Found Problem: Sebaceous Cyst in Labia Minora

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I've posted recently about a bothersome problem that I've had in the gyno area, mainly related to soreness and occasional itching. Closer inspection by me revealed some sort of little bump recently, but I [evidently] hadn't gotten to the right doc.

Key points to note:

Prescribed Temovate/thought it worked kind of well at first but then changed mind; started having a lot of pain yesterday.

Looked at area with mirror and discovered it to be ravaged looking.  More inspection revealed a bump inside.

Got in to see doc today; said it's a sebaceous cyst and is deep and wanted me to first take soaks in tub, etc. to try to get it to come to a head.  Will lance in a week if trouble persists.

Anyone have much experience with these?

Temovate discontinued (wonder why? ! LOL)

Comments welcome,

Hoosier
typical removal of a Sebaceous Cyst involves cryo-surgery... done in the doctors' office.

NOW, I can't imagine that this approach would be taken with this particular location... that sounds much too sensitive an area.  Sometimes these cysts can become inflamed just like any other pore.  That is why he told you to apply warm compresses.  

I've never heard of a Seb Cyst "coming to a head"  that sounds more like a boil, which would need "lancing".  If it is a boil, use boiling salt-water on the compress.  When the compress is tolerable apply it to the boil.  (don't burn yourself trying this!!)  It'll come to a head after about 3 days of doing this 3-4 times a day.  It may not even need lancing, as most often they burst on their own.  Care for the wound diligently if this happens.

It may be both though, a boil behind a cyst.  Get yerself some mirrors and watch it closely.

Good Luck
Thanks for your response.

I hope this doc knows what in the world he's dealing with.  He called it a sebaceous cyst, and he said he'd lance it next week if it's still the same size, bothersome, yadda yadda.

HOWEVER!  I do realize the risk of infection spreading by declaring war on it now, but what difference would it make if the cyst is still getting ready for a showdown next week (same status)?

I've heard about cryo surgery but don't remember what's all involved.

I'd like to ask you this also:  If the cyst is lanced and I still have trouble, can they just be actually excised?  Is the cryo surgery an excision process?

It's costing too much $$ to go to the city frequently.  The cost of putting fuel in my van is more than my co pay!

I think this guy is knowledgeable, but I'm worried that he's 'too' conservative or something.  Then again, maybe he's just following a certain protocol/going through the motions and then will get more aggressive about the approach to actually "take down" this silly cyst or whatever it is.

I was worried that it might be cancer.  Another thing that bothers me is that why, in a week's time, would it go away when it's obviously been there for so long?  Unless, of course, he thinks that the sheer act of soaking in warm water wil draw it to a head.  BTW, it's not anywhere near coming to a head.  I think we're going to have to call in the big dogs for this one!  hee hee

I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks again for your response.

Hoosier
Hey! I'm a Filipino girl and i'm very bothered about the small lump that appeared in my labia minora. It just appeared when i have my menstruation visit.
I used to have this problem about 12 years ago.  I always thought it was related to my weight (275 lbs.)  It would become so enlarged I could barely sit at my desk for 8 hours.  After having a gastric bypass, I didn't have one for about 10 years, up until about 3 months ago.  Now I'm working on my 3rd one in 4 months.  I have no idea what has caused them again, I haven't changed any habits.  They usually burst easily with hot baths but this last one is really hanging on and painful.  I've always been too embarrassed to see the dr. about them.  
I just 'popped' one of these cysts this morning.  Last night I was applying hot compresses to it.  This morning it came to a head.  I have had these off and on for years.  Puss and a little blood is what comes out of them.  They are quite painful to pop, but I find heal faster after that.
A few days ago, I noticed a small bump on my labia minora that was a little bit sore. By the next morning, the bump just about trippled in size and the whole left lip felt almost solid and was very swollen. I went through that day with a lot of discomfort, but I read on one of these websites that taking a hot bath would probably make it pop on it's own. I took one bath and it didn't do anything. Then I took a bath last night, and when I got out, I noticed that the bump was letting out a bit of blood. I tried to let it drain but when I squeezed it, it hurt too much. It's drained out quite a bit of the puss and blood since but it's stinging a lot and I know there's still more puss in there. I'm just wondering how long it usually takes to drain all of the puss and blood. It seems that everyone else experiencing these cysts usually have them longer than a few days but I don't know if there's something I can do to make it less painful. Pleaseeee help. I've been reading a lot of forums about these but none are saying how to finish draining the puss.
I have been getting those disgusting cysts since I was 13. Over the years I learned different ways to treat them because I dont plan on paying a doctor to pop them for me. I tried salt water but that was way too harsh and even though it worked it made the area raw until it healed. Lately I found a lovely solution called witch hazel it is an astringant that dries up the cysts without causing too much discomfort. You can also use it on other parts of the body as well.
I have found that using witch hazel cleansing cloths and placing them there ( and replacing each time I use the bathroom) almost disolves the cyst
Ok so I had these like lumps aroud my genital area(im a girl btw) but under my skin and i didnt know what they were so after doing some research i came to the conclusion that they were sabaceous cysts. I figured that out a long time ago like 2 years ago. So  didnt do anyting about them cuz they didnt cause me any discomfort and they would go away on there own and then come back and then go away ect...but then somehow (its a long story..i was playing soccer when it happened) i managed to accidentally i think pop one of them. It hurt momentarily  when i first did it ,but then stopped hurting so it took me a while to even notice it was popped. But then whilst I was going to the bathroom i notcied that i had popped it because where the cyst was I had kinda like and open sore almost and it was kinda bleeding with some pus,,it looked almost lieka  blood blister...So i thought it would go away on its own like heal up but its been about 3 months now and hasnt goten anybetter, i think its because when it begins healing or scabbing over i somehow re-open it. I would usually just deal with it but it has been hurting lately so I really want it to go away but it doesnt seems like its gettign any better. Plus everytime i re-open it by mistake, not only does it bleed but more pus comes out..so im guessing that means its still not done drainng. Does anyone know when it will heal or how to heal it quicker?? And if its not done draining, how can I tell when it is??
I had that same problem last year...I would feel a bump every 3 weeks, and it was painful when it would surface before it 'popped'.  It happened at least 3 or 4 times and I realized the problem was not going away so I saw a doctor who recommended I get it surgically removed.  It worked but then it got infected which turned into another surgery to drain it...it was painful but I haven't had a problem since.  The recovery only took about a month before it healed completely so I would definetely recommend seeing a doctor if the problem persists. Hope this helps :)
It sounds as though some of you have abcesses...not sebaceous cysts.  An abcess (abscess) starts out small, red, and hard.  It may have little to no discomfort, but after a while, it may get larger, harder, and more painful.  When you squeeze and mess around with it, you're spreading staph bacteria around, and you're only inflaming it more.

DON'T DO THAT.

As soon as you see an abcess (abscess), either apply witch hazel, or try a sulfur-based drawing salve.  KEEP THE AREA CLEAN.  No matter how clean you are, staph bacteria resides on your skin.  Try keeping it as clean as possible with soap and water, and dry thoroughly.  If you intend on using witch hazel or drawing salve, put some on a sterile pad (first aid pad) and put it on the area.  By doing this, you're not only putting the ointment on, but you're keeping the area clean.

Change it when you use the restroom, but be sure to follow the instructions on the drawing salve.  Most say 1-2 times per day.  The drawing salve actually breaks down the skin over the abcess (abscess) until it eventually ruptures on its own.

Yes, it's gross.  Light yellow/beige looking pus may ooze out with a combination of blood as well.  DO NOT TOUCH IT WITH YOUR HAND.  Use a clean sterile pad to blot it, and place the pad over top of it to keep any outside bacteria from entering and spreading through your system.

Wash your hands with antibacterial soap, thoroughly, before and after each "bandage" change.  Keep the area clean.  I cannot emphasize this enough.  DO NOT try to squeeze it or get any more pus out of it - leave it alone.

If you don't leave it alone, you may find yourself heading to the doctor's to have HIM lance it, and you don't want that.  Lidocaine is injected around the area, and then the abcess (abscess) is lanced.  You think that's bad?  The doctor then goes in with special forceps and breaks apart the bacterial abcess (abscess) - this is painful as the lidocaine cannot numb this area.  The doctor will probably pack it with sterile water dressing and cover it.  He will prescribe you with antibiotics, and you would have to come back three days later for a dressing change.  SO DO NOT POP IT.  DO NOT SQUEEZE IT.  LET IT DRAIN ON ITS OWN by following the directions above.

I am not a medical doctor, but I do have medical training.  
P.S. Soaking in a hot bath is also NOT good.  Use warm/hot compresses of hot water/washcloth placed on the area (don't burn yourself.)  If you are in a hot bath, and your abcess (abscess) ruptures, the infection is spread to other parts of your body.
I had my first boil lanced by a doctor yesterday. It had been a week and warm compress es and ichthammol was not bringing it to a head. Along with lancing, he prescribed an antibiotic and said to soak in a hot bath twice a day for 20 min. I went to an urgent (minor) care office and the procedure was free. The antibiotic was also free at Publix grocery store!