Fluid around ovary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Fluid around ovary

I just had an ultrasound today for lower abdominal pain. It showed I had about 2 cups of fluid around one of my ovaries. Dr wants to do surgery and possibly a partial hysterectomy, just remove my uterus, if he finds endometrosis. I'm not sure if this is a normal amount of fluid for a cyst and if I should just wait it out or go through with surgery.
If you had a very very large cyst then you could possibly have that much fluid once it ruptured.  it's your body and you have the right to make certain that things are what they seem before you have a life-altering surgery.  I say that you should tell your doc you want to hold off on the surgery and request that he rescan you in 3 or 4 weeks to see if the fluid level has reduced significantly.  If not then you probably will need the surgery but atleast you'll feel better knowing that you made sure before making that jump and if it comes back that the fluid has reduced significantly then you'll feel a ton better knowing that you didn't have to have an unnecessary procedure.  If your doc's not willing to give you that time and rescan then you need to look into getting a second opinion.  Good luck