Forgot Tampon

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Forgot Tampon

I have just discovered that I forgot to take out a tampon but have had my period this whole week so have been using a tampon on top of the old one. I had noticed a very bad odour and when I took the left one out its was horrific!! This morning I woke up feeling like im getting flu and im worried its TSS. If anyone has done something as silly as this before and has advice please let me know. Im reading all sorts of things about it being life-threatening etc. I would appreciate any advice.
hi. i have done this before only not as long. i didnt have any odor or anything but the tampon was far in and the string was not visable so i forgot it was there. i had to reach far in. i called the phone # on the box/brochure of the tampons and asked someone about it cuz i was scared. if i remember correctly, they are nurses but you should DEFINITLY call and not let this go. or call your gynocologist so they can see you. will you post back and let us know??
Thanks for your reply....and advice....
The thing is that I got my period on Saterday so between then and now ive left it in and it was lodged so far back because I was then using fresh tampons...(rather blonde)!!! The odour is from having my period and the tampon just collecting most of it.......sounds so awful.....ive just consulted the best doctor I know...my MUM and she seems to think it should be fine and has suggested some sort off anti bacterial wash pescribed to woman for Vaginal Infections..she is going to email me the name of it. Have you ever heard of anything like this? How long did you leave the tampon inside ? I don't understand how I forgot about it, its something you would think you would never forget about.....I will let you know the outcome....thank-you again.
yes, i did the same thing..put a new tampon in w. the old one in there pushing it further in. you are not the only one to do this so stop calling yourself "blonde" ok?? it happens to the best of us. your mom is a dr? i still think you should call the 1-800 # on the box just for "ha ha's" and see what the reccommend. i do not know of the cream your mom was referring to. what type of dr. is she? also, i dont think you mentioned this..did you get the old one out? i just dont like how you said you have an odor and flu-like. that concerns me.
I think TSS is pretty seriousl business.  If you read the pamphlet that comes in the tampon box they are very emphatic about going to see a doctor if you develop symptoms.  

At the very least please call your doc's office and ask to speak with a nurse.  Ask the nurse what she recommends.  I personally think you should be examined, but maybe I'm overreacting.
TSS is very rare, remember that.  Most health care practitioners have never in their professional lives seen a case.
My husband had a girlfriend in high school and her mother got TSS from an ectopic pregnancy that burst.  She almost died and is now in a wheel chair the rest of her life becuase of brain damage.  Go to a doctor immediately!
tss is very rare and usually not fatal if recognized and treated. when it occurs can be dangerous. a tampon left in (usually the super absorbancy ones) can give off bacteria that produces toxins. normally, our body would just fight off the bacteria but if it doesnt react to fight off these toxins that can equal tss.  
tss symptoms usually show 2-3 days after an infection sets in. if the dr. suspects you have it, he/she may do a blood test and/or give antibiotics. again, tss is rare but ONLY because you have "flu-like" symptoms is why i would go in. did you call the dr. as of yet?
No my mum is not a doctor but she has the best advice and she knows everything!!! What she said is logical its just I can't think back that far....the only reason I thought about having a 2nd tampon stuck inside me is because this morning I battled to get one in........so the same would have happened earlier this week surely, I just can't remember that far. I saw on another website a girl had left one in for about 5 days and said it had a horrific smell and the Dr replied saying that it was fine as long as she got it out....but you are right, when I get home I will contact the number on the box just to make sure...I unfortunately panic and work my self up so after reading that TSS starts like flu I think im mentally making myself worse.....hopefully its a concidence........The thing my mum is talking about is called a "Douce" something you squirt up there...used for infections there etc. I will let you know what the outcome it once I have phoned the helpline number. Im hoping all is okay. thanku again for your reply........im glad to hear im not the only one who has done this!!!
oh no! please dont douche! i dont want to disagree w. mum cuz you know how mums know best but that can push any bacteria even further up causing more problems!!
listen, tss is rare but can happen. if you have a fever of 102 or higher, vommiting, diarreah (diarrhea) (sp), dizziness/fainting or a sunburn-like rash are symptoms of tss. i understand the dr. can give something to take care of it if you do have it but its better to be safe than sorry. please call your dr. post back ok?
You are being very helpful!!! okay, no douching then.....im trying to think as sensibly as possible and I reckon I could be over reacting because im not vomiting nor do I have a runny stomach.....my flu like symptoms are sinusie ones so maybe it is just flu after all..........I have just sent an email to the tampon manufacturers and have asked there advice....I will let you know what they reply back. Why I can't remember all the important details is a mystery to me...its funny how you can work yourself up in your mind and convince yourself of something thats not true....but im still not 100% convinced myself...when you say TSS is rare...do you mean it doesn't happen often?
I don't want to alarm you, but please call your Dr immediately!  I went to high school with a girl that developed TSS and it is not pretty.  It may be nothing, but please see a physician.  Don't feel bad that you left one in, it happens.  Just make sure that you are ok.  The tampon manufacturers cannot do that.
Hi there. thank-you for your advice. I will have to arrange to see my doctor....its just such a hassle...but I guess health issues should never be a hassle...
Thanku again. Will let you know the outcome.
What I've read from online articles is this, douching does nothing to clean you out.  If fact, it can actually be harmful to your vagina.  Your vagina has an acidic ph to it to kill any harmful bacteria trying to invade.  Douches change this ph to alkaline which, in turn, could cause infections.  I never recommend douches unless, for some reason, your doc recommends it for you.  Good luck and I hope it turns out alright.
Posts like these make me so paranoid about using tampons but they also make women more cautious. So please do not feel embarrassed. I have found myself wondering more times than I can count if I left one behind. Soemtimes I just can't for the life of me remember if I took the last one out or not. And I am one of those that doesn't JUST use tampons, I switch back and forth but also have problems with a reaction to pads. And tampons cause severe cramps for some reason, so anyways, the lapse in the on and off of using them leaves lots of room for doubt as to IF I took it out..
Why I am going on about his is beyound me. Just wanted to let you know that we are ALL forgetful.
And i also wanted to mention that they do not recommend leaving them in for more than 8 hours for all of the resons the ladies have already listed. And I am also assuming that you are in Europe by the usage of the word "mum" which is so indearing to me... I know that in the U.S. douching USED to be very popular. Those Summer's Eve commercials were on every five minutes telling women they had to douch to be clean and fresh.. Now I don't think I've seen a douche on the store shelves in years. The female body is a self cleaning oven..LOL
So keep an eye on your temp and please see a medical doctor. I'm sure your mum is very intelligent but even she would hate to see you get ill after taking her advice not to worry. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Keep us posted..
--JoAnna
Thanks everyone for you help and advice!!!! I have not used the douche after reading all the negative's about it, I am however quite confident that I do NOT have TSS, I have not been to my doctor but thats because I am feeling so much better today, I have a cold only and its a sinusie cold so it can't be TSS. I think I thought the worst (as girls seem to always do..) and after a chat with my mum and much logical thinking im should be just fine!! However if anything does happen to prove me wrong I will be sure to let you know. I did get a response to my email from the tampon manufacturer who thought that the tampon was lost inside of me and she instructed me to see my doctor straight away.......well I got the tampon out and my body should be sorting the rest...I drunk over 2 litres of cranberry juice last night and about 8 glasses of green tea to cleanse my system!!!!! Thank-you all once again......... :-)
thanks for posting back. im sure youre ok too but just keep an eye on yourself!
hi i went to the clinic last night to get checked out and i had a tampon stuck in me and i was having crazy periods and headaches feeling sick but no fevers or anything but i did get it out they gave me the gel anitbiotic and doxicycline and ive been takin it i was just wonderin will this mess up my chances to get pregnant? me and my husband have been tryin but havent had any luck but we also didnt know that was up there and i dont know how long its been because we had stop having sex for almost 2 months so now we wanna try again and im really excited but i worry due to what they had taken out is it safe? does it risk my chances?
I have recently done the same thing. I had a baby about three weeks ago, and my doctor told me when i was comfortable, i could use tampons again. I started noticing a slight pain when I sat a certain way and even when i used the restroom. I figured it was from the pregnancy, so i thought nothing of it. It took about a week of pain and countless new tampons (on top on the old one) before i figured out what the problem was. My first reaction was "Omg, I have TSS." But after talking to my mother, she suggested just to watch for symptoms such as vomiting and a fever and recommended if they do show, go to the ER right away. So im still watching for any types of symptoms, none have appeared.. yet. It was just a scary situation.
Today I went to an urgent care walk in clinic because of really bad almost rotten smells, and watery discharge coming out whenever I stood up from laying or sitting down. I thought maybe it was bacterial vaginosis. When he put the speculum in and was like, "You have a tampon in there, did you know that?" I was like "No!"  Its been probably 8 days since the last day I would have used a tampon from my period, so I was absolutely embarrassed and shocked. He really had to dig for it too. What makes it worse, is I've had sex between that timeframe and before those symptoms arose. The 22nd I started having cold symptoms just out of nowhere, runny nose, headaches, feeling weak and tired, but I have gradually been feeling better. Dr said I was lucky I didnt have TSS, my temp was normal, so Im assuming I dont have anything to worry about right? He didnt even give me anything for a possible infection or anything.
I left a tampon in for over 10 days one time, and it was horrific! I did develop TSS, and it was not pretty. I was very sick for about 2minths, and on antibiotics that made me even sicker.  I was so paraniod by tampon usage after that, that I did not use them for 7 years! I am now using them again, but with caution. I still am always paraniod, and constantly "check" to see if there are 2 in there. the worst part was that I took many many bubble baths during the time it was left in there, as well as have sex. You would think we could tell, but the human body is amazing. My main concern now is every time I get a vaginal odor with my period that I do not recognize I freak out. Does anyone know what could cause weird period odor beside this?
hi ok so 3-4 weeks ago i inserted a tapon only to then start to panic as i really didn't remember taking the last one out! just before I inserted it I had a feel around for string etc. as I always do due to my constant fear of forgetting to take the previous one out - felt nothing! Anyway once the panic struck, I removed the (what might be) second tampax, spoke to a couple of friends who had once done the same and was told by them that I would know for sure in a couple of days as the symptoms are very obvious (odor, discharge etc) I comforted myself thereafter as I stayed away from using tampax and my period seemed to be flowing normally and no symptoms! I now have my next period! And something just doesn't feel right! Slight burning sensation etc! But I've had a good feel around and can feel no sign of a forgotten tampax and no other symtoms (symptoms) that others speak of! My questions are 1) to the people who suddenly realized they had a forgotten tampax, how did you find out? Did it just slowly work its way out?... 2) Is it possible to leave one in and there not be an infection/odor? I will go to the gyno after this period if i'm still unsure... Thanks for any input!
i've left one in once, and my husband found it during foreplay.....i neverknew it was there....unfortunately for him, i couldnt reach, and ittook him about 5 mins of digging before being able to retrieve it.....i dont remmeber now how long it was in there maybe a lil more than a week, and i didnt smell or have an infection.....
if you lay on your back and insert your middle finger(i know you're on your period but you need to check), (make sure you remove the tampon your using now)....lay on your bed, prop on 1 elbow, and "hunker down".....and push.....with your finger feel around, and you "may" feel a dry spot that feels funny as well.....don't push on it, just feel around.....you may be able to find the string and pull it out, if there's anything inthere.....

sorry to get so descriptive, but i've had to go through this onthe phone with 2 diff g/f's lol.....
Thanks so much Jessica, shall attempt that tonight! At work now so think I'll save my associates from such a site (hehe)... And thanks for the description I would be lost without it! I'll keep you posted! O
I was in quite a lot of pain just after my period I 99% think that I have not left one in but did anyone who did leave one in suffer any cramp pain?
i noticed a funny odour and when  i was trying to figure out why i had it i discovered i had left a tampon in. it has been in for the last 4 days and i had sex on the first day without protection. i ahve no symptoms of tss but i am worring now. could this cause an infection or pregnancy?please help
Must be a summer time thing.. I just realized after 8 days that I had left one in.. I started to get odor about 5 days ago but have had odors due to vaginosis in the past and figured I just needed to use the cream my doctor had given me last time, its just inconvenient to use when you stay at your boyfriends a lot. Not exactly something you want to share in a new relationship but then I had sex a few days ago and it didnt hurt but the smell was there. How embarrassing!
Then today I started to get cramping and I started to bleed and I knew something was up because my period ended a week ago. So I just reached my finger up in there and I think the reason I was bleeding was because the tampon was trying to make its way back out so it was right there when I reached in to look for it. Smelled horrible!!! So gross and embarrassing.
I called Planned Parenthood and they said if I got it out and I was having symptoms of TSS then I didn't need to see a doctor but if the odor didn't subside in a couple of days to call back and make an appointment. The main thing is to get it out and to watch for symptoms of TSS. Im just going to use the cream my doctor gave me for the next couple of days.. we'll see what happens.
One of my girlfriends got TSS many years ago and it was horrible for her so make sure you watch for those symptoms and call your doctor right away. TSS is not something anyone wants to have to go through.
Good luck ladies.
Ok I was noticing a funny odor from my vaginal area and some leakage didn't know what was going on I thought it was from a new vitamin I was taking come to find out I went to the bathroom this morning and a freaking tampon came out could not believe it now I am worried what if there is another one in there? is it possible to have 3 in at one time sounds crazy but now i am so paranoid I hate pads it makes me feel like a teenager grose! my husband said when we had sex it felt like something was in there i was like no there isnt that was like three weeks ago he was right has anyone had one lost that long? I have only had funny odor and a sinus infection! I am not going to play around I am going to call my dr. asap
thanks for any replys
lindsay
I just wanted to thank you for posting such a descriptive post on Jul 23, 2008.  I had a feeling I might have left one in on the second day of my period and after feeling around up there, it had either significantly changed in two weeks or something else moved in.  After your description, I had the courage to hunker down and finally dislodged the culprit thanks to your frankness.  So, thanks for that!  Now I can get some sleep...it was keeping me up with worry! :)
The same thing just happened to me. I had my period 2 wks ago and it ended on Thursday (today's Wednesday). I must have put a "light" in there and the string must have gotten lost somehow because this morning it started to feel funny and then I felt it when I wiped. So I reached in and there it was. It was only for 6 days but I still can't believe it. My husband was complaining that something felt off when we were making love for the past few days. We thought it might be the string from my IUD which has bothered him in the past and I've had my OB/GYN readjust it before.
I'm going to make an appointment with my ON right away just to be sure as I've been having cramps and headaches for 3 days. Reading this has made me feel a lot less stupid. Good to know it happens and I'm not the only one.
I had the exact same thing happen, however, mine was 3 days and yes had sex inbetween.  I would go to my doctor immediately.  My doctor explained that you have an infection that must be treated with antibiotics.  In fact, she also told me not to use anything to ****** because this would make the bacteria up into your cervix.  I trust my OB/GYN and I will pay closer attention in the future.

My symptons.....worst smelling discharge ever.  I felt like you could smell it with my clothes on.  I also had lower abdominal pain.  I took Flagyl.

I don't think this is anything to play around with.

Also, don't be embarrassed.  My doc said she sees this about twice a week!!!!

Good luck.
i'm so glad to know i am not the only one who makes such a dum mistake. i never thought u can really forget your tampon.it has never occured to me that there was one left inside although the past a few days i smell awful and had horrible discharges and i was thinking to see a dr finding out what is going on. then tonight i went to have a shower and the string showed up. it was horrifying,scary and extremely shocking. it kind of freaked me out. luckily im still alive and don't seem to have any TSS symptons. however, im still seeing the dr tomorrow for sure.
Ok, I don't feel so stupid and embarrassed anymore. I got my period 10days ago. I forgot to take out the first tampon and continued for the rest of my period with it in while using new ones. By the second day I had a terrible odor, was so self conscience that everyone could smell it. The odor and water/brown discharge continued all this week till on the 10th day I was feeling like I had a bladder or UTI infection because I had to pee about 4 times in 5 min. The only relief from discomfort was to sit on the toilet so there was pressure on my vaginal area. I reached down to see if the area was swollen and was shocked to feel the tampon almost coming out. Like others have said...the most disgusting thing I have smelled and seen. My question is, when the odor started I also woke up with a cold, sore throat and sinus problem. I noticed that others commented about a sinus infection but no tss symptoms. I have not had a fever but have been dragging all week. I got very dizzy for two days but figured I took a cold medicine that didn't agree with me. Now I have the urge to pee and the only relief I get is sitting on the toilet. I am in the midst of changing GYN''s in fact I was suppose to go Friday for a check up...boy would I have been embarrassed when she did her internal...what a way to meet a new doctor!!! I had to cancel it because of work and am not rescheduled till January. Do you think I need to see her or should I just get a urine test done. I know you are not doctors but with the Thanksgiving holiday coming this week I know I won't get an appt.
I honestly don't get how anyone can lose a tampon or forget about one. For me, I am always aware of having one in. Maybe I'm just really small or tight.
ummmm...wow....just found this site and feel like i can breathe!!!  Thank you ladies!  I'm writing this like I would be speaking with a best friend.  Hope it helps......

Mission Remove Funk Stick was successful!  Going to gyno tomorrow just to be safe.  I've had the same symptoms listed....god awful smell, discharge, crazy cramps, back pain, exhausted....just in a "funk".  Cranky and not feeling well x20!!!!  It all makes perfect sense now and am able to connect the dots of my symptoms over the past 2 weeks.  I knew something was wrong but didn't trust my body enough.  Thought it was new diet, stress with job, getting older (31) and feeling like this must be what happens as you get older and haven't had babies.  (My Scrambled Eggs I had called it) HA!  Thought i was infected and that the times of not being "safe" had come back to bite me and I was now "paying for it" and probably suffering from an STD but paralyzed at the idea of going 31 years and being a hornball and not catching anything.  Thought for sure this was my fate after yearly checks and being without anything.  I realize now how consumed with worry I have been about this STD thing.  Was already scheduled for gyno apt to test for infection and today I just didn't feel right.  (I know I probably sound like a whack job right now but it's very true)  I just relaxed (which is hard for me to do) and thought outloud==== if something is wrong or needs to be fixed...I need a sign.  Sure enough about 20 minutes later I felt the urge to fish around (pun intended) and reallized that the inside didn't feel like it normally does.  CRAZY SWOLLEN inside if that makes sense. Just by feel...i obviously couldn't stretch things open to actually be able to see anything but just kinda went poking and grasping and tugging at areas and then all of a sudden I felt the middle part of the tampon because my index finger was inside and like a hook.( I felt like was playing the Helen Keller lottery and then finally won the jackpot. )  Just the way it felt like it would work if something was up there...that would be the only way i could retrieve it.  As rancid as it was...it was a HUGE HUGE HUGE relief that something else was causing the problems I had been having.  I thought I was going crazy the last 2 weeks and being extra whiny about health stuff that i usually wouldnt have paid attention to.  I think when you look for the good in people you find it and when u go searching for a tampon that could be the cause to the gross smell that you have been experiencing you find that too. TRUE!   THINK POSITIVE and go see a doctor regardless.  There is no harm in going.  What's the worst thing that could happen?  You are either going 1) to be super embarassed...(big deal, get over it...they see it way more than you think.) or 2) they tell you you are fine and that xyz is the problem instead.  either way it's dealable.  You can't deal with the unknown and the worrying is TOXIC.  In many ways!  HA!  Go seek a doctor visit.  If you dont have insurance and that is your concern...because of  $$$$$...been in that boat too.  If I were you in this circumstance I would go to ER, tell your symptoms and let them know that you are concerned you might have a tampon inserted and stuck and that you aren't sure if you should even waste the emergency departments time or can they recommend where to go to seek treatment if you dont have a primary doctor.   If you are honest about your symptoms and want to be proactive about the situation that's what i would do. Like I stated pages ago...(ha!  Chatty Kathy here!  )  I have an apt already scheduled because I thought I had some type of infection.   I will re type a BRIEF, I promise, post in regards to the final treatment

P.S.  because I have a zero tolerance for someone thinking their sh*% doesnt stink......

Chic-a-dee in one of the posts that said that she doesn't know how this could happen?  I hope you have to go on a helen keller journey and maybe will have a change in judgemental attitude.  Your vag probably isn't as tight and small as you'd like to think it is.  Be respectful.  
So I just found my tampon...  What ***** is I can't remember when I would of left it there...  My period ended 2 1/2 weeks ago; but I may have used one at the club last week.  Point is I started bleeding during sex...  Totally gross and embarrassing (new boyfriend- he was super sweet about it)...  thinking it was just cause of the rough sex, we waited a week and then did it again.  This time there was a lot of blood and that damn rotten smell.  (which i had started to notice a few days before)  I have an appointment made, but I wanted to research it on my own.  All sorts of problems came back that could possibly cause the bleeding; cancer, STD, infection, then I read "stuck tampon"  I almost died because i knew immediately that had to be it.

My question is has anyone else experienced the bleeding part?  I had the smell, the sickness; but only one person mentioned bleeding.  I was just curious.  I am still seeing the doc next week as scheduled.

Thanks ladies....  I am glad that there are forums like this where you don't have to feel embarrassed about the stupid **** you do or worry about...
The exact thing has just happened to me, the tampon came out today from last wednesday so... 10 days with it in there!
i had just ben feeling dizzy tired shaky and weak. there was no foul odor, im guessing becuase when i put the tampon in i was really light to the point where i think i had finished my period. But im bleeding now that the old tampon is out.
and still feeling a big dizzy. but i dont know if its all in my head since i was reading about tss and getting a lil parionod. Im going to see if my obgyn can see my tomorrow. let me know how your apt goes!

i just discovered i had left a tampon in because it came out. i am on my period and there was an odor that was just nasty. well now i know where it was coming from because when this tampon came out that was the most foul stench. sorry to be so candid but there is no other way to describe it. anyway i have been feeling sluggish all week. i do not know how long the lost tampon has been inside me so am quite concerned. i am calling my gyn. first thing in the am. i have been feeling dizzy, breasts and under arms are swollen and sore beyond belief. a bit of pain in the abdomen. maybe i should call the emergency room........... now i am a bit scared. no fever though. also, just a couple side comments. one, thank you to every lady out there for sharing your experiences it has been a comfort and help to know i'm not the only one with a hectic life that could forget a tampon and two, to the person ( you do not act like a lady) who said she didn't know how this could happen and maybe that was because she was "small and tight" no. 1 i doubt it and no. 2 you need some help in being thoughtful and caring of others. good luck to you if this is your outlook in life.
wow! i just found my tampon about an hour ago! it was the scariest thing in the world for me. now im just scared there is another one up there. Now that ive read all the other posts, i realize i was having some symptoms. I was dizzy, had head aches, and felt very tired. i thought maybe i was pregnant! i still hope to get into my doc tomorrow..... he is booked all week! im still freaking out so i hope im ok!

thank you to everyone! you all calmed me down and realize i need to trust me instincts. i knew something was wrong, after reading all this is when i gathered up the courage to start searching for that damn thing!

i will keep u all posted!
Hey ladies,
I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their horrifc stories of leaving their tampons in.  I have been using tampons since I was 15 years old.  I am now 27 and I have never, one time left a tampon in my vagina.  Until today, which was so crazy and scary.  I did not have any signs or symptoms of anything except for a little foul smell, which only started to smell today.  I took a shower this morning.  I was fine.  No smell no nothing, but later in the day I used the bathroom and my underware smelled kind of bad.  I decided to take a bath and my 4 year old little girl was in there with me. I started to wash really good and all of the sudden I felt something strange down there.  IT WAS A TAMPON STRING! I was horrified and I pulled it out in the tub.  I could not beleive my freaking eyes.  I was worried.  I wasn't sure how long it had been in there.  I called my husband in there and told him about it.  We had just had sex two days earlier and I know it wasn't in there then.  I could not remember putting it in.  The only explaination is that I put it in in the middle of the night and totally for got about it the next day.  It was the light absorbency so it was easy to forget about and not realize it was in there. Of course having three children things aren't the way they used to be.
To the "GIRL" who posted about not seeing how anyone can leave a tampon in, and she must be tight or something.  You will say that until one day it happens to you.  I have been using tampons for over ten years and have never done a thing like this before in my life. How does one forget really?  When your life is filled with chaos, a household of children and a husband.  It's easy to not realize you've left one in.  GOD bless to all of you who have posted and I hope that girl never has to experience such a horric feeling.  You really feel like you've lost your mind.  How could I have done that?
Thank you ladies for talking so openly about this issue. Thanks for having me know this isn't something that just happen to me! I love you guys!

Hope:)
God bless this child, Chenile, for asking this question.

By the way Sam on sex in the City, once had this issue.

I am curled over w/ abdominal pains and am convinced I left a tampon in.  I told myself at the gym that I would leave it in until I stopped by the store on the way home to get a new box, and when I got home it wasn't there.  I figured I must have chose to rolled the dice and decided to go w/out until I got home, but I know that wasn't usually a call I would make. Looked for it a little, but couldnt find it.

Foul odor, came for a couple of days, now gone, but still no tampon.
Im going fishing w/ my hook finger tonight, if not to the clinic tomorrow.

Shout out to stressmess143,

I was thinking the same thing about the comment that u have zero tolerance for, I don't even think granny panties wears tampons.

By the way Sam on Sex in the City, once had this issue, and asked for help from her friends (or could have been a diaphragm but I think tampon b/c who uses diaphrams anymore?)
Hey thanks to everyone on this site. I realized that i had one suck in after my fiance found it and was like... ummmmm u have a tampon in. and that was 3 days after my period had ended. i was mortified. and yea that thing smell like a tuna sandwich left out in the sun all day. barf. so i looked up everything on tss and came across this site and it was a relief. I ended up going to the regular doctor today cuz it was burning a little. and i guess the bacteria gave me a uti so im on antibiotics and not feeling crazy anymore lol. happy fishing ;-)
Wow!  I didn't know this was so common.  I have used tampons almost since I started my period 21 years ago and have never left one in.  And I am knocking on wood that I never ever do.  Luckily for me, I rarely ever have feminine issues (1 yeast infection, 1 bladder infection and hardly ever have menstrual cramps) so if that ever happens to me, hopefully, I will know right away.  I am always paranoid about TSS so I usually will switch to a panty liner as soon as my period lightens up.  Also, I always tuck my string into the fold of my right inner thigh so I can always feel it and it doesn't get lost.  I hope all you ladies are okay and nothing serious comes out of forgetting about your tampon.  

Anyway, good luck and thanks for all the info.  Even those of us who have never done this can use this information.  Knowledge is a good prevention tool.  
During foreplay, my boyfriend found, what we think is a tampon string.  My period ended 6 days ago so it was in there awhile. I hadn't noticed any odor or discharge but I have been feeling feverish and nausea for the last 24 hours or so. I'm extra concerned because 5 days ago I underwent radioactive iodine treatment for a thyroid problem. This means there has been radiation in my body all week (which is nerve-wrecking in and of itself).  Pulling out a horrible, grey colored, tampon string is the last thing I needed this week.I don't even know how a STRING would've gotten left up there. I only use "light flow" small tampons. COULD IT HAVE BEEN SOMETHING ELSE? I did call an OBGYN. She said not to worry b/c even though I felt feverish my temperature didn't exceed 99 degrees. Also, she thinks I'll be alright because I haven't experienced an odor or discharge. Still, I'm horrified that something strange like that has been hanging out in my vagina for a week.
I feel so stupid.  I was having this horrible odor and a black/brownish discharge.  I thought it was because of some medication I was on and when I looked it up it said it can cause that type of discharge.   But the odor was so bad.  It turns out that I left a tampon in since my last period and it came out while I was using the bathroom.  I was so confused thinking could I really have left it in that long???  I had sex and went through another menstrual cycle before I realized it.  Luckily I was already on meds for BV and I think that's the only reason I didn't get sick.
i left my tampon in twice for ten hours and at first i saw some white stuff but now it has stopped but i'm very itchy down there. i don't know if it's irritation or something else??
I have done this quite a few times. I go to one of the best gyno's in the nation. I was informed that TSS is pretty much impossible. The only thing that can occur from a stuck tampon is an infection. If you forgot a tampon was there and had sex or put another in, no need to worry, (i have done this before), just call your obgyn & they will give you an emergency visit. The gyno will take it right out & prescribe you antibiotics to treat the infection. *You must see your dr because you need to get the tampon out so that it doesn't cause further infection, also, you need meds to heal the infection. My dr. said not to try to take it out on your own. It is very difficult to take out b/c it is so far in. Also, my dr. said it is nothing to be embarrased about as his top nurses have done this. It is common believe it or not. Just make certain you get an appt w/your dr. Also, even if you are not sure, go! I was uncertain once and I still went, there was nothing there, however, it is better to be safe than sorry and not constantly worrying and wondering if there is one stuck. Take my advice, go to your dr. Take care.
Ok!  I am an ER nurse and have helped remove these old tampons! I always thought...Geeez! How could you forget a tampon?  Well, at 40 yrs old...I did it!  So there you go!  A huge slap in the face!!!!  i started my period about 7 days ago. About 2 days ago I noticed this horrific smell!  Thought it must be some kind of infection? Today, pulled a tampon out that I had no idea was in there! Not sure how long it was there! Could be as long as 7 days!  I work tonight in the ER. Gonna talk to one of our (preferably women) docs and find out if I need to get some antibiotics!  Geeeez!  Embarrasing!!!!  So no making fun....it can happen to anyone!!!!!!!
Thank you so much to everyone who responded. This has happened to my daughter. she went to the ER they gave her a shot some more antibiotics in a cup and yet more clindamycin, that she should take every six hours for ten days.She was feeling very tired,crampy, sharp pains in her pelvic, cranky  and slight feverish. We did not know what was wrong with her.THANK YOU GUYS SOOOOO MUCH . And to the lady with the so called tight small vagina,(really) I believe that's what you tell your self so you can feel better, its not about the size its about forgetting the tampon,and why are you reading this? if you don't have a positive input? God bless you. Just want to know did any one else need this much medication?
Thank you to everyone for sharing their stories, I am so relieved I found this forum! !! Not feeling quite so embarrassed now.. last week I had my period it was heavy at the start but seemed short, sometimes it is that way! I was with someone I've just recently started seeing, anyway I evidently tucked it up and out of the way in case we became too excitable - we didn't in the end- but having been so tired of recent, a big weekend too, and having done such an efficient job of hiding it I somehow had it in my head later I had removed rather than hidden it and thought no more about it. No suspicion at all that anything was up there.  For 6 1/2 days.  Had sex while it was still in, and was only discovered this Saturday morning, to my horror, by him, during foreplay.  I was firstly shocked and mortified,  straight followed by thoughts of TSS and am worried about it still, but for me perhaps the worst thing about this was the embarrassment!! I felt so stupid and dirty!!! Thought no one else could do this, he was pretty shocked too, I wanted to disappear, was a bit of a turn off!! And the extraction was disgusting.  Anyway I was just going to see how I felt and not go get some antibiotics, but after reading the stories here it sounds as though I should.  Health first, but shame is always hot on the tail, if not a first reaction in my circumstance!  Thanks for helping me keep it in perspective!!   A little bit anyway.
I've been reading all of your posts, as I was having some pretty bad symptoms, and suddenly all my symptoms started making sense... turns out I did have a tampon left inside me!! I've been using tampons about 10 years, so I never thought this would happen to me now! I haven't even got an excuse as to how this happened - I hadn't been drinking or anything! As your stories were helpful and made me feel better about what's just happened, I'll share mine! I had my period nearly 2 weeks ago!! Which is a much longer time than any of you... you're probably wondering why I didn't go see a doctor earlier - but I couldn't get an appointment for a week. And a stupid part of me just hoped it'd go away. So, it started with a watery blood stained discharge, and then it just started getting heavier and heavier, and then a few days after my period ended, I started getting an awful smell down there too. And this past week it became horrific. At first I thought it was BV or something but then I started reading these forums. Anyway, I was so self conscious... I was having to use sanitary pads and change them constantly. I don't know if other people could smell it but I felt so paranoid, I was carrying a bottle of perfume around with me and hoped a cloud of perfume would help. I read some of your tips about trying to get it out yourself, but to be honest, I couldn't feel it, and so that made me unsure as to what was wrong with me. So I had a doctor's appointment today, and it turns out there was one in there. It must've got wedged further up as i put more tampons on top of that. And I even had sex as well. Cringe, poor boyfriend. So at the doc's today, I was both mortified and relieved that it wasn't anything more serious. I guess they see this all the time, but it was still a bit of a cringe moment. Sooo glad it's out now, I feel so relieved. And thank you so much to everyone who has posted all their horrific stories, they were so helpful. And to anyone who thinks this has happened to them, my advice is to go see a doctor asap if you can't find it yourself! Same goes for thinking you have TSS - it's best to be checked out - but if you know you've left a tampon in, your mind can start playing tricks on you and convince you that you're sick when you're not. Anyway, thank you!
yeah, i think mine had been in for a month.  so gross.  hope i dont have an infection.  i have no symptoms, and the tampon is out.  can i use a tampon right after i pulled old one out?  probably should take a "breather".  if i dont have symptoms am i in the clear?
I have no ideal how long mine has been in but i do have a iud also. i looked up last nite a iud falling out and all the sympthoms i have head, craping, smell,etc.. are from a iud falling out so i thought ok cant take this smell that i have had for a week almost and it's getting worse so i pull it out and to my surprise it a tampon! wow is all i said and goggled this website. i have a appt. until feb. 9th it's almost 2 weeks from now! i am very scared now it may have been a month or two i never get my period normal anymore with the iud so im not sure how long it's been there but it is out!
wow! I wish I would have found this msg board about 2 weeks ago! Today my ob gyn found a very old tampon inside of me! yikes! It smelled so bad I thought we were both going to vomit! anywhoo im glad im not the only one who has done this! She didnt give me any kind of meds for infection she just said it should take care of its self since I have a great immune system soo I guess we will see if it falls off! :/
Thank you everyone for posting. I just had a tampon wiggle it's way out when I didn't even know it was there. My period was last week so it's had to have been at least 6 days. I don't have any symptoms but I had to go lie down immediately just because I was so disturbed by the incident (feeling like I'm not being nice to my body/taking good care of it, running the time-line in my mind over and over to try and figure it all out, thinking I'm the only person that has done this). I will go to the doctor because some infections leave no symptoms but  can cause permanent damage. Thanks everyone for being so candid!
Thank goodness for this thread. I am a 41 year old single mom who for the first time ever left a tampon in for 9 days. Since I had my son a little over two years ago, and got on birth control, my periods are almost non-existent. Only a day, two at the most. I am usually most vigilant about making sure that the tampons come out. However, since I have such light periods now and can wear the tampons for upto the 8 hours that the box says is max, I have become less watchful about making sure I am not leaking. I had my period on 02/18/10, ran into 02/19/10 and I was done. My boyfriend came over and when it came time for bed, I thought I had pulled the last tampon out. We have had sex twice, oral one of those times and he never said anything about it feeling weird or anything. I began to notice a strange smell and what felt like leakage about Wednesday this past week. Since I have been having problems with bladder control since the birth of my child, I just thought I needed to increase my kegel's (which the doctor keeps telling me to do but I don't do as many as she said so it's my own fault). Imagine my surprise Sunday night when I got up about 11:30 to go to the bathroom and when I went to wipe, I discovered the tampon. I knew I didn't have any symptoms of TSS, although we had colds earlier in the week this past week and I ended up vomiting later that same night, more from working myself into frantic worry over the whole TSS thing than anything I think. I have no other symptoms and feel fine. After seeing all the posts from many of you saying you have left them in for days without anything bad happening, my mind is relieved quite a bit. I will continue to monitor for the symptoms as many of you recommended and will call my doctor right away if any develop. AND I will be more vigilant in the future for sure. Very scary to realize you have had a tampon in you for a week and a half.
I feel so much better now that I read all your stories. Last night, during sex (after 6 weeks of non), my boyfriend wanted to give oral as he always does which is strange because I always thought men hated giving it, but anyway and back to the subject.  He was down there a long while before he began to penetrate and when he did, he pulled out right away.  I noticed that he went down again but this time it was more like he was inspecting me and it made me feel uncomfortable.  I asked him what was wrong and he said he thought he felt something inside that shouldn't be there.  He dug for it and when he felt it with his finger tips, he was sure there was something inside me.  I CAN'T seem to remember when I put that tampon in and I just started my period two days ago so I am almost sure taht it is at least from my previous period (i hope not longer). I didn't notice any bad vaginal smell during the time between then and now but I do remember having weird discharge every time I tried to get up or sneeze or cough.  And between my previous and current period I would notice pinkish color when I would wipe myself after taking a tinke.  He asked me if I wanted him to help me get it out but him digging for it the first time made a horrific smell come out of my vagina that I couldn't imagine how much worse it could get being out and how embarrased I would feel that he had to go through that. I was kind of nervous when trying to remove it thinking I would probably push it inthere some more and I would have hated to have to go to the ER for that.  I tried while laying in bed and relaxing my body but that was not helping at all so I stood up, squated down and pushed as if I was delivering a baby while my index and middle finger inserted. I pushed three or four times before I was able to grasp it with my two fingers cuz it slipped away a couple of times before I was successful. I don't mean to get so descreptive about the oral but my point is, I am SO EMBARRASED with him that I couldn't even go back to bed with him last night.  I slept on my couch and didn't get ANY sleep just thinking about the incident.  What if he's grossed out with me and never wants to touch me again and thinks I am disgusting.  It would be okay if he left me but if he stayed with me and had sex with me again just trying to please me but againt his will would be the worst thing.  I want him to enjoy himself and I am worried he will never again enjoy making love to me and even if he did, I don't think I will get over this. I feel disgusting infront of him. Maybe things would be different if I would have been the one to find it but he did and he mentioned the bad oder coming from my vagina when he HAD NEVER complained about a smell.  Oral has always been his favorite thing to do during foreplay so now I feel like I have ruined his enjoyment for this sexual act no matter who he ends up or is with.  Please, someone give me some words of hope telling me I WILL get over this traumatic event!!!
Hi. This is kind of a weird story but i want to share. My period ended on 3/7/10 and i was a happy camper. On 3/11/10 i started having constant discharges. I kept thinking that my period was back, but every time i checked it was clear. hmmm....
That lasted for a week and then i started having an odor. I don't like 2 describe these kind of things but it was strong and it had a pale orangey color to it. I was on a camping trip and yesterday, 3/29/10, took a shower. When i washed more carefully, i discovered something. It turned out that it was the string from the tampon i forgot in there. I took it out. Now i have my M.Cycle so i can't really tell if the discharge stopped or keeps going. My mom kept thinking i got an infection because i always run outside on cold floor with bare feet. She wants 2 take me 2 a gynecologist, but i don't want to. I don't feel comfotable with anybody touching me, but me or my BF. I also didn't tell her about the 4gotten tampon. Do you think i've gone too long with the tampon inside me?
I'm very glad I found this site as I've had the same problem as all of you ladies. It all started in october last year, my period was coming to an end but I noticed a horrible odour that I'd never had before, plus a watery brown discharge. I assumed it was BV, even though I'd never had it before, my sisters have and told me it caused a strong odour. So I brought a treatment for BV at the chemists which was a gel you had to insert but after 5 days the smell was getting even worse. As you can imagine, I was sooo emberassed and depressed as I pride myself on having good personal hygenine. It was worse as well because I have a boyfriend and felt so emberassed to have him anywhere near me, as I didn't want to explain to him what the problem was. I knew something was wrong though, every woman knows her body and knows when something isn't right with it. I went to see my nurse the following week and she pulled out the disgusting tampon which was green and had the most awful smell I have ever smelt. I'm not sure how long the tampon was in there, could have been a week and a half, maybe at the beginning of my period. I had sex with my boyfriend the week before and I noticed that it was quite uncomfortable and so that explains it.The doctor was able to give me some antibiotics to get rid of the infection. The only thing is, things haven't been quite the same with me down below since October. I've had almost continous bouts of a fishy odour-though nowhere near like the tampon smell but unsettling still, periods of thrush and just an general uncomfortable feeling. I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced any long term problems since having their tampon removed? Its quite depressing because I'd never had any female issues before but I seem to be besieged with them all now. I've gone back to the doctors for more examinations, they always say its a minor infection, give me more antibiotics which clears up the problem for a few days but in no time at all, all the problems are back.It'd be nice to know how other people are coping after their close shave with their forgotten tampons. I'm only 23 and really don't want to have to deal with this for the rest of my life.
I would suggest trying a new OB/GYN. If yours keeps telling you that it is a minor infection but the infection keeps coming back, it's time for a second, maybe even a third opinion. Explain the problem to the new doctor, just like you did here. You are too young to be plagued with endless infections and troubles.

Good Luck!
About a week ago I thought I might have left a tampon in. It was toward the end of my period and I stopped bleeding so I it is hard to tell if I have 1 in there are not. I haven't had sex or inserted another tampon. I have been keeping my eye out for smells, pain, discharge but I haven't had any of those symtoms (symptoms). But I have a do feel warm and like I have a flu and very bad bad craps. Only thing is for 3 weeks I been having  a flare up of my ulcerative colitis which causes these symtoms (symptoms) but yesterday it got really bad. I usually bleed rectually when I have a bad flare up but I have alot of diarria but no blood. I'm am crapping very bad constantly. I am currently in extreme amout of pain. I can't fiqure out if it is my colitis or am I feeling the symtoms (symptoms) of a old nasty tampon rotten in me!!!
Oh WOW! I finished my period a week ago and have gone 30 long years with out ever smelling an odor so bad.  You can kinder it to the smell of rotten meat or worse. My husband and I had a miscarriage a month ago so when i had my period again everything was back to normal. Until about 5 days ago I noticed a terrible odor like no other before.  I thought the OBGYN had not taken out all of the placenta or something.  My husband said that he felt a "rough" spot when he was using his fingers during foreplay.  I set up an appointment again with OBGYN.  Then in the shower this morning he said he felt it again and I just had to check it out.  THERE IT WAS! Far in there! I always use light tampons and somehow i must have forgotten i had it in and had sex with it in. There inlays the problem.  I still will see dr. but am so relieved to know I am not rotting from the inside. No TSS symptoms, smell is gone and Thank God for this blog.  Don't think it can't happen to you.   NICKNAME 5475, Your boyfriend is going to love your vag. just as much as before.  You have to be confident then he will go back to normal.  Once you get the tampon out that is usually the end of your problem.  Guys are stinky creatures as it is and want to get back to, business as usual, as much as you do.  NO WORRIES BABE!
My period started on April 30 and on May 2nd it stopped for a couple of days and then resumed around the 4th for a day or two. My period stops sometimes like that in the middle but can resume at any time so I usually use a tampon anyway just in case so there are no accidents. I woke up one morning and felt for the tampon and there was no string. I thought for sure that I had put one in, but figured I must not have after all. So I let it go. During the time that my period was off and after my period my husband and I had sex twice. After the second time he told me that it felt like he was hitting something. It actually sort of injured him he had some pain for a couple of days. I told him I didn't know what it could be, and felt around inside myself laying down on the bed but didn't feel anything. I decided he was just having an issue and let it go. But I had this sneaking suspicion about the morning that I couldn't find the tampon string. It bothered me for days but I had checked and felt nothing so I kept putting it to the back of my mind. Finally, today I was sitting at my computer and could smell the odor really bad and I knew I had to check again. So I went into the bathroom and sat on the toilet and kept pushing further and further back. I felt something, but it kind of felt like it could be skin...its really hard to tell what you're feeling since you can't really see. After a few minutes I realized that I could only feel the touch with my fingers so it couldn't possibly be part of my body. I examined a little harder and realized it was the tampon. It had somehow survived the use of other tampons, sex, and whatever else nestled up there. It took a lot of effort but I managed to remove it. It was not easy. I agree with those of you that posted the smell was horrific. I am a little worried about my health over the next couple of days. I know I have an infection because the odor is so god awful and I CANNOT get the smell off of my hand! I have some Cipro left over from a UTI from a few months ago so I went ahead and took it now. It is too late to go to the doctor today, I will call them tomorrow and see what else they can prescribe. I have never dealt with something so disgusting. I have been an avid tampon user for 14 years and never would've thought that you could lose a tampon inside yourself that way.I feel better knowing so many other people have done this too...I felt really gross and embarassed before finding this site. I feel so yuck!! Pray for me that everything is ok...
Ladies, you are ALL amazing!!!   I have never felt so disgusted or ashamed of myself as I did prior to reading every post on this forum...For about 1 1/2 weeks now I have had this dark foul discharge that I was CERTAIN was coming from my urethra...I was having minor intermittent aches in my lower back region and when I coughed or sneezed, my ovaries would sort of give me a twinge...I went to the DR on Monday because I couldn't deal with it anymore..I had to wear a pad because the smell was SO foul and I was certain EVERYONE could smell me...Well, she did an exam, even took a swab and cultures and everything (Not a thorough exam but still how does a Dr not catch this??))!!! NOTHING as of last night, cultures negative, urinalysis negative...So when the nurse called, she said so all the tests are negative ok??  And I said, well NO the symptoms are still there! In fact, they are worse today...So they schedule me for an ultrasound but I can't get in until Tues after the holiday...Well, then tonight after feeling REALLY uncomfortable all day...I felt like I was all swollen down there but the smell was so bad I didn't want to go fishing...GOOD thing I did!!!  There was the culprit!  I have NO idea how long it was up there, I know it has to be at least 3, yes 3 weeks!!!  I have had sex and everything just like all of you...KUDOS to all of you for sharing...And THANK GOD!!  I was going to go to the ER before I found the dang thing...I couldn't imagine going the weekend like this!!!  But, what do you all think about my Dr??   If this is so common, how did she miss it??  
These post really helped me, okay well I had left my tampon in for like 2 days! Had sex and everything, I even put in other tampons, and last night and earlier today I smelt horrible! Like I can't even describe it! Anyway I had took a shower earlier and the smell was still there,  so when I got out I laid down and started feeling down there, and BAM! I found the lil *******! Well I ran right back in the shower! Anyway, what I wanna ask, the smell I can swear I still smell it! Will it go away, I mean I washed and washed like I was putting my down stairs up on auction!
I just found out LAST NIGHT, that I had a TAMPON STUCK!!! I had it in there for about a week. I completely forgot. I was so embarrassed because I was having sex and my Husband kept telling me, "something feels different" I was very disturb when he told me that only because like any women... what the hell do you mean it feels different!!?? LOL Anyways, I checked myself and there was something in there. As soon as I got the lil sucker,I realized why I was starting to smell weird stuff... but I do not know if it comes off or not. I hope it does. I the smell was so awful that I was using Eve! Today, I feel better and i don't smell much of that horrible odor but I can smell it just a little. Any one knows if the odor stays with you or is there something to clear that up with?
recently 30 and having had my period for almost 2 decades! i have been so tired lately and my body has ached so bad i couldnt even move for the past 3 days. didnt even have the energy to take a shower.... thank god for once in our lives me and my man were fighting so we havent been having sex. i just got off my period a few days ago and never realized i left the last tampon in. my just in case my period decides to come back tampon..... i cant believe i forgot about it... i guess old age is sinking in or im just so busy with kids and life i just didnt remember. anyways how emabarrassing it is. i didnt even tell anyone when i found it this morning. im like well thats just nasty but at least it wasnt to far up and i found it. it sure explained why i had to pee every 3 seconds even though i didnt have anything to drink. my back hasnt hurt today and i havent been in the bathroom thinking i was going to pee myself all day long. glad to know im not the only girl in the world who has done this and ..... we're not fighting anymore so hopefully i can ..well you know.....lol good luck to all the girls out there who have been blessed with mother nature!
I had a hysterctomy last april and since then I have been having alot of problems.. a bad smell and horrific discharge, cramping ... I have seen 6 drs and recently a 7th who found ..wait for it.. yes a tampon in me.. it would have had to be there for over a year!!!!! no joke.. I have had exrays and people in me from every angle for over a year and alwasy the same thing, drs saying its just an infection get over it, giving me meds that dont wrk and wouldnt work becasue the WHOLE time I had a freaking tampon in there and no one saw it... I was amazed , releived and pissed at the same time.. so much crap to go thru and so many drs and no one saw it.. I only had a partial hysterectomy and still have my cervix so there is really no excuse for them to have missed that, I mean seriously.  But it it out and finally came out two days ago. Since then the first day i was sore but felt so much better but today I am weak and dizzy and feel stiff and sore everywhwere.. I have had a cold for a couple weeks, my two year old and I keep passing it back and forth lol so I dont know if those symptoms count, but I am wondering if TSS can happen after a long time, I mean its been in for a year and nothing serious just pain and smell but now all of a sudden I feel so weird..

Anyways just curious if any one knows anything about this... I have been thru so much already I just want this to be over.

thx
I am 36 and have been using tampons for over 20 years now, I never liked pads and would never go back.  However, I just recently forgot about a tampon sometime during my last cycle and that was 2 weeks ago.  My husband and I have had sex probably 4-5 times since, and the last time he finally had the courage to tell me something did not feel or smell right the last few times.  So we were both very worried something was wrong, but neither of us considered it was a tampon until after peeing later that day I saw what looked like a piece of tampon string.  If it wasn't for him telling me his concerns, I would have blown it off as just toilet paper.  I told him what I saw and he dug in and found it.  It was really gross, and I was so shocked that after 20 years I forgot about a tampon.  During those 2 weeks, I had what appeared to be a bladder infection, but I had leftover antibiotics that cleared that up.  I also have had an off and on sinus infection that must have prevented me from smelling this horrible odor coming from the tampon.  
After a couple of days, everything seems to be normal; and I do not have any fears of TSS, but the thought of using tampons again scares me, and my husband says he is going to check me after every cycle.
Even so, now I am considering a natural alternate.  Just a month ago (before this incident), my sister (a naturalist/vegetarian/environmentalist living in Bend, Oregon) told me that she no longer uses tampons and has been using 'The Keeper' for the last few years.  I was somewhat intrigued by the idea, but I did not seriously consider it until now.  Has anyone in this forum tried a natural alternative like 'The Keeper'?

thx
I am so glad I found this forum. For about a week and a half I had this brownish discharge and after a while I had this terrible foul odor. I thought I had an infection or a reaction to a new med I was on for my thyroid. The smell got worse and I was getting so scared. I made an appt with my gyno that day. His earliest appt is for next week. The next day I was on the toilet and bam! A tampon came out! It was in there for about 2 weeks. Now I am worried I have TSS. MY appt is not until Wed. I am having a little abdominal pain but no fever, chills or anything. I had a headache today but it was b/c I did not eat. Also I went to my reg. doctor last week and my blood pressure was a little low. I am going to call the gyn office tomorrow and see if I can see someone else. My gyn is not in till Tuesday. It is only Sat! I had some left over antibiotics which I started taking to be safe! I am never using tampons again! I cannot believe I did that!!!
im 15 and today i used a tampon for the first time. i went to a water park rode a lot of wegie giving rides. and now i cant find my tampon!!! im freaking out sooo much please someone help
Absolutely mortified :-o Been docs on wed after having symptoms like others on here - watery discharge with a strong odour and brown stain - very nasty.  When i researched on the internet it said it could be BV (bacteria vaginosis) which is when all the good bacteria is washed away, very common and can be caused by a change in shower gel.  Funnily enough I had recently changed it....so off i popped to the docs and got asked the routine questions, what are the symptoms? could u of left a tampon in? LEFT A TAMPON IN?? nahhh dont think so! So popped on the bed had a swab taken, and results came back to today as abnormal and it being BV! Happy days I thought - pick up anti biotics tomorrow.

However, symptoms were noticably worse today and really paranoid at work that I smelt as I kept getting wiffs.  (so embarassing and cringe worthy) Kept going toilet and wiping and my vagina felt as if it was getting swollen.  When I came home from work I ran upstairs and checked in the mirror and saw a white thing - at forst I thought it was a clump of tissue frm where ive been wipingbut when i went to remove it pulled out a tampon!!!!!!!! It has been in there for approx 2 1/2 - 3 weeks! My body must have forced it out.  It could of be in there longer if I have inserted others after this, and had sex with it in (however not had sex for 2 weeks as symptoms started)

I have rang NHS Direct to check that I am not going to drop dead and see if the antibios ill be getting tomoz will clear up any harm caused by the tampon.  They were unable to advise on this as I could not gove them the name of anti bio's and recommended I phone myout of hrs GP service, alternatively gave me an address of a drop in centre close to my works! He also gave me advice on TSS and checked I wasnt experiencing any symptoms (very helpful and understanding and even rang me back to make sure i was okay!)

I am having a very slight achy 'period pain' feeling since removing tampon so hope its just my bodys way of reacting after having something aien inside me for so long.  Dont think i'll be wearing tampons again, even though im 26 and have used them the last 12 years!

ps can i just ask out of curiosity - has anyone put in a tampon and when pulled it out the string is the other way around?? It happens to me at least once every period and I am 90% certain the string is the correct way in the tube when i insert it. ???? Can it turn around inside you???
How do you know if there is a tampon stuck inside? I can't remember if I put a new tampon in the last time I went to the bathroom. I felt inside of me last night (even had my husband feel around) and neither one of us could feel it, but I am pretty sure I put a new tampon in. I am at the end of my period so there wasn't a lot going on. I am just wondering how far back the tampons go and if it will slowly make it's way back down. Thanks!
Jeeeez Looouuuiiissseeeee!!!!! We are all in the same boat on this one!! lol After a night out with the man we decided to do the dirty dirty...and THIS woman forgot all about having a tampon in until the next morning. Took me 2 days to figure out: YES THERES ONE IN THERE. Biggest thing to look for is watery blood onto your underpants. Almost that feeling of discomfort when you need to change a tampon(if your not sure) DONT wear a tampon, always a pad until your positive your okay.  Soooo the man came home from work after i called him in a freak out slapping myself in the head situation and he got that filthy, rotten bad larry right out the Gine. SO if your boys/husbands w/e are there for you even to listen to your particular problem,  and don't get sick on the spot, you got a good guy. After all that i still need to consult with a DR..and to the girl who went camping and left it in for almost a month...I'm praying you saw your PCP or GYNO...Hey we all make mistakes--Thanks for listening all...Best of luck!
Why are you all so damn selfish? I promise no one cares about your own stupid story! Because, it's always  just the same as someone elses. Some people want answers for there problems; not just some other person being really annoying and complaining about their lame expirience sticking two tampons up their vagina! Honestly people, we read these forums for info, not sob stories about how their problem is worst than the next womans. So just stop all of this unless you have important information that hasn't already been postet FIFTY TIMES! And how do you possible loose a tampon anyways... Wouldn't that be super hard to do?
I found this info really helpful, good luck!

http://www.docgurley.com/2008/10/24/the-premiere-of-the-lost-tampon-video/
I think length wise your vagina can fit about 2 and a half tampons. But since most used tampons are wet it can easily chance shape.  If you used a new one over the old one the new one would push the blood out of the old one and soak up that, while the old one would be cramped into a smaller ball or thinner sheet. If it becomes a thin sheet and it deep inside you, it would be hard to take it out, best way to find out is to use your fingers and try to feel around. If you feel something rough then it might be something. There was a story in a book ("I hope they serve beer in hell") i got that was talking about how a guy felt his penis was rubbing on something when he was doing a girl, after a while the tip of his penis began to hurt. When he pull out to look at it, it looked like a layer of skin was scrapped off. The girl then ran to the bathroom and after a few mins found out that the problem was a lost tampon.
Thank You, Thank You ladies i thought i was loosing my mind.......

I just found my tampoon!! I could not figure out what was that horrible smell..omg it was horrible....After having sex with my husband my fludis smelled like something crawled up in their and died....I was so embarresed.... :( I just got my period again so that means it was in me all that time....and i have a cold and sinus infection i am so happy i found this site i've been moody and crabby.... I just placed a towel on my bed laid on it opened wide and felt around with my finger....it was gross and smelled awful it felt as it was laying on the back of my cervix sqwashed.
I went to the OB/GYN on Friday, October 1st and explained to my doctor that I was experiencing a foul odor coming from my vagina.  The odor had been present for about two weeks.  As she was conducting the pap smear she said, "I think I found what is causing the odor" and she pulled out a bloodied, gross, rotten-smelling tampon!  I was super embarrassed because this has never happened to me before.  She prescribed antibiotics for me and told me to stay away from alcohol and sex.  Now, I'm sitting here feeling sick to my stomach and having flu-like symptoms.  My muscles ache all over and I am having chills, runny nose, and I feel very weak.   The doctor's office is closed for the day, but I plan on calling them early tomorrow morning to find out what I should do. Either I caught a virus, I'm having a reaction to the antibiotics, or I'm experiencing symptoms of TSS or some other infection because of the stuck tampon.  Uggh!  This *****!  
I have been having smelly odours coming from my vagina ... on 2 occasions i have noticed this ?? last week i was diagnosed with a water infection and just yesterday i went to my local GP and asked them to do swobs as i was worried about having and STD .. she did swobs and said yes i smell wat your talking about , yes its pretty vile !! .. i HAVENT had any symptons at all just this smell while having sex ... Today now i went to wee and out popped an old tampon , im assuming its been there roughly 3 weeks .. (shocked the nurse didnt notice it mind while examining me)  Anyways i have not had any symptons at all i have been feeling very fit and well , so im wondering if maybe my body have fought off any infections such as TSS and i have noticed alot have been sick / fever but im as fit as a fiddle !!!

ADVICE ANY1 ??
Hi, I need some advice. Is it possible to just have the tampon fall out when you're going to the bathroom possibly? I don't remember taking it out at all a couple days ago so I have searched for it very deeply and cannot find anything.  My fiance and I have had sex and he said he felt nothing weird.  For the last couple days I've had some cramps and still bleeding mildly.  No odor or anything so far.  Should I just go to the dr. or not worry about it unless something comes up? I'm kind of freaking out. Advice would be amazing!
I got back from the Sexual Health clinic today having gone in because I was worried about a horrible discharge and they discovered a tampon. It must have been there for at least 7 days, however I actually feel fine. Nurses removed it and doctor gave me a large dose of antibiotics just incase of infection. Thing is I had no idea at all, hadn't felt uncomfortable at all.

I would advise anyone who is concerned to go to a doctors or a walk in clinic ASAP just to double check. According to the nurses it is actually really common as well.
I have cracked up at some of these stories.  It is truly relieving to know I'm not the only one!  I cannot even blame it on alcohol but more likely CMS (Cannot Remember Sh*t).  I'm 47.  I google EVERYTHING.  I googled "black vaginal bleeding between periods" and came up with a lot of information on perimenopause.  So, I chalked up the mid cycle, black bleeding to perimenopause (hormonal) issues. I go shopping with a friend last weekend.  She kept mentioning a foul smell.  While I realized I was spotting "black" and my underwear smelled, I didn't put two and two together.  Understand, I broke my nose when I was 19 and have a partially deviated septum so I do not have a strong sense of smell.  I didn't think the odor was coming from me because I had showered just two hours before picking up my friend for shopping.  We finish shopping and I go home.  I went to pee, wiped and felt something "lump" bulging from my vagina.  Because I had "large babies" 18 and 21 years ago, I thought my innerds were falling out.  Initially, I was quite alarmed.  I reached "down there" and found the old tampon that had apparently worked its way out.  Even with my very dulled smelling senses, it REAKED.  I didn't think much more of it but had a little red spotting so called my doctor.  She saw me today (Monday...two days after finding the wayward tampon).  She did a culture and I should have the results in a couple days.  Meanwhile, she prescribed a cream antibiotic to be inserted once a night for the next five nights.  I think it is probably better to be on the safe side and go ahead and see your doctor if this happens to you.  I'm past the baby rearing age but would rather not risk a serious infection.  I've read so many of these posts and have cracked up.  I have shared my story with a limited few friends.  It's too funny not to laugh at.
hi im only 13 years old and i dont have my period yet. but i think i have had PMS im not really sure, i think ive had discharge(well looks like it anyway.) so i put in a tampon just in case i got my period and when i took it out it looked all brownish and disgusting. so i waited a lil longer to see if i could feel my period coming but i couldnt feel anything...... so now im wearing a pad. any advice?
I have found reading all of these stories very helpful. This has just happened to me as well and I'm relieved that as I was reading each of these experiences all of my symptoms were making sense. Most of them I didn't even realize were related. I have googled the heck out of this and this is by far the most informative thread I have found. Thank you everyone for sharing your stories! I'd like to share mine too as there are a few things that weren't common, maybe it'll help someone else.
My mother had told me once that she had forgotten a tampon and had to go to the doctor to have it removed. She hadn't given me any details so I assumed she meant she put one in, forgot, then immediately inserted another, felt discomfort and ran off to the doctor. After my experience I gave her a call, found out it was in there for about two weeks, and it happened to her twice!
Even though I didn't actually understand her story until now it still made me paranoid about inserting two tampons at once and I have been diligent for the 25+ years of tampon use to make sure I remove every single tampon within the 8 hour window. I also knew someone in high school who got TSS so that secured my diligence.
My forgotten tampon was inserted at minimum 4.5 weeks ago.
About three weeks ago I noticed my odor was unpleasant. I had recently been diagnosed with several nutritional deficiencies and was on a whole host of new vitamins so I didn't really question the change too much. I noticed some watery leakage. Since I have battled minor incontinence my whole life I didn't really question it beyond the fact it was more frequent than I am used to. Since bladder leaks smell awful (your underwear can seem to smell as rancid as an outhouse if you don't have a liner or can't change right away) I wasn't too worried about the intensity of the odor, the change in odor I had attributed to the vitamins. Thank you so much to the lady who mentioned that she also thought the watery discharge was a bladder issue, I was really embarrassed that I had made that mistake!! (lovemylildarlin)
I was surprised to hear how many people also had sore throats and infections! Although my sore throat was not quite the same as most of you mentioned, I now think it may have been related. I have never experienced anything like it! It started about the same time as the odor, about three weeks ago. A couple of places on my gums hurt, like I had something stuck in them. Then about two weeks ago I woke with canker sores in those spots on my gums and a few inside my cheeks and my lymph nodes were HUGE! Over the next couple of days I kept getting more sores on my cheeks, tongue and gums. Since a family member had tested positive for a strep infection in her throat the week before which included severely swollen lymph glands we were all (including my doctor) convinced it was strep. When the strep test came back negative he just said to wait and if it didn't clear up to come back. It did clear up in just under a week so I didn't worry about it anymore.
My periods are not perfectly regular due to a medication I took many years ago. (It contained hormones - which I was not informed of until I stopped taking it 4 years later and my periods came back). The timing and the flow are still not consistent so when I began spotting a watery dark brown a week ago it was not unlike the beginning of many other periods. However the spotting lasted a week, which is unusual for me. Then my real period started a few days ago.
The stench was unimaginable. I have had the unfortunate experience to have smelled a decaying animal in my past and this odor was very comparable! For the past few days I have been certain that I am emitting a horrible odor that everyone around me must smell because I can smell it almost constantly! My spouse won't use the washroom after me because it's intolerable! Though she has been very kind, helpful and supportive and hasn't actually said so, I've noticed her sneaking in before me. She just has a bad gag reflex. (not a typo, I am in a same-sex relationship)
So of course I googled it. I was very surprised when page after page mentioned forgotten tampons. I couldn't even begin to believe I could have forgotten to remove a tampon!! But something about it made sense. Maybe I was just hopeful that's what it was because the alternatives were worse?
I vowed to make a doctors appointment as soon as my period was done.
I also had experienced some dizzy spells over the past week so when I read that in your stories I was surprised at that similarity too!
So, today I went to change my tampon but decided to shower before putting in a new one. I forgot to put in the new one and I laid down for a nap (I am a student and work two part time jobs so I nap every chance I get! lol). When I woke up I realized I had forgotten and rushed to the washroom worried about the possible mess. When I got there I was surprised to discover something slightly protruding from my vagina. Sorry for the descriptiveness but it was extremely slimy and difficult to grip, even though it was already sticking out a little. I don't know how you ladies who reached in and pulled it out did it!! It took a few attempts but I got it out. I examined it. I was very surprised to discover the string was on the other end, which has never happened to me before, so it somehow went up there and got turned around. The color was very very dark, like a purple-black with a grayish quality to it. It looked kind of mushy and there is no way I could begin to describe the odor!!! It's been a few hours now and the scent is still stuck in my nose and no amount of washing has gotten it completely off my hand!! It was also followed by numerous clots.
I almost immediately felt a relief in my abdominal area. Like a pressure has been relieved. Even though I wasn't aware of the pressure in the first place. I don't really know how to qualify this statement with an explanation but my body feels "happy", kind of like when you're wearing super tight pants (anyone else remember the 80's jeans we had to lay down to zip up??) and then you take them off at the end of the day, the relieve and comfort that washes over you, it's kind of like that.
Thanks again to everyone who posted. I know my post was lengthy, hope it helps someone else like all of the others helped me! :D
I've never left a tampon in and used a second one with it by accident, but I did leave a tampon in for 10 hours. I'm the type to worry over everything, so I'm freaking myself out about it. I'm actually on antibiotics for a sinus infection, so I figure that TSS isn't likely to occur if only because the bacteria isn't likely to have built up in my system enough to cause it, but I'm freaked out about it nonetheless. I feel nauseous (it's only been a few hours since I removed the tampon), but I was hungry and haven't eaten in about 5 hours, and I think I'm also literally worrying myself sick. I've read some of your posts and just pray that I don't have TSS, but it seems the best thing to do is watch for the symptoms. If they present, go to the doctor or ER, right? Being on a penicillin antibiotic, don't you think I would be even LESS likely to develop it, or am I just deluding myself?
Thanks so much for all of these posts, ladies -- I just turned 50 and should be DONE with all this by now, shouldn't I??  I've been using tampons since before some of these posters were born! But I couldn't go quietly into menopause without my own story of a lost tampon.  I'm so glad everyone described their experiences -- I had the exact same symptoms!!  The odor was embarrassing, and I had watery, strange, discolored discharge.  I had fished around earlier in the week, and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary, but I knew the smell wasn't normal.  My boyfriend told me he had noticed it, but because he's a kind man, he had not mentioned it.  So last night, I went fishing again (just on the potty -- but I bore down, like was recommended) and then realized a "light days" tampon was stuck, string backwards.  Managed to pull it out with my finger and nearly vomited from the smell.  Really terrible.  It was in something like 4 - 5 days -- maybe more?  I have rarely used light days tampons, and I'll never use one again!  I called my OB/GYN, and she told me that once the tampon is out, and if I don't have any signs of infection (fever, cramping, etc.) my vay-jay would take care of itself.  No douching or antibiotics necessary.  I did take a nice, hot bubble bath.  She said that would be fine, too.  I'm so grateful for all of the informative posts, ladies!!  I feel MUCH better knowing that this is not an uncommon occurrence.  Fortunately, I won't have too much longer to worry about this problem!    
I have left my tampax in for 14 hour, and feel really faint and poorly, I've taken it out now and it wasn't a high absorbent one. Do u think I should wait to see if my symptoms worsen, could just me feeling poorly.
thank you ladies for all the info. i have just had a tampon find it way out after +3 weeks,after sex and was shocked that this could have happened. am def booking the gyn 2 moro.
I just got out of surgery for a vaginal hysterrctomy... the doc asked me if I'd put a tampon in prior to surgery. I said no. She said she had done a visual check, manual check, flushed the vagina with antibacterial fluid, had the assistant doctor check and STILL as they were removing the uterus, "something" pulled out with it. Upon inspection she saw it was an old tampon. She said prayers of thanks during the surgery, because 4 different methods had failed to find anything in my vagina. She sad, if the tampon had inadvertently been pushed into my abdomen, I could have died from infection, because the mass would not have shown on xrays or scans.  Apparently I had thought it had come out with a huge clot (one of the reasons for the hysterectomy) but had become lodged behind my cervix.  Scary. I noticed a slightly foul smell during sex with my husband two days before surgery. God knows how long it was in there. NOTE: You should be checked by a doc if this happens. Mine said that thankfully I was on antibiotics for Cystitis prior to my surgery and a strong antibiotic during surgery. I am still to watch for signs of infection.  Very serious, ladies!!!
Thank God for you ladies.  I have been having the same problem.  About four weeks ago, I thought that I had a lost tampon, so I went to the emergency room.  The stupid doctor didnt find the tampon, but he managed to snatch my IUD out. I went on with my life, me and my husband have been having sex, and I even had some bleeding.  I dont have a smell, but sex has been quite uncomfortable.  I went to see my obgyn, but I saw a mid-wife instead.  She said nothing is there, but I disagreed.  So she sent me for an ultrasound. She is going to check me again this week, even though she says she doesnt think there is anything there.  My body says there is something wrong. I feel tight down there, almost like I am clogged. I'm scared, can anyone help?
This just happened to me, however I think i caught it quickly (and totally by accident!) I had put one in at 10:00 pm and at 12:30 am I went to go  change it, when i pulled it out, to my suprise TWO tampons came out. Somehow they must have lodged side by side. How i didnt feel it, i don't know?! The reason I dont think it was an old one was because the strings must have been beside each other, seeing as they both came out at one and i had hold of both of them by the string, and neither of them were heavily filled or stinky or anything. phew. but now im freaking out wondering if theres anything else in there, which im sure is just me being paranoid  now. HOW DID I DO THAT? i cant even remember doing it. Although, when I put the one in at 10:00, I couldnt remember taking the old one out. I think I had actually wrapped up my old pad and thought i had taken the tampon out GEEZ.. everyone think im ok? lol
Ladies. I love you. Just had the same thing happen. I noticed a foul smell today. Something serious. I even pointed it out to my fiance. He to, wowed by the stench. Later went to take a bath. All is fine. Get out and notice, man, my gina still smells. What gives. I do some poking around up there to see if all feels right. And to my horror, there it was. A freakin tampon. Bahhhhh!!!!
No symptoms, just a minor panic attack. Fingers crossed all clears itself out. Might have to chug some cranberry juice. I know it help a uti, maybe it could also help fight off the . . .ickies.
Best of luck to all who have been and or will be in my shoes.
I'm scared. I don't remember pulling out my tampon from four days ago but you kind of just assume that you did, ya know? Anyway when I went to the bathroom and was wiping myself a tampon string fell out. I'm still on my period (normally lasts approx 7 days) but my fiancee doesn't mind sex while I'm bleeding. We did have sex and nothing felt wrong. But the next day when I tried to put a tampon in it wouldn't go all the way in. Now I'm freaking because I don't know if it's just my paranoia over the string keeping me from putting another one in or if there is a tampon in there that is finding its way back down. My fiancee is larger than average so I'm worried that he pushed it farther up in me and if it's stuck up there with no string, how do I get it out?!? I also started a new job and my insurance doesn't kick in for another two and a half months. I don't want to wait until then to get checked out. Is there a way to get it out without seeing a doc? I'm not smelling anything bad down there but there is a brownish discharge when I wipe.
thank god i found this website. ive noticed this fowl smell for the past week and have showered at least 3 times a day to get rid of it but i couldn't. went to the docs this morning and i had a tampon stuck in there for 11 days. ive had sex since then so it had been pushed pretty far up so i had no idea it was in there!
Wow guys, this was really helpful. I've just done the same thing. DUH! I thought something was dying inside my vagina from the smell, and had the discharge and abdominal pain.

I found this really awesome video about what to do if you think you've lost one. It kind of makes light of the situation!

http://womenshealthnews.wordpress.com/2008/10/27/the-awesome-lost-tampon-instructional-video-from-doc-gurley/
If you've bothered to scroll down and read all these posts, then I guess I'm not the only one. :P Just found a mystery tampon emerge from my vagina today when my period was about three weeks ago. I see most of my questions were answered in the past 6 years of posts (haha) but I have one thing to add:

Today I was sneezing a bunch and felt leakage every time it happened. I'm pretty sure it was pee but there was no blood or symptoms really present until the tampon was actually pulled out...and surprisingly it didn't smell that horrible! As well I've had sex in the past few weeks and about a week ago it didn't feel so great. I wrote it off as being in my head. LADIES, if you notice sex feels uncomfortable for unexplainable reasons or "sneeze leaks", ch-ch-check it out with your doc!

My best friend was lucky enough to witness my "OMG" 's on the phone as I discovered the lost 'n' found tampon and now I'm referring her to this lovely forum for preventative measures and education. YOU ALL ARE HELPFUL, so THANK YOU! <3

p.s. calling my doctor tomorrow...fingers crossed.
I had a tampon pushed inside due to sex and my period was cut short because of it. Now a week and 3 days later I got it out and am having cramps.  Should I be worried?
Thank God for this forum! I had a rotten smelling vag for a few days, then came the brown discharge, I looked on the forums online and prepared for the worst. Then, I noticed a common mistake, not taking a tampon out/forgetting it in there, or that you thought you took it out before applying a new one. So, before calling a dr. I washed up and prepared to go hunting for a lost tampax, Lo and behold, I pull out a rancid, brown, horribly stinky tampax that must have been in there for over a week!!! I don't think I have TSS and I'm going to wait a few days to make sure the smell/discharge go away. But, that smell, OMG it is horrific, Thank God I got that thing autta there!!!

I have my period now, today is Friday, I got my period Monday.  I am 35 and have never left or forgot a tampon before and have been using them at least 20 years.  This week has been extra crazy and somewhere between work, soccer, baseball, my one year old waking up everynight for a hours because she has strep and an ear infection I lost one.  

I have no clue when, Wednesday I did not feel good my back and head hurt, yesterday my head hurt, to my head hurts again, but no fever, I took a bath and then had sex with my husband and during sex is the first time I noticed the order.  We actually had to stop it smelled so bad.  

I called the Dr. byt they are on lunch so i started looking on the interenet and found this site.  THANK GOD!!! I thought I better go check. Sure enough I was feeling around and there it was. I pulled it out and DID not put a new one back in I just put on a pad. (which I never use) but thought I should now.  

My question is will the order go away or should I still call the Dr.?  
Amazing. Now I don't feel like such a putz.

Well today I had a tampon push it's way out. So this whole month I have been thinking I have bv because I've had it many times before and this time I didn't have the money for the doctor so I decided to do home remedies. About six days ago I inserted a tampon with yogurt on a drunken night and then at some point had sex with my boyfriend. He is conviced I took it out first but in my haze was unsure. I felt around and didn't find anything except my IUD strings. Well low and behold 6 days later it appears. However if I did take it out first then was this one I forgot before? and how did I not feel it? Even though it came out today it's still really swolen down there so I made an appt with my doctor and I hope all is ok. I'm scared because this has never happened to me in the 16 years that I have used tampons.

Update to come....
I too am glad that I have found this forum! A couple weeks ago me and my fiance had sex and the next day he asked me if I was ok? I was like what are you talking about and he said that when we made love he felt something that has never been there before. Now we have been together for 9 years...so for him to say that really freaked me out. So i thought maybe it might be a cyst, and started looking around online and came across some information that caused me to not really worry. Well a couple days after that, I started noticing this really horrible smell and excessive discharge. Was experiencing stomach pains and excessive diarreha. I put off the diarreha to nerves and stress (at 26 decided to go back to school and was really freaked out about it) The smell and excessive discharge i thought might be bacterial vaginosis. I couldnt make an appt with my doc cause I have been having problems with my insurance, coverage and whatnot. So i was just dealing with it. On 10/6 i went to the bathroom and when I wiped i felt something weird. Grabbed a mirror and put it down there and it was a FREAKING tampon!!!! WTH! I checked back on my calander and the last time I had my period was 9/24! At some point, I must've forgot, made love to my fiance and he pushed it up there. It was in there for 12 days! How could I be so forgetfull?!?!! I have been using tampons for 15 years and this has never happened to me. Sooo I obviously pulled it out. Had some light bleeding and stomach cramps. I immediatley googled TSS and saw that I didnt have any of the symptoms, but I def think there is something going on up there. I have had this "burning" feeling in my stomach ever since, cramping, sharp pains ect. Since then I have made love with my fiance 2x and the first time it was painful. I finally got my insurance back on track and have an appt on thurs. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and it makes me feel so much better to know that I am not the only one out there.
i had the same kind of stuff at your age. wasnt tampon related at all in my case. not sure if its jsut the age or the fact that my BF was always cheating on me and giving me stuff. did have several yeast infections though at that age, all of which seemed to clear up as i got a bit older (and coincidentally after i broke up with him.)

sorry if this is possibly bad news.  ; (  
I also left one in there, but for way longer than i'm reading about, i found it last night so it must have been there for about two weeks, and i did thought i had the flu and i am still dissy and the nurse i called last night didn't speak english and wasn't verry helpful. i still don't feel good and not sure what to do. the clinic ware i go for some reason the nurse is not picking up.
i also had this problem... sooooo glad i found this post!!!
i actually dont even know how long ive had the tampon in there for it couldv been a month or even longer.. its happened to me before- i was actually drunk one weekend when i had my period and i must've forgotten i changed it then put another one up when i got home before i wnt to bed and since then just changed the 2nd ones but old one was still inside me...
iv had sex many times with my boyfriend and have noticed smell and brown discharghy but we thoguht maybe it was some form of STD... then today i went to the toilet to urinate, and then randomly felt something drop and it was a tampon! i was so scared it was miscarrage (miscarriage) or something as i just had NOOOOOOOOO idea a tampon was in me! the thing i dont get is, how the hell did i have period still when i had a tampon alraedy in me! and how did my boyfriend not notice i had a tampon in there.!!
If you have done this, after removing old tampon, immediately insert another covered with 'live' yogurt.  Often marketed as 'probiotic' yogurt.  This will restore natural vaginal flora - no need to take antibiotics as these can sometimes make the problem worse.  You can also whisk to liquid and pour probiotic yogurt into the vagina.  Tampon method is great.  What was the cause of your problem, can become the solution!
I've used tampons for 20 years with no issue but lately my periods have been heavier so sometimes I use supers, mostly at night. On a Friday I woke up to go the bathroom and when I went to wipe found myself covered in blood. I cleaned myself up and thought from all the blood my tampon had fallen out in the toilet as it sometimes does when I bear down to go number 2. So I put another one in and didn't think anything of it.
The next morning I woke up worried I might have two in there so I dug around and found nothing so life went on. My period stopped that Sunday. Today, Wednesday, I had weird cramping and what I thought was breakthrough bleeding. I told my husband I thought something was wrong. I went in the bathroom and sat on the toilet and pushed a lot but nothing. I finally went digging around up there and felt something weird but couldn't quite figure out what it was. After more pushing I could finally hook my finger in it and pulled out a tampon that had no string! So gross.
I called my doctors office and they said someone would  call me back but no one has so I emailed my doctor even though it is so embarrassing. I can't believe that tampons push out of my when I go number 2 all the time but I had one actually stuck up there. So weird.
I'm so glad I came across this page. After a big night out I forgot to take out my tampon and only realised it almost 24hrs after putting it in. Managed to take it out but the past 2 days feel like my vag is really stinky n there's a lil whiteish discharge. I dunt have a fever, cramping or anything else. Do I need to see the doc for some bacterial wash or anti-biotics?
I totally screwed up!  I just retrieved a tamp that was probably in me for about 5 days (a super plus!). i had the brown watery discharge, odd odor that wafted up from the bowl while peeing, also felt a little light headded, thought it was elevated blood pressure but i took it and was in normal range, also took temperature but it was normal.  After I removed the foul tamp I freaked out and douched twice once with a hydrogen peroxide & water solution and second with a vinegar & water solution.  I know everyone said do not douche under any circumstances but I seriously wanted to be clean and get that stink out of me.  i feel like a complete idiot.  the stink is gone right now, but if it changes i'm going to the doctor immediately. i have never in my entire career of womanhood, and i'll be 43 soon, left a tamp in so long. i think i'll be o.k., no TSS symptoms, but as I said I"ll go to the doctor if i get a drip, pain or an odor over the next 48 hours.
So glad to see I'm not the only one!! My period started on Sunday, & while using the washroom, I realized I had inserted a new tampon before removing the old one. I couldn't believe I had done that, as I've been using tampons since I was a teenager & never had this happen before, & now I'm 39! I immediately removed the new one, then removed the old one & reinserted the new one, & thought nothing more about it.

However, all week I've noticed the used tampons weren't as "soaked" as they usually are, especially during the first 2-3 days of my period, & they almost seemed to have mucous mixed with the blood, & a yellow-y tinge. Then yesterday & today I started to notice a foul odour on the tampons that I removed. I remembered a college roomate once telling me about forgetting to remove a tampon, & she only found out when she starting experiencing a foul odour.

I began to wonder if perhaps I had done the same as before & inadvertently inserted a new tampon without removing the old one first. I googled "tampon odour" and found this site. After reading the above posts, I decided to check things out in the washroom (I'm at work). I removed the tampon I had inserted this morning and then felt around inside, & sure enough, I felt another tampon up there! I don't know how long it's been there, and I wasn't able to get it out in the washroom (I tried for 5-10 mins).

I was afraid of pushing it up further, so I am going to a walk-in clinic tonight to have it removed. I have been having headaches all week that I have been attributing to the weather, but according to these posts, it seems to be a common symptom. I have also had the urge to urinate frequently, & some pain in my kidney area, so I suspect I have developed a UTI because of this. I will mention this to the doctor, as well, as I will probably need antibiotics, & I will ask about TSS, but I haven't been experiencing any other symptoms. Thanks for all the info, ladies! It's great to know I'm not the only one who is sometimes absent-minded enough to do this!! :)

Sorry about the long post, but hopefully my experience will help someone else.
I'm glad you discovered your problem and yes it is a common thing. I'm with you in saying that I can not believe someone could be so insensitive to say that they can't believe how someone could leave one inside!!! Oh but she's really small and always aware!! This has nothing to do with being small, that's ignorance and arrogance both speaking. It's as simple as the string getting lodged inside!!!
2 weeks ago I has a really bad odor so i went to my GP and informed me it was a bacterial infection and gave me a weeks course of antibiotics. A week after i finished my antibiotics, the smell was still there and my partner told me that intercourse just didn't feel the same and that during foreplay it felt "a little ruff" up there.
Was at my GP once again today and she again took a look up there. To her disbelief she found an old tampon up there and apologized very quickly for not noticing it there 2 weeks prior. I'm now 2 courses of antibiotics just in case of infection. Its not embarrassing, it happens the best of us ladies :)
i did have cramping...and recently realized i had also forgot about a tampon. my bf also found it during foreplay. embarrassing but more terrifying than anything. I get cramping a lot though so i didnt think anything of it. my concern now is that after i got the tampon i didnt realize was there out, i am worried that there could be another! im afraid to have sex and use another tampon and risk pushing it farther inside me. is there any chance there could be another one i dont know about and may not be easy to feel? we have had sex but i was told during my last ultrasound for pain i had recently, that i have a long uterus. is it possible that there could be another?!
Just happened to me... and your reply was the greatest! Funniest stuff I have read in a long time, all out of a very nasty situation. I know it is years later- but you made my day!
I have had vomiting.and diareia for the last three.days and got in the shower and found a tampon up me. It was discussting it smelt like a dead body. I was horrified! I have been wondering why I was vomiting.and having diariea along with dizzyness and insane nausia! I also had body aches. Am I ok??
My period slowed dwn but I kept my tampon in jus in case it started back but once I got home I started havin pain in my pelvic area so I took it out but the pain is still there i don't know what's wrong with me but it's not a good feeling
You ladies are great! I thank you so much for sharing your stories, I don't feel quite so stupid anymore. I am on my period now and I was feeling a bit sore up there so I took out my tampon and decided not to add another since I wasn't bleeding at the time or going anywhere, but the pain was still there, like when a tampon has not been inserted just right, since I had already removed one I didn't understand what the deal was so I laid down and checked, well you can guess what I found! It was a dark red but no smell, couldn't have been more than a whole day give or take a few hours but my first thought was TSS, so I went to my laptop,  did a google search and found this site right off thank goodness! I am no longer sore down there and I feel fine but I will watch closely.

Thanks again for all of these helpful posts, never mind the negative ones, real women know how important it is to share things like this with one another and there is no shame in being human, Some of you made me smile, some of you made me laugh out loud, some of you made me sad that you went through so much, God bless you all!
I just realized I've had a tampon stuck inside for about 3 weeks! I guess it just worked itself to the front. I don't think I have symptoms other than nasty Odor and some discharge but will go get checked out. Also I hear men can get it too! I just took a bath with a cup of apple cider vinegar in the water because it kills bacteria. I have been doing this anyway because before I found the tampon I thought I had bacterial vaginosis! Better to be safe and get checked out than get permanent damage. And I remember reading on the tampon label when I first started using them that it was impossible to get one stuck!!!
last week i also noticed that i left a tampon in i was noticing a bad smell and it hurt very bad to walk and urine, i had left it there for 3 weeks!! i didnt see a string and i totally forgot about it.. i went to the doctor and explaned my situation and he prescribed me Dalacin its a cream that goes inside he said that my infection would be gone in less than 5 days using this cream that was 50$ so far its been 2 weeks and the infection is still here its very painfull and iritating.. is there anything that u would recomend to help this..
I just did this two days ago. I left the tampon in for 4-5 days, took baths, and had sex during this time. I took my son to burger king two nights ago and was doubled over in pain. I went straight to doctor. I ended up getting the tampon out in bathroom at doctor's office, but he still put me on antibiotics and pain medication for a UTI. I feel a little better that other people have done this. I'm still not feeling great a couple days later.
I just did this last week, I had a tampon stuck for 3 days until I noticed a really bad smell, the thing was I went out with my boyfriend and got extremely drunk, he thougt I wasn't on my period anymore and me being drunk forgot about my tampon, so we had sex, the next morning 3 days later I wasn't feeling good, I was shakey (shaky). Then my boyfriend told me about the smell and I noticed it too so I started researching cause it didn't seem normal, I check just in case i had a tampon stuck and sure enough it was there it took me two hours to get it out...now I have a doc app just to make sure I didn't get any infections
For everyone with a vulva, especially the ones who are experiencing odor issues after the tampon is out. Please never douche. It will kill the bad bacteria while also killing your good bacteria; As well as killing any chance of fighting off an infection. If you're looking for something to clean you out, go to...

Sliquid.com

It's a sight for lubes without all the bad stuff in them ( by the way regular lube can cause bad stuff like uti's all the way to cancer).

They also have a feminine wash. It's made to restore your natural ph balance in your vulva. It's an alternative to soap; And before I used it I didn't even realize how uncomfortable it was for my vulva when I washed with regular soap.

I totally swear by it and I hope you check it out. My vulva is very happy with it.

If you're not sure you have a tampon in, try squatting and pushing. maybe that will help get it far enough down where you can feel it.

Also don't be afraid to check your vulva out regularly, even when you're not on your period. The actual feeling of my vagina changes after a week of tampon use. It's drier and almost more spongier, try using things like that as an indicator if your're not already using them.

I haven't had this happen to me personally, but I'm always paranoid about it. I check (and sometimes double check) for a tampon before I put in a new one, EVERY TIME. I will stick a finger in as far as it can go, even if I have a heavy flow. You can always wash your hands later. I'm sure you ladies are careful, it's just something that has helped me.

My sister did have this happen for three weeks and is now feeling a lump in her very sore breasts. Could be a swollen lymph node from and infection...or not.  
Has anyone heard of getting something like cancer from lost tampons? Or has anyone at least experienced sore boobs afterwards?

P.S. Beautiful Ladies! If you're man or woman gets freaked out about your unusual vulva symptoms then you don't want them. I understand it's embarrassing, but that kind of stuff happens with vulva's. The only thing they should be doing is making sure you know that they still are attracted/like/love/or all of the above. And that it's gonna be okay, and they'll go with you to the doctors. Sex and everything that goes along with it is amazing, and also very, very messy. And it's totally worth it. And remember, they might just not know you feel this way. Talk to them, communication is key to any relationship. I have literally pooped a little on a bed from anal. I was so embarrassed I started crying. My sweetheart held me, told me it was nothing to be embarrassed about, and when I was done crying he cleaned up my poop. And I would do the same for him. :) **** happens.

P.S.S. Just some home remedies for genital issues. If you have a yeast infection, stick a clove of garlic up your vagina. Garlic kills yeast. Here's directions from another site.

f a woman can pay attention to the first tickling of the yeast infection, she can use the following treatment. Take a clove of fresh garlic and peel off the natural white paper shell that covers it, leaving the clove intact. At bedtime, put the clove into the vagina. In the morning, remove the garlic clove and throw it in the toilet. The garlic often causes the vagina to have a watery discharge. One night's treatment may be enough to kill the infection, or it might have to be repeated the next night. Continue one or two days until all itchiness is gone. The reason that the treatment is done at bedtime is that there is a connection between the mouth and the vagina. The moment the garlic is placed in the vagina, the taste of the garlic travels up to the mouth. Most people will find this strong flavor annoying during the day, so the treatment is recommended for nighttime.

If the infection has advanced to the point that a woman has large quantities of white discharge and red sore labia, it can still be treated by garlic but with a higher dose. Use a dry tissue to remove some of the discharge, then take a clove of garlic and cut it in half. Put it in the vagina at bedtime and repeat this for a few nights. If there is no improvement, she might consider a conventional over-the-counter treatment because it is a shame to suffer for many days. Remember that a woman should never douche during a vaginal infection. Yeast loves water and any water will make it grow faster.

Garlic protocol:

Break a clove off of a bulb of garlic and peel off the paper-like cover. Cut in half. Sew a string thru it for easy retrieval.
Put a fresh half in your vagina in the evening before you go to sleep. Most women taste garlic in their mouths as soon as it is in their vagina, so it is less pleasant to treat while awake.
In the morning, the garlic may come out when you poop. If not, many women find it is easiest to take it out on the toilet. Circle the vagina with a finger, till you find it. It cannot enter the uterus through the cervix. It cannot get lost, but it can get pushed into the pocket between the cervix and the vaginal wall.
Most people will taste the garlic as long as it is in there. So if you still taste it, it is probably still in there. Most women have trouble getting it out the first time.
For easy retrieval, sew a string through the middle of the clove before you put it in. You don't want to get irritated. Be gentle. Don't scratch yourself with long nails.

Check out                  http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/garlic.asp             for info on why garlic helps yeast infections, what else it helps with, and if you have a stronger yeast infection, look for tricks on how to make the garlic more effective.

(sorry it's so long) Hope I helped.
I totally agree with you I'm very confused that people can easily walk about not knowing they have a tampon in them then put another one in! That just doesn't make sense to me sorry never happened to me :/ x
Same thing happened to me and somehow it was in there for 5 months I noticed a foul odor thinking it was bv thought I cured it but the smell came back then one day I went up there with my fingers and to my horror there was a tampon in there. Switching to pads from now on.
i forgot to take out my tampon and i had no odor or hurting but i could not find a nurse to tell me what to do my son woried that i was going to die but i told him that you dont  have to worry then i tried to contact my friends but they did not answer the phone then i read the tampon box and my son worried even more and cried then i called my friend francis and she said it is no big deal and it is to much information to tell my son.
And then i was disapionted that i told my son and then called my sponse.
and then everything was ok .
I have also done this . I realized it the other day and figured it had been in for two or three days I also had a very bad smell but it was from the old.blood in the tampon I had forgotten about.  Thankfully when putting the new tampon in it was very difficult and simply didn't feel like it was in right.  I used a shower head just to rinse the inside of my vagina to make sure any old blood and or discharge was able to come out.  I never had and sick like symptoms but this is also the second time it has happen to me. I am goinn to make sure from here on out that I am more careful when inserting tampons. I am also off of my period and it has been a couple days since it has happened. I feel fine should I still make an appointment?
I am going to GYN tomrrow for same reason. Was over my period and seem to think I may have forgotten to take the last one I used out. Fished around and did not feel anything so let that idea go. Well last nite I started to bleed and constant clots. Never in my life did I have a cycle like that. I could not even stand without such a flow coming out of me. Finally I felt something slide out as if it was a fish swimming out and to my disbelief it appeared to b a tampon could only tell from the string. Funny part is had no odor, no cramps no fever. Everyone kept saying menopause setting it. But it just my stupid mistake. To be safe going to DR tomorrow to tell my embarassing story. If anyone interested in results I will post.
the same thing happened to me, I had one in, and was woken up to sex..he didn't know it was in there, and I was half asleep. it's been 8 days and it just worked it's way out. same symptoms, thought i had a yeast infection. I have no symptoms of infection. the problem is i have no insurance, and really can't afford to go to a gyn.  i just wanted an opinion on not going to the doc's. as long as i have no symptoms i should be fine, right
I have done the same thing. I know its been in there since Thursday (today is Wensday) maybe longer i don't know. Me and my boyfriend have had sex 3 times since then and the first time he had brown discharge on his stuff and it smelt horrible... I just figured it was old blood. The same thing happened the second time and the third time it was like i was bleeding brown and the smell got worse it was all over my legs and him. I defiantly wanted to cry. well last night I took a bath hoping that kind of flushing it out would clear out the old blood and I pushed and the tampon came out. I felt like the biggest retard ever!!! but thanks everyone for posting these stories I feel normal again haha! My friends and boyfriend freaked said I need to tell my doctor but I feel 100% fine and my mom said I will be OK as long as I don't show symptoms So unless i get sick anytime soon I'm not gonna tell my doctor because I can't miss work....
PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all!
CloudiGin,
I too thought the same way when 30 years ago after having my son, the girl in the bed next to me told me that happened to her and she was a Nurse!!!
For years I thought, wow, how could this happen? Wouldn't you notice? etc etc.  Well, 30 years later, if happened to me!  I'd had a shower and was in a hurry to get to a party.  Later that night, I went to replace my tampon and couldn't find a string.  Then I couldn't remember if I had even put a tampon on the night be for in my haste.  Well, 8 days later, I noticed a bad odor and discharge and so felt around and sure enough, one was lodged deep enough that I could barely touch it with the tip of my finger....
So...never assume anything and yes, always be diligent.
I just today went to see a gyno, I also somehow forgot a tampon for a month I realized something was wrong when then and the time period it took for me to get my period again smelled like dead animal I was scared to tell my mom. But it had gotten so bad that even my urine smelled like 10 years old ruin no joke. So today after the visit from the doc I got a Pam smear done and I found out I have an ulcer 2 cysts and a UTI still waiting on the results for the pap my great doctor said I more than likely got the ulcer from the blood of the old tampon and made an infection. I am taking 4 day antibiotics & 3 day suppository like medicine for the bacteria, also my urine results had a lot of diff types of bacteria. Yes it was a horrid day for me. Wish me luck. So yes there is effects to leaving a tampon sooner or later. Go get checked!!  
Oh, please. Get over yourself. Stuff happens and you can forget. You've never forgotten? Good for you. But please don't chide these people. It is embarrassing enough for them. They are looking for help.
Thanks.
I had the same symptomaine of a horrific smell, weird dark blood and cramps. I went to my gyno and she found a tampon WAY up there... Like unable to be fished out without forceps! She put me on two anti biotics as my cervix was inflamed. She told me NOT to douche! The smell went away immediately and I feel fine. Seriously, go get it looked at- I was sure I hadn't left one up there, and I had- for a month! I had been having sex and using tampons the whole time! I was mortified but I'm SO glad I went to the MD- I could have gotten TSS!
I am so glad i found this site! tonight i was going to the bathroom and felt something weird in my vagina and felt it and pulled out a tampon! I have been off my period for two to three weeks but probably used other tampons on top of that one and also had sex while it was up there! Since I found it so late at night I haven't been able to get it checked out so I am still mortified but can hopefully see the doc tomorrow. I had no idea it was up there but do remember questioning whether i had taken out my tampon or not once during my last period. The only signs that I had was a very foul odor a couple days before finding it, along with a slight discharge. But it is so nice to see that I'm not alone in this! I had no idea that this happened to so many people! I was sitting here thinking that it was so crazy that I had done that and I bet that no one else does that and then I did some research and found this and it made me feel way less stupid.
yeahhhhh.... that story was like one of those that end with; now forward this to 10 of friends or it WILL happen to YOU
Hi! uhm I was just wondering if the doctor said something was wrong or that this could actually have serious consequences. The EXACT same thing happened to me but after I took it out the odor completely went away and I haven't felt any symptoms of something bad.. do I need to go to the doctor just to be safe or not?

-Steinunn :)
This site is a life saver! Tonight while going to the bathroom I felt something not so right... down there. When I reached down I felt a tampon string and immediatly pulled it out. Needless to say it was so gross! I have been off my period for 3 weeks!!! I am due to start this up coming week! As soon as I got it out I did what any girl freaking out would do, I googled it! I have been reading all of these post and it has made me feel a lot better! The only symptoms I have had was a slight odor, I thought it had been caused by the weather getting warmer causing me to sweat. Honestly I have never been so grossed out in my life. I am 20 years old and have been using tampons for at least 6 years and have never had a problem. After removing the tampon I have been having a small amount of pain in the pit of my stomach, but I think this is just a factor of the sense of panic that I felt upon finding the tampon.
An ectopic pregnancy is a very serious often fatal condition. TSS is usually not related to such a condition. And TSS is usually not life threatening as compared to ectopic pregnancy. Symptoms are usually onset quickly. an ectopic pregnancy is very very urgent. It is critical to get patients to the hospital in the least amount of time. TSS symptoms onset gradually. They present more like a cold that gets worse. when checking for anyone in an emergency state we look for the ABC s. airway is the airway open. how are they breathing. is it hard for them to breath does the chest fall and rise at a normal depth and pace. Is breathing labored. Circulation is there a pulse. is it normal. how does the skin look. Is it pink or pale. is it warm or cold. is it clamy or dry? If the airway is occluded an emergency, if breathing is labored transport is neccessary. pale skin clamy not good signs. but the urgency is based on vital signs as well. Is the heart beat in normal range, is the temp normal. blood pressure normal range o2 stat. ect. the best thing to do is see your primary doctor if you are concerned about it. TSS is rare, and because it is one of the shock syndromes, any state of shock is reversible with the proper care. Once in the shock state though you will know it. the body declines rapidly .TSS from a tampon is the last stage of what can go wrong. if you are still moving and able to consciously be alert enough to type what you have im pretty sure you don't have TSS. you would be weak and not alert enough to respond to most daily stimuli. An altered mental state is almost always parallel with shock. i would be more concerned about a bacterial infection in the wahoo then TSS. Again like i said any issues concerning your health u should consult a physician, instead of personal Google research. many times this will do nothing more then cause anxiety and worry.
And btw forgetting a tampon in is more common then u would think.
Just when things start going well with the boyfriend I develop a bacteria infection...I had a bad odor and some discharge and went to the doctor for a swab; I was given antibiotic for a bacteria infection should have cleared up in a week; had to go back to the doctor for another swab still had bacterial infection was given another round of antibiotics; I have never had a bacterial infection and I am 46 yrs old. so I started thinking (after I read up on what could cause odors in vagina) maybe I had left a tampon in after my last period because the odor started a few days after my period (this went on for about six weeks)  so I got with my boyfriend to discuss what he thought and sure enough I had left one in and was putting in tampons on top of that one... After I dislodged old tampon (whew what a smell) my odor went away although I am sure I had a bacteria infection caused by the left tampon. no other symptom except the odor.. so thanks for all the input about this situation for I never would have thought of it had I not read all of your stories.
All u ladies up here are amazing...I have felt ill for about a week with abdominal pains and red hot rash.was getting a bad odour from the down town and thought it was because I felt unwell. Took a shower this evening and went "exploring" and was shocked to discover an old tampon. I count about 6 days and panicked but stumbled across this forum. THANK YOU all for being so brave and honest. I have calmed down completely. Thanks ladies.