Folic Acid Overdose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Folic Acid Overdose

Hello everyone,
     Help me please! I don't know how to do the next step?
     My wife  get pregnant and have taken folic acid for 20 days.Unfortunately,we make a big mistake. She intake 40mg/day. It's about 100 times the suggested dose (about 0.4 microgramme /day).
   I want to know  the risk of the  overdose.
   How to reduce the risk?

Thanks!
I haven't heard of ODing on folic acid.  I'm not saying it's not possible, but I've never heard of it.  Make sure she talks to her doctor about it.  In the future, just make sure that she is taking the right amount.  She should not stop taking it, as folic acid is very crucial in reducing birth defects.  Try not to worry because you can't undo what has already been done.  It seems unlikely that any real harm has been done, but again, make sure she lets her DR know.
I found this on www.foodanddiet.com.  The first part is alarming, but the very bottom part isn't too bad.  She should definitely report this to the doctor though!

Overdose : Folic acid overdose (too much) can result in:    
    masking of a B-12 deficiency which can lead to irreversible nerve damage

seizures in epileptics (Reported on epileptic forums and message boards by several epileptics monitoring their own seizures and supplement/food intake. It is possible that the resulting seizures were precipitated by a masked loss or deficiency of B-12 or other B vitamins.) This updated information is provided in response to a note from M.V. on May 26, 2003.

Additional warning to those with seizure disorders, do not engage in a program involving more than 400mcg of folic acid for more than a few days without first speaking with your doctor. This information is supported by several studies including, but not limited to, studies conducted by Dr. Andrew Weil and Dr. Atkins, independent of each other. This information is provided in response to a note from M.Y. of Phoenix, AZ.

** According to several recently published studies, women and men can consume up to 20 grams of folic acid per day without danger. In fact, many researchers believe that the low end requirement as set by the FDA leaves the body subject to low blood cell production, reduction in protein metabolism, and a higher risk of birth defects. The adjustments to these amounts were prompted by a note from CR. We thank him for his interest in updating our site.

Try calling your poison control center.  It is usually in the phone book.  Those people there are like scientists and can tell you a lot about certain drugs, etc.  They are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
Hi everyone!
I'm so glad that I have got the medhelp email 'Looking Back, Moving Forward - MedHelp Newsletter' . It's been a long time since I post the question 'The Folic Acid Overdose'.
Thanks to greenpixie , lmroswell,IWantToBeAMom and everyone  who want to help  others.
I have a smart girl and she is going on 3 years old.
Thanks again!