Forgot Tampon
I have just discovered that I forgot to take out a tampon but have had my period this whole week so have been using a tampon on top of the old one. I had noticed a very bad odour and when I took the left one out its was horrific!! This morning I woke up feeling like im getting flu and im worried its TSS. If anyone has done something as silly as this before and has advice please let me know. Im reading all sorts of things about it being life-threatening etc. I would appreciate any advice.
I had a tampon pushed inside due to sex and my period was cut short because of it. Now a week and 3 days later I got it out and am having cramps.  Should I be worried?
Thank God for this forum! I had a rotten smelling vag for a few days, then came the brown discharge, I looked on the forums online and prepared for the worst. Then, I noticed a common mistake, not taking a tampon out/forgetting it in there, or that you thought you took it out before applying a new one. So, before calling a dr. I washed up and prepared to go hunting for a lost tampax, Lo and behold, I pull out a rancid, brown, horribly stinky tampax that must have been in there for over a week!!! I don't think I have TSS and I'm going to wait a few days to make sure the smell/discharge go away. But, that smell, OMG it is horrific, Thank God I got that thing autta there!!!

I have my period now, today is Friday, I got my period Monday.  I am 35 and have never left or forgot a tampon before and have been using them at least 20 years.  This week has been extra crazy and somewhere between work, soccer, baseball, my one year old waking up everynight for a hours because she has strep and an ear infection I lost one.  

I have no clue when, Wednesday I did not feel good my back and head hurt, yesterday my head hurt, to my head hurts again, but no fever, I took a bath and then had sex with my husband and during sex is the first time I noticed the order.  We actually had to stop it smelled so bad.  

I called the Dr. byt they are on lunch so i started looking on the interenet and found this site.  THANK GOD!!! I thought I better go check. Sure enough I was feeling around and there it was. I pulled it out and DID not put a new one back in I just put on a pad. (which I never use) but thought I should now.  

My question is will the order go away or should I still call the Dr.?  
Amazing. Now I don't feel like such a putz.

Well today I had a tampon push it's way out. So this whole month I have been thinking I have bv because I've had it many times before and this time I didn't have the money for the doctor so I decided to do home remedies. About six days ago I inserted a tampon with yogurt on a drunken night and then at some point had sex with my boyfriend. He is conviced I took it out first but in my haze was unsure. I felt around and didn't find anything except my IUD strings. Well low and behold 6 days later it appears. However if I did take it out first then was this one I forgot before? and how did I not feel it? Even though it came out today it's still really swolen down there so I made an appt with my doctor and I hope all is ok. I'm scared because this has never happened to me in the 16 years that I have used tampons.

Update to come....
I too am glad that I have found this forum! A couple weeks ago me and my fiance had sex and the next day he asked me if I was ok? I was like what are you talking about and he said that when we made love he felt something that has never been there before. Now we have been together for 9 years...so for him to say that really freaked me out. So i thought maybe it might be a cyst, and started looking around online and came across some information that caused me to not really worry. Well a couple days after that, I started noticing this really horrible smell and excessive discharge. Was experiencing stomach pains and excessive diarreha. I put off the diarreha to nerves and stress (at 26 decided to go back to school and was really freaked out about it) The smell and excessive discharge i thought might be bacterial vaginosis. I couldnt make an appt with my doc cause I have been having problems with my insurance, coverage and whatnot. So i was just dealing with it. On 10/6 i went to the bathroom and when I wiped i felt something weird. Grabbed a mirror and put it down there and it was a FREAKING tampon!!!! WTH! I checked back on my calander and the last time I had my period was 9/24! At some point, I must've forgot, made love to my fiance and he pushed it up there. It was in there for 12 days! How could I be so forgetfull?!?!! I have been using tampons for 15 years and this has never happened to me. Sooo I obviously pulled it out. Had some light bleeding and stomach cramps. I immediatley googled TSS and saw that I didnt have any of the symptoms, but I def think there is something going on up there. I have had this "burning" feeling in my stomach ever since, cramping, sharp pains ect. Since then I have made love with my fiance 2x and the first time it was painful. I finally got my insurance back on track and have an appt on thurs. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and it makes me feel so much better to know that I am not the only one out there.
i had the same kind of stuff at your age. wasnt tampon related at all in my case. not sure if its jsut the age or the fact that my BF was always cheating on me and giving me stuff. did have several yeast infections though at that age, all of which seemed to clear up as i got a bit older (and coincidentally after i broke up with him.)

sorry if this is possibly bad news.  ; (  
I also left one in there, but for way longer than i'm reading about, i found it last night so it must have been there for about two weeks, and i did thought i had the flu and i am still dissy and the nurse i called last night didn't speak english and wasn't verry helpful. i still don't feel good and not sure what to do. the clinic ware i go for some reason the nurse is not picking up.
i also had this problem... sooooo glad i found this post!!!
i actually dont even know how long ive had the tampon in there for it couldv been a month or even longer.. its happened to me before- i was actually drunk one weekend when i had my period and i must've forgotten i changed it then put another one up when i got home before i wnt to bed and since then just changed the 2nd ones but old one was still inside me...
iv had sex many times with my boyfriend and have noticed smell and brown discharghy but we thoguht maybe it was some form of STD... then today i went to the toilet to urinate, and then randomly felt something drop and it was a tampon! i was so scared it was miscarrage or something as i just had NOOOOOOOOO idea a tampon was in me! the thing i dont get is, how the hell did i have period still when i had a tampon alraedy in me! and how did my boyfriend not notice i had a tampon in there.!!
If you have done this, after removing old tampon, immediately insert another covered with 'live' yogurt.  Often marketed as 'probiotic' yogurt.  This will restore natural vaginal flora - no need to take antibiotics as these can sometimes make the problem worse.  You can also whisk to liquid and pour probiotic yogurt into the vagina.  Tampon method is great.  What was the cause of your problem, can become the solution!
I've used tampons for 20 years with no issue but lately my periods have been heavier so sometimes I use supers, mostly at night. On a Friday I woke up to go the bathroom and when I went to wipe found myself covered in blood. I cleaned myself up and thought from all the blood my tampon had fallen out in the toilet as it sometimes does when I bear down to go number 2. So I put another one in and didn't think anything of it.
The next morning I woke up worried I might have two in there so I dug around and found nothing so life went on. My period stopped that Sunday. Today, Wednesday, I had weird cramping and what I thought was breakthrough bleeding. I told my husband I thought something was wrong. I went in the bathroom and sat on the toilet and pushed a lot but nothing. I finally went digging around up there and felt something weird but couldn't quite figure out what it was. After more pushing I could finally hook my finger in it and pulled out a tampon that had no string! So gross.
I called my doctors office and they said someone would  call me back but no one has so I emailed my doctor even though it is so embarrassing. I can't believe that tampons push out of my when I go number 2 all the time but I had one actually stuck up there. So weird.
I'm so glad I came across this page. After a big night out I forgot to take out my tampon and only realised it almost 24hrs after putting it in. Managed to take it out but the past 2 days feel like my vag is really stinky n there's a lil whiteish discharge. I dunt have a fever, cramping or anything else. Do I need to see the doc for some bacterial wash or anti-biotics?
I totally screwed up!  I just retrieved a tamp that was probably in me for about 5 days (a super plus!). i had the brown watery discharge, odd odor that wafted up from the bowl while peeing, also felt a little light headded, thought it was elevated blood pressure but i took it and was in normal range, also took temperature but it was normal.  After I removed the foul tamp I freaked out and douched twice once with a hydrogen peroxide & water solution and second with a vinegar & water solution.  I know everyone said do not douche under any circumstances but I seriously wanted to be clean and get that stink out of me.  i feel like a complete idiot.  the stink is gone right now, but if it changes i'm going to the doctor immediately. i have never in my entire career of womanhood, and i'll be 43 soon, left a tamp in so long. i think i'll be o.k., no TSS symptoms, but as I said I"ll go to the doctor if i get a drip, pain or an odor over the next 48 hours.
So glad to see I'm not the only one!! My period started on Sunday, & while using the washroom, I realized I had inserted a new tampon before removing the old one. I couldn't believe I had done that, as I've been using tampons since I was a teenager & never had this happen before, & now I'm 39! I immediately removed the new one, then removed the old one & reinserted the new one, & thought nothing more about it.

However, all week I've noticed the used tampons weren't as "soaked" as they usually are, especially during the first 2-3 days of my period, & they almost seemed to have mucous mixed with the blood, & a yellow-y tinge. Then yesterday & today I started to notice a foul odour on the tampons that I removed. I remembered a college roomate once telling me about forgetting to remove a tampon, & she only found out when she starting experiencing a foul odour.

I began to wonder if perhaps I had done the same as before & inadvertently inserted a new tampon without removing the old one first. I googled "tampon odour" and found this site. After reading the above posts, I decided to check things out in the washroom (I'm at work). I removed the tampon I had inserted this morning and then felt around inside, & sure enough, I felt another tampon up there! I don't know how long it's been there, and I wasn't able to get it out in the washroom (I tried for 5-10 mins).

I was afraid of pushing it up further, so I am going to a walk-in clinic tonight to have it removed. I have been having headaches all week that I have been attributing to the weather, but according to these posts, it seems to be a common symptom. I have also had the urge to urinate frequently, & some pain in my kidney area, so I suspect I have developed a UTI because of this. I will mention this to the doctor, as well, as I will probably need antibiotics, & I will ask about TSS, but I haven't been experiencing any other symptoms. Thanks for all the info, ladies! It's great to know I'm not the only one who is sometimes absent-minded enough to do this!! :)

Sorry about the long post, but hopefully my experience will help someone else.
I'm glad you discovered your problem and yes it is a common thing. I'm with you in saying that I can not believe someone could be so insensitive to say that they can't believe how someone could leave one inside!!! Oh but she's really small and always aware!! This has nothing to do with being small, that's ignorance and arrogance both speaking. It's as simple as the string getting lodged inside!!!
2 weeks ago I has a really bad odor so i went to my GP and informed me it was a bacterial infection and gave me a weeks course of antibiotics. A week after i finished my antibiotics, the smell was still there and my partner told me that intercourse just didn't feel the same and that during foreplay it felt "a little ruff" up there.
Was at my GP once again today and she again took a look up there. To her disbelief she found an old tampon up there and apologized very quickly for not noticing it there 2 weeks prior. I'm now 2 courses of antibiotics just in case of infection. Its not embarrassing, it happens the best of us ladies :)
i did have cramping...and recently realized i had also forgot about a tampon. my bf also found it during foreplay. embarrassing but more terrifying than anything. I get cramping a lot though so i didnt think anything of it. my concern now is that after i got the tampon i didnt realize was there out, i am worried that there could be another! im afraid to have sex and use another tampon and risk pushing it farther inside me. is there any chance there could be another one i dont know about and may not be easy to feel? we have had sex but i was told during my last ultrasound for pain i had recently, that i have a long uterus. is it possible that there could be another?!
Just happened to me... and your reply was the greatest! Funniest stuff I have read in a long time, all out of a very nasty situation. I know it is years later- but you made my day!
I have had vomiting.and diareia for the last three.days and got in the shower and found a tampon up me. It was discussting it smelt like a dead body. I was horrified! I have been wondering why I was vomiting.and having diariea along with dizzyness and insane nausia! I also had body aches. Am I ok??
My period slowed dwn but I kept my tampon in jus in case it started back but once I got home I started havin pain in my pelvic area so I took it out but the pain is still there i don't know what's wrong with me but it's not a good feeling
You ladies are great! I thank you so much for sharing your stories, I don't feel quite so stupid anymore. I am on my period now and I was feeling a bit sore up there so I took out my tampon and decided not to add another since I wasn't bleeding at the time or going anywhere, but the pain was still there, like when a tampon has not been inserted just right, since I had already removed one I didn't understand what the deal was so I laid down and checked, well you can guess what I found! It was a dark red but no smell, couldn't have been more than a whole day give or take a few hours but my first thought was TSS, so I went to my laptop,  did a google search and found this site right off thank goodness! I am no longer sore down there and I feel fine but I will watch closely.

Thanks again for all of these helpful posts, never mind the negative ones, real women know how important it is to share things like this with one another and there is no shame in being human, Some of you made me smile, some of you made me laugh out loud, some of you made me sad that you went through so much, God bless you all!
I just realized I've had a tampon stuck inside for about 3 weeks! I guess it just worked itself to the front. I don't think I have symptoms other than nasty Odor and some discharge but will go get checked out. Also I hear men can get it too! I just took a bath with a cup of apple cider vinegar in the water because it kills bacteria. I have been doing this anyway because before I found the tampon I thought I had bacterial vaginosis! Better to be safe and get checked out than get permanent damage. And I remember reading on the tampon label when I first started using them that it was impossible to get one stuck!!!
last week i also noticed that i left a tampon in i was noticing a bad smell and it hurt very bad to walk and urine, i had left it there for 3 weeks!! i didnt see a string and i totally forgot about it.. i went to the doctor and explaned my situation and he prescribed me Dalacin its a cream that goes inside he said that my infection would be gone in less than 5 days using this cream that was 50$ so far its been 2 weeks and the infection is still here its very painfull and iritating.. is there anything that u would recomend to help this..
I just did this two days ago. I left the tampon in for 4-5 days, took baths, and had sex during this time. I took my son to burger king two nights ago and was doubled over in pain. I went straight to doctor. I ended up getting the tampon out in bathroom at doctor's office, but he still put me on antibiotics and pain medication for a UTI. I feel a little better that other people have done this. I'm still not feeling great a couple days later.
I just did this last week, I had a tampon stuck for 3 days until I noticed a really bad smell, the thing was I went out with my boyfriend and got extremely drunk, he thougt I wasn't on my period anymore and me being drunk forgot about my tampon, so we had sex, the next morning 3 days later I wasn't feeling good, I was shakey. Then my boyfriend told me about the smell and I noticed it too so I started researching cause it didn't seem normal, I check just in case i had a tampon stuck and sure enough it was there it took me two hours to get it out...now I have a doc app just to make sure I didn't get any infections
For everyone with a vulva, especially the ones who are experiencing odor issues after the tampon is out. Please never douche. It will kill the bad bacteria while also killing your good bacteria; As well as killing any chance of fighting off an infection. If you're looking for something to clean you out, go to...

Sliquid.com

It's a sight for lubes without all the bad stuff in them ( by the way regular lube can cause bad stuff like uti's all the way to cancer).

They also have a feminine wash. It's made to restore your natural ph balance in your vulva. It's an alternative to soap; And before I used it I didn't even realize how uncomfortable it was for my vulva when I washed with regular soap.

I totally swear by it and I hope you check it out. My vulva is very happy with it.

If you're not sure you have a tampon in, try squatting and pushing. maybe that will help get it far enough down where you can feel it.

Also don't be afraid to check your vulva out regularly, even when you're not on your period. The actual feeling of my vagina changes after a week of tampon use. It's drier and almost more spongier, try using things like that as an indicator if your're not already using them.

I haven't had this happen to me personally, but I'm always paranoid about it. I check (and sometimes double check) for a tampon before I put in a new one, EVERY TIME. I will stick a finger in as far as it can go, even if I have a heavy flow. You can always wash your hands later. I'm sure you ladies are careful, it's just something that has helped me.

My sister did have this happen for three weeks and is now feeling a lump in her very sore breasts. Could be a swollen lymph node from and infection...or not.  
Has anyone heard of getting something like cancer from lost tampons? Or has anyone at least experienced sore boobs afterwards?

P.S. Beautiful Ladies! If you're man or woman gets freaked out about your unusual vulva symptoms then you don't want them. I understand it's embarrassing, but that kind of stuff happens with vulva's. The only thing they should be doing is making sure you know that they still are attracted/like/love/or all of the above. And that it's gonna be okay, and they'll go with you to the doctors. Sex and everything that goes along with it is amazing, and also very, very messy. And it's totally worth it. And remember, they might just not know you feel this way. Talk to them, communication is key to any relationship. I have literally pooped a little on a bed from anal. I was so embarrassed I started crying. My sweetheart held me, told me it was nothing to be embarrassed about, and when I was done crying he cleaned up my poop. And I would do the same for him. :) **** happens.

P.S.S. Just some home remedies for genital issues. If you have a yeast infection, stick a clove of garlic up your vagina. Garlic kills yeast. Here's directions from another site.

f a woman can pay attention to the first tickling of the yeast infection, she can use the following treatment. Take a clove of fresh garlic and peel off the natural white paper shell that covers it, leaving the clove intact. At bedtime, put the clove into the vagina. In the morning, remove the garlic clove and throw it in the toilet. The garlic often causes the vagina to have a watery discharge. One night's treatment may be enough to kill the infection, or it might have to be repeated the next night. Continue one or two days until all itchiness is gone. The reason that the treatment is done at bedtime is that there is a connection between the mouth and the vagina. The moment the garlic is placed in the vagina, the taste of the garlic travels up to the mouth. Most people will find this strong flavor annoying during the day, so the treatment is recommended for nighttime.

If the infection has advanced to the point that a woman has large quantities of white discharge and red sore labia, it can still be treated by garlic but with a higher dose. Use a dry tissue to remove some of the discharge, then take a clove of garlic and cut it in half. Put it in the vagina at bedtime and repeat this for a few nights. If there is no improvement, she might consider a conventional over-the-counter treatment because it is a shame to suffer for many days. Remember that a woman should never douche during a vaginal infection. Yeast loves water and any water will make it grow faster.

Garlic protocol:

Break a clove off of a bulb of garlic and peel off the paper-like cover. Cut in half. Sew a string thru it for easy retrieval.
Put a fresh half in your vagina in the evening before you go to sleep. Most women taste garlic in their mouths as soon as it is in their vagina, so it is less pleasant to treat while awake.
In the morning, the garlic may come out when you poop. If not, many women find it is easiest to take it out on the toilet. Circle the vagina with a finger, till you find it. It cannot enter the uterus through the cervix. It cannot get lost, but it can get pushed into the pocket between the cervix and the vaginal wall.
Most people will taste the garlic as long as it is in there. So if you still taste it, it is probably still in there. Most women have trouble getting it out the first time.
For easy retrieval, sew a string through the middle of the clove before you put it in. You don't want to get irritated. Be gentle. Don't scratch yourself with long nails.

Check out                  http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/garlic.asp             for info on why garlic helps yeast infections, what else it helps with, and if you have a stronger yeast infection, look for tricks on how to make the garlic more effective.

(sorry it's so long) Hope I helped.
I totally agree with you I'm very confused that people can easily walk about not knowing they have a tampon in them then put another one in! That just doesn't make sense to me sorry never happened to me :/ x
Same thing happened to me and somehow it was in there for 5 months I noticed a foul odor thinking it was bv thought I cured it but the smell came back then one day I went up there with my fingers and to my horror there was a tampon in there. Switching to pads from now on.
i forgot to take out my tampon and i had no odor or hurting but i could not find a nurse to tell me what to do my son woried that i was going to die but i told him that you dont  have to worry then i tried to contact my friends but they did not answer the phone then i read the tampon box and my son worried even more and cried then i called my friend francis and she said it is no big deal and it is to much information to tell my son.
And then i was disapionted that i told my son and then called my sponse.
and then everything was ok .
I have also done this . I realized it the other day and figured it had been in for two or three days I also had a very bad smell but it was from the old.blood in the tampon I had forgotten about.  Thankfully when putting the new tampon in it was very difficult and simply didn't feel like it was in right.  I used a shower head just to rinse the inside of my vagina to make sure any old blood and or discharge was able to come out.  I never had and sick like symptoms but this is also the second time it has happen to me. I am goinn to make sure from here on out that I am more careful when inserting tampons. I am also off of my period and it has been a couple days since it has happened. I feel fine should I still make an appointment?
I am going to GYN tomrrow for same reason. Was over my period and seem to think I may have forgotten to take the last one I used out. Fished around and did not feel anything so let that idea go. Well last nite I started to bleed and constant clots. Never in my life did I have a cycle like that. I could not even stand without such a flow coming out of me. Finally I felt something slide out as if it was a fish swimming out and to my disbelief it appeared to b a tampon could only tell from the string. Funny part is had no odor, no cramps no fever. Everyone kept saying menopause setting it. But it just my stupid mistake. To be safe going to DR tomorrow to tell my embarassing story. If anyone interested in results I will post.
the same thing happened to me, I had one in, and was woken up to sex..he didn't know it was in there, and I was half asleep. it's been 8 days and it just worked it's way out. same symptoms, thought i had a yeast infection. I have no symptoms of infection. the problem is i have no insurance, and really can't afford to go to a gyn.  i just wanted an opinion on not going to the doc's. as long as i have no symptoms i should be fine, right
I have done the same thing. I know its been in there since Thursday (today is Wensday) maybe longer i don't know. Me and my boyfriend have had sex 3 times since then and the first time he had brown discharge on his stuff and it smelt horrible... I just figured it was old blood. The same thing happened the second time and the third time it was like i was bleeding brown and the smell got worse it was all over my legs and him. I defiantly wanted to cry. well last night I took a bath hoping that kind of flushing it out would clear out the old blood and I pushed and the tampon came out. I felt like the biggest retard ever!!! but thanks everyone for posting these stories I feel normal again haha! My friends and boyfriend freaked said I need to tell my doctor but I feel 100% fine and my mom said I will be OK as long as I don't show symptoms So unless i get sick anytime soon I'm not gonna tell my doctor because I can't miss work....
PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all!
CloudiGin,
I too thought the same way when 30 years ago after having my son, the girl in the bed next to me told me that happened to her and she was a Nurse!!!
For years I thought, wow, how could this happen? Wouldn't you notice? etc etc.  Well, 30 years later, if happened to me!  I'd had a shower and was in a hurry to get to a party.  Later that night, I went to replace my tampon and couldn't find a string.  Then I couldn't remember if I had even put a tampon on the night be for in my haste.  Well, 8 days later, I noticed a bad odor and discharge and so felt around and sure enough, one was lodged deep enough that I could barely touch it with the tip of my finger....
So...never assume anything and yes, always be diligent.
I just today went to see a gyno, I also somehow forgot a tampon for a month I realized something was wrong when then and the time period it took for me to get my period again smelled like dead animal I was scared to tell my mom. But it had gotten so bad that even my urine smelled like 10 years old ruin no joke. So today after the visit from the doc I got a Pam smear done and I found out I have an ulcer 2 cysts and a UTI still waiting on the results for the pap my great doctor said I more than likely got the ulcer from the blood of the old tampon and made an infection. I am taking 4 day antibiotics & 3 day suppository like medicine for the bacteria, also my urine results had a lot of diff types of bacteria. Yes it was a horrid day for me. Wish me luck. So yes there is effects to leaving a tampon sooner or later. Go get checked!!  
Oh, please. Get over yourself. Stuff happens and you can forget. You've never forgotten? Good for you. But please don't chide these people. It is embarrassing enough for them. They are looking for help.
Thanks.
I had the same symptomaine of a horrific smell, weird dark blood and cramps. I went to my gyno and she found a tampon WAY up there... Like unable to be fished out without forceps! She put me on two anti biotics as my cervix was inflamed. She told me NOT to douche! The smell went away immediately and I feel fine. Seriously, go get it looked at- I was sure I hadn't left one up there, and I had- for a month! I had been having sex and using tampons the whole time! I was mortified but I'm SO glad I went to the MD- I could have gotten TSS!
I am so glad i found this site! tonight i was going to the bathroom and felt something weird in my vagina and felt it and pulled out a tampon! I have been off my period for two to three weeks but probably used other tampons on top of that one and also had sex while it was up there! Since I found it so late at night I haven't been able to get it checked out so I am still mortified but can hopefully see the doc tomorrow. I had no idea it was up there but do remember questioning whether i had taken out my tampon or not once during my last period. The only signs that I had was a very foul odor a couple days before finding it, along with a slight discharge. But it is so nice to see that I'm not alone in this! I had no idea that this happened to so many people! I was sitting here thinking that it was so crazy that I had done that and I bet that no one else does that and then I did some research and found this and it made me feel way less stupid.
yeahhhhh.... that story was like one of those that end with; now forward this to 10 of friends or it WILL happen to YOU
Hi! uhm I was just wondering if the doctor said something was wrong or that this could actually have serious consequences. The EXACT same thing happened to me but after I took it out the odor completely went away and I haven't felt any symptoms of something bad.. do I need to go to the doctor just to be safe or not?

-Steinunn :)
This site is a life saver! Tonight while going to the bathroom I felt something not so right... down there. When I reached down I felt a tampon string and immediatly pulled it out. Needless to say it was so gross! I have been off my period for 3 weeks!!! I am due to start this up coming week! As soon as I got it out I did what any girl freaking out would do, I googled it! I have been reading all of these post and it has made me feel a lot better! The only symptoms I have had was a slight odor, I thought it had been caused by the weather getting warmer causing me to sweat. Honestly I have never been so grossed out in my life. I am 20 years old and have been using tampons for at least 6 years and have never had a problem. After removing the tampon I have been having a small amount of pain in the pit of my stomach, but I think this is just a factor of the sense of panic that I felt upon finding the tampon.
I had the same exact thing happen to me! I just came back from the OBGYN just yesterday. I had a really foul odor and no idea what was causing it... The discharge was a dark watery brown, unlike anything ive ever experienced before! After about a month of these symptoms, blood & urine tests from the ER, & no pregnancy, I made the appointment with my OB. I kept hoping it would subside on its own. Well, she went to do a culture, and next thing I know she's ripping the most disgusting thing I've ever seen out of me! What makes the matter worse..? It had been in me for over a month, and my boyfriend and I had been having sex cluelessly! Which explained the odor! I almost threw up right on the spot. I'm only 19, been using tampons since I was about 12, and I've forgotten them in for a couple extra hours before, but not like this. I had been using other tampons over this one to . I was shocked something could be pressed against my cervix and me basically have no idea! The string was completely gone so I wouldn't have known!! So scary!
An ectopic pregnancy is a very serious often fatal condition. TSS is usually not related to such a condition. And TSS is usually not life threatening as compared to ectopic pregnancy. Symptoms are usually onset quickly. an ectopic pregnancy is very very urgent. It is critical to get patients to the hospital in the least amount of time. TSS symptoms onset gradually. They present more like a cold that gets worse. when checking for anyone in an emergency state we look for the ABC s. airway is the airway open. how are they breathing. is it hard for them to breath does the chest fall and rise at a normal depth and pace. Is breathing labored. Circulation is there a pulse. is it normal. how does the skin look. Is it pink or pale. is it warm or cold. is it clamy or dry? If the airway is occluded an emergency, if breathing is labored transport is neccessary. pale skin clamy not good signs. but the urgency is based on vital signs as well. Is the heart beat in normal range, is the temp normal. blood pressure normal range o2 stat. ect. the best thing to do is see your primary doctor if you are concerned about it. TSS is rare, and because it is one of the shock syndromes, any state of shock is reversible with the proper care. Once in the shock state though you will know it. the body declines rapidly .TSS from a tampon is the last stage of what can go wrong. if you are still moving and able to consciously be alert enough to type what you have im pretty sure you don't have TSS. you would be weak and not alert enough to respond to most daily stimuli. An altered mental state is almost always parallel with shock. i would be more concerned about a bacterial infection in the wahoo then TSS. Again like i said any issues concerning your health u should consult a physician, instead of personal Google research. many times this will do nothing more then cause anxiety and worry.
And btw forgetting a tampon in is more common then u would think.
Just when things start going well with the boyfriend I develop a bacteria infection...I had a bad odor and some discharge and went to the doctor for a swab; I was given antibiotic for a bacteria infection should have cleared up in a week; had to go back to the doctor for another swab still had bacterial infection was given another round of antibiotics; I have never had a bacterial infection and I am 46 yrs old. so I started thinking (after I read up on what could cause odors in vagina) maybe I had left a tampon in after my last period because the odor started a few days after my period (this went on for about six weeks)  so I got with my boyfriend to discuss what he thought and sure enough I had left one in and was putting in tampons on top of that one... After I dislodged old tampon (whew what a smell) my odor went away although I am sure I had a bacteria infection caused by the left tampon. no other symptom except the odor.. so thanks for all the input about this situation for I never would have thought of it had I not read all of your stories.
All u ladies up here are amazing...I have felt ill for about a week with abdominal pains and red hot rash.was getting a bad odour from the down town and thought it was because I felt unwell. Took a shower this evening and went "exploring" and was shocked to discover an old tampon. I count about 6 days and panicked but stumbled across this forum. THANK YOU all for being so brave and honest. I have calmed down completely. Thanks ladies.
Uh thanks for your help ladies....this thread gave me the insight and courage to go hunting.  I have never had an odor before re and also notice recently that when I sit and move in a certain way I would feel a sharp pain.  After this last 9 day period I was really concerned over the length pain and severity of my period which normal k y comes and goes in about three days.  Got out of the shower today and decided to go exploring and sure enough it was there really high.  Had to squat and grunt and push to help it along far.enough to grab it.  Ouch but so glad I got it out.  Not sure how long it's been there.
OH MY GOD. I felt like such an idiot until I found this forum! I didn't have any pain, my period ended about two weeks ago and I only use tampons. About three days maybe four, I noticed a weird odor coming from me and a lot more discharge. Now I just had an IUD put in and it's the copper one so your body can change in odor and can discharge more because of it so I didn't think anything of it. But today it was really bad, like I didn't want to open my legs and I took two showers I felt so gross. Finally I talked to my boyfriend about it and he said maybe I'm rejecting my IUD so in my next shower I went exploring because you should check your strings first which is a tell tale sign, and what do you know A TAMPON WAS INSIDE ME. I almost threw up. I had to get kitchen tongs and basically rip it out of me to get it out (I threw them away don't worry). I am 20 years old and have used tampons for like 6 years and I feel like the biggest ******* in the whole world. I'm horrified with myself but you guys made me feel so much better. I feel better now that it's out but if my odor continues in going to call my OBGYN. THANK YOU THOUGH, this was so terrifying for me to experience!
I just had this experience tonight. I had went to the bathroom and tried to take a poop and i felt some weird pressure inside my area. Idk what i thought maybe my ovaries were falling out i dont know but i reached down and pulled out a very disgusting tampons that had to be inside me for atleast a month because i just recently had my period and made sure every tampon had been removed and changed frequently. Sure enough i figured i had a bacteria infection because of this gross discharge and smell coming from me especially after sex it got to the point i couldnt bring myself to have sex because it get on me and the bed sheets. After removal i felt sick for about an hour and pain for about an hour or so. I was so scared i didnt know what to do. If i continue feeling sick in the morning i will be headed over to the drs office. Thank you ladies now i dont feel so alone in this. I'm sure it got lodged in there when me and my boyfriend first got together a month ago i had just started and we were going to have sex i thought he had pulled the tampon out turns out he didnt. Grossest experience of my life tonight ladies.
Glad you found it!  I think during their lifetime, it's a rare woman that doesn't make this mistake one time.  It only takes once, right?  I did not go to the doctor after because I was fine pretty soon after but if you do feel bad within 24 hours still, then go get checked out.  The likelihood is that you are fine.  good luck hon
Oh my god I have had bacterial vaginosis before and it was awful and to my horror I smelt something similar yesterday, I straight away got upset because I knew how down it had got me last time so to catch the smelly discharge I started using tamping last night which has stopped the smell then realised I can't really get the tampons in properly, so I thought that maybe I had left a tampon in there so I checked it out and I had! Thank god I discovered it was that and no bacterial vaginosis again! Yay! Never thought a forgotten ta pin would nake me so happy haha what us women have to go through ay!
Glad you solved the mystery.  The nose knows, right?  Good luck