Foul Gas x 1week before mentrual period every month

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I am 32 y/o female 5'7", 150lbs, 2 children and happily married. I do not take any medication or BC pills. I have minimal stress. (many blessings!)My problem: Every month approx one week prior to onset of my period...I experience horrible foul smelling flatulence.  It is embarrasing and needless to say hard to ignore. 3-4x times a year it is accompanied by severe and sudden onset diarrhea, migraine, and other common PMS symptoms.  In researching this topic, I find much on PMS symptoms and treatment...but little mention of this particular problem other than "IBS" or "bowel changes". I do not have mood swings (even husband agrees) but, I am often more tired, clumsy-(I drop things), stutter, and have uncomfortable back pain DURING my period.  What is causing this smell? I am not kidding when I say it is THE foulest odor you can imagine and for 3-4 days of the 1 week it is frequent. Obviously, I try to "hold it in" if in room with others and it is not explosive but, it is so foul I even wake up in the middle of the night because the smell has woken me. I have what I would consider "normal" gas normally.  Please help...I want to know the specific physiologic reason it occurs and what I can do about it.  Thank you.
Sounds like you need to see a specialist possibly a gastro or digestion doctor.  I would usually say it's due to what you've eaten the night or day before, at least that's what it is for me, but if it's every month, then I don't know what it could be.  If it is bothering you as much as it sounds like, I'd definitely see a doctor about it.
I stumbled across your post and I too suffer from similar symptoms.  I have THE foulest smelling gas the week or week and a half leading up to my period.  It is most of the times accompanied by loose stool, sometimes diarrhea.  Outside of this time period, I too have normal gas odor and stool.  It is tolerable now simply because I am single, but if I were married or dating it would be completely misearable.  I have considered seeking physicians advice, but wanted to research it a little further.  Have you had any new updates?
For the women writing about the foul smelling flatulence...here's some advice from me...I have been a pharmacist for 13 years:  You can try taking over-the-counter magnesium supplements...400mg a day a few days before you usually have this problem.  There are also other over-the-counter odor reducers available, but most of them contain chlorophyll (which is a natural substance that makes all green plants green...and is a natural do-odorizor)...but magnesium is a main component of chlorophyll, so it works just as well and is inexpensive. Magnesium is very safe to take.  In fact, if you don't eat enough greens, you may be slightly deficient in this essential mineral, although most doctors aren't aware it, or don't think it is important.  They can only measure magnesium levels OUTSIDE your body's cells, which may be normal, but INTRACELLULAR magnesium may still be low.  There has been research to study if the US should put magnesium into the grain supply, like it does many other vitamins and minerals, to ensure people get enough.  Cardiology doctors often prescribe their heart patients to take magnesium because it is essential for our cardiovascular systems to work.  It works great, and you can buy it anywhere, usually as magnesium oxide.  It will not stop the gas, but it will de-odorize it.  Also be aware that foul smelling gas is often the result of eating too much processed foods...if you try to eat natural it won't be as bad.  Good luck!
I just posted the comment about the magnesium...and if you want you can type in "magnesium" and "odors" or "deodorizer" into the internet and see lots of info on it!
Hi..It's been awhile since you posted.  Did you ever receive any anwers about your "monthly issue"? I have the same symtoms (symptoms) every month, including the studdering.  Just looking for answers!  Thanks!
I have a similar problem...not the foul gas but definitely smellier than usual.  Also, the day of my period I get severe diarrhea.  I've never even had cramps before, so this recent condition seems very strange and I can't find any information to tie diarrhea to menstruation.
I can't offer any help...but if there is strength in #'s I'll help make you stronger;)  I'm 45 and I've had that problem, well, forever.  It is about a week before my period...and you are not kidding...it is sulfurous gas.  I have several theories.  First, I'm wondering about endometriosis...possibly some endometrial stroma glands in the colon that are playing with the balance.  Secondly, strong downward engergy (Chinese or Ayurvedic medicine) that compounds things.  Thanks very much to the magnesium poster...I'll definitely give that a try.  If nothing else, it makes one look forward to menopause ;)
I too have EXACTLY the same symptoms.  I will give magnesium a try as well.  Has anybody had any luck with it?
I, too have the same problem, although lately it seems like more than just that week!!  If indeed there is a magnesium problem, isnt magnesium tied to calcium absorption?  and if so, then we are all not getting enough calcium!    My Grandmother had this problem too, as I recall, and she ended up with severe osteoporosis.  also, I do have endometriosis, but who knows what causes this...I have always maintained that it is the hormones we produce around our periods that causes the reaction.  
We've been married for almost 6 years now, and I've been very sensitive, understanding, and supportive so far, but it is getting old.

I hope someone can find a cure to this issue because it is really starting to irritate me.  My wife says she isn't aware of the exact moment the gas is being passed!  This just sounds rediculous to me because I've had many years of passing gas.  I know when it is developing, when it is building, when it is unbearable and when it NEEDS to get out!  So when I hear her say, " I can feel it " really shocks me and pisses me off.

I don't want to sound like a complete ***, but my patience is running down and out.  To top it off she doesn't seem to want to try anything that might help the situation.  I'm also getting angry that I wasn't made aware of this before we got married.  It wouldn't have been a deal breaker, but it would have been nice to clear the air. (punn intended).  I feel some resentment developing in my gutt.  This whole thing may sound a little shallow and immature, but I didn't have anything hidden from her about my body.  From the jokes between her and her best friend, I know that she has had this issue for a long time-even before we got married.

signed,
Frustrated and fed up.
You will pleased to hear that I have found the cure.  About 10 days before your period is due cut out milk and everything that contains milk - butter, cheese and the numerous things that contain milk powder.  This includes goats milk and other types.  I am English and so have tea with milk but I still have this because it is against the law not to.  Margerine made with 100% sunflower oil is a good alternative to butter.

The thing with milk is that in your stomach it reacts with the acid and turns into a cottage cheese like consistency and ferments, which causes gas.  I don't know whether this is made worse in the lead up to a period because we have more of an acidic environment in our gut because of hormones or whether out digestion is slower but whatever the reason it works.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on.
Thanks to everyone who has posted about this I am very grateful.  I have been too embarrassed to ask anyone about it and was very happy to find this discussion. I am only 18 and just started having this problem about two months ago. I never had this happen to me when I was younger.  I will try to avoid milk, I do eat a lot of dairy.  If anyone else has had other treatments that work, I would appreciate the help.  
Hello folks!

Cant thank you guys enough.I am about to get married,and i always was paranoid abt the whole flatulence thing.Shall try giving up milk products and include Magnesium.Pls lemme know if someone comes up with a remedy.Thanks a tonne
                                                                       sam
I was just reading about endometriosis the other day and I found that it is known to cause painful periods, digestive problems including gas (if it is intestinal endometriosis, where cells of the uteran lining begin to migrate to areas of the GI tract), dizziness and clumsiness around the time of your period, severe cramps, bloating, etc. and roughly 10 percent of women have it! That's a lot...
Here are some links:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/endometriosis/DS00289

http://www.infertilityphysician.com/endometriosis/intestinal.html

I also like what our pharmacist friend had to say about magnesium. I know that most people don't get enough organic, nutrient laden, fresh, raw greens! That's our best bet for total nutrition, so  be sure to eat your salads ladies!
I would have to disagree with the magnesium suggestion. I started taking calcium (500 mg) with magnesium (250 mg) 2x a day about 6 months ago. I too have this gas issue about a week before my period. This issue started about 3 or 4 months ago and that was with me taking magnesium. If anything, the magnesium increases my intestinal activity because if I forget to take it for a couple days I become constipated. I'm really hoping to find an answer for this because it's beginning to affect my romantic relationship with my husband.
I have had huge success with gas odor control with activated charcoal tablets.  It doesn't reduce the bloating though.  For bloating, Gas X or other OTC Simethicone medicines helps some. I have found better relief with 1tbs raw apple cider vinegar in water (I know...its amazing though!). Reducing sodium has helped too. My theory is that hormones throw-off enyme or acid production and undigested food is reaching the intestines.

Don't eat dairy while taking charcoal - it will make it useless. Take it right after you eat. Also, if you are on medications, DO NOT TAKE CHARCOAL 2HRS. BEFORE OR 1HR. AFTER MEDICINE.  Charcoal binds to toxins and will absorb your dose.  This could mean pregnancy while on the pill.

It took me a long time to figure out that it was a PMS symptom and not IBS or allergy.  This was a relief.  Now I can prepare for it. I have a reminder in my computer calendar to let me know its coming.

Hope this helps like it did for me! Certainly worth a try.
This happens to a lot of women. The prostaglandins (substances that cause the muscle contractions that push out the menstrual blood) can cause intestinal spasms. This can cause bloating, flatulence, and an increased number of bowel movements.

If you start taking Advil or Aleve the day before your period starts, it'll cut down on prostaglandin production, and should reduce your symptoms. Taking Gas-X and/or a half-dose of Imodium (immodium) AD may also help. Cutting back on your sodium and caffeine intake, and exercising are other self-care measures.
Thank you so much for this discussion. I have felt like this is just something I have to deal with, this awful gas - and I have for years. I do not eat any processed foods. I eat lots and lots of greens - I make green juices and try to have greens at either lunch or supper or both. I eat very little dairy. I exercise regualry. I feel like I just don't know what else to do. I am studying tai chi and kung fu and actually feel like I cannot attend class when my gas is so bad because I just hate exposing others to it. I will try magnesium, and charcoal, too. I'm for anything that isn't prescritpion really. I appreciate the discussion and I really appreciate knowing there are others out there dealing with the same nonesense... power in numbers!
Hello, I am really confused right now. Well my first reason is because im 12 years old and im about to turn 13. My birthday is new month and im wondering iv been recently feeling cramps and not to be emberrising but a little gas. I am wondering if that is a sighn if getting my first period soon. Oh and also headachs? Please get back to me A.S.A.P, Thank you you internet friend
HI Honey- I was actually reading all of these posts because of my little girl. She is 10 and has all the signs of pre-puberty. Yesterday she just could not stop "gassing us out" -it went on non-stop for hours. She woke me up in the middle of the night complaining of the gas, and a headache. I knew she'd eaten a normal diet because I've been with her all week. What made me think it was period related was that I have the exact same thing- but like so many of the previous comments, I felt like it was just me. My daughter has not started the official bleeding, but everything else seems to be mapping her a time-line. With school about to begin, I'm worried for her socially. The tips have been encouraging. I'm 42 and have asked doctors through out the years- frankly- female bodies & hormones seem quite complex for the medical world to deal with. It's important for you to be pro-active with your body, and I applaud you for reading & posting a comment.
signed- I'm just a Mom
I too have this problem for a few days each month.  Absolutely foul to the point that I have to change my clothing & bedding, no joke.
I haven't had it all my life but at least the last 8 years or so. I am 41yo.
I used to get it every evening without fail & I saw a naturopath about it.  It was put down to fructose malabsorption so I eliminated fructose from my diet & it seemed to work for about 6 months.  Then it came back.
I decided to cease taking the contraceptive pill as I thought it might be related to hormones because it was always that bit worse just before my period. It worked!
I still get this foul gas for a few days each month but not for the rest of the month like I used to which is such a relief.
Therefore I do believe it is related to hormones. Hopefully there will be some research into this so we no longer have to suffer at all.
@FRANKZHERE is an ***. guess what, dude? farting is normal..it is ridiculous to say u weren't aware that your wife farts!!!!
as if the stress of bloating and and more flatulence and all the other side effects of having a monthly period weren't enough, it is little boys like u that make it so hard for women. your wife probably feels too embarrassed to talk to you about it!! and of course she is- u act like a frickin moron. frankly, i hope she leaves u, u immature ***.
u'd probably kill urself if u had to deal w/ having a monthly period just because ur such a baby.
as if the stress of bloating and and a bit more flatulence and all the other side effects of having a monthly period weren't enough, it is little boys like u that make it so hard for women. your wife probably feels too embarrassed to talk to you about it!! and of course she is- u act like a frickin moron. frankly, i hope she leaves u. *******.
Thank goodness for this little string of comments I thought I was a total weirdo. Some months there is the foul stench- and you better believe I just put magnesium on my grocery list- other times its just an amazing amount of essentially odorless gas. Like Ripley's Believe it or Not amazing! Seriously- a fart will be so big I can actually feel myself deflating. I'd be careful with the cutting dairy thing though- the reason we can't put down the ice cream is because our bodies are losing calcium every time we menstruate. Some researchers think that because women are having more periods in their lifetime (read: less babies, later in life) we are essentially flushing our system of calcium each month and that is what is causing osteoporosis in older ladies.
Oooh that's interesting!  I've given up on giving up dairy and I don't think it makes much difference.  Like you said some months it is worse than others and at the moment I am accepting it as a symptom of menstruation and that it is linked to our bowels.
So, I am not alone! I have often wondered if this were a problem for other women. This putrid gas thing didn't start until about 8 to 10 years ago. I am 35, but didn't start my period till 16. It started sometime in my 20's. It took a while to realize it was always a few days before my period. I've had other strange side effects from my period hormones in the past - I used to have an allergic reaction during the week before my period, where my eyes would start to itch. If I didn't immediately go flush them with cold water and take an anti-histamine, they would puff up like one of those puffy eyed goldfish! For some reason, that reaction went away after I started wearing contact lenses on a daily basis vs. glasses. I have no idea why, it just brought it to an end - possibly because of the constant mild irritation of having contacts in my eyes, who knows.

Regarding the gas though, it is extremely abundant, horribly smelly, and so hard to hold in. I have often skipped out on plans with friends because of it. I'm definitely going to try the magnesium and the charcoal, each separately, to see which one works better.

Also, for those of you on birth control pills, I have been off of them for 7 years, since I had my tubes tied, so it's not caused by them. At least not in my case. I remember my mom having very foul gas sometimes when I was a kid, but there was never any discussion about it. Unfortunately, she passed away a few years ago, so I can't even ask her about it, now that I am bold enough to discuss it.

I am so grateful to have found this discussion. I will make sure to report back on whether the magnesium or charcoal help. I also remember hearing on a commercial that Midol helps with bloating. Gonna try that too, hoping it will cut down on the amount of gas.
Did you try the magnesium?  Did it work?  I was hoping to read that someone had luck with this.  Lots of theories, but nothing concrete.  I've had the foul-smelling gas for the past 3 years and cannot imagine dealing with this for 10+ years.  It's embarrassing, disgusting and makes intimacy difficult.  If anyone has any sound advice -- something they've tried that works -- please post.  I'll do the same.
so glad I stumbled on this page--it just occurred to me last month that the gas I've been having the past 5-6 months is related to my cycle. I'm 30 years old; I've been off the Pill for nearly 6 years; I exercise regularly and eat very little processed food. I was taking acidophilus to try to improve my digestion, but was probably taking too much. Am getting my probiotics in food now instead. I don't drink milk but eat about 1/4-1/3 c of yogurt or kefir daily.
I haven't yet tried the charcoal. I too thought it might be a fructose intolerance until I realized that the gas was tied to my cycle.
One thing I have noticed: sex helps! Only once was I worried about passing gas while being intimate; afterwards, however, I felt much better... something to keep in mind, dolls!
Alright, my trick is to make sure there are GREENS eaten! Try laying off the glucose/sugary snacks, too esp during those last 10 days before menstruation. It is the MAGNESIUM deficiency (love that CHOCO, right?) that seems to be the cause. It's difficult to know which kind of supplements of Mag & in what combination (Cal, D) the body will absorb best. I hear CHELATED Mag is best absorbed. For me it's not forgetting the GREENS at the very least every other day; every day is best. The darker the better (not Iceberg lettuce).
I am 41; mag deficienct since puberty. I've had a long time to find the pattern! T.
I too suffer with this problem and have for years. It’s always a week to two weeks before my cycle and the smell is horrible and embarrassing. I was off the pill for 10 years but my doctor recently put me back on and for the last month it’s happening almost every day. I definitely agree that it has something to do with hormones in the pills and the hormone changes we go through before our menstrual cycles. I was really hoping to find a cure or solution, but atleast I know I am not alone. I eat pretty healthy and workout 3-4 times per week. I used to think it had something to do with what I was eating but since the problem increased after I got back on the pill, I think I found the culprit. Hormones, synthetic & natural…
I too have had this problem  for about 9 years.  I finally tied it to my cycle and have tried the magnesium.  It is somewhat effective but not really. I have also found that when I don't take it I get constipation.  
I have begun to wonder if it may be related to having a tubal ligation.  I never had problems like this until my son was born 9yrs. ago and I had a tubal. I also had to have a C-section at the time.  Has anyone else thought they may be linked somehow?
I have gotten to the point where I'm thinking of having a total hysterectomy and hopefully it would take care of the problem I have with flatulence.  
I too suffer from extremely loud and stinky farts a week before my period.
It seems to get worse at night when I go to sleep. I've actually slept with my blankets off so the smell wouldn't make me sick.
Magnesium doesn't seem to do anything. Neither do probiotic yogurts. I've never tried charcoal or GasX type products.
The thing that helps me is grating a tbsp of Ginger mixing it into a cup of boiling water with a tbsp of raw sugar or honey to take the edge off.
This drink has been a lifesaver in the mornings since I like to take the commuter bus and don't want to gas bomb everyone.
I usually swallow the grated Ginger for fiber. Sometimes I throw it into a tea ball strainer or just squeeze the juice out if I don't want clean ginger bits in my water bottle/thermos.
I hope this brings relief for some of you.
Don't use artificial sweetners since that give intestinal bacteria a gas-producing feast and we don't need that extra gassy boost.
i am 25 and have had this problem since i started my period. i have not really found i cure i have tried everything and my DR. is stumped too. it dose help to exercise more around that time too. i also suffer from horrible pms and i have cramps for a week or two. there r at least 3 days of my period were i cant get out of bed and i have severe bleeding. the first 2 days of my period i go through 7 to 10 pads a day i have been told that is because i release 2 eggs at a time by several DR.'s. so it makes sense too me if any one has any new ideas about how to solve any of my problems please let me know. it have dealt with it this long but i would like to try anything to help. thanks for your time and ideas.

I always thought I was crazy that this happened to me.  My problem is compounded by the fact that I have Ulcerative Colitis which also causes these symptoms so, sometimes it's hard to differentiate what is causing this to happen.  But, it took me a few years to learn to tell them apart.  I have to say that excersing really helped me.

I'm sorry that we have to suffer with this embarrasing and usually uncomfortable issue but I'm glad that I don't suffer alone!  
Getting a colonic helps me when the gas starts to get gnarly. This is an unscientific assessment of why--but I imagine that the colon hydrotherapy session flushes out lots of the feces laying around, which may add to the bacteria and odor.

I walk out feeling a lot lighter and less stinky! If I could afford it, I would do it every month, the week before my period starts.

(A disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or anything close to it, and I'm not a colonic sales person! Just a person who has suffered, too.)
I wanted to add about Magnesium supplements. You must NOT take a supplement higher in calcium than magnesium. You should be getting at about a 2:1 ratio of mag to cal.
Magnesium is needed to absorb calcium and if you take too much calcium you will deplete magnesium and have side effects of improperly absorbed calcium, (arthritis, osteoporosis).
Check here for a more detailed explanation--
http://www.mgwater.com/calmagab.shtml
I came cross this because I was looking for answers for my 22 yr old daughter,she has painfull gas build,diahrea,she throws up sometimes and when she dose it has a god awfull smell(im talking when she throws up too). This also comes on a week or two before that time of month. I dont know what to do for her. Oh she also gets pale white and a fever. If anyone kniws what this is and knows what to do please let me know. Thanks
Just wanted you to know that I had these symptoms of horrible smelling gas along with back pain before I got my period and it was endometriosis. I had laproscopic surgery, then got pregnant two months later and one year and no more symptoms. Hormones are definitely at play, I will get my thyroid levels checked after I finish breastfeeding.
wow! for years i have had this prob. always seemed to avoid being around anyone while it was  happening until the other day. My poor bf was like " oh my god was that you?" i owned up to it and felt really stupid! for the rest of the day i held it in which made my cramps worse. letting "it" go really helps relieve my horrible cramps. like a few other women on this page i also have endometriosis. i have had painful periods since i was about 20 where i typically throw up and have severe bleeding for the 1st two days. my perids last about 7 days, ectreme bloating, awful mood seings and headaches the works. Ive had a hard time at work with the pain as well and if you work with women who have never experienced bad periods they think your a wimp and will never understand! glas to know im not alone and that i can tell my boyfriend its not my fault haha
hmmm i guess i should read before i post, lots of typos, sorry!
i have every symptom(except throwing up)since i was a kid .although i dont bleed as heavy anymore,but still have the same symptoms..as i got older the cramps are better ,but omg the gas and stomach problems are still the same....anxiety,sinus problems ect too.it so stinks being a women when it comes to this..avoiding dairy does help,but i dont usually due to being addicted to ice cream .dairy was made for a baby cow not humans...i find crystlized ginger,a heating pad,relaxation,and gas-x helps...staying healthy with eating right and lots of exercise helps everything...and keeping stress down.although i know thats a hard one..as i write this right now im suffering.ouchy...so try what ever you can and i hope you find something that helps....but remember we have hormones and we need to stay strong...and that man or any man that doesnt have compassion has got to go....we deal with more crap from them ...so good luck everyone and stay positive and healthy.ill try to also...xo
I am 27yrs old and suffering from The same thing. It is the foulest smell ever. I would be thrilled to know exactly what causes it. Mine is also accompanied by sever bloating and what I like to call my "pregnant belly" because my stomach becomes so distended I can push it out to look about 6mon preggers! So far I haven't been able to find any help. But good to know I'm not the only stinky girl onthe world :-)
I am my own gas symphony -- it is unbelievable. I feel the farthest from attractive as you could imagine, with a fat, bloated stomach and stinky horrible and relentless gas; it is so loud it can rattle glasses. I am certain my neighbors who share a wall with me can hear it.
I keep thinking I have cancer. I know that's extreme but it runs in my family. This is horrible stuff. And I only eat dark, fine chocolate. If I have to give that up, well.....I'm throwing in the towel.

Good luck to all of us. My farts are worth of the crown of Godzilla. UNREAL.
I was googling this problem and came across this forum.  I am 22 and have been suffering from this issue as well although the amount of gas in my body continues is supplied throughout the entire week. Although I managed to cut out the foul flatulence, which is by cutting out the cheese/milk from my diet a week before menstruation (however, it is still EXTREMELY difficult because I'm on a natural menstruation, which varies from month to month), but I'm still left with lots of gas albeit they don't stink.  Now, I'm left with controlling the sounds I make while I'm out in public and often resort to crop dusting. The real question is, how in the world can we cut out the gas in our bodies during menstruation????
@AmandaWallace- You might want to look up the symptoms of Celiac's Disease. I got diagnosed a year and a half ago and also had the pregnant belly look, plus digestive/gas issues.
Like most posters in this discussion I came upon it after googling symptoms. Thank you for posting and showing the world we're not the only sufferers. I was feeling very alone in my smelly world.
I shall be trying the magnesium... I can't really try the cutting of the milk because my periods are so very irregular I honestly have no idea when they're due. To be honest, the gas tends to be my only heads up that I'm due on in the next week. It's useful... But it's also very anti-social and embarrassing!
Thanks guys, and good wishes x
Smelly gas is also on my top 10 list of problems.  Definitely near ovulation time and so I'm assuming has to do with hormone fluctuation...mostly progesterone as that effects all smooth muscle including the muscle surround the intestines.  As soon as I notice the nasty gas I start taking PROBIOTICS daily and this really seems to help almost immediately.  I have switched to almond and soy milk so the dairy thing is NOT the cause.  I do agree with another comment that states simple carbs like candy, sweets, ect... they product a lot of gas as they are digested because of the high carbohydrate count in them.  
Hi I am 19yrs. old and I am sooooooooo glad and relieved that I am not the only one that feels this way I seriously thought something was wrong with me! And it always happens a week before my period is that normal????? I am so happy to hear I am not the only one that has this problem!
You guys I am a vegan and eat about no processed foods. If it stinks that bad, you probably have a poor diet. You need to eat more fresh and raw foods. Stop eating processed foods, including fast food. What I have been reading it is natural as the body is sending out signals to release the lining of the uterus and the instestines get caught in the cross fire. So it is apparently normal as we have read. But it stinks because of your diet. Even too much meat will cause odor. Just my opinion.
Oh my, I am experiencing this hell of nature right now. The diarrhea started Monday, the gas Wed., then my cycle today. The gas machine that is my bowl has been on full, stinky blast. If I normally ever do have flatulence, it's not like this--only during this time.

Couple of things, this started happening when I turned 40 (now 41). I was always lucky to have a normal 28-day cycle that lasted 3 days with few problems. Not anymore! Now it's every 35-40 days, heavy lasting 5-6 days, spotting in between with the crazy symptoms above (also add bloody stools).

I have another appointment with my Gyno next week--they put me on the "mini-pill" and it made it worse!!!

@Gretel275: I used to have spotting and happened to mention this to my chinese acupuncture doctor. He gave me chinese herbs called Jia Wei Xiao Yao Wan, and within two days of taking those, the bleeding had stopped. That was a spectacular result. The herbs have also helped a bit with lumps in my breasts, have made PMS spots on my chin disappear completely, and have made the general PMS a bit better. I THINK it has helped a little bit with the gas, but it has not made it go away; or maybe I just need to take them for longer (I have been assured you can take these herbs for years if need be).
I am 30 and my friend and I have always called it "period gas". I think more women have it than will admit to it, but I also had it during pregnancy, with both my children. As for the monthly loose stools, my doc said they were caused by the same hormones that make out uterus contract (intestines contracting) to shed the lining (our period ). Don't have any suggestions, other than Gas-X and keeping a food diary. HTH!
I wonder if there are evolutionary causes behind us getting this unfortunate, foul smelling flatulence. Could it be that by this way, female mammals may be keeping the males off them during menstruation I wonder. [..if other female mammals suffer from the same thing too because many mammals have overt or covert menstruation]
Well you can add my 15 almost 16 yr old to the bunch.  She's been getting terrible bloating and burping monthly - along with a little stinky but not terrible farting.  We eat about half and half process/natural foods - but she does eat a ton of vegetables (more than most teens I would guess).  She doesn't drink milk or soda so that helps but is a big cheese/yogurt eater.  I'll get her on the suggestions and watch this discussion.  Plus will try gasX.  thanks for the suggestions everyone!
OMG, I thought I was the only one.   The gas, the pain, the mood swings, the headache...everything!
Thanks for your comments and advice. (-;
Dear Ashland,
I came to this string of discussions by chance, and also by chance I read your post. I hope you are allright now. Couple of years ago, I had the same PMS like you described (horrible cramps, massive flows) and turned out that there are considerably-sized, benign growths (in my uterus). The doctor operated and I have not had those symptoms anymore (no more horrible cramps or massive flows), but I do still suffer from horrible indigestions and allergic symptoms a week or so toward the onset of my period, as well as suffering from clumsiness and muscle pains!
I think a lot of this has to do with our diets.  If we eat "bad" food on a regular basis, this is already built into our digestive system.  When the hormones go out of whack during our monthly cycle, the IBS can kick in and cause all kinds of havoc.  I use to have this problem too, but my work around was due to gull bladder issues starting to develop.  I stayed away from fast food, soda and processed foods.  I also started taking Philipps Colon Health pills each night... which are great!  The pills help reduce gas in general and I no longer had the bad gas during PMS time.  I am a firm believer that our diet is related to a lot of the issues we experience.  Try staying away from the bad foods and take the Phillips Colon Health and see if that helps.
I'm vegan too and I have this stanky problem. I think it's the production of prostalgndins that's the culprit. The nerves in that region of the body are pretty mashed up as well.  But there's nothing wrong with cutting back on processed foods.  I'm stoked to try out activated charcoal!!!!
Hi there.
I'm in the same boat. I've wondered about trying to sell this stuff for use on chemical warfare. Thank god I am not in a relationship, as I don't think it would last long. When I remember to take the magnesium in advance and during my period, the ammunition really does loose the stench, but the gass/sounds are still very present. I would love for them to dissapear as well.

I'm eager to try the charcoal and to try cutting out dairy for half the month. Does anyone have any yogurt/breakfast alternatives that are gluten free?? . For those that don't have time/patience to read the whole thread, be sure to check out the link some awesome person posted in terms of magnesium: http://www.mgwater.com/calmagab.shtml
my ex-husband used to call them period farts and they came at the same time every month, right before my period and for the first day or two once it started (i'm very near menopause now, missed one period, but am certain i'm going to get it this month because i'm once again having period farts.)

other  period symptoms?  dramatically increased sense of smell (my grandmother had the same thing) and crazy sex drive.
I have the same thing. Heavy periods, bad cramps, and stinking farts. I have endometriosis. I cut out caffeine, cut out dairy, went to a mostly plant based, low sodium diet. This is my first month of trying it so its still on trial but so far i feel much better with the PMS, bloating, cramping, mood swings, and breast tenderness, like nothing compared to how I used to be. Im gonna start something like a miralax to keep my bowel clean throughout the mouth since Endometriosis can cause alot of problems with that. We"ll see what happens. Thank you for posting, and I wish you all the best.
i have it exactly like you!!..i wish i could figure it out!..being 21 and just about to live with my fiance for the first time..i dont want him to know about it..its so embarrassing NO ONE knows about!! :((
Wow - I have just discovered this post and like many of you ladies suffer with foul smelling wind a week before my period until I turned 40ish. For the past 3 years I have had no flatulance problems whatsoever. I haven't changed my diet (I've always eaten very healthy) or changed anything significant. I just think the flatulance was due to monthly hormonal changes. I think I am in the premenopausal stages and maybe that's why the wind has stopped. Just a thought.
just fart to your heart's content. at least it feels good when it's out! and farts are supposed to stink! consider it comic relief every month :) lol.
Wow! I can't believe how old this thread is and yet women are still adding to it. Just goes to show how many of us suffer from the same thing! I think it's great that we can all talk about this and exchange advice.
I'm 32 yrs old and a mom to a 6 yr old. I never had any PMS growing up(started period at 11) or any.issues during period either..not even cramping.  But i did have a heavy flow. It became less and less as i got older. I'm not on BC either and have a good diet.
I recently figured out it was appr a week before my period that I started experiencing this. It is CRAZY how a women's body changes once she hits her 30's. Now at 32 a week before my period,  I have extreme bloating, CRAZY gas, dizzy spells, back pains like labor pains, and total nausea. A lot like pregnancy symptoms!  I started keeping track of how ofteb this happens and realized it was always right before period was due. I.didn't know these issues were SO COMMON (nausea,  gas, dizziness) before period or even during. But once i researched, i saw how there's sooooo many women dealing w the same thing. I really was thinking that i was pregnant every month! Bc all these really are soo similar!  But once the tests were coming out negative,  I.began to worry that there was something wrong with me.  I have not found anything that works except emetrol syrup for the nausea.  It alsi helps me release the gas too. But regarding the odor, i have no had any luck. Has anyone tried these suggestions from the other members?? Curious if anything worked.
-Donna
Same here, so glad to come across this comment list. Because of persistent IBS symptoms, I've gone gluten-free the past 6 months and have been lactose/dairy-free for much of my life. I take 400 mg of magnesium a day, plus several other vitamins and minerals in my multi-vitamin/mineral supplements from Melaleuca (for almost a year now). I completely agree with the vegan posts that food and nutrition matter!!! I'm 24, and this particular symptom has plagued me for the past decade of periods. I remember one overnight bus ride during middle school, I had to release a lot of flatulence in order to try to get to sleep, and my best friend said, "It smells like sulfur!!" I blamed the guy passed out behind me (I know....). Anyway, sometimes the excessive gas IS odorless, but often it smells unusually awful - yes, I agree with "sulfurous." And always about a week before my period starts, lasting about 2 days. Just knowing I'm not alone is helpful. Maybe there isn't a cure-all other than listening to our bodies. Here's to the people who matter most to us understanding and bearing with us. Thanks everyone.
Saw this reply on another forum and I thought it might be helpful. Many women go through this every month so its not the foods that you eat:
While the foods you eat are important, you are saying that the approach of your period is what makes the difference to your farting. As I understand it, this is because of the increased production of a hormone-like chemical called prostaglandin series 2. The purpose of this is to stimulate the muscles of the uterus to shuck off the lining that has been built up over the preceding few weeks, causing a period.

Series 1 and series 2 prostaglandins act differently and can get very out of balance as the menstrual cycle progresses. If there's excess series 2 then this necessary muscle stimulation can get out of hand and cause the pain of muscle cramps and also affect the bowel and bladder. Like all chemicals in the body, they do lots of things and it's all stupidly complex. But the effect on the digestive tract can be to change the production of digestive juices and stimulate the peristaltic muscles - both of which can cause excess gas.

The traditional way of counteracting the series 2 prostaglandin is to increase the production of series 1. And that's where the essential fatty acids come in, specifically the omega-6 GLA (gamma-linoleic acid) found in borage oil (starflower oil) and evening primrose oil. You may find it helps to take borage oil for a week before you expect the symptoms to begin. Some take it all month.

A less natural option is to inhibit the production of prostaglandin series 2 in the first place. This can apparently be done by taking NSAIDS (aspirin, ibupofen etc.) during the week approaching the onset of symptoms. If the production of the prostaglandin is reduced, it may make your period last a little longer because the muscles of the uterus aren't working so hard.

Source(s):

http://www.endo-resolved.com/prostaglandins.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostaglandin
I am so glad I am not the only one who suffers from this.  Usually I try to keep away for everyone when this is happening but that can not always be possible.  I think I will try the Evening Primrose as suggested in a previous post.  I did tell my boyfriend about it, well basically warned him, and now it sort of makes us giggle but I would obviously prefer if it did not happen.  The other day I was in a queue in the Post Office and I could feel one coming on, panic.  There was a guy in front of me who looked like he had been working on a building site, he had mud all over his shoes, fresh mud.  So I moved a little closer to him, stinky arrives and I promptly moved back.  Everyone thought it was him.  I know it was awful but it worked.  Luckily this time I had a few moments warning but that is not always the case.  I was giggling to myself all the way home.  
Dinosaur
I had the same issue.I had an outgrown number of bacteria on my intestine (h.pylori) I take pills of enzymes,probiotics and activated charcoal( absorbs the odor)
This issue took me years to somebody to figure it out.This issue can develop IBS as well.Stay away from conservatives,sorbitol,grease,fast food and processed food. some places call this S.E.B.O.
The test used to detect this is an O2 test..usually doctors do all kind of crappy test that dont help out a bit.
Good luck
Thank you so much for your expertise.  Because I do not have health insurance, I often seek the advice of pharmacists.  I feel they are an overlooked great source of knowledge.  We rely too much on family practitioners.  The truth is, pharmacists are experts of chemistry and how our bodies utilize elements, chemicals, nutrients, etc.
Magnesium works. Give it a go and you will see. I bought it over the counter and i take 2 tablets daily and the amount of gas is still there BUT the smell is totally neutralised !
I do not eat ANY processed foods and also have this problem.  I grow 80% of the food I eat, it is all organic, nothing processed passes my lips, and the week before my period I get the worst smelling gas around. Please don't judge what others eat from posts in a forum.
I too have terrible gas and cramps coming up to my period. I noticed whilst on holiday in June, my period came and went without any gas or issues. Very shocked!!! Then July,August I went back to my smelly ways. The only thing I could pin point was that I rather drank coffee on holiday and had no dairy for the whole week because it was horrible. I also eat less bread. Think I may have to try my theory out next month. :)
That foul smelling odor is NOT caused by processed foods. I don't eat processed foods yet continue to get that foul smelling odor during my menstrual cycle.

Tired of so called health care professionals constantly deflecting blame onto people with healthcare concerns.

Gastritis is common during menstruation. The foul smelling odor appears to be associated with the blood and tissue discharge, although, like many of you I am seeking answers, not accusations.
It's been almost 2 years since this problem started.  Thought it was related to damage down there after child delivery.  Went through physical therapy but the gas problem continued. Gastro found I had H pylori and treated it, however, the horrible gas problem was still there.  Next, he thought it was celiac/gluten intolerance but came back negative.  Small Bacteria Overgrowth test came back negative as well.  I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism but after medication the gas is still there.   Full scan of my body and 100 other tests to find the cause of this awful bloating and gas but nothing else was found. I decided to put myself on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and the gas decreased a lot (less odor and quantity)  

I had PMS symptoms every day of the month and also passed gas every day of the month.  For some reason though it could be IBS or worse that's why I put myself on the diet.  After the diet, the symptoms of constant PMS stopped and only get them before my period starts.  I was eating healthier for instance my PMS symptoms decreased a lot. It definitely has to do with a hormonal change in our bodies, the night sweats, mood swings and tender breasts everyday of the month made me realize it's hormonal and not what I eat.  I started keeping track of when the gas problem happens after I read this thread and it does happen right before my period and during my PMS symptoms.  I'm so thankful you help me figure it out.  

The SCD diet, baking soda, probiotics and ginger capsules are helping me manage it somehow but not entirely.  I still have this awful problem.  I'm considering trying Maca and see if that can put my hormones back to balance,  I also wanna try the FOOD MAP diet a few days before my period since it's a odorless diet.  I'll post again If I have any luck with this.
Thank you so much for nailing that idiot where it hurts. Wonder if we should tell him that when a woman is in labor the pressure from that is equal to 53 bones fracturing at the same time. Bet he'd **** his pants before it got past the first stage of a period lol
My post is purely anecdotal. I agree with this theory.  For months, I have significantly reduced my intake of caffeine, cheeses and milk products and noticed that the foul flatulence 1 week before my period was practically non-existent.  I also ate more veggies and less meat.  In the past month, literally 1 month, I had to take a trip back east and had started a bad cycle of the "old" diet- included more meat, cheese, milk, and this past week alone have been drinking coffee with some skim or soy and had pizza twice. It is one week before my period and the flatulence is back.  I'm now back home and can get back on my regimen of leafy greens, fruits, nuts and almond milk.  No more pizza!