FREEZING CELLS AND PREGNANCY

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

FREEZING CELLS AND PREGNANCY

i HAVE A QUESTION THAT NEVER OCCURED TO ME UNTIL NOW.
I HAD PRE CANCEROUS CELL FROZEN BACK IN 2004.
SINCE THEN MY PAP SMEAR HAVE BEEN NORMAL.
DOES GETTING PRE CANCEROUS CELLS FROZEN AFFECT MY CHANCES OF HAVING A BABY?
I dont think so.
I had cryotherapy on my cervix and my doctor told me it should not affect my fertility at all.  I have also researched it and everything I have learned supports that, although there is a very small chance of the cervix shortening or the freezing destroying the mucous glands in the cervix but the odds are about 1%.  In fact, one study I read about said that fertility actually slightly increased in the women in their study that had cryotherapy because it IMPROVED cervical mucous. I used to worry about that, too, but now I feel better.  Hope you do, too.
Thank you so much!
I also did a bit of research and all support that there was no affect on pg. Thank you so much for posting I feel good about it now!
I had a good friend tha twas worried about the same thing.  She now has 2 happy healthy babies.

Good luck,

Amanda
I had cells frozen from my cervix and had 3 children after
the procedure.  The only concern would be if the doctor would
need to stitch your cervix closed, so it would open up prematurely.  I would ask your OB/GYN about that.
I had Chryo after my 4th baby.. Went on to get pregnant with the 5th. No stitching of cervix was done and no complications with the pregnancy til the end. What you NEED to remember and where I had a problem was during delivery. I went into labor on Christmas Day. Contractions continued for days but weren't too bad. Was at the hospital to get checked and was at 1 cm. Put on the PIT. All day I contracted but stayed at 1 cm. Next day, PIT again, stayed at 1cm. It was a huge mystery because I was contracting severely the entire time. FINALLY Director of Obstetrics at the hospital checked me and found a small piece of scar tissue holding my cervix closed. He asked if I had ever had Chryo or any other surgery? Yep. So he snipped the scar tissue, and VOILA I was at 10 cm within 30 minutes and she was delivered VERY quickly. In fact she shot out like a bullet and the doc almost dropped her.LOL  So make sure that everyone involved with your L&D is aware that you have had this procedure and if for some reason you feel your labor is delayed, ask them if scar tissue could be the problem. Had this been taken care of with me, I would have had a Christmas baby instead of a New Years Eve baby!
You will be FINE!! And best wishes! Hope this little tidbit helped.
--J
I had a similar issue as Joanna, I was having heavy duty contractions, but little to no progress with dilation. Them BAM, went from three to 10 in under 15 minutes. I had the same theory, I had a LEEP/CONE done a few years before which caused a lot of scar tissue, seems like once it broke free, the race was on!

Andi