Extremely itchy labia near vagina, no discharge
Ok, so I've been putting up with on again, off again itching for months on my labia, near my vaginal opening. Never "diagnosed" with HPV but I did get rid of a suspected wart this past year. Can you have a bacterial infection without discharge? It drives me CRAZY sometimes, the only thing that calms it is gold bond ointment, which is minty and refreshing but I'd like no itch. No "rash" that I can see, unless I give in and scratch. I take cranberry supplements to keep me flushed out for a UTI, which I was treated for last year. My doctor is unsupportive, and unhelpful-told me was due to regrowth from not getting waxed. I just want some facts to arm myself with before trying the doc (new doc) office again.

Any suggestions?? All you cooch experts feel free to speculate.
i hope i'm not offending u but what if there is no discharge. i have absolutely none.my problem is the itching, especially on my right side of my "lip". it feels as if bugs are scurrying under my skin.
I have no discharge either - none! It just feels itchy on the outer 'lips'. Not fully outside - just the first fold inside.And if I itch it gets extremely itchy.
I don't have any itch around the anus either - just what I think is the labia majora.
I am trying a full course of Canesten anyway - just to see if it goes away. I was thinking that maybe I have thrush internally and the discharge isn't there because I am using tea tree etc and keeping it at bay.
I am really not sure but just trying everything I can think of!
Let me know if you get any results with anything and I will keep you posted of any changes.
I had the same problem with the itching and I used a pill named Periton.I bought it in Trinidad for 0.25cts and I used a cream named Lotrisone which I got for 82.50 and the itching went away completely after about 10mins. The good thing is that i stopped the cream an pill and I have no signs of the itching. After spending over 2000.00 in doctor bills and no relief a pharamcist recommended these two products and i thank him for the relief. I am not sure if you all wanna try this and see what happens. Also try washing underwears separately and with a softener instead of harsh soap powders....I hope this helps.................
It could be is eczema.  I've had discoid eczema for about two years, and have just recently begun itching in and around my outer "lip" area.  I have been using cocoa butter and coal tar cream "extremely sparingly" and it seems to help.  This could explain not having any other symptoms other then the itching.
i have recently relocated from the US and canand to jamaica, i thought maybe the climate changes had something to do with my situation, but i'm at a location of the island that requires comforters at night. it is cool and breezy. no fans nor ac is required, put it that way. so along with the canesten i add a little bleach to my buff puff or bathing rag and things are minimized by about 10%. might not seem like alot, but it buys time for you to regain some sanity.
I started itching in the external Vaginal area about 5 weeks ago. I started 3 days before period and stopped while I had my period as soon as the period stopped the itching started again. I thought it might be a yeast infection (even though there was no discharge) took 3 day treatment no itching and when treatment was over it came right back. The itching happens through the day off and on. I can go a day or two with no itching and then it comes back. I went to the Doctor and she found nothing. Her words "I don't know what it is" she told me to not have intercourse for 5 days use cortisone off brand 2x daily wash with fingers tips(which I do) with celaphil and use Virgin Olive Oil for lube. Still have the itch 5 days later with my period. She told me to call her back if it doesn't go away, but sounds like everyone has been trying doctors and they don't know. My husband suggested bathing in Iodine. I am going to try it tonight. I CAN"T TAKE IT! I have changed soaps and detergent do not use Birth control had a child 18 months ago stopped nursing 4 months ago. Married 7 yrs no other partners no history of any health issues. Thought it could be atrophic vaginitis, but dr didn't seem to think so. The only thing that stops it from itching all day is anti itch cream like vagasil.
I have had the same thing. I have never had sex before so STD is out of the picture. I have itching on my labia majora, it is like dry skin, it is mostly around my vagina, but sometimes my anus too. I was wondering if I could be so dry from using tampons, and then the string irritates my skin, i do have very sensitive skin. I have tried anti-fungal cream, and preparation H, i am now trying cortisone anti-itch cream. I just don't know what it could be if nothing has been down there. I am not on birth contol or any antibiotics, it just appeared one day. I just want relief, it is an embarrassing problem to have at my age. :(

I pretty positive I have found my answer and I hope it help all of you ladies.  I had skin issues, allergies to soaps, detergents, foods, etc. when I was a kid and had issues with being red and irritated below.  These faded as I got older.  After having my first daughter, we bought a house in mexico.  My skin would get really dry, cracked rashy, going from the cold of the state of washington to the warm and humidity of mexico.  I got a rash under my watch one trip down there and was diagnosed with eczema, I got on a cream and the rash no longer appears, my wrist just really wrinkly and it seems to be when the weather changes, or when I'm stressed.  Then we took another couple of trips and my feet and hands became extremely dry, cracked, the crease in my ear lobes, around my nose sides of my mouth would crack.  Skin literally seemed to fall off of my face when i got off of the plane from Mexico to WA and it wasnt from a sunburn.  During this time, the last 2.5 yrs I have had the itch below....details described in a post above I listed a few months ago.  I did the detergent, soap change, cotton underwear etc. and the itch comes and goes for 2.5 yrs.  Anyhow, after an itchy night again...I went on line and found this website and it seems to explain me to a t. http://www.mydr.com.au/womens-health/vulval-problems-a-self-help-guide

What I thought was t.p, cant be, I use sensitive wipes, is my skin peeling down below, as the website above describes, the reason no one can find anything wrong is usually because gyno's aren't trained in skin conditions, just disease issues therefore they wouldnt no what to look for, you would need to go to a dermatologist.  I am positive the eczema which has plagued other areas of my body is now down below and I started using the cream I use for my eczema down below and I'm proud to say after a small sting, the itch has stopped and I had a wonderful sleep last night. I really hope this helps you other ladies out. Let me know Ok.

http://www.mydr.com.au/womens-health/vulval-problems-a-self-help-guide
ive been having that itching burning feeling without the discharge for about a week now.but before that it started of just being dry and my skin cracking if i opened up my lips just a bit, even to wipe. First i was just putting a wet cloth on my labia, then i went to go get vagisil for dryness and itchiness and that burned like crazy, then it just started to make all my skin peel off and my labia develope some sort of white stuff or something like that. So i switched it over to lamisil for jock itch. And right now it is working pretty good. I woke up in the middle of the night cause it just hurts that bad.
I also am having ALL of the symptoms reported.  I have had these itchies for a few years now.  They can almost drive you crazy.  Basically though it is the inner labia's that itch.  No discharge and no odor.  I do remember the anus being a bit itchy as well.  But basically it is the labia.  No STD, just a diabetic.  Which I thought was the answer to the problem.  But I really don't believe so.  I can definately agree with the chapped lips cuts as well.  I use anti itch powder, just a little relief though.  I do believe I have vaginal dryness and I am sure the powder don't help that at all.  I was precribed an antibiotic for this type of itching that starts with a "T" sorry I forgot the name.  It didn't help anyways.  My problem with this, and I hope I am not out of line here, but my husband REALLY enjoys oral sex.  This hasn't been done for a long time now and it may be interfering with my sex life.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  Orgasms is a temporary itch solution, but I just don't know what to do.  I do shave and this is the worst!  I found that when the hairs start to grow back, the wiskers will drive you nuts.  So now we have the itching, irritation from scratching and cuts, the regrowing of hairs and swelling from the rubbing and a husband who can't get his way.  HHHEEELLLPP!
Okay hello!!! I am so glad I found you guys.  I am in the same boat and am going nuts.  I have been itching constantly for three months straight and it is starting to overtake my life.  Plus I'm married and this kind of a problem is so unbelievably awful while trying to deal with a sex life.  As you guys know!  However, I do have some info that may help a little.  I have been to the gyno twice now and she was not that helpful.  I'm beginning to see a pattern here of gyno's not being able to help with this sort of thing.  First of all, for those whom have not been yet, IT IS NOT A YEAST INFECTION.  Those go away, and ALWAYS have a discharge and/or odor associated with them.  I have had many before and have also now been tested.  I looked up vulvodynia online and personally had almost all of those symptoms.  My doctor recommended most of the things on this website as well and I highly recommend all of them myself.  They don't stop the problem, nothing does, but it helps.  Also, I have decided to start doing acupuncture.  It solves all sorts of strange things and this problem is supposedly untreatable and could last for years.  Just wanted to throw my new idea out there in case it helps anyone else.  Will let you know if it helps.  I'm also now on a really high estrogen birth control.  I've heard that's not the healthiest route but will let you know if that works as well in case anyone's interested.  Lastly, I know gyno's are so much money but I think it would rule out sooo much to just go once.  I was tested for everything and was told absolutely nothing at all was wrong physically.  In other words yeast, skin diseases, dryness, wetness, hair, etc. other weird things were all ruled out.  Yes, it didn't help to fix it but it did make me stop using creams and medications and start changing my life in the ways I need to to fix this horrible, HORRIBLE problem.  Yuk.  Well it felt good to get all of this out there.
I have managed the itch for the last 4 weeks with PIRITON tablets (antihistamine: chlorophenamine) which I am taking one every 5 hours, frequent cleaning (every 2 hours) of the area with Aqueous Cream BP (+ covering the area with the cream) and using the pantyliners.
These actions reduced the itch by %80.
then I had my appointment after 2 month of waiting:
She assumed it is Lichen Planus but I'll have a biopsy soon to diagnose it. I'll let you know about the result.
Please read this scientific article which is about treatment of different problems of the area (the vulvae itch can be caused by different factors):

An approach to the treatment of anogenital pruritus by Gabriele E. Weichert
Dermatologic therapy (ISSN: 13960296) Vol 17, 2004 129-133

Best wishes,
I'm so glad I found you guys as well! Not only do i find many of us who suffer the same crazy itch, but also encouraged me to finally go see a GP.

I have all the symptoms described. I feel the itch a lot more when i'm about to get my period. I also feel like my vaginal lining and ovaries are itchy... like a tingling feeling that makes you think it's itchy.. does anyone else have this?

I was thinking hormonal as well, but i'm 24 and not going through menopause... not pregnant, haven't had sex in a very long time.

The only thing i can think of is - i had a cervical cancer vaccine two months ago, which was the same time from when this itching started. I'm going to speak to the GP really soon about this and see if this is related. Will come back and continue the brain storming.
HI....your simptoms seem to be more like mine and I wonder if they are horomonal.  When I was pregnant 2 years ago with my third child (a Girl).  I had terrible vagina problems.  In my third trimester I developed an allergic reaction to my luandry detergent and had to wash my underware in baby shampoo.  Well after she was born the itching stopped and I nursed her for 22 months.  Well about a month after I stopped (last November) I started with a monthly itching problem.  I figured out that I get it about every 7-10 days before my cycle.  After my cycle the itching stops and is gone for a few weeks then I get it again and 7-10 days later my cycle (I have PCOS, so my cycle is not regular).  I've been to my GYN with the inflimation and she has tested me for everything possible and I tested negative, she says she does not know what it is.  My next option is a biopsy (I'm not looking forward to that).  The things I find to work, it warm water, Benadryle to sleep becuase the itch increases at night, and I found it's not as bad at night if I wear a panty liner ALL day.  I've tried changing the way I wash my underware (like when I was pregnant) but that didnt' work.
This is long, but I believe it will help!!!!!

Where to begin?  First, I am not a doctor.  I will graduate from a U.S. medical school in less than 1 year and will then be a doctor (I plan on going into OB-Gyn).

The medical input:
There are multiple things that can cause itching inside and outside of the vagina, and often it is difficult to tell the difference between them.  If itching is accompanied by a discharge (any liquid or "slime") or an odor, you need to see your doctor because you may have an infection that requires a prescription to treat (such as bacterial vaginosis - "BV", or trichominiasis - "trich", each requiring different medications).  
Aging, and the inevitable menopause, can cause changes to the skin in and around your vagina as well as the natural oils in that area.  This is called atrophic vaginitis, and some doctors may recommend an estrogen cream to help women through this time.
The yeast infections which many females are familiar with that cause an internal (and external) itching along with a cottage cheese like discharge are usually caused by Candida albicans. When you go to your doctor and they check you for a yeast infection, this is what they are checking for.
Now my personal experience:
I have experienced the typical "yeast infection" as well as the external labial itching which is being described here, and they are not the same thing.  I believe the external itching (around the anus and/or labia) to be a female form of jock itch.  Every time my husband looses control of his athlete's foot and/or jock itch (these are both commonly caused by the same organism), I end up with the itchy (and eventually burning) labia described in many of the previous entries.  Unfortunately, the medical world is not very familiar with jock itch in females.  Also, good or bad, doctors like their tools for diagnosis such as looking for the organism under the microscope.  I have not found any sources to substantiate this, but it may be that the female form of jock itch is simply hard to catch under the microscope.
The bottom line:
I have found that the best way to conquer this "female jock itch" is with over-the-counter antifungal ointments (such as Lamisil AT or Naftin), though these are not meant to be used inside of the vagina.  The kicker is that my husband and I have to BOTH treat our genital areas and our feet with the antifungal ointment (and some couples may require that both partners treat their hands as well for the very tough cases) in order to combat the problem.
Again, treatment for the female includes thoroughly treating BOTH PARTNERS.
Treatment is outlined beautifully on MayoClinic.com (a reputable website run by a well respected hospital system) at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/jock-itch/DS00490/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs
To start, look at the treatments listed, but don't forget to look through the prevention page as well since these tips are also useful in conquering this troublesome issue.  It is important to stay clean and dry, wear loose clothing (especially underwear), and to treat both partners thoroughly.
Remember, not everyone who itches has a fungus, so it is important to consult your doctor, especially if you have pain, discharge, or an unusual odor.  If, however, your doctor tells you she can't find anything to explain the itching then you may find some relief with my advice.  Good luck!
I found this thread really interesting.  I WAS diagnosed with genital HSV2 and have had rectal and labia itching now going on 18 months!   The experts keep telling me it is CANNOT be related to herpes.  It is miserable and very distracting!  I have it everyday though out the day!   Thanks for sharing.  
I also suffer from EXTREME itching in the inter-labia region and anal opening. This itch started in 2008. The itch is so bad that I get confused whether it's itchiness or pain. I can't ignore it; it keeps me up at night, and wakes me up in the morning. It feels as if there are worms under my skin, but of course there isn't.

During the whole time that I was suffering, I found this thread and it made me feel comforted that I am not crazy and that unfortunately many women suffer from this. I went to 7 different doctors (dermatologists, gynecologists, allergist, vulva-specialists), and all they can tell me is that I have hyper-sensitive skin. I was prescribed a total of 8 different hydrocortisone (steroid) creams. Some of them would work for a few weeks, but then the itch would flare up again. I was even prescribed a cream that would dull my nerve endings, but it still didn't help. Throughout this process my doctors reassured me that i can keep using the creams, but DON'T! It really does thin out your skin, which leads to ripped skin that never heals.

I am currently doing well, and my itchiness is under control. Thus I wanted to share what I have learned:

1. Bathing in tea helps, but because my itch is near the vagina, bathing in tea is not a good idea in the long run because it changes the pH balance down there, which could lead to other problems (over-growth of bacteria or yeast that's not suppose to be there). But if your itch is elsewhere on the body, then it really helps.

2. Icing helps to numb the pain, but not good for long term use because you're skin will get desensitize to the shock and the effectiveness of icing will slowly go away.

3. Diet matters. I cut out spicy foods or anything that is "intense" and opted for a more neutral and mild diet...such as steamed vegetables, lots of water-dense fruits, and lots of tea.

4. BABY POWDER! I realized that it's the moisture that makes me itchy. All my doctors tell me that I should moisturize my vaginal area and apply creams and Vaseline because they think I could have eczema. But when I do that, I keep itching. Only after a year of suffering did i stop listening to the doctors and tried keeping it dry. Not more dry than the rest of my body, but equally dry. After I shower, I would let it air dry and then apply baby powder which absorbs the moisture.

5. ACUPUNTURE! I never had acupuncture before, but I have heard that it heals systemic problems in the body, and it works really well for allergies. So I started doing acupuncture for the past month, and this is what sealed the deal. I use to take Zrytec every day, and now, I don't need it anymore.

The lesson for me is that creams will only cover the symptoms for an unknown time until your itch flares again. And trying to make lifestyle changes may address the root of the problem more.

Itch765 how do you have acupuncture done in your labia area?  I had that done on my pelvic area yrs ago and I did not get relief but will stay open minded.  I'm not so sure this isn't related to my H diagnosis.  

The baby powder I do use and I sometimes use Lidocaine cream on the outer labia area.   For my rectum I use a dab of bacitricin I like the Target brand.  I'm glad your feeling better and thanks for sharing your tips.
I
Well I've been having the same symptoms for the past few days; no discharge/rash/swelling, just an itch, which turns slightly sore after scratching. Although not in the anal region like some people have commented, just around the middle of the vulva and on the underside of the outer lips, but I'm reluctant to go see a doctor as they seem to be worse than useless. One of my family members suffers from severe Psoriasis, which is genetic, and seeing as there are no other symptoms apart from the itch, I'm beginning to wonder if this could be the culprit, and I have also suffered from it on other parts of my body before(although very mildly) Psoriasis is usualy red and scaly when on other parts of the body, but when it appears on this area it's usually red but smooth; no scales. It usually comes and goes so many people will probably never be able to get rid of the problem completely, but there are creams and ointments to subside symptoms. It's a fairly common disease so it could be that a lot of you here with this frustrating itch are suffering from it, although I am 16 years old and no doctor! So this really is just an educated guess. I find that dampening a baby wipe with water and gently rubbing the affected area helps for a while. Also (although harder said than done) try not to itch! Check other parts of your body for red patches, particulalry on your elbows,knees and scalp, which are typical places for Psoriasis to appear. Anyway, it's worth googling Psoriasis to check your sypmtoms and find out more. Hope I've helped (: