Fibrocystic Breasts
I've felt a rather large "lump" on my upper and outer right breast for at least 2 months. It does get worse before period and also stays after the period, though smaller. My GYN said she didn't feel there was a definite lump, but certainly fibrocystic and dense. She also ordered a mammogram and an ultra-sound.

I am only 26 and fortunately rational that my condition is unlikely to be cancer. HOWEVER, given that my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 36, and she also had fibrocystic breasts, I would like to know the updated theory on the relationship between fibrocystic breasts and breast cancer.

Do fibrocystic breasted women have an elevated chance of developing breast cancer?
I had a similar scare about eight years ago.  After a mammogram the doctor inserted a needle and drained a large amount of fluid.  I attended the breast clinic every six months and had several cysts drained.  I then had two clear years and the problem has not returned.  My mother had a mastectomy at the age of 32 so I know the fear you feel.  Regular self exams and an annual mammogram  have kept me right since.
I too am fibrocystic and usually end up having an ultrasound with mammogram because I too
have dense breasts. I've been told by doctors and mammo techs, that dense breasts are hard
to read on mammograms and therefore I am always called back for further evaluation. I now insist
on an ultrasound at the same time as mammogram so they can get a better view. Athough I'm older
in my 40's I'v e been told that Vitamen B and B-12 help with fibrocystic breasts.
hi i have no breast cancer in my family genes except my grandma's sister. but i recently found a hard lump on my right breast. i noticed it around the time of my period and have alwasy been more tender around that time of the month. im getting an ultrasound soon and may need to have it removed. could this be cancerous and what do they do in the surgery. Did i mention Im only 17 YEARS OLD?  this has been very stressful and scary not knowing what to expect.
Have you had your mammo yet?
I was just diagnosed today with this and my doctor said that it was deffinetly not breast cancer at all. My auntie died of breast cancer and I was extremely worried even though I am only 17. My mother had a lump similar to mine when she was in her 20s. In the surgery they just put a needle I. Your breast and remove the "puss" inside the cyst. It's not very painful at all. A cyst is pretty much a large pimple.