Foul, strong vaginal smell while NOT on period, no bacteria/STDs.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

My girlfriend, 25 years old has a very strong vaginal odor, she has gotten tested for STDS and infections and everything came out negative. She does have an IUD and has had it for 3 years. The odor is strongest while intercourse. She does not itch or burn. There are no other side effects associated with the smell. The smell is not fishy necessarily but not "normal" by all means, has a bit of an iron/metal smell to it, like blood, she however has poor iron levels and has been diagnosed with Lupus. The smell goes away completely right before her period and throughout. Abstinence does not correct the smell issue either. The smell is too strong to ignore. Here are some facts:

Female, 25, no STDS, no douching, takes pro-biotics and eats the special good bacteria yogurt. Smokes cigarettes, doesn't drink alcohol, IUD for 3 years, she has been diagnosed with Lupus, has taken antibiotics to treat the smell even though her doctor did not find any signs of chemical imbalance or infection.
well if she has been checked out for everything, then maybe its just her. there is no "normal" smell. We are all different.
Also, if her IUD has copper in it, you might be smelling the copper.  My old IUD did, and I could always smell a coppery tint to my vaginal secretions.  Has the ob-gyn confirmed that the smell is actually unusual, or is it just unusual to you two?
I think its possible that she has bacterial vaginosis.  The treatment for bacterial vaginosis (which is hard to treat and many times reoccurs) is either flagyl 2x daily for one week.  Or metrogel inserted vaginally for 5 days.  Maybe take her to the health department or a planned parenthood.  While BV isn't sexually transmitted if left untreated it could cause pelvic inflammatory disease which could lead to infertilty.  She needs to see a doctor and be tested for this.  They take a sample and look at it under the microscope.
The smell is definetly not normal and while I strongly I believe everyone is different and of course has a different smell, this one is too strong and it just doesn't smell natural, it does have a faint hint of that oh-so-common fishy smell, but it's not the same as I know how that one goes with bv. She doesn't have an OBGYN, she goes to a midwife, but I want her to go to another doctor, her midwife did notice the smell and she was the one who prescribed this 2-dosage antibiotic even though she did not find anything in the lab tests. After taking the antibiotic, a couple of days later I did not notice any smell but it came back a couple of days after. However she can't just take antibiotics all the time because of her Lupus.
I have Lupus and got my biggest flare up ever this past summer.I always smelled great and taste very good also.
Since this summer i have a salty taste in my mouth and a strong fishy smell in my vagina.No burning,no discharge.But an awfull strong fishy smell when i have sex with my boyfriend.It comes and go.
I was really wondering what it was but i am almost certain it is Lupus related.
Hi i (22 yr old female, have had my mirena iud removed to try fix the smell). I have had regular monthly smears to try and work out if its an infection (bacterial vaginonis which is basically a smear but it tests for the bv instead of cancer cells) or anything majorly abnormal and so far no luck, doctors, family planning people and alternative health professionals have all given me the once over to basically say i seem perfectly healthy. My current gp has said that it could be abnormal flora (stuff that grows to keep the bacteria fed. so to speak) growth and that the ph level is not quite right from the copper and should normalize over time.
I have a very similar problem.  The smell started about a year ago for no apparent reason.  Same boyfriend for the past 4 years, same birth control pill for the past 2 years, no smoking or drinking or drugs.  It smells very metallic as opposed to fishy.  2 PAP smears have come back normal and my doctor simply tells me that some women smell more strongly than others.

This smell is so strong that sex has become embarrassing and unpleasant.  Neither abstinence nor sex makes it stronger or weaker.  The only time I smell somewhat normal now is during my period, which actually smells BETTER than what comes out the other 3 weeks.

I have always had a strong smell and excrete quite a bit during the day, but the smell was never unpleasant or embarrassing.  Even after a shower the smell is still there.  I can't even open my legs during the day without getting a whiff.

If anyone has found any solutions, please let me know.  Also, I have never been diagnosed with lupus.
I've had 2 learn how to regulate my vaginas behavior. Condems realy leave a bad smell on my vagina after intercourse. During sex I hav no smell at all I mean water. Then later I will sweat a metalic oder. Bv was very hard to control but I found this homopathic treatment sort of like vitamins to keep ur vagina clean and ph balanced. U can buy at any rite aid or drugs store
I’ve had the same problem of vaginal odor and finally solved it, and it was so easy!!  I feel so much better and so much more comfortable now that it’s resolved.  I wanted to post something about this because I noticed on a lot of comments when I was searching for answers that people are going on antibiotics and that may not be necessary.

I got a Mirena IUD about 2 months ago and I’ve had some form of spotting/bleeding/discharge most days since I got it.  My doctor told me that should clear up after about 3 months.  I ended up noticing that my vaginal odor was getting worse and worse no matter how much I washed and I was feeling really embarrassed about it.  My doctor told me that because of constantly having blood in my vagina (even a small amount) I ended up with bacterial vaginosis (he tested me for it).  Thank goodness the solution was simple.  He told me to douche twice a day (I’ve only done it once a day) with a vinegar douche.  He specifically said not to use anything except vinegar and water.  I went to a drugstore to buy a douching product just to get the applicator (I bought summer’s eve douche – which should probably not be used because it has fragrance in it and it could make things worse).  I got a 1 liter screw-cap wine bottle, washed it out and rinsed it well and mixed 2 TBS of apple cider vinegar (you can also use plain white vinegar) and filled the rest with water.  I dumped out the Summer's Eve douche and refill the applicator and use it in the shower, making sure to wash it between uses.  The reason this works is because the vinegar makes your vaginal PH more acidic (the way it’s supposed to be) so that the bad bacteria die out.  It made a huge difference after just one use and that was about a week ago.  I can’t believe how much better I feel now.  If you want to get something that’s a little longer lasting than douching, I also bought a product called Rephresh which is great too.  Just google it to get more info.  Good luck girls!  Don’t worry – there’s a simple solution that you can do today for virtually no cost.    
Its crazy Ihave the exact issue! The smeel goes away during my mentual  cycle! I fact thats the only time it smells normal! I always run frm one obgyn to the next they keep saying I have re urrent bacterial infections or atleast thats what they treat me for but after the antibiotics i soo after get a yeast infection. The smells clears for awhile then comes back. Abstinece doesnt necessarily help, nor does protected sex with condoms.. Sometime the smell is fishy but primarily its undescribalbe (not fishy just somethkng foul) ive went frm test to teat no std's nothing abnormal! Its quite embarrassing and themore i stress a out it the worst it gets! I have an obsessive amount of discharge but some woman do more than others. The oly time i disnt have this ordor as much was when i  was on the depo but my hair fell out i was depressed so on so forth but at this point i feel like at the rate im going id ratger the hair lost tha. The ordor! :( help!
Hi, I'm a 40 year old woman. I've never had an odor problem and actually my past boyfriends and current husband tells me they've never smelled a woman fresher with a taste of cleanness.  Here's my routine..I hope this helps you. I only use lever 2000 orginial soap, all others soaps are too heavily perfumed..which can and will throw off my PH and I use very light perfumes on my chest and stomach area only. I douche once a month three days after my period goes off. When I was in my twenties I was douching three times a week when my GYN-o told me I was washing away my utereus lining and advised me to douche only once a month because our vagina naturally cleans itself...which it does. I shower twice a day, three times when my period is on and I don't sit down in the tub. I also uses pads during my period...not stick ups. Try wearing all cotton panties so your area can breathe and don't wear any to bed.  
what's the name of the treatment you mentioned in your comment?