Foul vagina smells

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Foul vagina smells

I have been experiencing this foul vagina smell along with a whitish discharge cream in my underwear, and also have lower abdominal pain for about three years now. It has cause me to have a very low self esteem to be around people because of the smell that is really bothering me. I am not sure what infection I may have. I wanted to call my doctor to set up an appointment, but I am worry that I may not know what to tell the receptionist what I am seeing the doctor for. What will be the most appropriate yet not too embarrassing way to say it (when the receptionist ask)? I am scare that this infection issue I am concern about will cause me a bigger problem in the future if I don't get it treated. What should I say or do? Please help.
Avatar n tn
There are several possible causes of vaginal discharge with odor.  The two most common are bacterial vaginosis and trichomonas, but many other problems can do it as well.  You defintely should see your health care provider.  Just tell the receptionist you want a check-up for vaginal discharge with odor.  Believe it or not, you have the single most common complaint that brings people (male or female) to doctors' offices in the United States; vaginal discharge and/or odor are more common than headache, the common cold, or pregnancy.  Your doctor's staff are more likely to be bored by your complaint, not titillated.  Trust me, they have seen it before and won't think twice about it.

HHH, MD
Avatar n tn
The Doctor is so right. They really won't think twice about it. You could just tell the receptionist that you suspect an infection or if it has been a year since your last annual exam (and it must have been quite a while since you have had this for longer than a year) you could just make the appt. for a complete physical exam and once in the exam room while the nurse is going over your history, just tell her what is going on and she will make a quick note for the doctor to be aware when he comes in to do the exam. And believe me, you will be one of hundreds they will see with the same complaint this month.
No more fear, or embarrassment, just go get yourself taken care of! You can do it!
--J
Avatar n tn
You dont even have to tell the receptionist if ur not comfortable.. Just make an appt & see the doctor.  You'll be much happier gettting it taken care of than not!  Good Luck
Avatar n tn
not only that but you may have something so simple that can be taken care of with a pill or cream, however, if you wait too long it may turn into something much more serious and can cause a heck of a lot more problems down the road. get it checked out soon, don't wait.
Avatar n tn
I totally, totally agree.  Please see the DR.  We sometime forget how much they have seen.  Vaginal discharge may be a bit embarrassing for you, but it is such a routine issue for them.  Best of luck to you.
Avatar n tn
Thank you to all of you who have provide me with these very great advice. I will call tomorrow to make an appointment. Your comments are very encouraging and helpful. Thanks a lot. :-)
Avatar n tn
GET TO THE DR. ASAP!!!!  YOu do no not have to tell the receptionist why you are there, say it's a personal matter. I have had to. Better safe than sorry..

Let us know what happens.
Avatar n tn
I have experienced this problem for quite some time. Therefore, I went to do my papsmear test about 6 months ago. At the same time, I ask my doctor about my smell problem. He told me that its ok to have smell. He quoted 'If you have no smell, then you are not a woman'.
I was quite relieved then, but the smell still continues at some time especially during sexual intercourse with my partner.
I uses the feminine wash but it doesn't seems to work. I really feel a tremendous drop on my self-esteem. It's embarrasing and disgusting.
I was wondering if the smell is due to my frequency use of panty liner. I'm not very sure about this. Maybe any of you could give me some idea. Thanks.
Avatar n tn
well, we all do have some type of smell down there. however, it's when it's foul, fishy smelling, unusual discharge, burning, itching that is cause for alarm. in that case it could be a yeast infection (but doesn't usually have that "fishy" smelling discharge) or bacterial vaginosis which does.

has your partner commented on your scent?
also, i would not use any pantiliners since yes, they can trap the odor even more. i would avoid any feminine douches, washes,wipes, smelly soaps, body washes etc... our bodies have a way of naturally cleansing itself (the normal discharge) and anything else can exacerbate the situation.

have you been tested at your obgyn for BV or any other type of infection? i hear that a water, vinegar solution can help restore the natural PH balance so if you are to douche, you should do so with that combonation.
Avatar n tn
I've had this problem since I hit puberty. Every one says it is normal to have a smell, but they don't realize the extent of it, I feel like when I walk into a room everyone covers their nose, etc. It's hurt my self-esteem a lot also. I've gone to the MD and had pap smears, bacterial cultures, taken antibiotics and meds for yeast infections, but nothing has helped. Unfortunately I think it IS just a part of me, some people develop stronger scents than others. I'm still going to different MD's to see if they can find something different. I hope that you will not give up either.
Avatar n tn
I just posted a question today I think titled strong amonia (ammonia) odor, see what it says.
I'm young, still in my teen years, and I've been having some problems. For about a week I've experienced a nasty fishy, rotten smell from my vagina. I've had lower abdominal pains before and lots of yeast infections. But never a smell like this! I used a cream for yeast infections and it toned the smell down a little, but it's still there. My butt hole has also been itchy and has a green sometimes orangish discharge, sort of like ear wax looking goo, coming out with my bowels. I'm very concerned! Thinking about calling the health department, but wanted to ask for help first.. thanks!
Amit7373 joined this community
Welcome them!
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
KTowne We got a puppy today.. we a... Comment
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals