Flu Shot in 1st Trimester Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Flu Shot in 1st Trimester Pregnancy

I've read that it is recommended for pregnant women to have their flu shots, but do you really think it's safe in the first trimester? I am very concerned about the affects on my pregnancy but want to do the right thing.
I found on one website (shootheflu on an aurora healthcare page) that it said "Women who will be pregnant during the flu season." Does that mean get it before you get pregnant??  Let's think what a vaccine is.  A weak form of the actual virus, right?  But I heard they aren't doing it that way anymore, they're now doing it a safer way, so wouldn't it make sense it would be safer for your baby too?  Your baby is sharing your immune system and I don't know what it'll do to your little one's growing system. Consult your physician.  Or go to a flu clinic and talk to someone before you get it.  Have a happy and healthy pregnancy/flu season!
I am currently in my third trimester.  My OB/GYN recommended I receive the flu shot this year.  When I called my primary care physician to schedule the flu shot her nurse told me as long as I wasn't in my first trimester I could receive the shot.  Since you are in your first trimester I would definitely check with your physician before receiving the shot.  Best of luck with your pregnancy.
You do wan tot do the right thing for you but I work in the health care field and am also pg and am 30 weeks and this week at  my appointment the doc offered a shot and I got it, becuase I am in 2 high risk catagories. If you do decide to get one let the nurse who is giving you the shot that you are pg and how far along you are and if they don't know or if it MAy not be OK they will tell you to talk to your doctor.
Do not I repeat do not get a flu shot
I have never had the flu but when I was pregnant and was told to get this shot I should have trusted my instinct s I was sick my pregnancy was overall pain free and normal but i remember after the shot Iwas so sick i couldnt stop going to the bathroom I had to go to the hospital and get an IV of potassium because I bm ed all my nutrients out of my body i thought I was going to lose my baby. of course I didn't but it was horrible and that was the year that the government later told us on tv that it was the wrong strain of flu.  OOPs!!
My sister and I are both pregnant and due in the spring.  When we were 8 and 9 weeks along (respectively) we both recieved the flu shot.  My sister works in an OB's office and has seen what can go wrong when you get the flu in pregnancy.  The doctor she works for, whom I have alot of trust in recommended it at that time.  I have had the flu 2x, pneumonia once, and I suffer from asthma.  I would never chance having the flu over getting the flu shot.  The woman who wrote before me sounds like she ate some bad food.  The flu (contrary to popular belief) does not cause stomach upset.  What it does cause is 1 - 2 weeks of HIGH fever (dangerous for baby), extreme congestion (lower oxygen to baby...bad), and vomiting from all the mucus (loss of nutrients).  If you don't want it in the first trimester make sure you can get it in the 2nd.  It can save your and your baby's life.