trying to keep track of all the soy I'm eating also. With everything having soy, I'm wondering if it is just an alergy.  Does subside when I take Benadryl.  Just haven't figured out what it is I'm alergic to. Maybe we should keep track of what we eat and when it seem to get worse. Maybe we can figure this out together.  Also went walking at the beach was very hot this weekend.  Did eat a lot of junk food also.  
IT'S T RUE.
WE MUST ALL WATCH OUR SUGAR AND CARB INTAKE.
I'VE NOTICED IT GETS WORSE WHEN I GET INVITED TO
A MEAL AND HAVE SOME ALCOHOL AND DESSERT WHICH I NEVER HAVE WHEN AT HOME.
AVOIDING ALCOHOL AND SUGAR DOES HELP.
ALSO TRY DRINKING A BIG MUG OF WARM WATER WITH
HALF A LEMON SQUEEZED INTO IT UPON WAKING UP EVERY
MORNING. I FOUND THIS HELPS A LOT.
IT IS ALSO IMPORTANT TO URINATE AT LEAST EVERY 2 HOURS WHEN AWAKE AND THEN KEEP THE AREA VERY CLEAN AND DRY. DRINKING A LOT OF WATER IS ESSENTIAL FOR THIS.
I ALSO HAVE SOME SKIN RASH OVER MY ARMS AND NAPE WHICH ARE GETTING MUCH BETTER SINCE I STARTED THE MORNING LEMON THERAPY.
EATING FRESH ALOE VERA GEL EVERY EVENING ALSO HELPS TO CURE SKIN AILMENTS GRADUALLY.
MY EX-HUSBAND IS A DOCTOR. I AVOID DOCTORS AND MEDICINES AS FAR AS POSSIBLE.
GOOD LUCK !!! DO LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPS.
Hello i have been having itch for the past 4 days,  i've had this in the past several times never extreme mostly just an annoyance throughout the day but worse when i get my period...however this time is a little diff. i noticed on Sat that i was experiencing burning slightly when i urinated went & got the home UTI test came out positive been drinking cranberry juice & got the AZO UTI pills.  just got over my cycle on thurs.  also to mention i tested a low positive for HSV2 last month waiting to go for the confirmatory test at end of month known as the Western Blot..never had an outbreak thats why i am going for the WB...i hope all you women are dealing better with the itch i can't imagine having this constantly all the time god bless you!
and lets all pray for good health for each of us i still am!

still hopeful=)
You know, it might sound crazy, but I have discovered that I am alergic to the POISE PADS.  I stopped using them and the itching has gone down about 95%.  I'm wondering if we are alergic to whatever they put in the pads so that (how can I say this).  Whatever they put in them so that the liquid turns into a gel.  Let me know if any of you are using these Poise pads or any other pads that might be causing this.  
like everyone else, soooo happy to find this forum.

I;m 21 and have had this problem for years. Every couple months it comes and sometimes lasts for weeks. Its unbelievable itching, any time of day or night, sometimes unbearable. no odor, no discharge, looks normal.

I have never messed around with any anti-itch creams, but like several other people, orgasms are the only thing I can do that seem to subdue the pain for a while.

I sometimes think that maybe it occurs when it is not clean enough down there, ie if I dont shower or change underwear on a sunday after a night of partying. Another interesting idea that someone else mentioned is shaving down there... sometimes I think that if i shave too much or let it grow out some, because the hair is so short and coarse it rubs against my skin there (which is already so sensitive) and irritates it. With that because it is so irritated, I dont feeel like shaving which means it would only continue or get worse or if i cut myself shaving there all seem to make it worse.

no idea what to do, although the idea of diet or allergies or not staying hydrated enough as being the cause are certainly possible.

It just started acting up today (and some people said its right before their period, which is my case, Im not sure if it normally comes at this time or not, but thats also possible) and im dying! :(

I'm glad I found other people with this, but it is quite depressing in over 3 years no one has found out for sure what it is.

i know this whole website is awesome as far as a support group that where you can come to express your story for any questions or concerns you have that you feel you don't want to mention to anyone that you know for the sake of them passing judgement, which would be horrible thankfully i have supportive friends & family that would never pass judgment on me for that.

my itching usually starts right before & after my period, not always there consistantly but is present & is not intense.  i def feel for all you ladies who have to put up with this 24/7 my heart goes out to you.

hopefully doctors/labs/specialists/scientists are studying this among other diseases to come up with a cure &  not just a temporary fix.

i am going to the gyno today after work to for an exam due to my itching & burning while urinating that i had over the weekend.  it has dimenshed now but it still is there, i havent had any discharge that including discoloration or odor so i'm hoping its just a yeast infection & that i can get antibiotics for it maybe difulican.

I have had this horrible can't scratch hard enough problem also and the one thing
that seems to work is Colloidal Silver. You take
1/2 tsp twice a day in water. This really is a miracle that
the pharmaceutical companies hope we never find out and
often will spread horrible rumors about. Colloidal Silver has been tested, written up in medical journals and found completely safe and non-toxic and effective in treating hundreds of organisms. Thousands of people use it including my family and I. It is very effective as a safe, natural antibiotic for so many different problems.
Research it yourself. Good luck!

Where do you find this Colloidal Silver.  I would like to give it a try.

Thank you.
You can order them online and also at a health store.
Good luck!
Thank god im not going insane on my own!

Im 25 weeks preg and have been having this itching getting increasing more frequent and distracting for the last 4m, although i think its been lying low for a long time, maybe 18m, but was mainly a dry sensation earlier on. discharge watery and will soak a liner in a few hours but no odour and not 'cheesy'. no redness unless scratched. (discharge could be preg related as i know lots of preg women have lots extra) flaring up in the evening

Homone wise : pregnant and have 1 other child, overactive thyroid that flares at 'life events' but otherwise is just a tad bit higher than the norm and not medicated, irregular periods usually with very light flow. Diabetes in family.  Combination skin since early teens on face/arms/back, eczema on 1 hand (!) and quite bad as young child on back/bends of knees etc.  Tested allergic to nickel and latex

Not your typical PCOS but i suspect i def have some kind of imbalence along these lines, although not confirmed by endocrinologist.

stopped contraceptive pill dec 07 and began using condoms while avoiding conceiving which is when the dryness got v bad and gp thought it was prob latex allergy and prescribed cansten hydrocortisone cream which seemed to help

tonight after a manic scratching session i decided to have a bath with bicarbonate of soda in which is what i always used for eczema and a drop of tea tree (use it for everything!!!) and ive not itched for 2 hours.
having read your threads i am going to try :-

lemon water each morning
TRY to cut down on sugar - although im a sweet tooth and craving it at the moment but am certain its not helping
bicarb 'douche' after toiletting and 'air drying' (!)

ive already tried to swap to organic natracare liners as i was worried there was possibly a latex or similar substance in cheaper versions - although they are not as effective and need changing 3 x daily

i am positive that this is hormone related - and as with anything of that type its often chronic and demands long term management rather than 'cure'

if i wasnt preg i would be trying aloe vera capsules and probably canesten. ive treid sudocrem and it helped on application but i find it 'builds up' and is difficult to completely clean away without aggravating the area again.

This is just miserable i cant believe there are so few who feel they are getting on top of it. i will go to gp and ask for swabs again but ive had 3 clear urine dips in the last few months

good luck guys!
Just an update: I`ve been dealing with this going on a year now, just the inner labia, slightly `peely' looking but otherwise normal, the itch really seems to only happen at night, and maybe first thing in the morning when I wake up, but once i get up and active it's gone. The last couple months, I've found relief by washing with soap (i use Kiss My Face olive oil soap, it;s very very simple, only 3 ingredients so it doesn't irritate) to get rid of any build-up without having to scrub, because I found that when I didnit use soap, I'd tend to be a little more rough when washing. But so I wash with soap, and then apply glaxal base moisuriser, you can buy it at pharmacies, and again, very very plain, and I apply that twie a day (morning and night) and I wash nightly. The itching was like 99% gone, and I was okay with having to do that little routine if it meant it would stay away.

Then I had sex for the first time... 2 weeks ago. At first I thought the labia were just irritated from friction or whatever, but it was like.. unbearably itchy so I went to the Dr and he diagnosed me immediately with a very standard yeast infection, reccommended monistat and gave me a diflucan prescription incase the monistat didn't clear it completely. After I finished the treatment, had sex again, and now again a couple days later, it seems that the first yeast infection is either coming back, or I've got another one. Interesting, though, because the days following the monistat everything was fine. No itch, no nothing, which leads me to believe that maybe this is just some sort of weird, lurking yeast infection? Who knows, I just took my diflucan and hopefully that will get rid of whatevers left of the yeast infection, and I'll post if it becomes a recurring, full-blown yeast thing... I hope it doesn't, lol. Has anybody else found that sex seems to make this come out of hiding, and get way worse?
Think the bicarb is working.  Its definatey clearing it for a few hours and if i do start to itch again its localised to one area at the front above clitoris and isnt as bad. Just tend to change my liner and do another 'rinse' if it flares up again.
Have put no cream on whatsoever and i dont feel quite as 'dry'

will keep u posted
i have all these syptoms. its such irritation and itching around the hole in my vagina.. it feels like its inside but not deep in. i've tried everything! and itching and scratching only makes it worse. it only feels better if being touched or like said above, having sex. i don't know what to do! i'm embarassed and want help!
stop all the home remedy this is not the 18th century... come on now.

change your laundry detergent, (thats how i got better)
dont dont wear tight clothes (underwear, pants...)
wash with water then wipe everytime u use the restroom
always wash your hands with soap!
make sure you partners hands n ... clean before having sex.
see your gynecologist even if you dont have insurance save a 100 to 300 its worth the visit and the medicine the Dr. perscribes isnt that expensive, follow the directions of the medicine and if it doesnt work go back to your gynecologist (he is there to help ppl like you stop the suffering)
dont wait to long it will only get worse
and last suggestion is pray :)

Best of luck to all
ive been having the same problems onlyi am 21 and for the last 2 years every couple months for up to a week i experience extrereme itching on my labia  i dont really notice if im keeping busy but if im just sitting watching tv it gets unbearable so far i just make sure im always washing my hands and i shower in the morning and at nite, ive also noticed it helps if u keep nice and "trimmed" im gonna try everrything that was suggested here and ill update if i find a better solution THANX
Strange what I'm reading about all the syptoms. I've had this itch problem, come and go since was 6 yrs. old. Started in the anus area. Went away as quick as it came. No more itch no more symptoms. Came back twice when young. Problem started up again in my earlie twenties. Let me say this is different than yeast infection, Herpes, and jock itch. I wake up in the morning with it, drives me crazy, through out the day, and if you itch it it gets worse. Than it mysteriously goes away. No discharge, no odor, nothing but the itch. I use nothing to alliviate the itch and yet it goes away as quickly as it came. Sometimes it lasts for more than a day or two and than disappears. It will show up with