Fractured rib or something else...?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Fractured rib or something else...?

Hoping someone can help. In May of this year, I had a chest infection and very bad cough, I am skinny & when I had the infection I got sudden pain in my left ribcage and could hear a crackling sound every time I breathed in and out. I ended up at NHS 24 to be told that I had fractured my rib during coughing and was given some tablets.

The crackling noise disappeared within a week or so. However 5 months down the line I still get niggling pain that tends to happen every so often, and I have also realised that the rib feels like it has a lump on it (like how it did in the beginning.)

Is it possible to still have rib pain 5 months down the line? And could the lump be from the rib not healing properly?

Any advice would be great.
I would go get an x-ray to see how it healed up.  Rib fractures take longer to heal and yes you can certainly do this just by having severe coughing etc.  But yes if you still have some pain and are concerned I would go request an x-ray.
KTowne commented on KeeLolo's status
AppleBr commented on photo
AppleBr commented on photo
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals